PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get the loss out of my head. 2 round mock draft.

Hitemhard05
01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
I don’t like predicting trades, but it’s a necessary evil sometimes.

New England Patriots get #10 overall, #79 overall and a 2009 3rd round pick
New Orleans Saints get #7 overall

Buffalo Bills get #14 overall, #76 overall
Chicago Bears get #11 overall

Carolina Panthers get #22 overall, #58 overall
Seattle Seahawks get #13 overall

Arizona Cardinals get #24 overall, Adam “Pacman” Jones
Tennessee Titans get #16 overall

1. Miami Dolphins – Chris Long | DE/OLB | Virginia
I like this pick more and more everyday. There’s really no stand-out #1 player in the draft, no can’t-miss prospects right at the top so Miami is best off with a rather safe pick. Bill Parcells and Al Groh have a great relationship, and I’m sure they have discussed Mr. Long many times. Chris just seems like a Parcells type of guy, and he could bring a great pass-rush to Miami.

2. St. Louis Rams – Glenn Dorsey | DT | LSU
I really don’t see them taking Jake Long here, as I’m sure Orlando Pace will try and make a comeback. McFadden is being rumored, but it really wouldn’t make sense. Just because Jackson had an off year doesn’t make him mediocre. He is probably still a top-five back in the league. Their defense was awful last year, and we all know that everything starts in the trenches. Dorsey has been tearing up the SEC for the past couple of years, and he would get a chance to do the same in St. Louis.

3. Oakland Raiders – Darren McFadden | RB | Arkansas
Not many people give the Raiders the #3 pick in mock drafts, but they’ve got just as good of a chance as Atlanta, so why not put them here in my mock. That said, if they do get lucky and find themselves picking third, McFadden should fall right in their laps. Justin Fargas performed well near the end of the season, but you’re kidding yourself if you think he’s a franchise back. McFadden is too talented for old-man Al to pass up.

4. Kansas City Chiefs – Jake Long | OT | Michigan
I shouldn’t even have to explain this pick. Long has been the best offensive lineman in college football for the past two years, and I feel he is the best player in the draft. As a Chargers fan, I would be pretty upset if the Raiders land McFadden and KC gets Jake Long. This would be a good pick for the future of Kansas City, but they’ve still got a lot of work to do in order to be a contender again.

5. Atlanta Falcons – Matt Ryan | QB | Boston College
If they were put in this position, picking #5 with McFadden and Long gone, they would have to take Ryan. I understand taking those two over Ryan, but when your need for a QB is so evident, you can’t pass up Matt Ryan right here. The fans say that a rookie QB isn’t what the Falcons need, but I say any QB is better than what they’ve got now. If they bring in a QB through free agency I’ll change the pick, but as of now Ryan is a good choice.

6. New York Jets – Vernon Gholston | DE/OLB | Ohio State
This is pretty much the dream pick for the Jets right now, and it seems pretty likely. Of course, you never know what’s going to happen come draft day, but this pick is looking like a good one. Gholston knows how to get pressure on the quarterback, something the Jets current defenders can’t quite grasp.

7. New Orleans Saints (f/NE[f/SF]) – Sedrick Ellis | DT | USC
I really think New Orleans is going to fall in love with Ellis, and will do whatever necessary to get him if he falls past Oakland. Both Baltimore and Cincinnati could definitely draft him, so New Orleans would be smart to move up and secure their pick. Ellis has torn up offensive lines for two years at USC, and with his great ability I expect him to do the same in the NFL.

8. Baltimore Ravens – Brian Brohm | QB | Louisville
I think after the Senior Bowl and combine Brohm will be considered a top ten pick again. He’s got all the talent, things just fell apart around him in Louisville this season. He can and will show that he’s still worth his pre-season status, and I think it will be enough to make Baltimore bite. They’ve given Boller and McNair their fair shots, and while Smith hasn’t exactly had his I honestly don’t think he deserves it. They should just let him be an afterthought, and go ahead and pull the trigger on Brohm.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – Keith Rivers | OLB | USC
I’m sure the Bengals would feel slightly angry if New Orleans were to move up and steal Ellis from them, but they should be just as happy with his teammate Rivers. Keith is truly a special linebacker, and I expect him to have a great NFL career. Cincinnati could use a guy like this.

10. New England Patriots (f/NO) – Mike Jenkins | CB | South Florida
If offered, I don’t see New England passing up a trade down with New Orleans, or even Buffalo. Jenkins would surely still be around for the pick here, and they just add more selections by trading down a few spots. They are in need of a cornerback whether or not Asante Samuel leaves, but if he does decide to chase the cash, they will more than likely draft a cornerback early.

11. Chicago Bears (f/BUF) – Ryan Clady | OT | Boise St.
Denver and Carolina are definitely taking a hard look at Clady, and with Chicago doing the same thing I could see them moving up to get their guy. They definitely could use Clady, and with his potential they would be doing themselves a favor by picking him up.

