PDA

View Full Version : Which Player Makes More Sense to Trade?

Xiomera
01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I was inspired to bring this up for discussion after listening to 97.1 this afternoon.

Which of these players makes the most sense to trade this offseason, taking into account both how much we will be hurt by the loss, as well as considering the return assets we would get from the trade.

The candidates:

Roy Williams

Shaun Rogers

Also speculate on what we could realistically gain from trading them in terms of draft picks.

Xiomera
01-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I think the Lions should trade Rogers so long as Millen is able to get at least a 3rd round pick in return. I am guardedly optimistic that some team might be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for Rogers (a team like the Saints perhaps, who stand to miss out on Ellis and Dorsey in the 1st round, and could probably use a DT above all).

I think the Lions need to hold onto Roy Williams. We invested a top ten pick on him, and he is one of the few picks of the Millen era that has panned out (one of only 2 Pro Bowlers he's selected, the other being the 2nd player involved in this thread). I think Roy Williams will be highly motivated to have his best year as a Pro since it is a contract year for him. We can justify franchising Roy for 2009. He is a top 10 receiver in the league.

The only things that would make me change my mind about not dealing Roy would be if he changes his tune about wanting to remain a Lion, either this year or beyond. I would not accept anything less than a 1st round pick for Williams, however. If Deion Branch can fetch a 1st rounder, and Javon Walker can fetch a 2nd, then Roy has to be worth a 1st rounder.

Paul
01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
You know the Cowboys, who have two first round picks and some other assets, are in need of young big Play WR and a true NT. Just throwing it out there.

Xiomera
01-17-2008, 12:40 PM
You know the Cowboys, who have two first round picks and some other assets, are in need of young big Play WR and a true NT. Just throwing it out there.

You're not the first Cowboys fan to make note of this in the Lions forum.

Which of these two interests you more? And what would you be willing to part with as a fan? I can only imagine the name Bobby Carpenter will be thrown about soon . . . :confused:

Paul
01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Ha, yes Carp was the first name to come to mind. Just because I was under the impression the Lions were in need of LB. As for the the player I'm most interested in, is Rogers. Though Ratliff has been great, a big true NT who can draw double team is what I really want. Rogers did have a down year, and he looked way out of shape when we played late in the season, I still believe he can one of the better DT's if he tries. Not sure what kind of value he has right now, maybe a 2nd rounder?

TimD
01-17-2008, 12:50 PM
What about Rogers for Vilma. I think the Lions would have to throw in a 3rd or 4th Rounder for that to work though.

Xiomera
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
What about Rogers for Vilma. I think the Lions would have to throw in a 3rd or 4th Rounder for that to work though.

This has always been a pipe-dream for the Lions. I think it would take Rogers and our 2nd rounder to work.

Xiomera
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Ha, yes Carp was the first name to come to mind. Just because I was under the impression the Lions were in need of LB. As for the the player I'm most interested in, is Rogers. Though Ratliff has been great, a big true NT who can draw double team is what I really want. Rogers did have a down year, and he looked way out of shape when we played late in the season, I still believe he can one of the better DT's if he tries. Not sure what kind of value he has right now, maybe a 2nd rounder?

My question is why isn't Carpenter a success in Dallas? Detroit needs a MLB. And they need a guy ideally suited to play the middle, not a OLB turned MLB or something like that . . .

From a team like Dallas, I think a 2nd rounder would be fair compensation for Rogers. I would accept that kind of a deal as a Lions fan.

BroadwayJoe10
01-17-2008, 01:01 PM
This has always been a pipe-dream for the Lions. I think it would take Rogers and our 2nd rounder to work.

I really think the only reason it wouldn't work is because both our teams are too snake bitten for something like this to work. Rogers get's a change of scenery where he has the potential to be THE MAN and dominant centerpiece of our defense and vilma can once again show off all his talent in a 43, where he won't be gobbled up by interior lineman and can make plays sideline to sideline. I would love for the lions and jets to work this trade out, but it just seems to good to be true.

Paul
01-17-2008, 01:06 PM
My question is why isn't Carpenter a success in Dallas? Detroit needs a MLB. And they need a guy ideally suited to play the middle, not a OLB turned MLB or something like that . . .

From a team like Dallas, I think a 2nd rounder would be fair compensation for Rogers. I would accept that kind of a deal as a Lions fan.

