PDA

View Full Version : Legedu Naanee=AJ Smith Steal

zdh87
01-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Did anyone else notice how much Legedu Naanee played in the playoffs? and how well he played? He looked strong and quick, running good routes and displaying good hands and separation skills. Yet another example of a late round AJ Smith Steal. I saw his combine numbers and he was near or in the top 5 in a lot of drill times. Here is the site, it has some cool info. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombinebypos.php?draftyear=2007&GenPos=WR&sortorder=fourty&order=ASC
(that is the WR times but the others for 2007 are right there)

Average OT LB
01-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Naanee being a good athlete has never been the issue. The issue is, what position does he play? Hes not built or fluid enough at any position... My prediction is he'll be a passing downs full back or blocking slot receiver or something odd like that..

I wouldn't call him a steal, because... what are we 'stealing'? a tweener with no real position? Hes good tho and I like him.. we'll just have to wait and see how it all unfolds..

KRS1
01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
From everything I have heard he will be a reciever. Buddy Nix and AJ Smith have all said as much in multiple radio interviews. He was a possible H-Back type when he was drafted but they have said he will stay at reciever since. He has decent size and good speed there also. I honestly think we may see him take over for Eric Parker (who I think will be cut). Norv Likes to pass the ball around and Legadu gives him lots of options as a 3rd or 4th reciever or like Avg OT LB Fullback. I can see him getting a lot of plays designed for him next season. For where we got him and with his skills and size he was DEFINITELY a steal for us even if they were not sure what position he would actually play. You can coach a guy into a position you can't coach his intangibles and natural ability.

bergo23
01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Hopefully Joiner can develop him further........Joiner was a route running ACE, so he should help everybody but Parker, whose only strength was running routes.

That draw to Nanee was possibly the biggest play we had on offense in the playoffs. Him and Jackson are bigger than average WR's, so it gives us some nice options in the running game. Norv was on the radio saying "I can't say enough about Nanee' he is going to be something special."

boisefan
02-17-2008, 01:03 AM
As a boise state fan, I watched every game he played in. He can play any position you put him in, and he catches everything you throw at him. He caught everything thrown his way and his athleticism reminds me of Vernon Davis in san fran, he was a steal in the 5th, expect many great things from him next year.

defensiveback23
02-17-2008, 01:24 AM
The guys definitely a stud. He has amazing tools and should play a good sized role in the offense next year. Its a good feeling to hear the way players and coaches talk him and Davis up. Hopefully he can get enough playing time next year with Parker coming back. He potentially will be behind LT, Gates, Chambers, Jackson, Davis and Parker in the pecking order next year. I'm not really complaining though since there are not many offense with the amount of weapons and talent that ours has. Naanee reminds me of Anquan Boldin physically because they both are big bodied with good speed and tackle breaking ability. Its an understatement to say it would be nice if he could develop a similar production level.

bored of education
02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I don think the WR position will be an issue for the Chargers. I think chemistry is more of an issue and that just occurs through playing games

DonWoods33
02-29-2008, 11:22 AM
The guys definitely a stud. He has amazing tools and should play a good sized role in the offense next year. Its a good feeling to hear the way players and coaches talk him and Davis up. Hopefully he can get enough playing time next year with Parker coming back. He potentially will be behind LT, Gates, Chambers, Jackson, Davis and ??Parker?? in the pecking order next year. I'm not really complaining though since there are not many offense with the amount of weapons and talent that ours has. Naanee reminds me of Anquan Boldin physically because they both are big bodied with good speed and tackle breaking ability. Its an understatement to say it would be nice if he could develop a similar production level.

Why does anyone think Eric Parker is even going to be a factor? Do we not forget the last game he played in? Hows this for a reminder. A dropped pass on 3rd down, and a fumbled punt that cost them a playoff game. I would be surprised if he is not axed the first week of camp (if he isn't before hand). He had his day, but that day is long past.

DonWoods33
02-29-2008, 11:40 AM
The guys definitely a stud. He has amazing tools and should play a good sized role in the offense next year. Its a good feeling to hear the way players and coaches talk him and Davis up. Hopefully he can get enough playing time next year with Parker coming back. He potentially will be behind LT, Gates, Chambers, Jackson, Davis and ??Parker?? in the pecking order next year. I'm not really complaining though since there are not many offense with the amount of weapons and talent that ours has. Naanee reminds me of Anquan Boldin physically because they both are big bodied with good speed and tackle breaking ability. Its an understatement to say it would be nice if he could develop a similar production level.

