PDA

View Full Version : Patriots-Lions 2008 NFL Mock Draft #4

P-L
01-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Ok, I tried 4 Rounds this time. Probably a little too many, but I want to see how well I got some of the team needs. Some values are off, I have guys going in the 4th Round that are probably late 2nd/early 3rd kind of guys. As always, constructive criticism only and suggest replacement picks for the ones you don't like. Enjoy!

Round 1
1. Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE/LB, Virginia

I think this pick makes the most sense. Long is arguably the best defensive player in the draft, and a good fit for the Dolphins, especially if they stay with the 3-4. I don’t see Vernon Gholston as a #1 overall type player and Dolphins look solid at LT and RB.

2. St. Louis Rams - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

I’ll admit, I think this is too high for Gholston, but I think this pick makes the most sense. I don’t see Dorsey here because the Rams drafted Carriker last year and I think they’ll wait to address the OL situation. I also can’t see them letting Steven Jackson walk when his contract is up, in favor of McFadden.

3. Atlanta Falcons – Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

I know many Falcons fans aren’t a fan of this pick, but right now I think it makes the most sense. I do have to agree, in that I’m not a huge fan of Matt Ryan, but I still see the team going in this direction. The Falcons have hired a new GM and are in the process of hiring a new coach. With the regime change, I can see a franchise QB here.

4. Oakland Raiders – Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State

This pick was a toss up between Dorsey and McFadden, but I think the Raiders would opt for Dorsey. Oakland was 31st against the run last season, and the poor play of their DL was a big reason why. I’ve also heard the Raiders are trying to resign Justin Fargas, so I think they’ll hold off on RB.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – Jake Long, OT, Michigan

The Chiefs once had one of, if not the best OL in all of football. However, after leading the league in sacks given up, that seems like a long time ago. Jake Long would provide a much needed upgrade at LT and not only help lower the opponent’s sack totals, but give Larry Johnson a stud run-blocker for years to come.

6. New York Jets – Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

Thomas Jones wasn’t what the Jets were hoping for when they traded for him, not to mention that he’s going to be 30 when next season starts. There are concerns on the defensive side of the ball, but adding one of draft’s best playmakers is too much of an opportunity to pass up.

7. New England Patriots (f/ SF) – Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

This is probably a little high for Mike Jenkins, but it’s not too high for New England to pass him up. I don’t think any prospect was helped more by an underclassmen staying in school than Mike Jenkins was when Malcolm Jenkins decided to stay for his senior year. The Patriots will more than likely need to replace Asante Samuel in the off-season and are pretty weak after him.

8. Baltimore Ravens – Derrick Harvey, DE/LB, Florida

I think the Ravens would prefer to go for a CB here, but after Mike Jenkins was selected one pick before them, they have to look elsewhere. Brian Brohm was a thought here, but I really think this is too high for him. Baltimore finished in the bottom half of the league in sacks last year, and with the possible departure of Terrell Suggs, I think a pass rusher like Harvey makes the most sense.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern California

The Bengals had one of the worst defenses in football last season, so I expect this pick will be on that side of the ball. I considered Kenny Phillips, but I decided to go with Ellis here based on value. The addition to Ellis to the DL should boost their sack total, which was dead last in the NFL last season.

10. New Orleans Saints – Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California

The Saints have been looking for a stud LB for years now, without much success. Well, they may just get their guy with Keith Rivers. This may be a little high for Rivers, but after just missing out on Sedrick Ellis, he’s likely the next best thing.

11. Buffalo Bills – Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

This is a very difficult position for Buffalo to be in. They’d probably prefer to address WR, LB, CB, or even DE here. However, the value of those positions is really bad here. DeSean Jackson and Malcolm Kelly aren’t worth it this high, and Leodis McKelvin doesn’t fit the scheme. Balmer gives Buffalo another body on the DL who could rotate with Tripplett and McCargo.

12. Denver Broncos – Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami (FL)

There are a number of directions the Broncos could go here, but in the end I feel like taking Kenny Phillips is a no-brainer. I don’t see any value at some other positions of need and Phillips is arguably BPA here and fills one of their bigger needs.

13. Carolina Panthers – Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

Carolina will probably look long and hard at Brian Brohm to be their QB of the future, but in the end OT might just be too important. Both LT Travelle Wharton and RT Jordan Gross are free agents this off-season. Many expect Carolina to only re-sign one of them, if either. Although a bit raw, Clady would help ease the loss of whichever one they let go.

14. Chicago Bears – Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

Many people think the Bears will take a QB here, but for some reason I just don’t see it. I think if they go QB, they’ll wait until the 2nd or 3rd Round. The Bears’ OL was one of their biggest weaknesses last season and adding a guy like Otah, who could play RT or LT, would be a big help.

