PDA

View Full Version : Lions to make a push at Justin Smith

truth393
01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I was just watching a rerun of todays NFL Total Access, the Adam Scheffler chimed in and was discussing big offseason names... than when Justin Smiths name came up he really went into depth about how the lions were they most likely and by far the biggest push to get him.

What do you guys think?

AkiliSmith
01-10-2008, 11:32 AM
As a Bengals fan I hope to god he does not return. He is the suck. Especially for what we paid him this season.

Xiomera
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I was just watching a rerun of todays NFL Total Access, the Adam Scheffler chimed in and was discussing big offseason names... than when Justin Smiths name came up he really went into depth about how the lions were they most likely and by far the biggest push to get him.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me, but we can't give him a boatload of guaranteed money like Millen will want to.

If we could eliminate DE as a need before the draft though, that would be huge.

detap21
01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I think that Justin Smith would help us. Him and White at ends, that is a pretty decent duo.

wingboy2999
01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
What makes him very likely to come to us? I don't know much about him.

wingboy2999
01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Sounds good to me, but we can't give him a boatload of guaranteed money like Millen will want to.

If we could eliminate DE as a need before the draft though, that would be huge.

And yes, eliminating DE as a need is huge.

WMD
01-10-2008, 01:49 PM
If the Bengals, with the worst defense of all recorded history, doesn't want to resign him.. Why should we want to bring him in? I'd much rather draft a DE.

Bootland27
01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
He's actually one of the good guys on that team. I guess he'd be considered a Marinelli type player, but he had just 2 sacks last year after averaging 7-8 sacks per season prior to last year. He should be the fallback option if we can't get Jared Allen or Terrell Suggs

Xiomera
01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
If the Bengals, with the worst defense of all recorded history, doesn't want to resign him.. Why should we want to bring him in? I'd much rather draft a DE.

Of course it'd be better to use a high draft pick on a DE, but we have millions of needs (yes, I said it, millions) that would require a top pick to fix.

detroit4life
01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Of course it'd be better to use a high draft pick on a DE, but we have millions of needs (yes, I said it, millions) that would require a top pick to fix.

id still rather throw money at suggs or allen over smith

Brodeur
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
For one there is no way Allen isn't being franchised and two there is pretty much no chance of signing Suggs.

wingboy2999
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
For one there is no way Allen isn't being franchised and two there is pretty much no chance of signing Suggs.

Exactly. I hate this minimum length crap.

detroit4life
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
i would understand that but its all about money for these guys so what stops suggs from considering us

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
i would understand that but its all about money for these guys so what stops suggs from considering us

I would think the #1 thing stopping you guys would be baltimore franchising him. They freed up money with letting go adalius thomas this year and I think they plan on keeping suggs, they'd be foolish to let him go.

EdReedUnstoppable
01-11-2008, 08:24 AM
As a team that has face Justin Smith 2 times a year over his career, Id steer clear of him if I were the Lions.

wingboy2999
01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
ERU, your avatar is freaking me out.

P-L
01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Jared Allen and Suggs would be nice, but we're not going to get either of them. Hey, let's sign Tom Brady after the 2010 season while we're at it...

wingboy2999
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Dibbs on Adrian Peterson!

Mr. Stiller
01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
As a team that has face Justin Smith 2 times a year over his career, Id steer clear of him if I were the Lions.

Same Here.

Smith has 1 move, the Bullrush. He was neutralized big time by Max Starks in the second game.

If you want a run stopping DE? Justin Smith is your man.

If you want QB pressure and sacks? Look elsewhere.

wingboy2999
01-11-2008, 11:15 AM
If you want QB pressure and sacks? Look elsewhere.

And that is what we are looking for.

EdReedUnstoppable
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Jared Allen and Suggs would be nice, but we're not going to get either of them. Hey, let's sign Tom Brady after the 2010 season while we're at it...

Jared Allen would be the way to go there, Suggs is a 3-4 rushbacker and nothing else, he can't be a 4-3 OLB or a 4-3 DE he proved that this year.

asmitty45
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Suggs has said publicly that he wants to play for the Cardinals in his hometown. so he's out.

Justin Smith would be a great addition in my eyes, the more pressure we can apply to the QB the more help we give our young secondary.

Addict
01-11-2008, 02:45 PM
The guy stinks.... so he'd fit into our defence nicely

Geo
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
This puzzles me greatly, he's a base end. Is Millen really that incompetent?

