PDA

View Full Version : The Next 'Elite' Program

BamaFalcon59
01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
What team do you see becoming the next 'elite' college football program? I meen a program that consistantly challenges for a BSC birth and generally grabs 10+ wins a season. There are programs on the verge such as West Virginia, Virginia Tech., and Wisconsin. Then there are teams who appear to be on the verge but haven't done it consistently, like Missouri, Clemson, Kansas, South Florida, Rutgers, and Illinois.

All of them have questions. West Virginia lost its coach and has had success with the duo of Pat White and Steve Slaton, can it do it without them? Virginia Tech. puts up wins but loses the big games. Wisconsin can not get past Michigan and Ohio State. The rest have short lived success but look to have potential.

I am a Virginia Tech. fan so I am biased and will go in a different direction. I like South Florida. Although they choked big in the bowl game it is all there. Tons of Florida talent, Miami and Florida State have been underperforming and recruits might start looking at South Florida, and the Big East is weak.

Patriots16-0
01-12-2008, 09:45 AM
South Florida is getting a elite program. They will have 10 or 11 wins this year. Watch out the Maryland Terrapins. They improve a bit every year.

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 09:52 AM
wvu

we're fine for the next couple years; brown and devine after next year; then bradley starks (4* qb), devine, and terrance kerns (4* rb)

plus, some of the coaches we have hired are very good recruiters---doc holliday (one of the best), david lockwood (one of uk's best), chris beatty (very good in the va tidewater area; percy harvin's hs coach)

Michigan
01-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Alabama under Saban has to be a good candidate. WVU is on the verge of elite right now, but they hired Bill Stewart...

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
stewarts gonna be more of a ceo type; let his assisstants do the play calling/coaching

something the egomanic up north didnt know how to do

and he outcoached bob stoops

Don Vito
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I think its gonna be Missouri within just a few years, the pieces are in lace and they have started to recruit a lot better recently.

Another possibility is South Carolina, they dissappointed this year but they have loaded up on talent and Spurrier is a great coach.

Patriots16-0
01-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I think its gonna be Missouri within just a few years, the pieces are in lace and they have started to recruit a lot better recently.

Another possibility is South Carolina, they dissappointed this year but they have loaded up on talent and Spurrier is a great coach.

Hey, I was thinking on both!

Also, Georgia and North Carolina (maybe that's the UNC homer on me...)

Michigan
01-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey, I was thinking on both!

Also, Georgia and North Carolina (maybe that's the UNC homer on me...)

Georgia? (10)

Tampa 2 4 life
01-12-2008, 11:41 AM
South Florida is getting a elite program. They will have 10 or 11 wins this year. Watch out the Maryland Terrapins. They improve a bit every year.

ehhhh, I won't go that far. We need Big DT or else every RB with a big line will run for 200+(Rice, Stewart) on us. I'll say 9 solid.

Mr. Stiller
01-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Maybe not Challenge for the NC every year...

But Florida Atlantic is taking off.

Play Hard
01-12-2008, 11:49 AM
With the Nieuheisal (sp) hiring they will be back too. I am not a fan but the should give USC a run for their money for awhile.

bored of education
01-12-2008, 11:55 AM
UCONN is starting to get some good recruiting classes, I don't think they will be elite but will have some top 10 teams in the future

P-L
01-12-2008, 11:59 AM

Yeah, I only question how much longer will Schnellenberger be there and if his successor can keep them moving forward. However, they're definitely in the right direction.

VoteLynnSwan
01-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Illinois is well on its way to becoming a top tier program... not elite, but top tier.

Turtlepower
01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
What about ASU people??? =D

Mr. Stiller
01-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I only question how much longer will Schnellenberger be there and if his successor can keep them moving forward. However, they're definitely in the right direction.

I don't know how long he'll be there or the successor, but their QB is one of the top 5 for 2010.

And he still knows how to build a program.

Turtlepower
01-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I think Pitt is on the up and up. I see them at the very least going to a bowl game next year.

mqtirishfan
01-12-2008, 02:27 PM
stewarts gonna be more of a ceo type; let his assisstants do the play calling/coaching

something the egomanic up north didnt know how to do

and he outcoached bob stoops

The egomaniac got you to two BCS bowls. Have fun with Stewart...

scottyboy
01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I think WVA is already an elite program, but that could be from a weak Big east in the past. I still consider them to be elite.

You look at Rutgers(and I'll try and put homerism aside for the most part here).

They've got a good coach who's considered a god up here in jersey. Already has some talent now(Britt, Underwood, possibly Greene staying, Davis etc) and loads of young freshman/redshirt frosh/sophs who will see more time this upcoming season. He's keeping players from jersey at home, while getting some florida recruits(see Eric Foster and now DC Jefferson).

another huge key recruiting wise is, New York. New York is a huge state with loads of talent.(Ray Rice, Courtney Greene, Brian Leonard) With no real football college to call its own(sorry Buffalo) more and more NY talent will come to Rutgers. it's popularity is on the rise and it's in a great location for talent to recruit, along with our current talent now

Patriots16-0
01-12-2008, 03:01 PM

I agree with that. Florida Atlantic dominates easily the Sun Belt. One year they'll get undefeated thanks to their schedule.

jbeans187
01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Mizzou? We've got a good class coming in, and stability throughout the program

TigerBait45
01-12-2008, 03:14 PM
South Florida has the best recruiting base to work with for sure, so I'm inclined to say them.

