PDA

View Full Version : Vilma.... can he stay a jet?

DannyMaher
01-15-2008, 04:40 PM
This is my first post ever on this site, and I hope I don't get ripped apart. After reading other posts I probably will, but here we go anyway.

Obviously it would be great if we could keep Vilma a productive Jet player, but is it possible? He does not fit in as a MLB in the Jets system, but maybe he could be moved to OLB where we are lacking. Victor Hobson is not a stellar player, and I just would like to know what keeps Vilma from playing there?

Also, are there no schemes the Jets could employ to keep Vilma productive (substitue him in on certain downs and positions) ?

Finally, if we do trade him, can we get a first round pick for him. I think considering his age and ability level, a top 20 pick is possible, but maybe not.

Any thoughts?

Crickett
01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I think Vilma does need to stay a Jet and I think if he is playing behind Shaun Rogers next year (as a Jet), then the only person who is going to stop him from going to the pro bowl is David Harris.

I also think Vilma does need to stay as a Jet because I don't think his trade value is very high. Like us and other players, fans only want Vilma if he's going to come cheap. Like third rounder cheap. And considering his injury and his productivity the last two years in the 3-4, I tend to think that teams will be looking for that too.

Not to mention that if the Jets trade Vilma, they most likely need to draft a replacement. And aside from Laurinaitis who would require a higher pick than the Jets are going to get for Vilma, are any of the linebackers in this years draft going to be better than Vilma? In the short term or long term?

Edit: Ah crud, now I'm going to need to find something else to make my thousandth post. Hmmmmm.

thetedginnshow
01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Actually, Laurinaitis isn't coming out. It's hard to say in the 3-4 though, because you could end up finding a gem in the later rounds that would have otherwise not been that great. But if we couldn't get a relatively high pick for him, as in late first or early second, it just really wouldn't make sense to trade him in my mind. I don't know. I like Vilma though. Maybe he'll come back bulked up.

gio
01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
i would love vilma to stay a jet, but they are def. going to shop him around. as far as a draft pick, i'll say now that he is banged up some needy team may give up a late 2nd early 3rd pick, because they know that he is a FA the year after that and the jets will pretty much have to settle for the best offer. what concerns me is that fact that even though harris is a beast right now, who are the jets going to sign once we part ways most likely with hobson and barton? i say keep vilma and offer a huge contract to lance briggs. that way if vilma walks in 09 we will have insurance. if we can draft a stud NT, great. that will free up the MLBs and maybe Vilma can be Vilma again.

BroadwayJoe10
01-15-2008, 10:04 PM
This is my first post ever on this site, and I hope I don't get ripped apart. After reading other posts I probably will, but here we go anyway.

Obviously it would be great if we could keep Vilma a productive Jet player, but is it possible? He does not fit in as a MLB in the Jets system, but maybe he could be moved to OLB where we are lacking. Victor Hobson is not a stellar player, and I just would like to know what keeps Vilma from playing there?

Also, are there no schemes the Jets could employ to keep Vilma productive (substitue him in on certain downs and positions) ?

Finally, if we do trade him, can we get a first round pick for him. I think considering his age and ability level, a top 20 pick is possible, but maybe not.

Any thoughts?

No, not ripped on here, good post. The biggest knock of vilma playing in the 34 is that he doesn't have the size and strength to shed the lineman who come to block him, his inability will be exxagerated moreso as an OLB. The OLB has to have considerable size and strength, becuase they will be pass rushing the OTs in order to get to the QB. So, basically the only spot in the 34 he can play is ILB, which he would be a lot more affective in if we had a dline that could occupy double teams and keep blockers off of him. This is why most of us really would like to see us trade for shaun rogers, he would not only be a huge upgrade from Dewayne Robertson, but he would increase the play of our linebackers that much more. So having a solid NT has sort of a trickle down effect.

I would personally like to keep hobson and move him inside, where i think he is a better fit. Also, vilmas trade value will be hard to tell until we know the exact procedure he went through and his expected recovery. If the same health, he is a first rounder.

GET LOOSE
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
I also think Vilma needs to stay...as good as harris is he and Vilma would be even better...Vilma is to good to give up and if we can get a monster at NT then him and harris would burst through and both have 100 tackel seasons every year....NT=VILMA AT HIS BEST.

