PDA

View Full Version : JBond and Toonster - Two giants battling for Mocking Pride

Shane P. Hallam
01-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Toonster and I did a joint mock, 3 rounds, and I think it turned out pretty decent. Some interesting falls and choices. As always, give feedback, and see which giant was successful.

JBond did odds, in red

Toon did evens, in black

1.MiamiDolphins-OLB/DE Chris Long

Pretty easy pick for me, With the Parcells/UVA ties, Long's good pass rushing skills could really help Miami.

2.St.LouisRams-OT Jake Long

3.AtlantaFalcons-DT Glenn Dorsey

With Smith working with two of the best DTs in the AFC as a D-Coordinator, he may opt for the best in the draft over D-Mac

4.OaklandRaiders-DT Sedrick Ellis

5.KansasCity-OT Ryan Clady

I still think KC will go O-line or D-line. If they are above 5, they may get a choice. If not, they shall take best lineman available. That is Clady.

6.NewYorkJets-OLB/DE Derrick Harvey

7.NewEnglandf/SanFrancisco-RB Darren McFadden

Bear with me. Maroney is GREAT. But, NE may go BPA (honestly, they will trade out of it,) but if they stay at 7, D-Mac to NE=MONEY.

8.Baltimore-QB Matt Ryan

9.Cincinnati-DE Vernon Gholston

Gholston could really go anywhere, and I like a Cinci D-line pick in the first.

10.NewOrleans-CB Leodis McKelvin

11.Buffalo-LB Keith Rivers

I'm really buying into Rivers and Buffalo's need for an OLB. WR, playmaker, and secondary can come later.

12.Denver-S Kenny Phillips

13.Carolina-OT Jeff Otah

Would Carolina take a QB here? I doubt it. If an OT is still on the board, they have to go for it.

14.Chicago-QB Andre Woodson

15.Detroit-CB Mike Jenkins

I think Jenkins is a legit Top 10 pick. Value based here.

16.Arizona-RB Jonathan Stewart

17.Minnesota-DE Calais Campbell

I like Campbell more than most, and I think he fits in Minn

18.Houston-RB Felix Jones

19.Philadelphia-DE Phillip Merling

Another good fit. 1st round in Phili is usually O-line or D-line.

20.TampaBay-WR Desean Jackson

21.Washington-WR Malcolm Kelly

Maybe not Washington's biggest need, but it is hard to deny that Kelly at 21 looks very nice for Washington and can help Campbell progress.

22.Dallasf/Cleveland-CB Jack Ikegwuonu

23.Pittsburgh-OT Gosder Cherilus

I'm starting to buy into Gosder. He could come in and start for us.

24.Tennessee-WR Mario Manningham

25.Seattle-DB Reggie Smith

Reggie is versatile, Seattle can user secondary help overall, worth a shot.

26.Jacksonville-DE Lawrence Jackson

27.SanDiego-DL Kentwan Balmer

Balmer may fall now, but SD has little needs. Getting a solid DE can't hurt.

28.Dallas-RB Rashard Mendenhall

29.SanFranciscof/Indianapolis-WR Limas Sweed

Maybe I'll get bashed for this one. But, if Sweed times well, he has the height and speed to be a difference maker in SF.

30.GreenBay-CB Patrick Lee

31.NewYorkGiants-Cb Aqib Talib

Giants and secondary help is needed. So many good corners. Talib is physical and could end up being a Ronde Barber kind of corner.

32.NewEngland-Forfeit

1.Miami-OT Sam Baker

Baker is getting some love. If he is here in the 2nd, Miami may look to sure up the trenches more. THAT'S HOW YOU WIN!

2.St.Louis-DE/OLB Chris Ellis

3.OaklandRaiders-OT Chris Williams

I like Williams, could be a first rounder. Russell would like a big OT.

4.KansasCity-DT Pat Sims

5.NYJets-DL Dre Moore

Moore can play in the 3-4, he's legit.

