PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt says Dorsey could fall out of top 5 because of knees

Iamcanadian
01-09-2008, 04:49 AM
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/dorseys-knee-could-affect-draft-status/

I for one, won't be shocked if he falls out of the top 5 just like Peterson did because of the injury. In a perfect world, GM's wouldn't have to worry about injury concerns like a lot of draftniks think it is unimportant, but in the real world when you are giving out 60 million dollars to a top 3 pick of which 30+ million is guaranteed, most GM's will pass on a top 5 guy who isn't able to pass his physical with a complete clean bill of health. They are looking for a top 5 talent who has no lingering doubts in their mind about their health.
Just because he looked good in the NCG doesn't mean his knee is completely sound. The doctors are going to have a lot of say in where Dorsey is drafted.
Anybody who thinks an injury history shouldn't impact where a player is drafted, simply doesn't understand the impact of a top 5 pick going sour. The impact of having to carry a player at top money who cannot play, can destroy your team's chances for 4 or 5 years to be competitive. You also have to factor in that unlike draftniks, GM's can be fired and their careers destroyed if they draft a player who the doctors say isn't completely healthy and the owner is stuck paying him 30+ million dollars for zero in return.
Once you get past the top 5 picks, the financial consequences diminish considerably and that is why Peterson went #6.
Unfortunately, many draftniks don't live in the real world, they live in the Madden world where career ending injuries aren't a concern.

Sveen
01-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Great post, and I have to agree with you. It's simply to big of a risk to draft a player in the top 5 if there are serious questions about his health. Hopefully Dorsey will be able to pass is physical though and go on to have a great NFL career :)

Buffalo M
01-09-2008, 05:45 AM
It will be interesting. I was watching some College media types on ESPNews the other day who wondered if he could stay healthy as a pro. The Indy Combine will answer most of those questions. He'll be under the spotlight by scouts and Doctors.

I still can't believe the cash outlay for these Top 10 picks. That's not right.

Sveen
01-09-2008, 05:50 AM
If he falls out of the top 5 maybe the Saints can make the move to have him stay in Louisiana ;)

PACKmanN
01-09-2008, 06:07 AM
He shouldn't fall, AP proved to everyone in the top 5 that he was fine and should have been drafted ahead. I doubt he falls.

Sveen
01-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Teams might have made a mistake on Adrian Peterson, but he and Dorsey are two different players with two different injuries. I'm not a doctor, but I think knee injuries are pretty complex?

Iamcanadian
01-09-2008, 06:32 AM
He shouldn't fall, AP proved to everyone in the top 5 that he was fine and should have been drafted ahead. I doubt he falls.

Peterson wasn't healthy all year and it cost Minny in the playoffs. Besides, the jury is still out on whether or not Peterson will remain healthy for most of his career. One season doesn't make a career.

dRaFtDoRk
01-09-2008, 09:16 AM

Well thats two different sets of knees we're talking about here.

P-L
01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Peterson wasn't healthy all year and it cost Minny in the playoffs. Besides, the jury is still out on whether or not Peterson will remain healthy for most of his career. One season doesn't make a career.
The Vikings were 2-0 when Peterson didn't play and 3-2 after he returned from injury. How exactly did Peterson's health cost the Vikings the playoffs?

scar988
01-09-2008, 09:24 AM
if he fell to Atlanta, I'm sure we would take him unless J.Long or McFadden were there. he's my #3 player and would be a great NT next to Babineaux and Coleman and would rotate with Trey Lewis at NT (Dorsey 65% Lewis 35% of the snaps).

derza222
01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
If Dorsey falls any chance a team tries to trade up for him? What pick would teams start making calls to see what it would cost to get him?

Sveen
01-09-2008, 10:50 AM
New Orleans :)

thebow305
01-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Exactly the reason he won't be the Phins pick at number one, which is why Gholston will be.

T-RICH49
01-09-2008, 11:29 AM
he'll look awfully good as a Chief

Jughead10
01-09-2008, 11:45 AM
The Vikings were 2-0 when Peterson didn't play and 3-2 after he returned from injury. How exactly did Peterson's health cost the Vikings the playoffs?

Exactly, and no offense to you P-L, but Peterson looked awfully good juking the Lions defense out of their shoes that first weekend in December. I don't think his knee had anything to do with the Vikings not making the playoffs.

Cashmoney
01-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Tarvaris Jackson cost the vikings the playoffs.

Flyboy
01-09-2008, 12:23 PM
If he falls out of the top 5 maybe the Saints can make the move to have him stay in Louisiana ;)

I like the way you think, sir. I like it a lot.

