PDA

View Full Version : My Jet's Mock.....Includes Vilma Trade

WW85
01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Difficult to do a Mock without Free Agency yet, but these are players that I fell would fit well with the Jet's.

Vilma is traded to KC for their 3rd Rd Pick.

Rd 1) Chris Long DE, VA........Chris may fall if a QB is drafted ahead of us and Oakland takes DMC. (1 Dorsey, 2) J Long, 3) DMC, 4) Ryan 5) Clady 6) C Long)I believe Matt Ryan's stock will rise and ATL would be the likely choice.

Rd 2) Chris Williams OT, Vandy......enough said Jet's O-line is in shambles.(At least RT & LG) With Williams added a big help. Tony Wise leaving was a good move too.

Rd 3a) J Leman, ILB Illinois.......Had a big game against OSU and quiet game in the Rose Bowl. I really like Leman, if he makes it past New England at the end of Rd 2.

Rd 3b) Cliff Avril DE/OLB, Purdue.......great candidate for OLB in the 3-4, could be a surprise player.

Rd 4) Cory Boyd RB, SC..........Jet's get in on the great class of RBs in 08's draft, I have never seen so much depth at the RB position. Boyd will be a better pro than college player....all-round back, catches, blocks & runs hard. Reminds me of a Brian Westbrook type player.

Rd 5) Shannon Tevega OG, UCLA........Fell into Rd 5, but guards seem to drop. Big body that can help depth on the line, may eventually start.

Rd 6) Marcus Smith WR, New Mexico.........Big receiver with good speed, should have gone earlier, falls due to lack of pub in New Mexico

Rd 7a) Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose St.....JUCO transfer, intercept machine.

Rd 7b)(Trade of Bollinger to Minn.) Ricky Santos, QB, New Hampshire........Very Productive....worth a shot.

Crickett
01-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Difficult to do a Mock without Free Agency yet, but these are players that I fell would fit well with the Jet's.

Vilma is traded to KC for their 3rd Rd Pick.

Rd 1) Chris Long DE, VA........Chris may fall if a QB is drafted ahead of us and Oakland takes DMC. (1 Dorsey, 2) J Long, 3) DMC, 4) Ryan 5) Clady 6) C Long)I believe Matt Ryan's stock will rise and ATL would be the likely choice.

Rd 2) Chris Williams OT, Vandy......enough said Jet's O-line is in shambles.(At least RT & LG) With Williams added a big help. Tony Wise leaving was a good move too.

Rd 3a) J Leman, ILB Illinois.......Had a big game against OSU and quiet game in the Rose Bowl. I really like Leman, if he makes it past New England at the end of Rd 2.

Rd 3b) Cliff Avril DE/OLB, Purdue.......great candidate for OLB in the 3-4, could be a surprise player.

Rd 4) Cory Boyd RB, SC..........Jet's get in on the great class of RBs in 08's draft, I have never seen so much depth at the RB position. Boyd will be a better pro than college player....all-round back, catches, blocks & runs hard. Reminds me of a Brian Westbrook type player.

Rd 5) Shannon Tevega OG, UCLA........Fell into Rd 5, but guards seem to drop. Big body that can help depth on the line, may eventually start.

Rd 6) Marcus Smith WR, New Mexico.........Big receiver with good speed, should have gone earlier, falls due to lack of pub in New Mexico

Rd 7a) Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose St.....JUCO transfer, intercept machine.

Rd 7b)(Trade of Bollinger to Minn.) Ricky Santos, QB, New Hampshire........Very Productive....worth a shot.

If this is the way the draft went, I would cry. An undersized 3-4 DE at #6 for an already undersized d-line and trading Vilma for a THIRD ROUND PICK..... so that the Jets can draft...... a middle linebacker.

thetedginnshow
01-15-2008, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't doubt that Long could gain a few pounds and still be terrific. I wouldn't mind him at all. But of course, I'd doubt that he'd fall anyway.

GET LOOSE
01-16-2008, 04:30 PM
wow...vilma for a third..i would committ suicide if they did that...if we dont get a 1st its a terrible trade

gangGREENinsider
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
wow...vilma for a third..i would committ suicide if they did that...if we dont get a 1st its a terrible trade

No one's going to trade a 1st for a miscast LB coming off a major knee injury. I'd take a 3rd for Vilma. He's very replaceable.

BroadwayJoe10
01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
No one's going to trade a 1st for a miscast LB coming off a major knee injury. I'd take a 3rd for Vilma. He's very replaceable.

