PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Colts Free Agency

MaxV
01-15-2008, 02:54 PM
The offseason for the Colts has already began:

Colts re-signed LB Tyjuan Hagler.

Hagler, who has proven a reliable linebacker when not injured, gets a one-year, $1.417 million dollar deal. He was due to be a restricted free agent this offseason after playing the first three years of his 2005 rookie contract.

Colts signed WR Courtney Roby.

Roby, a third-round pick out of Indiana in 2005, showed little in two seasons with the Titans and didn't make an appearance in 2007. The Colts also signed LB Kyle Shotwell, DE J.J. Milan, TE Zac Herold and OL Tala Esera.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPORTS03/801150376/1247/SPORTS

Time to see what google can dig up on these guys.

Geo
01-16-2008, 03:45 AM
My thoughts:

Unrestricted free agents
DE Josh Thomas WALK
The guy was worth his rookie contract, but I wouldn't be crazy about re-signing him. Best of luck to you, big guy.

DT Dan Klecko RE-SIGN
I heart Klecko, plus he's should get more snaps at tackle as he's a disruptive guy on the field. I wonder if he'll make it though.

G Ryan Lilja WALK
G Jake Scott WALK
You can replace guards. Best of luck to ya on the free agent market, boys.

LB Rocky Boiman RE-SIGN?
Veteran linebacker with experience in the defense and at SAM in particularly, though he hasn't displaced either Rob Morris or Tyjuan Hagler. He contributes to special teams though, finishing the year with 11 solo ST tackles, third best behind Darrell Reid (21) and Tim Jennings (12). Granted, Dante Hughes had 10 in only 9 games. But I guess I'd like to see the 6' 4" ginger back. Hmm, I wonder what he could do lined up at defensive end and asked only to rush the passer.

TE Dallas Clark FRANCHISE TAG ($4.37M), TRADE?
I'd rather use the cheaper transition tag, but then another team could sign him to an offer sheet and the Colts would get no compensation. If they could get a mid-to-late 1st/early-2nd for him in a trade, that would be great (come on Minny, make it happen). Otherwise, the Colts have Clark for one more year as a weapon in their potent offense.

TE Mike Seidman RE-SIGN?
The Colts obviously liked this guy enough to sign him to a vet minimum last offseason, but he went on IR before the season started. He'll be almost two full years removed from a torn ACL injury (October 05), so maybe we should see what he could do this preseason and if he can make a case for a roster spot.

WR Aaron Moorehead WALK
I think it's time for both parties to finally part ways.

Restricted free agents
C/G Dylan Gandy LOW TENDER ($927K)
Definitely bring Gandy back, he's the back-up center and has starting experience at left guard. Strong candidate to replace Lilja for 08. I think the low tender is fine, he's won't be in high demand I imagine. A second round tender would cover the Colts' bases from potential sabotage, I suppose.

DT Darrell Reid SECOND ROUND TENDER ($1.417M)
Best special teams player in 2007 probably, and he's a servicable guy in defensive tackle rotation, so he will definitely be kept for 08. The low tender means no compensation for the Colts, given that Reid was an undrafted free agent the team picked up, if he signs an offer sheet from another team. To have to match another potential deal, even though it's unlikely the poison pill trick will be used again, it's probably just not worth it.

LB Tyjuan Hagler SECOND ROUND TENDER ($1.417M) - ALREADY SIGNED
I think we know why Hagler didn't crack the starting line-up earlier, he could be better in coverage. Maybe he improves after having starting experience under his belt this season, but he's now going into his fourth and final year of his rookie contract. Still, he's a tackling machine who does a good job in the front seven. He'll likely walk in 2009, but definitely make sure he's there in 2008 with a second round tender (?), as a low tender is too risky given that Hagler was a 5th round pick.

S Matt Giordano LOW TENDER ($927K)
Giordano was a 4th round pick, it might be tempting to bait him out there with a low tender. But he's Bob Sanders #1 back-up at the moment, and the coaching staff likes him on the field with Sanders and Bethea in their dime defense - he caught two interceptions last year, he proved them right. I'd let him walk after 08 though, especially given worry about potential concussion issues. Giordano is a pretty quick guy though.

TE Bryan Fletcher LOW TENDER ($927K)
Fletch is very good depth who has seen the field in his time with the Colts, thanks to injuries to Utecht and Clark, and despite being more of a receiving tight end is a very willing blocker. He knows the offense and isn't afraid to tell Peyton if he sees something on the field that he thinks will work. Fletch stepped up in the San Diego game in the regular season, I recall. Taking a chance with the low tender, as again he wouldn't deliver a draft pick in compensation, but I doubt anyone will sign him to a deal.

TE Ben Utecht SECOND ROUND TENDER ($1.417M)
He's not durable and he's prone to fumble, but he's actually really good in terms of a pass blocking tight end and can do a decent job receiving. He's a solid guy the Colts have developed, and it's not as though the team has developed a successor, so let's bring Utecht back for one more season. If a team is willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him, which I think is doubtful, than so be it.

Exclusive rights free agents
DT Ed Johnson SIGN
Talk about a no-brainer. Ed should get a pay raise, though maybe not a full-fledged extension just yet. One more year to prove the shenanigans are in the past. If he does do that, then the Colts should go Philadelphia Eagles-style and sign him to a long-term deal that's good for the team in the long-run but also pays Big Ed well.

WR Craphonso Thorpe WALK
I think the Colts can part ways, but definitely keep Cro's number on speed dial. Maybe bring him in the preseason so he can show his wares and give the Colts a receiver to see snaps?

New deals
QB Peyton Manning
WR Marvin Harrison
Both need to sign new deals, as their back-loaded years have arrived. Maybe a one-year deal for Marvin, as he'll break the records in 08 and try to win one more championship with a great run, then maybe consider retiring or coming back for 09 on another one-year. I'm not going to tell the man to retire, even if I secretly keep to myself that he's a postseason fraud, because he's done a great deal for this franchise and is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Plus I think he'll be in full health next season, though the question is if he'll still be as lightning-quick or more of a possession receiver.

Cut/trade
DT Anthony "Booger" McFarland
Ideally, I'd like to see McFarland stay. But given the cap and his high 08 salary in the last year of his curret contract, plus the Colts having much better depth at defensive tackle than when he arrived, I think it's farewell to everyone's favorite Booger. If the Colts could get a late round pick for him, likely from another Tampa 2 team, that would be great.

RB Clifton Dawson
Not a definite, although he just doesn't have the quickness, unfortunately. I think he could make an excellent pass protector and short-yardage back, perhaps. If he's in the game, call more north-south plays, that suits his game more. Maybe stash him on the practice squad?

RB Kenton "Stoniest of the Stone Hands" Keith
Good bye forever.

RCAChainGang
01-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Colts won't trade Clark IMO. I also think Clark likes Indy. I think he's wanting to come back for sure. I think Clark is key to our offense and I would hate to see him traded...

I also lie the idea of Bryan Fletcher returning.

Of course I will be attacked for this haha, but I like Kenton Keith in our offense.

I want to see Boiman back also.

As of Lilja and Gandy I would like to walk um...

Geo
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't doubt that Clark wants to stay in Indy and play with the Colts for his career, however his agent is asking for too much. And I don't necessarily blame him for trying to get the most for his client, who has had some durability and concussion concerns in just about every season of his career thus far. I would like to see Clark back, but not at the price he's likely to garner, so I'm fine with trading him or even letting him walk in either 2009 or 2010.

Re-signing Reggie Wayne was key, and drafting Anthony Gonzalez is going to create similar match-ups for the Colts as he can also line-up anywhere on the field. We're seeing more and more receiving tight ends come out of college, it will be like letting Edgerrin James go because money needs to be invested elsewhere. That's how I view it, at least.

I wonder if Roy Hall will get some looks at tight end similar to Clark. I heart Hall, he's going to be a beast.

MaxV
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree with most of what you're saying Geo, except for offering 2nd round tenders to Giordano and Reid. I like both of these guys, but they are still only backups.

I think we can retain them for much less.

Geo
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I think Giordano could draw some interest in the league, with the emphasis we see on safety play nowadays. But you're right, I was being too cautious. That's a total $1M that could be used elsewhere.

MaxV
01-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Also, as much as we are pissed at Kenton Keith, he's probably coming back next season.

He still averaged 4.4 ypc in the regular season, which is impressive for a backup RB.

Geo
01-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Geo's Top 5 Goals of the Offseason:
(in no particular order)
1. Be able to run the ball consistently and with success, including in the red zone #1: Offensive line
The Colts found some success in running the ball in 2006, moreso in the second halves of games against 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, and it helped them win a Super Bowl. They carried it into this season and were great, averaging 142 rushing yards per game for the first 6 games of the season or so. Unfortunately the run-blocking took a major nose dive during halftime of the Patriots game, and the team was pathetic. For crying out loud, the abysmal Raiders defensive line abused them and shut down the running game.

Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott can walk in free agency, the Colts need to upgrade at guard. Right tackle Ryan Diem fell off last year and is a constant source of costly penalties (the Chargers game no different), but let's give him one more season to hopefully bounce back as he's signed to a big contract anyways. My thought is to have Michael Toudouze at left guard and Corey Hilliard at right guard for a mammoth offensive line that will be 6' 5"-plus except for All-Pro center Jeff Saturday. Those two guys are capable of playing tackle, but slide them inside to not only give Manning time to make his throws, but also improve the run-blocking.

2. Be able to run the ball consistently and with success, including in the red zone #2: Two-back attack
Too much is placed on Joseph Addai, because the Colts continue a long-standing trend of having a superstar back followed by fodder other teams wouldn't even consider of having on their roster. This needs to end as a two-back attack keeps the running game fresh through a grueling season and an intense postseason, as well as protect the offense should one back go down to injury (ex. Laurence Maroney & Sammy Morris; LaDainian Tomlinson, Michael Turner, & Darren Sproles). We know what Manning will deliver, the defense is improved, now it's down to improving the running game and special teams to be as serious as a championship contender as possible for 08 and beyond. Bill Polian pointed that with emphasis and regret that this team's inability to run in the red zone/goal-line cost them a shot at repeating, and has cost them in previous years, so hopefully it's not a hollow remark this offseason as opposed to past offseasons. Not paying too much for a back-up is acceptable, that's completely understandable, but use the Draft or at least have a better effort to bring in talented depth which unfortunately hasn't been the case for sometime. Thankfully this year's runningback draft class is the best in recent memory, hopefully the Colts take advantage of that fortunate development.

3. Find Dallas Clark's eventual replacement, and maybe another receiver depending on Marvin Harrison
Dallas Clark is a very, very good tight end/slot receiver (really, he's probably 70-30 in favor of slot receiver, and I may be generous in that estimation). However he's not a great tight end, and as Polian says, the Colts hang onto the great players as opposed to the very good ones. This team let Mike Peterson and Marcus Washington leave in free agency, for crying out loud. Edgerrin James is the best runningback in the history of the great Colts franchise and he's a future Hall of Famer, but tough decisions had to be made with the salary cap and he was allowed to sign a more lucrative deal than the Colts could offer. For me, the Colts absolutely made the right decision in signing Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders long-term insead of Clark.

There's no doubt DC can do great things and is coming off a career season, but he also lead the league in drops (which was very noticeable this season) and has bouts with stone hands every so often unfortunately. Durability and concussion issues spring up just about every season and additionally have reared their heads in some postseasons to the great detriment of the Colts, and his run-blocking can be an up-and-down affair depending on Clark. I'll take something of a chance with Bob Sanders, a great defensive player in the league, but not Clark. The Colts have other receiving threats they can count on, including 2007 1st round pick Anthony Gonzalez who can attack from the slot as well as either outside receiver position, and the team should focus on developing another receiving tight end for the 2009 or 2010 season as they once did with Clark when Marcus Pollard was the entrenched starter. Hopefully Clark helps the team win another championship, that would be fantastic, but I think afterwards he might be wearing a new uniform like Edge experienced and I'll wish the best for him also.

As for another wide receiver, I think the 08 core looks to go five deep - Reggie Wayne (#1), Marvin Harrison, Anthony Gonzalez, Devin Aromashodu, Roy Hall - so it's not really a big concern. But it is a concern if Harrison is a concern, I suppose, and how the Colts feel about Aromashodu and Hall. Certainly those two provide better depth than the Colts have had ... probably ever in Peyton Manning's time in Indy. The offseason pick-up of Courtney Roby is an interesting one, I'll be interested to see how he competes for a roster spot up until the start of next season.

4. Find our "Justin Tuck," a #3 pass-rusher to accompany bookends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis
Especially as Freeney is recovering from a Lisfranc injury, who knows if he'll be healthy in time for the start of the season, or healthy to play all of next season. Much like the New York Giants have Justin Tuck alongside vaunted pass-rushers Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan, the Colts could follow suit and it sounds like Polian agrees (even noting the Giants' roster/defense). Raheem Brock is not that man, he's made the transition to effective 3-tech tackle and should stay inside, but I do like 2007 draft pick Keyunta Dawson as the #4 DE/pass-rusher to see some snaps and keep the marque guys fresh. Which is necessary, to be a capable defense throughout the season and postseason hopefully. And could allow to be more experimental in finding ways to deliver pressure on opposing quarterbacks, in an era where the passing game is flourishing a great deal.