The Carp situation has been argued to death on the Dallas Boards, either be to due to lack of opportunities, lack of experience or just lack of talent, he can not find his way onto the field. All of us were excited after the Seattle game last year, where he was flying around like mad man, but since then...nothing.

Xiomera
01-17-2008, 01:09 PM
The Carp situation has been argued to death on the Dallas Boards, either be to due to lack of opportunities, lack of experience or just lack of talent, he can not find his way onto the field. All of us were excited after the Seattle game last year, where he was flying around like mad man, but since then...nothing.

I don't see him as a guy with much value then if that is the case. Detroit wouldn't want a guy they have to motivate or inspire to live up to his 1st round billing. We already have that in Rogers, and he is clearly a better talent than Carp.

LonghornsLegend
01-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Well its hard to judge what Carps value is, but its not shot down completely because he hasnt played enough to show that he cant play thats the thing...He just needs a shot and he wont get it on our team, I think he could be solid for someone and start all year, he has pro bowl potential obviously but so does every other 1st rd pick, he just plays ST for us so it only makes sense to ship him off and let him play elsewhere...

I agree with you on Roy, he is one of the few picks who panned out so you guys should try to hold onto him...But im really hoping Jerry goes after Rogers, I could see him and Ferguson making our d line respectable and that way if the motor problems are as some suggest he doesnt have to play every down and we can let Tank walk...

id give up a 2nd but its a high 2nd and another team could beat that out...and if we were to throw in a player we have ILB's that could go without any problem, other then that hard to see who else we could trade...

does Rogers want out or does the organization want him gone? Im not sure what the discussion was about on the radio station you heard

Xiomera
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Well its hard to judge what Carps value is, but its not shot down completely because he hasnt played enough to show that he cant play thats the thing...He just needs a shot and he wont get it on our team, I think he could be solid for someone and start all year, he has pro bowl potential obviously but so does every other 1st rd pick, he just plays ST for us so it only makes sense to ship him off and let him play elsewhere...

I agree with you on Roy, he is one of the few picks who panned out so you guys should try to hold onto him...But im really hoping Jerry goes after Rogers, I could see him and Ferguson making our d line respectable and that way if the motor problems are as some suggest he doesnt have to play every down and we can let Tank walk...

id give up a 2nd but its a high 2nd and another team could beat that out...and if we were to throw in a player we have ILB's that could go without any problem, other then that hard to see who else we could trade...

does Rogers want out or does the organization want him gone? Im not sure what the discussion was about on the radio station you heard

Its never been explicitly stated, but our coaching staff (Marinelli) seems to have finally had enough of Rogers inconsistency. They see his lack of effort as indication that he may very well want out of Detroit.

But he has never asked for a trade or hinted at that as far as I know.

It seems to be a foregone conclusion though that the Lions are gonna at least try and deal him before the draft.

wingboy2999
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Rod has wanted hard working players and wanted a hard working D-Line. He made Rogers his pet project but that hasn't work. So he is probably on his way out.

Bootland27
01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
It seems like a forgone conclusion that Rogers will be dealt.....When healthy and motivated he's so dominant, but without him our d-line looks average at best. So how do we go about replacing him?

Xiomera
01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
It seems like a forgone conclusion that Rogers will be dealt.....When healthy and motivated he's so dominant, but without him our d-line looks average at best. So how do we go about replacing him?

Whatever pick we get from a Rogers trade should be used to take a DT in the draft, IMO.

Whitebull
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Rogers, because of his attitude, obviously has a great chance to be gone.

But I think Roy makes more sense from a player-personnel and need perspective. We NEED Shaun Rogers. If we trade him, it means we need to go get a DT elsewhere, immediately.

Roy is different. We don't need Calvin AND Roy. Calvin, Furrey, and McDonald is a great group. I really think trading Roy for picks which we can spend on defense or the OL makes alot of sense, and if the picks/players we got for him were equal value/panned out, we'd improve our football team. Trading Shaun Rogers, even if the picks/players pan out, probably won't improve our football team. I guess it will from an attitude perspective, maybe he's a cancer and hurt's Rod's influence, but if you put that aside I can't see it.

Trading Roy is trading away a surplus of talent at WR to shore up deficiencies elsewhere.

Xiomera
01-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Rogers, because of his attitude, obviously has a great chance to be gone.

But I think Roy makes more sense from a player-personnel and need perspective. We NEED Shaun Rogers. If we trade him, it means we need to go get a DT elsewhere, immediately.