Well, he won't be misplaced if the team drafting him utilizes a 4-3. I will agree with you that his value won't be high if there is complications with his knee, but when we finally find out exactly what it is than we can make a better assesment. If it's a regular procedure that allows vilma to play at 100% this year than his value will be a 1st rounder again, or a high second in this draft, which could end up being like a first rounder in most drafts do to our drafts depth. You also have to take into consideration is he going to leave? If he doesn't have a good year this year than we obviously would want to trade him, but by that point we won't have the ability to trade him and he will be a FA and he'll leave. I think if we have no intentions of resigning him than trading him is the only option.

GET LOOSE
01-16-2008, 11:09 PM
a 3rd is a terrible trade for Vilma even if he is coming of a knee injury...he will come back fine and if we can only get a 3rd out of it then we would be dum to trade it...and very replacable...ummmm not really..you will not find a leader like a Vilma, Lewis, and Urlacher everyday.

BroadwayJoe10
01-17-2008, 12:06 AM
a 3rd is a terrible trade for Vilma even if he is coming of a knee injury...he will come back fine and if we can only get a 3rd out of it then we would be dum to trade it...and very replacable...ummmm not really..you will not find a leader like a Vilma, Lewis, and Urlacher everyday.

You have to look at it this way; what would you rather have A) An ineffective player on our defense for one year who will than not sign with us and give us nothing in return or B) A 3rd round draft pick. You are assuming that vilma is going to resign with us; why would he resign with us so he can play in a scheme that he is poorly fit for?? Yes, Vilma is a leader, but how good is a leader if he isn't even in the top 5 players on our defense? You can say that he'll have a great year next to harris, but what if he doesn't? Than we have a year with a ILB who isn't effective and will leave us with nothing.

Also, I am assuming that he will come back 100% healthy, but if he's not than that definately complicates things.

tishdog
01-17-2008, 05:44 AM
You have to look at it this way; what would you rather have A) An ineffective player on our defense for one year who will than not sign with us and give us nothing in return or B) A 3rd round draft pick. You are assuming that vilma is going to resign with us; why would he resign with us so he can play in a scheme that he is poorly fit for?? Yes, Vilma is a leader, but how good is a leader if he isn't even in the top 5 players on our defense? You can say that he'll have a great year next to harris, but what if he doesn't? Than we have a year with a ILB who isn't effective and will leave us with nothing.

Also, I am assuming that he will come back 100% healthy, but if he's not than that definately complicates things.
I'm willing to take the risk of letting him stay. The reward is so high if he plays well and so what if he hits the open market next year, then atleast we will know we tried.

BroadwayJoe10
01-17-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm willing to take the risk of letting him stay. The reward is so high if he plays well and so what if he hits the open market next year, then atleast we will know we tried.

How is the reward so high? Yes, i love vilma and he had a fantastic freshman year, but he was never this absoutely elite LB and this is just the wrong scheme for him. Why wouldn't we want to get something for him if he is going to leave anyways. I think if everyone steps back and replaces vilma with a noname player and looks at the situation that way it might be a little easier to see.

GET LOOSE
01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
but thats just the thing..vilma has said he wants to stay a jet. he has said he is willing to get better at the 3-4 then just leave...and he still had 115 tackles even in a defense he does not do so well in...Vilma is just to good to give up on and we would be making a huge mistake

TimD
01-17-2008, 10:24 AM
If this happens then I'll break down in tears. I like Lemon and Long but I don't think we should draft them. Horrible Jets Mock

BroadwayJoe10
01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
but thats just the thing..vilma has said he wants to stay a jet. he has said he is willing to get better at the 3-4 then just leave...and he still had 115 tackles even in a defense he does not do so well in...Vilma is just to good to give up on and we would be making a huge mistake

That's the thing though, is he honestly going to come out while he is under contract and say "no i dont want to be a jet, i hate this stupid scheme." Of course hes not, he is very media savy and there have been a lot of rumors of his "friends" saying he doesn't like the system and wants out. I always say that when theres a lot of smoke theres some sort of fire; however the rumors could all be false and we could give him a chance and theres a possibility he could succeed, which would be fantastic for us. I just have a hard time believing that even though he couldn't grasp it in his first 2 years he's gonna have a breakthrough in his 3rd; i dont see any way that he's just going to learn to shed blockers better in this offseason.

Total tackles is a tough way to gauge a LB unless you know how many of them were for 4 yards or less or TFL. I love vilma as much as the next guy, but if we can get good value, which would allow us to get players who fit the scheme better than i'm all for it.

Number 10
03-03-2008, 08:30 AM