PDA

View Full Version : Colts' 2008 schedule UPDATE: Regular season schedule announced!

Geo
01-18-2008, 01:23 AM
It's a murder's row this upcoming season, this has to be one of the hardest line-up in the league:

2008 Indianapolis Colts
Home: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, New England
Away: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Minnesota, San Diego

Heck, three of the final four in this year's playoffs are there, two of which are road games. That game at Lambeau is going to be crazy, plus that and Pitt and Cleveland make three potential cold weather games which would be fun to see the Colts play in. I fear playing Adrian Peterson and the Vikes' run-blocking offense, hopefully their pass defense doesn't improve too much by that game. Still, having a tough schedule is good imo. It prepares a team for the playoffs, the atmosphere and the pressure, for having to fight to win in the fourth quarter against tough opponents.

I wonder when the schedule gets announced. Pats/Colts will probably be on MNF, it's their turn to have the game I would think. Indy @ Pit is a big game, that's ripe for primetime. The San Diego game too, of course. Maybe this year the Colts will host the Jags on primetime, that would be cool if they switched every year.

redviper311
01-18-2008, 06:38 AM
It's a murder's row this upcoming season, this has to be one of the hardest line-up in the league:

2008 Indianapolis Colts
Home: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, New England
Away: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Minnesota, San Diego

Heck, three of the final four in this year's playoffs are there, two of which are road games. That game at Lambeau is going to be crazy, plus that and Pitt and Cleveland make three potential cold weather games which would be fun to see the Colts play in. I fear playing Adrian Peterson and the Vikes' run-blocking offense, hopefully their pass defense doesn't improve too much by that game. Still, having a tough schedule is good imo. It prepares a team for the playoffs, the atmosphere and the pressure, for having to fight to win in the fourth quarter against tough opponents.

I wonder when the schedule gets announced. Pats/Colts will probably be on MNF, it's their turn to have the game I would think. Indy @ Pit is a big game, that's ripe for primetime. The San Diego game too, of course. Maybe this year the Colts will host the Jags on primetime, that would be cool if they switched every year.

Wow! That is naste...lets just pray Dungy is back and we stay healthy.

Dam8610
01-19-2008, 01:12 AM
That may look like a murderers' row now, but we may be talking about this being one of the NFL's easiest schedules next year.

MaxV
01-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Yes, every year there is a turnover. Still, this looks like a difficult schedule.

The good news is that our division rivals face almost the same schedule, except for the Patriots and Chargers. (I know, I know, I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy :))

chad72
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
In 2006, we played the Broncos and Patriots back-to-back (we won both).

In 2007, we played the Pats and Chargers back-to-back (we lost both).

These kinds of games against elite teams back-to-back are the ones to watch, they can make you or break you in the schedule.

The last time we played the NFC North, Peyton had his 49 TD year. Both the Packers and Vikings match up well against us, here are the reasons.

The Cover 2 gives the cushion for the short pass and is so dependent on tackling, the Packers like to throw the short slants and depend on YAC. If we have a bad tackling day, the D will have a hard time getting off the field. If Brett Favre opts to go for the long ball which he is very much tempted to do, it will be a long day for him and his O, that is for sure with this Cover 2 D. It is hard to score 30 points against the Packers, so playing good D against Favre is the best way to win.

The Vikings, Adrian Peterson and their O-line is going to give us fits and shorten the game. Run D has always been our Kryptonite. So, Peyton and the O better be prepared for excellent red zone conversion because the possessions will be few.

I predict 1 loss to the Pats/Chargers combo, 1 loss to the AFC North, 1 loss to the NFC North, and 1 loss in the division. So, a best case scenario of 12-4 for the Colts, and a worst case scenario of 11-5 with 2 losses in the division.

Most importantly, I want the Colts to play the last game of the regular season for some valid reason, whether it is playoff seeding or a division title. The bye week has not been the one that hurt us, it is taking games off. In fact, all Colts playoff victories have come as a #3 seed, go figure.

Dam8610
02-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I'd say the Packers match up decently, but the Vikings? They need a pass rush before they can match up with the Colts, unless AD explodes in that game, which, while possible, isn't nearly as likely as Peyton throwing for 3 TDs while facing little pressure.

Geo
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Commissioner Goodell announced the first Sunday Night Football (not counting the Thursday season opener) game of the season today (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8077fe58):

Chicago Bears @ Indianapolis Colts! Sunday night, Sept. 7th.

Rematch of SB XLI and the unveiling of the Luke on primetime, good stuff. To be honest, I'm surprised the league scheduled a home game for the Colts, against an NFC team too, as the previous results have tended to be one-sided, but I can't complain.

RagingColt
03-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Will the Bears even be a competitive team by then? Seems like a huge mismatch early in the season to be shown as a national game.

Geo
03-31-2008, 08:45 PM
The Bears defense will be healthy and fresh, maybe moreso then than at any time during the season. Look at what they did to the Chargers in Week 1 last season, and DT Dusty Dvoracek suffered a season-ending injury in that game.