Why does anyone think Eric Parker is even going to be a factor? Do we not forget the last game he played in? Hows this for a reminder. A dropped pass on 3rd down, and a fumbled punt that cost them a playoff game. I would be surprised if he is not axed the first week of camp (if he isn't before hand). He had his day, but that day is long past.

defensiveback23
02-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Do you not remember the great seasons he gave us as opposed to the one bad game he had for us. I know it was a playoff game but you cannot judge a player based on one bad day, its just extremely ignorant. He won't be cut because for one thing he's an AJ Smith favorite and for another he will raise our 3rd down conversion percentage by a good margin. He runs great routes, has good hands and has one of the strongest work ethics on the team. I'm not saying he's going to have dazzling production, just that he will find a niche in a limited slot role for 3rd down situations. I can't believe we have Chargers fans actually rooting against a guy that, as the old cliché goes, bleeds blue and gold.

SDSupaChargers
02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Do you not remember the great seasons he gave us as opposed to the one bad game he had for us. I know it was a playoff game but you cannot judge a player based on one bad day, its just extremely ignorant. He won't be cut because for one thing he's an AJ Smith favorite and for another he will raise our 3rd down conversion percentage by a good margin. He runs great routes, has good hands and has one of the strongest work ethics on the team. I'm not saying he's going to have dazzling production, just that he will find a niche in a limited slot role for 3rd down situations. I can't believe we have Chargers fans actually rooting against a guy that, as the old cliché goes, bleeds blue and gold.

I agree with you completely that we should not give up on Eric Parker just because of one bad game, but I question what exactly his role is on this team. Look at our receivers: Chambers, VJ, Buster, Naane, and Floyd. That's five capable receivers. Where would Parker get his playing time? Do you think he is going to be happy only coming in on third down slot situations? Buster was our first rounder last year and Naane showed some real potential. Do you think that they are going to be made our 4th and 5th WRs? I personally just don't see that happening, and I don't see Parker being happy with an incredibly limited role. While Parker may bleed blue and gold, it still may be his time to go.

DonWoods33
03-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Great? He was the best of a bad lot, dude. They had to play someone, so yes he got some numbers. Pat Curren got numbers when he started, Mark Seay and Bobby Duckworth got numbers when the started. Here's what I remember about him, he's small, slow, and blew it in the biggest game in his life. He suckked in the Jets game in 04 too. Yes there is something to be said for heart, but you have to have some natural talent.

defensiveback23
03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Great? He was the best of a bad lot, dude. They had to play someone, so yes he got some numbers. Pat Curren got numbers when he started, Mark Seay and Bobby Duckworth got numbers when the started. Here's what I remember about him, he's small, slow, and blew it in the biggest game in his life. He suckked in the Jets game in 04 too. Yes there is something to be said for heart, but you have to have some natural talent.

I'll admit it was a stretch to call his play great, but I was only using it as a figure of speech. Believe me, I understand why you would like him gone. Both Davis and Naanee are more talented receivers who need snaps. All I am saying is keeping him around as a situational player for 3rd downs and occasional subs would not be a bad thing.

There are a multitude of reasons I think we should keep Parker and I'll begin with his great hands and crisp routes. He has been able to consistently get separation throughout his career due to his ability to set up corners and make sharp breaks. Great hands are pretty much self explanatory, but he has demonstrated them time and time again and can hold onto the ball after taking a hit. He is not slow, although he is also not a burner but he has pretty good speed. I remember quit a few occasions he was open deep and was missed by a Brees' floater. He is also a great locker room guy who can help bring along the younger receivers. His veteran savvy will be invaluable for Davis and Naanee. He has made a number of big time receptions on 3rd down and did not earn the nickname "the bondsman" for no reason. He put up decent numbers and gets good separation against teams' number one/two corners, I have a feeling he'll be able to get open against nickel backs. He could be a very dangerous threat out of the slot where his great hands, routes and quickness are highly valued assets. Those 3rd and medium/short situations will be a perfect place for him to carve out a niche in the offense. I'm not saying he'll have the same impact, but he could be very similar to Wes Welker in those situations.

You bring up the Jets game, Parker had 9 catches for 93 yards that night. I would not exactly describe that performance in the terms you did. He did have a terrible game against the Pats, but again it is unfair to judge a player by one performance. In my opinion, his consistent play over the course of his career outweighs the bad performance he had in the playoffs.

fischbowl
03-03-2008, 06:39 PM
As a Bills fan, all I must say is I LOVE LEGEDU!

I wanted him very very badly last year and applauded AJ Smith after that selection but sulked quietly at Marv Levy's insolence.