15. Detroit Lions – Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee

This seems a little too high for Mayo, but the Lions ran into some bad luck with the way the draft fell in front of them. Rumors of them going RB are out there, but with all their needs and depth at the position they’ll probably wait. Detroit desperately needs at CB, but the only one of value here (Leodis McKelvin) is the exact opposite of a fit for the Tampa-2.

16. Arizona Cardinals – Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

My first thought was to go with a DE/LB hybrid, but I quickly reconsidered. I honestly can’t see Groves or Ellis this high, and McKelvin is very good value at this point. This pick would give the Cardinals some options in the defensive backfield, as they could move Antrel Rolle to FS or Eric Green to Nickel CB.

17. Minnesota Vikings – DeSean Jackson, WR, California

With their late season run towards the playoffs, I think the Vikings opt to make a run again next year rather than draft Brian Brohm here. Tarvaris Jackson can play well enough for this team to make the playoffs, but he’s going to need some weapons. Jackson is the top receiver in the draft and arguably the top playmaker, although he is still very raw and 17 may be a little too high.

18. Houston Texans – Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Houston gets really lucky here as Rashard falls right into their laps. The Texans have more than a couple needs, but they haven’t had a franchise RB since their inception. It was a tough call with Jonathan Stewart on the board, but I think the Texans would take the more complete back in Mendenhall.

19. Philadelphia Eagles – Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

I think Talib’s stock is completely dependant on how he runs in the 40. If he’s in the mid-4.4 range, I think this is good value. Philly has plenty of needs, but depth at CB is near the top. Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard are a good tandem, but they both have hard time staying healthy for a full season.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

I have a feeling I’m going to hear it from Bucs fans, but I think this pick is a possibility. There is no doubt that Brohm is excellent value right here. Jeff Garcia is approaching 40 and I have a feeling that the Bucs aren’t going to turn the franchise over to Luke McCown or Bruce Gradkowski. Tampa may have bigger needs, but with the depth at WR, DE, and CB I think they can afford to make this pick.

21. Washington Redskins – Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (FL)

If the Redskins do indeed part ways with Cornelius Griffin, than I think this could be a guy like Pat Sims or Dre Moore could be the pick. However, I’m sticking with Campbell to take over at one of the DE spots. This seems a bit high for Campbell considering the season he had, but his rumored athleticism may warrant getting pick this high.

22. Seattle Seahawks – Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

I think Seattle may have just got the steal of the draft right here. There have been rumors that Shaun Alexander will not be back with the Seahawks next season. Not sure how true those are considering his contract, but it’s possible. Even if Alexander stays, he is going to be 31 before the 2008 season and had drastically declined the last few years.

23. Dallas Cowboys (f/ CLE) – Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin

Many Cowboys fans are furious with Jacque Reeves as their nickel back and Anthony Henry is getting up there in age and has struggled with injuries throughout his career. Ikegwuonu is a big corner with very good speed. I think this is good value for him, as long as his character issues check out, which most people feel they will.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

Many people are down on Cherilus after a poor senior year, but to be honest he just isn’t a fit at LT. However, he is an excellent prospect at RT and that’s where he’d likely play in the pros. The Steelers are expected to lose one or more of their starting OL and this pick would not only ease the loss, but possibly upgrade the line.

25. Tennessee Titans – Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

In his first two seasons in the NFL, Vince Young has really struggled as a passer. Many have blamed this on his receiving corps. In fact, one could probably argue that the Titans have the worst group of WR’s in the entire league. Malcolm Kelly is a legit future #1 who has a great combination of size and speed. This selection will finally give Vince Young a go-to guy.

26. New York Giants – Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

I first looked at the possibilities at LB and CB. However, when I couldn’t find anyone of value I looked at OT, and I think Chris Williams would be a good fit here. David Diehl played well at LT last season, but ultimately I think he fist better at his natural position of LG. Adding a potential LT like Williams could essentially upgrade the Giants’ OL in two spots.

27. San Diego Chargers – Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma

San Diego’s biggest needs may very well be CB and FS. So, why not get a player who can play both? With the possible departure of nickel back Drayton Florence and the poor play of Marlon McCree, the Chargers can try Smith at both spots and play him where he fits best. If Reggie Smith runs a 4.3, like he has been rumored to, he could be gone by now.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

Other than maybe WR, I think DE is the Jags’ biggest need. Jacksonville has drafted pass-catchers with three of their past four 1st Round picks. I just cannot imagine them taking a page out of Matt Millen’s book and making it four out of five. Merling is very underrated and was overshadowed by teammate Gaines Adams last year, and never got the recognition he deserved this year.

29. Dallas Cowboys – Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

I really didn’t want to make this pick, mainly because it’s become cliché. However, I really didn’t see anything else I liked at this point. I know Dallas needs OL, but I’m not sure Sam Baker’s ceiling at LT is big enough to warrant going this high. There is WR value, but I’m not sure I see a fit. The DL value here is sketchy at best. I think this picks does make sense, as Jones compliments Marion Barber well.