5. Continue to improve depth, which also improves special teams
I thought the depth of this team really came on during the season, to keep the team winning. And the special teams played well against the Chargers, I thought, who have a very good special teams unit themselves. There's still room to improve on both ends, so hopefully the scouting department and the front office continue to do a great job of bring in good talent.

MaxV
01-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah Geo, that pretty much covers it all.

Geo
01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
One thing I want to say: athough the Colts' running game needs to improve, the pass-heavy gameplan of the Colts against the Chargers didn't really bother me. Well, I would have liked to see the Colts run the ball 4 straight times on 1st and 9 to try to get the game-winning touchdown, I would have liked Peyton to allow the offensive line/running backs to try and get 9 yards in 4 plays to win the game - similar to how Joseph Addai scored the winning touchdown in the 06 AFCCG against the Patriots. But hey, the passing game was great on the day, though I would have liked to see Peyton take some shots in the end zone than dump off to Addai three times in front of the goal-line (potential deflection/interception again?).

Overall though, I understand the Colts' desire to take advantage of the match-up at hand, and we saw how they passed on the Chargers with much success (the turnovers is what cost them the game, can't turn the ball over). The Patriots do it quite a bit actually, although they don't get criticized for whatever reason. The Packers did it this year also, although they don't have the benefit of the dome to do it in January. When the Pats played the Vikings' league best run defense on MNF in 06, they kept passing on them and scoring touchdowns - that's smart. Heck, I imagine/hope the Colts will do the same in 08 when they play in the Metrodome.

Now that said, we can all agree that the Colts running game can be better, especially compared to the producton of the second-half of 2007. And a two-back will help Joe stay fresh and help the team. Can't go pass-heavy in every game nor every playoff game for that matters, there's only so many 3-4 defenses to play.

Geo
01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Also, as much as we are pissed at Kenton Keith, he's probably coming back next season.

He still averaged 4.4 ypc in the regular season, which is impressive for a backup RB.
The team, and Manning especially, has no confidence in him imo. He constantly screws up what they want to do. He needs to go, I think.

Dom Rhodes put the ball on the ground and had confidence issues, but at least he could play in the offense. Keith can't.

MaxV
01-16-2008, 09:33 PM
I understand what you're saying Geo, but Keith is still pretty cheap and a good runner.

If we can find another good back, we'll be 3 deep at the position.

Geo
01-16-2008, 10:29 PM
You guys are probably right, it's might be more prudent to bring the guy back so that he can compete for a job this summer. Maybe he improves, who knows. I think he might have lost the support of the team already though, we'll see.

That said, if I'm the Colts, I'm bringing in at least two backs in via the Draft and/or free agency to also compete with Keith and Dawson.

Geo
01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Am I the only one who really likes the Courtney Roby signing? I think this guy is going to make a legit case for the roster this season, he wasn't a fit in Norm Chow's offense in Tennessee for whatever reason but we may have hit a sleeper pick-up in the hometown receiver, guys. I think so. And cheaper than when the Colts picked up Brandon Stokley in 2003 on a 2-year/$2.9M deal, if it hopefully pans out. I think I heard that the Colts penned Roby to a 2-year deal also.

Manning makes the weapons around him better anyways, hence why I'm not crazy about breaking the bank anymore. Harrison has earned the right to play for this franchise until he's broken all of the non-Rice records remaining and helps win two more rings for a total of three championships to his name, and Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez are the future. These guys are big gamers who can play against anyone and can line-up anywhere at flanker/split end/slot to attack opposing defenses.

tylerb929
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Am I the only one who really likes the Courtney Roby signing? I think this guy is going to make a legit case for the roster this season, he wasn't a fit in Norm Chow's offense in Tennessee for whatever reason but we may have hit a sleeper pick-up in the hometown receiver, guys. I think so. And cheaper than when the Colts picked up Brandon Stokley in 2003 on a 2-year/$2.9M deal, if it hopefully pans out. I think I heard that the Colts penned Roby to a 2-year deal also.

I went to High School and Middle School with Courtney Roby and I'd love to see the guy succeed. But I think if he has any chance of making a roster spot its going to be as a kick returner. He got drafted in the 3rd round by the Titans because he ran a killer 40, he really wasn't deserving of a 3rd round pick. He did decent as a kick returner and had 1 or 2 really good games as a WR. He could probably come in and compete for the 5th WR spot with Craphonso Thorpe, Aaron Moorehead, and Roy Hall (at this point I don't see him overtaking Harrison, Wayne, Gonzalez, or Aromashodu). His better bet is to unseat T.J. Rushing as our KR, that may get him on the team, because for the first time in a long while we have some good depth at WR and the team likes Thorpe and Halls potential too much.

a-dub83
01-21-2008, 04:15 PM
I just saw the press conference on NFL Network. I've said in the past and I'll say it again, no team in this WORLD!!!! can the beat us if we don't beat ourselves. The peices are in place and I expect another strong Super Bowl run next season. Let's just pray for a healthier team, next time around.

GO COLTS!!!!

wingboy2999
01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Anybody see the headline on ESPN? "Dungy Can't Quit Colts". I'm sure he loves the Brokeback reference when he is so outspoken towards ****.

Geo
01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Nevermind the media hoopla and dumbass Florio (as usual), Coach Dungy is still the head coach and looking to put the best Colts team out there in 08. Good news.

MaxV
01-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Great news. I hope when Dungy does retire, he'll go out as a champion.

MaxV
01-23-2008, 02:25 PM
This probably won't happen, but I would really like for the Colts to give 2007 CFL DPOY and ROY Derek "Cameron" Wake (http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=1217) a tryout.

He had 72 tackles and 16 sacks last year.

He's an undersized DE (6'-3" 241), but has good pass-rushing skills. Might be a good pass-rush specialist for us.

Geo
01-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Safety Bob Sanders will sit out this year's Pro Bowl. (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hH6hG4YLfijSVK17Rd1ZUCSETsBg)

Speaking of the Pro Bowl, I wonder if Tomlinson sits out given his knee sprain. If he does bow out, that makes Joseph Addai the starter I would think. Which would be cool.

Good mention of Wake, Max. Interesting that the Giants were interested in him before this year.

TitanHope
01-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Roby was showing major strides and improvements in training camp last year, but he was involved in a nasty hit by SS Donnie Nickey. Roby caught a pass, turned up field, and was "neck-tackled" by Nickey. You may remember this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLad4svAKc0) After that, Roby stopped improving and was cut before the season. Personally, I liked Roby and had high hopes for him. But unfortunately he couldn't make the final roster. I'm glad he was picked up by another team, and hope he has success.

tylerb929
01-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Hopefully playing for the team he grew up rooting for in his hometown around his friends and family gives him the extra incentive he needs to step up and play at the NFL level.

MaxV
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I see that Lions' fans are discussing the possibility of Detroit releasing Shaun Rogers this year.

Some of you may already read my posts regarding Shaun Rogers. I wanted the Colts to draft him in 2001 instead of Idrees Bashir. I've always been very high on him. I think he might just be the most talented DT in the NFL.

Unfortunately, he is also lazy and overweight.

Still, if the price is right (it probably won't be), I'd LOVE for the Colts to sign him.

tylerb929
01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
I see that Lions' fans are discussing the possibility of Detroit releasing Shaun Rogers this year.

Some of you may already read my posts regarding Shaun Rogers. I wanted the Colts to draft him in 2001 instead of Idrees Bashir. I've always been very high on him. I think he might just be the most talented DT in the NFL.

Unfortunately, he is also lazy and overweight.

Still, if the price is right (it probably won't be), I'd LOVE for the Colts to sign him.

I'll pass on the over weight, 340+ pound DT with health issues, sounds like Corey Simon part 2. I don't think he really fits our needs either, we need someone who can penetrate gaps.

MaxV
01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
I'll pass on the over weight, 340+ pound DT with health issues, sounds like Corey Simon part 2. I don't think he really fits our needs either, we need someone who can penetrate gaps.

Rogers isn't your average 340+ pound DT, he is acctually a pretty damn good pass-rusher (7 sacks in '07), WHEN HE'S MOTIVATED.

This is exactly why I believe he is the most talented DT in the NFL. HUGE DT with pass-rushing skills and as good of a FG blocker as there is in the NFL.

Did you know he can do a 360 dunk?

Here's what my opinion on Shaun Rogers:

Every year he has been in the NFL, his team has done nothing but lose. It's VERY difficult to continue to stay motivated under those kinds of conditions.

I honestly believe that if he goes to a good, competetive team (like Indy), he could get motivated and DOMINATE.

Dam8610
01-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Rogers isn't your average 340+ pound DT, he is acctually a pretty damn good pass-rusher (7 sacks in '07), WHEN HE'S MOTIVATED.

This is exactly why I believe he is the most talented DT in the NFL. HUGE DT with pass-rushing skills and as good of a FG blocker as there is in the NFL.

Did you know he can do a 360 dunk?

Here's what my opinion on Shaun Rogers:

Every year he has been in the NFL, his team has done nothing but lose. It's VERY difficult to continue to stay motivated under those kinds of conditions.

I honestly believe that if he goes to a good, competetive team (like Indy), he could get motivated and DOMINATE.

The question is, given his recent history of not being in game shape, and the Colts' recent history of testing the waters of the FA market with a DT in Corey Simon, will Polian and co. feel that he's worth the risk (that is if he can be afforded)?

Geo
01-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Rogers in the defense? Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Not that I'm sure it would work, but who knows.

One thing I'd say, I'm not against bringing in a free agent/ veteran with the right contract. Maybe include incentives, although the problem is it would probably have to be a one-year deal for the player in question to agree (see Randy Moss and the Patriots), so it's a short-term fix barring a long-term deal being reached. And how confident are you to invest in someone long-term that you've only had for one year.

But hey, if a guy wants to join one of the best organizations in football, to try and finally win a ring and/or boost his stock for free agency the next year, that's an advantage the Colts have in their disposal that they might use.

Although I sort of doubt they do, the Colts aren't very crafty when it comes to the Draft and free agency. They scout college prospects incredibly well though, and do a good job of managing the cap.

RCAChainGang
01-27-2008, 02:51 PM
yay! I was worried about that.

RCAChainGang
01-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I just saw the press conference on NFL Network. I've said in the past and I'll say it again, no team in this WORLD!!!! can the beat us if we don't beat ourselves. The peices are in place and I expect another strong Super Bowl run next season. Let's just pray for a healthier team, next time around.

GO COLTS!!!!

AMEN GO COLTS!!!

Geo
02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Something I realized not too long ago, another reason to let Scott and Lilja walk: 2009 compensatory picks. These guys are essentially the only chances the Colts have at comp picks next year.

They might not be high comp picks, one could say, and they could be right. The Colts received only a 6th round comp pick for Rick DeMulling.

And that pick was used to select Antoine Bethea.

tylerb929
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Something I realized not too long ago, another reason to let Scott and Lilja walk: 2009 compensatory picks. These guys are essentially the only chances the Colts have at comp picks next year.

They might not be high comp picks, one could say, and they could be right. The Colts received only a 6th round comp pick for Rick DeMulling.

And that pick was used to select Antoine Bethea.

Good call, hopefully we have someone on the roster who can fill in then. Maybe Gandy and Johnson could fill in the guard spots.

indyfan1985
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I for one would LOVE to see this happen if and ONLY if we could get a mid to high 2nd rounder for him. That way we could probably grab DT Pat Sims AND OG Roy Shuening in the 2nd, and then later draft a RB like Matt Forte. That's just my dream scenario. Our DT position is actually not as good as people think. Yeah Ed Johnson had a decent year for us, but other than him, our DTs arent much to boast about. I would much rather have Raheem Brock in the rotation at DE than at DT. That way we wouldnt need to draft a DE since we would already have Dawson and Brock as our rotational guys. Pat Sims would provide us a big push and would open more things up for our DEs. And as far as replacing Clark, we can draft a TE to replace him. We would just need to go offensive heavy in the draft getting WRs and TEs. What do you think?

Dam8610
02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
A couple of questions:

1) Who do you have as the Colts' starting TE in 2008 in that scenario?
2) Why do you view OG as that important of a need?

Geo
02-07-2008, 01:04 AM
First things first, the most important thing is to use the franchise tag on Clark. $4.552M isn't cheap, but I think it's acceptable. The Colts have invested time and money in Clark, they need to reap the benefits for at least one more season (or reacquire in a trade). Especially when the team is in full-on championship contention mode right now, don't forget Clark led the NFL in postseason receiving yardage (317) in the 2006 run. The Colts couldn't count on Harrison before in the postseason, and he's only a year older now.

But if the right trade offer comes along, I would seriously consider it and hope the Colts will. And maybe the Colts tag Clark next year too, with the major purpose of trading him for a pick from a team that has a long-term deal with Clark agreed upon. Remember, if he leaves in free agency and signs a deal - even a big deal - with another team, the most the Colts can get in return is a 3rd round comp pick.

