PDA

View Full Version : How Can James Hardy Go First Round?

BCLSports02
01-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey guys, I have always been a big fan of Hardy's potential. He doesn't strike me as a Dwayne Jarrett type because of his huge frame making him a very intriguing prospect. How do you think he could manage to go first round. I have a hunch that it's possible he goes as high as #17 with Minnesota with a great combine proving his speed can match his size.

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, I have always been a big fan of Hardy's potential. He doesn't strike me as a Dwayne Jarrett type because of his huge frame making him a very intriguing prospect. How do you think he could manage to go first round. I have a hunch that it's possible he goes as high as #17 with Minnesota with a great combine proving his speed can match his size.

I like his size, hands, routes and production, however I was very unimpressed in his last game of the year. He struggled to get seperation and that is a big concern going into the next level. It all depends on his combine and what he runs, but i see him as a late 2nd rounder right now. However, there is a chance that if he runs in the high 4.4s or so he could sneak into the first round, but i still see his best being a 4.5 flat, which is still a stretch.

BCLSports02
01-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I have similar feelings too, but facts that I tend to consider are that he plays in a weak offense where Lewis isn't exactly a star QB, and Hardy is basically the only weapon to key on. I don't know, but games like he had against PSU with King covering him the whole time make me think he could cause some major matchup nightmares on the next level. This makes me think that he could be a Dwayne Bowe/Craig Davis type who really jumps up by draft day.

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
He certainly has talent, but there is an increasing level of talent in the wide reciever class this year. So, it wouldn't be surprising to see a 1st round talent fall out of the first. It's also nice to see that a lot of them have real good size. (is 220 lbs some sort of average weight everyone just gives to themself or is this what everyone over 6'4 weighs? hah)

Earl Bennett
James Hardy - 6'7 220
Early Doucet
Adrian Arrington - 6'3 195
Malcolm Kelly - 6'4 220
Adarius Bowman - 6'4 220
Limas Sweed - 6'5 220
Jordy Nelson - 6'3 217

jballa838
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
James Hardy can go in the first round if a team picks him in the first round.
but seriously we need a good combine 40 and vert.

keylime_5
01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
He's 6-7/220 with the best hands there is, and he has good body placement to get the jump ball, is strong, and runs good routes. He supposedly runs a 4.4 or in that area, but he doesn't run like Plaxico Burress and get the kinda seperation he should for being so fast and big, which is the only reason he's not a top 15 pick. I really hope we can get him in Cleveland, but I doubt that happens. IMO he could go in the late first or as low as the 3rd round.

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 10:48 PM
He's 6-7/220 with the best hands there is, and he has good body placement to get the jump ball, is strong, and runs good routes. He supposedly runs a 4.4 or in that area, but he doesn't run like Plaxico Burress and get the kinda seperation he should for being so fast and big, which is the only reason he's not a top 15 pick. I really hope we can get him in Cleveland, but I doubt that happens. IMO he could go in the late first or as low as the 3rd round.

Pff cause you guys really need more big talented recievers, spread the wealth around man hah.

BCLSports02
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I also find it strange he has trouble getting separation, but I think he can learn this skill with time...And as he proved on the college level, he doesn't even need separation! The only thing that bothers me is I hatet he Dwayne Jarrett type, and something tells me Hardy could be DJ but much taller with a bigger frame which is the only reason Hardy intrigues me a lot more.

Mauler97
01-12-2008, 01:16 AM
I think big WR's need either great speed or they have to be physical like Boldin, Colston, Fitzgerald, and Brandon Marshall to fight for position and seperation. I think that is why Williams and Jarrett stink, they have size but are far too finesse type to do anything.
Hardy isn't very physical from what I have seen.

I think Hardy could slowly develop and learn and become another Plaxico Burress type but he is too much bust/boom for me. Same with Limas Sweed, his best year he had 46 catches in the Big-12 Jordy Nelson had that much in one game well not quite but almost.

The one thing Hardy will do right away is be a great red-zone threat. He can really jump and is already 6'7.

asmitty45
01-12-2008, 02:04 AM
He's so big and strong that I expect somebody to spend a 1st on him. deservedly or not.

Jax maybe? They seem to like taking risks on WR's

Its Ya Boy
01-12-2008, 02:37 AM
He's so big and strong that I expect somebody to spend a 1st on him. deservedly or not.