30. San Francisco 49ers (f/ IND) – Quentin Groves, LB, Auburn

San Francisco’s pass rush was pretty poor in 2007. Part of that was due to Manny Lawson going down with an injury. However, even with Lawson slated to come back next season; the 49ers could use someone opposite him. This may be a little high for Groves right now, but if he puts up the numbers some expect him to at the combine, he could go even higher.

31. Green Bay Packers – Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

I know everyone thinks Green Bay is going to take a CB, but it just didn’t work out that way with the way the draft fell. With the depth at corner and the Packers not being desperate for one, I think they can afford to wait. Connor is arguably BPA at this point, and he can play all three LB positions in a 4-3 defense. This pick solidifies Green Bay’s LB corps as one of the best in football.

32. New England Patriots – Forfeited (NFL Rules Violation)

Round 2
33. Miami Dolphins – Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
34. St. Louis Rams – Sam Baker, OT, Southern California
35. Oakland Raiders – Donnie Avery, WR, Houston
36. Kansas City Chiefs – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
37. New York Jets – Dre Moore, DE, Maryland
38. Atlanta Falcons – Pat Sims, DT, Auburn
39. Baltimore Ravens – Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
40. San Francisco 49ers – Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
41. New Orleans Saints – Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
42. Buffalo Bills – Fred Davis, TE, Southern California
43. Denver Broncos – Curtis Lofton, LB, Oklahoma
44. Carolina Panthers – Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
45. Chicago Bears – Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware
46. Detroit Lions – Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
47. Cincinnati Bengals – Ali Highsmith, LB, Louisiana State
48. Minnesota Vikings – Lawrence Jackson, DE, Southern California
49. Atlanta Falcons (f/ HOU) – Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska
50. Philadelphia Eagles – James Hardy, WR, Indiana
51. Arizona Cardinals – Chris Ellis, DE/LB, Virginia Tech
52. Washington Redskins – Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana
53. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
54. Cleveland Browns – Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina
55. Pittsburgh Steelers – Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
56. Tennessee Titans – Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas
57. New York Giants – Justin King, CB, Penn State
58. Seattle Seahawks – Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
59. Jacksonville Jaguars – Early Doucet, WR, Louisiana State
60. Miami Dolphins (f/ SD) – Ezra Butler, LB, Nevada
61. Indianapolis Colts – Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas
62. Dallas Cowboys – Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas
63. Green Bay Packers – Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
64. New England Patriots – Beau Bell, LB, Nevada – Las Vegas

Round 3
65. Miami Dolphins – Jamar Adams, SS, Michigan
66. St. Louis Rams – Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland
67. Kansas City Chiefs – Frank Okam, DT, Texas
68. New York Jets – Kirk Barton, OT, Ohio State
69. Atlanta Falcons – Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers
70. New England Patriots (f/ OAK) – Shawn Crable, LB, Michigan
71. San Francisco 49ers – Brandon Albert, OG, Virginia
72. Buffalo Bills (f/ BAL) – Philip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech
73. Buffalo Bills – DeJaun Tribble, CB, Boston College
74. Minnesota Vikings (f/ DEN) – Quintin Demps, FS, Texas – El Paso
75. Carolina Panthers – Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
76. Chicago Bears – Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida
77. Detroit Lions – Tony Hills, OT, Texas
78. Cincinnati Bengals – Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan
79. New Orleans Saints – Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
80. Houston Texans – Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
81. Philadelphia Eagles – Tommy Blake, DE, Texas Christian
82. Arizona Cardinals – Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia
83. Minnesota Vikings – Oneil Cousins, OT, Texas – El Paso
84. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Darrell Robertson, DE, Georgia Tech
85. Washington Redskins – Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
86. Pittsburgh Steelers – Mike Pollack, OC, Arizona State
87. Tennessee Titans – D.J. Hall, WR, Alabama
88. New York Giants – Xavier Adibi, LB, Virginia Tech
89. Seattle Seahawks – Chilo Rachal, OG, Southern California
90. Cleveland Browns – Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State
91. Chicago Bears (f/ SD) – DaJuan Morgan, SS, North Carolina State
92. Jacksonville Jaguars – DeMario Pressley, DT, North Carolina State
93. Dallas Cowboys – Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California
94. Indianapolis Colts – John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
95. Green Bay Packers – Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
96. New England Patriots – Heath Benedict, OG, Newberry