But if the Colts can do a good job against their offense and create some turnovers, then they can wear down the Bears defense (likely accumulate FGs) like they did in SB XLI. Granted this game won't be a rainy mess like that was, which helps the experienced Colts offense.

chad72
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Just don't kick off to Devin Hester. You would then be showing off your new stadium and your old kick coverage skills, maybe?;)

I predict a similar score like our SB win 27-17.

Geo
04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Preseason schedule
versus Washington Redskins, Hall of Fame game, Sunday August 3rd 8PM [NBC]
at Carolina Panthers, Week 1, August 7-11
at Atlanta Falcons, Week 2, August 14-19
versus Buffalo Bills, Week 3, Sunday August 24th 8PM [NFLN] (First Colts game at Lucas Oil Field!)
versus Cincinnati Bengals, Week 4, August 28-29

A solid group of opponents, might have liked a 3-4 team in there but oh well.

Dam8610
04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
5 preseason games again? Interesting.

tylerb929
04-06-2008, 01:44 PM
5 preseason games again? Interesting.

Meh, doesn't really matter, just more time to evaluate the scrubs. Its not like we'll see much, if any, of the starters.

Philliez01
04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't care if it's preseason or regular season, but I'm already getting pumped! The real schedule looks quite difficult but then again, we can still take it to those teams.

HURRY UP SEASON!

Geo
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Sunday, Sept. 7 Chicago Bears at Indianapolis Colts 8:15 p.m. NBC
Sunday, Sept. 14 Indianapolis Colts at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Sept. 21 Jacksonville Jaguars at Indianapolis Colts 4:15 p.m. CBS
Bye
Sunday, Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans 1 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Oct. 12 Baltimore Ravens at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Oct. 19 Indianapolis Colts at Green Bay Packers 4:15 p.m. CBS
Monday, Oct. 27 Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans 8:30 p.m. ESPN
Sunday, Nov. 2 New England Patriots at Indianapolis Colts 8:15 p.m. NBC
Sunday, Nov. 9 Indianapolis Colts at Pittsburgh Steelers 4:15 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Nov. 16 Houston Texans at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Nov. 23 Indianapolis Colts at San Diego Chargers 8:15 p.m. NBC
Sunday, Nov. 30 Indianapolis Colts at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Dec. 7 Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Dec. 14 Detroit Lions at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. FOX
Thursday, Dec. 18 Indianapolis Colts at Jacksonville Jaguars 8:15 p.m. NFLN
Sunday, Dec. 28 Tennessee Titans at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. CBS

November is a very tough stretch, thanks to sweeps and the desire for TV ratings by the networks ... but I think the schedule as a whole is manageable. I might have liked the Jags game and Lions game swtiched. Very interesting coincidence (?) of the Colts finishing with the Titans at home in Week 17 for two years straight.

UKfan
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Initial thoughts, that looks like a pretty tough schedule, and 2 division games to finish off, I hope playoffs are wrapped up by then.

The games against Cincy and Detroit near then end are going to be a bit of a relief after going to Pitt, SD and Cle in 3 out of four weeks.

MaxV
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Primetime games. NOT bad.

Colts = high ratings.

Unfortunately, I don't have the NFLN.

UKfan
04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Move to England, we get NFLN games for free :)

Also forgot to add in earlier I'm really not a fan of having the bye so early, I think it would be much more beneficial to the team later on in the season, c'est la vie.

RagingColt
04-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Wish they would have switched the MNF Titans game with the SNF Bears game. Colts vs Titans would be a lot more competitive game to open the season. Not one real give me game on the schedule. Should be a great year of close Colts games.

chad72
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
We will truly know what the Packers and Browns are like this season. The Browns, in my opinion, could very well be a .500 team at the end of the season with their schedule and end up 8-8 at best, IMO. 5 primetime games is also 5 times to show the NFL that you do not belong or that you belong, only time will tell.

If the Packers do not fare well this year, then the Colts stretch of tough games that go like: At Packs, At Titans, NE, and At Pitt will be more like At Titans, NE, and At Pitt.

If the Browns do not fare well this year, then the Colts stretch of tough games that go like: At Chargers, At Browns will be more like At Chargers.

Since the 2002 division re-alignment, the Colts have never swept the Jags in 2 consecutive years, so expect a division loss to the Jags for sure this year. My bets are on the Colts going 12-4 at best, and 11-5 at worst both with a division title. For some reason, I have a gut feeling the last home game against the Titans will not be a Sorgi show.

Geo
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Interesting stat about sweeping the Jags, although I think the bigger point is that the Jags are a pretty good team even if the Colts get the better of them most of the time. We all definitely remember the Jacksonville Incident of 2006, *shiver*.

I think that Thursday night Week 16 game could be tough, maybe that could be the game where the Jags split the series. A lot of it will depend on luck, in terms of injuries at that time of year. But given that it is so short a week, and it's in Jacksonville, that's going to be a big challenge.

As for the schedule itself, yes it's tough, but I think it's manageable for the Colts. Well, they probably won't get the number one seed, that's a tall task meanwhile New England's schedule and San Diego's schedule are both easier, so that's not good. But this could be the best Colts team yet imo, as long as they are prepared for the playoffs with a tough schedule, those two teams had better watch out no matter where the game is played.