Though to be honest, I've got the sinking feeling in my stomach that the Colts are going to sign Clark to an obscene contract. Ugh, I really hope not, but that's the feeling I have, I think Irsay and Polian are fond of Clark to a fault. Manning can make any legit receiving tight end prospect look good, who can most likely be a better blocker and probably have more consistent hands. If not another prospect to develop, I would consider trading for Jeremy Shockey, if the Giants are willing to part ways and the Colts sought an ideal vet.

indyfan1985
02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
First things first, the most important thing is to use the franchise tag on Clark. $4.552M isn't cheap, but I think it's acceptable. The Colts have invested time and money in Clark, they need to reap the benefits for at least one more season (or reacquire in a trade). Especially when the team is in full-on championship contention mode right now, don't forget Clark led the NFL in postseason receiving yardage (317) in the 2006 run. The Colts couldn't count on Harrison before in the postseason, and he's only a year older now.

But if the right trade offer comes along, I would seriously consider it and hope the Colts will. And maybe the Colts tag Clark next year too, with the major purpose of trading him for a pick from a team that has a long-term deal with Clark agreed upon. Remember, if he leaves in free agency and signs a deal - even a big deal - with another team, the most the Colts can get in return is a 3rd round comp pick.

Though to be honest, I've got the sinking feeling in my stomach that the Colts are going to sign Clark to an obscene contract. Ugh, I really hope not, but that's the feeling I have, I think Irsay and Polian are fond of Clark to a fault. Manning can make any legit receiving tight end prospect look good, who can very easily be a better blocker and goodness knows can't have more inconsistent hands. If not aother prospect to develop, I'd rather trade for Jeremy Shockey, if the Giants are willing to part ways and the Colts sought an ideal vet.

Yeah I completely agree with you. I sure hope they dont give Clark a big long term deal. I dont know how they would have the money for it since they have so many high paid players. Thats why they can never go out and get a few guys in FA. Jeremy Shockey, while can be outspoken sometimes, is actually a better TE than Clark when healthy.

Geo
02-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Colts.com Q&A with Pro Bowl starter Joseph Addai (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=9407cf48-a99f-44d9-a580-47eb8a528fd7), who says he's trying to get wisdom from veteran stalwart Fred Taylor like he does from Edgerrin James.

In some not-so-surprising news, per John Clayton of ESPN, the Colts exercised the $15M option bonus on Dwight Freeney. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3236001&type=blogEntry)

Pretty good article about Manning's thoughts on Dungy, the 07 season, and beyond: Manning happy Dungy is sticking around (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7772506/Manning-happy-Dungy-is-sticking-around).

Dam8610
02-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Is there any chance of that bonus being pro-rated over the remaining 5 years of the deal?

Geo
02-08-2008, 03:53 AM
I do believe an option bonus can be converted into a signing bonus, which is then allows for proration over the remaining years of the deal. A method that Polian and the Colts front office aren't stangers to, we all know.

I would imagine that would be the case. Either way, Irsay has spent millions from his own pocket for bonuses to players in recent years, he's been big for this franchise. Thankfully he and the franchise now deservingly have the Luke, a better stadium with better revenue.

yourfavestoner
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Jeremy Shockey on the Giants ******* terrifies me.

Geo
02-09-2008, 12:47 AM
A point I've been meaning to raise: the Colts have actually been looking at tight end for some time. Guys they signed last offseason:

UDFA Gijon Robinson, Div II Missouri Western State (practice squad)
UDFA Jonny Harline, BYU
UDFA Matt Farbotko, Harvard
FA Mike Seidman, formerly Carolina Panthers (placed on IR before the season)

Harline was a very draftable prospect I thought, and am even more surprised he's bounced around from one practice squad to another this past year. Farbotko seems interesting, an athletic prospect with good size and tested well pre-draft, but he fell short in the numbers game when final cuts came before the start of the season.

Though admittedly, I don't remember much of anything of Harline and Farbotko in training camp/preseason, but I do remember a bit of Robinson catching a few passes in training camp and looking solid/natural (he only had 1 catch for 10 yards in the preseason) He's not the tallest guy at just under 6' 1", but he's got the weight at 245-250 and looks like a natural receiving option with soft hands, even if he isn't a deep threat. He's probably the best blocker of the three, I'm guessing. The Colts kept him on the practice squad all of last season I believe and already signed him to the 08 roster, so maybe he's a guy they see a future in.

Fletch spent just about all of 04 on the Colts' practice squad, eventually leading to a roster spot on the team the next season. Utecht was an 04 UDFA, going undrafted because of an existing injury (the Colts put him on PUP). Maybe the trend continues, who knows, but I think it's a smart method as there seems to be a notable bust rate with tight ends - the Colts being no exception, they used the 5th pick of the 3rd round on Ben Hartsock in 04.

Heck, the Pats drafted workout warrior Ben Watson in the 1st round, and he hasn't lived up to it yet.

Dam8610
02-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Jeremy Shockey on the Giants ******* terrifies me.

Did you mean Colts?

Geo
02-14-2008, 01:54 PM
The Colts signed 8-year veteran punter Chad Stanley, who played for the Houston Texans from 2002-2006 and downed more punts inside the 20 than anyone else in that time frame, to possible push incumbent starter Hunter Smith after his 07 season, reports PFW. (http://www.tribstar.com/colts/local_story_041203708.html) Good imo.

The Colts cut linebacker Brandon Archer, the Broncos claim him off waivers. (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/12/broncos-pick-up-two-linebackers/) Can't say I was ever impressed with Archer, so it's not a big deal for me.

Dan Klecko is definitely gone, according to one of the Colts beat writers for the Indystar. (http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2008/02/offseason_audibles_february_20.html#comments) That's too bad if that does happen, I like Klecko a lot.

Geo
02-15-2008, 01:03 PM
The Falcons cut Rod Coleman today, I'd like the Colts to give him a look as a potential free agent. See if he's in full health medically, etc.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about the 3 tech prospects in this year's Draft, I think I might prefer having Coleman for one or two years instead, until the Colts can get the right guy.

Staubach12
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
You know who I think would be a fantastic fit for your team? Jacob Tamme. If Clark walks, he could really be a fantastic replacement.

RCAChainGang
02-18-2008, 06:56 PM
What do you guys think of Courtney Roby. He was drafted third round by the Titans, and never was really used. Do you think he could do well with us. I've been in an argument.

tylerb929
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
What do you guys think of Courtney Roby. He was drafted third round by the Titans, and never was really used. Do you think he could do well with us. I've been in an argument.

Like I've said before, maybe playing for his home town team around his friends and family will add some motivation. But he'll have a hard time making the roster just as a WR (Harrison, Wayne, Gonzalez, Aromashodu, Thorpe, Hall). If he has a chance of making the team, its more than likely as a kick returner.

Geo
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
I liked the pick-up of Roby too, I think he's definitely worth a shot. I'm excited to see how he does.

As for receiving tight ends prospects in the mold of Dallas Clark, Tamme is a candidate and Purdue's Dustin Keller is another.

MaxV
02-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Colts franchise Dallas Clark.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3253867

This is as expected, but I'm not really a big fan of this move. I like Dallas Clark, but I wouldn't give him a big contract.

I want the Colts to sign Antoine Bethea, Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden to long-term extensions.

MaxV
02-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I've mention it here also.

Dallas Clark franchised (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3253867)

Geo
02-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I think it's worth it to franchise Clark for 2008, either to keep him for this season or trade him. Probably the former, for the Colts.

Would it be feasible to franchise him next year too? That would cost $5.4624M. Pricey ... but maybe acceptable, depending on some things. Or for trading him then, potentially, with a team that has worked out a deal with him/his agent before making the trade.

You think the Colts will lock up both Hayden and Jackson? I'm not sure, but it would be nice to have that continuity, as these two come into their own. Now would be the time, rather than wait longer and end up paying more (which the Colts have a habit of doing). I think Jackson is signed to an extension, but I'm not sure about Hayden. Plus the Colts have Dante Hughes and Michael Coe waiting in the wings.

I think a case could be made that the Colts need to reward Bethea with a new deal, and he's worth keeping long-term. He's produced as a starter the last two seasons, after being drafted as a 6th round pick. Usually you reward a guy with a new contract in that scenario, although some teams seem really cheap by making their starters play through their underpaying rookie contract (Lance Briggs and the Bears for example). Even if they don't want to keep him long-term, I'd at least bump up his pay a bit for his remaining years (Bethea's current contract pays him $445K this season and $530K next), but maybe that's just me I guess.

Bethea has missed some games the last two seasons though, so maybe the Colts have an acceptable reason to wait. But if he produces a third year, it's just poor form to not reward the guy with a new contract, unless they don't have plans to keep him I suppose. I'd like to see the Colts give Bethea some extra cash for this year at least, and for Ed Johnson to get more than the minimum the Colts could offer him as an exclusive rights free agent. I know there's a salary cap to keep under, but these guys are starters and a little extra cash is deserved.

Then again, maybe that opens a can of worms for every starter, even a guy like Joseph Addai.

Geo
02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
It's a good move for 2008, I think. Either he's back for another run at a championship, or the Colts possibly trade him before/during the Draft to get a good pick and not pay him anything. But I think the Colts have the strong mindset of keeping him for 08.

Hopefully they stick to their guns of what they're willing to pay Clark. Maybe his agent thinks he can help his player cash in like Peyton/Marvin/Freeney did, and hey - that's his job for his client. The Colts have expressed a strong interest in signing Clark to an extension, unless everything Polian has said publically and what's rumored about Irsay wanting is all a sham. I doubt it is, I think they want to keep Clark, but hopefully they don't overpay. If they do ... well, I guess it locks up the offense for a number of years. But it hurts the defense, I think. I'd rather not go that route, of overpaying for Clark. The Colts didn't overpay for the best runningback in Colts history in Edgerrin James.

Also, I just noticed that Chicago Bears tight end Desmond Clark is a free agent after this season. If the Colts need a tight end next season, be it as a replacement for Utecht or Clark, I think he'd be a great option at a reasonable deal. He'll be 32 come the start of the 2009 season, but I think he'll still be effective. The Bears should have given him the ball more the last two seasons imo, but now they've got promising young tight end Greg Olsen who deserves as many touches as possible as he has all the talent in the world. The sky is the limit for that kid.

MaxV
02-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I know it's probably unrealistic to expect for all 3 of our future FA DBs to get a long-term extension, but I guess 1 can hope.

Believe it or not, my first priority would be Bethea, who made the Pro Bowl this year. You guys may have seen me write this, but he's a PERFECT compliment to Bob Sanders.

Geo
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I think the team will sign Marlin Jackson long-term. They liked him enough to draft him in the 1st round, he's been very good since he joined the team, and he's incredibly versatile as he can play all five spots in the secondary (RCB, LCB, nickle corner, FS, SS), and maybe even linebacker in some sort of dime defense.

Hayden has been very good also, and has a knack for making big plays. Granted, he probably wishes he could have a few plays back from the San Diego playoff game, though he made a beautiful interception early that could have put the Colts up 14-0. Whether the fault of Hayden or his coaches, he plays off the receivers too much sometimes imo. Anyone can't help but love his physicality.

I know the Colts have let corners walk in the past, but to be honest, it took them time to get the perfect guys and this is the best secondary they have had ... certainly in the Dungy era, if not also before. The Bears very recently locked up Tillman and Vasher and Tillman, the Eagles similarly locked up Sheppard and Brown (who they drafted early like Jackson and Hayden), and the Bucs in their prime locked up Barber and Kelly, but then again they didn't have the offensive playmakers the Colts have to invest in. Can the Colts do it too?

Hayden is signed through 2008, and both Jackson and Bethea are signed through 2009. What are everyone's thoughts on the situation?

Geo
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
WHOA! Big news from John Clayton, on the heels of reporting the Colts franchised Dallas Clark. He added the following to the same article:

The Colts locked up another starting offensive player on Tuesday by reaching a five-year deal with guard Ryan Lilja.

Terms of the deal weren't available, but the franchising of Clark and the re-signing of Lilja leaves guard Jake Scott and defensive end Josh Thomas, who started seven games in 2007, as the team's only unsigned unrestricted free agents.

Lilja, 26, is one of the great finds of the Colts over the past several seasons. He was cut by the Chiefs as an undrafted rookie in 2004. The Colts claimed him on waivers, and he's started 43 games at guard over the past four seasons. Re-signing either Lilja or Scott was considered one of the team's top priority this offseason. Scott and Lilja each played close to 100 percent of the Colts' offensive snaps in 2007.
Colts sign Lilja to a 5-year deal. If Polian and the front office pulled the trigger on this, it's probably a good deal for a solid guy, ala Gary Brackett. I think it's a good move, although I'm waiting to see the contract. I do like Lilja more than Scott, personally.

MaxV
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh man, it better not be a deal for big money.

Geo
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Lilja's pretty good though. When the run-blocking was at its best early in the season, Ugoh-Lilja-Saturday were doing some great things together on the left side and up the middle. And Lilja does a good job in pass protection also, I can't remember him getting beat badly during the season, off the top of my head, even when playing teams like the Pats and the Chargers with big fronts.

