PDA

View Full Version : The player comarison thread

icantackleclaret
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I always have like it when I get the ESPN draft magazine and they have the part that they compare the prospect to the player they remind them of. Also this is the players ceiling so no comparing Jordy Nelson to Randy Moss. I will just put a few players in that I have seen a lot.

James Laurinaitis = Brian Urlacher - I don't know it just seem like a perfect match to me.

Malcolm Jenkins = Charles Woodson - Both are big strong corners that can blanket.

Marcus Freeman = Cato June - Just picturing them they seem like the same player.

Mario Manningham - Laveranues Coles - smaller fast receiver, my other thought was Santana Moss but Moss is more athletic I think.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't want to be overly critical, because a lot of comparisons that people make miss the mark, but I don't think that Laurinaitis and Jenkins are anywhere close to Urlacher or Woodson in terms of raw athleticism. Remember, Urlacher played every position except cornerback on that New Mexico defense and Woodson played offense and special teams along with being a great cover man.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Joe Flacco-Philip Rivers
Malcolm Kelly - Eric Moulds
Adarius Bowman - Marques Colston

Matthew Jones
01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Matt Ryan = Matt Hasselbeck
Joe Flacco = Derek Anderson

Darren McFadden = LaDainian Tomlinson
Jonathan Stewart = Ricky Williams?
Rashard Mendenhall = Marshawn Lynch

Some that come to mind for me.

Smokey Joe
01-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Joe Flacco-Philip Rivers
Malcolm Kelly - Eric Moulds
Adarius Bowman - Marques Colston
horrible... Flacco can out throw Ricers left handed.

icantackleclaret
01-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't want to be overly critical, because a lot of comparisons that people make miss the mark, but I don't think that Laurinaitis and Jenkins are anywhere close to Urlacher or Woodson in terms of raw athleticism. Remember, Urlacher played every position except cornerback on that New Mexico defense and Woodson played offense and special teams along with being a great cover man.

Urlacher played in a 3-3-5 defense @ New Mexico which is alot like playing a middle linebacker in a cover 2 scheme . He is run support and zone coverages. Urlacher wouldn't be able to realistically be able to play safety in the NFL.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
horrible... Flacco can out throw Ricers left handed.

nothing I've seen has shown that Flacco has an arm bigger that much bigger than Rivers.

Hines
01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Kendall Langford- Luis Castillo

SuperKevin
01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Here are some of my comparisons with some explanations

Matt Ryan-Matt Hasselbeck
Well first off they both went to Boston College. That has to account for something right? On a more serious note, both are pro style passers with good, but not great arms, that excel in checking down multiple recievers. Many people may knock Ryan's decision making due to his high interception totals but I feel most of that is on the lack of a solid WR group.

Brian Brohm-Chad Pennington
A QB with more accuracy than arm strength who sees the whole field. Can manage the entire game and rarely turn the ball over.

Andre Woodson-Byron Leftwich
Granted their body types are different, the main reason why I compare these two is their similar mechanics and horribly slow wind up releases.

Joe Flacco-Ben Roethlisberger
A big QB with enough mobility to move around in the pocket to avoid the rush and enough strength to break contact. Above average arm strength with slightly above average accuracy.

James Hardy-Plexico Burress
A very tall WR with enough speed to be effective on the go routes. Not the greatest playmaker over the middle but is excellent in the red zone.

Chris Long-Aaron Kampman
A player who is deceptively effective in the pass rush thanks to excellent technique and hard work. Has enough size to also hold his own against the run.

I'll do more later

Hines
01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Devin Thomas- Reggie Wayne

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I have always liked comparing earl bennett to laveraneus coles, just slower and a bit taller. Coles is a heck of a lot faster than bennett, but they both run crisp routes, have great hands and are tough recievers. I know when someone says disregarding speed etc. they are very simalar and people say well then they are nothing alike, but i think their playing styles are very similar even though there speed is quite different. I will admit that bennett is more polished coming out of college than coles was, but will need to be a better route runner in order to get seperation, which will make up for his lack of speed (compared to coles).