12. Denver Broncos – Kenny Phillips | S | Miami
John Lynch is close to hanging up his cleats, and they really have no other competent players at safety. Phillips has a ton of talent, and I’m sure the coaches in Denver could bring out the best in him.

13. Seattle Seahawks – Jonathan Stewart | RB | Oregon
By the time the draft rolls around I guarantee Jonathan Stewart will be looking like a top ten pick. Unfortunately for him, the teams that want him all have mid-first round picks. He’s really an athletic freak, and I fully expect him to show that off at the combine and in work-outs. When he runs a 4.35 and weighs in at 235 with 8% bodyfat teams will take notice. Seattle will have to trade up if they want Stewart to stay in the Northwest, which they very well should.

14. Buffalo Bills – Aqib Talib | CB | Kansas
With an intelligent move Buffalo traded back a few spots to pick up an extra first day pick to work with, and they still get a good player here. Talib is tall and fast, he should fit in well in Buffalo.

15. Detroit Lions – Leodis McKelvin | CB | Troy
Detoit desperately needs secondary help, and with a good offseason McKelvin can prove he’s worth a top 20 pick. There’s not much else the Lions can do with this pick, although I suppose they could trade down there wouldn’t be too many offers. Their best bet would just be to take McKelvin and hope he develops into the play he has the chance to be.

16. Tennessee Titans (f/ARI) – Malcolm Kelly | WR | Oklahoma
That would be an outstanding move for Tennessee; assuming everything boils over with Pacman Jones’ off-the-field situation and he is available to trade. Arizona needs a big-play corner, and Tennessee would like to move up for a top-tier wide out. Kelly is certainly worth this pick, it’s right around where he should go. He’s big, fast and highly athletic, which would provide Vince Young with a nice target to over-throw, or better yet under-throw.

17. Minnesota Vikings – Calias Campbell | DE | Miami (Fl)
I really doubt the Vikings front-office would feel good about their draft if they take a wide out with their first pick, despite the glaring need. With that said, I believe Campbell would be an excellent pick for Minnesota and would have a serious shot at success there. DeSean Jackson could be the pick, but like I said I just don’t think they want to deal with another Troy Williamson.

18. Houston Texans – Rashard Mendenhall | RB | Illinois
Houston is definitely in the market for a running back, and luckily for them they can probably just sit tight with their pick and draft a good one. Whether it’s Mendenhall, or the superbly talented Stewart, the Texans would be well-off.

19. Philadelphia Eagles – DeSean Jackson | WR | California
Philadelphia could go many different directions with this pick. They could look at an offensive tackle like Jeff Otah, a cornerback or they could fill their most glaring need, which is wide receiver. They’ve got little-to-no talent on the outside, and adding a speedy playmaker like DeSean Jackson could do a world of good for this offense. Philadelphia could also use a return-man, which is probably Jackson’s biggest strength.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Andre Woodson | QB | Kentucky
This doesn’t really seem like a likely pick at this point, and Tampa may be looking at a safer pick like a wide receiver or linebacker, but I really think Woodson will prove he’s worthy of a first round selection. When Garcia retires, Tampa is going to need someone who can pick up where he left off, and despite his slow wind-up, Woodson is extremely talented and I think he is being overlooked by many.

21. Washington Redskins – Phillip Merling | DE | Clemson
I had this pick in my last mock draft, and I’m sticking with it. I really like the way that Merling would fit in Washington’s defense, as he is exactly what they need. A big, powerful defensive end, Merling is the perfect example of a 4-3 DE. While he’s not as athletic, I liken him to Julius Peppers. I think he’s that good.

22. Carolina Panthers – Jeff Otah | OT | Pittsburgh
This would work wonderfully for Carolina, if they were to trade back here and still pick up a quality guy like Otah. They’ve got both of their offensive tackles with expiring contracts this offseason, and I expect them to only re-sign one of them. That will leave a big hole on their offensive line which should be addressed through the draft.

23. Dallas Cowboys (f/CLE) – Reggie Smith | CB/S | Oklahoma
Reggie Smith really is a special talent, and with Dallas likely looking for both a safety and cornerback this offseason, Smith would be a great addition. Jack Ikegwuonu could also be an option, but I think Smith would just edge him out here.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Sam Baker | OT | USC
The Steelers will likely lose one or more offensive lineman this offseason, so they will certainly be looking to pick a few replacements up in the draft. Sam Baker had somewhat of an off year, but he’s still a very solid prospect, and the type of guy I could see in black and gold.

25. Arizona Cardinals (f/TEN) – Derrick Harvey | DE | Florida
It would be a great move if Arizona could trade down with Tennessee, as they are going through dry spells in Arizona, and one of Jones’ specialties is making it rain. Joking aside though, Arizona could use a player like Pacman, as long as he stays away from the strip clubs. Picking up Harvey here would be great value as well, and could provide a pass-rush that’s desperately needed in Arizona.

