PDA

View Full Version : Rodriguez expects QB Mallett to transfer

Sveen
01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Rodriguez added he expected freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett to leave, as well, noting he'd done his best to convince him he could fit in his spread offense.

"I believe he is going to transfer," he said. "He has not told me specifically, but he's told other folks in the program, and I talked to him before the bowl game and I talked to him once after and gave him our spiel. But again, if he chooses to leave, he can make a choice he thinks is best for him and we'll be okay.

Source: http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=759359

Sportsfan486
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Woooowww. That would hurt. Ha.

kwilk103
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
and arrington and manningham going pro

so they lose almost their whole offense----henne, hart, long, arrington, manningham

he better hope he gets pryor

and its getting real ugly with the law suit---we requested all cell phone records including text messages and other stuff

Hawk
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Well it's pretty much official he's transfering.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3188170

Tennessee is the early favorite

Sniper
01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
and arrington and manningham going pro

so they lose almost their whole offense----henne, hart, long, arrington, manningham

he better hope he gets pryor

and its getting real ugly with the law suit---we requested all cell phone records including text messages and other stuff

Yup time for some new guys to step up.

Blatz
01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I sort of root for Michigan, and I don't really want to see them lose, but I wouldn't mind seeing R-Rod bombing in his first season there, having the UM folks screaming for Carr to com back.

It would be a bonus if Stewart went undefeated with WVU and took them to the championship game.

kwilk103
01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
fyi, under nehlen we went 7-5 and won a bowl game

the next year under rod he changed the system and had two immobile qbs running the spread option; he did not fit the system to the players; went 3-8, losing to temple

and a lot of players transfered; that 1st year we had under 70 scholarship players

volman88
01-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Well it's pretty much official he's transfering.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3188170

Tennessee is the early favorite

Bad ass!___

asmitty45
01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Good. I hope he thrives somewhere, he would fit the tall white, immobile Tennessee QB standard, so i can see that working out well.

jbeans187
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I think UCLA and Arkansas are in the mix too

DChess
01-09-2008, 11:32 PM
I think UCLA and Arkansas are in the mix too

i thought he might have gone to arkansas right when the rumors about transferring happened. but it looks like tennessee might be a lock

Sportsfan486
01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Michigan next year = Notre Dame this year?

Just throwing it out there. Notre Dame went from BCS to CRAP and Michigan is looking in ROUGH, ROUGH shape. They have no one..

Imagine a year where Michigan and Notre Dame both have LOSING records.. ...

DChess
01-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Just throwing it out there. Notre Dame went from BCS to CRAP and Michigan is looking in ROUGH, ROUGH shape. They have no one..

in all fairness, notre dame has been crap the past couple years, it just so happen they made a bcs game, but they were never a top 15 team. michigan wont be as bad as they are. i

Sniper
01-10-2008, 06:45 AM

Doubt it, not just because I'm a Michigan fan. Our defense should be much improved. Assuming Terrance Taylor stays, we should only lose two defensive starters in Shawn Crable and Jamar Adams. Carlos Brown and Brandon Minor proved the cupboard at RB isn't bare and Greg Mathews has some significant experience at WR.

RyanLeaf#1
01-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Notre Dame wont have a losing record next year.

Sniper
01-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Notre Dame wont have a losing record next year.

And they won't have a winning one either.

D-Unit
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
How do Michigan fans feel about no longer having a Pro-Style offense? You're already seeing the backlash from players with Pro aspirations wanting to get out now. In the future, it will be hard to attract them.

Yet on the other hand, I'm fairly confident that Rodriguez's spread offense will have success in the Big 10 so you should win more.

Turtlepower
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Personally, I feel that spread-option and gimicky offenses are good for schools with lower recruiting budgets that don't get as many high-profile players. I feel that when it comes time to actually play against the best competition, they usually don't perform as well. Yeah, there are examples of where I am wrong, but I just don't think that Michigan will ever get to a Rose Bowl under Rich Rodriguez. To an even greater extent, I see Georgia Tech falling hard due to Paul Johnson installing the triple-option. I understand the need for the system at Navy, but he will be torn apart in the ACC. Four years at the most is what I am giving Johnson and I don't think Rodriguez will last more than 5 years.