SuperKevin
01-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I have always liked comparing earl bennett to laveraneus coles, just slower and a bit taller. Coles is a heck of a lot faster than bennett, but they both run crisp routes, have great hands and are tough recievers. I know when someone says disregarding speed etc. they are very simalar and people say well then they are nothing alike, but i think their playing styles are very similar even though there speed is quite different. I will admit that bennett is more polished coming out of college than coles was, but will need to be a better route runner in order to get seperation, which will make up for his lack of speed (compared to coles).

I honestly think it's a horrible comparison. If I had to compare Earl Bennett to anyone it'd be Cris Carter. He's an excellent possession WR who runs great routes and uses the whole field. I wouldn't count on him to be a #1 WR but he could be the best #2 WR in the game.

P-L
01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Jordy Nelson - Jerry Rice + Randy Moss

jballa838
01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
ummmm:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12948&page=12&highlight=player+comparisons
search button is your friend.

Jordy Nelson < KMH

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I honestly think it's a horrible comparison. If I had to compare Earl Bennett to anyone it'd be Cris Carter. He's an excellent possession WR who runs great routes and uses the whole field. I wouldn't count on him to be a #1 WR but he could be the best #2 WR in the game.

But isn't a great posession reciever who runs great routes and uses the whole field exactly what coles is?

nhlkdog411
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM

don't forget wide reciever, tightend and punt returner!:-)

Hines
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Sedrick Ellis- Warren Sapp

Staubach12
01-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Glenn Dorsey to Warren Sapp, is of course, very popular.

Colt Brennan to Tony Romo.

It's a medeocre comparison, but I'll throw it out there... Henne to Quinn.

Chris Johnson to poor man's Brian Westbrook.

Jacob Tamme to Dallas Clark

Harry Douglas to Santonio Holmes

Ali Highsmith to Cato June

Steltz to John Lynch (another mediocre comparison)

01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Sedrick Ellis- Warren Sapp

Hopefully cuz it looks like he could be a future Raider. I like him more than Dorsey at this point.

SuperKevin
01-10-2008, 10:32 PM
But isn't a great posession reciever who runs great routes and uses the whole field exactly what coles is?

Coles doesn't really use the whole field like Bennett does. He also utilizes yards after the catch a lot more than Bennett will.

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Coles doesn't really use the whole field like Bennett does. He also utilizes yards after the catch a lot more than Bennett will.

That's true, but i still think the route running and hands has coles written all over him; cris carter also works. Either way, bennett is in good company mentioned in the same conversation as one of the best ever in carter and one of my favorite recievers in coles.

SuperKevin
01-10-2008, 10:40 PM
More comparisons from me

Phillip Merling-Julius Peppers
Before you all freak out on me for daring to compare anyone to peppers, let me assure you all I am not making this comparison based on athletic ability. Peppers is a freak and not many can do what he can do. With that said, I make this comparison because I feel Merling is more than capable of filling the defensive role that Peppers makes as a full sized DE capable of getting to the QB but also capable of covering RBs in the flats and dropping back into zone coverage.

Colt Brennan-JP Losman
Both QBs to me have more than adequate arms and accuracy(brennan's college numbers make him look a lot more accurate then he really is) and have the ability to buy time behind the line of scrimmage with their feet. I feel however that both QBs have poor decision making ability when under pressure.

Jake Long-Jordan Gross
I think Long may have a little trouble playing LT in the NFL but could find his niche playing RT. Both are excellent run blockers that get buy on power but I feel may struggle with a speed rush.

Hines
01-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Tony Temple- Mo Drew

Both are low, compact runners. Run with good power and have sneaky speed. Also, both have tree trunks as thighs.

Hines
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Mario Manningham- Bernard Berrian

Smokey Joe
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
nothing I've seen has shown that Flacco has an arm bigger that much bigger than Rivers.

Flacco has a gun and has a much stronger throwing arm then Rivers.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Urlacher played in a 3-3-5 defense @ New Mexico which is alot like playing a middle linebacker in a cover 2 scheme . He is run support and zone coverages. Urlacher wouldn't be able to realistically be able to play safety in the NFL.

