PDA

View Full Version : Applewhite Back to Texas?

Gchu83
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
"Former Texas quarterback Major Applewhite has been contacted about joining the Longhorns' coaching staff and is expected to accept an offer this week."

Interesting that he'd be taking a demotion from OC to RBs coach. I've heard that Bama/Saban isn't guaranteeing Major anything in terms of a future at Alabama. Also wouldn't be suprised if Mack/UT is laying down the foundation for the future.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5454230.html

someone447
01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
I hope so, he got screwed over by Mack Brown when he was playing there. The least he can do is make it up to him by grooming him to succeed him at Texas.

KCJ58
01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
i was hoping he would get the Houston HC job

LonghornsLegend
01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
I hope so, he got screwed over by Mack Brown when he was playing there. The least he can do is make it up to him by grooming him to succeed him at Texas.

He had to bail that loser Chris Simms out so many times, he should of never lost his job to him...still upsets me to this day

Be nice to see him come back to UT, didnt think he would be a rb coach though

JT Jag
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Applewhite would be making a huge career mistake if he takes a job as a runningbacks coach.

He knows as much about runningbacks as I do. He's a QB/Wide Receivers guy through-and-through

someone447
01-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Applewhite would be making a huge career mistake if he takes a job as a runningbacks coach.

He knows as much about runningbacks as I do. He's a QB/Wide Receivers guy through-and-through

That is completely false. His biggest advantage was that he was a student of the game. Coaches switch to coaching different positions quite often.

diabsoule
01-16-2008, 12:54 AM
I was hoping he was going to come to LSU when we were looking for an OC

SuperKevin
01-16-2008, 02:16 AM
This guy changes jobs like every year.

Gchu83
01-16-2008, 11:51 PM

Did you know that Mike Tomlin was a WR in college, coached DBs in the pros, and then went from DC to HC of the Steelers?

Coaches regularly coach positions different from their own, it happens all the time.

roidrunner
01-17-2008, 12:41 AM
its a demotion but lets face it when the Alma matter calls , you usually have to answer. huggins said it best " you can not turn away your alma matter away more than once."

JT Jag
01-17-2008, 05:39 PM

He knows as much about runningbacks as I do. He's a QB/Wide Receivers guy through-and-throughDid you know that Mike Tomlin was a WR in college, coached DBs in the pros, and then went from DC to HC of the Steelers?

Coaches regularly coach positions different from their own, it happens all the time.Well my apologies. I'm just skeptical about the depth of knowledge of a guy who got his career jump-started by running a spread offense when it comes to the running game.

LonghornsLegend
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
He'll be the OC whenever Greg Davis gets a HC job somewhere else, so right now he will be learning as much as he can about every position in the offense...Most think Mack Brown will coach another 7-8 years, maybe more, but Major will be his successor whenever that happens...He made the move to be involved in his alma mater now so he can learn as much as possible from Mack

He's a smart guy, hopefully he learns alot about the recruiting side of the game

Gchu83
01-23-2008, 03:10 PM
He's a smart guy, hopefully he learns alot about the recruiting side of the game

Applewhite helped put together the 2nd best 2008 recruiting class at Bama. He's definitely one of the most talented young coaches in the nation and you have to love his potential as a coach and a recruiter (especially in Texas).

neko4
01-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Didnt he coach at Syracuse too? I always kinda liked Applewhite, he has huge potential as a coach

Gchu83
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Didnt he coach at Syracuse too? I always kinda liked Applewhite, he has huge potential as a coach

He went from a graduate assistant at UT to Quarterbacks Coach at Syracuse to Offensive Coordinator at Rice to Offensive Coordinator at Bama to Assistant Head Coach/RBs Coach back at UT.

Brent
01-26-2008, 11:40 AM
He's probably going to replace Mack Brown in the not too distant future.

Texas Homer
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
very good news for Texas;)

Mr. Stiller
01-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Did you know that Mike Tomlin was a WR in college, coached DBs in the pros, and then went from DC to HC of the Steelers?

Coaches regularly coach positions different from their own, it happens all the time.

I'm pretty sure Tomlin was the WR coach at William and Mary (His alma mater), then a DB coach in Cincinnati, then getting hired by Dungy for DB's in Tampa Bay, DC in Minny, then HC of the Steelers.