I'm more surprised the Colts locked up a guard period to a deal. But with Lilja locked up, the Colts need to let Scott walk unless they can sign him to a great price. Maybe he wants to stick with the Colts and win another championship.

But I really liked Lilja more anyways, even though Scott can play right tackle and helped the team that way in 07 when Diem was dealing with injury. Surely the Colts wouldn't sign him to an obscene (imo) deal, like some guards are getting the last two years.

Geo
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080220/SPORTS03/802200477/1058/SPORTS03
The team also reached agreement on a long-term contract with starting guard Ryan Lilja, one of several Colts in line to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the month. The five-year deal is worth approximately $20 million.
That's pretty good. Really good if you consider what guards are getting paid these days, and not as young as Lilja who is entering his prime. Raheem Brock was signed to a bigger contract than that (5 years/$23.6M) in 06. To be honest, I wonder if Lilja didn't take less than he potentially could have received as a free agent to stay with the Colts. Good deal for both parties imo.

I have to say, now that Lilja is locked up for the next few years, that makes me feel better about next season with only right guard as the position of change. I'm fine with putting a new player at right guard, meanwhile still having Ugoh-Lilja-Saturday on the left side, and a healthy Ryan Diem at right tackle. I think if the Colts don't already have a suitable replacement for right guard on the team, with Charlie Johnson and Corey Hilliard or maybe Dylan Gandy, they can find one in the Draft (Thomas from Connecticut is a particular guy I like).

But beyond right guard this year, I'd keep an eye on center and right tackle for the future. Both Jeff Saturday and Dylan Gady is signed through 2008, and if Diem doesn't bounce back I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts moved on to a younger option (I thnk they're grooming Hilliard, great pick-up from the Pats practice squad he was - thanks Belichick and Pioli). The big thing for the Colts is improving the offensive line talent pool itself and the depth, come the Draft, and they'll be able to do that with their many picks.

But I like what the Colts have done so far. So far so good imo. Tyjuan Hagler was immediately signed to a one-year deal at the same price of the second round restricted free agent tender without the worry of another team potentially signing him to an offer sheet. I think Courtney Roby is going to push for a roster spot this summer. Ryan Lilja was signed to a good deal that keeps the left side of him and Tony Ugoh locked up, good news for Manning and Addai. And Dallas Clark was franchised for another run or a potential trade, coming off a career season with 11 touchdowns (12 if you count the postseason).

MaxV
02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Lilja a solid OG, but that seems like a bit too big of a contract, especially considering the ability of Howard Mudd to turn any OL prospect into a starter.

Geo
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080220/SPORTS03/80220065/1058/SPORTS03
Colts sign Clark to 6-year deal
By Mike Chappell
February 20, 2008

One day after the Indianapolis Colts designated Dallas Clark their “franchise’’ player, they made it a moot point. The team confirmed today they have signed their veteran tight end to a six-year contract.

Neither Clark nor his agent, Neil Cornrich, could be reached for comment.

Financial details were not immediately available, but the long-term deal undoubtedly provides Clark with a more favorable salary-cap number for the team. The franchise tag, affixed to Clark on Tuesday, consisted of a one-year, $4.5 million price tag.

Along with locking up Clark through the 2013 season, the team earlier signed starting guard Ryan Lilja to a five-year, $20 million contract that included approximately $5.5 million in guaranteed bonuses.

The team’s remaining players who will become unrestricted free agents at the end of the month are guard Jake Scott, defensive end Josh Thomas, linebacker Rocky Boiman, wide receiver Aaron Moorehead and defensive tackle Dan Klecko.
Wow, huge news the last two days. I can't even think what the figures will be, but Polian does a good job working it all and Irsay has paid millions and millions out of his pocket in signing bonuses for this team. Clark is actually more of a receiver than a tight end, so I wonder if paying him like a top-notch tight end (which he is) as opposed to a receiver doesn't help a bit.

Also, I'm surprised the Colts only gave Lilja $5.5M in guaranteed money. I really think the team got a good deal there, and that Lilja took less to be with the Colts, hence why both parties agreed to the deal before free agency arrived and the Colts break a trend of letting guards walk. Mudd and Manning can make anyone a starter, like Charlie Johnson, but Lilja is a very good starter. He's worth keeping imo.

MaxV
02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Well, you can cross TE off the list of needs now.

I waiting on the financial figure to express my opinion regarding this deal.

I like both Lilja and Clark, but I wish we'd spend more money on D.

Neither TE nor OG is a hard position to fill.

MaxV
02-20-2008, 07:10 PM
This also probably means Booger McFarland won't be a Colt next season.

Geo
02-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I think that's likely. Unless Booger wants to stay and signs a cheaper deal, but I would think he'd rather test the free agent market. However the Colts can keep him through camp, to see if he's healthy enough to possibly keep for 08. They don't owe him any guaranteed money (the Bucs were on the hook for that), there's no difference if they cut him now or before the start of the season. Obviously McFarland might want to test the free agent market earlier, but he wouldn't be fully healthy anyways so who knows.

As for Clark's new deal, obviously I am not crazy about that. But what's done is done, and Clark is a very good, maybe great, player. Money could be spent much worse, as evidenced by other teams in the league and the upcoming free agency period. Clark is definitely great if he can cut the drops and the lapses in run-blocking (including the dead giveaway on a particular run play, when he strolls toward the line), as well as hopefully stay healthy. I'll give it to DC, he can make some plays, especially on third downs - including in the postseason. Manning looks to him on third downs, and in the end zone where Clark is effective.

Maybe he doesn't see the last year or two of his new contract, but he should help the Colts contend for championships in the meantime. What I really like about having Wayne-Gonzo-Clark is that the Colts can move them around the field. Wayne and Gonzo can line-up at all four receiver spots, and Clark can line-up on either side and even out wide. Add the Colts experimenting with moving Harrison around also (remember the TD versus the Saints), it gives the team an added edge to use against opposing defenses.

MaxV
02-20-2008, 10:11 PM
One thing I've learned over the years (the hard way) is NEVER question Bill Polian.

He wouldn't have made these moves if he didn't think they were the best thing for the franchise.

In Bill I trust. :)

Geo
02-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Bill Polian recently on the Mike Tirico show mp3 (http://query-origin.andohs.net/8000A6/content-root3.andomedia.com/origin/mp3/espnradio/insider/tirico/tirico_02192008_3.mp3)

Polian discusses Indy's bid for the 2012 Super Bowl, the NFL Combine, and the status of Freeney/Sanders/Harrison. Save and listen!

Geo
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080221/SPORTS03/802210540/1058/SPORTS03

If this is right, and we don't have the specifics yet: 6 years, $41M.

Damn it. I knew it, I knew they would overspend so much on Clark. What the hell. Please please please be backloaded so he doesn't see half that. Ugh.

Edit: According to rotoworld and John Clayton of ESPN (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1509), it's 6 years, $36M, with $4-5M potentially in incentives.

Eh, at least it's not bigger than Reggie Wayne's contract, cripes. I still hate this deal. Go to hell Shanahan for signing freaking Dan Graham to 6M per. And God forbid the Colts not sign guys to massive deals, nice way to stand your ground, boys. Ugh.

redviper311
02-22-2008, 07:34 AM
You should have known that Dallas Calark was not going to go anywhere. I am sure Peyton lobbied pretty hard for a deal to get done prior to summer school sessions and training camp. With the current deals we are $286,000 over the salary cap. Can we say re-structure your deal or say goodbye Booger.

I am sure the team got pretty creative with this deal to make it cap friendly in the first three years. I think the contract might look like this ( 3.5mil, 4.0mil, 5.0mil, 6.0mil, 8.75mil, 8.75mil) I look for them to ask Manning, Harrison, and Wayne to restructure their contracts for the next two years to help them re-sign Betha, Jackson, and Addai. Addai could come exspendable if the Colts find a stud of a back in the draft the next couple of years.

Personally I am happy to see a deal get done to keep Dallas in Indy. Now lets go find a great number two to groom behind Dallas...maybe Brad Cottom....

Geo
02-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Per Schefter's numbers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=B1B49514CE777743FAF0645952F0C57B? id=09000d5d806c8fbb&template=with-video&confirm=true), that number he reported also includes the following:

Indianapolis was $230,850 over the salary cap –- but that was before they signed tight end Dallas Clark to a new six-year contract Wednesday.

As for Clark's deal, the deal itself is probably in line with the market. I'm just not a fan of it. What's done is done, however.

But I agree in the thought that the Colts will now look to groom a #2 tight end to succeed Ben Utecht. I wonder if the Colts will keep four tight ends on the roster though, in terms of Clark (TE/WR), Utecht, Fletch, and a draft pick. I'd hate to see Fletch go this year, he's an experienced guy in the offense who does a solid job.

RCAChainGang
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Booger McFarland isn't as as big of a loss as it would seem. He is getting old and frankly I would rather let him walk and pick someone up in the draft.

Marlin Jackson has got to get signed. He is such a good physical corner. Great openfield tackling is what impresses me most. I think he will be signed. The colts drafted him early and I think they saw something in him worth keeing him.

I like Hayden a whole lot, but I would much rather have Bethea and Jackson. I can see him moving on to another team.

Since Ryan Lilja got his pay day I think Jake Scott is gonna walk.

I sat this draft should be full of the trenches.

MaxV
02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Booger McFarland and Rob Morris released.

http://colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=2fca4d49-09f4-4752-b946-eb11d63f5316

This isn't surprising.

I will forever be grateful to both of these players for the job they did during our MAGICAL 2006 postseason run. Especially Booger McFarland, who was the Colts' MVP during the playoffs in '06 imo.

Geo
02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Good call, hopefully both guys recover fully (rotoworld says both guys failed their exit physicals, I can believe that). I wouldn't be surprised to see Morris join the Colts later on, but maybe not. Hagler will definitely remain the starter at SAM next season, then.

For the time being, the second-youngest team in the league became even younger, and saved over $8M in this year's cap.

Dam8610
02-27-2008, 09:31 PM
For the time being, the second-youngest team in the league became even younger, and saved over $8M in this year's cap.

...and before the offseason is out, will likely become even younger. That statement brings me to a question though: who is the NFL's youngest team?

Geo
02-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the Packers. They do a great job of drafting too, probably second best in the league behind the Colts.

So as of now, the Colts' linebackers signed to the team:
x-Gary Brackett (through 09)
x-Freddy Keiaho (09)
x-Tyjuan Hagler (08)
Clint Session (10)
UDFA Ramon Guzman (?)
UDFA Victor Worsley (?)
plus they signed Kyle Shotwell this offseason, after a year of jumping between the Raiders' and the Eagles' practice squads. Who knows if he'll make the team, etcetera.

... yeah, the Colts need to bolster the core with some better depth, if they don't re-sign vet Rocky Boiman.

Geo
02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmNL1KYwqkbfLkI_bTFJ7AKI2bYF?slug=ap-colts-freeagents&prov=ap&type=lgns

Colts make offer to DT Ed Johnson, 5 other restricted free agents
By STEVE HERMAN, AP Sports Writer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Defensive tackle Ed Johnson, who was undrafted out of Penn State but started all 16 games as a rookie last season, received a one-year offer as an exclusive rights free agent with the Indianapolis Colts.

Johnson was bypassed in last year’s draft in part because of discipline problems at Penn State, where he was suspended and dismissed from the team. But the Colts gave him a tryout, and he moved into the starting lineup after veteran Anthony McFarland sustained a season-ending knee injury in training camp. Earlier this week, the Colts waived McFarland, who was due to receive $6.9 million this season.

The 6-foot-2, 296-pound Johnson started every game at tackle and led all Colts defensive linemen with 63 tackles. Without the exclusive rights offer, available to players with expiring contracts but fewer than three years of NFL experience, Johnson would have been free to sign with any team.

Receiver Craphonso Thorpe also was in that position, but did not receive an offer by Thursday’s deadline and was released.

The Colts on Friday also announced one-year qualifying offers were made to tight ends Ben Utecht and Bryan Fletcher, offensive lineman Dylan Gandy, defensive back Matt Giordano and defensive tackle Darrell Reid, all restricted free agents.

Qualifying offers allow restricted free agents to sign with other teams through April 20. The Colts may then either match the offer or receive compensation from the new team.

The club also signed kicker Shane Andrus off waivers from the New York Giants, and QB Josh Betts, DT Joe Bradley, OL Mike Elgin, OL Tala Esera, RB Justise Hairston, DE Ben Ishola, WR Onrea Jones, TE Gijon Robinson, WR Courtney Roby, C Pat Ross, LB Kyle Shotwell and P Chad Stanley, all free agents. The Colts also released linebacker Brandon Archer.

Indianapolis also has six unrestricted free agents—linebacker Rocky Boiman, defensive tackle Dan Klecko, receiver Aaron Moorehead, guard Jake Scott, tight end Mike Seidman and defensive end Josh Thomas.

This is the third straight year the Colts have signed Andrus, who was waived in training camp in 2006 and 2007. He signed as a free agent with New York in January but was waived on Feb. 13, 10 days after the Giants’ Super Bowl win over New England.
Man, Polian has brass ones. I love it, hahaha.

