PDA

View Full Version : Chargers vs Indy

Average OT LB
01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
To kick it off..

these guys at yahoo gave their opinion of who the 3rd most important player was behind LT and Manning..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjnfVrqIwJmFVcKzkiqLCG9DubYF?slug=jc-questionoftheday010908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

San Diego Chicken
01-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I would have said Marvin Harrison. The Chargers have to figure out who to take away, Harrison or Wayne. If the Chargers give more attention to Wayne, Harrison could make some big plays if he is 100%, but he could still be injured, or rusty and just not in synch with Manning. Cottrell also has to be aware of Dallas Clark in the red-zone. He needs to throw away the film from the last game because Harrison and Clark did not play.

If the Chargers plan on winning, I think they need to establish the running game early (seems obvious). Indy is much improved on run defense, but they are still a very small defensive front seven and still only rank #15 in the league in run defense. LT and our beefy OL against their front seven should be advantage Chargers. If we do this, and can get a good amount of rushing yards in the first half, it will keep Indy's offense off of the field, and will force Dungy to play Bob Sanders closer and closer to the line of scrimmage. That could lead to Rivers catching them cheating up too much and burning them downfield.

It'll also take a great team defensive performance to beat the Colts. In the games they lost this year (I'm not counting the Titans game) Indy only scored 20 and 21 points, including the fumble recovery in the Chargers game. I'm guessing that if Indy scores any more than 3 touchdowns, they'll win. What is on our side is that Peyton Manning historically struggles against a 3-4 defense and that was the common denominator in both losses this year. But all levels of the defense still need to be crisp. The corners need to disrupt the passing routes, the pass rushers need to win their 1 on 1 matchups and disciplined run defense needs to be played. Cooper did not have a good game in run defense against Tennessee. He missed several tackles.

So, we'll see what happens. I think the Chargers are confident that they can win this game. I think getting the "first playoff win in 13 years" monkey off of their back was a big emotional barrier and it showed in the first half of Sunday's game. The second half was pretty encouraging, and they need to come out this weekend like it's the 5th quarter of the Titans game, running the ball well, playing defense, Rivers diagnosing and hitting open recievers.

KRS1
01-11-2008, 01:05 AM
I think I would go with Quentin Jammer. He has quietly had a very good year and will be very important with Marvin Harrison returning. If we see the old Harrison and Jammer can't get a good jam on him at the line it could be a long day. If Jammer can be physical with Harrison from the start it may be the best way to keep him and Manning from getting on the same page.

I have a feeling we might be sandbagging Gates's situation a little. I think they might be trying to stunt the Colts game plan as much as possible. I could be way off here but something tells me Antonio will be out there come sunday.

JK17
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a feeling Gates won't be out there...it seems like a big deal, but I'd love to see him get over it and tough it out...

I think if Marvin plays it could either be huge or awful for us. On one hand, it lets Jammer match up on him, and if you're physical with Harrison he tends to struggle, which is exactly what Jammer is. It also lets Cromartie go on Wayne, who is also a better matchup (assuming Harrison lines up on Peyton's right, and Wayne on Peyton's left) then Jammer would be on him.

However, I don't think any one has conciously said, gee I hope Marvin Harrison plays for the Colts when we play them! Usually you don't want to see someone of Harrison's level out there...

KRS1
01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
The only thing I know for sure is that outside of Charger fans I have not heard 1 person on the planet even admit that the Chargers have a chance this weekend.

San Diego Chicken
01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
The only thing I know for sure is that outside of Charger fans I have not heard 1 person on the planet even admit that the Chargers have a chance this weekend.

Yeah, if you listen to some of the ESPN commentary, I get the feeling from alot of analysts that they think Jacksonville will keep it closer with New England than the Chargers will with Indy. And many folks are picking Seattle and/or New York to win this weekend, straight up. I think that Jacksonville should have lost that game against Pittsburgh... The Giants looked good, but they were probably playing the worst team in the playoffs.

Average OT LB
01-12-2008, 05:45 AM

We're playing a team we got lucky to beat, on the road. We are 4-4 on the road this year, and its been when rivers has played his absolute worst..

We're not the 7-1 team when we travel... so its understandable i suppose

KCJ58
01-12-2008, 05:46 AM

funny sig also would have been better is your name was KRS-One!

bantx
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
horrible start so far

sdpads24
01-13-2008, 01:34 PM
The officials just screwed us at the end of the first half. It should be 14-10. No way in hell was that holding on Weddle.

JK17
01-13-2008, 03:50 PM
...I don't think there's really much to say, we're going to the AFC Championship Game...

Rivers did great, again minus one interception. The defense made the palys when they had to, and we did it all without LT for 3 quarters and barely having Gates. So much for Indy's injury argument.

RCAChainGang
01-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Congratulations guys! I hope you can knock off the Pats. They looked like the Chargers from last year. Good Game. Your defense played very well.

San Diego Chicken
01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I just have to ask, would Marty Schottenheimer and Drew Brees have lead the Chargers to such a stirring playoff victory? Somehow in the back of my mind, I doubt it.

San Diego Chicken
01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Anyway, game balls go to -

Marcus McNeill: Dominated Robert Mathis.

Antonio Cromartie and Eric Weddle: the future of the secondary. Big INT's in big situations. Weddle was very good when matched up on Clark 1 on 1.

Darren Sproles and Michael Turner: Together they replaced LT's production and big play ability.

Wide Recievers: All of them. Played flawlessly today. Well, Davis is still kind of weak, I say make Naanee the third reciever.

Philip Rivers: Welcome to being a big time NFL QB.

