PDA

View Full Version : Will rb's not qb's dictate draft?

bruschis4all
01-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I know there is a school of thought that says you can grab rb's later. But, in recent years some 1st rounders have done very well; A.Peterson, J.Addaii,
L.Maroney, M.Lynch. I see McFadden going to Oakland or Atlanta at 3/4.
I would think Denver, Chicago and Detroit have to consider R.Mendenhall.
Could Houston or Arizona(If they trade Edge) take J.Stewart? Some of the playoff teams would have to consider a guy like R.Rice late in 1st.

Still leaves some potential game-breakers like; J.Charles,F.Jones, C.Johnson and J.Davis available for 2nd round. Thoughts on if your team will consider a back in round 1 or 2.

Matthew Jones
01-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Obviously, this year's class of running backs is outstanding, perhaps the best in recent memory (although the top-heavy 2005 draft, which produced Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Cadillac Williams in the top five was probably considered to be about equal to this at the time), and the quarterbacks class is not as outstanding (although there is still a chance that three go top-10.) I have Houston taking Stewart right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona did, whether they are able to trade James or not, as he's on a steep decline and perhaps the best way to preserve their investment in Edgerrin is to draft Stewart and slow down the deterioration of James' ability. Mendenhall is a possibility for either of those two teams, although I think Denver's running backs are good enough to be able to pass on Mendenhall and running the ball is not important enough to Detroit. Two or three of the backs you mentioned as being second-round picks could also potentially go in the first. I think Jones and Davis would benefit from another year in school, so that they could come out in a weaker class, however.