Jax maybe? They seem to like taking risks on WR's

fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, call me the lions

Turtlepower
01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
He does have some character concerns. He robbed Justin King out of millions of dollars with his work against him. =D

bruschis4all
01-12-2008, 09:55 AM
He does have some character concerns. He robbed Justin King out of millions of dollars with his work against him. =D

LOL. Justin better stay at PSU another year. I'm a PSU alum. He had a very mediocre year. I think he has 2 things he can improve on to become a good pro. One can taught. The other, I'm not so sure about. He needs some work on his technique. PSU had their corners play 10 yards off, and turn and run with the receiver. Usually, leaving them in a vulnerable position. I think he'll be better once he gets into the pros and works on his press coverage. On the other hand. He seemed to be in good position on many plays this year. But, didn't react well to the ball. Hardy had a height mis-match on him. But, there were other games he just didn't react well to the ball once it was in the air. I remember Buffalo had some nice catches on him.

cardsalltheway
01-12-2008, 11:57 AM

I realize this is a joke, but some teams may have lingering concerns about his character. He's been missed games before for unknown rule violations and he has been accussed of domestic abuse, although the charges in that case were dropped. That being said, since Hep died, he seems like has new purpose and has things straightened out, Hep really had a profound effect on him.

NYGibril28
01-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I think too much stock is put into a player's bowl game. If you switch this game with his best of the year, no one mentions his stock dropping. I think he's a late-1st guy with potential to go in the teens. My gut feeling is that with his size and skill set, he doesn't fall far into the 2nd round, if at all.

neko4
01-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Ever since i got the Big Ten Network ive been able to watch basically all of Indiana's games. Ive been largely impressd with Hardy and I really think he is the best WR in the draft

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
He is a good player in a medium team. I think he can go in the late 2nd-early 3rd.

bored of education
01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Anywhere from mid 1st to Late 2nd. He is my number 2 WR.

BCLSports02
01-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Well I definitely think Hardy has the most "rise" potential in this draft, I can't think of anyone who should be able to move higher than a guy like Hardy considering his phsyical abilities. It's gotta be tough as a GM to pass him up, as someone else mentioned, at the ultimate worst case you still have an amazing redzone target.

01-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Well I definitely think Hardy has the most "rise" potential in this draft, I can't think of anyone who should be able to move higher than a guy like Hardy considering his phsyical abilities. It's gotta be tough as a GM to pass him up, as someone else mentioned, at the ultimate worst case you still have an amazing redzone target.

There are many other receivers in this draft with equally gifted physical abilities but it all doesnt mean much if he cant prove that he can separate from defenders at the next level.

ONUV
01-13-2008, 06:42 PM
don't know a lot about him but i like his size.

the titans need some playmakers at wide receiver. they pick late in the first round.

Don Killuminati
01-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Reggie Williams...

01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Reggie Williams...

This guys even bigger than Williams. You cant teach size but I still feel hes gonna be overdrafted because of it, second round talent IMO.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Not sure about his hands, like mentioned above Reggie Williams, or a Tyrone Calico. Route runnign and hands are big question marks on this guy.

BroadwayJoe10
01-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I think one of hardy's best attributes, besides his size, has always been his hands. He has soft hands and runs pretty crisp routes, the thing that's going to make or break him is his 40 time, he needs to prove that he can get seperation at the next level.

HoopsDemon12
01-13-2008, 09:25 PM

For me i would have to say earl bennet has the best hands out there in the NCAA... but he is still a great prospect

Iamcanadian
01-14-2008, 07:10 AM
I also find it strange he has trouble getting separation, but I think he can learn this skill with time...And as he proved on the college level, he doesn't even need separation! The only thing that bothers me is I hatet he Dwayne Jarrett type, and something tells me Hardy could be DJ but much taller with a bigger frame which is the only reason Hardy intrigues me a lot more.

Don't believe what you hear, believe what you see. Hardy will probably measure in around 6'5" possibly close to 6'6". When you hear a rumour that a guy runs 4.4 or 4.50 but has trouble getting seperation, then it is far more likely he runs in the 4.6's and that the rumour is a myth.
In college, WR's face CB's who run in the mid 4.6's all the time but in the pros they face CB's who run at least between 4.30-4.50 and seperation is a serious problem for slow WR's.
Hardy fate will rest on his combine times, if he can put up a 4.50, he has a real shot at round 1, 4.55-4.60, he's looking at rounds 2 and 3, anything slower, day 2 at best.
Hardy also has some character issues which the pros will look at seriously.