Roy is different. We don't need Calvin AND Roy. Calvin, Furrey, and McDonald is a great group. I really think trading Roy for picks which we can spend on defense or the OL makes alot of sense, and if the picks/players we got for him were equal value/panned out, we'd improve our football team. Trading Shaun Rogers, even if the picks/players pan out, probably won't improve our football team. I guess it will from an attitude perspective, maybe he's a cancer and hurt's Rod's influence, but if you put that aside I can't see it.

Trading Roy is trading away a surplus of talent at WR to shore up deficiencies elsewhere.

Keep in mind that we don't really know how Furrey and McDonald will perform post-Mike Martz. Martz made them the nice players they were the past two seasons . . . we'll see if they can sustain it without Martz running the show.

wingboy2999
01-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I think they have talent even without Martz. Maybe not leading the NFC in catches but they will still be good recievers.

Bootland27
01-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Keep in mind that we don't really know how Furrey and McDonald will perform post-Mike Martz. Martz made them the nice players they were the past two seasons . . . we'll see if they can sustain it without Martz running the show.

Bingo.....That is the biggest concern if Roy is dealt. Thats why I think it may not be a bad idea to trade away Furrey or McDonald instead.

Xiomera
01-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Bingo.....That is the biggest concern if Roy is dealt. Thats why I think it may not be a bad idea to trade away Furrey or McDonald instead.

Seriously, if Martz is interested, I say we deal him Furrey ASAP. Makes more sense than trading Roy.

Brothgar
01-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Seriously, if Martz is interested, I say we deal him Furrey ASAP. Makes more sense than trading Roy.

What do you imagine we could get for Furrey? I'd say at most late 2 early 3. But most likely mid late 3.

Xiomera
01-18-2008, 09:14 PM
What do you imagine we could get for Furrey? I'd say at most late 2 early 3. But most likely mid late 3.

A 4th rounder, and that may be a bit optimistic.

The only team that might give that is the 9ers.

JPLUFF
01-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Shaun Rogers has too much of a Rasheed Wallace/Randy Moss quality to him. Get him in the right situation, and he'll want to play and he'll want to dominate. That's not the case here, and we're gonna trade him for $.50 on the dollar, get a mid-round draft pick for him (that probably won't make the team), and he'll start playing like an all-pro and we're gonna get screwed.

Roy will garner undeniably more trade value, but I wouldn't trade him. CJ had an ok rookie season, but he's nowhere near ready to be the number 1. Furrey & McDonald are once again unproven without Martz. I'd rather wait a year, see what we have with our other receivers, and then let him walk once he's a free agent. Maybe if we have a complete season he'll want to resign, who knows?

Bootland27
01-19-2008, 12:05 AM

Absolutely. Who do you think would have more trade value, Furrey or McDonald?

LonghornsLegend
01-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Is Rogers in the last year of his contract where he can be released, or will he HAVE to be traded? I would like to think he could get you guys a 2nd round pick and a player thrown in, which is more then worth it...some of you are probably right about him going elsewhere and becoming a pro bowler, but if he's not even trying out there whats the point? you could get a player and draft someone in the 2nd who is younger and cheaper, and gives 110% every play, I watched Rogers play this year being that Im a huge fan of almost all of the UT defensive tackles in the nfl, and it would be like he tried one play out of 4, or if he tried really hard on 3rd down and the team got the 1st down, he would go right back to being lazy on 1st down and pushed around, then he would eventually get subbed out and you guys were worse off then before anyway...besides im always a fan of, if you think a guy will walk in a year anyway, why not get a pick and hope it pans out

WMD
01-19-2008, 05:26 AM
A 4th rounder, and that may be a bit optimistic.

The only team that might give that is the 9ers.

Furrey was our #4 WR this year.. I doubt we get anything over a Round 4. I'd say either a Round 5 or some backup OL from whatever team wanted to trade for him.

thule
01-19-2008, 05:29 AM
I still find it hard to believe that a guy who is
A- Still Young
B- Taken top 10
C- Produced on the field

would be valued at anything below a first day pick. I think a late 2nd-early 3rd would probably get the deal done...

Xiomera
01-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I still find it hard to believe that a guy who is
A- Still Young
B- Taken top 10
C- Produced on the field

would be valued at anything below a first day pick. I think a late 2nd-early 3rd would probably get the deal done...

Millen will overvalue Roy in any trade talks he has for him. He is one of Millen's proudest picks (one of about 4 I'd say, lol).

Roy won't be going anywhere unless we get a 1st.