6.Atlanta-QB Chad Henne

7.Baltimore-CB Charles Godfrey

I like Godfrey more than most, and Baltimore could reach for a nickel corner to eventually start. Godfrey fits better than most.

8.San FRancisco-OLB/DE Quentin Groves

9.New Orleans-LB Curtis Lofton

Lofton to the second round? NO needs LB help, and they could go MLB if Lofton falls. If not, OLB could be attractive.

10.Buffalo-TE Martellus Bennett

11.Denver-LB Dan Connor

Danny falling fast! Denver gets a steal and can work with Connor to see where he can play.

12.Carolina-QB Brian Brohm

13.Chicago-OL Carl Nicks

If Chicago does go QB in the first, an O-lineman could help ease the offensive pain.

14.Detroit-LB Jerod Mayo

15.Cincinnati-LB Ali Highsmith

Highsmith is a hard hitter and a leader, someone Cinci needs.

16.Minnesota-WR Earl Bennett

17.Atlf/Houston-RB Jamaal Charles

Atlanta grabbed a big DT, a QB, and now a RB to pair with Norwood when Dunn leaves.

18.Philadelphia-OT Anthony Collins

19.Arizona-CB Brandon Flowers

Which CB to take? If Arizona doesn't go corner in the 1st, gotta do it now.

20.Washington-CB Tracy Porter

21.TampaBay-DE Jason Jones

I think Jones will rise and he's a legit NFL starter.

22.Pittsburgh-WR James Hardy

23.Tennessee-TE Fred Davis

He's small, but he's a bigtime playmaker.

24.Seattle-TE John Carlson

25.Cleveland-DT Ahtyba Rubin

I like Rubin as a NT in the 2nd round. Could help Cleveland.

26.miamif/SanDiego-DL DeMario Pressley

27.Jacksonville-WR Early Doucet

Doucet may rise and be a late 1st/early 2nd. He has speed, he has what Jacksonville needs.

28.Indianapolis-OL John Greco

29.GreenBay-LB Phillip Wheeler

Wheeler is versatile and could eventually start at OLB.

30.Dallas-WR Donnie Avery

31.NYGiants-LB Beau Bell

Bell fits in with NYG. Still need to find that stud LB since Lavar fell off the face of the Earth.

32.NewEngland-LB Ezra Butler

1.Miami-CB Antoine Cason

I went with the value pick . Cason could be a 1st or 3rd rounder.

2.St.Louis-WR Adarius Bowman

3.KansasCity-WR Devin Thomas

Thomas could be SICK. A little raw, worth it in the 3rd.

4.NewYorkJets-OT Heath Benedict

5.ATlanta-OL Oniel Cousins

If Atlanta keeps ZBS, Cousins fits. If not, he still could be a beast.

6.NewEnglandPatriotsf/Oakland-CB Dwight Lowery

7.SanFrancisco-OG Roy Schuening

I like Schuening, not sure if he is a first day guy yet, so he falls here. Once Nolan sees him on the other sideline, who knows.

8.Buffalof/Baltimore-WR Andre Caldwell

9.Buffalo-Cb Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

I like Rodgers-Cromartie as a 2nd rounder, but there are SO many CBs in this draft. With a WR, TE, and LB, Buffalo can get secondary help.

10.Minnesotasf/Denver-S Quintin Demps

11.Carolina-S Thomas DeCoud

Maybe a little high for DeCoud, but he could be a mid-third rounder.

12.Chicago-S Jonathon Hefney

13.Detroit-OT Tony Hills

I think Hills could be a legit OT with time. Detroit needs some O-line.

14.Cincinnati-DT Trevor Laws

15.NewOrleans-LB Erin Henderson

If NO gets Lofton, they can still take another LB. Why not?

16.Houston-LB Geno Hayes

17.Philly-CB Justin King

I wasn't sure when making this pick, but King and Phili seem to bode well.

18.arizona-olb cliff avril

19.minnesota-QB Joe Flacco

Flacco in the third? Depends on Senior Bowl, but at this point, too good for Minny to pass up.