Round 4

97. Miami Dolphins – Richard Clebert, DT, South Florida
98. St. Louis Rams – Adrian Arrington, WR, Michigan
99. New York Jets – Cliff Avril, LB, Purdue
100. Atlanta Falcons – Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt
101. Oakland Raiders – Chad Rinehart, OT, Northern Iowa
102. Kansas City Chiefs – Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
103. Baltimore Ravens – Terrell Thomas, CB, Southern California
104. San Francisco 49ers – Maurice Murray, DE, New Mexico State
105. Denver Broncos – Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech
106. Carolina Panthers – Thomas DeCoud, FS, California
107. Chicago Bears – Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State
108. Detroit Lions – Michael Hart, RB, Michigan
109. Cincinnati Bengals – Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
110. New Orleans Saints – Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State
111. Buffalo Bills – Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville
112. Philadelphia Eagles – King Dunlap, OT, Auburn
113. Arizona Cardinals – Tyrell Johnson, FS, Arkansas State
114. Minnesota Vikings – Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
115. Houston Texans – Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
116. Denver Broncos (f/ WAS) – Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami (FL)
117. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Trae Williams, CB, South Florida
118. Tennessee Titans – Chevis Jackson, CB, Louisiana State
119. New York Giants – Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M
120. Seattle Seahawks – Jeremy Leman, LB, Illinois
121. Cleveland Browns – Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
122. Pittsburgh Steelers – Titus Brown, DE/LB, Mississippi State
123. Jacksonville Jaguars – Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona State
124. San Diego Chargers – Forfeited (Paul Oliver, 2007 Supplemental Draft)
125. Indianapolis Colts – Bruce Davis, DE, California – Los Angeles
126. Dallas Cowboys – Marcus Griffin, SS, Texas
127. Green Bay Packers – John Greco, OT, Toledo
128. New England Patriots – Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian State

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I like Oaklands draft though I dont like Avery much and would rather have Dre Moore.

Chucky
01-19-2008, 11:23 PM
For the bucs

1. Bucs fans on this board are pretty much split in half when it comes to Brohm. I personally love the pick, he is a good fit for the WCO, and will give Gruden something to work with, and someone to turn into a star

2. Would probably prefer somelike Early Doucet, although Devin Thomas would still be a decent pick

3. Awful pick Robertson projects as a RDE, and the bucs already have one in last years 4 overall pick, gaines adams. Not to mention Greg White who had over 8 sacks last year.

4. Trae Williams- Dont no too much about him, but fills a need. Chevis Jackson might fit in the cover 2 a bit better. But as said i dont no too much about williams

TRJ997
01-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm a Bucs fan and I don't hate the Brohm pick. We need a long term solution at QB and McCown most likely isn't it (hopefully I'm wrong). I would rather go Deshawn Jackson, left tackle, or Campbell in the 1st, but the way this mock fell out, Brohm seems like a decent pick. Just as long as we don't take Andre Woodson in the 1st.

Tampa 2 4 life
01-19-2008, 11:27 PM
1. Replace Brohm with Campbell.
2. Perfect
3. Josh Johnson please.
4. Perfect

BlindSite
01-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Carolina going DT over WR or safety is insane.

We've got an SS in chris harris who seems like a keeper but literally no one after him.

At WR we've got Smith, Jarrett, Carter and Colbert, two of those guys are free agents and Jarrett seems to still be a season away from getting regular play. We need another playmaker there or at TE to help out whomever will be at QB. I like the first and third picks, but the round 2 picks makes 0 sense.

Jenkins, Kemoeatu, Damoine Lewis is a great 3 tackle rotation.

Vikes99ej
01-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I like Jackson all right, but I'd rather have Chris Ellis in the second round than Lawrence Jackson.

thebow305
01-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Decent Miami draft

Safety is not a huge need for us, if we re-sign Yeremiah Bell and if he comes back from his injury ok, which most are expecting him to. Also, Jason Allen was starting to show flashes late in the season of what made him our first rounder in 06.

That being said.... i would rather go with EJ Henderson there and Collins instead of Butler in the second.

sdpads24
01-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Love the Chargers pick. Smith could be a perfect nickel guy for us and could eventually be groomed to take over at FS.

Caddy
01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I think as a whole, your Buc draft is reasonably sound. I personally don't mind Brohm in the first round and like him as a prospect, although Campbell would definitely be more tempting. Thomas in the 2nd is fine and realistically, any of 4-6 receivers could be selected in that position come draft day. Not a huge fan of the 3rd pick, I would much rather take a chance on Pressley there who I really like. Trae Williams is a good pick in the 4th and I think he would be relatively suited to play under Kiffin.

Pit Bull #53
01-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Not a bad job. Love Kelly in the first. It is obvious WR is a need, and he fits the bill in my opinion. I like the fact that he's sure handed.

Harrison in 2 is fine. I think there are a couple of better players that went right after him, but we need another body at DT. Randy Starks is garbage and should be gone, so that leaves us with little beyond the 2 starters. FA could change this, but that's the case with every pick.