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Looks like the answer is going to be most likely not. I fully expect a number of teams to want him ie. Saints, Bengals, Bills (although i doubt we give him in the division) Lions maybe Broncos. I think the fact that there are so many teams that may want him, we may be able to get a 2nd for him and i fully expect it.

"The Jets have given ILB Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself for a potential trade.
Vilma is coming off knee surgery, but was a Pro Bowl alternate his second season, and just doesn't fit well into Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. He'll seek a long-term deal with a team that would then have to work out a trade with the Jets. Reuniting with former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson in Jacksonville is a possibility. There has also been talk in St. Louis of the Rams sending the No. 2 overall pick to the Jets for the No. 6 pick and Vilma, though that seems unlikely. Feb. 22 - 9:09 am et

Young Nasty Man
02-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Looks like the answer is going to be most likely not. I fully expect a number of teams to want him ie. Saints, Bengals, Bills (although i doubt we give him in the division) Lions maybe Broncos. I think the fact that there are so many teams that may want him, we may be able to get a 2nd for him and i fully expect it.

"The Jets have given ILB Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself for a potential trade.
Vilma is coming off knee surgery, but was a Pro Bowl alternate his second season, and just doesn't fit well into Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. He'll seek a long-term deal with a team that would then have to work out a trade with the Jets. Reuniting with former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson in Jacksonville is a possibility. There has also been talk in St. Louis of the Rams sending the No. 2 overall pick to the Jets for the No. 6 pick and Vilma, though that seems unlikely. Feb. 22 - 9:09 am et

I can seriously only see this possible trade going through for Chris Long and I really dont see it happening because St Louis would ask for more 4 moves is a lot and for a guy who was hurt all season? I dont know. It would be hard to part ways with Vilma but Chris Long is a stud and thats if he makes it past Tuna which I dont think it is likely. Personally, I feel we have to trade down inless Chris Long or Gholston is there. None of these guys are true NTs and I really dont see those guys succeeding at that position so I really feel that we have enough holes that we have to trade down at this point

TimD
02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Having the number 2 pick would be great. Really there are 3 guys that fit our system and have enough talent to be picked in the top 6 and that's both Longs and Gholston. We'll be able to get a RT later so its down to C Long and Gholston. I also think we'll be able to get a quality OLB later (Crable or another tweener) so C Long would be the pick.

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Having the number 2 pick would be great. Really there are 3 guys that fit our system and have enough talent to be picked in the top 6 and that's both Longs and Gholston. We'll be able to get a RT later so its down to C Long and Gholston. I also think we'll be able to get a quality OLB later (Crable or another tweener) so C Long would be the pick.

Why would we get C.long and another OLB?? C.long would be playing OLB and than drafting another OLB would be putting far too much money into the position what with bryan thomas not going anywhere.

thetedginnshow
02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I highly doubt Long would be playing OLB.

But in any case, if this trade kept Gholston out of the Rams' hands (provided he slipped past Miami), I'd be all for it. I can't imagine Gholston impressing and them not wanting to take him, though, but you never know.

Anyways, people generally overrate a player's worth on this forum compared to what they actually are gotten for IRL, so I'll imagine that the best we get is a 3rd rounder. I'd much rather prefer a top player coming back in return, but either way.

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I highly doubt Long would be playing OLB.

But in any case, if this trade kept Gholston out of the Rams' hands (provided he slipped past Miami), I'd be all for it. I can't imagine Gholston impressing and them not wanting to take him, though, but you never know.

Anyways, people generally overrate a player's worth on this forum compared to what they actually are gotten for IRL, so I'll imagine that the best we get is a 3rd rounder. I'd much rather prefer a top player coming back in return, but either way.

That's exactly what he will be playing and all recent reports point to it, he just isn't big enough to play 34 DE. Al groh came out and said that his best position is going to be OLB in the role of a mike vrabel. He is supposed to be dropping down to play in the 260's, which will increase his speed and agility.

I think people do tend to overrate his ability, but people also overrate the severity of any type of surgery because they don't know anything about it. The medical field has come a long way and this type of relatively non-invasive surgeries have a near perfect success rate that the athlete will come back 100%. Bone chip removal is not a career-threatening surgery and the most likely reason why they had him get it so early was so that he'd be 100% prior to the season for a trade.