Bootland27
01-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Shaun Rogers: It's clear the coach hasn't given up on the frustrating defensive tackle, who's overweight and lacks the stamina to play hard for a full 16-game schedule.

"Every guy that is under contract right now I expect to be with us," Marinelli said. He also stopped short of saying he'd impose a weight limit for Rogers to participate in training camp. "That's something I'll have to think about. There was a (limit) at one time, but my belief has always been, for a guy to want to be a great player, he knows what (playing weight) he has to get to."

Maybe Next Year Millen2
01-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think either should be traded.

Without Rogers in the lineup our defense turns to garbage. Nobody else can take on a double team and even if we got Vilma(best case)without a good DT, Vilma will be swallowed up by a blocker everytime. That is why Vilma struggles in the 3-4. He doesn't have protection in front of him to do what he does best. Fly around and make tackles. I don't want to go into next year with Redding,Cody,Langston Moore and a rookie. The key to the Rogers situation is to win games, giving him motivation to play, and get a young DT who isn't garbage like Cody and Moore. If we get a rookie who is big strong and space eater to spell Rogers, the problem is solved. Good teams have a DT rotation. Not just relying on starters. We are not going to get DT like Rogers in free agency. There are just none out there and you can forget about Haynesworth. He won't be available.

As for Roy, the key is Furrey and McDonald. How will they perform. We DO NEED Calvin and Roy if we have Kitna as the starter without Martz. I say resign Roy this offseason before his value gets out of control with bidding wars. Good teams keep their best players and Roy is a rarity(good Millen draft pick). Trading Roy for a pick has a high probablility of Millen finding another dud. Fans love draft picks until the pick is actually used by Millen.

Thunder&Lightning
01-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I highly doubt they will trade either one of them but if they were to trade one it would be rogers...They have some depth at DT and I feel that an Elite WR is more important than an Elit DT IMO. Trading Roy Williams would hurt Calvin Johnson too...Williams will play a major role in Jonsons development in the future years...

Addict
01-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Roy won't resign, so we had better get some value out of him before he bolts as an FA... First round pick is a very realistic option with him.

Shaun Rogers needs to get bolted. Maybe for Vilma... That'd be a good trade for us.

As for Furrey I think we should keep him, he won't get us much and considering he's been playing well so far I don't think Martz leaving will hurt his performance that much.

Frankly, I miss the 'both' option.

Scotty D
01-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Roy won't resign, so we had better get some value out of him before he bolts as an FA... First round pick is a very realistic option with him.

Shaun Rogers needs to get bolted. Maybe for Vilma... That'd be a good trade for us.

As for Furrey I think we should keep him, he won't get us much and considering he's been playing well so far I don't think Martz leaving will hurt his performance that much.

I think the Vilma for Shaun Rogers is probably a match made in heaven. Shaun would be a great 34 NT. Both players value's are low right now. Shaun's weight and Vilma's knees.

I agree Furrey should stay if Roy is gone. Furrey would be the #2, no? Mcdonald is not a #2 receiver in this league. We would probably have to draft a WR on day two. Maybe one with return skills.

Is there a DT we could sign in FA? The loss of Rogers would hurt us at DT immensely. Cody and IAF would have to step up. And IAF playing DT has been pushed by us on the message board and not anything I've seen from the coaches.

wingboy2999
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Win games to give Rogers motivation to drop weight and play hard? Come on.... we went 6-2 and then his play fell off... He didn't stop producing because we were losing... him not producing was one of the reasons we started to lose. He just fell off. So I don't buy the whole "win to get him produce".

Bootland27
01-21-2008, 10:50 PM

How do you know that he won't re-sign?????

Shaun Rogers for Vilma? Sounds good for Madden or the Forum's offseason Mock, but this is one scenario that I hope stays as a fantasy. You wanna know what kind of impact his knee injury could possibly have?? See Boss Bailey.

We spent years trying to get enough playmakers; Chuck Rogers, Roy, BMW, CJ. Now when we are set, why try to do too much??? If it ain't broke (the WR position) why fix it??

bearsfan_51
01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I'd say Shaun Rogers, but that's mostly because he's a lazy sack of ****. Showing up for 3-4 games a year doesn't make you elite.

I think Roy Williams is an assclown, but at least he tries hard and wants his team to win.

Bootland27
01-21-2008, 11:03 PM
I think the Vilma for Shaun Rogers is probably a match made in heaven. Shaun would be a great 34 NT. Both players value's are low right now. Shaun's weight and Vilma's knees.

