PDA

View Full Version : Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, I wanted to know your thoughts about this RB. Forte's stock raised recently and I saw Mike Mayock had him as his #3 senior RB. What do you think about him?

diabsoule
01-13-2008, 12:01 PM
He reminds me of a poor man's Deuce McAllister. He has good straight line speed, very good build, is strong and powerful, can knock people over if he has to. Always keeps his legs going and tends to have a nose for the endzone. I don't know much about his ability to catch out of the backfield. Definitely won't run away from anyone and has some durability concerns.

I consider him a sleeper prospect.

PACKmanN
01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I would compare him to Dorsey Levens. He catches out of the back field, hits the hole hard, a power runner.

Patriots16-0
01-13-2008, 12:48 PM
So, he is strong. Strong in portuguese is... Forte. I think that's coincidence.

Staubach12
01-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Forte has been kind of a late bloomer. His production shot up this year, as his stock has. He's strong, has good strait speed. He's not the most agile guy, but he has a good burst and makes fairly definitive cuts. You may worry a bit about competition, but I don't as much as others. He's a good prospect. Deuce is a good comparison, but he's not quite as bulky as Deuce and I think he has better speed.

BamaFalcon59
01-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Deuce McAlister used to be fast.

adamprez2003
01-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I have him as the number 1 Fullback. That's where I think he'll earn his money. I dont see him as a featured RB unless a team drafts him as a change of pace back

fenikz
01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
i don't think many teams will look at him as a fullback, great between the tackles runner, wears down a defense over the course of a game, can take a simple dive and break it for 60 yards, not top end speed but is explosive and picks up speed quickly once he hits the hole

He kind of reminds me of a more physical Edge

I'm guessing he will go in the 3rd unless he has an amazing or terrible combine, i still personally prefer him to Kevin Smith & Chris Johnson

01-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Forte has shown this year that he does have good hands and can catch it out of the backfield adding yet another dimension to his game. Hes a tweener but I still like him as a change of pace back who I can see being a nice complementary back in a 2-RB system in a couple years.

GET LOOSE
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Forte has shown this year that he does have good hands and can catch it out of the backfield adding yet another dimension to his game. Hes a tweener but I still like him as a change of pace back who I can see being a nice complementary back in a 2-RB system in a couple years.

yea he can be a nice complementry back next to a #1 RB...like lamont jordan was on the jets

JT Jag
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Might fit on the Jags as Maurice Drew's change-of-pace guy for the future.

Drew-Forte, the future one-two punch of the Jags?

P-L
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Why would teams look at him as a FB? He only weighs around 220. Most NFL RB's are at least that big.

DanteXavier
01-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Why would teams look at him as a FB? He only weighs around 220. Most NFL RB's are at least that big.

This is what I had been thinking. He'd have to get to around 230-235 and show a lot of strength at the combine, IMO, to really warant a move to fullback.

adamprez2003
01-14-2008, 10:25 AM
This is what I had been thinking. He'd have to get to around 230-235 and show a lot of strength at the combine, IMO, to really warant a move to fullback.

I'm thinking he's this year's version of Brian Leonard

diabsoule
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM

That's one comparison I don't buy into that much.

fenikz
01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I think people are making too much of his blocking, while it makes him a complete back it shouldn't force him to be a FB, it's not like he was being asked to lead block for someone, he is just good at picking up blitzes and chip blocking, I'm sticking with my Edge comparison, not a young Edge but the one the Cardinals have right now

nhlkdog411
01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
He doesn't really compare to leonard at all. Leonard was bigger and a better athlete, while Forte has waaaaayyy better vision and awareness/skill at runningback. Leonard needs to actually play running back for a while in order to learn the position better.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm not really seeing why anyone would convert him to a FB. He has a good burst and can fight his way through tackles. Honestly he doesn't seem to run over people a whole lot (the type of strength that would say FB blocking power, IE Greg Jones)...but doesn't go down in a group of people immediately and can bounce off and break a run. Good cuts, breakaway speed seems adequate. I dunno, looks like an RB to me. Not sure why everyone wants to convert all the guys who can actually run between the tackles and pass block before they get to the NFL into FBs

fenikz
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm not really seeing why anyone would convert him to a FB. He has a good burst and can fight his way through tackles. Honestly he doesn't seem to run over people a whole lot (the type of strength that would say FB blocking power, IE Greg Jones)...but doesn't go down in a group of people immediately and can bounce off and break a run. Good cuts, breakaway speed seems adequate. I dunno, looks like an RB to me. Not sure why everyone wants to convert all the guys who can actually run between the tackles and pass block before they get to the NFL into FBs

very true, people draft RB's that take years to teach proper blocking techniques and to run in a pro style offense, but turn people who are can into FB's

energizerbunny
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Because Scott does? hahaha

He is a good prospect and should be a good late rounder but he is nothing like Leonard.

adamprez2003
01-14-2008, 08:24 PM

He is a good prospect and should be a good late rounder but he is nothing like Leonard.

What are you talking about? Scott has him as a RB. I'm projecting him as a Fullback

adamprez2003
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM

Now I see. Just read the breakdown. LOL. Guess great minds think alike. lol