Good to see Andrus back too, I can't understand how other teams in the league continue to overlook this guy. Especially when they stick with crappy kickers.

Geo
02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm amazed there hasn't been any word on Lance Briggs yet, with the gates of free agency blown open. He's the best overall linebacker in the league, in my mind.

Oh how I would love to sign him. He'd be the perfect middle linebacker for this defense, the one piece that could fully elevate them. Heck, I'd cut Harrison for Briggs, although Harrison shouldn't be cut. He should be a lifer with this franchise.

MaxV
03-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Tyler Brayton to visit with the Colts.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=780

At 6'-6" 280 and good athleticism, could be a good UT in 1-gap system.

Geo
03-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Well, that's interesting and surprising. Think the Colts are looking at him as a LDE ala Josh Thomas? I don't know, it might be better to sign Thomas in that scenario, maybe you're right about him playing inside, Max.

MaxV
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
The Panthers are interested in Brayton also. They probably can offer a better deal then us.

Geo
03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I think I'd rather bring Thomas back, he does an alright job in relieving Mathis. Moreso on running downs. It's just that the guy is always almost there at the quarterback, but can never get there.

Come to think of it, did the Colts ever try sliding Thomas inside? Wonder how that could have worked out, he's around 6' 6" himself so he might have batted down some short passes.

tylerb929
03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Tyler B. a Colt, coincedence?.... I think not.

Dam8610
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Anyone think Rod Coleman might come cheap? If so, do you think he's worth a shot?

Also, maybe the Colts bring Larry Tripplett back into the fold on a cheap deal?

I'm just hoping the DL gets more help than at DE, be it via the draft or FA.

Geo
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
The Colts met with Brayton on Monday, might have given him an offer - likely deciding between Indy and Carolina. (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/SPORTS03/803040368/1058/SPORTS03) I wouldn't mind signing him, he could sub in for Mathis at LDE on running downs, but maybe unlike Josh Thomas, could slide inside at tackle on some downs.

If it doesn't work out, I'd love to draft Kendall Langford of Hampton or Jason Jones of Eastern Michgan for a similar purpose. We've all thought that the Colts would draft another speed rusher ... I wonder if maybe they aren't looking for a bigger guy like Brayton, the aforementioned Langford and Jones for instance.

As for Coleman, I think I read some speculation/rumor that he's not passing some team physicals. But if he's healthy, I'd certainly like to see him join the team. I'll guess he won't though, what with the injury and the age.

I'd love to see the Colts check out Tripps, I think he could definitely work as a rotational interior rusher.

Geo
03-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Carolina signed Brayton to a two-year deal, so we'll just have to be content with our fellow poster tylerb ... which is still good. :)

As I said earlier, I think this opens the door for the Colts drafting a bigger defensive end similar to Brayton or Josh Thomas - I guess you could say a rich man's Josh Thomas, but credit to the UDFA for doing a solid job, he'll make a roster somewhere and maybe be back with the Colts this year - who can play run downs put do a good job of pressuring the quarterback, and maybe slide inside to tackle. I think we'd all love to have a Justin Tuck, although the odds are slim of finding an equal hopefully the Colts can find a prospect similar.

Then again, maybe the Colts are looking for another speed rusher.

Dam8610
03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts were looking for both a UT type and a speed rusher. There are some of both to be had in this year's draft.

Dam8610
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Anyone else think Kevin Jones would make a solid #2? I know he's an injury risk, but as a backup, he'll see a lot less carries, and I think his lack of production is due in large part to playing behind the Lions' OL. I think he'd be a great option to spell Addai and get 100-150 carries (while Addai gets about 250-280), and he's already proven in the league. Think he'd come at about $1 million? I think the Colts could afford that if they really like him. Thoughts?

Geo
03-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Eh ... I mean, I always liked KJ, but the dude can't stay healthy. I don't think he's played one 16-game season, and right now, he's recovering from a torn ACL. But if he signed cheap, and of course checked out medically, then sure I suppose.

Then again, I would like to sign LaMont Jordan (once he's released by the Raiders any day now) or Derrick Ward of the Giants just as much, if not moreso.

We'll see if the Colts sign anyone else. I'd like to bring Rocky Boiman back for another year. Josh Thomas, ehh, maybe. I wish the team would bring back Dan Klecko. I like the Lilja deal more by the day, you guys see the numbers Bell got from St. Louis?

KCJ58
03-13-2008, 11:40 PM
beside Peyton, Matt Giordano is my favorite Colt i hope he stays but if he leaves i hope he can start somewhere

Geo
03-13-2008, 11:48 PM
So far, no one has bit on Giordano, a RFA with a 4th round pick in compensation. But he's definitely talented, very quick. I'd love to have him one more year, safety depth is very important with this defense.

If someone does sign him, that helps open up some room for Brandon Condren. Melvin Bullitt is a stud, what an UDFA gem this guy is imo, but he surpassed Condren who the Colts drafted in the 4th or 5th round, who's left waiting in wings as an inactive for the most part.

Geo
03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
The Cincinnati Bengals sign RFA Ben Utecht to a 3-year offer sheet. (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2008/03/utecht-signs-offer-sheet-with-bengals.asp) Rotoworld believes the value is close to $9M.

Farewell, BenU. You did a good job makng the team as an UDFA in 2004, and staying on. You'll be playing with another great quarterback in Cincy.

themaninblack
03-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I was wondering your thoughts on Ben Utecht? specifically, if he is a good blocker or not. Do you guys think this was a good pickup? any info on him would be great. thanks.

Geo
03-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Utecht's a solid guy imo. He can block pretty well, but also be a good receiver. He'll run routes and attack the open zones - not an Antonio Gates or anything similar, you know, but he'll contribute to helping move the chains. He made a beautiful diving touchdown catch against the Falcons last season, I recall.

The big minuses are fumbles and durability, they tend to rear their heads every so often. If those two could be eliminated, he'd be great. But I've noticed he's working on his ball security, even if it means hugging the ball with both arms.

I think he's a solid signing for the Bengals. The Coats kid they picked up last year seemed to do good things, I recall hearing his name every so often, but maybe Utecht gives them a younger option than Reggie Kelly.

Dam8610
03-15-2008, 01:28 AM
I was wondering your thoughts on Ben Utecht? specifically, if he is a good blocker or not. Do you guys think this was a good pickup? any info on him would be great. thanks.

Utecht is a solid TE. He's never going to be in the top half of the league among starters, but he can do everything you'd ask of a TE, except maybe stretch the field. He'll also have the occasional devastating fumble, but all in all he's a solid TE.

Geo
03-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Hmm, reading the Defensive tackles installment (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=e9cc979d-db64-40d2-a7f5-329e6a26f068) of the Colts.com position-by-position analysis with Coach Dungy, it seems Keyunta Dawson will be staying there and that he likes the rotational foursome of Brock/Dawson/Johnson/Pitock.

Maybe DT isn't as big a need as originally thought, then.

Dam8610
03-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Keep in mind, Polian and Dungy said prior to the draft in 2006 that they thought Dominic Rhodes was a Pro-Bowl caliber starter, or something of that nature.

Geo
03-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Good point, Coach Dungy is going to talk his guys up.

Still, I have a feeling they are fine with Dawson as a pass-rushing DT. Hopefully he'll get some looks at DE as well, as a rotational guy, because if not that only leaves Jeff Charleston (?) as a back-up DE. I really like Dawson, I think he was a great pick in the 7th round and he plays with a motor that 2nd round picks with more talent don't have.

It's a bit interesting though that the Colts list him at 6-3/250 when he measured in at his pro day around 6-1.5/272. Sometimes the team is quirky with their reported height/weights. :)

Dam8610
03-15-2008, 03:36 PM
The Colts will address their pass rush in the draft somehow, that probably means DE(s), especially if they are fine with the situation at DT. I just hope all the 3-4 teams overlook Cliff Avril. He's probably the best fit for the Colts at DE in this draft.

Geo
03-15-2008, 03:44 PM
PFT has a rumor story that the Colts (and the Browns) recently contacted former Steelers and current free agent linebacker Clark Haggans. (http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/14/haggans-drawing-interest)

I think I'd like the move, to bring the veteran in. Obviously assuming it's not a very big deal, considering he's not drawing near as much interest as he and/or his agent thought he would. But he'd bring SLB and pass-rushing capability, I suppose. Plus it would keep him away from the Pats or another 3-4 team in the AFC.

Dam8610
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I've heard that no one is interested in him.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/15/haggans-not-really-drawing-interest/

Then again, this is all from Florio, so...

MaxV
03-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Dan Klecko sign with Eagles as a FB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3298407

Geo
03-19-2008, 02:40 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/SPORTS03/80318063]
Colts re-sign DE Thomas for 1 year
5:30 PM March 18, 2008

Defensive end Josh Thomas, one of the Colts’ unrestricted free agents, will return to the team after signing a one-year contract today. Financial terms were not immediately available.

“He’s happy the Colts wanted him back,” Alan Herman, Thomas’ agent, said.

In four seasons with the Colts, Thomas has appeared in 52 regular-season games with 137 tackles and six sacks. His role likely will be unchanged: as the third end behind Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Thomas’ return is important considering it’s uncertain whether Freeney will be ready for the start of the 2008 season. Freeney is recovering after undergoing surgery on his left foot.

Before agreeing to the one-year deal with the Colts, Thomas visited the Tennessee Titans.
Kind of surprised Thomas didn't get any takers in free agency, especially with the need for DE. He does a solid job against the run, and while he doesn't physically reach the QB in time, actually generates a good deal of pressure. It's just a shame that he can't seem to get the sack in time, when Thomas was only one of four Colts defenders to have double-digit QB pressures last season (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=stats).

I like the signing, especially as the numbers likely work for the Colts financially. Though it's short-term and makes you wonder if the Colts will keep two DEs who fulfill a run-stopping role, should they draft such a player to be a part of the team for four years. Regardless, for the time being, the Colts have fulfilled that specific hole in the roster with Thomas. He'll spell Mathis at LDE a great deal.

chad72
03-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Josh Thomas plays the run before the pass since he knows he does not have the speed of a Mathis or Freeney. But it helps while playing division rivals as it makes us a little less susceptible to those RB draw plays that both the Jags and Titans like to run. He plays better backing Mathis up as opposed to backing Freeney up, IMO.

Man, the Titans must get a kick out of having every cut Colts player come in and visit:-). I bet every Colts player that gets cut always knows there is a market with the Titans. Maybe someday, with so many former Colts players on their roster, the Titans might one day win the division.

Geo
03-26-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080326/SPORTS03/803260486/1004/SPORTS

Irsay rewards Polian with contract extension
By Mike Chappell
Posted: March 26, 2008

The Indianapolis Colts have ensured continuity in the front office for the foreseeable future by signing president Bill Polian to an extension.

Owner Jim Irsay said the extension was finalized several months ago and is for "another three or four years.''

"I see him here hopefully for a long time, but certainly through 2011 or whatever it is,'' Irsay said.

Polian, 65, has been the primary architect of the Colts' long run of success. Since Irsay hired him prior to the 1998 season to oversee all on-field operations, the franchise has developed into one of the NFL's most successful. The Colts have posted a 105-55 regular-season record over the past 10 seasons, reached the playoffs eight times and won the Super Bowl after the 2006 season.

Irsay described Polian as a "Hall of Fame'' type individual.

"There are not a lot of (those guys) out there,'' he said.
Excellent news. Chris Polian is a valuable member of the franchise and likely the leading successor to his dad, but it's good to have the front office staying as is with one of the best GMs in the league if not in his era.

MaxV
03-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Bill Polian is the second most valuable member of our franchise.

GREAT NEWS.

RagingColt
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Sweet move that should keep the team going in the right direction. Eight trips to the playoffs, plus a Super Bowl victory is a good track record in ten years.

Geo
03-26-2008, 04:15 PM
You know, it's really not just Polian. Irsay (stellar owner!) invests good money in their scouting department, probably more than a number of other teams, because they know it's the lifeblood of their team. Obviously, Polian and Coach Dungy get the lion's share of the credit, but let's all give thanks to the good work and effort of the following people and more (per Colts.com):

FOOTBALL OPERATIONS
Chris Polian, Vice President of Football Operations
Steve Champlin, Director of Football Administration
Tom Telesco, Director of Player Personnel
Dom Anile, Sr. Consultant to Player Personnel
Clyde Powers, Director of Pro Player Personnel
David Caldwell, Western Regional Scout
Todd Vasvari, Eastern Regional Scout
Bob Ferguson, Special Asst. to the Dir. of Player Personnel
John Becker, Area Scout
Ryan Cavanaugh, Area Scout
Mark Ellenz, Area Scout
Bob Guarini, Area Scout
Byron Lusby, Area Scout
Matt Terpening, Area Scout
Kevin Rogers, Pro Scout
J. W. Jordan, Salary Cap/Personnel Analyst
Stefani Paul, Player Development Administrator
Jamie Moore, Scouting Assistant
Jon Shaw, Scouting Assistant
Debbie Finn, Asst. to the Director of Player Personnel

Much thanks to these guys and hopefuly their hard work pays off with this year's Draft too!