I wasn't saying he'd be able to, but I'm saying that, athletically, Urlacher was on a totally different level than Laurinaitis.

GET LOOSE
01-10-2008, 10:53 PM
andre woodson reminds me of tavares jackson

junior2430
01-10-2008, 11:56 PM

Exactly. He played the Lobo position, which at his time was basically a deep MLB. The defense was funneled to him to make plays. TB rookie Quincy Black played the same position.

Also remember that Urlacher struggled on the outside his rookie year before moving inside.

That being said, he is far more athletic than Lauranaitis. He also played WR and returned kicks and punts.

nhlkdog411
01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
urlacher is one of the best athletes in the nfl, and probably could play strong safety in my opinion. laurinitis is a very good athlete at linebacker but a freak he is not.

Turtlepower
01-11-2008, 08:28 AM
andre woodson reminds me of tavares jackson

Arguably the worst comparison I ever heard. Woodson is a slow, pocket-passer who couldn't scramble for his life, while Jackson was drafted mostly as a shifty passer, who can avoid arm-tackles and throw on the run. I like a comparison between Woodson and Kyle Boller.

SuperKevin
01-11-2008, 08:28 AM
urlacher is one of the best athletes in the nfl, and probably could play strong safety in my opinion. laurinitis is a very good athlete at linebacker but a freak he is not.

I don't think he could play strong safety anymore. he could when he first entered the league but the guy has put on a lot of weight since entering the league and appears to have lost a step. Did you see that long TD he had in like week 16 where he needed oxygen after the run?

icantackleclaret
01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Mario Manningham- Bernard Berrian

I like this one alot good call!

BeerBaron
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Arguably the worst comparison I ever heard. Woodson is a slow, pocket-passer who couldn't scramble for his life, while Jackson was drafted mostly as a shifty passer, who can avoid arm-tackles and throw on the run. I like a comparison between Woodson and Kyle Boller.

i like woodsons accuracy more than boller, without the arm strength perhaps...

he might be more of a taller and stronger chad pennington with an awkward release

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Earl Bennett - Keenan McCardell

toddmlazarchick
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=RavenOfProphecy;833373]

Darren McFadden = LaDainian Tomlinson
QUOTE]

wow.....thats pretty bold

bernbabybern820
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Has anyone ever said

Chris Long - Michael Strahan?

PACKmanN
01-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Earl Bennett - Keenan McCardell

I see A Greg Jennings type player for Earl.

SuperKevin
01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I see A Greg Jennings type player for Earl.

You mean the same Greg Jennings that is most effective on go routes in Green Bay? Earl bennett is never going to be a guy that gets you consistent long gains in the NFL. He has average speed. His main strength is going to be utilizing the whole field, especially between the hashmarks.

PACKmanN
01-11-2008, 06:39 PM
You mean the same Greg Jennings that is most effective on go routes in Green Bay? Earl bennett is never going to be a guy that gets you consistent long gains in the NFL. He has average speed. His main strength is going to be utilizing the whole field, especially between the hashmarks.

thats what Jennings was during College and during the draft. He was a route runner and never a deep threat with speed. He was a possession type receiver.

Babylon
01-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Well first off they both went to Boston College. That has to account for something right? On a more serious note, both are pro style passers with good, but not great arms, that excel in checking down multiple recievers. Many people may knock Ryan's decision making due to his high interception totals but I feel most of that is on the lack of a solid WR group.

A QB with more accuracy than arm strength who sees the whole field. Can manage the entire game and rarely turn the ball over.

Granted their body types are different, the main reason why I compare these two is their similar mechanics and horribly slow wind up releases.

A big QB with enough mobility to move around in the pocket to avoid the rush and enough strength to break contact. Above average arm strength with slightly above average accuracy.

A very tall WR with enough speed to be effective on the go routes. Not the greatest playmaker over the middle but is excellent in the red zone.

Chris Long-Aaron Kampman
A player who is deceptively effective in the pass rush thanks to excellent technique and hard work. Has enough size to also hold his own against the run.