26. San Diego Chargers – Kentwan Balmer | DT | North Carolina
San Diego needs a safety, some O-line depth and a player to learn behind Jamal Williams for a year, maybe two. Right here, they should choose the latter, and draft Balmer.

27. Jacksonville Jaguars – Limas Sweed | WR | Texas
Jacksonville has wasted too many picks on receivers in the last few years, but they just aren’t left with too many choices right here. Sweed is coming off a big injury, and could have been a much higher pick than this, so Jacksonville should feel good about him.

28. Green Bay Packers - Jack Ikegwuonu | CB | Wisconsin
This would seemingly be the perfect pick for Green Bay, getting the hometown boy in a position that they definitely need help with. Ikegwuonu, or as he’s more affectionately known; Ike, is one of the most talented corners in the draft, but due to off-field problems his stock is lower than what it should be.

29. Dallas Cowboys – Adarius Bowman | WR | Oklahoma St.
Many people like to think Dallas would draft a running back like Felix Jones here, but personally even if they let Julius Jones go, I believe they are set with Marion Barber. That guy is an animal, and they don’t need to waste a pick on a change-of-pace back.

30. San Francisco 49ers (f/IND) – James Hardy | WR | Indiana
Hardy is a huge target, and the Niners are surely in the market for one of those. When I say huge, I mean that most literally, as Hardy is 6-7. He’s got good speed as well, and is the best red-zone target in the draft.

31. New York Giants - Erin Henderson | LB | Maryland
Erin Henderson is another one of those physical freaks to come from Maryland. Even though he’s not as highly touted as those who came before him, I think he can make a huge impact wherever he goes. Henderson plays with great instincts, and his speed gives him a great advantage. The Giants linebackers have been playing well recently, but they still could use a player like Henderson.

32. New England Patriots – Forfeited.

33. Miami Dolphins – Chris Williams | OT | Vanderbilt
34. St. Louis Rams – Dan Connor | LB | Penn State
35. Atlanta Falcons – Felix Jones | RB | Arkansas
36. Kansas City Chiefs – Early Doucet | WR | LSU
37. Oakland Raiders – Pat Sims | DT | Auburn
38. New York Jets – Gosder Cherilus | OT | Boston College
39. Baltimore Ravens – Lawrence Jackson | DE | USC
40. San Francisco 49ers – Quentin Groves | DE/OLB | Auburn
41. New Orleans Saints – Patrick Lee | CB | Auburn
42. Buffalo Bills – Martellus Bennett | TE | Texas A&M
43. Denver Broncos – Dre Moore | DT | Maryland
44. Carolina Panthers – Chris Ellis | DE | Virginia Tech
45. Chicago Bears – Chris Johnson | RB | ECU
46. Detroit Lions – Ali Highsmith | LB | LSU
47. Cincinnati Bengals – Frank Okam | DT | Texas
48. Arizona Cardinals – Jamaal Charles | RB | Texas
49. Minnesota Vikings – Devin Thomas | WR | Michigan State
50. Atlanta Falcons (f/HOU) – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie | CB | Tennessee St.
51. Philadelphia Eagles – Justin King | CB | Penn State
52. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Mario Manningham | WR | Michigan
53. Washington Redskins – Earl Bennett | WR | Vanderbilt
54. Cleveland Browns – DeMario Pressley | DE/DT | NC State
55. Pittsburgh Steelers – Donnie Avery | WR | Houston
56. Tennessee Titans – Brandon Flowers | CB | Virginia Tech
57. Carolina Panthers (f/SEA) - Roy Schuening | OG | Oregon St.
58. Miami Dolphins (f/SD) – Curtis Lofton | LB | Oklahoma
59. Jacksonville Jaguars – Jason Jones | DE | Eastern Michigan
60. Green Bay Packers – Shawn Crable | DE/OLB | Michigan
61. Dallas Cowboys – Anthony Collins | OT | Kansas
62. Indianapolis Colts – John Carlson | TE | Notre Dame
63. New York Giants – DeJuan Tribble | CB | Boston College
64. New England Patriots – Beau Bell | LB | UNLV

It looks a bit better on my senior project site too. Not trying to step on Scott's toes or anything, but I don't think it's a problem to post the link since the site is only for my senior project, not business reasons.

http://eyeonthedraft.com/page2.html

Tell me what you think!

skiinginNJ
01-21-2008, 12:02 AM
not bad for the giants.

too bad collins wasnt there in the 2nd and it would be great

adschofield
01-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Devin Thomas>>>Early Doucet

thebow305
01-21-2008, 12:05 AM
ok phins draft rather have Sims instead of Williams, and then Collins instead of lofton, as i'm not sold on lofton being a great fit for the 3-4.