JT Jag
01-12-2008, 03:34 PM
South Florida is getting a elite program. They will have 10 or 11 wins this year. Watch out the Maryland Terrapins. They improve a bit every year.They had over 10 wins in 2002 and 2003, and then a pair of consecutive 5-win seasons.

They piled up 9 wins last year, but I think they simply returned to form this season when they went 6-6.

Patriots16-0
01-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh, and I forget: Kansas, and believe or not, Oklahoma State. I think 2008 will be their comeback season.

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 04:55 PM
The egomaniac got you to two BCS bowls. Have fun with Stewart...

that egomaniac also lost to a 28 point underdog with the NC on the line; if he actually let his off coord call plays we would have won

and a lot of the coaches now at mich arent that good; the better ones stayed at wvu

TouchdownUSC
01-12-2008, 07:02 PM
kansas. i think they have a good coaching staff.

jbeans187
01-12-2008, 07:13 PM
kansas. i think they have a good coaching staff.

I dont think Mangino will make it much longer :) But if he gets bigger and spins around he will have a gravitational pull which might pull in some recruits

BamaFalcon59
01-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Since noone has said Virginia Tech., I will say why it is them.

While they have piled up a ton of wins the past few years they have failed in the big games. Noone has took control of the ACC but Virginia Tech. is the closest to it with 2 ACC titles and a runner up in the past 4 years. They lack a BCS win or even a big bowl win though.

The recruiting used to be dreadful but it is improving fast. Not only do we dominate Virginia (14 of the Rivals Virginia top 30 with 4 players considering) but are spreading influence all along the east coast.

Tyrod Taylor looks to be legit, and newly recruited RB Ryan Williams will be running behind a pair of Rivals250 tackles and some beef inside with Sergio Render and Nick Marshman. Wide receiver was depleted this year but this class is deep.

On defense we lose plenty but our defense should always be good or at worst solid. Good recruitments at CB and LB with decent ones at DE and S. Only DT is weak.

Special teams should continue to excel, even with return man Eddie Royal departing we have plenty of young guys who can replace him. Field goal and punt blocks should continue.

The future is bright with Tyrod Taylor and plenty of young talent.

etk
01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I am a Virginia Tech. fan so I am biased and will go in a different direction. I like South Florida. Although they choked big in the bowl game it is all there. Tons of Florida talent, Miami and Florida State have been underperforming and recruits might start looking at South Florida, and the Big East is weak.

I don't see that happening. Even the Tampa recruits don't always go to USF, like Aaron Murray-UF. Our underperforming hasn't stopped us from getting a top 5 recruiting class either.

Tampa 2 4 life
01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't see that happening. Even the Tampa recruits don't always go to USF, like Aaron Murray-UF. Our underperforming hasn't stopped us from getting a top 5 recruiting class either.

Aaron Murray was always a UF fan, so you can't really say that...We usually do get the Plant/Armwood kids, though.

BamaFalcon59
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM

But in the next 3 years they need to win some games if they want to maintain top 5 recruiting class. South Florida U is huge if I recall and the surrounding area is not bad either.

mqtirishfan
01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
that egomaniac also lost to a 28 point underdog with the NC on the line; if he actually let his off coord call plays we would have won

and a lot of the coaches now at mich arent that good; the better ones stayed at wvu

The egomaniac is the reason you were 28 point favorites in the first place. Should USC fans be hoping for Pete Carroll to leave? He lost to Stanford. Should OSU fans be calling for Tressel's head? He lost to Illinois. Is Les Miles pathetic? He lost to Arkansas.

Shall I continue? If you dislike the guy for leaving WVU to go to a better program, I understand. But to turn face and act like he was anything other than the savior of your team's football program is ridiculous.

badgerbacker
01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Before kwilk responds saying that he was terrible until Pat White and Steve Slaton were there, take a look at his success at previous jobs and think of the offense he put in place for White and Slaton.

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 09:52 PM
The egomaniac is the reason you were 28 point favorites in the first place. Should USC fans be hoping for Pete Carroll to leave? He lost to Stanford. Should OSU fans be calling for Tressel's head? He lost to Illinois. Is Les Miles pathetic? He lost to Arkansas.

Shall I continue? If you dislike the guy for leaving WVU to go to a better program, I understand. But to turn face and act like he was anything other than the savior of your team's football program is ridiculous.

you have no idea; he invented the spread option (by a mistake), but others have taken it to the next level (see meyer, urban)

tons of stuff has been swept under the rug that will come out if he takes the lawsuit to court; hes been asked to not return to several high schools for basically stalking kids

hes choked in every big game (where we were favorites); and his staff that he took to um is hardly qualified (see gibson, tony); our current staff will be better than the old staff

mqtirishfan
01-12-2008, 09:58 PM
you have no idea; he invented the spread option (by a mistake), but others have taken it to the next level (see meyer, urban)

tons of stuff has been swept under the rug that will come out if he takes the lawsuit to court; hes been asked to not return to several high schools for basically stalking kids

hes choked in every big game (where we were favorites); and his staff that he took to um is hardly qualified (see gibson, tony); our current staff will be better than the old staff

So you're giving him credit for the spread option, which is the key to your team's success. +1 for RR.

*Yawn* He's a dick in the recruiting process. (See Meyer, Urban)

I find it hard to believe that WVU was not the favorite in nearly every single game this season, so I doubt he chokes in every game he's the favorite. His BCS victory against Georgia was impressive for a big game. Or do only games where you're expected to win count on a coach's resume? Because that would be quite nice. Oh, and he took his staff, which was good enough to build an, I don't know, "elite" program according to you.

