PDA

View Full Version : Bears interrested in Flacco!

Smokey Joe
01-22-2008, 04:07 PM
MOBILE, Ala. - Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco, standing almost 6 feet 6 inches, towered over center as he lined up for Senior Bowl practice Monday. After the session concluded, Flacco sized up his chances of becoming a Chicago Bear.

"I've heard they have an interest," Flacco said with a smile. "I heard they were at the [NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision] title game to see me play.

"That would be great, to go to Chicago. It's a little cold there, but I wouldn't worry too much about it."

Bears coach Lovie Smith had a front-row view of Flacco as he fired passes during the North team's practice, conducted by the Oakland Raiders staff.

Flacco looked more impressive than the other two QBs on his team—USC's John David Booty and Michigan's Chad Henne.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080121chicago_bears_flacco_quarterback,1,6989494.s tory

Addict
01-22-2008, 04:30 PM
looks like a valid option for the bears, he might even be available in the second, so the first can be spent elsewhere.

regoob2
01-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Lets hope late 3rd.

BamaFalcon59
01-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Funny about him looking better. I have heard it from all angles- Scott says John David Booty (USC), NFL Network (Mike Maycock) says Chad Henne (Michigan), and this says Joe Flacco (Div. 1-AA Delaware). All three north team quarterbacks have been said to be the best. Guess I will just have to watch the practices myself.

bearsfan_51
01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
looks like a valid option for the bears, he might even be available in the second, so the first can be spent elsewhere.

There's no bloody way in hell we're spending a 1st rounder on Flacco. I wouldn't even spend a 2nd.

BeerBaron
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
There's no bloody way in hell we're spending a 1st rounder on Flacco. I wouldn't even spend a 2nd.

maybe the 2nd....but no way the first. im hoping 3rd after an OT and WR or something

pellepelle_10
01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
maybe the 2nd....but no way the first. im hoping 3rd after an OT and WR or something

I'm hoping 3rd after RB and OT given we don't land Turner or Derrick Ward.

D-Unit
01-23-2008, 01:23 PM
You guys have also been talking to Colt. I don't see a good match for him there in that offense. It's probably a mutual feeling with Bears fans, I wouldn't expect anything else. But yeah, they are one of the teams listed as talking to him extensively.

VoteLynnSwan
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
yea, throw a 185 pound QB behind an OL that can't block... that'd be a great decision.

SFbear
01-23-2008, 06:15 PM
yea, throw a 185 pound QB behind an OL that can't block... that'd be a great decision.

Well its not like Colt is a complete statue. He's got some escapability and he could bulk up while we groom him on the bench like Tom Brady (who was disgustingly skinny when he was drafted). Im not advocating picking him or anything im just saying its not ridiculous.

Also according to JA, our Oline is "formidable" which of course scares the crap out of me if he actually believes that. Hopefully his recent emphasis on skill positions and becoming more "dynamic" on offense is just smokescreen for upgrading the Oline in a big way. I think we need to become more competent on offense first and foremost, Im looking at you Fred Miller.

Bighead734
01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
If we can get Flacco in the 3rd round I'd be happy, but I agree that we need to address OL and RB before we address the QB position, especially with Erik Ainge, Chad Henne and Booty all likely available in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

awfullyquiet
01-25-2008, 05:35 PM
If we can get Flacco in the 3rd round I'd be happy, but I agree that we need to address OL and RB before we address the QB position, especially with Erik Ainge, Chad Henne and Booty all likely available in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Def. Flacco isn't worth more than a 3rd round, and only then because of his massive upside.

OL, RB, QB, WR. in that order.
God JA's gonna **** it up.

bearsfan_51
01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Flacco has looked terrible this week, confirming my original opinion that Josh Johnson is the QB more worth taking a gamble on.

He's tall. That's about it.

toonsterwu
01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
i think, based on the reports, that he's had a good enough week to potentially be a 2nd rounder, and if he has a strong personal workout, might have a sleeper shot into the first round.

BeerBaron
01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
i heard on espn earlier today (and no, with it being espn i dont put too much stock in it)

but they were saying teams might even be thinking flacco as a late first rounder. too high imo....id stay away from him there

bearsfan_51
01-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I just don't see how you would invest a 1st rounder in Flacco. Unless you've got the time to sit him for a good two years, the payoff isn't there. Even still I don't think he'll ever develop the way some do.

