PDA

View Full Version : Dan Henning (Former OC)

thebow305
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Ok guys, Dan Henning's name has recently surfaced as the front-runner to land the Dolphins new OC job. I know he was the Panthers OC from '02-'06. I would liek some insight from some Panthers fan here on who is this guy and what this means for the 'Phins offense now. I've read that he is on the conservative side, but I would like to hear from some experienced Panthers fans what you have to say about him. i see Steve Smith had 3 1000 yard season under him and even a 1500 yard, 12 td season so that doesn't seem too conservative!? I could be wrong though, please give me some insight here guys!

BlindSite
01-22-2008, 02:56 AM
He's not a bad OC.

It depends on the person calling the plays. Realistically he's too conservative but when he wants to open up the play calling he can.

He'll be great against the patriots as he's got Belicheck's number out the wazoo, history has shown us that. He'll also be able to tear holes in a Cover 2.

Come to think of it, he's damn good at what he does. He just didn't fit in with the personnell we had in Carolina and where the team was heading.

FirstAndGoal
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
if you like draw plays on third and ten, get excited.

thebow305
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
if you like draw plays on third and ten, get excited.

Not neccesarily a bad thing if the D isn't expecting it, and we have a much better running back than you guys did. So it could work.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
He'll keep running the same play as long as it works. Conservative yes, though he does seem to have an obsession with running a flea flicker at least once a game. He likes to force the ball to his playmakers for better or worse, and is a big fan of playaction. For the Dolphins I suppose this means expect a heavy dose Ronnie Brown. Also, don't expect to ever use your TEs for anything but blocking

Overall I dont think he's a bad guy to hire while turning a team around (lots of experience) but after a few years his act gets tired and the teams in your division will adjust to him, while he won't adjust back.

ShutDwn
01-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Not neccesarily a bad thing if the D isn't expecting it, and we have a much better running back than you guys did. So it could work.
let me explain, he meant, if you like draw plays on every third and ten, get REALLY excited. It won't catch a single defense off guard because he runs it every time. The only good thing about it is that we punt the ball.

I don't give Henning credit for Steve Smith's performances. Smith had over 800 yards after the catch in 05, he and Delhomme have an obvious connection and would often audible to the quick smoke pass.

Henning's offense is self described as "feed the stud", so if you have a good player, expect to see a lot of them. Like Ronnie Brown, but other than that the offense won't be balanced at all. Like the 05 season, where without Smith and the defense being a top 5 defense, the panthers weren't a .500 team. So much of his offense is based on one player playing out of their mind that as bad as he is it makes him look decent. Like 04 Muhammed and 05 Smith.

Any dreams of creativeness should be thrown out the window. Think of the Patriots offensive scheme, but the complete opposite. There will be no ball distribution or mixing it up, and no adjustments made at half time.