I'll do more later

The last few i like not the QBs though.

Matt Ryan-Tom Brady (about where Brady was when he was backing up Drew Bledsoe

Brian Brohm-Jim Kelley

Andre Woodson- Kerry Collins(semi mobile, a little hitch in his delivery.)

McGahee
01-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Stanley Havili - Chris Cooley

Andre Smith - Jason Peters

Smokey Joe
01-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Urlacher has the athleticism of a black man... which is very rare for white people.

GET LOOSE
01-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Leodis McKilvin reminds me of Darell Revis...good tacklers both aroun 5'11-6feet both weight about the same and run about the same time...i think they will be similar players....oh yea and both good returners

nhlkdog411
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Urlacher has the athleticism of a black man... which is very rare for white people.

yes cause theres tons and tons of black guys his size who are as athletic as him

BroadwayJoe10
01-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Leodis McKilvin reminds me of Darell Revis...good tacklers both aroun 5'11-6feet both weight about the same and run about the same time...i think they will be similar players....oh yea and both good returners

As far as measurables go he's going to have to have one hell of a combine to compare to revis: Revis ran a 4.38, had a 6.56 3-cone and a 38" vert. It also looks like he's a tad shorter than revis, but if he puts up those types of numbers and Malcom Jenkins isn't coming out he could be a fast riser.

jballa838
01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Jordyz Nelsonz has it.
but seriously i think John Stewart and Fred Taylor are kinda the same. Stewart is a little faster though.

GET LOOSE
01-12-2008, 12:07 AM
As far as measurables go he's going to have to have one hell of a combine to compare to revis: Revis ran a 4.38, had a 6.56 3-cone and a 38" vert. It also looks like he's a tad shorter than revis, but if he puts up those types of numbers and Malcom Jenkins isn't coming out he could be a fast riser.

i dont think he will be as good as revis but he will be a similar player...no way he is gonna be as good as ma boy revis...revis is da man

maryvillereb2003
01-13-2008, 08:52 AM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc222/sportsnerd14/bobsanders.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc222/sportsnerd14/hefney.jpg

i rest my case...llol

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Jordy Nelson - Wes Welker
Johnathan Stewart - DeAngelo Williams
Rashard Mendenhall - Joseph Addai
Joe Flacco - Rex Grossman
Bobby Reid - Brad Smith
Matt Ryan - Matt Leinart

PACKmanN
01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Jordyz Nelsonz has it.
but seriously i think John Stewart and Fred Taylor are kinda the same. Stewart is a little faster though.

really, I see more of a Thomas Jones comparison towards Stewart then Taylor.

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh, and Dominique R-Cromartie - Rashean Mathis.

Babylon
01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Johnathan Stewart - DeAngelo Williams
Rashard Mendenhall - Joseph Addai
Joe Flacco - Rex Grossman
Bobby Reid - Brad Smith
Matt Ryan - Matt Leinart

Let me tweak these if i may.

Jordy Nelson-Ed McCaffry
Jonathon Stewart-Emmit Smith
Rashard Mendenhall-Jamaal Lewis
Joe Flacco-Ben Rothlesberger
Matt Ryan-Tom Brady

I know i'm being a little charitable with these but talking style and maximum upside.

Staubach12
01-13-2008, 01:34 PM

This is, frankly, a terrible comparison. Welker is much smaller with very good agility and routes. Nelson is much more physically dominant and raw.

jnew76
01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Mario Urrutia - Plaxico Burress
Malcolm Kelly - Javon Walker
Chris Long - Justin Smith
Davonne Bess - Lav. Coles
Felix Jones - Willie Parker
Jonathan Stewart - Steven Jackson
Harry Douglass - Donald Driver

Babylon
01-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Nice. Think Stewart is not the upright runner that Jackson is and probably 6 iinches shorter, hard to get a read on him.

SuperKevin
01-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Uruttia has too much bulk and not enough speed to be compared to Burress. If anything I'd compare Urrutia to a MUCH slower Vincent Jackson.