TacticaLion
01-12-2008, 04:48 AM
As said in this thread, getting rid of DE as a need is very important. It was reported in Sporting News that the Lions are putting both Roy Williams and Shaun Rogers on the trading block, and may consider trading both for a great defensive player.

Here's what I see when I look at Justin Smith: he started every game for the Bengals over the past 6 seasons (dependability). Over that span, he averaged 5.8 sacks a year (consistency). He's a high character guy and a hard worker... something Marinelli is trying to build with (character). And, hell... how many players from that Bengal's defense played great this year?

He'd be an upgrade over Edwards... and could be spelled by Smith/rookie on pass-rushing downs. Is he ideal? No. Would he help? Yes.

And, if we grabbed him and traded Williams/Rogers for another great player (LB?), we could draft a stud CB, get a big, strong DT in round 2 and have a very solid defense.

Just a few thoughts.

bearsfan_51
01-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Doesn't really seem to be much of a fit for the system at all. The Lions really need a speed-rusher, as to my recollection they have a bevy of DE's that play the run relatively well (which, again, is not a pre-requisite for the system).

TacticaLion
01-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Doesn't really seem to be much of a fit for the system at all. The Lions really need a speed-rusher, as to my recollection they have a bevy of DE's that play the run relatively well (which, again, is not a pre-requisite for the system).

He may not be a perfect fit for the system, but he's an upgrade over what we have. If I had to choose between having him and not having him, I'd choose having him.

WMD
01-12-2008, 09:39 AM
He may not be a perfect fit for the system, but he's an upgrade over what we have. If I had to choose between having him and not having him, I'd choose having him.

I'd pass. He'd be just as useful as Kalimba Edwards is.

detroit4life
01-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I'd pass. He'd be just as useful as Kalimba Edwards is.

completely agree we shouldnt bring him in just to bring him in. He isnt the DE we need because he cannot pressure the QB as well as we need our DE to

wingboy2999
01-12-2008, 01:11 PM
completely agree we sohlud bring him in just to bring him in. He isnt the DE we need because he cannot pressure the QB as well as we need our DE to

You mean shouldn't, right? But really... if we he is an upgrade over what we have and his price isn't crazy, well, we should take him. It may not be the need totally filled but it is still an upgrade to some degree.

detroit4life
01-12-2008, 06:56 PM
You mean shouldn't, right? But really... if we he is an upgrade over what we have and his price isn't crazy, well, we should take him. It may not be the need totally filled but it is still an upgrade to some degree.

in terms of a pass rushing DE he is no better the devries or cory smith IMO

PalmerToCJ
01-12-2008, 07:10 PM
If you want sacks you don't want him. A bulk of his sacks come at the tail end of games we're up by 2 TD's plus.

I hope we let him walk, not worth the coin.

TacticaLion
01-13-2008, 03:58 AM

Exactly. It may be only a slight upgrade... but that's still a slight upgrade. I'd rather take the upgrade over not having the upgrade. (Wow... Beyonce - DirecTV... never thought I could pull football to that commercial.)

Speaking of Beyonce, did anyone notice that DeVries ended the season with 6.5 sacks, 3 FF and 3 FRs? God... insane. Maybe Smith wouldn't be an upgrade...

Iamcanadian
01-13-2008, 08:37 AM
All Smith would do is bring a player whose skills are slipping to Detroit for an awful lot of money. We are talking about a team, Cincy whose defense could actually be worse than ours. Smith never shone as a 1st rounder because he is very limited by his short arm length. Add in that he isn't built along the lines of a cover 2 DE at 6'4", 275lbs and I cannot see any justification for signing him. Of course, that being said, he's probably the guy Millen will target.

wingboy2999
01-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Exactly. It may be only a slight upgrade... but that's still a slight upgrade. I'd rather take the upgrade over not having the upgrade. (Wow... Beyonce - DirecTV... never thought I could pull football to that commercial.)

Speaking of Beyonce, did anyone notice that DeVries ended the season with 6.5 sacks, 3 FF and 3 FRs? God... insane. Maybe Smith wouldn't be an upgrade...

DeVries did really well.... but starting him? No way.

Addict
01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
we should justget a freakin' speed DE in round 2 this year, and get ourselves some linebacking help in FA

wingboy2999
01-13-2008, 01:17 PM
What do you think we'll do at round 1 then? OL?

detroit4life
01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
LB CB DE we need a lot of cb's. If u reah kowalskis article today on mlive he predicted that we will be looking for 2 new starters at CB. One of those would have to come from the draft like it or not. hopefully we can get a LB in FA but if not i think our draft on day one will be LB DE CB in no particular order