PDA

View Full Version : Martz has lost his mind

Bootland27
01-10-2008, 10:57 AM
When asked if the 49ers were comparable to the Lions offense, when he started there two years ago, Martz said. "No, no, no. This is much further along. This is totally different. This is not even close to where we were with the Lions. This is a much different situation."

He must have lost his ability to judge talent with his ability to coach when he was here, because the niners are horrible.

Gay Ork Wang
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Maybe he is saying they are even worse then u guys

detap21
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Or maybe he sees Frank Gore as a bigger weapon then the Detroit Lions' main weapon. I think that we (Detroit) are better, but I think that Martz like the running backs that can catch and run like Faulk used to back in the day.

Xiomera
01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
San Fran has no receivers to speak of. Martz isn't gonna be able to pass it like he did in Detroit.

detap21
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
San Fran has no receivers to speak of. Martz isn't gonna be able to pass it like he did in Detroit.

I agree. Which is why I'm a little confused with this whole thing. Gore, Staley, Davis. I think that they are their main guys on offense, maybe Battle. While our O-line is pretty good, especially with Woody getting better at the new position, four good recievers, two decent backs, I think a pretty good quarterback. The only down side to our team might be at tight end.

wingboy2999
01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
He has the RB he wants but since when does he use TEs a ton? Maybe he'll change around a bit with a talent like Davis.

Xiomera
01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
I wonder if he makes a play to acquire Mike Furrey . . . and I wonder if Detroit would listen?

We signed him longterm, but his numbers dropped considerably (mainly because McDonald beat him out).

WMD
01-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Sucks for Vernon Davis.. Martz uses Blocking TE's which VD does not do all that well. Maybe they'll just start playing him at WR.

detroit4life
01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I wonder if he makes a play to acquire Mike Furrey . . . and I wonder if Detroit would listen?

We signed him longterm, but his numbers dropped considerably (mainly because McDonald beat him out).

id trade furrey to them in a second. Only reason we resigned him was because he had a good year in martzs system and martz wanted him back. If roy stays they i would happily move him

LonghornsLegend
01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
They do have Jason Hill who was a star at Wash St. who is a speedy wr and probably will excell in that system, and they really only need one other wr to make it work...Battle could have a huge year, Jackson is serviceable, Hill will have a role, Vernon Davis might play some wr, but they only need to sign or draft one wr like Early Doucet to fit in along with Gore

They dont have anyone physically demanding as CJ or Roy, but he can still make it work

bearsfan_51
01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
If you actually read the quote in context, he said that the Niners now are in better shape than the Lions were when he took over, which is true. The Lions when Marinelli took over were a far bigger joke than the Niners are now. Think Joey Harrington, Charles Rodgers, etc.

detroit4life
01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
yea it was joey roy kj a bad line BMW. But still the 49s are in terrible shape on offense other than gore and vernon davis

no love
01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
In several articles a I read it as an assessment of the whole situation.

Martz thinks that the 49ers defense is in a much better place that will allow him to utilize the running game and pass less. He said that the lions were playing from behind too often and forced to pass more.

As far as the offense goes, I think the comments were much more in relation to the future. Alex Smith and Shaun Hill have much more potential than Jon Kitna, there isn't much to not like about Frank Gore, he has stated that Vernon will be lined up in the slot, on the line and even in the backfield, and he thinks Joe Staley is a franchise LT. I think the area where the 49ers are in a much better position is at the line as a whole, they have stockpiled a lot of good young players such as Staley, Baas, Snyder and even have veterans like Jennings and Allen who can play at a high level when healthy.

I think WR is obviously the weaklink on the offense, but Darrell Jackson was used improperly and can certainly be a 1,000 yard receiver. Arnaz Battle is a more than serviceable in the slot. The niners are really a #1 wr away.