PDA

View Full Version : Alstott to retire? Gruden, Allen resigned. Other news.

etk
01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Let's fit it all in here...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/01/alstott-retirem.html

Alstott will probably retire by the end of the week.

"Fullback Mike Alstott, perhaps the most popular Buccaneer and certainly one of the franchise's most accomplished players, is expected to announce his retirement by week's end."

Thursday is the lucky day they say.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/01/bucs-uk-bound.html

"The Bucs have confirmed they are one of four teams to have been approached by the NFL about possibly playing in the United Kingdom this fall, an opportunity Tampa Bay would welcome."

I'm not too enthusiastic about this...why not play in Canada?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/22/gruden.extension.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Extended thru 2011. I don't think this is a good move either. We're doing the same thing the Ravens did with Brian Billick. Win a SB with great defense, make excuses for offensive Head Coach for years and years, floating around mediocrity the whole time. Our offense has been nothing but disappointing for most of Gruden's tenure and his drafts have been underwhelming. All we're doing is delaying IMO...

TRJ997
01-23-2008, 08:57 AM
This year's "Alstott to Retire" rumor appears to be more likely than the past couple. It's definitely time, but I'll be sad to see him go. Hopefully he has a successful retirement coaching or opening car dealerships in Tampa (or something like that).

I'm OK with locking up the Gruden regime for 3 more years. He's still young, and I don't think we've seen his best yet. The time has come for playoff wins, however.

etk
01-23-2008, 08:58 AM
This year's "Alstott to Retire" rumor appears to be more likely than the past couple. It's definitely time, but I'll be sad to see him go. Hopefully he has a successful retirement coaching or opening car dealerships in Tampa (or something like that).

I'm OK with locking up the Gruden regime for 3 more years. He's still young, and I don't think we've seen his best yet. The time has come for playoff wins, however.

I know that's what the Glazers are thinking. I hope everyone is right.

TRJ997
01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Alstott officially retired.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3655

Caddy
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
He has had a good career and it kind of sucks to see him retire due largely to injury.

ks_perfection
01-24-2008, 06:15 PM
If someone took a look at the offense for the first time he'd have a hard time believing that the team spent most of their top picks on offense for the last 1/2 dozen years.

The offense is in very bad shape. The only 2 decent receivers are extremely old and theirs nothing behind them. The QB is also very old with no decent successor on the roster. The former 1st round RB is chronically injured and potential done, he wasn't very effective to begin with. The backup did a decent job but isn't a starter you'd want for a contender.

The O-line is the only bright spot with a few young promising players. Until they pot together a few good years you shouldn't get too excited. Both Clayton/Cadillac looked great in their first year and bombed after.

etk
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't have a hard time believing that. It's a known fact among the league that Gruden doesn't listen to his scouts very much and is an "arrogant drafter", so our picks have suffered. That's one of the reasons why we should've fired him by now.

one_of_a_kind24
01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I don't have a hard time believing that. It's a known fact among the league that Gruden doesn't listen to his scouts very much and is an "arrogant drafter", so our picks have suffered. That's one of the reasons why we should've fired him by now.

:confused: From my understanding of the Bucs draft room, everybody's opinion is taken into consideration by Allen. Bruce Allen has the final say on who we do and don't draft.

etk
01-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Bruce Allen was hired to help Gruden with the cap. Gruden drafts offensive guys who he likes for his scheme, while Kiffin does the same for his defense. I'm sure Allen has input but from what I've read, the scouts have very little, and Gruden has been known to "put them in their place" from time to time.

Caddy
01-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Gruden definitely seems like the "take charge" kind of leader in all facets of the game and I would not be shocked to hear of him disregarding other coaches/scouts/Allen etc opinions. Cadillac Williams was a great example. Gruden fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl and was the subsequent pick.

etk
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I think everyone wanted Cadillac Williams. Our only other options were trading up for Alex Smith (huge project) or drafting Mike Williams (huge question marks). Hindsight is 20/20 :).

Caddy
01-25-2008, 04:54 PM
I actually wanted Derrick Johnson in that draft. I'm not really sure why but he was #1 on my board.

etk
01-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I actually wanted Derrick Johnson in that draft. I'm not really sure why but he was #1 on my board.

He'd be a nice SLB in our defense, but he's probably too big for that still. Coverage is everything.

TRJ997
01-27-2008, 12:22 AM

I loved DJ that year and wouldn't have had a problem taking him. His YouTube highlight video was sick, but he didn't have anywhere near a top 5 grade by draft day. etk is right, Caddy and BMW were the only real options when we were on the clock (with Aaron Rodgers a darkhorse candidate).

We've been unlucky with available prospects after our sucky seasons.

etk
01-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Absolutely. Gaines looks fine right now, but at the time we had no other choice (reach on Okoye?). Or 2004, when I think 3-4 WRs got taken before we took Clayton. ZOMGZ Lee Evanz!

Caddy
01-27-2008, 05:13 PM

Unfortunately that is just the way of the draft. You can never really know how well a player will translate to the professional game.

Hindsight is 20/20 blah blah blah.

chcwarriorpoet
02-09-2008, 09:09 PM
NFC South Division Titles

Bucs/Gruden = 3
Saints + Falcons + Panthers= 3

Yeah let's fire the guy...WTF?

StaticGator
02-10-2008, 07:57 AM
NFC South Division Titles

Bucs/Gruden = 3
Saints + Falcons + Panthers= 3

Yeah let's fire the guy...WTF?

However, last playoff victory:

Atlanta: 2004 season
Carolina: 2005 season
New Orleans: 2006 season
Tampa Bay: 2002 season

etk
02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
However, last playoff victory:

Atlanta: 2004 season
Carolina: 2005 season
New Orleans: 2006 season
Tampa Bay: 2002 season

Yep, does anyone actually care about the regular season unless you get some playoff wins? It would be one thing if he toom an overachieving team and lost to a good team on the road, but we've been outcoached at home twice in a row.

StaticGator
02-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Yep, does anyone actually care about the regular season unless you get some playoff wins? It would be one thing if he toom an overachieving team and lost to a good team on the road, but we've been outcoached at home twice in a row.

Now that I think about it the three other division teams have been to the NFC Championship game since the Bucs were last there.