PDA

View Full Version : Year in Review

NittanyLion2k7
01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
First let me say this : Penn State will probably always be a 2nd tier Big Ten team until Joe Paterno leaves, or completely hands over the reins of the offense to someone who thinks running on first and second down with Rodney F**ING Kinlaw is a bad idea. It was foolish and obnoxious for me to stomp around these forums and parade before the PSU vs. Michigan game.

- College Football is ******. The original idea of the BCS is to have voters sort out seemingly identical teams with identical records in nearly identical conferences in terms of quality of play, and depth of talent. That is no longer the case as the SEC is clearly the dominant conference and what is traditionally considered a power conference like the Big Ten, has really fallen off in terms of talent. Until the gap between the conferences narrow, we will continue to see teams like Hawaii get blown out in a BCS Game, and Ohio State get romped year after year. If there was ever a time for the restructuring of the CF post season, now is the time.

- The parity level in college football along with out of conference games between traditional powers, has generally eliminated Undefeated teams. This year we did not have one single team from a traditional power conference go undefeated, possibly the first time since lord knows when. This is both good and bad, the good is that this means the talent level on teams in general is alot closer, as we see teams like Arkansas beating LSU and teams like Illinois beating OSU. The bad is that we can no longer rely on records and wins to determine who should get a shot at being "The Champion." This year was the first we had a 2 loss team crowned the national championship, but it certainly won't be the last of the BCS era.

To put this into perspective, Joe Pa has coached 5 undefeated teams in his career, and only 1 was crowned a national championship. Nowadays LSU goes 12-2 and ends up as a National Champion, a travesty if I may say so myself.

- I don't know if anyone realistically expected OSU to win. I couldn't have been the only one at home thinking to myself "That's gonna be a blowout, again."
- See above but in terms of Illinois. That's even a bigger mismatch than OSU and LSU.
-

Now onto notes about players/teams :

http://ladiesdotdotdot.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/percy_harvin.jpg
- Percy Harvin is absolutely rediculious. Despite being the sole receiving target and most dangerous running threat on his team, he's still unstoppable. He is just flat out a great player.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/austin_murphy/11/16/murphys.law/t1_dixoninjury.jpg
- Dennis Dixon would have taken Oregon to the national championship save for injury. We would never know... if only...

http://nbcsports.nbcunifiles.com/spts/files/nbcsports/cfb/Week%202%20Top%2025/NoelDevine_320x250_9-7-7.jpg
"This is my show now."
- Steve Slaton has completely fallen off the map at WVU. I don't know what's going on, but his NFL future is in jeoprardy right now. His stock is extremely low if he comes out, and if he stays he'll probalby see more of his carries go to the prodigious one known as Noel Devine.

http://www.dispatch.com/2006/11/05/20061105-Pc-E9-0500.jpg
- Isiah Williams flat out cannot throw. You would think that even with that great of an arm, that he would gun it and chance some throws ala Michael/Marcus Vick. Nope, he flat out cannot throw. He just has no accuracy and because of such has even less confidence. The only thing worst than a QB without accuracy, is one who doesn't have confidence.

http://images.sundaymorningqb.com/images/admin/Flattened.jpg
"!@#$% Me."
- Anthony Morelli has made the least development of any QB possibly in the history of college football. His scouting report is nearly identical to the one he had in high school : great arm, but terrible athlete, poor reads and has a tendency to collapse under pressure. If he didn't play at Penn State, he would have been benched long ago. Alternatively Anthony Morelli is blessed with more natural talent than PSU's previous 2 starting QB's combined. (Michael "Hines Ward 2.0" Robinson and Zack "1/1 TD-INT Ratio" Mills) Yet Morelli has never lead his team to more than 9 wins and a Capital One bowl. If someone told me 3 years ago that Michael Robinson would win an Orange Bowl and that Morelli would never win a game vs. Michigan OR Ohio State, I would probably have laughed in there face.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/college/_photos/2006-09-04-fsu.jpg
- Florida State and Miami have a long way to go before they regain there status as powerhouse schools. At least they haven't dipped as far as Nebraska, they can still recruit.