Chris Long-Justin Smith I can see but I feel Long's pass rush skills are much better than Smith's. Smith is primarily a run stopping DE while Long is more balanced. Like I mentioned earlier, a great comparison for Chris Long is Aaron Kampman.

Bess doesn't have the straightline speed that Lavernus Coles has and will never be a big deep threat like Coles can be. I like the comparison of Davonne bess to Wes Welker a lot more. They are both smaller slot WRs with great hands and toughness but not top end speed.

Felix Jones to Willie parker is by far your best comparison in this list

I don't know if Stewart has the hands to be as versatile as Steven Jackson is. I think Jonathan Stewart's best pro comparison is Michael Turner. A big powerful back with deceptive speed to break the long run.

I don't think Harry Douglass is anywhere close to Driver in terms of toughness. i like to compare Harry Douglas to Mark Clayton of the Ravens.

jnew76
01-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Uruttia has too much bulk and not enough speed to be compared to Burress. If anything I'd compare Urrutia to a MUCH slower Vincent Jackson.

Chris Long-Justin Smith I can see but I feel Long's pass rush skills are much better than Smith's. Smith is primarily a run stopping DE while Long is more balanced. Like I mentioned earlier, a great comparison for Chris Long is Aaron Kampman.

Bess doesn't have the straightline speed that Lavernus Coles has and will never be a big deep threat like Coles can be. I like the comparison of Davonne bess to Wes Welker a lot more. They are both smaller slot WRs with great hands and toughness but not top end speed.

Felix Jones to Willie parker is by far your best comparison in this list

I don't know if Stewart has the hands to be as versatile as Steven Jackson is. I think Jonathan Stewart's best pro comparison is Michael Turner. A big powerful back with deceptive speed to break the long run.

I don't think Harry Douglass is anywhere close to Driver in terms of toughness. i like to compare Harry Douglas to Mark Clayton of the Ravens.

Ahhh... 1 outta 7 ain't bad, I will try harder next time.

adschofield
01-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Jordy Nelson- Devin Hester speed with TO's size with Jerry Rice's route running and catching ability

kwilk103
01-13-2008, 04:41 PM
im not good at these

what about slaton?

maybe warrick dunn?

SuperKevin
01-13-2008, 04:44 PM
im not good at these

what about slaton?

maybe warrick dunn?

It could work. Personally I don't think Slaton's celing is quite that high. I'd compare him more to Tatum Bell. He's a speedster who would work best in a ZBS.

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Jacob Hester - Mike Alstott
DeSean Jackson - Santonio Holmes with better returning skills
Chad Henne - Joey Harrington (both are slow like a turtle)

SchizophrenicBatman
01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
im not making reaches to compare the big name prospects here, just listing the players that when I watch them play they remind me of an nfl player

Matt Ryan - Jake Delhomme (flashes of brilliance sparkled in between dumb decisions, NFL adequate but not great arm, intangibles out the wazoo. Really like this one)
Brandon Flowers - Kelvin Hayden/Marlin Jackson
Davone Bess - Wes Welker
Sam Baker - Jordan Gross
Andre Woodson - Jason Campbell
Chris Johnson - Reggie Bush
Kenny Phillips - Deon Grant
Yvenson Bernard - Jerious Norwood
Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz - Terrell Owens fused with Randy Moss

Babylon
01-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Jordy Nelson- Devin Hester speed with TO's size with Jerry Rice's route running and catching ability

I thought we settled on Ed McCaffery.

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Adrian Arrington - A poor man's Donte Stallworth
John David Booty - David Carr
Martin Rucker - A little improved Mercedes Lewis

mqtirishfan
01-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I thought we settled on Ed McCaffery.

Isn't that the same thing?

Tampa 2 4 life
01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Reggie Campbell - Darren Sproles

BaLLiN
01-13-2008, 07:44 PM
would i be really off if i said that jonathan stewart reminds me of michael turner?

Tampa 2 4 life
01-13-2008, 07:45 PM
would i be really off if i said that jonathan stewart reminds me of michael turner?

Not really...They're fairly close.

