PDA

View Full Version : Corey Dillion To Retire

Flyboy
02-22-2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/02/22/patriots_dillon_to_call_it_quits/

Didn't see that one coming.

02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
....he had one good year for us.

At least it was a "super" year.

ninerfan
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Thats a shame. He's a very good player and teamed with Maroney - the Pats had a great chance of a SB season

Don Vito
02-22-2007, 10:30 PM
He was declining but did great things in his time in New England. Now we need a power back.

remix 6
02-22-2007, 10:30 PM

wow more respect man come on..he played hurt..he was the toughest SOB to step on Gillette Stadium last few years

i respect his decision. You never want to try and comeback and possibly get hurt which can hurt your future and what u do. I have the world of respect for Corey as a player and person..hes a tough guy..battled through injuries, stayed strong and i will miss his stiff arm and mean streak. Its a shame he wont be a Patriot or player anymore but i hope hes happy and succesfull with what he does from here on out. Hes helped us tremendously..individual players..helped the team..helped the organization. he def. deserves HOF and i'll root for him

Finlayson56
02-22-2007, 10:32 PM
jumping on the tiki bandwagon

02-22-2007, 10:32 PM

wow more respect man come on..he played hurt..he was the toughest SOB to step on Gillette Stadium last few years

i respect his decision. You never want to try and comeback and possibly get hurt which can hurt your future and what u do. I have the world of respect for Corey as a player and person..hes a tough guy..battled through injuries, stayed strong and i will miss his stiff arm and mean streak. Its a shame he wont be a Patriot or player anymore but i hope hes happy and succesfull with what he does from here on out. Hes helped us tremendously..individual players..helped the team..helped the organization. he def. deserves HOF and i'll root for him

I am not saying I do not respect the man, I do. I just believe he was more of a role player the last two seasons.

CC.SD
02-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I love Corey Dillon; probably my favorite runner to watch of the last five years, aside from LT of course. Guy just barrelled through tacklers.

Vince Lombardi
02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Good for him. I'm glad that NFL players are starting to realize that it's not in their best interest to play as long as they can and risk their health after football. Unfortunately, this lesson was learned the hard way by many of their predecessors who are basically crippled now that they are getting to be middle aged or elderly. A football career is very short, you need to be able to live a healthy life for a lot longer after it's over. It's definately a smart move for him, he has nothing left to prove.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 11:10 PM
If they can land a LB in FA (namely, Adalius Thomas), I can definitely see them taking a long look at Brian Leonard in the first (if Leonard runs a good time) or 2nd. I could see them look Tony Hunt if he falls there in the 2nd. I could see them taking a look at Brandon Jackson, although they'll probably prefer a bigger, more physical back. Dwayne Wright could be an intriguing option.

Jay
02-22-2007, 11:16 PM
So that frees up, what, another five mil on the cap?

Definitely sad to see Clock Killin Corey Dillon go. He was great while we had him.

PalmerToCJ
02-22-2007, 11:18 PM
I've gotta say, sometimes he came off as a prick but he made every game for the Bengals while he was here more exciting (despite all the losing). I was going insane when he had the (at the time) rushing yards per game title and was just killing people running through tackles. I was there when he got the rookie record vs. the Oilers as well. I don't even want to know how bad we would've been without him.

But then you had the times like when the Ravens were slaughtering us and he pulled himself out of the game and refused to come back in. Then his last game at Cincinnati he threw his pads/jersey into the stands and said something along the lines of "I'm outta here". I had mixed emotions when he won the SB but without him during our horrible years I can't even imagine how bad things would've been.

TCU
02-22-2007, 11:18 PM
good i hate dillion and maroney is real tight

GiantRutgersFan
02-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Well good for him. I imagine that if I won a Superbowl and was starting to decline I would retire sooner rather then later. Although I think he should have been upfront about it and not have signed a 5 year extension last year if he wasnt intending on fulfilling hardly any of it.

But best of luck to him

Jay
02-22-2007, 11:24 PM
I don't think he expected his body to react the way it did...

EdReedUnstoppable
02-22-2007, 11:24 PM
I lost alot of respect for him when he walked off the field against the Ravens in 2000 and wouldnt go back in...........um..........bye.

DHVF
02-22-2007, 11:26 PM
I don't think he expected his body to react the way it did...That's what she said.

PalmerToCJ
02-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I lost alot of respect for him when he walked off the field against the Ravens in 2000 and wouldnt go back in...........um..........bye.

Hey, me too :lol:

Scapegrace
02-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, by asking to be released, it would mean he could sign with another team and play in 2007. I'm not sure why else he would ask to be released.

RaiderNation
02-22-2007, 11:36 PM
sucks to see him go. he was great in his prime

swagger
02-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Maroney is in store for a big yr!

diabsoule
02-22-2007, 11:45 PM
I didn't see his retirement coming. I thought he'd play for a few more years.

ckr50702
02-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Oh well. Gotta quit sometime. And for runningback, that's pretty soon.

IndyColtScout
02-22-2007, 11:57 PM
It's a smart move & he's already won a championship & rushed for over a 1,000 yards in a season. What's left to do? Rush for 2,000? I'de retire too.

Maroney is a beast anyways.

