PDA

View Full Version : Could Chris Long be used in the NFL as a 'DE/DT tweener'

Halsey
01-10-2008, 03:37 AM
I haven't seen the guy play much at all so I really don't know. I'm interested because i'd like to know if he'd be an option for the Falcons. If he could be used at both positions that means he could perhaps start at DT and move outside whenever John Abraham is dealing with an injury(which happens regularly) or perhaps start at DE if Jamaal Anderson never develops into the player he has the potential to be.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-10-2008, 04:16 AM
I think Long probably stands a better chance of being a DE/OLB tweener than what you have in mind.

Jughead10
01-10-2008, 08:14 AM
This is exactly how we use Justin Tuck. Plays DE, some DT, stands up as a rushbacker sometimes. However with Long being picked that high and making that much money, you'd probably rather just put him in one spot.

dRaFtDoRk
01-10-2008, 09:38 AM
He definitely has the versatility to play DT sometimes in a defense, but I doubt he'll split roles with a DT/DE version. He's definitely more of a OLB/DE tweener. It depends where he gets drafted at. If he's first overall, then I doubt he will play that much DT, but perhaps St. Louis or Oakland, I wouldn't be shocked if he were to see some reps at a DT spot on obvious passing downs and some other scenarios.

toonsterwu
01-10-2008, 01:00 PM
If you mean like how the Giants use Justin Tuck, then sure, I could see that. A guy that gets the bulk of his snaps on DE, but on occasion, slides inside to pass rush. But he's unlikely to get the bulk of his snaps at DT if that's what you are implying. I think more people think he's an OLB than think he's a DT.

TACKLE
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I really don't see him as a OLB. He's 6'4 285 and very strong. He's played DE in a 3-4 and often moved inside for Virgina. If he does get picked by the Dolphins I think he will play DE in the 3-4 but he will stay at DE when they use a 4-3. He is athletic but I don't know if he as the speed you look for in a edge rusher in a 3-4. I really don't see him as a DE/OLB because of his size, strength and versatility on the D-Line.

ammandss
01-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I really don't see him as a OLB. He's 6'4 285 and very strong. He's played DE in a 3-4 and often moved inside for Virgina. If he does get picked by the Dolphins I think he will play DE in the 3-4 but he will stay at DE when they use a 4-3. He is athletic but I don't know if he as the speed you look for in a edge rusher in a 3-4. I really don't see him as a DE/OLB because of his size, strength and versatility on the D-Line.

Actually he is more like 265 than 285 and even Al Groh said that he sees Long as a OLB in the 3-4. It's either that or a 4-3 DE, and maybe a 3-4 DE.

bored of education
01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
He is not of the Carriker mold so I dont see it

PACKmanN
01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
If he on passing downs then yeah you can slid him in, but during the first-second downs I wouldnt test it.