The Dude Abides
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Davone Bess - Wes Welker
Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz - Terrell Owens fused with Randy Moss

Dude, learn the rules. You are not allowed to compare white people and black people...

Gi-15
01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Mendenhall reminds me of thomas jones.

gangGREENinsider
01-13-2008, 08:42 PM

Chris Long-Aaron Kampman

I'll do more later

Good comparisons. Most of the others kind of scare me.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-13-2008, 08:50 PM
really, I see more of a Thomas Jones comparison towards Stewart then Taylor.

Thomas Jones is a smaller back, while Stewart is more of a bruiser and big back. I don't think they compare well, i think stewart is more like AP

01-13-2008, 08:54 PM

Chris Long-Aaron Kampman

I'll do more later

Nice, those are the best comparisons Ive seen yet.

gsorace
01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Chris Johnson - Leon Washington

TACKLE
01-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Darren McFadden - Ryan Grant
Sedrick Ellis - Rod Coleman
Michael Oher - Walter Jones
Keith Rivers - Lance Briggs
Jonathan Stewart - Michael Turner+Rudi Johnson
Jack Ikegwuonu - Nate Clements
Anthony Collins - Tony Ugoh
Chris Johnspn - Brian Westbrook
Ray Rice - Emmitt Smith

SuperKevin
01-14-2008, 01:37 AM

I said the same thing a few posts earlier. While Stewart may get a better opportunity than Turner did, they are essentially the same player IMO

Cashmoney
01-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Matt Ryan= Chad Pennington

SuperKevin
01-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Matt Ryan= Chad Pennington

I don't see it. Matt Ryan's arm is far stronger and his accuracy is much worse. Brian Brohm is much closer to Pennington.

SuperKevin
01-14-2008, 01:56 AM

Chris Long-Aaron Kampman

I'll do more later

More comparisons from me

Phillip Merling-Julius Peppers
Before you all freak out on me for daring to compare anyone to peppers, let me assure you all I am not making this comparison based on athletic ability. Peppers is a freak and not many can do what he can do. With that said, I make this comparison because I feel Merling is more than capable of filling the defensive role that Peppers makes as a full sized DE capable of getting to the QB but also capable of covering RBs in the flats and dropping back into zone coverage.

Colt Brennan-JP Losman
Both QBs to me have more than adequate arms and accuracy(brennan's college numbers make him look a lot more accurate then he really is) and have the ability to buy time behind the line of scrimmage with their feet. I feel however that both QBs have poor decision making ability when under pressure.

Jake Long-Jordan Gross
I think Long may have a little trouble playing LT in the NFL but could find his niche playing RT. Both are excellent run blockers that get buy on power but I feel may struggle with a speed rush.

These are some of the comparisons I've made so far.

diabsoule
01-14-2008, 02:03 AM
These are some of the comparisons I've made so far.

I think your first set of comparisons are dead on.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-14-2008, 02:46 AM
The Merling to Peppers comparison seems a bit odd. I understand why you made it, but Peppers isn't the only defensive end who fills that role and when you compare size and physical toolset, they aren't particularly close.

How about comparing Merling to someone like Willie McGinest?

SuperKevin
01-14-2008, 08:30 AM
The Merling to Peppers comparison seems a bit odd. I understand why you made it, but Peppers isn't the only defensive end who fills that role and when you compare size and physical toolset, they aren't particularly close.

How about comparing Merling to someone like Willie McGinest?

I thought about that but I really don't see merling in a 3-4. I know a lot of people think he can play 3-4 OLB but I think he's a down lineman for sure

Patriots16-0
01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Dan Connor - a faster Mike Vrabel
Martellus Bennett - Ben Watson

nhlkdog411
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Dan Connor - a faster Mike Vrabel
Martellus Bennett - Ben Watson

erm..vrabel was a D-end in college who projected to play DE or 3-4 olb and is like 6'4'' 260..connor was a 4-3 lb who projects to play in the 4-3 as an olb or in the 3-4 as an ilb and is like 6'0'' 230....

gangGREENinsider
01-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't see it. Matt Ryan's arm is far stronger and his accuracy is much worse. Brian Brohm is much closer to Pennington.