20.tampabay-rb chris johnson

21.washington-DE Jeremy Thompson

I like Thompson over Langford.

22.tennessee-DE kendall langford

23.seattle-DT Andre Fluellen

Fluellen or a big man for Seattle? Fluellen gives more pass-rush, I'll go him.

24.cleveland-dl marcus harrison

25.pittsburgh-ol branden albert

Albert fell, I was glad to pick him for my Steelers.

26.jacksonville-ol drew radovich

27.chicagof/sandiego-og Robert felton

OG run!

28.greenbay-qb josh johnson

29.dallas-dt frank okam

Okam CAN be a NT. Stays in Texas, and gets motivated perhaps.

30.indianapolis-dt Richard clebert

31.nyg-s dajuan morgan

My last pick is to continue rebuilding NYG's seconary.

32.newengland-s lavelle hawkins

In conclusion, I think the draft turned out decent. I wanted to grab Lavelle Hawkins earlier, but any team I picked for didn't quite need the speed WR, but Hawkins could rise fast. Likewise, I like Red Bryant more than most, but couldn't pick him. Booty and Brennan still not chosen, just not a major need for QBs unless some teams go with back-ups. Good draft, I hope to hear your comments and see if I took down the toonman!

fenikz
01-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Cason >>>>>> Flowers

but you got our needs right

btw in case you didn't know Jack Ikegwuonu got hurt pretty badly, torn ACl & MCL i think probably won't be picked until maybe the 4th now

Turtlepower
01-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Good Giants draft. I would have preferred Baker over Talib in the 1st, but not a problem with how it played out. Hopefully Morgan can step up his play and produce because I'm not sure I would want another safety who will just be a name on the depth chart. =D

diabsoule
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Love the Saints draft. Absolutely beautiful.

etk
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
This is one of the best Bucs mocks I've seen so far. Jones and Johnson are different picks but I like them. I like all 3 picks, but I don't love them, but that's good for a 3-round mock.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-24-2008, 11:58 PM
good Oakland draft.

TACKLE
01-24-2008, 11:59 PM
The Jets take Harvey over McFadden. Why?

Shane P. Hallam
01-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Toon will be coming in and adding explanations and explain the two concerns (about Jake and the Jets pick).

As for Cason, he's not there yet, we'll see what happens. And Baker over Talib? Eh, I like Talib a lot and think he fits in with NYG.

Turtlepower
01-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Toon will be coming in and adding explanations and explain the two concerns (about Jake and the Jets pick).

As for Cason, he's not there yet, we'll see what happens. And Baker over Talib? Eh, I like Talib a lot and think he fits in with NYG.

I really think I'm just a PAC-10 homer from going to school out here. I honestly still see Baker as worthy of a top-15 pick and think injuries are the main reason he falls that far. I love Diehl on our o-line, but I think he would still be much better back at guard. Really, I guess I'm just much higher on Baker than many other people.

Vikes99ej
01-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I like the first two picks a lot, but I'm a little unsure about the last two picks. Will we go the 1-AA developmental route again?

thebow305
01-25-2008, 12:17 AM
pretty solid miami draft. i was real happy with long, cason, and baker.... but I would rather take cason with our 2nd rounder from SD, and instead in the 3rd take Frank Okam. I'm not a huge Pressley fan, and IMO, Long will play DE in our 3-4, so we don't need another DE, which is what Pressley would be for us. On the other hand, Okam could play NT for us.

thetedginnshow
01-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Oh Jets. No matter what the numbers may say, please don't do this in the first round.

Crickett
01-25-2008, 01:48 AM

Would St. Louis draft a guy who is at best going to play guard for a few years if Orlando Pace can rebound second overall?

The Jets need a linebacker for one reason. To generate a pass rush. And as such, why would the Jets pass on Gholston for Harvey?

While its true the Chargers don't have many needs, why would they draft an end ahead of sayyyyy anything? They have Olshansky and Castillo who are great.