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 10:12 PM
he didnt look to invent the spread option it was a mistake

he's been banned from several high schools in the pittsburgh areas for sitting out in the parking lot for hours waiting for recruits to finish school

theres more personal stuff that will come out in the lawsuit

he hasnt won a big game since uga---and he almost blew that; he refuses to let the off coord call plays, which is why we never threw the ball

he only hire 'yes' men on his staff; our qb was the off coord from usf who almost got fired

the safeties coach sucked--to quote aaron beasley (former all-amer at wvu, just retired from the nfl)---"the guy is clueless, just clueless; they have no technique out there"

he never took the blame for a loss---never; always blamed it on "execution"; which is essentially throwing the players under the bus

and he forced a lot of kids to transfer his 1st year here; he doesnt know how to adjust his system; thats why he took over a 7-5 team that won its bowl game, to 3-8; and we had less than 70 kids on scholarship

Tampa 2 4 life
01-12-2008, 10:13 PM
he only hire 'yes' men on his staff; our qb was the off coord from usf who almost got fired

I dunno why'd you get an OC from USF anyway...

NOSH
01-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Even though I am a fan of PSU I'd say Paterno has them on the verge of being elite again. No more Morelli and they will have Clark (Robinson 2.0) for two years before handing it over to Devlin. They've been right at 9-10 wins the last three years and just can't win the big game (Michigan, OSU, etc.) but have won their last three bowl games. The D will always be good but the offense needs bigger and more consistent receivers which they have but are stuck behind DWill, Butler, Norwood, and Golden.

A few more top 20 recruiting classes and they should get over the hump. I hope.

mqtirishfan
01-12-2008, 10:21 PM
he didnt look to invent the spread option it was a mistake

Still invented it, according to you. I don't care how he managed to do it.

he hasnt won a big game since uga---and he almost blew that; he refuses to let the off coord call plays, which is why we never threw the ball

Or it might have something to do with the fact Pat White is a miserable excuse for an actual QB. He threw it plenty with other QBs.

What is he going to do, take guys with him that don't agree with him? Seems like a poor way to build a staff.

he never took the blame for a loss---never; always blamed it on "execution"; which is essentially throwing the players under the bus

And yet his players liked him. Interesting.

and he forced a lot of kids to transfer his 1st year here; he doesnt know how to adjust his system; thats why he took over a 7-5 team that won its bowl game, to 3-8; and we had less than 70 kids on scholarship
And went on to build a great program that won two BCS bowls in 3 years. Great point.

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I dunno why'd you get an OC from USF anyway...

cuz him and rod are boys from back in the day and hes a 'yes' man

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
pat white seemed to throw well in the fiesta bowl

and the reason theyre 'yes' men is cuz they wont oppose anything he says---like oc calvin magee; his play calling gets overridden 90% of the time; its really rod calling the plays

and players liking him---not all of them; rumor around campus is slaton and him didnt see eye to eye----reason why slaton only got 23 carries in our 2 losses (no he wasnt hurt); also, some of the older players dont have the nicest things to say about him

and he never threw the ball a lot; he never used chris henry like he should; and he was one of the better receivers in college when he played

it'll be nice to actually have some position coaches that know what they're doing in the secondary---not guys that shouldnt be coaching high school, nonetheless d-1 like tony gibson

mqtirishfan
01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
He threw the ball enough for Marshall to have quite the career in relation to other WVU QBs. As an OC, he threw the ball a hell of a lot. The passing attack died with the emergence of the running game, which is pretty damn smart with who he had.

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 10:42 PM
marshall was one of the only 4 yr starters at wvu; thats why; hes not even in the top 5 qbs

major harris
pat white
jeff hostetler
marc bulger
oliver luck---andrews dad

he wont be successful at um unless he gets a qb that can run

badgerbacker
01-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Rod can be critized all you want, but he still responsible for a large part of WVU's current success. Kwilk, you obviously have a lot of information, but unless you were actually on the team or a part of the coaching staff you can't know exactly how much or little he did. We'll just have to wait a couple years to see how their program does to see what kind of impact he has.

badgerbacker
01-12-2008, 10:47 PM
he wont be successful at um unless he gets a qb that can runThat is because a running qb is a huge part of his offense. That's like saying June Jones won't be successful unless he gets a qb that can pass.

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Rod can be critized all you want, but he still responsible for a large part of WVU's current success. Kwilk, you obviously have a lot of information, but unless you were actually on the team or a part of the coaching staff you can't know exactly how much or little he did. We'll just have to wait a couple years to see how their program does to see what kind of impact he has.

what part are you talking about? the rod calling the plays?---hes admitted that; same with magee

the beasley quote about gibson?---article in the paper over the summer; he attended summer practices

most coaching staffs, the coaches come from different places; at wvu (now um), but they all came from wv; and were friends with rod growing up, or played for him at glenville st

and part of the reason rod doesnt throw the ball is cuz hes a defensive guy; he was a db, and still thinks like a defensive coach

badgerbacker
01-12-2008, 10:56 PM
what part are you talking about? the rod calling the plays?---hes admitted that; same with magee

the beasley quote about gibson?---article in the paper over the summer; he attended summer practices

most coaching staffs, the coaches come from different places; at wvu (now um), but they all came from wv

and part of the reason rod doesnt throw the ball is cuz hes a defensive guy; he was a db, and still thinks like a defensive coachNot necessarily any of that stuff, I'm just saying as a fan, you don't really know how much a head coach does or what kind of impact he has on a program. You very well could be right, and WVU could improve. I'm just saying nobody can know for sure until we see how they do a couple years after he's left.