http://www.myronrolle.net/images/MLRFootballPose.gif
- Myron Rolle hasn't progressed into a playmaker at safety that most scouts predicted he would. His run stuffing ability is superb, but he seems to be rooted to the ground. Myron Rolle hasn't notched an interception in 2 years at Safety. All this despite the fact that FSU is starting 2 corners no taller than 5'9". I guess Myron really was serious about his academics, because he probably has no future in the NFL.

http://images.usatoday.com/tech/_photos/2006/08/16/pennstate.jpg
"Can someone find me a better Offensive Coordinator?"
- Derrick Williams is the most poorly utilized athlete at the NCAA Division 1-A level. I dare anyone else to find me someone with his physical talent who has been put into a poorer position to suceed.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper657/stills/n60571fp.jpg
"My name's the Digger... and err... listen to my speech. We ain't dead yet... oh wait..."
- This season it pained me to watch ND tumble so far down to obscurity and then to be bombarded by douchebags like "The Digger" and Regis Philbin try and boost morale with terribly cheesy speeches. Even Traditionalist Christian lametards who never drink or have sex like the kids at ND deserve better. Good news is next year's schedule looks winnable, with a rebuilding Michigan in week 2 followed by a slate of pedestrian teams such as Purdue, Michigan State, Standord and UNC before an ass romping at the hands of the Trojans in their home finale.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09102007/photos/sports076.jpg
"What the **** is a spread?"
- It really isn't fair that kids like Ryan Mallett sign up for a team believing that the coach has a long term future and that the system will be in place for them when they finally get ready to play. Only to see Lloyd CArr get run off and have Rich Rodriguez come into town, fire off everyone on the staff and pledge to run a cat and mouse show on offense. Ryan Mallett is far from a cat or a mouse. He's more like an elephant. A large elephant at that. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070908/070908_jimmy_hmed_7p.hmedium.jpg
"I didn't sign up for this... I'm the chosen one I tell you! CHOSENNNNN"
- Jimmy Clausen has throughly disappointed in his first year at QB. We were all bombarded by the hype train and led to believe that he was such a spectacular QB, that he could overcome things such as a terrible OL and inexperienced WR's. We were lead to believe he was an NFL level QB playing at the College level, and that he would sling the ball around for 70% completion rates and throw touchdowns all over the field. Now, we're discussing whether he will start over Evan Sharpley next season.

http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/sports/2007/02/07_mknight2large.jpg
"Does that mean I get to have Kim Kardashian too?"
- Joe McKnight has the rare opportunity to become the "Next Reggie Bush" which is just another way of saying "The most explosive player in College Football. " But first he's going to have to wrestle it away from Percy Harvin...

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/28/287983.jpg
"I guess Kanye was right... nothing's ever promised tomorrow today."
- Cameron Newton will most probably transfer. I doubt he ever sees the light of day in lieu of the recent development of Tim Tebow. So far he's said all the right things and has been patient. But when Tim Tebow stays for his senior year and Newton will end up as Matt Flynn/Todd Boeckman part Deux, his mind will change quickly.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1027/ncf_a_sanchez_200.jpg
"BUT YOU PROMISED ME A TICKET TO THE NFL!"
- Mark Sanchez vs. Mitch Mustain and Aaron Corp. Aaron Corp has pretty much no shot. And between Mark Sanchez and Mitch Mustain, I'm goign to have to put my money on Mitch. Many might not remember but Mitch Mustain went 8-0 as a starter his true freshmen year in the SEC. Mark Sanchez barely beat Arizona and got romped by Oregon. Good bye Mark Sanchez, start filling out your transfer papers now...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tenn/galleries/05-football-season/11-5-nd/dsc_2242-lg.jpg
"That lying fat son of a !@#$%."
- Zach Frazer and Demetrius Jones. They both decided to enroll at ND and were blinded by the hype that is Charlie Weis. A year later they were both at schools that were significantly less than where they coudl have been. Jones could be headed as the starter next season for either OSU, Tenn., UNC or Louisville. Whie Zach Frazer... well he never was very much talented away. However both will share one thing in common : welcome to obscurity.