Maybe I'll get bashed for this one. But, if Sweed times well, he has the height and speed to be a difference maker in SF.

I'm not going to bash the pick, but the reasoning....... thats the same reasoning the 49ers used when they took Vernon Davis. Being a receiver is more than height and speed.

5.NYJets-DL Dre Moore

But is he too legit to quit?

6.Atlanta-QB Chad Henne

Seriously?

G-Men88
01-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Veryh Good Giants draft, and Talib is a much better pick than Baker

DLionALL
01-25-2008, 02:44 AM
Great Eagles mock. Adds another DE to develop and work with Cole, and depth at corner and OT. You sirs, has won one free intarnets.

Shane P. Hallam
01-25-2008, 03:07 AM

Would St. Louis draft a guy who is at best going to play guard for a few years if Orlando Pace can rebound second overall?

The Jets need a linebacker for one reason. To generate a pass rush. And as such, why would the Jets pass on Gholston for Harvey?

While its true the Chargers don't have many needs, why would they draft an end ahead of sayyyyy anything? They have Olshansky and Castillo who are great.

I'm not going to bash the pick, but the reasoning....... thats the same reasoning the 49ers used when they took Vernon Davis. Being a receiver is more than height and speed.

5.NYJets-DL Dre Moore

But is he too legit to quit?

6.Atlanta-QB Chad Henne

Seriously?

Can't comment on Toon's stuff.

For SD, sure they have good starters, but little depth behind them IMO. They need some type of rotation. I thought Balmer was a better pick than Lofton or another CB or WR.

As for Sweed, VD has been hurt and is getting keyed into. Sweed is a good WR at this point, and grades out as a first round pick. I don't see the problem.

For Dre Moore, I have no idea what you mean. Moore has all the athleticism and he has improved every year. The kind of player I'd want personally.

Shane P. Hallam
01-25-2008, 03:08 AM
I like the first two picks a lot, but I'm a little unsure about the last two picks. Will we go the 1-AA developmental route again?

I thought of that, but the value was too good. Flacco is more NFL ready right now than JAckson was when he was drafted. I only think Minny goes QB if the value is there and it was for me/

Don Killuminati
01-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Not sure about Williams for Oakland. We just dropped a high pick on a tackle who was questionable until his senior year.

Sims and Rubin would float my boat, though.

Jay
01-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Although I would LOVE to see McFadden with the Patriots and the two headed beast of Darren McMaroney, I would think they'd hold that pick for ransom and make a huge deal there. I know you guys weren't doing trades, do I'm just saying.

The Legend
01-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Although I would LOVE to see McFadden with the Patriots and the two headed beast of Darren McMaroney, I would think they'd hold that pick for ransom and make a huge deal there. I know you guys weren't doing trades, do I'm just saying.

i hate to agree with you but i do again, seems like im coming one post to late behind you slow down buddy let me catch up and get ahead of you lol

but i think the partiots would quickly trade to the cowboys who we know want McFadden, then again most mock draft have no trades, what they would be abale to do with that pick would be scary, and could set up another year of amazing draft picks (hopefully they will trade with 49ers again ;))

Jay
01-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Why do you hate to agree with me :(

Haha.

The Legend
01-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Why do you hate to agree with me :(

Haha.

because i agreed with you on the last 4 mock threads lol

DiG
01-25-2008, 07:53 AM
i cant see the redskins drafting wr in rd 1 but i could live with Kelly. cb, de, and oline all take bigger priority over wr unless the value just isnt there.

as for porter im not sure he fits. itll really depend on who our defensive coach is so its hard to say right now. with the right coaching i think he could turn out to be a good pick.

i honestly dont know much about thompson. hopefully he has the frame to add another 10 or so pounds. he intrigues me at least for now.

Bills2083
01-25-2008, 08:17 AM
1.) Keith Rivers
2.) James Hardy
3.) Jermichael Finley
3.) Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie

I switched positions in round 2 and 3 because WR is a larger need than TE.