He isn't an elite MLB and he never was anything like a ray lewis. He was a very good mlb who used his speed and insticnts to make plays on the ball and rack up 100+ tackles, but he wasn't constantly in the backfield and reaking havoc. I said it on another forum that if he's traded he will get atleast a 2nd and i wouldn't be surprised to see jacksonville give their first or a 2nd and something else, because theres no way i would take a dan connor or someone over vilma in a 43.

NFLCommander
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Vilma has one year left on his contract, so if he were traded the team taking him would need to have a contract ready and hime willing to take it. My personal opinion would be to either trade him or let him go after next season. He doesn't fir the 3-4 at all and it has really hurt his production. Vilma is an MLB that needs space to make plays and the 3-4 keeps player space down. He really would be better off in a sceme like he was in before with Herm Edwards where the d-line occupies the o-line and lets the LBs make plays.

thetedginnshow
02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
That's exactly what he will be playing and all recent reports point to it, he just isn't big enough to play 34 DE. Al groh came out and said that his best position is going to be OLB in the role of a mike vrabel. He is supposed to be dropping down to play in the 260's, which will increase his speed and agility.

I really wouldn't be a fan of that, but then again, I don't think he's really suited for the 3-4 regardless. Then again, if he's there for the Rams, they're almost certainly taking him, so this should be a moot point. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the days to come, though.

Gang Green
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I doubt this is a reasonable scenario but what about trading Vilma and a draft pick to the Falcons for Deangelo Hall? Revis and Hall would be a formindable duo.

BroadwayJoe10
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I doubt this is a reasonable scenario but what about trading Vilma and a draft pick to the Falcons for Deangelo Hall? Revis and Hall would be a formindable duo.

Personaly, I wouldn't like it. I do beleive he is a top 10 CB, but I hate his attitude and the huge contract he'll command. I saw him single-handedly lose a game for his team this year when he had two personal fouls within a minute or two towards the end of the game. I don't think he'd fit in well with our team, but ya never know.

I also don't like the contract he would command and I remain firm in my belief that we don't need anothe #1 corner opposite revis, but a quality #2 corner.

jetsman309
02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I think we should keep vilma and that trading him would be a huge mistake. If we keep him and have Vilma and Harris in the middle then both of them would be even better. We need to keep vilma and turn our attention to our biggest need NT. We cant be worrying about coles or vilma I think we should just give coles what he wants and keep vilma so that we could have one of the strongest LB's in the league

BroadwayJoe10
02-24-2008, 01:33 PM
I think we should keep vilma and that trading him would be a huge mistake. If we keep him and have Vilma and Harris in the middle then both of them would be even better. We need to keep vilma and turn our attention to our biggest need NT. We cant be worrying about coles or vilma I think we should just give coles what he wants and keep vilma so that we could have one of the strongest LB's in the league

The truth of the matter is that there aren't many NTs to be had, except for the possibility of Shaun Rogers. It seems as though the lions are interested in vilma and that a rogers vilma swap is a possibility. I too would like to see what vilma could do behind a good NT, but it doesn't seem like we'll have the opportunity. He is a very poor fit in the 34 and i know a lot of people love vilma, but he needs to play in a 43. Even if he plays next to harris, he will still have trouble shedding blockers and most likely not resign with us next year; we'd be foolish to sign him and he'd be foolish to not want to go elsewhere.

I don't think we need to give coles anymore money considering we already guaranteed him 11 mill over 2 years, which is impressive considering his injury history. He is not an elite reciever nor a #1 reciever and he's getting 5 mill per year already. He is just trying to get more money, which he has been know for doing.

I understand you may love both of these guys, most of us do, but you have to understand that vilma is not a good fit in the 34 defense and most likely never will be. And coles is a 30 year old, injury/concussion prone reciever who does not deserve a long term extension. A lot of people will say but he gives his heart and sole to the team and puts it on the line every game; this is very true, however he was getting paid extremely well to do so.

GET LOOSE
03-01-2008, 12:55 AM

yes yes and yes....this is what i have been saying 4 a while now.....vilma and harris would be so much better next 2 each other and a good NT like kris jenkins their.....its over now but mark my words we made a terrible, terrible mistake