3rd rounder is a bit iffy to me. I just don't see us bringing in another young WR after doing it in the first. Brandon Jones and Roydell have shown enough to stick as at least rotational guys, and in Roydell's case, probably a #2 or #3. Then with the addition of Paul Williams in the 3rd round last year and now Malcolm Kelly in the 1st this year, there would seem to be a logjam. If Kelly is to be the pick, and we still want to add another WR, it should be a vet in my opinion. Also throw in Justin Gage who had almost 800 yards this year and is still pretty young.

I think a guy like John Carlson would be perfect at that spot with Troupe being a FA and struggling with playing time anyway.

4th rounder seems fine as well. Don't know how well Chevis plays special teams, but that is something we desperately need...some more fast, aggressive guys to play on our coverage teams. Most of our current backup corners don't it well (Rey Hill and Kelly Herndon).

diabsoule
01-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I love the Saints first round pick.

In the second round I'd rather have Curtis Lofton. He'd shore up the linebackers and give us a great young starting linebacker group in Fujita, Lofton, and Rivers.

In the third I'd rather have Charles Godfrey.

I like Fluellen in the fourth. Good selection.

GB12
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Wow. I love it.

adschofield
01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
ehh...Chad Henne...Josh Johnson should probably the pick there, more upside

Yung Flippa
01-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Good Ravens draft, but questionable 1st round pick. Good Texans draft as well.

msealy2
01-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I like the DeSean Jackson, Lawerence Jackson, and Quintin Demps picks. For the second pick in the third round I would rather have John Carlson. But overall a very good Vikings draft.

Damix
01-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Really good mock for the Giants... I can see maybe Griffin instead of Bryant in the 4th, but either I would be happy with. Lets hope it plays out this way =D

JCutlery
01-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Damn good Denver draft, though I'd prefer Red Bryant over Duane Brown.

Geo
01-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Nice job, PL. Four rounds is tough stuff.

I'd be a happy camper if the Colts' first four rounds ended that way, though I doubt Charles and Carlson fall that far respectively.

energizerbunny
01-20-2008, 02:12 AM
The Gholston to Rams is something i've thought about quite a bit lately, I think it makes sence... Gholston + Carriker could form a lethal Duo and finally take that St Louis defence to a level they haven't seen in a really,really long time.

Jensen
01-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Overall a pretty good Cardinals mock, but I really dislike the pick of Slaton. He reminds me a lot of J.J. Arrington, which isn't a good thing.

LonghornsLegend
01-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Pretty good job with the cowboys for how deep you went...I could definately see lavelle hawkins later on, we could go elsewhere but I think we look at him especially for where he's being taken at...And if we got Marcus Griffin in the 4th I would be exstatic, we would finally have a safety to roam in the secondary, he plays alot like michael griffin and roy would slowly start to diminish his role...

Also great pick with Jack Ikegwuonu, we need cb with our first pick and I really like his fit in our defense

overall id be pretty happy about this draft

Don Killuminati
01-20-2008, 03:31 AM
4. Oakland Raiders – Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State

This pick was a toss up between Dorsey and McFadden, but I think the Raiders would opt for Dorsey. Oakland was 31st against the run last season, and the poor play of their DL was a big reason why. I’ve also heard the Raiders are trying to resign Justin Fargas, so I think they’ll hold off on RB.

Purrrrty.

35. Oakland Raiders – Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Johnny Lee Higgins again?

Ugly pick from every angle, especially value.

Moore, Sims, Lofton (Has he really reached 2nd round status?), Ahtyba Rubin (Kinda low, eh?), Ellis, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, even one of the bigger/slower WRs would make sense here.

70. New England Patriots (f/ OAK) –

Mario freaking Henderson. I may never forgive these idiots for that waste of two draft picks.

101. Oakland Raiders – Chad Rinehart, OT, Northern Iowa

Had to go digging here. Scott says he has great feet but poor footwork. That's an interesting conundrum.

Definitely need to think OL in the middle rounds. Still, with guys like DeCoud (safety seems to be a top team priority this offseason), Kendall Langford, and Red Bryant (Burgess is the only DL currently on the roster who should even be considered a starter. Dorsey needs another partner) still on the board, I might be inclined to focus on OL depth in free agency.

Nice work going 4 rounds. Damned if I could do it.

Don Killuminati
01-20-2008, 03:43 AM
10. New Orleans Saints – Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California

The Saints have been looking for a stud LB for years now, without much success. Well, they may just get their guy with Keith Rivers. This may be a little high for Rivers, but after just missing out on Sedrick Ellis, he’s likely the next best thing.
Strong pick. Kenny Phillips might be a stronger pick, considering the LB talent available in Rd2.

41. New Orleans Saints – Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn

Major need pick.

79. New Orleans Saints – Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt

Interesting pick. Devery Henderson won't be hard to replace, so there's no pressure on Bennett to do anything early on.