I'm just not seeing what other people are I guess.

Smokey Joe
01-26-2008, 02:03 AM
I just don't see how you would invest a 1st rounder in Flacco. Unless you've got the time to sit him for a good two years, the payoff isn't there. Even still I don't think he'll ever develop the way some do.

I'm just not seeing what other people are I guess.
He's Big Ben 2.0. He has a great arm, good pocket presence and escape-ability, has great size, and is very knowledgeable in the game of football.

I probably wouldn't invest a 1st rounder in him, but I sure would invest a 2nd rounder in him.

KCJ58
01-26-2008, 03:47 AM
i bet this made Smokey Joe wet himself

bearsfan_51
01-26-2008, 03:51 AM
He's Big Ben 2.0. He has a great arm, good pocket presence and escape-ability, has great size, and is very knowledgeable in the game of football.

I probably wouldn't invest a 1st rounder in him, but I sure would invest a 2nd rounder in him.
Big Ben was insanely productive at a D1 school. Flacco had to trasfer out of Pittsburgh because he couldn't beat out Tyler Palko and that kid that ended up at Akron.

I don't think he has good pocet presence or escable-ability at all. His footwork needs work, he doesn't seem like he has good instincts, or that he really is comfortable operating an NFL offense.

He's got a good deep-ball, but even that lacks accuracy and touch. He honestly reminds me of Kyle Orton but with even worse decision making skills and no college pedigree.

I wouldn't touch him before the 4th round.

BeerBaron
01-26-2008, 03:58 PM
palko at akron? what?

bearsfan_51
01-26-2008, 07:38 PM
palko at akron? what?
There were three QB's at Akron. Palko, some kid that ended up at Akron (is now on the Niners practice squad) and Flacco. As I recall, Flacco was behind both of them.

DaBear89
01-27-2008, 12:25 AM
There were three QB's at Akron. Palko, some kid that ended up at Akron (is now on the Niners practice squad) and Flacco. As I recall, Flacco was behind both of them.

and Tom Brady sat behind Drew Henson...just sayin'

Smokey Joe
01-27-2008, 12:27 AM
and Brian Griese...

VoteLynnSwan
01-27-2008, 12:28 AM

i think you mean Pittsburgh... Palko and Flacco went to Pitt

BeerBaron
01-27-2008, 12:34 AM
i think you mean Pittsburgh... Palko and Flacco went to Pitt

yeah thats why i asked that....

Smokey Joe
01-27-2008, 09:52 AM
51 means there were 3 QB's at Pitt, 2 of which Flacco was behind. Palko and some guy who transfered to Akron.

VoteLynnSwan
01-27-2008, 06:03 PM
51 means there were 3 QB's at Pitt, 2 of which Flacco was behind. Palko and some guy who transfered to Akron.

i know what he meant, but that's not what he said.

sweetness34
01-27-2008, 06:50 PM

So by your thinking, we should draft Flacco beacuse Brady also had 2 guys in front of him at Michigan. Wow, freakin genius rationalization right there.

Here's the thing though, both Henson and Griese went to the NFL, Palko was mediocre at best and the dude at Akron, well um it's safe to say I don't even know who the hell he is.

I think you should submit your application for JA's job. :D

bearsfan_51
01-27-2008, 10:50 PM
That's obviously not the be all and end all of my argument, I just don't like to take high flyers on people that have to transfer out of D1 football because they can't hang. Academics is something totally different.

DaBear89
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
i wasnt implying he would be good b/c of that. i was just saying that some guy arent great in college and good in the NFL. we shouldn't just say a guy isn't good b/c he wasn't the starter. and also, please dont base ur assumption of my football knowledge off of a sarcastic comment. b/c i do plan on having JA's job one day if my career plans work out. i mean, if Matt Millen can keep a NFL GM job for so long...so can i :P

awfullyquiet
01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
That's obviously not the be all and end all of my argument, I just don't like to take high flyers on people that have to transfer out of D1 football because they can't hang. Academics is something totally different.

True. I wouldn't say anything higher than the third round.

But you know as well as I do. Some college coaching can be completely wack and have good athletic players but not quarterbacks that fit into their system. Flacco has the tools.

Anyway. When everyone says flacco = the next brady. i think it's safe to say that brady was a mid round pick. picking brady in the first round, seems like the smart idea. but not the safe idea. because the possibility you'll end up with butthurt is much greater.