KCJ58
02-22-2007, 11:59 PM
I liked Corey Dillon on the Bengals but when he went to New England i hated him

themaninblack
02-22-2007, 11:59 PM
i have mixed feelings on this. while i respect him for what he did as a bengal i have strong dislike for the way he went about exiting and some of the conflicts he had towards my hood. he has since made some remarks that have made me forgive him in a way, but you don't mess with the nati.

Jughead10
02-23-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm glad I have Maroney in a keeper Fantasy League now.

eacantdraft
02-23-2007, 07:31 AM
It's always best to leave on your terms and that is what Dillon has done. Good for him.

art vandelay
02-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Alright then...

Note to self: Draft Laurence Maroney in FF.

throwback54milkman
02-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Alright then...

Note to self: Draft Laurence Maroney in FF.

QFT

Caddy
02-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Maroneys time to shine now

Sveen
02-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Corey Dillon's agent disputes his client's claims that the running back will retire. The agent said Dillon will seek a new team if it's the right opportunity.
Dillon told the Boston Globe Thursday night that he was planning to retire. Either his agent is trying to convince him otherwise or Dillon just wants a starting job elsewhere. "He figures he has a year or two left where he can be a premier performer," agent Steve Feldman said. He said "all options are open," and retirement is one of those. Either way, look for the Patriots to release Dillon soon.

Source: Rotoworld.com

etk
02-23-2007, 10:42 AM
This is good for the Pats because Mauroney is better and now it's his time to shine.

princefielder28
02-23-2007, 10:43 AM
He had a solid career but it's better to go away before you become dead weight

Vikes99ej
02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
I think the Patriots will still go after a RB on Day 1. Maroney has never been a featured back throughout his football career.

rugger
02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Dillon is not retiring, he wants to be released so he can sign with another team. He doesn't want to play for the Pats anymore. He wants to be released March 1st, but if the Pats wait until the June cuts, Dillon's cap number will go from about 4 mil to 2 mil.

02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Dillon is not retiring, he wants to be released so he can sign with another team. He doesn't want to play for the Pats anymore. He wants to be released March 1st, but if the Pats wait until the June cuts, Dillon's cap number will go from about 4 mil to 2 mil.

If that is true the only team he would start on would be Detroit, because all of their backups suck and KJ cant play with that foot.

On second thought maybe a return to Ohio isn't out of the question.....as a Brown

Handel
02-23-2007, 06:12 PM
On Pats web site
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=24230&pcid=41

According to Corey Dillon's agent, Steve Feldman, the Patriots have agreed to release his client on March 2.

Corey Dillon’s agent, Steve Feldman, appeared on WSKO Providence’s late afternoon show and said the Patriots have agreed to release the veteran running back on March 2.

This comes after The Boston Globe reported Friday morning that Dillon asked the Patriots for his release so he can announce his retirement. Meanwhile, The Boston Herald quoted Feldman as saying Dillon has indeed asked to be released but it’s not definite whether or not he will retire. Either way, it looks like Dillon’s career with the Patriots could come to an end next week.

Prowler
02-24-2007, 01:22 PM
the browns should pick him up so they can grab branch with their pick

jetsfan3
02-24-2007, 01:41 PM

I almost got him in a keeper league. :evil:

Anyway, I usually love to see Patriots go down, but Dillon was one of the only players I respected on the team. Goodbye and enjoy your life, Dillon.

02-24-2007, 02:20 PM

I almost got him in a keeper league. :evil:

Anyway, I usually love to see Patriots go down, but Dillon was one of the only players I respected on the team. Goodbye and enjoy your life, Dillon.

The one with the worst attitude is the only one you respected?

The Legend
02-24-2007, 02:31 PM
i dont think he is gonna retire because he ask to be let go and i hear they approved it

i say look at him going to steelers maybe

rickscott
02-26-2007, 07:53 AM
I thought he was an Ass in Cinti that thought only of himself. His comments about Willie Anderson and Co were totally classless. He's a punk that was a selfish player. He wasn't as good as Rudi when he left and we got Madeiu Williams for him so I was happy he left. I don't think he wants to retire, just a selfish move to get out of NE so he can find a job elsewhere as a starter

remix 6
02-26-2007, 08:08 AM
im suprised so many on this board love Maroney :)

who do you guys compare him to? Hes got it all

Nitschke-Hawk
02-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I thought he got a bad wrap for wanting out of Cincy years ago, but this kinda changes my mind, I thought he wanted to win games, he might end up on a bad team as "the feature back". I don't get this guy's thinking.

remix 6
02-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I thought he got a bad wrap for wanting out of Cincy years ago, but this kinda changes my mind, I thought he wanted to win games, he might end up on a bad team as "the feature back". I don't get this guy's thinking.

he wont be a featured back really..he gets a good run and goes to sideline..hes much slower than his past days and not as physical as he used to be. idk why he wants out so he can get more opportunties..only way he'll help you is endzone and if u have a real good run block where he might get some good plays

Tobzilla
02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Very smart decision on Dillon's part. Not only is he lengthening his quality of life by calling it quits somewhat early in his career, but he would have been steadily phased out of NE becuase of Laurence Maroney.

remix 6
02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Very smart decision on Dillon's part. Not only is he lengthening his quality of life by calling it quits somewhat early in his career, but he would have been steadily phased out of NE becuase of Laurence Maroney.

um did u read? he wants to play for another team that will give him more than 8-10 carries a game..he thinks he can still be a featured back for at least 2 more years