PDA

View Full Version : A couple thoughts about this team's direction

dba008
01-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Looking at the Panthers it is obvious that there is talent, but there is one big difference between them and the elite teams, we have no real identity. By that I mean we no real strength that we can rely on week in and week out to carry us. Look at the other teams:
Patriots have a terrific pass offense
Steelers have a terrific run D
Colts have a great Pass O
Packers great D and pass O
Jags-Run O&D
Cowboys-Pass O

If you look at when we went to the SB we were a great running team and had very good D. The last few years it seems that we have just been ok at everything.

With that said I would like for us to really try to focus the draft on one really improving one side of the ball. I really don't think we are far off from having a great offense or a great defense it is just a matter of whether we focus on going for it or if we settle for being good at both again.

I think the Defense is the closest to being elite. We have a terrific secondary, we just need our DLine to get some pressure. I personally wouldn't mind moving up for Dorsey or Gholston. If those 2 can live up to their hype and provide a disruptive force off the edge or up the middle along with Pep on the other edge, it could make our D scary.

Other options would be to trade down to 20-25 and look like this
1)Balmer DT-Gives us a pass rush up the middle
2a)Chris Williams OT-There is a good chance we lose one of our starting T's it has to be addressed
2b)Thomas DeCloud S-We could use another S next to Chris Harris
3)Phillip Wheeler LB-There is a lot of depth at LB so one will probaly fall. I don't consider Diggs the long term answer and we could use some depth.

That is just for Day 1, but what do you guys think? Not just on those players, but in general about focusing our draft D.

ShutDwn
01-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Looking at the Panthers it is obvious that there is talent, but there is one big difference between them and the elite teams, we have no real identity. By that I mean we no real strength that we can rely on week in and week out to carry us. Look at the other teams:
Patriots have a terrific pass offense
Steelers have a terrific run D
Colts have a great Pass O
Packers great D and pass O
Jags-Run O&D
Cowboys-Pass O

If you look at when we went to the SB we were a great running team and had very good D. The last few years it seems that we have just been ok at everything.

With that said I would like for us to really try to focus the draft on one really improving one side of the ball. I really don't think we are far off from having a great offense or a great defense it is just a matter of whether we focus on going for it or if we settle for being good at both again.

I think the Defense is the closest to being elite. We have a terrific secondary, we just need our DLine to get some pressure. I personally wouldn't mind moving up for Dorsey or Gholston. If those 2 can live up to their hype and provide a disruptive force off the edge or up the middle along with Pep on the other edge, it could make our D scary.

Other options would be to trade down to 20-25 and look like this
1)Balmer DT-Gives us a pass rush up the middle
2a)Chris Williams OT-There is a good chance we lose one of our starting T's it has to be addressed
2b)Thomas DeCloud S-We could use another S next to Chris Harris
3)Phillip Wheeler LB-There is a lot of depth at LB so one will probaly fall. I don't consider Diggs the long term answer and we could use some depth.

That is just for Day 1, but what do you guys think? Not just on those players, but in general about focusing our draft D.

I like your analysis. Your right, most teams have a calling card and we have none right now. No team just starts out being great at all phases, it is a building process that starts with one part and adds on. If we can solidify our defense and get the pass or run game going we would be on the right track. We can't fix everything in one year. Is Naill Diggs a great linebacker? No, but he does his job and we really aren't that close to a superbowl so I see no need to replace him when we should focus on a position of greater need. Teams that have great starters across the board didn't just pick guys up in one season, they have gotten guys over time.