Thunder&Lightning
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
i dont think its that big a deal hes transfering hes a great Qb but not good enough athlete to run the spread which is what rod. is bringing to michigan.
Michigan will be fine no doubt they are getn pryor

Turtlepower
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
i dont think its that big a deal hes transfering hes a great Qb but not good enough athlete to run the spread which is what rod. is bringing to michigan.
Michigan will be fine no doubt they are getn pryor

I think Rodriguez is relying way too much on the 20% chance that he gets Pryor.

D-Unit
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Personally, I feel that spread-option and gimicky offenses are good for schools with lower recruiting budgets that don't get as many high-profile players. I feel that when it comes time to actually play against the best competition, they usually don't perform as well. Yeah, there are examples of where I am wrong, but I just don't think that Michigan will ever get to a Rose Bowl under Rich Rodriguez. To an even greater extent, I see Georgia Tech falling hard due to Paul Johnson installing the triple-option. I understand the need for the system at Navy, but he will be torn apart in the ACC. Four years at the most is what I am giving Johnson and I don't think Rodriguez will last more than 5 years.
You hit it right on the head. Kiss good bye to the days when Michigan QBs, WRs, TEs and OL used to be drafted.

jbeans187
01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I think Rodriguez is relying way too much on the 20% chance that he gets Pryor.

Hes trying to lure some other dual threat qbs, but if he doesnt get pryor, he will have some problems

Turtlepower
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Hes trying to lure some other dual threat qbs, but if he doesnt get pryor, he will have some problems

He's trying to lure other dual threat QBs who have already committed to schools. Not that good of a sign.

BamaFalcon59
01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
If he gos to UCLA or Arkansas he will be a first round pick. Tennessee would be a good fit too, but not as good in my opinion.

Sniper
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
How do Michigan fans feel about no longer having a Pro-Style offense? You're already seeing the backlash from players with Pro aspirations wanting to get out now. In the future, it will be hard to attract them.

Yet on the other hand, I'm fairly confident that Rodriguez's spread offense will have success in the Big 10 so you should win more.

Um last I checked we tend to do well in the Big 10. Amazing how easily people forget...

I hate the offense. It's way too gimmicky, and Michigan is known as a school that produces NFL players at positions like OL and QB. Just doesn't seem right.

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM

neh, Michigan has some good defensive players returning this year. They'll at least win 7 games or so just based on the fact they still have some Michigan talent. Plus the spread offense is a gimmick offense designed for teams who usually don't have superior talent, so they should have a good offense by default like Northwestern and MSU usually do (2 teams who have been running the spread all this decade). Threet shouldn't be THAT bad, and even if he is they got some Juco guys they're looking at.

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 05:15 PM
One thing's for sure though...Tressel is gonna give Rodriguez's team a beatdown in the shoe next season with his team loaded full of talented juniors and seniors and a probably top 5 ranking.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Um last I checked we tend to do well in the Big 10. Amazing how easily people forget...

I hate the offense. It's way too gimmicky, and Michigan is known as a school that produces NFL players at positions like OL and QB. Just doesn't seem right.

Well now it will be known as a school that produces other positions, or running QB's and ZBS OL's

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Missouri and Oregon run the spread yet they don't seem to have a problem getting NFL talent at the WR, OL, and TE positions. If they have a read option like WVU did with White and Slaton though they'll have a hard time recrutiting the WRs and TEs they usually get.

volman88
01-13-2008, 06:31 PM
If he gos to UCLA or Arkansas he will be a first round pick. Tennessee would be a good fit too, but not as good in my opinion.

