PDA

View Full Version : Norm Chow UCLA's new OC

soybean
01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
link to follow

EDIT: http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/

Norm Chow has accepted UCLA offensive coordinator's job, according to sources. Here is something I wrote for online.

By Brian Dohn
Staff Writer
UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel completed the daily doubles of coordinators when Norm Chow accepted the offensive coordinators role Sunday, according to sources
Chow, the former Tennessee Titans and USC offensive coordinator, gives Neuheisel a formidable staff along with defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker.
Ironically, Neuheisel, Chow and Walker each interviewed for the head coaching job.
A UCLA official declined comment.
Chow was a long-time offensive coordinator at BYU, but made his mark nationally as the offensive coordinator at USC, tutoring Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart.
He spent the last three seasons as the offensive coordinator of the NFL’s Tennessee Titans, but was fired last week. Neuheisel was waiting for Chow to decide whether or not he would return to college football, attempt to secure another NFL job or take a year off from coaching.
Part of the lure of coaching at UCLA is Chow’s family remains in Southern California, where he owns a house.
He will take over a UCLA offense that struggled the last three seasons, but there is experience at quarterback with seniors Ben Olson and Patrick Cowan.

bearsfan_51
01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I know most people are going to love this move, but I'm unconvinced for two reasons.

1) Chow is arguably a better offensive mind than Neuheisel, and is arguably the better candidate to be head coach. How is that going to work when both are known for being creative offensive minds, and both are trying to re-establish their credibility so to speak.

2) How long is Chow going to stay there? I'd say two years tops. What kind of offense are they going to install and how much influence is he going to have knowing that he probably won't stay there that long.

I dunno...could be wrong on both accounts, but he's almost too qualified for this job.

soybean
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
plus, i keep hearing that he's 2 years away from an NFL pension. thought he'd stay in the league.

Jericho@SC
01-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Good hire for UCLA, but they're not going to win the National Championship next year, or even the year after that.

UCLA's recruiting might look good this year, but they are going run into some real trouble on the offensive line the next couple of years thanks to Dorrell's neglect of OL prospects in years past. They have no real playmakers on offense.

Dewayne Walker is a good defensive coach, but even with 9 seniors on defense last year, they gave up 44, 31, 27, and 34 pts to Utah, Washington, Washington State and Arizona. Not to mention they were beat by Notre Dame's anemic offense for 20.

I don't see Dewayne Walker staying for much longer, as he could be offered a head coaching gig as soon as next year. Norm Chow is 61. He might bolt after his Titan's Contract is up (Tennessee pays him about a million for the next two years, even while he coaches for UCLA).

LonghornsLegend
01-21-2008, 01:36 AM
but he's almost too qualified for this job.

That was my first thought when I heard about this hire

diabsoule
01-21-2008, 01:57 AM

Mine as well.

San Diego Chicken
01-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Big hire for UCLA. Even if the team never becomes a juggernaut offense under him, the positive buzz around his name is going to be good for the program's future. Five star quarterback recruits are going to want to be coached by Chow, and having watched UCLA a decent amount, quarterback has been their biggest problem area since Drew Olson left.

Rick Neuheisel/Norm Chow/DeWayne Walker... that is an impressive coaching staff on paper and a huge upgrade over what they've had.

Patriots16-0
01-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I think Chow should be UCLA's HC, not OC. But they already have Neuheisel (sp).

LonghornsLegend
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
But how long do they plan on keeping that staff assembled?? I cant see Chow staying their for 5 years, so if a qb does get excited about his name, he has to realize he probably wont finish out his career there

And they are at least 4 years away from consistently competing for the Pac-10 title

Stoopid512
01-22-2008, 06:57 AM
I for one saw him going to perhaps a smaller prestige school to flex his muscles into a developing program, similar to what UCLA is involved in against the other Pac-10 giants (USC, AZ State, Oregon, etc), but I didn't see him going to UCLA. I was thinking Washington State, Oregon State, etc., if he went back to college.

I thought he'd may even try to size up one of the head coaching jobs in the NFL...

TouchdownUSC
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Well he single handedly ruined his reputation at USC by making this move. My guess is he isn't likable enough to be a head coach and I know him and Pete Carroll didn't exactly see eye to eye.

jag
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Well he single handedly ruined his reputation at USC by making this move. My guess is he isn't likable enough to be a head coach and I know him and Pete Carroll didn't exactly see eye to eye.

It's been rumored that he partially took the job to get back at Pete Carrol who he supposedly didn't end on good terms with. But I imagine thats not a big reason, the main reason is that he is going to have a back loaded contract that won't pay him a dime until his deal with Tennessee is up, and he will still be making big bucks at UCLA. My guess is a 4 year 2 Million dollar deal.

It's huge not because he's a great coordinator, but because he will really help UCLA keep there heads above water with the USC recruiting game. Imagine being a High School QB and getting a phone call from Norm Chow asking you to come play for him. With the resume that he has our Offensive recruiting should be better than it ever has been.

Thunder&Lightning
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
UCLA scored with this but i doubt he will stay long...

TouchdownUSC
01-28-2008, 04:38 PM
I agree, Norm Chow seems like the kind of person who is a bit of an oppertunist.

RAZERSAINTS
02-08-2008, 09:53 AM

ha ha ha me too