Things to look forward to next year :

Ryan Perilloux finally starting as a tiger : will he live up to the hype?
Mitch Mustain at the helm of a loaded USC team : will they return to the National Title game?
Tim Tebow and the Gators undisputedly the frontrunners headed into next season.
ND : Will they rebound?
Michigan : running the spread offense with David Cone, a cautionary tale of "How to lose 10 games your inaugural season as head coach."
PSU : Daryl Clark the Michael Robinson part 2? We can only hope.

Where will Cameron Newton and Mark Sanchez go? Who else will be a depth chart casualty? The 08 season is 9 months away, and already I can't wait.

http://www.baton-rouge-guide.com/images/LSUcheerHaley.jpg

"She's the only one who hasn't had sex with the football team."

soybean
01-08-2008, 10:13 PM
welcome back.

Barbecue Bob
01-08-2008, 11:15 PM
The big question is will Pryor follow RichRod to Michigan, but if Mallet leaves and Michigan doesn't land Pryor they are screwed. After the debacle that was this past season Michigan really needs RichRod to restore Michigan to its past glory.

P-L
01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
My thoughts on Carr and Mallett:

- It really isn't fair that kids like Ryan Mallett sign up for a team believing that the coach has a long term future and that the system will be in place for them when they finally get ready to play. Only to see Lloyd Carr get run off and have Rich Rodriguez come into town, fire off everyone on the staff and pledge to run a cat and mouse show on offense. Ryan Mallett is far from a cat or a mouse. He's more like an elephant. A large elephant at that. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.Lloyd Carr was not run off. He has been contemplating retiring for a couple years now and informed Bill Martin before the season that this would be his last. The decision was already made before the Appalachian State debacle. Everyone knew that Lloyd wasn't going to be at Michigan much longer. I cannot believe that Mallett went to Michigan thinking that Lloyd would be there all four years.

Rich Rod has tried to get Mallett to stay. He's talked to him numerous times, before and after the Bowl Game. He promised Mallett that if he stayed, he would tailor his offense to suit Mallett. But to be honest, Mallett has been wanting to transfer since before the season. He enrolled early last January and had already hated the weather and was homesick before the start of the season. There were many rumors of him transferring before this past season, but it didn't make news because no one thought they were serious. Mallett is using Rich Rod's system as an excuse to leave without looking like he couldn't handle it here. It is NOT the system. If Shaun "Freaking" King could set records and become a 2nd Round pick under Rich Rod, I can only imagine what Mallett could do under him.

kwilk103
01-09-2008, 01:19 PM
but sean king could also run

RyanLeaf#1
01-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Demetrius Jones went to Cincy, and next year will probably back up Mauk if he is granted another year of eligibility. As far as Clausen goes. I dont think its fair to count him out. I dont think any QB can overcome a bad O-line and inexperiences WR's as a true freshman. Especially not a scrambling QB. He showed signs of progression at the end of the year, and personally I dont think Sharpley has a chance to play next season. Notre Dame should be fine for seasons to come at the QB position with another 5 star coming in next year. I also expect Kyle Rudolph to make an immediate impact. The number 1 TE in the nation who will replace John Carlson. I'm very thankful that next year Notre Dame has Michigan and Pitt at home. You might be thinking Pitt??? But they are a team next year who I think can have a national impact.

terribletowel39
01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
i think the point of him bringing up shaun king, is because shaun king is dook and Mallett is better than dook. so he should do wonders for him.

vatech=accdomination
01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
perfect way to sum it up at the bottom

soybean
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
like you, i can't wait til the next season.

this season has been a nightmare.

from oregon state getting creamed by cincy to cal losing to oregon state.

then USC getting embarassed by stanford then getting throttled by Oregon.

then oregon whoopin ass to getting beat by the wildcats.

and finally the two most hated schools making the NC.