Billingsley26
01-25-2008, 08:48 AM
1.) Keith Rivers
2.) James Hardy
3.) Jermichael Finley
3.) Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie

I switched positions in round 2 and 3 because WR is a larger need than TE.

I dont mind this draft. The only thing is that Andre Caldwell is almost carbon copy to Lee Evans. We dont really another WR like that. Still not a bad mock.

hugegmenfan
01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
ok giants draft- id rather have like erin henderson 1st round, but 2nd round is fabulous

XxXdragonXxX
01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Seahawks

round 1- Reggie Nelson, The Seahawks COULD use a strong safety, as a backup.... the secondary is definately not a first round need. Especially not with Mendenhall on the board.

Round 2- John Carlson, Good pick, good player and fills a big need.

Round 3- Andre Fluellen, I don't disagree with the position....but I do disagree with the size and skill set. The Seahawks already have enough pass rushing DT's. What they need is a healthy Marcus Tubbs.

Vikes99ej
01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Seahawks

round 1- Reggie Nelson, The Seahawks COULD use a strong safety, as a backup.... the secondary is definately not a first round need. Especially not with Mendenhall on the board.

Round 2- John Carlson, Good pick, good player and fills a big need.

Round 3- Andre Fluellen, I don't disagree with the position....but I do disagree with the size and skill set. The Seahawks already have enough pass rushing DT's. What they need is a healthy Marcus Tubbs.

Something's not right here....

ATLDirtyBirds
01-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I love Jamaal Charles, but he isn't a good complement to Norwood.

Shane P. Hallam
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I dont mind this draft. The only thing is that Andre Caldwell is almost carbon copy to Lee Evans. We dont really another WR like that. Still not a bad mock.

Toon picked Caldwell, so I just went corner. WR in the 3rd just doesn't fit Buffalo much.

As for NE. If NO ONE wanted to trade with them, who would they take?

Crickett
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
For Dre Moore, I have no idea what you mean. Moore has all the athleticism and he has improved every year. The kind of player I'd want personally.

It was an attempt at an MC Hammer joke. :(

TacticaLion
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I like the positions drafted in the first 2 rounds, but not the picks.

Jenkins might be a talented CB, but I don't see him as a great fit for the Cover 2. He's not great in run support and has character concerns... two things that will make Marinelli drafting him very unlikely. Instead, grab Aqib Talib (who is a great fit for the defense) or trade down.

I'd also rather have Wheeler over Mayo in round 2. Wheeler played MLB in college, is faster than Mayo and can drop back in coverage. Speed and coverage ability are necessary for a Cover 2 MLB, and I don't think Mayo has enough of both.

I also don't think OL will be the pick in round 3... especially if we resign Woody. Instead, I'd look at Justin King with this pick. The Lions need a lot of help at CB, and King would improve the position greatly.

etk
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I'd also rather have Wheeler over Mayo in round 2. Wheeler played MLB in college, is faster than Mayo and can drop back in coverage. Speed and coverage ability are necessary for a Cover 2 MLB, and I don't think Mayo has enough of both.

Mayo is a better fit for a Cover 2 from my own personal opinion. Wheeler likes pressing the LOS and blitzing, whereas Mayo can fill from depth. Coverage is something he has to work on a bit but Wheeler isn't better in that area.

nvot9
01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Not opposed to our disagreeing with the pick, just curious as to why you have Harvey over Gholston for the Jets? I could see it depending on e/o's workouts, just wondering what made you decide to do that..

LonghornsLegend
01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I could live with that Cowboys draft, I could see it changing because alot of positions drafted like WR or NT might be handled through free agency which would change the picks, but if it wasnt I would be happy with those guys...Keep hearing Avery has elite speed and he could stretch our defense to new levels, I could even buy us taking him if we got another wr...