Ryan's accuracy is very good. The INT come from him trying to force some throws that aren't there.

lod01
01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Kevin Smith = Ryan Grant.

D-Unit
01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Who's the closest player out there like Asante Samuel?

Patriots16-0
01-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Mike Jenkins?

Also, 200 posts! I dedicate it to Scott, who makes every year our draft happier!

princefielder28
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Mike Jenkins?

Also, 200 posts! I dedicate it to Scott, who makes every year our draft happier!

I could agree with Jenkins

ChiefMojo
01-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Joe Flacco -Ben Roethlisberger
Aqib Talib- Charles Woodson
Jordy Nelson - Andre Johnson
Glen Dorsey - Warren Sapp
Adarius Bowman - Terrell Owens
Martin Rucker - Antonio Gates
Mike Hart - Tiki Barber
Chris Long - Jared Allen

Turtlepower
01-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Mike Hart - Tiki Barber
Chris Long - Jared Allen

That is funny. Does every draft prospect have to be a pro-bowler? =D

MetSox17
01-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Martellus Bennett= Ben Watson?? Seriously? maybe ben watson on one leg.
bennett doesnt have a whole lot of speed.. ben watson can outrun most of your defense. i say bennett is more of a leonard pope or marcedes lewis type

MetSox17
01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
couldnt help but laugh at the byron leftwich to andre woodson comparison.. leftwich is a drew bledsoe clone with less accuracy, and i cant see the resemblance woodson has with either of them. i see more jason campbell in woodson than anything. if woodson keeps throwing the ball with 3 seconds of hangtime like he usually does he's not gonna have a career.. it would be a shame if he went in the first round

I_C_DeadPeople
01-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Chris Long - for his sake I hope he is closer to Jared Allen than Justin Smith. Man has that guys been very very average since going in the top 5. Can't think of a high pick with only ONE pass rush move....caveat- I am a Bengals fan.

Babylon
01-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Mike Hart - Tiki Barber
Chris Long - Jared Allen

As optimistic your comparisons are i think Chris Long sort of ended up with the short end of the stick. I like Jared Allen but going by your other picks Chris should have been compared to someone like Grant Wistrom(prime) or Randy White.

icantackleclaret
01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
I like the Chris Long , Patrick Kerney comparison.

PACKmanN
01-16-2008, 08:41 PM

Its Brandon Flowers or Antoine Cason. Samuel isn't a physical player, he a smart player with excellent ball skills.

MNRunLeft
01-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I could be way off but Early Doucet kind of reminds me of Hines Ward.

dbtb135
01-16-2008, 11:06 PM
im not good at these

what about slaton?

maybe warrick dunn?

Dunn is great between the tackles, Slaton awful.

Anthony Collins - Tony Ugoh

I kinda like that comparison.

DiG
01-16-2008, 11:20 PM
ill do some guys i see as 2nd-3rd rounders that havent been mentioned:

-John David Booty / Jeff Garcia

-Eric Ainge / Derek Anderson

-James Davis / Frank Gore

-Andre Caldwell / Josh Reed

-Earl Bennett / Jerricho Cotchery

-Ezra Butler / James Farrior

ill do more later.

Cunningham
01-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Justin King - Fred Smoot

DiG
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Justin King - Fred Smoot

no way. im assuming that you hate on smoot because of his time in minne but in DC before he went to Minne he had a very good career going and this past year he impressed a lot of people with his play. When Carlos went out he stepped right in where he left off a couple years back and was solid all year.

As for the comparison I think your pretty far off. Justin King is probably faster than Smoot in terms of straight line timed speed but he lacks Smoots ball skills and ability to make fluid transitions once he has diagnosed the play. This is one of Kings biggest weaknesses and one of Smoots biggest strengths. If you watch King on film he bites all the time and makes poor decisions when the ball is in the air. Also, King has always shown that he shies away from contact and doesn't look to assist in run support. Coming out of college Smoot was the opposite. He didn't have the best form but he loved to get aggressive with receivers and jam them a lot. His knock was always that he was sometimes over aggressive and missed on tackles. Finally, King needs to work on his ball skills when the ball is in the air. His timing on jumping at high balls is usually off just enough. Smoot on the other hand was known at MSU for getting good elevation and winning out on those 50/50 balls.