Geo
03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Speaking of, Colts owner Jim Irsay provided an interview earlier this week (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080327/SPORTS03/803270452/1100) and he chimes in on a few things, including the status and potential future of Marvin Harrison.

Also, the Columbus Dispatch recently interviewed Colts' wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez (http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2008/03/25/q_a_gonzalez.ART_ART_03-25-08_C1_UL9O64C.html?sid=101), who a year ago was getting ready for the Draft. He provides some very interesting insight on the rookie year that he now has under his belt.

Both are good reads, check them out.

Geo
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Interesting tidbit from PFW: (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+South/Indianapolis/WWHI/2008/wwhi032808.htm)

Colts expecting Morris to come back
March 28, 2008

When the Colts severed ties with SLB Rob Morris in February, it wasn’t done because they didn’t value his contributions. According to a source close to the club, it was rather that they felt he wouldn’t attract much attention on the open market, and they felt they could re-sign him to a more cap-friendly deal. It appears that the gamble has paid off. Morris, who played in just two games last season before a bum knee forced him onto injured reserve, could very well be back in Indianapolis in the near future. Nevertheless, we hear it will awfully difficult for him to reclaim the starting job that he held in the early part of the 2007 season. Morris, 33, lacks the type of prototypical athleticism that coach Tony Dungy covets in his linebackers for the Tampa-2 defense, and thus would most likely back up ’07 revelation Tyjuan Hagler.
I'm definitely for re-signing Morris, myself. He brings experience at SLB and MLB, plus he did very well on special teams when he wasn't starting (probably captain of the coverage unit if he returns).

Geo
04-21-2008, 04:09 PM
RFAs OL Dylan Gandy, TE Bryan Fletcher, and DL Darrell Reid have signed their tenders. (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=b3353667-8b8d-408a-9cba-4f0c96b76f1f)

Pretty sure that's all of them now, given the deadline. Giordano signed a week or so ago.

Geo
04-23-2008, 11:18 AM
The Chiefs got a 1st and two 3rd round picks for Jared Allen ... boy, it makes you wonder what the Colts could have had for Dwight Freeney.

And Allen got a new deal that is slightly bigger than Freeney's, wow. One could argue Freeney is grossly overpaid, imagine this new development.

MaxV
04-23-2008, 11:50 AM
We need Freeney. You saw what happend when he went down.

RagingColt
04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Yep, without freeny and mathis, our defense is as good as sunk.

Dam8610
04-23-2008, 03:48 PM
The Chiefs got a 1st and two 3rd round picks for Jared Allen ... boy, it makes you wonder what the Colts could have had for Dwight Freeney.

And Allen got a new deal that is slightly bigger than Freeney's, wow. One could argue Freeney is grossly overpaid, imagine this new development.

People will justify Allen's deal, because he's seen as a more complete player. Even though he isn't, that's enough in some people's eyes to justify it. One thing this move does do, however, is make the Vikings instant contenders in the NFC. As for what the Colts could've gotten for Freeney, I for one don't want to see the Divisional playoff game play itself out every week.

Geo
04-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Yep, without freeny and mathis, our defense is as good as sunk.
Not necessarly sunk. We saw in the last few games last year, when Freeney and Mathis were both out w/ injury and the defense still held strong though without sacks/QB hits, that the defense as a whole can be effective and just as hard-hitting. Thanks to improvements and acquisition of talent in the last few years, ex. actually having defensive tackles inside who aren't sieves against the run.

But without Freeney and Mathis and having no pass-rushers to temporarily take their place ... against a good passing offense, like say the Jags, the Colts would need to score over 24 to win. And with Manning and co. in the offense, they could do that.

MaxV
04-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Not necessarly sunk. We saw in the last few games last year, when Freeney and Mathis were both out w/ injury and the defense still held strong though without sacks/QB hits, that the defense as a whole can be effective and just as hard-hitting. Thanks to improvements and acquisition of talent in the last few years, ex. actually having defensive tackles inside who aren't sieves against the run.

But without Freeney and Mathis and having no pass-rushers to temporarily take their place ... against a good passing offense, like say the Jags, the Colts would need to score over 24 to win. And with Manning and co. in the offense, they could do that.

Yeah, but why? I thought the point was to become dominant on both sides, not just be great on one and just get by on the other.

Ok against the Jags we would need to score 24 with no pass-rush, but what about against the Pats?

When healthy, Freeney is one of the most feared defenders in the NFL. His presence alone makes our D much better, simply because he commands a constant double-team.

I hope he fully recovers, as that would make our team very difficult to stop.

UKfan
04-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I don't think Geo's saying that he wants to get rid of Freeney, just playing Devil's Advocate, it does kind of make you think, we could perhaps get a stud DT if we picked up a first from someone which the Colts haven't really had in a while, or another DE along with the extra picks. It's interesting to ponder on, but ultimately keeping Freeney makes the most sense.

Geo
04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, I like Freeney of course ... probably the best DE in the league if you ask me, but that contract he got was ginormous. And now Jared Allen was paid even more. But what's done is done with Freeney, I'm glad he's still with the Colts and I hope he remains as dominant and retires many years from now as a Colts player.

And as for the defense, well I was sort of saying in response to RG that the Colts aren't completely sunk without Freeney and Mathis, I don't think. They could still get it done as a team imo, although the offense would have to score more points because a team like Jacksonville or San Diego would put up 24 points. But the real point is that the last few drafts have created a stronger defense than what the Colts had a few years ago, when losing Freeney and Mathis would have really sunk the team in all likelihood.

And also, let's not get overboard with the bitter playoff loss to the Chargers. There were so many fluky things and turnovers about that game, the Colts should have won that game, that you can't rack your mind over it imo. And let's look at the NFL today:

The best way to attack the Jags, Texans, Titans, Steelers, Chargers, and Patriots? With a passing offense. They can be attacked with success with the pass.

... and the Colts now have Wayne (best WR in the league imo), Gonzalez, and Clark signed long-term and able to line-up anywhere on the field to create match-up advantages. With Harrison hopefully fully recovered and giving everything he has to win a few more championships before he finally retires. And maybe a few more weapons from the Draft, hopefully a good #2 back who can be a threat in the passing game as dump-off/high percentage passes to the back is just smart thinking.

RagingColt
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
No offence taken Geo. My point was without a healthy Freeney/Mathis, that the def is not as good which is obvious. I see and understand the point your making with the impovements in the overall Colts Def. I guess like alot of people, I over reacted after the SD game. Lot's of other things could have happened to enable the Colts to a win that day but that's last season.

Now we have the chance to add depth in key places to make another run to the Super Bowl. Many will pick the Pats to be the favorites this year, and the Colts have a tough sked as they do every year, but I see no reason to count out the Colts.

Manning+Dungy+Polian=Yearly Contenders

Geo
04-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Speaking of Dwight Freeney, it sounds like his recovery is progressing nicely (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080425/SPORTS03/804250450/1100).

Geo
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Excellent news from Bill Polian's pre-Draft presser, he said Charlie Johnson will be playing at guard (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=49d0ca7f-905f-4a67-aea0-a7a05e587e5e). Great for the team because Johnson is better suited for guard, can help the depth at guard, but also helps open up a roster spot for a more suitable tackle behind Ugoh and Diem.

tylerb929
04-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Excellent news from Bill Polian's pre-Draft presser, he said Charlie Johnson will be playing at guard (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=49d0ca7f-905f-4a67-aea0-a7a05e587e5e). Great for the team because Johnson is better suited for guard, can help the depth at guard, but also helps open up a roster spot for a more suitable tackle behind Ugoh and Diem.

Hopefully this means they see Gandy as Saturday's replacement, and therefore we don't draft a Center early either.

Geo
04-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Both Saturday and Gandy are free agents after 2008 ... so at least one has to be re-signed?

RCAChainGang
04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Both Saturday and Gandy are free agents after 2008 ... so at least one has to be re-signed?

No doubt I would rather have Saturday. The chemistry between him and Manning is great. Chemistry is really underated. When Manning is trying to beat the play clock or on hurry up offense ( we run a lot ) it is needed. I like Saturday too much anyways.

Geo
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80816a43&template=with-video&confirm=true

Falcons hire Caldwell to direct scouting
Associated Press

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff hired David Caldwell from the Indianapolis Colts as director of college scouting on Wednesday.

Caldwell spent the last 10 seasons with the Colts, including the last two as western regional scout.

Caldwell will assume the same position with Atlanta that Dimitroff held in New England before he was hired by the Falcons this year.

"He comes to us from a highly respected and very successful team," said Dimitroff of Caldwell. "He is well respected around the NFL and will be a great asset to the scouting department."
Congrats on his promotion.

MaxV
05-01-2008, 06:46 PM
It's not surprise. Our scouts are arguably the best in the NFL.

He's a loss. Hopefully, we'll replace him with someone worthy.

RCAChainGang
05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
It's not surprise. Our scouts are arguably the best in the NFL.

He's a loss. Hopefully, we'll replace him with someone worthy.

Yep, agreed.

Geo
05-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Colts release OL Dylan Gandy and TE Bryan Fletcher. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3379268&type=blogEntry)

Good move by the franchise to just release them now, so that they can land on other rosters. Both guys are solid, just paid too much relatively given the restricted free agent tenders and the incoming draft class.

redviper311
05-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Colts release OL Dylan Gandy and TE Bryan Fletcher. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3379268&type=blogEntry)

Good move by the franchise to just release them now, so that they can land on other rosters. Both guys are solid, just paid too much relatively given the restricted free agent tenders and the incoming draft class.

I like this move for two reasons:
1. it frees some much need cap space
2. makes room for aleast on of the newly aquried OL in the draft and ensures a roster spot for both TE's Tamme and Santi

UKfan
05-03-2008, 07:20 AM
I don't particularly like the Gandy release at this stage, what if the draftees at OG suck? Fletcher was always likely to go anyway though, so I don't mind that one bit.

Sometimes I just think that the NFL is a bit too rookie oriented, Gandy was considered a likely starter this year prior to the draft, and now he's gone, just like that.

MaxV
05-03-2008, 07:38 AM
This is surprising.

Why not have let Gandy compete for a roster spot?

UKfan
05-03-2008, 08:06 AM
You copying me Max?! :P

MaxV
05-03-2008, 08:17 AM
You copying me Max?! :P

Sorry, I didn't read your post. But I agree with you completely on this one.

I just hope they didn't release Gandy to make room for Charlie friggin' Johnson.

UKfan
05-03-2008, 08:39 AM

I just hope they didn't release Gandy to make room for Charlie friggin' Johnson.

I'm only messing with you man, it's cool.

Geo
05-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Is Gandy a better player than Johnson? I'd say so, although we haven't seen a great deal of Gandy. But:

1. Johnson can play either tackle spot, although I certainly would put Toudouze ahead of him on the depth chart. Gandy could play, presumably, both guard spots and center ... but now the Colts have other talent to do that, who are signed for three/four years instead of just one. They need the depth at OT though, especially after a season that saw both tackles injured.

2. Gandy would have made $927K. Johnson will make $975K over the next two seasons. so there's a financial aspect to it as well.

MaxV
05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Johnson can play either tackle spot.

Seeing how he played last year, I would have to disagree with you on this one.

redviper311
05-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Seeing how he played last year, I would have to disagree with you on this one.

If you go back to the tape of Johnson during the Super Bowl he played a brilliant game imo. Granted he played only one game, but that should be a barometer of what his ceiling could possible be. With three income rookies that can play both G and C positions it made Gandy expendable and raised Johnson’s value to the team. Now if we would have drafted T instead I think we would have seen Johnson getting the pink slip instead.

tylerb929
05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I think this move really has to do with the new rule this year of only 80 players can go into camp.

Geo
05-03-2008, 01:01 PM
It will be interesting to see which RBs are released in the immediate future, like Dom Rhodes in Oakland, because there will be some guys.

A guy like JJ Arrington would be seriously worth considering imo, although I'm not entirely sure if the Cards would release him (even if he has one-year left on his contract and they drafted Tim Hightower) because of his utilization in their passing game.

Take the Eagles for example, they have to cut one of their five runningbacks, Ryan Moats being as good as gone most likely. Seattle signed Justin Forsett as an UDFA, but he probably won't make the roster. The Lions might cut Brian Calhoun.

Not to say the Colts will sign a guy, but Rhodes won't be the only (nor maybe the best) option available, keep in mind.

UKfan
05-03-2008, 01:26 PM
If you go back to the tape of Johnson during the Super Bowl he played a brilliant game imo. Granted he played only one game, but that should be a barometer of what his ceiling could possible be. With three income rookies that can play both G and C positions it made Gandy expendable and raised Johnson’s value to the team. Now if we would have drafted T instead I think we would have seen Johnson getting the pink slip instead.

Why so? What makes the rookies better than Gandy? Gandy's salary, whilst probably larger than Justice and Richard's, wasn't exactly enormous, and he knows the system, and was considered a likely replacement to Scott. I dunno, just seems a little premature to get rid of Gandy IMO.

Geo
05-03-2008, 01:49 PM
It's not that Gandy can't play, he can. But a roster spot (of which there are only so many) is better served to a rookie who is signed through 2011, and could have more upside.