DChess
01-12-2008, 10:58 PM
this is my feelings on coach rod.

yes he took us to being a top ten team every year, and he is responsible for the turn around the school has had. but i never felt we coult win a NC with him. he could win bowl games as much but he could never make the final leap. i think the coaching staff being formed right now is legit. holliday is basically our head coach and if stewart gets in any trouble we already have a future HC. im not too upset

DChess
01-12-2008, 11:00 PM

most coaching staffs, the coaches come from different places; at wvu (now um), but they all came from wv; and were friends with rod growing up, or played for him at glenville st

and part of the reason rod doesnt throw the ball is cuz hes a defensive guy; he was a db, and still thinks like a defensive coach

thats part of the reason we lost to pitt. he never went down the field, or tried anything crazy because he felt our defense would hold up long enough to score points, which never happened. 3 offensive plays in the 3rd quarter. that was terrible

kwilk103
01-12-2008, 11:14 PM
this is my feelings on coach rod.

yes he took us to being a top ten team every year, and he is responsible for the turn around the school has had. but i never felt we coult win a NC with him. he could win bowl games as much but he could never make the final leap. i think the coaching staff being formed right now is legit. holliday is basically our head coach and if stewart gets in any trouble we already have a future HC. im not too upset

i felt for the past 2 years we peaked with him as a coach

he was 28-21 before 2005-pat white

2005-2007---33-5; and pat wasnt even the starter until the starter got hurt, and led us to the victory over ul

and slaton was 4th string; it took a combination of injuries and fumbles for him to start

the defensive staff has 3 d coord on it---david lockwood (former uk db/minn dc), casteel (current dc), and steve dunlap (led wvu d to #1 ranking in 96; former marshall and 'cuse dc)

thats a pretty good defensive staff

fenikz
01-13-2008, 12:42 AM
ASU seems to be going in the right direction, Illinois too

kwilk103
01-13-2008, 12:43 AM
i like illinois in the next year or 2 to wint the big 10

oregonbucfan
01-13-2008, 01:01 AM
ASU seems to be going in the right direction, Illinois too

ASU... every year people say that. Every year they lose the big games.

BamaFalcon59
01-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I wonder if anyone will ever consistently challenge Ohio State and Michigan in the Big 10. Seems doubtful.

Sniper
01-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I wonder if anyone will ever consistently challenge Ohio State and Michigan in the Big 10. Seems doubtful.

Illinois is looking good right now.

bearsfan_51
01-13-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm gonna go with Rutgers, and I'm actually serious.

etk
01-13-2008, 03:49 PM
But in the next 3 years they need to win some games if they want to maintain top 5 recruiting class. South Florida U is huge if I recall and the surrounding area is not bad either.

I don't think it can get much worse than 5-7. There's always gonna be tons of South Florida talent for Miami to pick up, but winning games helps recruit out of conference.

Sniper
01-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't think it can get much worse than 5-7. There's always gonna be tons of South Florida talent for Miami to pick up, but winning games helps recruit out of conference.

This Miami class will be the foundation for their return to greatness

Michigan
01-13-2008, 05:53 PM

i guarantee they won't win 8 games next year after losing Mendenhall, who was basically their entire offense.

princefielder28
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I think it's funny how people have brought up teams like Illinois and South Florida. These schools had one very good season and now they are headed for an 'Elite' status? What have they done in the past decade? Nothing! Schools like Virginia Tech and Wisconsin have been consistently good for atleast a decade, have competed for and won conference championships, and played in New Year's Bowls. Don't have one year judge whether a team is headed to a higher status, but base it on a wide spectrum of performances.

Sniper
01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
i guarantee they won't win 8 games next year after losing Mendenhall, who was basically their entire offense.

Depends on their schedule. Williams improved dramatically as a passer this season, Benn will have another year to develop and they've got a lot of young talent

princefielder28
01-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Depends on their schedule. Williams improved dramatically as a passer this season, Benn will have another year to develop and they've got a lot of young talent

Plus another Mendenhall at RB

CC
01-13-2008, 06:19 PM

Wisconsin was looking good last year, Penn St. was looking good 2 years ago, and Iowa was looking good 3 years ago.

The Big 10 has always been OSU and Michigan, and until we see some sustained success out of another program, that is what it will continue to be.

princefielder28
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Wisconsin was looking good last year, Penn St. was looking good 2 years ago, and Iowa was looking good 3 years ago.

The Big 10 has always been OSU and Michigan, and until we see some sustained success out of another program, that is what it will continue to be.

Wisconsin has played in a New Year's Day Bowl 8x since 1994, 3 of which were Rose Bowls, and have played in a total of 12 bowls since 1994...so I would say they have sustained themselves as a very good program

bearsfan_51
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Wisconsin has played in a New Year's Day Bowl 8x since 1994, 3 of which were Rose Bowls, and have played in a total of 12 bowls since 1994...so I would say they have sustained themselves as a very good program
Wisconsin is anywhere from pretty good to very good, but they aren't elite. I think Illinois will become a drain on their recruiting base as they become more established as well.

Wisconsin benefited for years from the lack of recruiting competition from Illinois and Minnesota. That and Alvarez was a hell of a coach.

scottyboy
01-13-2008, 09:24 PM

ok, see people, it's not just me!!! I actually had a non-homeristic explaintion on page one, I was proud of myself.

I may have to put this quote in my sig...

