PDA

View Full Version : What should the dolphins do?

Splat
01-11-2008, 11:01 AM
If you ran the dolphins what would you do?

FinNasty
01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
The #1 choice is to trade down...

But that is a LOT easier said than done...

Its going to be either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston...

G-Men88
01-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Trade down and Take Vernon Gholston

Splat
01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't watch as much college as I do the NFL so I don't know much about Vernon Gholston but sure have been starting to hear his name alot.

ammandss
01-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Obviously trade down since they have so many holes. The issue is that they don't have a trading partner. Dallas has two first rounders but they are late and not enough to get a deal done. Looks like they will have to get creative to trade that pick.

Otherwise, I'd say that they take Glenn Dorsey even though I'm a huge Chris Long fan (Virginia fan).

FinNasty
01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Obviously trade down since they have so many holes. The issue is that they don't have a trading partner. Dallas has two first rounders but they are late and not enough to get a deal done. Looks like they will have to get creative to trade that pick.

Otherwise, I'd say that they take Glenn Dorsey even though I'm a huge Chris Long fan (Virginia fan).

Dorsey doesnt fit our defense...

Halsey
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Try to trade down. If that doesn't work take Dorsey, Chris Long or Jake Long.

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd say the chances of Miami getting to trade down are slim and none, and slim is not looking good right now. I say they take Glenn Dorsey, but if I were them I'd probably look at one of the defensive ends instead. Depends entirely on who their defensive coordinator is next year.

Splat
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
It seems there is not a sure fire first pick so I agree will be kinda hard to trade down.

toddmlazarchick
01-11-2008, 04:03 PM
trade down...Gholston would be the safest pick to me. Dorsey wont fit their scheme. McFadden would be a wasted pick, not just because i don't think he is that good.

D-Unit
01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Trading down will be a tough task... Seeing as there is no one worth trading up for.

Stay and take Chris Long.

KCJ58
01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Trade with Atlanta, one guy is not gonna fix that team

Finsfan79
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Dorsey doesnt fit our defense...

he is just as big as chris long if not bigger for a DE spot according to some reports

Dorsey has a higher potential too

Trade down or take Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey, you take the best players possible

thebow305
01-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Trade down and Take Vernon Gholston

Ditto.

Even if we don't trade down, VG is still gonna be the pick. If we could trade down two spots with ATL and get him at 3 while picking up one of their second rounders as well, that would be Best Case Scenario.

Sveen
01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
1. Trade down
2. Chris Long
3. Glenn Dorsey
4. Jake Long

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 07:19 PM
he is just as big as chris long if not bigger for a DE spot according to some reports

Trade down or take Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey, you take the best players possible

It's not about how heavy they are. Chris Long is 6-4/285 which is decent size for a 3-4 DE, but his skill set is perfect for the 3-4. Dorsey is 6-2/300 and his skillset is perfect for a 4-3, especially a cover 2. Dorsey does not fit at DE or NT in a 3-4. Techincally he could play DE in a 3-4, but he would not be close to as good there as he would be at DT in a 4-3, and DEFINITELY not good enough at DE in a 3-4 to be worth a top overall pick. Bottom line: If Miami drafts Glenn Dorsey then either they are gonna run a 4-3 or they made a mistake. Now Chris Long can be a versatile weapon in the 3-4, playing DE in base defense, and DT and DE in nickel packages. He could also play standing up OLB sometimes too in certain packages. If they want Gholston over Long, then they'll get a guy who can play all 3 LB spots at times, and both DE spots at times, and even DT from time to time. Gholston can be the replacement for Taylor at RE/rush LB, and will give Parcells a pass rusher to build his defense around ala LT.

Trade down shouldn't be an option in this poll. Teams at #1 overall NEVER trade down even if they want to unless there's a guy like Eli Manning, Michael Vick, or Orlando Pace sitting pretty atop the draft. Since all we have this year are Dorsey and McFadden, the odds or Miami trading down are remote at best.

thebow305
01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
1. Trade down
2. Chris Long
3. Glenn Dorsey
4. Jake Long

Jake Long is not gonna be the pick. I will go out on a limb and GUARANTEE that! It will be either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston you can bank on that! I give my nod to Gholston though.

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
I agree that they won't take Jake Long with Gholston, Chris Long, and Glenn Dorsey on the board. I'll include Dorsey now b/c as far as we know they'll be running a 4-3 or a 4-3/3-4 hybrid by draft day, so let's not assume anything yet. Until I see that Miami is gonna run a 3-4 next year with their staff, I wouldn't rule out Dorsey. But I do think they'll be employing a 3-4 and that Long or Gholston would be their 2 finalists.

The Legend
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
they need more picks so move down

keylime_5
01-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Like I said, highly doubtful they move down. Who in their right mind would move up? It doesn't work like that, I'm sorry. Everyone wants more picks, but it's not that easy.

GET LOOSE
01-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Like I said, highly doubtful they move down. Who in their right mind would move up? It doesn't work like that, I'm sorry. Everyone wants more picks, but it's not that easy.

yea i agree...they will not trade down but they should take Gholston or Long

BroadwayJoe10
01-11-2008, 09:49 PM
I think it all depends on the defense they run, but i just see parcells falling in love with C.long. This is one of those questions i really would like to hear what scott says, I want to know does gholston carry the value that would warrant a first overll pick? or even a top 3?

FinNasty
01-11-2008, 10:28 PM

It has absolutly nothing to do with size...

Don Killuminati
01-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Take McFadden. That way, Oakland won't be tempted to.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
01-11-2008, 10:58 PM
ideally i'd say they trade down and try to fill multiple holes. I think there is talent throughout the first round and they could use it. However, finding a trade partner is easier said than done, assuming non can be found i'd say to take Jake Long. For me, DTs bust to often, although Dorsey seems to be a safer than normal fat guy who will get lazy. He does have injury history though, and for a first round pick that may deter someone, at least at #1 overall, because of the large amount of cash that goes to a #1 pick.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
01-11-2008, 11:00 PM
i can't wait to see what Dolphin_49er fan or whatever his name is has to say about this, before and after the draft. Guy was good for some laughs last year

G-Men88
01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Even if we don't trade down, VG is still gonna be the pick.

Agreed, especially with Parcells running the ship. perfect 3-4 pass rusher

thebow305
01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
It has absolutly nothing to do with size...

Its does have a little to do with it. If Dorsey was two inches taller, we wouldn't be having the discussion about whether he fits out defense or not. he would be the pick most likely. Bottom Line.

GET LOOSE
01-12-2008, 12:59 AM
the dolphins need a big hug...lol...they have alot of options and good help them if they choose the wrong 1

FinNasty
01-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Its does have a little to do with it. If Dorsey was two inches taller, we wouldn't be having the discussion about whether he fits out defense or not. he would be the pick most likely. Bottom Line.

I was more refering to his weight. Yes, if he was 6'4, there would be no problem.

finsfan4life
01-12-2008, 03:12 AM
I say sell the pick to the highest bidder. A lot of the people talking about not being able to trade down are basing their opinions on some draft chart Jimmy Johnson came up with ages ago. To hell with the chart, trade the pick to the highest bidder.

villagewarrior
01-13-2008, 03:02 AM
I think with the Dolphins coaching staff in transition as well as most of the defense being extremely old, they could pretty much go in any direction and base the new defense off that player. That being said, I think Dorsey is the best player in the draft and he should be the guy taken first overall.

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Pick Jordy Nelson to make a couple with Ted Ginn. Just kidding, take Dorsey and fill up that hole.

sportsnerd23
01-13-2008, 08:43 AM
i think that they are one of the best 1 and 15 teams in the history of football.