MaxV
05-03-2008, 01:52 PM
It's not that Gandy can't play, he can. But a roster spot (of which there are only so many) is better served to a rookie who is signed through 2011, and could have more upside.

Yes, but when you have to replace a starter (Jake Scott), it's a big gamble to release the most experienced backup.

MaxV
05-03-2008, 01:54 PM
It sounds like Bill Polian was forced to make this decision because he needs to clear Cap space.

Geo
05-03-2008, 01:56 PM
The Colts were fine when it comes to the cap, as far as I am aware.

Both Fletch and Gandy are experienced in the offense and can play, but they just weren't going to make the final roster.

RCAChainGang
05-03-2008, 07:09 PM
The suggestion box got released?

"Bryan Fletcher is like a suggestion box"
Peyton Manning

I liked him. Guess you got to let people go. We definitely can replace them so good move. More cap space.

TitanHope
05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I saw this on TitansCentral, and was surprised by the release of Dylan Gandy.

When the Titans signed Jake Scott, I thought it was Gandy who would be taking over for him. I understand releasing him because of the draftees and versatility of Charlie Johnson, but didn't both Tony Ugoh and Ryan Diem miss a lot of playing time last season? If either of ya'lls OT's go down and forces Johnson to move to OT, then that means unproven Pollack/Justice will have to play RG. You'd think that safety blanket is worth the roster spot, especially considering the small salary and last years injuries.

Of course, ya'll still have Mudd, so this is all probably a mute point. ;)

Geo
05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I think Pollak will be the starter @ RG over Johnson. Maybe he stays there and Justice takes over for Saturday at center.

Geo
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Schefter delivering some news, per rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL):
Dominic Rhodes-RB
May. 6 - 6:03 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Colts are expected to reach an agreement with Dominic Rhodes on a contract.

GM Bill Polian downplayed the possibility last week, but it looks like posturing now. Don't assume Rhodes is a lock to backup Joseph Addai, but he looks like the favorite over sixth-round pick Mike Hart, with Kenton Keith the likely odd man out. Whoever wins the backup job is going to be worth a late-round fantasy pick.
Dom Rhodes >> Stone Hands, so on that alone it's a good signing. Especially at the right price, honestly I thought Dom might go elsewhere to get paid more, but he knows this is the best situation he could have and maybe win more rings.

I still am very interested/hopeful for Chad Simpson though ... who knows, maybe he still wins a roster spot, although having Hart and Rhodes is a big improvement already over Keith and Dawson last year. And can hopefully help the Colts get back to winning another championship.

MaxV
05-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Eh, I'm not crazy about this idea. Rhodes played great in the playoffs, but he was mediocre in the regular season.

I think he's finished.

RagingColt
05-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I think the signing of Rhodes at least increases the competition at RB for training camp for the Colts. At least he already knows the offense and can effectively but not spectactularly contribute in the RB rotation. If nothing else, the Colts actually recognize that the depth at RB last year was lacking to say the least. Keith was good at running, but stone hands didn't help in the passing game. No one else really got into meaningful games to contribute.

Geo
05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Eh, I'm not crazy about this idea. Rhodes played great in the playoffs, but he was mediocre in the regular season.

I think he's finished.
Oh no, Dom can still definitely play. He looked it last season with the Raiders when they finally gave him the ball.

The 06 playoffs showed the ideal situation, Addai starting and then Rhodes coming in with fresh legs and running hard - putting everything into 8 to 12 carries, like Marion Barber. Coming back to the Colts, he'll undoubtedly understand his role is coming off the bench.

We're back to worrying about Dom's ball security again, but at least the guy can catch and block. And the Colts also have Mike Hart (and Chad Simpson), so awesome.

MaxV
05-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't know.

Perhaps I just want to have younger RB as a backup.

Geo
05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I definitely agree with you there, I've wanted to see the Colts build up the RB depth with the Draft for awhile, with mid/late rounds picks like the Giants and Chargers. But a vet like Dom can help, like the Pats have with Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk, they know what to do and can just play. Knowledge in/of the scheme makes you play faster, whereas a young guy will be thinking of what to do and play slower because of it.

Having Rhodes doesn't force Hart to have to be the back he can be by September, he has a season to learn the offense. And Rhodes has a proven chemistry with Addai, plus at least Manning now can trust another back again.

I can't imagine the Colts will overpay much, so it's a very good signing imo. An underrated signing, it's not a big splash but it's just the right move to take advantage of FA.

Dam8610
05-07-2008, 04:53 AM

I think he's finished.

Rhodes played great in the playoffs because in the playoffs was when the team FINALLY started using Addai and Rhodes the way they should've been all year long, with Addai getting the starter's load, and Rhodes getting the backup load. If they make it about a 70/30 split, that will be excellent.

Geo
05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Colts sign runningback Dominic Rhodes to a one-year, $650K contract. (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080507/SPORTS03/80507044/1004/RSS02)

Not Dom's biggest fan, but at that contract and given what he can potentially offer to the team, it's a great signing.

UKfan
05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Can't argue with a contract like that.

MaxV
05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah, that's dirt cheap.

I'm still hoping Hart and Simpson make the team instead, but giving Dom a shot at that price is worth it.

IndyColtScout
05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that's dirt cheap.

I'm still hoping Hart and Simpson make the team instead, but giving Dom a shot at that price is worth it.

IMO the Colts should IR Simpson & Garcon. That would allow us to keep them, without risking cutting them to get them on the PS.

Geo
05-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, they would have to be injured to get on the IR, first of all. I wouldn't wish injury on either guy.

Also, being on the IR counts in terms of an accrued NFL season, which would make them one season closer to free agency. Whereas a guy can be on the practice squad all year but that doesn't account for an accrued NFL season, ex. last year was Devin Aromashodu's first NFL season.

But as you say, if they were on IR, they could attend all the meetings (not practice though) and not be poached by another team despite not being on the 53-man roster. That said, if the players want to and feel they are healthy/can play, they and their agents can push for an injury settlement and then be waived, able to sign with other teams who want them.

Which is what happened with DeDe Dorsey last season, the Colts put him on IR, but he and the team reached an injury settlement as Dorsey was going to heal up, was waived, and had a few teams interested in him including the Bengals, who originally signed him as an UDFA in 07.

Here's a good recap (http://ten.scout.com/a.z?s=120&p=2&c=676176):
This year, with Rhodes now in Oakland, Dorsey was the odds-on favorite to be Addai's tandem partner. As training camp and the preseason progressed, Dorsey battled newcomers Kenton Keith and Clifton Dawson. But during the team's last preseason game, he was hobbled by a toe injury.

That's when things got really interesting for Dorsey and the Colts.

The team opted to put him on the waiver wire with an injury designation and then moved him to the injured reserve list, effectively ending his season. After consulting with a doctor, Dorsey opted for an injury settlement instead and was waived so he could play elsewhere this year.

"The doctor told me I should be running and able to tryout for teams in two weeks or less," Dorsey told Scout.com.

Since hitting the open market, his first NFL employer -- the Cincinnati Bengals -- have expressed interest in seeing him workout as soon as he's back to full speed. If they add Dorsey to their roster, they will have dealt a double-blow to the Colts after also claiming Clifton Dawson -- a young rookie Indianapolis had hoped to put on their practice squad this year -- on their roster.

So I don't think cheating the system, while beneficial for the Colts, is very possible.

IndyColtScout
05-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Well, they would have to be injured to get on the IR, first of all. I wouldn't wish injury on either guy.

Also, being on the IR counts in terms of an accrued NFL season, which would make them one season closer to free agency. Whereas a guy can be on the practice squad all year but that doesn't account for an accrued NFL season, ex. last year was Devin Aromashodu's first NFL season.

But as you say, if they were on IR, they could attend all the meetings (not practice though) and not be poached by another team despite not being on the 53-man roster. That said, if the players want to and feel they are healthy/can play, they and their agents can push for an injury settlement and then be waived, able to sign with other teams who want them.

Which is what happened with DeDe Dorsey last season, the Colts put him on IR, but he and the team reached an injury settlement as Dorsey was going to heal up, was waived, and had a few teams interested in him including the Bengals, who originally signed him as an UDFA in 07.

Here's a good recap (http://ten.scout.com/a.z?s=120&p=2&c=676176):

So I don't think cheating the system, while beneficial for the Colts, is very possible.

So lets just talk hypothetically. You think that Simpson/Garcon will make the 53 man roster? I think one of the two could. Not sure either will for sure. I'de rather IR them and lose a year on their contract, than cut them and leave for another football team. Wouldn't you rather do the same? Antonio Smith & Roy Hall both got IRed last season, but I know that neither had season ending injuries. Just like the DeDe article you posted, the doc said he would be good to go in a few weeks. IR is a great way to stash a developmental player. Yes, they may seek a settlement, but I'de be willing to take that risk.

Geo
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't know, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, to see who the best 53 are to make the roster.

Especially what looks to be a big competition for the #6 WR spot between Courtney Roby, and rookies Garcon and Samuel Giguere. I like all those guys and of course I definitely like Aromashodu and Hall.

Do I think the Colts could risk putting Garcon and Simpson on the practice squad? I do, it's not the easiest thing to pick a guy up mid-season, remember anyone signed off another team's practice squad has to be signed to the active roster. The Colts took that chance with DeDe Dorsey in 2006, keeping him on the active roster all season, but ultimately he didn't play at all that season except maybe special teams.

Giguere, I'm not sure, because maybe he decides to go to the CFL and play immediately (not sure about the differences in pay).

Geo
05-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Funny article on Rhodes' return to the Colts (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/SPORTS03/805080336/1100)

Geo
05-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Interesting info courtesy of the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2008/05/25/possibilities_may_be_limitless/?page=2) (as opposed to the chimps at the Indy Star):

Homing in on Indianapolis?
After having his final season in New England end prematurely because of a foot injury, outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin is now healthy, and if things work out financially, he wouldn't mind suiting up for his hometown Indianapolis Colts. Colvin met with Colts coach Tony Dungy last month and passed a physical, and Dungy relayed last week that he was impressed with Colvin. The Colts are interested if the finances can be worked out, as Colvin would be a pure pass-rushing defensive end in their 4-3 scheme.
I would very much like the addition of Colvin, if it happens.

Geo
06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
The Colts have traded Luke Lawton to the Eagles for a 2009 conditional draft pick. (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/SPORTS02/80606033)

June 6, 2008

Eagles acquire FB Lawton from Colts

By GEOFF MOSHER
The News Journal

PHILADELPHIA — The Eagles and Colts made a trade today that brings fifth-year fullback Luke Lawton to the Eagles in exchange for a 2009 conditional draft pick.

Lawton, who played at Division I-AA McNeese State, played 11 games for Indianapolis last season, rushing five times for 13 yards and catching four passes for 29 yards and a touchdown.

He immediately becomes the Eagles' most experienced fullback and will challenge Jason Davis and Dan Klecko for the starting job. Davis, entering his third season, spent last year on the practice squad after going on injured reserve his rookie year.

Klecko, entering his sixth season, is trying to make the transition from defensive tackle to fullback, a position he played occasionally with Indianapolis and New England.

The Eagles are the sixth different team to sign Lawson since the Bills signed the New Iberia, La., native in 2004 as a rookie free agent. He spent time of the practice squads of the Bills (twice), Giants, Falcons, Jets and Colts before finally seeing his first game action last season.

Rotoworld says it will be a 7th round pick if Lawton makes the final 53-man roster (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3418), which may be unlikely considering the backs they already have - Westbrook and newly-acquired Lorenzo Booker are locks, they'll have to pick one of Buckhalter and Moats anyways, and it's too soon to pull any plug on Tony Hunt even if he's disappointed a bit. So that's four backs right there, plus they signed Dan Klecko this offseason for the purpose of playing him at fullback.

But hey, at least the Colts have a chance at getting something for him. I didn't think he was going to make the final 53-man roster, given the depth needed and on the defense especially. I hope he does great with the Eagles, go Luke! :D

redviper311
06-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I think this was an excellent move by the Colts front office. With the acquisition of Dom and Mike Hart and the fact we play with 2 TE or 3 WR sets we really did not have a roster spot for Luke. I really hope it works out for Luke in Philly and I wish him the best of luck.

MaxV
06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Ed Johnson is planning to be in better shape and thinks he can make more plays in the backfield. (http://colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=b55b5de2-78df-469d-8628-345ba60d4f80)

I honestly believe that both Johnson and Pitcock should be better pass-rushers then what they were last year.

I'm not even gonna mention Dawson. It goes without saying that he should be able to get more sacks. :)

Geo
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I love his candid appraisal of himself and his desire to get better. <3 Big Cat.

Geo
07-05-2008, 11:48 AM
The Colts claim offensive lineman Doug Datish off waivers from the Atlanta Falcons. (http://ind.scout.com/2/766365.html)

Datish, a very good prospect out of Ohio State, was a 6th round pick of the Falcons in the 2007 Draft. It's interesting that they waived him after only a year but maybe he'll fare better with the Colts. Or at least provide a player for the second team OL in preseason play, perhaps.

UKfan
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Hmmm, you'd certainly have to say that it's an uphill battle for him to make the roster, but it's good to get some competition in all the same.