NittanyLion2k7
01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Demetrius Jones went to Cincy, and next year will probably back up Mauk if he is granted another year of eligibility. As far as Clausen goes. I dont think its fair to count him out. I dont think any QB can overcome a bad O-line and inexperiences WR's as a true freshman. Especially not a scrambling QB. He showed signs of progression at the end of the year, and personally I dont think Sharpley has a chance to play next season. Notre Dame should be fine for seasons to come at the QB position with another 5 star coming in next year. I also expect Kyle Rudolph to make an immediate impact. The number 1 TE in the nation who will replace John Carlson. I'm very thankful that next year Notre Dame has Michigan and Pitt at home. You might be thinking Pitt??? But they are a team next year who I think can have a national impact.

Cincy isn't a terrible team, but it's definiteily not a traditional power by any means. He could be competing for a starting job at Tennesse, Louisville or UNC right now, all of which have more talent on there squads. If he had signed up for any of them, especially Tennesse or Louisville, he might be the starting QB by default snice Ainge and Brohm are departing.

As for Notre Dame and the Dome hype, I'm goign to reserve judgement until the season rolls around. This sounds liek the same old song they were playign last year, yougn team, great incomign class, and bla bla bla. Well look how that ended up, 3-9. There's a difference between bringing in elite talent, and actually getting them to play to an elite level. Notre Dame is loaded with talent, but I'm not jumping on that ship again until they reel off 9+ wins in a season post-Brady Quinn era.

As for the Mallett/Lloyd Carr situation, I had never known that. Never knew Lloyd wanted to leave, and never knew Mallett had intentions of leaving as well. But stil, you had to know. As a kid from Texas, you had to know what the weather is like in Michigan and that you would be far away from home and etc. I'm not totally buyign the Mallet part.

I'm genuinely sad to see Lloyd Carr leave under those circumstances. He was always a great coach, and a class act, despite the 2 second crap he pulled back in 05. I wish him the best.

TouchdownUSC
01-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Mark Sanchez transfering?? Not so fast my friend! I think he still did great and could be SC's QB next year. Do I think Mitch Mustain is great? Absolutely. I think they both have a chance but all thinks being equal im going with Carrol picking Sanchez. Carrol said he has the strongest arm he has ever coached and Norm Chow said he was one of the best prospects he has ever seen. I think no matter who are QB is next year they will be more of a game breaker than we had this past year.

NittanyLion2k7
01-11-2008, 04:16 AM
You can put your money on Sanchez, but I'm putting it on Mustain. He's got just as many physical tools, except he has 8 games of SEC experience at his helm, and is easily the more poised of the two QB's.

badgerbacker
01-11-2008, 10:39 AM
You can put your money on Sanchez, but I'm putting it on Mustain. He's got just as many physical tools, except he has 8 games of SEC experience at his helm, and is easily the more poised of the two QB's.I know people don't typically care about the Wisconsin QB situation, but that was our situation at the beginning of this year. Allen Evridge has a better arm, more mobility, started more games, and was said to be the better leader by the coaches. All Donovan had going for him was the fact that this was his 5th year in the system. Don't rule out how important familiarity is for coaches.

Jughead10
01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Cincy isn't a terrible team, but it's definiteily not a traditional power by any means. He could be competing for a starting job at Tennesse, Louisville or UNC right now, all of which have more talent on there squads. If he had signed up for any of them, especially Tennesse or Louisville, he might be the starting QB by default snice Ainge and Brohm are departing.

You really think Jones could start at any of those schools? What has he shown you that makes you think he do anything at all? Jones at QB would be like shooting fish in a barrell in the SEC.

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 12:06 PM
USC really likes Sanchez despite him getting in a little trouble and not having too much experience. They will give him every shot to be the guy. If he crumbles, then Mustain will start. But when's the last time a QB crumbled under Carroll at USC?

