PDA

View Full Version : Lions Looking for a New Starting RB??

Bootland27
01-22-2008, 11:35 AM
from rotoworld via Detroit news....

New Lions coordinator Jim Colletto says the team's No. 1 offseason priority on offense is finding a new running back.

Kevin Jones (torn ACL) is expected to be ready by training camp, but this isn't a ringing endorsement. "We're going to look around," Colletto said. "I don't know how well Kevin Jones is going to respond to the injuries. We've got to find somebody who's going to be consistent." It sounds like Colletto may even be searching for a back to replace Jones as the starter.

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/lionsblog/index.cfm?CFID=9824153&CFTOKEN=14178130

Coletto's Priorities on Offense look like this:
1. RB
2. TE
3. T

But defense is going to be their first order of business.

Addict
01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
OH YEAH RASHARD MENDENHALL!!!

RASH-- wait, it's the second order of business? Screw that, let's get Roy on the first train out of Detrot and bring in RASHARD MENDENHALL in. Please?

Pretty Please?

Sugar on top?

Sugar on top fo-eva?

Bootland27
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I'd like Michael Turner.

Addict
01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd like Rashard Mendenhall.

:) fixed it for you.

Bootland27
01-22-2008, 01:16 PM
:) fixed it for you.

As long as the tackle position is addressed, its cool

Addict
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
As long as the tackle position is addressed, its cool

You're so lucky I'm not pushing Mendenhall down your throat. We'll get to O-line in FA... besides if our OC says it's not priority #1 I'm not gonna argue.

I also wonder how effective Turner is in the cold, I know Ford Field is indoor but we have 2 division games that are outdoorsy and Illinois and Wisconsin aren't really prone to heatstrokes in november and december

Bootland27
01-22-2008, 01:27 PM
You're so lucky I'm not pushing Mendenhall down your throat. We'll get to O-line in FA... besides if our OC says it's not priority #1 I'm not gonna argue.

I also wonder how effective Turner is in the cold, I know Ford Field is indoor but we have 2 division games that are outdoorsy and Illinois and Wisconsin aren't really prone to heatstrokes in november and december

When it comes to RBs my love for Jonathan Stewart is at epic proportions. With all due respect to Mendenhall, Stewart>Mendenhall (sorry to break your heart:rolleyes: )

If we get Turner though, I'm not worried about his performance in the cold. He looked just fine in Foxboro.

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
You're so lucky I'm not pushing Mendenhall down your throat.

BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
i will be a little disapointed if we take a RB in round one rather then adressing our needs on defense. If we have a defense as bad as it was this year and RB wont have a ton to do in the gameplan because we wont be pounding the ball like we want to because we'll find ouselves down by 2 touchdowns early in the game

Newbs24
01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
i will be a little disapointed if we take a RB in round one rather then adressing our needs on defense. If we have a defense as bad as it was this year and RB wont have a ton to do in the gameplan because we wont be pounding the ball like we want to because we'll find ouselves down by 2 touchdowns early in the game

I concur. I would like to see a solid LT come in and add in some playmakers on D. Even a good RB will not get 60 yards per game with our line if we don't get somebody in who can play. I would love to see a MLB in round 1 but nobody is really worth it or if a LT falls to #15, like Clady (even though he would have to be horrible at the combine). I guess we will have to wait and see who is a monster at the combine and if we are looking at any FA's before the draft/

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 02:48 PM
I concur. I would like to see a solid LT come in and ad some playmakers on D. Even a good RB will not get 60 yards per game with our line if we don't get somebody in who can play. I would love to see a MLB in round 1 or if a LT falls to #15, like Clady (even though he would have to be horrible at the combine).

to be honest with woody i dont think this oline is all that bad. especially for a running game, there nothing special and could be a ton better but with woody at RT i think they can get the job done. But our defense is terrible and our running game will be lost in the second half if were down by a few scores so how much can a RB do for you if your defense allows the opposing team to score 30+ points.

Addict
01-22-2008, 03:06 PM
When it comes to RBs my love for Jonathan Stewart is at epic proportions. With all due respect to Mendenhall, Stewart>Mendenhall (sorry to break your heart:rolleyes: )

If we get Turner though, I'm not worried about his performance in the cold. He looked just fine in Foxboro.

I'm still not sold on Turner, never have been crazy about him.

And you're right Stewart is a much better running back than Mendenhall... on planet Htrae (that's Earth backwards, FYI)

asmitty45
01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
PLEASE GIVE ME JONATHON STEWART!

move roy to Dallas for #22. take stewart at 15, and Leodis Mckelvin at 22.

Boom, CJ81 is now a #1, where he belongs, Furrey is a great #2 again, mcdonald already is a stud #3.

