PDA

View Full Version : Kiper has us taking...

BeerBaron
01-22-2008, 11:26 PM
...Sam Baker in round 1.

whats the thoughts on that?

i think thats a little too high for him and hes a little too small for my liking....but then again im not sure ive ever agreed with kiper on anything

Smokey Joe
01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
boooooooooooooo! (as the Bear fans in attendance, or just me from the sofa at home, go when/if his name is announced as our 1st round pick)

regoob2
01-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Kiper throws darts at a dart board with names on it until after the combine. His mocks are always "different" until a month or so before the draft.

BeerBaron
01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Kiper throws darts at a dart board with names on it until after the combine. His mocks are always "different" until a month or so before the draft.

i actually read an honest to god article about how he'll have ateam take 8 different prospects in 8 different mocks and if they end up selecting even one of them, he counts it as he got it right......i badly dislike him personally and think hes a crackpot who espn keeps around because people watch hoping to see his craziness

regoob2
01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
He's like Harry Carry. ya he drinks, ya he swears but what you gonna do. there not gonna get rid of him he's the reason the draft is on tv.

VoteLynnSwan
01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
how bout we keep a running record of the guys he has us taking... see how it changes and such...

1. Sam Baker

MidwayMonster31
01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
how bout we keep a running record of the guys he has us taking... see how it changes and such...

1. Sam BakerA ton of things change between now and April. If they were going offensive tackle, I would prefer trading down and drafting Chris Williams. They do have options at OT or quarterback, just no wide receivers in the first round.

bearsfan_51
01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Kiper is much more accurate and in tune than people give him credit for. He's also willing to say things that are wacky and put prospects where nobody else has them. Sometimes he's way off, but very often he's ahead of the curve.

As for Sam Baker...eh... he's probably a more natural left tackle than Otah, but seems like just as big of a risk with less upside.

BeerBaron
01-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Kiper is much more accurate and in tune than people give him credit for. He's also willing to say things that are wacky and put prospects where nobody else has them. Sometimes he's way off, but very often he's ahead of the curve.

As for Sam Baker...eh... he's probably a more natural left tackle than Otah, but seems like just as big of a risk with less upside.

hes accurate because hell give the same team 8 different players in 8 different mocks and if even one of them is right, he counts it as a victory. i remember times reading his drafts and then theyre wrong, yet he somehow gets away with saying something like "oh i knew this would happen"...hes never wrong in his own mind.

not to mention the teams actually taking the picks can be "wrong" too....(cough jets cough)....im not sure thats how its wuite supposed to be

bearsfan_51
01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
hes accurate because hell give the same team 8 different players in 8 different mocks and if even one of them is right, he counts it as a victory. i remember times reading his drafts and then theyre wrong, yet he somehow gets away with saying something like "oh i knew this would happen"...hes never wrong in his own mind.

not to mention the teams actually taking the picks can be "wrong" too....(cough jets cough)....im not sure thats how its wuite supposed to be
I don't know anything about that.

My concern is much less with what team is going to take whom because, quite frankly, that's basically blind luck.

What I look for in a draft prognosticator is someone who can accurately predict the range in which a player will be taken, particularly before the general trend says so. Kiper is very good at that.

Toonster is very good at that as well for the record.

BeerBaron
01-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't know anything about that.

My concern is much less with what team is going to take whom because, quite frankly, that's basically blind luck.

What I look for in a draft prognosticator is someone who can accurately predict the range in which a player will be taken, particularly before the general trend says so. Kiper is very good at that.

Toonster is very good at that as well for the record.

i would tend to agree about that except that even teh example in this thread in baker seems a little absurd right now....it may change, who knows, someone in bristol sees something in kiper to keep paying him for stuff id do for free, i know that, lol

bearsfan_51
01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
i would tend to agree about that except that even teh example in this thread in baker seems a little absurd right now....it may change, who knows, someone in bristol sees something in kiper to keep paying him for stuff id do for free, i know that, lol

I don't think it's absurd to say Baker is a mid-1st. I would agree with TurtlePower's assessment that Baker is getting the Matt Leinart/Brady Quinn overanalyzation treatment. There are certainly some areas of concern, and he would probably be best suited in a ZBS (i.e. not us), but I wouldn't be suprised if he went in the top 20, and certainly in the 1st round.

Bighead734
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
It is easy to bash Kiper because he's the face of NFL "draftniks", but the guy is usually projects where guys are going to go pretty accurately come April. No one is very good at projecting this draft thing pick-by-pick because teams are unpredictable, but he does a good job of measuring value.

Remember that Sam Baker was projected to be a sure-fire top-10 pick this time last year, but injuries limited him. I agree that I might trade down a little to get him, but he's not awful at 14. He reminds me a little of Alex Barron from a few years ago.