Jughead10
01-13-2008, 09:24 PM

It is possible if Schiano stays. However they still aren't getting the best recruits out of their own state. They have to keep these guys in NJ.

andyjo672
01-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Wisconsin is anywhere from pretty good to very good, but they aren't elite. I think Illinois will become a drain on their recruiting base as they become more established as well.

Wisconsin benefited for years from the lack of recruiting competition from Illinois and Minnesota. That and Alvarez was a hell of a coach.

Wisconsin has had to compete heavily with Notre Dame though over those years as the Irish have a very strong recruiting base in both Minnesota (Cretid Derham Hall) and Chicago.

bearsfan_51
01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
It is possible if Schiano stays. However they still aren't getting the best recruits out of their own state. They have to keep these guys in NJ.

Takes time. And I wasn't expecting this to happen in the next 5-10 years necessarily, building an elite program takes decades. There has been two rise to elite status in the last 20 years (Florida, LSU- could make a case for FSU though I think they're time in the sun is over), all the rest are basically retreads.

jballa838
01-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Ty Willingham + little in-state competition + Jake Locker = UW Being Elite.
basically Jake Locker will get people to watch UW and winning usually equates to better recruits which usually means more winning.

bearsfan_51
01-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Wisconsin has had to compete heavily with Notre Dame though over those years as the Irish have a very strong recruiting base in both Minnesota (Cretid Derham Hall) and Chicago.

Well the Irish are a given. The day Wisconsin outrecruits Notre Dame is the day my nuts don't freeze in a Minnesota winter.

fenikz
01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
ASU... every year people say that. Every year they lose the big games.

well they won 2 of 5 big games this year so that's an improvement, Erickson will also bring them the best recruits that they have probably ever had, espcially ones who aren't from AZ

NOSH
01-14-2008, 12:30 AM
If Penn State can get the QB situation figured out they could be back to elite and challenge Michigan and Ohio State. Although with their past history it might be wishful thinking.

Thunder&Lightning
01-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Texas Tech is on the rise with there potent spread offense gettin alot of hype this year they can only get more recruits

roidrunner
01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Im going to say louisville. it was a down year cause we lost our coach. and now had to learn a new system. new hires for the defense. we will take the next step to becoming a power program.

brat316
01-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Temple University will win the MAC next year.

Turtlepower
01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
well they won 2 of 5 big games this year so that's an improvement, Erickson will also bring them the best recruits that they have probably ever had, espcially ones who aren't from AZ

Erickson has been doing amazing recruiting in Cali this year. Also, the difference between the previous years and now is that we had Dirk Koetter as our head coach. Yeah, he could call an offense, but when it came to recruiting and having a defense, he was lost. The reasons why we lost to the bigger schools this year was simply due to 1 reason: speed. We were a very slow team with big players on defense, but not fast ones. If you look at the recruits that Erickson is bringing in, they are some of the fastest in the class. Pete Carroll went 6-6 with USC in his first year, and the next year he won the Orange Bowl. I'm not saying we will improve that much, but will we compete much better against teams like Oregon and USC next year in the PAC-10? Hell yeah!!!! =D

jbeans187
01-14-2008, 12:56 AM
I think it's funny how people have brought up teams like Illinois and South Florida. These schools had one very good season and now they are headed for an 'Elite' status? What have they done in the past decade? Nothing! Schools like Virginia Tech and Wisconsin have been consistently good for atleast a decade, have competed for and won conference championships, and played in New Year's Bowls. Don't have one year judge whether a team is headed to a higher status, but base it on a wide spectrum of performances.

Illinois and USF have great foundations to build on. Especially Illinois with Zook recruiting, next year their D will be young but they will only get better. I think in 2 years they could win the Big 10

Iamcanadian
01-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Alabama has to be the leading candidate with Saban as HC. He rebuilt LSU and he'll do the same for Bama.

Arizona St. has a legitimate chance with Erickson as their HC. Look what he did in 1 season without his own recruits.

South Carolina has a legit shot with Spurrior on board as their HC.

Missouri seems to have turned the corner and will be strong.

UCLA is a longer shot but definitely a possibility.

Finally North Carolina with Butch Davis as HC will definitely make a strong move up the ACC.

These are the only schools that I think have a legitimate shot at becoming perennial top 10 teams.

YAYareaRB
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
BYU is the next Elite Program..

Patriots16-0
01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Read the quote on my sig and find who will dominate the ACC.

etk
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Read the quote on my sig and find who will dominate the ACC.

Not one team in the ACC will win 4/5 titles. North Carolina will be a contender in 2 years, but they're not gonna come close to dominating the ACC.

princefielder28
01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Illinois and USF have great foundations to build on. Especially Illinois with Zook recruiting, next year their D will be young but they will only get better. I think in 2 years they could win the Big 10

Zook is a great recruited but not the best coach.....remember Florida?

Rich Jr
01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
is LSU "elite" yet? Because a few people I know don't consider them "elite" yet.

JT Jag
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
is LSU "elite" yet? Because a few people I know don't consider them "elite" yet.I don't know... is two BCS championships in five years elite?

toonsterwu
01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Within the ACC, as much as I'd like to say UVA, the darkhorse nod here goes to Clemson. After going through some tight years, Bowden seems to have found some safety, and he's pulling in solid classes. With Harper next year, and if Korn is as good as advertised, they have the chance for QB stability to maintain the winning, which could help them continue to net top talent and potentially net more top out of region talent (like Spiller).