But, if NOLA is going to take a WR with marginal speed, I think Bowman is the better pick. A load to bring down, and also a guy who can block on the edges, helping maximize Bush's abilities. Another Colston, basically. But more physical.

Going DT or even CB again seems more likely than taking Bennett there.

110. New Orleans Saints – Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State
Right position, but probably not a great pick. Bryant or Langford probably have a much better shot at developing into starters.

Don Killuminati
01-20-2008, 03:56 AM
12. Denver Broncos – Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami (FL)

There are a number of directions the Broncos could go here, but in the end I feel like taking Kenny Phillips is a no-brainer. I don’t see any value at some other positions of need and Phillips is arguably BPA here and fills one of their bigger needs.
Agreed. No-brainer here.
43. Denver Broncos – Curtis Lofton, LB, Oklahoma
Makes sense, but I think they actually intend to keep Williams inside. I don't personally agree with it, but...whatever.

I'd look for them to go either DT or WR here. With Walker wanting out and Marshall venting his displeasure as well, some insurance would be nice here. At DT, they're not much better than Oakland.

105. Denver Broncos – Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech
Makes sense.

gdamac
01-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Great Raiders pick in the first, second round I am not a fan of. Adarius Bowman, Adrian Arrington, D.J. Hall, James Hardy, and Limas Sweed would all be better options, IMO. In the 4th, don't know that guy but if he fits zone blocking it's a good pick. But since you have him still on the board, give the Radiers Steve Justice C who fits zone blocking.

princefielder28
01-20-2008, 08:26 AM
wonderful job w/ GB

Matthew Jones
01-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Mike Jenkins is the standard pick for the Patriots now, unfortunately. Too bad his instincts/mental capacity aren't that great, he's not a very physical cornerback, and he's predominantly man-coverage in a scheme that mostly uses the zone and stresses physicality and mental capacity. Plus, if the Patriots aren't willing to shell out for Asante Samuel, why the hell would they shell out for some unproven college player? Unfortunately, the Patriots are in a terrible position this year (#6 would be infinitely better), so Jenkins is as possible as anyone. I'd rather have Dan Connor, but I doubt he goes that high, or someone like Derrick Harvey.

I think it's pretty safe to say Beau Bell has dropped well past the second round now that underclassmen have declared. Erin Henderson is a better player. There's really no one outstanding you left the Patriots there, so I guess Henderson would be my choice.

Shawn Crable would be a pretty good fit, but he's a 3-4 OLB and after Vrabel is re-signed, they'll have Vrabel/Thomas as their outside linebackers for the near future. I'd take Charles Godfrey because he's outstanding value in my opinion, but you gave us Mike Jenkins. :/ So maybe Brandon Albert or Schuening or Rubin or something. There's no NT depth behind Wilfork and Stephen Neal missed a bunch of games this year.

It's really tough because there aren't a lot of good Patriots picks to be made in that draft, if it goes how you did. It's decent, could be a lot better, but not in that situation.

BamaFalcon59
01-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Nice Falcons draft.

Matt Ryan, QB Boston College- Perfect reasoning and I agree.
Pat Sims, DT Auburn- Love the value.
Carl Nicks- Eh. Need OT but iffy value.
Ray Rice- Love it.
Jonathan Goff- Eh. If we move to a 3-4 he would be a nice pick as a buck ILB, but if not we need a bit more mobility.

luckyjackaubrey
01-20-2008, 09:58 AM
What's the thought process on the Pats taking 2 guards in the mid rounds ? We have a pro bowler, a top 30 guy , a great backup with loads of starting experience, and a 4th guy who has started multiple times including playoff action.

BB does often tap the draft for late round o-line stuff, but I would think you would see a flood of d backs and linebackers, speed/strength prospects.

Sniper
01-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Great Eagles draft. If I could nitpick, I'd swap Jack Ikegwuonu for Aqib Talib, but that's about it.

tylerb929
01-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice job, PL. Four rounds is tough stuff.

I'd be a happy camper if the Colts' first four rounds ended that way, though I doubt Charles and Carlson fall that far respectively.

Yeah, I loved the 3rd and 4th round picks. Heck, I'd be happy with John Carlson and Bruce Davis in the 2nd and 3rd. I'll live with the Jamaal Charles pick because the other two are so great, but from what I've been told the guy is completely brain dead, but I guess he would fill the role of spelling Addai and be a competent kick returner, so definately happy with the picks.

Hines
01-20-2008, 10:23 AM
First rounder- I do not like Cherlius. Give us Baker and thats a beter pick.

Second rounder- I would like Sweed right there. He would be a steal and an instant impact in the redzone.

Third rounder- Great pick. Love it. Will be in the same class as Webster, Dawson, Hartings IMO.

Fourth rounder- Great pick. Will be a great pass rusher for us. Has a mean streak and will bring toughness back to the 'Burgh!