Geo
07-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Thankfully, a bit of good news (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080717/SPORTS03/807170439/1100):

Freeney progressing

Defensive end Dwight Freeney reports he has experienced no setbacks in his comeback from Lisfranc surgery on his left foot that forced him to miss the final eight games of the 2007 season.

"I'm doing everything I used to do: spinning and twisting and pushing, all of that,'' Freeney said Wednesday.

"I'm getting work on all of that. I'm right on time.''

Freeney expects to open training camp on the physically unable to perform list as the Colts take a cautious approach with his rehabilitation.

As for the regular-season opener, he added: "I'll be ready to go without a doubt.''

UKfan
07-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Good, losing the pass rush last year is what killed us, hopefully with a fit Freeney, and drafting Marcus, our pass rush will be better than ever.

Geo
07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Colts usually wait until the last week before training camp to sign their rookie draft picks, so we should expect that to happen in the next number of days.

Please post any links/stories for when they do.

The '08 Draft class:
2-59 Mike Pollak C Arizona St.
3-93 Philip Wheeler ILB Georgia Tech
4-127 Jacob Tamme TE Kentucky
5-161 Marcus Howard DE Georgia
6-196 Tom Santi TE Virginia
6-201 Steve Justice C Wake Forest
6-202 Mike Hart RB Michigan
6-205 Pierre Garcon WR Mt. Union
7-236 Jamey Richard C Buffalo

Geo
07-22-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=2017430e-1327-4482-89f7-9af74fb39cfc

GARCON SIGNS
By John Oehser - Colts.com

Colts Sign One of Four Sixth-Round Draft Selections

INDIANAPOLIS – This past April, Pierre Garcon became the first player from Mount Union (Pa.) College drafted in the NFL’s modern area.

On Tuesday, he became the first of the Colts’ nine 2008 NFL Draft selections to sign.

Garcon, a wide receiver and one of the Colts’ four sixth-round selections in the April 2006 NFL Draft, has signed with the Colts, the club announced on Tuesday morning. Duration and terms were not disclosed.

Originally from West Palm Beach, Fla., Garcon began his college career at Norwich (Vt.) College, earning first-team Empire 8 honors as a freshman by catching 44 passes for 1,017 yards and 13 touchdowns.

He then transferred to Mount Union, where he caught 202 passes for 3,363 yards and 47 touchdowns in three seasons for a four-year total of 246 receptions for 4,280 yards and 60 touchdowns. His 47 touchdowns at Mount Union were an Ohio Athletic Conference record.

As a senior, he caught 67 passes for 955 yards and 14 touchdowns, earning All-OAC honors for a third consecutive season.

Thankfully one of these guys has an agent who can get a deal done. Hopefully the others start following in suit.

Geo
07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnWmKYf6ZoKgSUf6E6UDwtJDubYF?slug=ap-colts-manning&prov=ap&type=lgns

The optimist in Dungy also anticipates a rash of rookie signings before Thursday’s midafternoon reporting deadline.

On Tuesday, sixth-round pick Pierre Garcon, a receiver, became the first of Indy’s nine draft picks to sign. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The Colts also appear close to an agreement with their top pick, offensive lineman Mike Pollak, who was taken late in the second round.

“Things are going smoothly and we expect him to be in camp on time,” said Ken Zuckerman, Pollak’s agent.

RagingColt
07-22-2008, 10:40 PM
This is nothing new with Polian & Co. They always wait till the last few hours to get players signed. It's really no big deal for the Colts. I'd suspect all will be signed before camp opens.

redviper311
07-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Just in from AP press....

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/23/sports/FBN-Colts-Rookies.php

Colts scramble to sign draft picks before camp
The Associated Press
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS: On the eve of training camp, the Colts agreed to terms with five draft picks including their top choice, offensive lineman Mike Pollak, in a dash to get all nine draft choices into camp on time. Three other rookies remained unsigned.

Pollak agreed to his deal with Indianapolis late Wednesday afternoon but had not yet signed the contract and terms were not disclosed. Pollak's agent, Ken Zuckerman, confirmed the deal in a text message to The Associated Press but was not immediately available for comment after boarding a plane.

The Colts also reached agreements with fourth-round pick Jacob Tamme, a tight end from Kentucky; fifth-round pick Marcus Howard, a defensive end out of Georgia; and two sixth-round picks — Mike Hart, a running back from Michigan, and Steve Justice, an offensive lineman from Wake Forest.

All of the players are expected to check in at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology on Thursday when the Colts report to camp. Practices begin Friday.

"We knew all along we would work something out," said Howard's agent, Brian Ayrault. "He wanted to be in camp on time, I wanted him to be in camp on time and we were fighting for the best deal we could get."

The deal was good enough for Howard, a college linebacker whom the Colts project as a pass-rushing defensive end. Ayrault would not divulge financial terms of the four-year deal, citing a confidentiality clause in the contract.

Pollak, a second-round pick and No. 59 overall, is expected to compete for the starting guard spot that was vacated when Jake Scott signed with Tennessee in free agency. Scott and tight end Ben Utecht, who left as a free agent for Cincinnati, are the only starters missing from last year's team that went 13-3 in 2007, winning its fifth straight AFC South title.

The Colts' other starting guard, Ryan Lilja, is expected to open training camp on the physically unable to perform list, giving Pollak and Justice - both college centers - more opportunities to learn the Colts' offensive system.

Pollak wanted to get his deal done so he could have more time to make the position switch.

"Right now, that's the biggest issue - adjusting to the (guard) techniques," Pollak said during one of the team's minicamps last month. "I'm playing good, but that's been the biggest focus other than the playbook."

The whirlwind negotiations also included announcements from the agents representing Hart, Michigan's career rushing leader, and Tamme, who is expected to help replace Utecht. Both also agreed to four-year deals.

"He's ready to get to work, the team is eager to have him and the Colts were very fair," said Bill Johnson, Tamme's agent.

Hart adds depth to a backfield that already includes the reunited Super Bowl-winning tandem of Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes. Addai went to the Pro Bowl last year, his first season as a full-time starter. Rhodes re-signed with the Colts after spending one season in Oakland.

Team president Bill Polian, however, ignored Hart's poor time in the 40-yard dash and selected Hart late in the sixth round in hopes he would be as productive with the Colts as he was at Michigan.

"I'm excited to have my turn and begin camp tomorrow," Hart said in a statement released by his agent, Lamont Smith.

Until this week, the Colts had not signed any of their draft picks. Receiver Pierre Garcon, a sixth-round choice, became the first signee Tuesday when he agreed to a four-year deal.

The plethora of announcements Wednesday was expected by Colts coach Tony Dungy, who said Tuesday that he expected everyone to report on time.

But the Colts will not open camp at full strength.

Two-time league MVP Peyton Manning and Bob Sanders, the 2007 defensive player of the year, are expected to be placed on the PUP list later this week after having offseason surgery. The Colts also plan to put former sacks champion Dwight Freeney and linebacker Tyjuan Hagler, both starters, on the PUP list along with rookie tight end Tom Santi, another sixth-round pick in this year's draft.

Santi is one of the three rookies who has not signed.

All are expected to be healthy for the regular-season opener Sept. 7 against Chicago.

Plus, the Colts are still trying to lock up deals with linebacker Philip Wheeler, a third-rounder, and offensive lineman Jamey Richard, a seventh-rounder.

Geo
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I edited your post viper to include the updated AP article with more signings. Great news, the Colts have everyone signed so far except for Wheeler, Santi, and Richard. Hopefully those get done soon within the next 24 hours.

diabsoule
07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Colts | Justice agrees to terms
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:49:08 -0700

Michael Marot, of The Associated Press, reports the Indianapolis Colts agreed to terms with C Steve Justice Wednesday, July 23. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Colts | Hart agrees to terms
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:47:20 -0700

Michael Marot, of The Associated Press, reports the Indianapolis Colts agreed to terms with RB Mike Hart Wednesday, July 23. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Colts | Howard agrees to terms
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:46:57 -0700

Michael Marot, of The Associated Press, reports the Indianapolis Colts agreed to terms with DL Marcus Howard Wednesday, July 23. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Colts | Tamme agrees to terms
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:44:57 -0700

Michael Marot, of The Associated Press, reports the Indianapolis Colts agreed to terms with TE Jacob Tamme Wednesday, July 23. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Colts | Pollak agrees to terms
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:44:17 -0700

Updating previous reports, Michael Marot, of The Associated Press, reports the Indianapolis Colts agreed to terms with OG Mike Pollak Wednesday, July 23. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Pollak is expected to compete for a starting guard spot.

Geo
07-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Per PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/23/quinn-gray-signs-with-colts/) (so definitely take this with a grain of salt until it's actually confirmed), a league source says the Colts have signed former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Quinn Gray, who was recently cut by the Texans.

I really hope the Quinn Gray acquisition is true, I'd love to add him to the roster and see if he could push Sorgi for the back-up job. He'll play behind a makeshift, poor offensive line in the preseason, but maybe he can use his mobility to move out of the pocket and find Garcon and Burgess deep. As well as find Hall and Giguere on the intermediate routes abusing defensive backs.

Gray started the Week 17 game against the Texans, in Houston, last season as the Jags had already clinched everything. Check out his highlights from that game, (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80594e8f) where he delivered a 25/39 passing for 302 yards and 4 touchdowns performance.

Also, there is unconfirmed word in that same article that the Colts might additionally sign former New York Giants quarterback Jared Lorenzen, also recently cut. Cue wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Lorenzen):

Because of his size he has a collection of colorful nicknames, including "Quarter(got)back",[2] "Hefty Lefty",[3] "The Pillsbury Throwboy",[4] "The Abominable Throwman", [5] "J.Load",[6] "Round Mound of Touchdown",[6]"BBQ (Big Beautiful Quarterback)"[7] "Battleship Lorenzen",[8] "Butterball",[9], "Lord Of The Ring-Dings"[10], and "He Ate Me".[11]
LOL times one hundred.

I remember J-Load slinging the crap out of the ball around when he played at Kentucky in a spread offense, but obviously hasn't shown much with the Giants other than some preseason play in the last few years.

MaxV
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Are you sure they aren't signing Lorenzen to be the NT? He's about the size of most of our DTs, if not bigger. :)

I like these moves.

RagingColt
07-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Let the QB derby begin! lol

Indystar.com
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – The Indianapolis Colts have added to their depth at quarterback by signing Quinn Gray.

The former Jacksonville Jaguars backup signed a one-year contract with the Colts on Wednesday, according to his agent.

“This is a fresh start for Quinn and I’m confident he will take full advantage of it,’’ agent Drew Rosenhaus said this morning. “He’s getting an opportunity to work in a great offense with a great coaching staff.’’

Gray, 29, appeared in 11 games, four as a starter, with Jacksonville the past three seasons. He’s 2-2 as a starter.

A report by the NFL Network said the Colts also have signed quarterback Jared Lorenzen.

The Colts have considered adding a quarterback to their roster since starter Peyton Manning underwent surgery July 14 on his left knee to remove an infected bursa sac. He is expected to miss at least the first few weeks of training camp. Players report today to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

While Manning recovers, backup Jim Sorgi will run the No. 1 offense.

If the Lorenzen signing is true, then where does he fit into this mess at? Will the Colts uncharacteristically carry 3 QBs into week 1 of the regular season or is this just a band aid fix to get us through pre season?

Geo
07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Rotoworld is giving notice (http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3481) that Adam Shefter is reporting that the Colts will sign Jared Lorenzen today.

That currently makes 5 quarterbacks on the roster - Jim Sorgi, Quinn Gray, Josh Betts, rookie Adam Tafralis, and Jared Lorenzen - which seems at least one too many even for the preseason. There is a roster limit, I believe it's 80 players right now, so the Colts could very well be releasing a player or two to make room for Gray and Lorenzen. Maybe even a quarterback, Betts or Tafralis, is released.

MaxV
07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Acctually Geo, that makes it 6. There is also that 6'-6" with rocket, laser arm one.

Believe it or not, I'm rooting for J-Load for #2.

Geo
07-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Heh, I meant at the current moment practicing.

Besides, the Colts waived quarterback Josh Betts and guard Mike Elgin (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h1sy5S0Ml_J8z4LCmpnwR6NLJy-gD924HGA80) today, so that is five quarterbacks on the roster. ;)

Geo
07-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Colts announce that all nine of their draft picks have been signed (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=b5bbecae-1d5e-4a64-9901-65eec83f033b), on the eve of training camp. Good stuff, and a lot of four-year deals too I noticed which helps remove restricted free agency from the equation (although maybe that's not always good thing, like the Jason David situation in getting an immediate pick in return as opposed to waiting for a comp pick).

Geo
07-25-2008, 01:56 PM
The Colts also have waived rookie quarterback Tafralis, kicker Adam Crossett and wide receiver Rudy Burgess. (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/SPORTS03/80725048/1100)

Sort of strange that both Betts and Tafralis have been cut. Wonder if the Colts have an eye on keeping them somehow, be it practice squad (at least for Tafralis) or otherwise.

I was looking forward to Burgess competing though, that's a bit of a bummer.