Turtlepower
01-11-2008, 12:07 PM
USC really likes Sanchez despite him getting in a little trouble and not having too much experience. They will give him every shot to be the guy. If he crumbles, then Mustain will start. But when's the last time a QB crumbled under Carroll at USC?

People will say John David Booty, but everyone forgets that he broke his thumb during that Stanford game. It is not that easy to throw a football with a broken thumb. =D

Billingsley26
01-21-2008, 12:13 AM
This is why I love College Football. Great post man. Welcome back. Dont worry, I was right behind you in that thread.

VoteLynnSwan
01-21-2008, 12:35 AM
well you're wrong about Juice Williams not being able to throw... there were definite strides during the season, and there's no reason that that can't continue into next season. He passed very effectively during the OSU game, and again was performing well into the Rose Bowl before that costly redzone fumble and the subsequent drubbing USC put on Illinois.

Iamcanadian
01-21-2008, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=NittanyLion2k7;830378]First let me say this : Penn State will probably always be a 2nd tier Big Ten team until Joe Paterno leaves, or completely hands over the reins of the offense to someone who thinks running on first and second down with Rodney F**ING Kinlaw is a bad idea. It was foolish and obnoxious for me to stomp around these forums and parade before the PSU vs. Michigan game.

***Here I agree, until Paterno retires, Penn St. will not be a national power again.

- College Football is ******. The original idea of the BCS is to have voters sort out seemingly identical teams with identical records in nearly identical conferences in terms of quality of play, and depth of talent. That is no longer the case as the SEC is clearly the dominant conference and what is traditionally considered a power conference like the Big Ten, has really fallen off in terms of talent. Until the gap between the conferences narrow, we will continue to see teams like Hawaii get blown out in a BCS Game, and Ohio State get romped year after year. If there was ever a time for the restructuring of the CF post season, now is the time.

***Whether we want to admit it or not, I think it is more a case of the Big 10's decline than the SEC's rise to power. The truth be told, USC and West Virginia give LSU a heck of a better tussle than Ohio St. did. As for Hawaii, Boise St. was an example of a mid major beating a huge Div 1 program not too long ago.
Voting is never going to be able to decide the National Champion but unfortunately the ability to change the format is almost impossible now that college football has become big business. There is so much money involved that this now takes precedence over having a true champion decided on the field.

- The parity level in college football along with out of conference games between traditional powers, has generally eliminated Undefeated teams. This year we did not have one single team from a traditional power conference go undefeated, possibly the first time since lord knows when. This is both good and bad, the good is that this means the talent level on teams in general is a lot closer, as we see teams like Arkansas beating LSU and teams like Illinois beating OSU. The bad is that we can no longer rely on records and wins to determine who should get a shot at being "The Champion." This year was the first we had a 2 loss team crowned the national championship, but it certainly won't be the last of the BCS era.

***It was a very unusual year which isn't likely to be copied, in that the major powers either had an untested QB's or injuries took down the better ones. Next year will be completely different with many of the top schools having their QB's return. Don't get carried away by 1 season.

To put this into perspective, Joe Pa has coached 5 undefeated teams in his career, and only 1 was crowned a national championship. Nowadays LSU goes 12-2 and ends up as a National Champion, a travesty if I may say so myself.

***Here I completely agree with you. Unfortunately Penn St. was an independent during those 5 seasons and independents couldn't overcome the voting strength of conference teams.

iowatreat54
01-21-2008, 02:36 AM
well you're wrong about Juice Williams not being able to throw... there were definite strides during the season, and there's no reason that that can't continue into next season. He passed very effectively during the OSU game, and again was performing well into the Rose Bowl before that costly redzone fumble and the subsequent drubbing USC put on Illinois.

yea well when you throw screens and short slants its pretty easy to complete 65% of your passes...he isn't an atrocious passer, but he is sub-par compared to average college qbs...anyone who brings up his "improvement" in pass completion obviously hasn't watched illinois or they would know that 75% of their passes were screens to Mendenhall/Benn or short slants to WRs...Juice still has a long way to go to prove himself as a competent passer