Steelers grade: B

fenikz
01-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Good draft up until Slaton, he is a basic clone of J.J. Arrington who hasn't done anything with the Cardinals, a wasted pick IMO, rather wait a bit and take a guy like Choice, Boyd or Forte

and Bowman in the 3rd doesn't make any since unless you are expecting him to run a 4.8 and even then like Boldin he would only drop to the late 2nd

aNYtitan
01-20-2008, 12:07 PM
25. Tennessee Titans – Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

[FONT=Verdana]In his first two seasons in the NFL, Vince Young has really struggled as a passer. Many have blamed this on his receiving corps. In fact, one could probably argue that the Titans have the worst group of WR’s in the entire league. Malcolm Kelly is a legit future #1 who has a great combination of size and speed. This selection will finally give Vince Young a go-to guy.
No brainer pick here, just fills a need and is a BPA. Will be Young's go to man for years to come

Titans – Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas
Hmm..this is an interesting selection. I could see the need with the possibility of releasing Randy Starks, but I think TE is much more of a impending need such as Martin Rucker

Titans – Chevis Jackson, CB, Louisiana State
Don't see the need at all, unless we release Pacman, which is possible, but still unlikely imo. Much better players are available here such as Red Bryant to fill our DT need. I think taking the much better TE will be a better route to go to in round 2

Thunder&Lightning
01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
like the SD pick

cardsalltheway
01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Jamaal Charles and John Carlson? I don't even care who the fourth rounder is, that's an epic Colts draft.

Rich Jr
01-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I love the Saints first round pick.

In the second round I'd rather have Curtis Lofton. He'd shore up the linebackers and give us a great young starting linebacker group in Fujita, Lofton, and Rivers.

In the third I'd rather have Charles Godfrey.

I like Fluellen in the fourth. Good selection.Man Fred Davis is really tempting in the 2nd.

diabsoule
01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Man Fred Davis is really tempting in the 2nd.

For some, yes, but I'd rather build up the defense with young, talented players.

T-RICH49
01-20-2008, 12:52 PM
[/FONT] 5. Kansas City Chiefs – Jake Long, OT, Michigan

The Chiefs once had one of, if not the best OL in all of football. However, after leading the league in sacks given up, that seems like a long time ago. Jake Long would provide a much needed upgrade at LT and not only help lower the opponent’s sack totals, but give Larry Johnson a stud run-blocker for years to come.

Great pick

36. Kansas City Chiefs – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State

good pick

67. Kansas City Chiefs – Frank Okam, DT, Texas

good pick

[FONT=Verdana]102. Kansas City Chiefs – Chad Henne, QB, Michigan

Would prefer Shuening here

Xiomera
01-20-2008, 12:53 PM
15. Detroit Lions – Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee

This seems a little too high for Mayo, but the Lions ran into some bad luck with the way the draft fell in front of them. Rumors of them going RB are out there, but with all their needs and depth at the position they’ll probably wait. Detroit desperately needs at CB, but the only one of value here (Leodis McKelvin) is the exact opposite of a fit for the Tampa-2.

I really don't like this pick, P-L. Where would he play? SLB? MLB? Where does that put Lenon?

I know I am probably higher on Talib than most people right now, but I would prefer a CB to a LB here. The best LB value is in the 2nd and 3rd round. I would rather have Dan Connor to be honest, and I am sure Millen has a soft spot for PSU Linebackers having been one himself.

Rd. 2 pick is dependant on who is taken at 15. I might prefer someone like Lawrence Jackson or Ali Highsmith instead here.

Rd. 3 pick is interesting. I love Mike Hart, but I don't know that he would be as effective outside of a zone-blocking type scheme that he ran in at U-M. Can't say its a bad pick though. Definitely a Marinelli-type player.

Jakey
01-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Solid Steelers draft...even tough they are not my favourite prospects, you nailed the positions of need.

OSUGiants17
01-20-2008, 01:28 PM
nice G-Men draft

KCJ58
01-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Best Rams Mock Draft Ever!

Young Legend
01-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Dont like the Avery pick..

Devin Thomas.Mario Manningham would be better picks..

bearsfan_51
01-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Personally I would rather go Brohm-Nicks than Otah-Flacco, but the last two picks (Morgan-Schuening) are great so I can't complain. I would like that draft, particularly Morgan in the late 3rd.

Bobo
01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Props on 4 rounds first of all.

I like Kelly for the Titans in the 1st.

Harrison could be a good DT in the 2nd, that is if his issues aren't too serious. I don't think the Titans want to play around very much any more with idiots.

As much as I like DJ hall, I can't see the Titans taking 2 WR's in the first 3 rounds. They have young guys who will most likely see the field a lot more this year. Carlson looks like the better deal there, and it's arguable that our TE need is greater than our WR need.