VernonLawson89
01-21-2008, 12:06 AM
niners hold the 29th pick

VernonLawson89
01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
niners hold the 29th and 39th picks...

Hitemhard05
01-21-2008, 12:15 AM
You're right, my fault. I didn't really look, probably should have. I still think they'd take Hardy before Bowman though.

LonghornsLegend
01-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Thank you for giving us Bowman, thank you very much :) although I dont really want to draft a wr he would make me really happy, and Reggie Smith is perfect...I dont think we go with an OT though because we will keep flozell or promote doug free and give him a shot...Im actually hoping Chris Johnson falls to us in the 2nd, he fits perfect we dont really need felix in the first when we can get the same thing a round later...we need to address db first, and with the other pick id be willing to take a NT, safety, or really anything on defense...

but Bowman would make me a happy man

Yung Flippa
01-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Give the Ravens Mike Jenkins, really opposed to Brian Brohm. Good 2nd Rounder.
Good Texans pick.

Saints67
01-21-2008, 03:16 AM
LOVE the Saints 1st round pick...but give us Lofton in round 2 and were good.

Ellis and Lofton as the 1st two picks for us.....our D would be so improved it's not even funny. The CB's could actually look decent.

DChess
01-21-2008, 04:16 AM
pacman jones is not worth moving up one spot in the first round let alone 6.

also, i like the browns pick.

tjsunstein
01-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Ideal for the Packers.

SteelCityNightmare
01-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Good Steelers mock. Would love to see Baker end up in Black and Gold. In the second, I would not be shocked if the Steelers continue to bolster their depth in the trenches.

Finsfan79
01-21-2008, 07:31 AM
not thrilled with the miami draft but I am not a big chris long fan, I would rather have Jake long there even.

hugegmenfan
01-21-2008, 09:28 AM
interesting giants draft- its pretty good

XxXdragonXxX
01-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Carolina Panthers get #22 overall, #58 overall
Seattle Seahawks get #13 overall

Only problem with this trade is that the Seahawks have the 25th pick, unless something wierd happened and they jumped ahead of the Steelers, Titans and Cowboys.

jdb1972
01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
As posted above, the Seahawks don't have the 22nd pick, and I doubt Carolina trades down to lose value.

Although getting Otah, Ellis, and Schuening would be an incredible draft.

Patriots16-0
01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Give us a RB instead of Beau Bell.

Bills2083
01-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Good trade for the Bills, but I'd rather take Malcolm Kelly in round 1, and Justin King in round 2.

We need a WR more than a TE, IMO.

T-RICH49
01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Devin Thomas>>>Early Doucet

hey the last LSU wideout we took worked out real well :D

Thunder&Lightning
01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
good chargers pick

gdamac
01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Grat Raiders draft. Believe it or not I was rooting for the Bolts to beat the Pats, to compete like that with the Pats without LT and a Hobbled Gates & Rivers is awesome. SD is gonna be vury, vury scurry for a long time. Poor Early Ducet, second fiddle to Bowe at LSU, now second fiddle to Bowe in the pros!

Don Killuminati
01-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Palatable for Oakland.

nemesis3394
01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
good vikes mock...i would take one of the tight ends in the second though

Vikes99ej
01-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Give us Derrick Harvey instead of Campbell. I'd say Harvey's a better fit in the Cover 2. I like Devin Thomas as our second round pick.

ripdw27
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
nice denver picks would love kenny phillips.. wanted nelson last year so its all good

ABWA757
01-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Good Bills 1st
but i would much rather have Davis or Carlson

NIN1984
01-23-2008, 12:25 AM
I dig the Raiders draft

fenikz
01-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Sorry Pac-Man would not work in Arizona, all of our owners are notorious for shipping off players who have problems

the Laos
01-23-2008, 02:53 AM
give the vikings merling or harvey in round 1 and you have a great vikings draft.

DiG
01-23-2008, 07:42 AM
I usually get upset anytime i see a mock that has the skins drafting a WR but you hit my soft spot with Bennett. He is just about the only WR I'd be happy with the Skins drafting in the first 3 rounds.

The Merling works. We'll have to see how his combine/pro day go before we get a good idea of where he fits.

Draft King
01-23-2008, 01:22 PM
You're right about Ryan, with Dorsey, McFadden, and Long all of the board he has to be the pick as much as I don't like it. A possible trade-down scenario but I understand why you wouldn't. So good pick there. Felix Jones does not fit what we need in a runner. We have the speedster in Norwood, we now need a bruiser. I would switch that up with Sims. Finally, we drafted Chris Houston in the 2nd last here, so we look for help on the line here with Anthony Collins instead of Cromartie.

asmitty45
01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
LOVE Mckelvin and Highsmith. Very nice.