Now, the main horse is Virginia Tech, which is a borderline elite program (better coaching than often given credit for ... they aren't exactly pulling in top classes year in and year out). If Miami/FSU get good QB play out of the "next" guys (Marve/Harris/Manuel), they'll be back sooner than expected. North Carolina is another chic pick, but I want to see if Butch Davis can pull in top classes consistently to UNC. This isn't exactly Miami that he's working out of. He got a good class last year, a solid class this year. For them to be elite, he needs to net a couple more quality classes and for all those kids to develop, so we're looking at least 2 years down the line before a viable shot to be elite in all likelihood.

UVA/MD will go through ups and downs on recruiting. MD has an outside chance. They have a better recruiting base to build around in the DC area, but Friedgen doesn't clean up there as well as he should. BC's lack of a recruiting base is a neg, Tom O'Brien was never a guy that pulled in top level classes, Wake Forest/Duke aren't likely to recruit that well for a consistent period.

I don't know what to think about Georgia Tech just yet.

josh07039
01-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I think it is impossible to predict what program will become elite. Being one of the perennial powerhouses means having a decade or so of success that creates a self sustaining program that will be able to maintain an extremely high level of success every season despite losses to graduation and the draft. Ill use Rutgers as an example because they are the program I am most familiar with. We can hardly be considered even close to elite program status. While we have had two very good recruiting classes and have a lot of talent red shirted for next year we still aren't even close. We don't have great fans yet and if Greg Schiano leaves when the Penn State job becomes available, a job he has been rumored to covet, we are screwed royally. Even though we have come a long way, I don't see it as a great job to come in to, and I think that is one of the marks of an elite program. Next year will be a big step one way or the other if we can handle the loss of Ray and 3 starting o linemen. I assume that many other programs mentioned share similar problems. There are just so many factors that contribute to greatness and so much time is needed it seems ridiculous to say that any program is on the verge of being elite.

Iamcanadian
01-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I think it is impossible to predict what program will become elite. Being one of the perennial powerhouses means having a decade or so of success that creates a self sustaining program that will be able to maintain an extremely high level of success every season despite losses to graduation and the draft. Ill use Rutgers as an example because they are the program I am most familiar with. We can hardly be considered even close to elite program status. While we have had two very good recruiting classes and have a lot of talent red shirted for next year we still aren't even close. We don't have great fans yet and if Greg Schiano leaves when the Penn State job becomes available, a job he has been rumored to covet, we are screwed royally. Even though we have come a long way, I don't see it as a great job to come in to, and I think that is one of the marks of an elite program. Next year will be a big step one way or the other if we can handle the loss of Ray and 3 starting o linemen. I assume that many other programs mentioned share similar problems. There are just so many factors that contribute to greatness and so much time is needed it seems ridiculous to say that any program is on the verge of being elite.

I believe a program can move into and out of the elite status fairly quickly. If your an elite program and you lose your HC for 1 reason or another, you can dropout of the elite class pretty quickly if you make a mistake in your next hire.
The opposite is also true, if you hire an elite HC, your school can move into the elite group after 2 or 3 seasons if you can retain that HC.
Lou Saban is a perfect example. Within a few years of his hire he brought LSU into the elite program status which produces 2 NC's. Pete Carroll is another, he brought back a dorment USC program after a very shot run on the job.
With Florida St., Miami and Penn St., you see 3 programs in decline as elite programs because the HC's who got them into the elite area just aren't either still there or still effective at their ages.
It is really a quick thing and doesn't require a decade to happen. When I look at the HCing hires at Alabama, Arizona St,, South Carolina and North Carolina, I see 4 HC's who have the a real shot at taking their schools to the elite status rather quickly. I also think UCLA(hired a good HC) and Missouri(if they can retain their HC) are 2 other programs with potential.

LSUALUM99
01-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Well, the first question you have to ask is what makes a team 'Elite'?

The second question you have to ask is how many 'Elite' teams can there be? For example, if you say that they are perennial top 10 teams then you really can't have more than say 12 'elite' programs in the NCAA at any given time (a team may not be in the top 10 every single year but may be there 75% of the time).

The third question would then be, which of the current 'elite' teams may not be there soon, thus opening a spot up.

So the first answer to me is a team that is in the top 10 for multiple weeks of the season in most (defined as roughly 3/4) seasons. Or a team like Notre Dame that consistantly has lots of media exposure regardless of final rankings.

The second answer is roughly 15 teams can be 'Elite' at any given point based on my definition.

The third answer requires a statement of who is currently elite and who might fall off the list.

The current 'Elite' teams are (in no particular order):

Michigan, Ohio State, USC, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Miami, Auburn.

Then there are teams like Nebraska, Notre Dame, Florida State, Penn State and Alabama that get alot of publicity regardless of final rankings.

To me these all could be considered currently Elite.

That being said, I think Nebraska, Penn State and Alabama are on the verge of either being 'definitely Elite' or not 'Elite' at all depending on the success of the programs over the next 2-3 years.

I think the next up and comer is likely either WVU or Clemson. Florida State could move back into Elite status very easily.

For anyone that thinks Rutgers or UConn might be elite soon, it's an uphill battle that will likely never be won. To me, there is just no way a team like Rutgers or UConn could meet my personal definition (which may very well be wrong of course) of what an elite team is. Same with any directional schools in Florida.

josh07039
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, the first question you have to ask is what makes a team 'Elite'?

The second question you have to ask is how many 'Elite' teams can there be? For example, if you say that they are perennial top 10 teams then you really can't have more than say 12 'elite' programs in the NCAA at any given time (a team may not be in the top 10 every single year but may be there 75% of the time).