Nick22401
01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/dorseys-knee-could-affect-draft-status/

I for one, won't be shocked if he falls out of the top 5 just like Peterson did because of the injury. In a perfect world, GM's wouldn't have to worry about injury concerns like a lot of draftniks think it is unimportant, but in the real world when you are giving out 60 million dollars to a top 3 pick of which 30+ million is guaranteed, most GM's will pass on a top 5 guy who isn't able to pass his physical with a complete clean bill of health. They are looking for a top 5 talent who has no lingering doubts in their mind about their health.
Just because he looked good in the NCG doesn't mean his knee is completely sound. The doctors are going to have a lot of say in where Dorsey is drafted.
Anybody who thinks an injury history shouldn't impact where a player is drafted, simply doesn't understand the impact of a top 5 pick going sour. The impact of having to carry a player at top money who cannot play, can destroy your team's chances for 4 or 5 years to be competitive. You also have to factor in that unlike draftniks, GM's can be fired and their careers destroyed if they draft a player who the doctors say isn't completely healthy and the owner is stuck paying him 30+ million dollars for zero in return.
Once you get past the top 5 picks, the financial consequences diminish considerably and that is why Peterson went #6.
Unfortunately, many draftniks don't live in the real world, they live in the Madden world where career ending injuries aren't a concern.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

PalmerToCJ
01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Sure would be a shame if he fell to the Bengals.

villagewarrior
01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
We'll see how that knee is actually holding up come Combine time. Does he need surgery? Is that what the verdict is? Does anyone know? Obviously, health is a major concern, but with a talent like Dorsey some team will take him early, whether it's a team with a high pick, or a team that moves up to get him.

Mr. Stiller
01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Frankly I thought Ellis was better.

Ellis is a player that defies Scheme IMO.

3-4 NT, 3-4 DE, 4-3 NT, 4-3 DT I think he could play them all. Perhaps 3-4 NT wouldn't be his best fit, but I think he could do it.

Dorsey is a pure 4-3 UT and thats it.

urinemonkey
01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Exactly the reason he won't be the Phins pick at number one, which is why Gholston will be.

I've been saying it will be Chris Long since around 2 months ago and I'm not changing that prediction.

01-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Ellis was the better player over Dorsey before the injury IMO but now this just seals the Raiders pick unless Chris Long is somehow still available at 3.

DHVF
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Tarvaris Jackson cost the vikings the playoffs.
Ignorance. There were many more factors that caused us to not make the playoffs than just Tarvaris Jackson.

BuckNaked
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Ignorance. There were many more factors that caused us to not make the playoffs than just Tarvaris Jackson.

He's not completely wrong there, there are two games that Tarvaris Jackson pretty much blew for us. The first game against Detroit, he was just god awful and that Washington, although he played well late in the game, took us out of the game in the first half. We're not exactly a team that caan easily come back from 21 point deficit in the second half, especially when Peterson was running it ineffectively.

thebow305
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I've been saying it will be Chris Long since around 2 months ago and I'm not changing that prediction.

Good for you. Too bad you'll be wrong. :D

SaintsMan
01-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Dorsey will go #1. He is by far the best player in the draft.

DHVF
01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
He's not completely wrong there, there are two games that Tarvaris Jackson pretty much blew for us. The first game against Detroit, he was just god awful and that Washington, although he played well late in the game, took us out of the game in the first half. We're not exactly a team that caan easily come back from 21 point deficit in the second half, especially when Peterson was running it ineffectively.But....we lost 8 games. 2 games simply does not make a season in any way shape or form and I find it very hard to pin that Washington loss squarely on his shoulders. While he played pretty terribly for the most part, our offensive line, wide receivers, defensive backs and coaching staff were all equally bad.

Babylon
01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
We'll see how that knee is actually holding up come Combine time. Does he need surgery? Is that what the verdict is? Does anyone know? Obviously, health is a major concern, but with a talent like Dorsey some team will take him early, whether it's a team with a high pick, or a team that moves up to get him.

I think you're right about them checking out the knee, the thing with Dorsey is he isnt a lock top pick to start with, he has limits on getting to the QB and i guess questions about the knee. Hopefully he will be ok but he could drop if the knee scares people. I dont think he gets by the Bengals unless there is serious health issues.

Patriots16-0
01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think so. Dorsey is a beast, I doubt he fall even to #3. But I always dreamed he playing for us with Vince Wilfork.

BuckNaked
01-10-2008, 03:25 PM
But....we lost 8 games. 2 games simply does not make a season in any way shape or form and I find it very hard to pin that Washington loss squarely on his shoulders. While he played pretty terribly for the most part, our offensive line, wide receivers, defensive backs and coaching staff were all equally bad.

Those 2 games would've made us a 10-6 team and in the playoffs.

Turtlepower
01-10-2008, 03:38 PM
The more I watch Sendrick Ellis, the more I am sure that I would take him over Dorsey. Not by much, but I think Ellis will be a more disruptive force upfront and the kind of player that offensive-line coaches will have to game plan around.