Norv Turner: Great playcalling today. Great leadership.

sdpads24
01-13-2008, 04:16 PM
I just have to ask, would Marty Schottenheimer and Drew Brees have lead the Chargers to such a stirring playoff victory? Somehow in the back of my mind, I doubt it.

With LT and Rivers out in the 4th quarter is there any chance we win with Marty? No way. What a game btw, we had a ton of injuries but had an excellent game plan by Turner and Cotrell that probably won it for us.

RCAChainGang
01-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Man, Vincent Jackson played incredible! Beautiful TD from Rivers.
Doesn't have to taunt the fans though :/.

bolts2388
01-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Man, Vincent Jackson played incredible! Beautiful TD from Rivers.
Doesn't have to taunt the fans though :/.

The fans where flipping him off actually =/... thats why he got emotional and started taunting which i don't like that much but whatever thats his way.

7-11
01-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Congrats to you guys, and for the love of god, please beat the Pats next week. (and then lose the next week, sorry but i'm not sure how i'd handle Philip Rivers being a superbowl winning qb).

Anyway, without paying particular attention to this battle i must say Marcus McNeill absolutely shut Robert Mathis down, pretty impressive even though i'm guessing he got some help (and i'll continue to assume as i don't think i can bring myself to watch that again to check)

Average OT LB
01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
A HUUUGEE weakspot for our team will be the defensive backfield. It may not sound so crazy to say that despite our leading the league in takeaways by a good margin seeing as how we just gave up 400 passing yards. Specifically drayton florence and Clinton Hart are just atrocious players.

How in gods name can we beat the pats or the packers if we get there. The packers use that 4 or 5 wr formation and the pats are just the most dominant passing team ever. These guys are going to kill us next week... i can only hope that the team that never fails to find a weakness for some reason will not execute. Gameplans can get you wins, it can get you a 92% completion percentage and all that.. but it cant account for raw unmeasurable natural ability. Cromarties athleticism.. Merrimans strength and speed.. Gates size and agiity to name just a few..

It may not be much but it is something that makes us different. In week 2, gates was our only receiver and cromartie hadnt blossomed yet.. we will see what a years time has done to change that.

San Diego Chicken
01-14-2008, 04:19 PM
A HUUUGEE weakspot for our team will be the defensive backfield. It may not sound so crazy to say that despite our leading the league in takeaways by a good margin seeing as how we just gave up 400 passing yards. Specifically drayton florence and Clinton Hart are just atrocious players.

How in gods name can we beat the pats or the packers if we get there. The packers use that 4 or 5 wr formation and the pats are just the most dominant passing team ever. These guys are going to kill us next week... i can only hope that the team that never fails to find a weakness for some reason will not execute. Gameplans can get you wins, it can get you a 92% completion percentage and all that.. but it cant account for raw unmeasurable natural ability. Cromarties athleticism.. Merrimans strength and speed.. Gates size and agiity to name just a few..

It may not be much but it is something that makes us different. In week 2, gates was our only receiver and cromartie hadnt blossomed yet.. we will see what a years time has done to change that.

Hart isn't atrocious at all, in fact I think he's been much better and consistent than McCree has been. In fact, the talk from the Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee is that McCree is going to get cut and Weddle will step in a FS, which means Hart keeps his starting job.

JK17
01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Hart isn't atrocious at all, in fact I think he's been much better and consistent than McCree has been. In fact, the talk from the Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee is that McCree is going to get cut and Weddle will step in a FS, which means Hart keeps his starting job.

I disagree, I'm really not a fan of Clinton Hart's play. He may be an okay starter, but he is out of position an awful lot, and really does get beat often. If you look at the Indy game they go after him and Florence over and over again. Ben Troupe beat him down the sideline against Tennessee. He's nothing more then a stopgap; I think he's one of the weak links on the defense.

Average OT LB
01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
I disagree, I'm really not a fan of Clinton Hart's play. He may be an okay starter, but he is out of position an awful lot, and really does get beat often. If you look at the Indy game they go after him and Florence over and over again. Ben Troupe beat him down the sideline against Tennessee. He's nothing more then a stopgap; I think he's one of the weak links on the defense.

Mccree isnt really much better, but nobody has been victimized like hart and especially florence have. The sooner they get replaced the better.

KRS1
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Florence on Wes Welker is going to be a key matchup this weekend. Florence sucks and Welker is probably the best slot reciever in the league so that's my key matchup. I think Cro and Jammer can hold their own on Moss and Stallworth but Welker will kill us all game if we don't figure something out.

Average OT LB
01-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Who does Jammer match up against? it seems cromartie is the better fit for both Moss and stallworth..

San Diego Chicken
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Jammer actually has done a great job against Moss in the past, although many of those games were in the Raiders days. Moss doesn't like contact at the LOS, and if you give it to him often enough, he will mentally check himself out of the game.

RCAChainGang
01-16-2008, 03:54 AM
GL guys. I just have to mention that your defense always gets to us. I dunno, but it seems like the 3-4 system freaks us out. Like when we lost to the Steelers and Pats have been a problem along with Dallas last year. Any thoughts?

Xenos
01-19-2008, 02:59 AM
GL guys. I just have to mention that your defense always gets to us. I dunno, but it seems like the 3-4 system freaks us out. Like when we lost to the Steelers and Pats have been a problem along with Dallas last year. Any thoughts?

Actually, Peyton had a great game against us. Usually, it's the pass rush that gets to him, but he did a good job of recognizing where the blitz was coming from in this game. Our pass coverage was what actually helped us in this game.