The third question would then be, which of the current 'elite' teams may not be there soon, thus opening a spot up.

So the first answer to me is a team that is in the top 10 for multiple weeks of the season in most (defined as roughly 3/4) seasons. Or a team like Notre Dame that consistantly has lots of media exposure regardless of final rankings.

The second answer is roughly 15 teams can be 'Elite' at any given point based on my definition.

The third answer requires a statement of who is currently elite and who might fall off the list.

The current 'Elite' teams are (in no particular order):

Michigan, Ohio State, USC, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Miami, Auburn.

Then there are teams like Nebraska, Notre Dame, Florida State, Penn State and Alabama that get alot of publicity regardless of final rankings.

To me these all could be considered currently Elite.

That being said, I think Nebraska, Penn State and Alabama are on the verge of either being 'definitely Elite' or not 'Elite' at all depending on the success of the programs over the next 2-3 years.

I think the next up and comer is likely either WVU or Clemson. Florida State could move back into Elite status very easily.

For anyone that thinks Rutgers or UConn might be elite soon, it's an uphill battle that will likely never be won. To me, there is just no way a team like Rutgers or UConn could meet my personal definition (which may very well be wrong of course) of what an elite team is. Same with any directional schools in Florida.I agree with much of what you said, but I think it is a little ridiculous to say that Rutgers or Uconn will never become elite, I'm not saying I think this will happen, but If Schiano stays, despite Paterno's potential retirement in the next few years, Rutgers could become a perennial powerhouse in 5 years or so. Obviously RU is a far way off, but I am already seeing steps in the right direction. We are already seeing Red shirt freshman, and true sophomores getting ready to take the places of our graduates and Ray Rice. As for Uconn, they came on like Rutgers did last year, I'm unfamiliar with their overall talent, but I'm just going to assume that they disappoint next year, and maybe fall back into mediocrity for the forseeable future, however, I don't know for sure.

bearsfan_51
01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
BYU is the next Elite Program..
Never gonna happen. Too conservative, too mormon, too geographically remote. They had a great run already with Jim McMahon and Steve Young, that's as good as it's ever going to get.

P-L
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, BYU is never going to be elite, but I expect big things from whatever program hires Bronco Mendenhall away from them.

jballa838
01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Never gonna happen. Too conservative, too mormon, too geographically remote. They had a great run already with Jim McMahon and Steve Young, that's as good as it's ever going to get.
I partially agree. Mormonism does play a big role in landing out of state recruits, but as the program continually grows the recruits will not be able to quickly deny the thought of going to BYU. IF BYU makes a BCS bowl, then they will grow and they have a adequate shot.
Yeah, BYU is never going to be elite, but I expect big things from whatever program hires Bronco Mendenhall away from them.
I agree with the 2nd part of this statement. Partially with the first as stated above

bearsfan_51
01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I partially agree. Mormonism does play a big role in landing out of state recruits, but as the program continually grows the recruits will not be able to quickly deny the thought of going to BYU.
It's less the mormonism specifically as it is the extreme conservatism of their policies. I dated a girl (very seriously in fact) who went to BYU and learned a lot about the rules and policies of the school. While that order may appeal to some inner city blacks, I don't think it will ever be enough to recruit strongly on a national level. Most kids don't want to go to college and be told how to act. Not to mention that mormonism never fully accepted blacks until about 30 years ago. Most recruits obviously aren't going to be aware of that, but there is some tension between mormonism and the black community.

Not to mention that Provo is in the middle of nowhere (no offense).

jballa838
01-15-2008, 07:20 PM
It's less the mormonism specifically as it is the extreme conservatism of their policies. I dated a girl (very seriously in fact) who went to BYU and learned a lot about the rules and policies of the school. While that order may appeal to some inner city blacks, I don't think it will ever be enough to recruit strongly on a national level. Most kids don't want to go to college and be told how to act. Not to mention that mormonism never fully accepted blacks until about 30 years ago. Most recruits obviously aren't going to be aware of that, but there is some tension between mormonism and the black community.

Not to mention that Provo is in the middle of nowhere (no offense).
yeah they are extremely strict, and i take no offense to the statement Provo is in the middle of nowhere. It is a small town by east coast standards, but it isnt that bad by utah standards. I live about 35 minutes away and i attended a BYU football game, and it was a weird and unique fan base. The entire stadium except for some small student sections is adults or kids, yet it is still a really loud stadium. And in some places blacks are still looked at as "different people". I have gone to 2 high schools in the past year and they are "accepting" but not really as tolerant. I can sense some racism, but it isnt bad, but it is for sure worse than when i lived in WA.

LonghornsLegend
01-16-2008, 02:38 AM
I wouldnt go as far as to say a program like Illinois will win the big 10 in 2 years...Main reason being its alot harder for a program to win the conference without a conference championship game, or so it seems...For instance in the Big 12 OU and UT can dominate all year, and if it went down to reg season wins and standings one or the other would win most years, but the conference championship gives a chance for the favorite to have an off week

Illinois would have to have a very favorable schedule, where they dont play Michigan or tOSU that year

duckseason
01-16-2008, 04:38 AM
I think the days of truly elite college football programs is over for the most part. Sure we'll still see teams like tOSU and SC and LSU competing at the top during most years, but the gap has closed between elite teams and mid-tier teams. There is just too much talent spread throughout the country, both coaches and players. Every year, you'll have your Kansas and your ASU, and every year, you'll have teams like Cal and Miami that take a step back. It'll just keep going in cycles like that with a few teams maintaining their status at the top for handfuls of years at a time.