I agree Furrey should stay if Roy is gone. Furrey would be the #2, no? Mcdonald is not a #2 receiver in this league. We would probably have to draft a WR on day two. Maybe one with return skills.

Is there a DT we could sign in FA? The loss of Rogers would hurt us at DT immensely. Cody and IAF would have to step up. And IAF playing DT has been pushed by us on the message board and not anything I've seen from the coaches.

I have more faith in Shaun's ability to lose weight than Vilma's knees allowing him to regain his pre-injury form.

Neither Furrey nor McDonald have proven to be successful without Martz.

Thinking Ahead, I like that. Its Highly unlikely that there will be a talented DT in FA. Haynesworth is slated to be a FA, but the chances of him hitting the market are slim and the alternatives aren't very appealing. Cody has shown nothing to warrant a starting job and IAF played only a handful of snaps, so its unlikely that he can start.

Addict
01-22-2008, 06:07 AM
How do you know that he won't re-sign?????

Shaun Rogers for Vilma? Sounds good for Madden or the Forum's offseason Mock, but this is one scenario that I hope stays as a fantasy. You wanna know what kind of impact his knee injury could possibly have?? See Boss Bailey.

We spent years trying to get enough playmakers; Chuck Rogers, Roy, BMW, CJ. Now when we are set, why try to do too much??? If it ain't broke (the WR position) why fix it??

Football is a game of balance, essentially we can have all the great pass-catchers we want but we lack everything else on both sides of the ball. The idea is to sacrifice a stellar part of the team, to make the dreadfull parts less obvious. Really, how do you want that great WR corps to catch anything if:

- The QB makes poor decisions and is inaccurate (I pray Stanton is different)
- The line couldn't stop my kid brother from getting to the QB
- we have no running game (Duckett isn't any good, KJ is always injured)
- our defense can't get off the field (without giving up a score.

oh and where did I get the fact Roy and KJ are going to bolt? http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2007/12/williams_jones_likely_to_leave.html right there. It's also been posted in the team forum.

Bootland27
01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Football is a game of balance, essentially we can have all the great pass-catchers we want but we lack everything else on both sides of the ball. The idea is to sacrifice a stellar part of the team, to make the dreadfull parts less obvious. Really, how do you want that great WR corps to catch anything if:

- The QB makes poor decisions and is inaccurate (I pray Stanton is different)
- The line couldn't stop my kid brother from getting to the QB
- we have no running game (Duckett isn't any good, KJ is always injured)
- our defense can't get off the field (without giving up a score.

oh and where did I get the fact Roy and KJ are going to bolt? http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2007/12/williams_jones_likely_to_leave.html right there. It's also been posted in the team forum.

First of all there's nothing definitive in that article that says Roy is leaving, its all speculation. If the reason you wanna trade Roy is because of that article, you're being too judgmental. All he said was:
"I know next year is my contract year so I don't know what the future holds for me. As far as right now, I feel like I'm OK, I'm pretty good. I just want to play ball.
"Everybody wants to stay with the team that they started out with. It's hard to do now with free agency but I think I'm a good enough player that I think I'll be back here in Detroit.

Its called looking ahead.....something 99.9% of us do at some point. Hell we do that in this forum everyday.

I agree with the first part and understand all the points. But, thats why you have the FA and the draft to try to fulfill those needs. Of course, It may take more than one offseason to do that, but the same can said for a lot of other teams.

Addict
01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
First of all there's nothing definitive in that article that says Roy is leaving, its all speculation. If the reason you wanna trade Roy is because of that article, you're being too judgmental. All he said was:

Its called looking ahead.....something 99.9% of us do at some point. Hell we do that in this forum everyday.

I agree with the first part and understand all the points. But, thats why you have the FA and the draft to try to fulfill those needs. Of course, It may take more than one offseason to do that, but the same can said for a lot of other teams.

I'm not a fan of a lot of other teams, I kinda like this one. So I don't wanna see it ran into the ground by reaching for need players who just aren't talented enough to be drafted. I'd love getting Jared Mayo (maybe even more than Erin Henderson) but I refuse to mock him in the first, he's just not good enough to be considered there.

What this team needs more than anything right now is talent. We have too many holes to fill, so we can even be picky, but bottom line is reaches will just worsen the situation.

Bootland27
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm not a fan of a lot of other teams, I kinda like this one. So I don't wanna see it ran into the ground by reaching for need players who just aren't talented enough to be drafted. I'd love getting Jared Mayo (maybe even more than Erin Henderson) but I refuse to mock him in the first, he's just not good enough to be considered there.