Not sure how you figure that. Both Arkansas and UCLA aren't as good as tennessee.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Not sure how you figure that. Both Arkansas and UCLA aren't as good as tennessee.

he would have to play behind Jonathan Crompton, while he could start right away at both Arkansas and UCLA.

volman88
01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
he would have to play behind Jonathan Crompton, while he could start right away at both Arkansas and UCLA.

Crompton is probably gonna be terrible this season, so i'd say that by next year he would be able to compete for the job and win.

roidrunner
01-14-2008, 03:56 PM
he is going to Arkansas. just trust me on this

Sniper
01-14-2008, 04:23 PM
he is going to Arkansas. just trust me on this

Pretty sure it was on Arkansas' Rivals site today that you're correct

roidrunner
01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
i heard from his son nick(petrino) that mallett was going there

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Mallett would've never been able to develop at Michigan, even with Lloyd Carr. It was a mistake to sign there in the first place. He has terrible accuracy, which was so bad they even played a hurt Henne over Mallett.

Babylon
01-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Mallett would've never been able to develop at Michigan, even with Lloyd Carr. It was a mistake to sign there in the first place. He has terrible accuracy, which was so bad they even played a hurt Henne over Mallett.

The guy was a freshman i think we need to give him a break.

Sniper
01-14-2008, 07:04 PM

Yeah good call it's not like Henne was a senior four year starter and Mallett was a freshman. Do you ever think before you post?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah good call it's not like Henne was a senior four year starter and Mallett was a freshman. Do you ever think before you post?

hey man i'm just posting what I saw. Henne started as a freshman. +, that's what i meant that he would never develop. Their QB coach wouldn't have developed him well, as Henne was pretty much alys the same henne, which is why I thought it was a bad decision for him to go to Michigan. They have a track record for underachieving college QB's.

Sniper
01-14-2008, 07:11 PM
hey man i'm just posting what I saw. Henne started as a freshman. +, that's what i meant that he would never develop. Their QB coach wouldn't have developed him well, as Henne was pretty much alys the same henne, which is why I thought it was a bad decision for him to go to Michigan. They have a track record for underachieving college QB's.

Henne didn't have a three year starter ahead of him did he? Mallett rarely took first team snaps and didn't get along with a lot of the team, Manningham especially. Henne played pretty well this season when he was fully healthy, and played well sometimes when he was injured. Mallett has a laser for an arm but it took numerous great plays from his receivers to bail him out. The knock on Mallett coming out of HS was mobility and accuracy, so it's not like Michigan's staff made him suck.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Henne didn't have a three year starter ahead of him did he? Mallett rarely took first team snaps and didn't get along with a lot of the team, Manningham especially. Henne played pretty well this season when he was fully healthy, and played well sometimes when he was injured. Mallett has a laser for an arm but it took numerous great plays from his receivers to bail him out. The knock on Mallett coming out of HS was mobility and accuracy, so it's not like Michigan's staff made him suck.

That's what I'm talking about, Michigan's staff didn't make him suck, but they wouldn't make him any better. That was my whole point all along, but i thikn I added in some unnecesarry words lol

Sniper
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
That's what I'm talking about, Michigan's staff didn't make him suck, but they wouldn't make him any better. That was my whole point all along, but i thikn I added in some unnecesarry words lol

They could have made him a lot better. You can't judge that by such a small sample size that Mallett had.

roidrunner
01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Mallett will become a beast in the Petrino offense.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-14-2008, 07:39 PM
They could have made him a lot better. You can't judge that by such a small sample size that Mallett had.

Henne never really improved when he was there, Navarre never panned out, the dude Henne beat never worked out either. The evidence is there, nobody ever really improved that much at michigan.

BamaFalcon59
01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Mallett will be a first round, high second round, pick at worst if he plays under Petrino at Arkansas for 3 years.

volman88
01-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm pissed. But now does he not have to sit out since he could say that he is going there to be closer to home? I'm pretty sure there is a rule about that.

DChess
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
im pretty sure i called mallett transferring to arkansas. go me