Stewart and mckelvin start from day 1 and we are in great shape if we can get an LB.

Addict
01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
PLEASE GIVE ME JONATHON STEWART!

move roy to Dallas for #22. take stewart at 15, and Leodis Mckelvin at 22.

Boom, CJ81 is now a #1, where he belongs, Furrey is a great #2 again, mcdonald already is a stud #3.

Stewart and mckelvin start from day 1 and we are in great shape if we can get an LB.

Stewart isn't half the man Mendenhall is. He has like, one testicle.

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Adict knows for sure how many nuts Mendenhall has because he's all over them, haha.

And we have established that McKelvin is not a good pick for us.

Addict
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Adict knows for sure how many nuts Mendenhall has because he's all over them, haha.

it's funny 'cause it's true :)

Xiomera
01-22-2008, 07:14 PM
This is a deep RB class . . . I say take one in like round 3 and re-sign Duckett to split all the carries with KJ included. One of the three has to work out well enough to allow us to draft heavy on defense and o-line.

Either that or just sign Michael Turner. That is my first choice.

KILLERSANTA
01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I think the lions should draft Jonathan Stewart in the 1st(Though that will piss me off)....A TE in the second....Then, Sign the best OT in this year's FA market.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
I think the lions should draft Jonathan Stewart in the 1st(Though that will piss me off)....A TE in the second....Then, Sign the best OT in this year's FA market.

and then have the worst defenses ever? no thanks we need defense over offense

KILLERSANTA
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
and then have the worst defenses ever? no thanks we need defense over offense

True, but......

I think the lions' O in 2-3 players away from being elite. Then, you can build your D next year. Then in 2-3 years the lions could be super.

I think if your first day draft went like this:
1. Jonathan Stewart RB
2. Chris Williams OT(I said TE earlier, but I forgot the greatness of this draft for OT)
3. Jacob Tamme or Jermichael Finley TE

I'm not saying the lions should sign/draft any D players. I think they should sign about 2 solid starters to be a band-aid for now.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 11:10 PM
True, but......

I think the lions' O in 2-3 players away from being elite. Then, you can build your D next year. Then in 2-3 years the lions could be super.

I think if your first day draft went like this:
1. Jonathan Stewart RB
2. Chris Williams OT(I said TE earlier, but I forgot the greatness of this draft for OT)
3. Jacob Tamme or Jermichael Finley TE

I'm not saying the lions should sign/draft any D players. I think they should sign about 2 solid starters to be a band-aid for now.

our offense was suppose to be elite last year and that failed partly due to throwing to much. Truth is as long as kitna is our QB we will not have an elite offense. RB is a need but KJ is suppose to be back and duckett showed some good signs last year. Taking a RB is not the best thing we can do for this team right now and would be better off going defense now and taking a RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

WMD
01-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I was just thinking about how we might have TE as a higher priority now since Martz is gone.. We probably won't utilize a blocking TE as much. I actually think Sean McHugh did a soild enough job to where we won't need to draft one, though.

I'd hate it if we took a RB in Round 1. We just.. need.. defense. Lots of it. Pretty much any Defensive player in Round 1 can step in for us and start. The draft is deep in RB.. hell, one of the First Round projected RB's could fall to Round 3 or so.

I'm gonna predict in Free Agency we'll address RB, one cornerback, and add some OL depth.. which takes away some draft needs. A perfect draft to me would probably go something like::

Round 1: DE
Round 2: OT
Round 3: LB
Round 4: CB/KR
Round 5: LB
Round 6: OT
Round 7: DE

That's right.. The first ever PALINDROME DRAFT!

Brothgar
01-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Is there something wrong with Dan Campbell? I know he was injured this season but if he is back he was a very serviceable TE

wingboy2999
01-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Is there something wrong with Dan Campbell? I know he was injured this season but if he is back he was a very serviceable TE

Good point... kinda forgot about him. If we put McHugh and Campbell out there, we'd be fine.

Xiomera
01-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Michael Turner is the way to go. He won't command a huge contract, and Detroit is a team that would be attractive to him as he would get the chance to start. How many other teams could give him that?

detroit4life
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
a comittee of duckett turner and a healthy KJ is more than good. No need to take a rb in round one.

Remember KJ is suppose to be healthy at the start of training camp.

But if turner were signed i think he would be the feature back but there sure would be some great competition between our RBs

J-Hype
01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
i would be ticked if we drafted a running back in the first we definitely need alot more help in other places especially on defense and the o line.i wouldnt mind getting Mike Hart thoguh in the 4th or 5th

detroit4life
01-23-2008, 03:52 PM
NO MIKE HART he will not be good he is slow and small. i would be pissed if we wasted apick on him

Addict
01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
a comittee of duckett turner and a healthy KJ is more than good. No need to take a rb in round one.