Jackson sounds fine in the 4th. He's looked good to me, and we need CB depth.

skiinginNJ
01-20-2008, 04:21 PM
really like the giants draft. pretty much perfect.

suprised to see erin henderson fall to the third though

P-L
01-20-2008, 05:00 PM
3rd rounder is a bit iffy to me. I just don't see us bringing in another young WR after doing it in the first. Brandon Jones and Roydell have shown enough to stick as at least rotational guys, and in Roydell's case, probably a #2 or #3. Then with the addition of Paul Williams in the 3rd round last year and now Malcolm Kelly in the 1st this year, there would seem to be a logjam. If Kelly is to be the pick, and we still want to add another WR, it should be a vet in my opinion. Also throw in Justin Gage who had almost 800 yards this year and is still pretty young.

I think a guy like John Carlson would be perfect at that spot with Troupe being a FA and struggling with playing time anyway.
For whatever reason, when I made the D.J. Hall pick I assumed I gave the Titans a TE in Round 1. If I were to do it over again, either John Carlson or Jermichael Finley would've gotten the nod.

P-L
01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say Beau Bell has dropped well past the second round now that underclassmen have declared. Erin Henderson is a better player. There's really no one outstanding you left the Patriots there, so I guess Henderson would be my choice.
I think Beau Bell is still in the late 2nd Round mix. I also think he's a better fit for the 3-4 than Henderson is.

P-L
01-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I really don't like this pick, P-L. Where would he play? SLB? MLB? Where does that put Lenon?
He would play MLB and Lenon will still be moving to SLB.

P-L
01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
What's the thought process on the Pats taking 2 guards in the mid rounds ? We have a pro bowler, a top 30 guy , a great backup with loads of starting experience, and a 4th guy who has started multiple times including playoff action.
This is why this is my first and likely last mock draft. I simply looked over the Heath Benedict pick when I made the Kerry Brown pick. Just a mistake.

luckyjackaubrey
01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Sorry if that sounded like a put down. Hardly my intent. I applaud all who put the effort into these mocks and I honestly don't folllow the college game enough to have the insight into all the players coming outl. I read, ask questions and learn. You've been at this too long to let feedback deter you from something you get a kick out of.

asmitty45
01-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Love Cason and Hills, but we could get Mayo in round 2 and Hart is a bad pick with TJ and Kevin still in the backfield. I'd rather have mckelvin or calais in the first over mayo

jdb1972
01-20-2008, 07:18 PM
I doubt the Panthers will even scout Brohm. I'd love to get Clady at that pick, though.

Not too crazy about the next three picks. DT's possible in round #2 (even likely), but I'm not enthused about the player. With the post-Rae-Carruth push toward character in the Panther front office, I can't see them touching Colt Brennan, even if they weren't already full up with QB prospects.

I would expect a first day power RB, but I'm not sure there's one available the way this draft falls.

etk
01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
1. Replace Brohm with Campbell.
2. Perfect
3. Josh Johnson please.
4. Perfect

Yeah, pretty much.

1. I know it's hard making mocks when the QB falls farther than you like it to, so then you force it to one team that probably won't draft it. That's the case here. Brohm is not the best fit for our offense and that's basically all Gruden cares about when drafting QBs. If we do draft a QB this year, which I doubt we will, it will be a system guy later on, like Josh Johnson or Paul Smith.
2. I didn't look at the other WRs available, but it's probably not worth it. Thomas is a fine pick.
3. Josh Johnson. Robertson isn't what we need at the DE position. We need a LDE that's stout against the run.
4. Perfect.

iloxygenil
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
How about the Falcons draft looking like this instead.

1.) Jake Long
2.) Pat Sims
2.) Carl Nicks
3.) Kevin Smith (Rice would be next on my list)
4.) Josh Johnson

01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Great first pick for the Raiders. Huge reach in round two with a better-suited "slot" receiver in Avery when there is much better, complete receivers still left on the board. We already have our slot guy in Johnnie Lee Higgins.

SteelCityNightmare
01-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State

If he is around for the Steelers pick in round 3, I think they grab him up. Other than that, good mock

tjsunstein
01-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Good draft for the packers

Handel
01-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I still wonder if Jenkins is the right player for the Pats at #7. I would have preferred Harvey. And why 2 guards (rd 3 and 4)?

Ewing
01-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I love the first round pick but I'd rather go with Earl Bennett in the second in that situation and then pick John Carlson in the third. I would also consider picking Andre Caldwell in the fourth but three wide receivers with our first four picks might be over doing it. Ben Moffitt, Darnell Terrell, Terrence Wheatley, Dwight Lowerey and Red Bryant would all be good picks in the fourth.

ABWA757
01-22-2008, 07:36 AM
1.Very origional Buffalo Pick tho a huge reach
2. Love davis
3a.Great pick
3b.Good pick

Overall= B-