I think there are quite a few teams out there who ought to feel as though they are the next big thing. Most programs appear to be on the rise. I expect great competition in college football over the next few years, but can't really point to the "next elite." It's a safe bet to follow the coaches. Where there are great coaches and recruiters, solid seasons usually follow. Not sure there's much more to like about an Illinois as there is to like about a Washington. Both teams are bringing in solid recruits, and both are led by solid coaches. But I don't think either of them is on their way to dominating their respective conferences.

nfrillman
01-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Baylor. I mean it's only a matter of time before a school with a bear mascot becomes elite. It's time for that hole to be filled. Baylor has been covering some spreads recently, look out.

josh07039
01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
I think the days of truly elite college football programs is over for the most part. Sure we'll still see teams like tOSU and SC and LSU competing at the top during most years, but the gap has closed between elite teams and mid-tier teams. There is just too much talent spread throughout the country, both coaches and players. Every year, you'll have your Kansas and your ASU, and every year, you'll have teams like Cal and Miami that take a step back. It'll just keep going in cycles like that with a few teams maintaining their status at the top for handfuls of years at a time.

I think there are quite a few teams out there who ought to feel as though they are the next big thing. Most programs appear to be on the rise. I expect great competition in college football over the next few years, but can't really point to the "next elite." It's a safe bet to follow the coaches. Where there are great coaches and recruiters, solid seasons usually follow. Not sure there's much more to like about an Illinois as there is to like about a Washington. Both teams are bringing in solid recruits, and both are led by solid coaches. But I don't think either of them is on their way to dominating their respective conferences.I think for the most part your right, that the historical programs will largely remain in the elite. However, i think that at this point elite program should mean for the most part perennial top 15 team, which is a lowering of the traditional definition of elite team which was a team that competes for a national championship yearly. So if we adjust the meaning of elite team for the present landscape of college football which has seen a remarkable amount of upsets and overall parrity, then we can potentially have a few teams becoming "elite."

duckseason
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I think for the most part your right, that the historical programs will largely remain in the elite. However, i think that at this point elite program should mean for the most part perennial top 15 team, which is a lowering of the traditional definition of elite team which was a team that competes for a national championship yearly. So if we adjust the meaning of elite team for the present landscape of college football which has seen a remarkable amount of upsets and overall parrity, then we can potentially have a few teams becoming "elite."
Yes I agree, but by that standard, I think there are just too many teams out there that could be considered elite. So many, that the term 'elite' is no longer fitting.

DiG
01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
UVA/MD will go through ups and downs on recruiting. MD has an outside chance. They have a better recruiting base to build around in the DC area, but Friedgen doesn't clean up there as well as he should.

If Ralph could one time find an elite quarterback than MD could make a run at dominating in the ACC. They consistently bring in a good group of elite prospects each year but they have not had a decent QB in a very very long time. Year in and year out it is the position that holds us back.

etk
01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
If Ralph could one time find an elite quarterback than MD could make a run at dominating in the ACC. They consistently bring in a good group of elite prospects each year but they have not had a decent QB in a very very long time. Year in and year out it is the position that holds us back.

You don't say?

josh07039
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes I agree, but by that standard, I think there are just too many teams out there that could be considered elite. So many, that the term 'elite' is no longer fitting.
I think that is not entirely fair, considering there really aren't that many teams that are consistently in the top 15. At most there could be fifteen, which is impossible. At thing at once there rally are about 5 powerhouse/Elite programs that everyone knows is going to be there in the end.

JT Jag
01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
When we talk about elite, we talk about teams that are in the National Championship race year-in, year-out.

USC. Oklahoma. Ohio State.

Those are the only teams that have consistently played at a very high level for a long time.

The SEC does so well because it has many teams every year that have the potential to be elite that year. But two teams in the SEC have the potential to join those teams above soon--- LSU and Florida.

Teams just under the ones listed above: Georgia and Virginia Tech. Both of those teams could be mentioned in the "elite" conversation with just one national title, or otherwise a few more years contending in the BCS. Same with Texas.

It takes a long period of consistent success to join the elite. Mizzou, Kansas and the ilk aren't even close.

kmartin575
02-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm a Mizzou fan and I would love for us to take that next step but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. Maybe if we have another solid season and if we can get over the hump against teams like Oklahoma but I'm still in a wait and see mode.

Although, I think at least for the next few years Missouri should be the most competitive and stable out of all of the big 12 north teams.

DChess
02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
When we talk about elite, we talk about teams that are in the National Championship race year-in, year-out.

USC. Oklahoma. Ohio State.

Those are the only teams that have consistently played at a very high level for a long time.

The SEC does so well because it has many teams every year that have the potential to be elite that year. But two teams in the SEC have the potential to join those teams above soon--- LSU and Florida.

Teams just under the ones listed above: Georgia and Virginia Tech. Both of those teams could be mentioned in the "elite" conversation with just one national title, or otherwise a few more years contending in the BCS. Same with Texas.

It takes a long period of consistent success to join the elite. Mizzou, Kansas and the ilk aren't even close.

you gotta win a bcs game once in a while to be considered elite.

elite= usc, ohio st, texas, lsu amd florida. those are the fab five for me

gonzo1105
02-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Florida State again!!!!

DraftKidWonder
02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
A biased opinion is the University of Kentucky. Our coaching staff is solid and our talent is getting a lot better with every recruiting class.

But a team that is pretty close is Virginia Tech if they aren't already.