Mendanhall would be worth taking, although I would rather take chris johnson because he's the better fit to be a 2 back system and we could take him later...Okam is ok, he CAN be a NT, a good one, but thats asking alot to keep his motor high at a position he didnt play much of...Id rather go with Pat Sims a little earlier, the difference between him and Okam at NT is greater then the difference between Mendenhall and Johnson, and I like the combo of Sims and Johnson better then Mendenhall and Okam

TacticaLion
01-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Mayo is a better fit for a Cover 2 from my own personal opinion. Wheeler likes pressing the LOS and blitzing, whereas Mayo can fill from depth. Coverage is something he has to work on a bit but Wheeler isn't better in that area.It's interesting you said that... Barry loves blitzing his MLB (he did it quite a bit with Lenon). The coaches love speed and sideline-to-sideline range, and Wheeler has that.

If Wheeler keeps impressing, though, he may not be available in the 2nd round.

Shane P. Hallam
01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Toon and I are working on a new mock for Post Senior Bowl.

Thunder&Lightning
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
average chargers pick like to see them go secondary or OL

etk
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
It's interesting you said that... Barry loves blitzing his MLB (he did it quite a bit with Lenon). The coaches love speed and sideline-to-sideline range, and Wheeler has that.

If Wheeler keeps impressing, though, he may not be available in the 2nd round.

We blitzed Quarles a lot in Tampa, but he wasn't much of an athlete to begin with. Mayo can blitz pretty effectively, but he's no Wheeler. In my next mock I don't think either LB will be available for the Lions in the 2nd.

asmitty45
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Love the Lions draft, although i wouldnt be surprised to see them take DRC/Jon Stewart there.

Dr. Gonzo
01-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Big fan of the Vikings draft. Nice picks.

TacticaLion
01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
We blitzed Quarles a lot in Tampa, but he wasn't much of an athlete to begin with. Mayo can blitz pretty effectively, but he's no Wheeler. In my next mock I don't think either LB will be available for the Lions in the 2nd.

Ouch... neither LB for the Lions in round 2.

If that's the truth, I think the Lions would take a LB in the 1st round (or trade down and draft a LB) and grab CBs in rounds 2-3.

Want to please a Lions fan? Have an intriguing trade involving Roy Williams and acquiring additional picks. Take the best MLB and Talib (from Roy trade) in round 1, Cason (if available) in round 2, either a solid RB or NT in round 3 and address OT/KR in later picks.

The team has said that they're going to focus on MLB and CB in the draft... this fills all of those holes with studs.

sdpads24
01-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Can't comment on Toon's stuff.

For SD, sure they have good starters, but little depth behind them IMO. They need some type of rotation. I thought Balmer was a better pick than Lofton or another CB or WR.

I don't think you quite realize our situation at DE right now. We have already signed Jacque Cesaire and Ryon Bingham to long term deals and they have played good enough. I doubt AJ would go that direction with that pick. Sure it would be nice to have another talented defensive lineman, but I don't think its a big enough priority to address in the first round. Next year we are going to lose our #3 corner Florence so addressing that position will most likely be the biggest priority with RT behind that. We can't beat teams like New England and Indianapolis without a good #3 corner for our nickel defense.

NGSeiler
01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Not too thrilled about any of the Rams' selections. Jake Long in the first is okay with Chris off the board, makes more sense to me than the Dorsey pick to be honest. But I'm not a fan of Ellis in the second or Bowman in the third. Admittedly you said this wasn't a post Senior Bowl mock and my opinions on both have shifted due to their performance this week and in the game.

d34ng3l021
01-28-2008, 11:35 PM
1. Dorsey
2. Henne
3. Charles
4. some OT.

1. okay pick. I prefer Ellis over Dorsey because Ellis would be able to play NT for us, and we can keep Coleman and Babs at UT.

2. ok pick, but with Brohm on the board? no way.

3. Charles is almost the same RB as norwood, except with less strength. we would look to compliment norwood with a power back, unless mcfadden is on the board. then maybe we would pick him.

4. we dont have the zbs scheme. we took it out a year ago, and have been drafting and getting players for a power scheme.

i dont want to be rude, but all in all, its a pretty terrible Falcons mock.