PDA

View Full Version : CIS Schools to join NCAA

Billingsley26
01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/293918
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/293836

Very, very interesting. Not surprised that this has finally come out. There is most of the mention of the CIS joining D2, but there is talk about joining D1.

Patriots16-0
01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
"While details still need to be worked out, which could include competing in some Division I sports, administrators at York, Toronto and Ryerson universities say the opportunity could benefit students in sports like track and field and swimming."

No football?

Canadian_kid16
01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
"While details still need to be worked out, which could include competing in some Division I sports, administrators at York, Toronto and Ryerson universities say the opportunity could benefit students in sports like track and field and swimming."

No football?

we play completely different styles of football

Billingsley26
01-15-2008, 05:44 PM

No football?

we play completely different styles of football

Well, yes and no. Simon Fraser played in the NAIA before moving to D2, and they obviouly played american rules. I think they would look at football, but I would be surprised if they played football at the D1 level. I would imagine that the top end schools (Laval, Manitoba, St. Mary's, Laurier, Western etc.) would play D2 schools.

But as far as swimming and track go, I think it would be easier for them to compete at higher levels because the playing field is much more level than it is in football.

Making the switch from Canadian rules to American is not hard. Going the other way is much harder. I have made the switch, and any other Canadian now playing in the states has agreed. Giving up the "give one yard" rule makes it much easier, and any quick lineman in Canada, would easier look quicker in the states. American rules allow DB's an LB's to dam near harras WR. You are able to get your hands on them as long as the ball is no in the air, where as in Canada, it is just about at the point where you ust look at the WR and your gonna get a flag.

Th transition is easier to go from CIS to NCAA, and I would love to see this when it happens. I think this is great for the CIS. And I think teams like the ones I listed above could compete and probably do pretty well. I think that a lot of talent is vastly overlooked in Canada, and this could show it.

Canadian_kid16
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I heard that school in British Columbia could get into the FCS for football in the near future...that would be so cool

etk
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Making the switch from Canadian rules to American is not hard. Going the other way is much harder. I have made the switch, and any other Canadian now playing in the states has agreed. Giving up the "give one yard" rule makes it much easier, and any quick lineman in Canada, would easier look quicker in the states. American rules allow DB's an LB's to dam near harras WR. You are able to get your hands on them as long as the ball is no in the air, where as in Canada, it is just about at the point where you ust look at the WR and your gonna get a flag.

Th transition is easier to go from CIS to NCAA, and I would love to see this when it happens. I think this is great for the CIS. And I think teams like the ones I listed above could compete and probably do pretty well. I think that a lot of talent is vastly overlooked in Canada, and this could show it.

That's not necessarily true. Take me for example...I play defensive halfback in Canada, but I don't really have a true position in American football. I'd either be an undersized OLB or a SS with poor instincts. There's nothing more confusing for me than lining up 8-12 yards deep and backpedaling as a read step...it throws off my game.

Canadian DBs can harass receivers. The problem is you have to initiate contact off the snap, and maintain it throughout the play. Most Canadian DBs play loose man head-up, and I agree that it's a very difficult coverage to play. You can't make contact in the CIS if you line up 5 yards back.

Billingsley26
01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
That's not necessarily true. Take me for example...I play defensive halfback in Canada, but I don't really have a true position in American football. I'd either be an undersized OLB or a SS with poor instincts. There's nothing more confusing for me than lining up 8-12 yards deep and backpedaling as a read step...it throws off my game.

Canadian DBs can harass receivers. The problem is you have to initiate contact off the snap, and maintain it throughout the play. Most Canadian DBs play loose man head-up, and I agree that it's a very difficult coverage to play. You can't make contact in the CIS if you line up 5 yards back.

Well, someone playing half back, I would see playtin FS in American, the only thing holding once back would be speed. In a sense, FS is similar to HB because both have some freedom as to where they lineup and how they make the plays.

The difference in American rules is that DB's are able get their hands on the WR, as long as the ball is not in the air. This is in college anyways. I would prefer the American rules as opposed to Canadian. To be honest, I dont mind the rules of the OV though, where they use a mix.

Billingsley26
01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
I heard that school in British Columbia could get into the FCS for football in the near future...that would be so cool

That would be very intersting. And I can tell you that they would be the hotspot for all Canadian talent. I am assuming that you are talking about Simon Fraser.

They would take a good while before they became something. This is off my knowldge of them, which isnt that great. It would still be great to have them join FCS.

Wootylicous
01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I heard UBC will be playing NCAA D-II football. I really don't think this is a good move for UBC... The best team in the country: Rouge et Or denied that they are in discussion to join the ncaa.

Gi-15
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
They are also talking about D-1 for hockey teams, don't know if thats a good thing. The CHL could suffer from this. But I think there is enough hockey talent in Canada to compensate.

I played HB in CEGEP, and the thing closer to it is SS, because when other team are playing with a TE, you got to cover him, in fact you are most of the time responsible for the 2nd man , be it a slotback, a TE or a rb coming out of the backfield. You're covering the flat when you're in zone most of the time.
Canadian FS are the mostly like American FS, they get the middle zone in 3-deep and in man to man. Most of the time, they cover people 1-on-1 on blitzes.

Laval's Rouge et Or have nothing to gain by going to the NCAA, they have a solid fan base who expect them to dominate Quebec's Conference and compete for a NC every year, which they do. Each and every year they get the best recruits in Qc, some good one from Ontario, from the west and even south the border. It's a VERY big thing in Quebec city and around. They sure got the money to travel in the US, this is not the question, each year they do their spring camp in Orlando. Die-hard football fans would love to see them compete against US competition, but there really is nothing to gain for the school or the Tanguay family, the school's principal sponsers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wootylicous
01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
They are also talking about D-1 for hockey teams, don't know if thats a good thing. The CHL could suffer from this. But I think there is enough hockey talent in Canada to compensate.

I played HB in CEGEP, and the thing closer to it is SS, because when other team are playing with a TE, you got to cover him, in fact you are most of the time responsible for the 2nd man , be it a slotback, a TE or a rb coming out of the backfield. You're covering the flat when you're in zone most of the time.
Canadian FS are the mostly like American FS, they get the middle zone in 3-deep and in man to man. Most of the time, they cover people 1-on-1 on blitzes.

Laval's Rouge et Or have nothing to gain by going to the NCAA, they have a solid fan base who expect them to dominate Quebec's Conference and compete for a NC every year, which they do. Each and every year they get the best recruits in Qc, some good one from Ontario, from the west and even south the border. It's a VERY big thing in Quebec city and around. They sure got the money to travel in the US, this is not the question, each year they do their spring camp in Orlando. Die-hard football fans would love to see them compete against US competition, but there really is nothing to gain for the school or the Tanguay family, the school's principal sponsers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've talked to some Laval coaches and they will not going to the NCAA.

jballa838
01-16-2008, 10:49 PM
are they gonna call it the INCAA now?
(Inter-national Collegiate Athletic Association)

JT Jag
01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
are they gonna call it the INCAA now?
(Inter-national Collegiate Athletic Association)I like the NACAA, still the NCAA for short.

(North American Collegiate Athletic Association)

Billingsley26
01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
So my Dad (take what you want from it, but hes heavily into the CIS, particulary the OUA, and he is inthe know on many things) says that Laval is likely to leave CIS and join the NCAA D2. I know Woot_88 sent me the link from RDS about LAval not leaving, but apparently this is pretty new stuff, and he stand by it. So we'll see.