What this team needs more than anything right now is talent. We have too many holes to fill, so we can even be picky, but bottom line is reaches will just worsen the situation.

Why not Dan Connor in the 1st? He wouldn't be a reach at 15.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
BTW sims was considered a slight reach when we took him and that worked out. People called alexander a reach but he looked pretty good this year too.

Compare that to taking BMW because he slipped and was the BPA.

if these players are good fits and our scouts and our coaches believe they will fit our defense the i wouldnt care about a slight reach. Better to take that player and know he will benefit your team then take a player that your team doesnt really need

Addict
01-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Why not Dan Connor in the 1st? He wouldn't be a reach at 15.

I think DE is less deep than LB, so I'd say we adress the hole at linebacker in the second, with Henderson, Mayo and such all available (and Goff in later rounds) there's more to be had. This defense NEEDS a pass-rush. That being said, I wouldn't mind Dan Conner at all, I was very dissapointed to see us pass on Poz last year.

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd take Harvey over Connor in a heartbeat.

Probably because I hate PSU. Whatever.

asmitty45
01-22-2008, 03:49 PM
If we can get vilma for rogers id say that would be the smarter trade, but otherwise I would trade Roy to someone (SD?) for a LB/OT. I think we could get some very good players for Roy.

Addict
01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
If we can get vilma for rogers id say that would be the smarter trade, but otherwise I would trade Roy to someone (SD?) for a LB/OT. I think we could get some very good players for Roy.

Picks > Players. We could also try to trade Rogers to the Jets for a pick... With their need we may be able to get a second for him, regardless of his issues.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 08:30 PM
IMO trading rogers could be a huge mistake. Moving him creates another hole on defense and another hole that we will have to replace. Im a huge fan of moving roy because we are stacked at WR and could succeed without him but without rogers on our dline we could be screwed. Id rather try him out one more year and see if he can go all out all year

Xiomera
01-23-2008, 12:05 PM
IMO trading rogers could be a huge mistake. Moving him creates another hole on defense and another hole that we will have to replace. Im a huge fan of moving roy because we are stacked at WR and could succeed without him but without rogers on our dline we could be screwed. Id rather try him out one more year and see if he can go all out all year

In many ways I will agree with this thinking, but I don't think we are "stacked" at WR. We need to see Furrey and McDonald outside of the Mike Martz offense before we can declare them to be worthy #2 and 3 receivers.

I am in favor of trading Shaun Rogers if we can get either a high second rounder for him, or use him as part of a deal to get an established player (like Vilma). We shouldn't settle for less than a 2nd rounder as compensation though.

Any draft pick we get for Rogers should immediatly be re-invested into a DT.

detroit4life
01-23-2008, 01:35 PM
In many ways I will agree with this thinking, but I don't think we are "stacked" at WR. We need to see Furrey and McDonald outside of the Mike Martz offense before we can declare them to be worthy #2 and 3 receivers.

I am in favor of trading Shaun Rogers if we can get either a high second rounder for him, or use him as part of a deal to get an established player (like Vilma). We shouldn't settle for less than a 2nd rounder as compensation though.

Any draft pick we get for Rogers should immediatly be re-invested into a DT.

i agree with that id take a mid second for rogers but if we cant get that or better we should keep him our defense is better with him playing even if hes going at 60 percent sometimes so if we cant get good value for him we need to keep him we cant find a replacement for him in the 3rd round or lower that can contribute like he can

Bootland27
01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Couldn't agree more with you guys. I think that is the most fundamentally sound way of going about it. If nobody offers at least a 2nd round pick for him, we're better off keeping him, as opposed to getting burned. As far as DTs in the draft, I think Pat Sims or red Bryant are solid options.

Xiomera
01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, no sense in cutting Rogers for cap purposes. It's not like we are gonna spend that additional cap space gained effectively.

Brothgar
01-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, no sense in cutting Rogers for cap purposes. It's not like we are gonna spend that additional cap space gained effectively.

How much of a bite are we going to have to take from the cap if we dump him?

wingboy2999
01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I do not want to, under any circumstances, cut him. He still has some value to us. But it isn't like he needs to be cut.

Bootland27
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
How much of a bite are we going to have to take from the cap if we dump him?

He signed the deal which was backloaded into the last 3 years. I'm guessing of a cap hit somewhere between $2 - 5 Mil.