That doesn't even start to get into the vocal part of their games...

Cunningham
01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
no way. im assuming that you hate on smoot because of his time in minne but in DC before he went to Minne he had a very good career going and this past year he impressed a lot of people with his play. When Carlos went out he stepped right in where he left off a couple years back and was solid all year.

As for the comparison I think your pretty far off. Justin King is probably faster than Smoot in terms of straight line timed speed but he lacks Smoots ball skills and ability to make fluid transitions once he has diagnosed the play. This is one of Kings biggest weaknesses and one of Smoots biggest strengths. If you watch King on film he bites all the time and makes poor decisions when the ball is in the air. Also, King has always shown that he shies away from contact and doesn't look to assist in run support. Coming out of college Smoot was the opposite. He didn't have the best form but he loved to get aggressive with receivers and jam them a lot. His knock was always that he was sometimes over aggressive and missed on tackles. Finally, King needs to work on his ball skills when the ball is in the air. His timing on jumping at high balls is usually off just enough. Smoot on the other hand was known at MSU for getting good elevation and winning out on those 50/50 balls.

That doesn't even start to get into the vocal part of their games...
next time don't assume things. i'm not saying i like or dislike either king or smoot. the two are comparable in their measurements and in the fact that they excel in man to man as opposed to zone.

bearfan
01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
For some reason, I see Jake Delhomme in Matt Flynn

sportsnerd23
01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
mario manningham = Donte Stallworth

ChiefJunkie
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
If Oher was still in this draft, I would compare him to Willie Roaf. Similar build, athleticness. others that come to mind:

Johnathan Stewart=Michael Turner
Adarius Bowman=Roy Williams
Owen Schmitt=Mike Alstott
Desean Jackson=Santonio Holmes
Fred Davis=Ben Watson

DiG
01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
a few more from me.

Patrick Chung = Anthony Smith

Adrian Arrington = Brandon Marshall

Chris Ellis = Andre Carter

Ravens1991
01-17-2008, 04:38 PM
what is the best comparison for Malcolm Kelly and other WR?

stephenson86
01-17-2008, 04:44 PM
JStew reminds me of ronnie brown

01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
what is the best comparison for Malcolm Kelly and other WR?

Malcolm Kelly - Braylon Edwards
DeSean Jackson - Santonio Holmes
Limas Sweed - Plaxico Burress
Early Doucet - Derrick Mason
Mario Manningham - Bernard Berrian

mqtirishfan
01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
mario manningham = Donte Stallworth

As a prospect? Not even close.

KMOXlistener
01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
First time Poster!!!. I've been enjoying the board for a week or so now.

I really agree with the Felix Jones-Willie Parker comparison

i was also fixing to post that Stewart is very similar to Ronnie Brown but someone beat me to the punch.

shawn
01-18-2008, 10:23 PM
ray rice- curtis martin
desean jackson- teddy ginn jr
limas sweed- roy williams(not just because of the school)
malcolm kelly- anquan bolidn
harry douglas- deion branch
mario uritia- mike williams
tracy porter- roderick hood

BigJohn98
01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Xavier Lee- Peyton Manning.

Mo'town Raven52
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Owen Schmitt=Mike Alstott?????
Desean Jackson=Santonio Holmes

Owen Schmitt is a far better "fullback" than Alstott, he will actually run block, and only once since Owen has been in morgantown have I ever seen him line up in the backfield with a blocking back infront of him in the I. Mike was actually pulled off the field in blocking only situations when he was still around, Barnes would come on for the Bucs and block.
Santonio Holmes was a polished wide reciever that should have been able to make the transition straight to pro play, but he took a bit longer than ppl anticipated; Desean makes me think of an Eric Metcalf lmao or a Ted Ginn that can actually play WR.