Remember KJ is suppose to be healthy at the start of training camp.

But if turner were signed i think he would be the feature back but there sure would be some great competition between our RBs

a healthy KJ? When has that EVER happened, the guy's always injured... I'm really starting to get fed up with people saying "KJ's great when healthy" HE NEVER IS.

Pocket
01-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Good running backs are dime a dozen, and in fact, we have a good running back. We need a franchise player, but a RB in the first round. The offensive line is so bad, no matter who comes in will get hurt at that position. It's one of (if not the most) injury prone positions anyway, and running behind the line we have those chances will only increase.

We need to use our first round pick on a franchise LT. Should have done it last year, although with the potential departure of Roy Williams the CJ pick might actually work fine with me.

wingboy2999
01-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Rashard Mendenhall is the one that tore KJ ACL... It happened when he dropped to his knees to praise the god of RBs.

detroit4life
01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
a healthy KJ? When has that EVER happened, the guy's always injured... I'm really starting to get fed up with people saying "KJ's great when healthy" HE NEVER IS.

KJ is suppose to be ready for training camp which would mean he will be healthy next year. Now what he does when he comes back is a different story i personally am not sure if he will be able to overcome two serious injuries in two years but there is no need to draft a 1st round RB this year. we can resign duckett go after turner or get a slasher guy. KJ could come back 100 percent also and we have yet to see what calhoun can do although he's probably finished. Either way drafting a 1st round RB makes no sense

wingboy2999
01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
KJ is suppose to be ready for training camp which would mean he will be healthy next year. Now what he does when he comes back is a different story i personally am not sure if he will be able to overcome two serious injuries in two years but there is no need to draft a 1st round RB this year. we can resign duckett go after turner or get a slasher guy. KJ could come back 100 percent also and we have yet to see what calhoun can do although he's probably finished. Either way drafting a 1st round RB makes no sense

Why is Calhoun finished again? What was his injury?

detroit4life
01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Why is Calhoun finished again? What was his injury?

he tore his acl and has been on the IR the past two years i believe. We may have put him on the IR last year to hide him since we had 3 RBs we knew would be on the team but im not sure but im pretty sure he's had problems with his knee. He should be there for training camp though but a guy that hasnt played for 2 years i think is a long shot

wingboy2999
01-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Damn... I knew he tore it but I didn't realize it's been two friggin' years.

WMD
01-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I think he tore it once, and then either tore it again or aggravated the injury. He should be cut.

wingboy2999
01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Sucks for him.

Bootland27
01-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I think Calhoun is gonna be out the door as well. If Colletto doesn't like KJ and his injuries, how do you think he feels about Calhoun? He was probably Martz's pick anyway.

TacticaLion
01-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Solution: move Kenoy Kennedy to LT, Backus to QB and Kitna to RB.

Problems solved.

wingboy2999
01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Solution: move Kenoy Kennedy to LT, Backus to QB and Kitna to RB.

Problems solved.

I... don't get it?

Xiomera
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
I... don't get it?

Backus throws a magnificent deep ball. And Kitna can run a 4.1 in the 40.

WMD
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I... don't get it?

Don't pay attention to him and he'll stop.

wingboy2999
01-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Don't pay attention to him and he'll stop.

Sure as hell didn't work with you...

TacticaLion
01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Sure as hell didn't work with you...
Haha... that was funny.

WMD... don't pay attention to me and I'll stop? Didn't know I had that kinda vibe on the boards.

Backus throws a magnificent deep ball. And Kitna can run a 4.1 in the 40.Exactly. As we all know, Kitna loves to run the ball. If not for Martz, he would've probably led the NFL in rushing yards for a QB.

Backus has great size for a QB and, as Xio said, can really throw the deep ball. Hey... it would be an upgrade over Kitna.

I also think Kennedy is an upgrade over Backus at LT. At least he'd stand in the way of the defender and not give him a clear path to the QB.

wingboy2999
01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
See... he just keeps going.

TacticaLion
01-24-2008, 06:57 PM
See... he just keeps going.

Energizer bunny...

Addict
01-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I do think we're being too friendly about Backus at LT... whereas normal LT's work against passrushers, Backus uses his SatNav to calculate the most effective route to te QB. He's not a blocker, he's a freakin' roadsign.

TacticaLion
01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I do think we're being too friendly about Backus at LT... whereas normal LT's work against passrushers, Backus uses his SatNav to calculate the most effective route to te QB. He's not a blocker, he's a freakin' roadsign.

Haha... ha... hah... ha.

Roadsign.