DonWoods33
03-04-2008, 06:57 AM
I'll admit it was a stretch to call his play great, but I was only using it as a figure of speech. Believe me, I understand why you would like him gone. Both Davis and Naanee are more talented receivers who need snaps. All I am saying is keeping him around as a situational player for 3rd downs and occasional subs would not be a bad thing.

There are a multitude of reasons I think we should keep Parker and I'll begin with his great hands and crisp routes. He has been able to consistently get separation throughout his career due to his ability to set up corners and make sharp breaks. Great hands are pretty much self explanatory, but he has demonstrated them time and time again and can hold onto the ball after taking a hit. He is not slow, although he is also not a burner but he has pretty good speed. I remember quit a few occasions he was open deep and was missed by a Brees' floater. He is also a great locker room guy who can help bring along the younger receivers. His veteran savvy will be invaluable for Davis and Naanee. He has made a number of big time receptions on 3rd down and did not earn the nickname "the bondsman" for no reason. He put up decent numbers and gets good separation against teams' number one/two corners, I have a feeling he'll be able to get open against nickel backs. He could be a very dangerous threat out of the slot where his great hands, routes and quickness are highly valued assets. Those 3rd and medium/short situations will be a perfect place for him to carve out a niche in the offense. I'm not saying he'll have the same impact, but he could be very similar to Wes Welker in those situations.

You bring up the Jets game, Parker had 9 catches for 93 yards that night. I would not exactly describe that performance in the terms you did. He did have a terrible game against the Pats, but again it is unfair to judge a player by one performance. In my opinion, his consistent play over the course of his career outweighs the bad performance he had in the playoffs.

I seem to remember another dropped 3rd Down pass, that occurred in a pretty big spot, in that 04 Jets loss, but perhaps I am wrong on that score. The main deal is unless they keep six receivers, he's going to be caught up in a numbers crunch. You have Jackson, Chambers, Davis, Naanee, and Osgood. You're not going to cut any of those guys to keep him. So even if they stash Naanee at TE. It's going to come to down to a rookie (I am assuming they draft one or at least sign a couple as a UDFA's), Malcom Floyd and Parker.
I guess they could try, and trade Floyd, and get another second day pick or future considerations. Personally at this point I think he (Floyd) offers you a lot more if he is pressed into for starting for any length of time then Parker would. I have always liked him so I am kind of biased but at one point I thought he was going to do a lot more then he did last year. So maybe a change of address will help him. My other point is, if they unearth some gem that has the potential to be the next Wes Welker, Steve Smith, Dante Hall or heck even Legedu Naanee and he gets cut or is not even drafted, because of Eric Parker's "intangibles". Thats not making progress in my eyes.

UncleHulka
03-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Parker has a pretty lofty contract, too. Yet another reason that he's in danger of being cast off. He was solid with the exception of that NE playoff game, though. But now it looks as if Rivers has deemed Jackson as his chain-moving option after Gates. Damn, but if Jackson didn't grow up in a hurry.

CC.SD
04-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Parker has a pretty lofty contract, too. Yet another reason that he's in danger of being cast off. He was solid with the exception of that NE playoff game, though. But now it looks as if Rivers has deemed Jackson as his chain-moving option after Gates. Damn, but if Jackson didn't grow up in a hurry.

His contract's not that bad IIRC correctly. I still think he's gone though. Chambers and Jackson are cemented as starters, and there's no way AJ just sits around and watches Buster Davis rot.

UncleHulka
04-13-2008, 12:02 AM
His contract's not that bad IIRC correctly. I still think he's gone though. Chambers and Jackson are cemented as starters, and there's no way AJ just sits around and watches Buster Davis rot.
1.85 million according to rotoworld. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=607) That's just too much for a guy that probably isn't a number 3 option anymore.

CC.SD
04-13-2008, 06:43 PM
1.85 million according to rotoworld. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=607) That's just too much for a guy that probably isn't a number 3 option anymore.

I don't think we'll get anything worthwhile in a trade though, and we're well under the cap. No reason he won't be good depth, but we do need to get Buster some PT.

I highly doubt AJ drafts even one WR this year. We are (I can't believe this) stacked at that position.

boisefan
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Legedu better get more playing time next year, but I believe he will since every Charger fan knows he can be explosive with the ball in his hand.

defensiveback23
04-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Legedu better get more playing time next year, but I believe he will since every Charger fan knows he can be explosive with the ball in his hand.

He has specific packages created for him and Norv Turner has been quoted describing him as "special". I'm pretty sure they got the drift lol.