PDA

View Full Version : Son of Ironhead

KaneMarko
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I know he's only a freshman and won't be draft eligible for a couple more years. But can some one tell me about Cameron Heyward? Didn't really notice him a whole lot until the Michigan game. I saw him kinda bull rush Jake Long back a couple yards on a couple occaisions.

I know it's early for comparisons but he's looks to be built a lot like Richard Seymour. His father commanded a lot of physical strength in his day. And it appears his son may as well.

BamaFalcon59
01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Son of Ironhead

Sounds like a comic book.

kwilk103
01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
he was sick when he was little

my mom was his nurse

icantackleclaret
01-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I think your Richard Seymour comparison is right on. I think he will play a DE in a 3-4. The kid is crazy strong. He is also quick, but not fast. He also seems to be pretty smart on the field (not counting the 15yd personal foul in the NC game). His upside is great and should turn into a high draft pick.

bored of education
01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Seymour? Hmmm interesting. I think John Randle. But Seymour I can sorta see it.

keylime_5
01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Starting DE as a true freshman on the #1 ranked defense. Not bad. is 6-6 and is a DE who can play DT just as well...will probably be around 300 lbs. his sophomore year, and from the moment I saw him make plays for us at the beginning of the year at tOSU, Richard Seymour popped in my head immediately. There really hasn't been a player so eerily similar to Seymour since Richard left Georgia. Heyward has the possiblity to be just as good a draft prospect as Richard too.

Gribble
01-16-2008, 09:33 PM
He was the guy who had the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the NC, right? That's a bad memory to have about a player... But I don't live in Big Ten country.

thetedginnshow
01-16-2008, 09:35 PM
He's a beast. Him and Lawrence Wilson, along with Robert Rose, will be a pretty good DE rotation come next year.

KaneMarko
01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Son of Ironhead

Sounds like a comic book.

LOL! Now that you mention it, it kinda does.

LonghornsLegend
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
He looked incredibly strong out there to be so young, and with the bloodlines that he has and his own measurables he looks like a sure fire 1st rd pick with a future in the nfl..ill certainly keep an eye out for him in the next few years when he should really start to blossom

KaneMarko
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I think your Richard Seymour comparison is right on. I think he will play a DE in a 3-4. The kid is crazy strong. He is also quick, but not fast. He also seems to be pretty smart on the field (not counting the 15yd personal foul in the NC game). His upside is great and should turn into a high draft pick.

I have to go back and try to find the article I read but I vaguely remember reading that coming out of high school he was benching somewhere around 330 lbs and squatting 510 or so.

I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to him until the tOSU/Mich game. But he's one I'm going to have to keep my eye on over the course of the next couple seasons.

KaneMarko
01-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Seymour? Hmmm interesting. I think John Randle. But Seymour I can sorta see it.

I figured Seymour because Seymour is also 6'6" with a relatively athletic, lean build. Plus he seems to have similar athleticism as seymour. Heyward is listed at around 285 now. But he's only a freshman. I could very easily see him as a junior or senior in the neighborhood of 310-320 like Seymour.

2 years from now, my Chiefs may be in the market for a D-Tackle to replace Boone and Edwards (we're actually in the market now for D-Tackles). This might be a kid for them to watch.

KaneMarko
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Another giant kid that caught my eye that you all might want to watch over the next 2-3 years is Linval Joseph out of ECU. Kid is 6'6" 344 lbs. In the few snaps I saw him play this year he looked like he had some talent. Performed a pretty good spin move in the BSU game and got pretty good penetration on a swim move. He's just a freshman. But it looks like he may have some skill and be worth watching.

Shane P. Hallam
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
He didn't start for most of the year, even after Wilson was hurt. He rotated with Rob Rose and a few others sometime, but Heyward is definitely not draftable yet, he has a lot more to do. His development will be key and if he takes on and secures a starting DE job (could be a battle).

keylime_5
01-17-2008, 04:44 PM
He didn't start for most of the year, even after Wilson was hurt. He rotated with Rob Rose and a few others sometime, but Heyward is definitely not draftable yet, he has a lot more to do. His development will be key and if he takes on and secures a starting DE job (could be a battle).

Robert started about 3 or 4 games after Wilson got hurt before Heyward took over. No doubt Cameron outplayed Rose by a LOT all year even before he started. The draft is about potential, not how good you are right now, and if Heyward was in the 2008 draft he probably would be a mid-late first round pick......though by the time he actually is in the draft (looking like 2010) I think he'll be a top 10 pick if he keeps up the progress and great play.

Shane P. Hallam
01-17-2008, 06:24 PM
That's pretty strong. I think Rob can give him a run for his money as both develop...

OhioState
01-17-2008, 08:50 PM
i would love to see rose develop into the DE that we thought he was gonna be and let Heyward move back to DT, now that would be a sick line

Solomon
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Why did Rose pack on so many pounds? He seems to have lost some burst. I was more impressed by him two years ago.

Shane P. Hallam
01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Many thought (including Kirk,) that he looked too "David Boston" like. Going for the muscles and not for playing weight, so he bulked up. I knew Rob personally his first year and he just didn't look like a DE, more like a LB. We'll see what happens...

Sniper
01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Many thought (including Kirk,) that he looked too "David Boston" like.

So he's on steroids then?