PDA

View Full Version : Jeffrey Fitzgerald

ammandss
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-uva25,0,6143934.story

Looks like Jeffrey Fitzgerald is leaving Virginia. I don't want to speculate but whatever the reason it will definitely hurt his draft stock over the next couple years.

UVa has taken a big hit with Jameel Sewell, Chris Cook and a couple of other guys having academic issues and Mike London taking the head coaching job at his alma mater, Richmond.

Virginia still has some good prospects with: Eugene Monroe and Will Barker at the o-tackles, Clint Sintim at OLB, and a slew of other younger guys that could pan out.

ammandss
01-25-2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.dailyprogress.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP%2FMGArticle%2FCDP_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354355065&path=!sports

Here is another similar article in the Charlottesville Daily Progress.

toonsterwu
01-25-2008, 01:05 PM
bleh this has been a bad offseason for uva. well, here's to lalich at qb and gottschalk/fields at de.

on a side note, i think this belongs in the college football forum.

ammandss
01-28-2008, 09:59 AM
A couple more news releases say that he is still enrolled at UVa and his high school coach said he plans to graduate from UVa too. Still don't know the exact situation. Others were speculating that he may have had academic issues but otehr sources shot that down too. We will just wait and see.

Let's see the Lalich to Ogletree and Inman connections grow.

toonsterwu
01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure if this is allowed, so a higher mod, feel free to delete this. Anyhow, the heavy speculation in other places was that this wasn't a "Grades" issue, but rather a honor code violation. Again, let me reiterate, pure speculation and no one knows for certain, but that was the gossip. Having not been to UVA and too lazy to look up UVA's rules, I have no idea what said violation entails, although I certainly have my ideas.

There's still a reported chance that Sewell will be able to reapply in the fall. Only time will tell. Chances seem slim, but while I am a big fan of Lalich, for our chances, we need Sewell. From what I understand, his grades weren't bad, they just weren't good for UVA, but the rumors suggest that he really wants to finish at UVA. That said, this was his 2nd time with academic issues, so if he comes back, they need to put a hall monitor on him (half joking here).

I'm hoping Fitzgerald is fine. Without Sewell, we need a strong defense. I think the UVA fan base is getting a little ridiculous in suggesting that all these losses will push us to the bottom of the ACC. But certainly, with a young QB, a strong defense would be nice. I'm not even certain who takes over in the interior OL (Slebonick seems slated for one guard spot, Milstead at the other guard?). TE is fine, we have to let Torchia develop into the role, but Phillips will provide a solid checkdown option. The WR's should be better with experience and the return of Ogletree. The Keith Payne situation bears watching. THat said, He's 4th on the runners list, perhaps 5th (Peerman, Simpson, Jackson as the big back, and perhaps even Pearman).

The defense needs Fitzgerald. We can't go into the year that raw up front. Collins might be ready to assume a mantle of leadership, but Gottschalk/Jenkins are young, and Fields hasn't done much. The loss of Cook isn't as big as suggested, as the secondary's young pieces should get better, and replacing Dias is fine at LB.

The bigger issue UVA faces is with recruiting. Certainly, with a young squad and a freshman class that was largely redshirted, a down recruiting year could be expected. And certainly, sleepers can emerge. But this class looks bad on paper, and the loss of Mike London certainly doesn't help. What would help is Lalich settling in and the offense to look more explosive and interesting, harkening back to the days of Matt Schaub.

It hasn't been a good month for UVA sports, that's for sure. Basketball's going through a tailspin right now, although we've got a good class coming in next year (a lot of bashing on Leitao by UVA fans these days, which is a bit ridiculous, IMO). Um, tennis is good, so I hear?

ammandss
01-30-2008, 03:26 PM
It appears that Fitzgerald wrote an email to the Richmond-Times Dispatch saying that his plans are not definite.
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-01-26-0162.html
An honor code violation could make sense, but I guess we will have to wait and see (and still might not know anything due to privacy laws).

The recruiting is going to take a huge hit. I was pretty happy when we got London back from the Texans and was hoping he could tap that Hamptons region again. Now that he left it looks like Virginia Tech will reap all the benefits. Losing Al Golden to Temple was fine when you replace him with London, but I have no idea who they can get to replace London that will put me to ease.

I definitely like the secondary even without Cook. Vic Hall and especially Ras-I Dowling looked really nice at the end of the season. And we get back my Jersey boy, Mike Brown. I feel like I'm forgetting one other person at CB, but Cook shouldn't be too big of a hit.

Those basketball loses do really hurt, especially the ones at home. But even with Brandenburg and Landesburg coming in who is going to be the team leader? I've been reading some awesome stuff about Landesburg and am exited about seeing him more.

Hokie_Pokie08
01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
The recruiting is going to take a huge hit. I was pretty happy when we got London back from the Texans and was hoping he could tap that Hamptons region again. Now that he left it looks like Virginia Tech will reap all the benefits. Losing Al Golden to Temple was fine when you replace him with London, but I have no idea who they can get to replace London that will put me to ease.

tech was already able to pick and choose who we wanted from the 757 and now it is going to be damn near impossible for teams like uva, maryland, unc, and nc state to outrecruit us on guys that we are either deadset on/or they are deadset on us.

vatech=accdomination
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
finally, the VT FANS COMETH.

Hokie_Pokie08
01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
finally, the VT FANS COMETH.
i lurk. been signed up for close to a year.

vatech=accdomination
01-31-2008, 09:42 AM
lol, i guess ive never seen you.

ammandss
02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
How did a Virginia post turn into a VTech convention? However, I'll let you have your moment of glory as you just beat us in both basketball games this season.

Anyways, the Virginia-Pilot reports that the Fitzgerald issue will take 2-3 weeks to be resolved but he is still enrolled, which makes Toonster's idea of a possible honor code violation even more likely.

ammandss
02-26-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/spt_fitzgerald_0227,0,3716011.story

Looks like Jeffrey Fitzgerald is officially no longer enrolled at UVa. From the article it seems like he wanted to transfer to another school, but that seems like an odd decision. He is from Richmond, VA so it's likely not family issue unless he transfers to Richmond, which is now coached by UVa's defensive coordinator, Mike London. As far as NFL prospects, it seems like UVa would be a good fit with Al Groh's connections and the fact that Chris Long will be a top 5 pick and plays the same position.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/152152

The Roanoke Times article seems to confirm Toonsters theory that it may be an honor code violation, since Fitz was in good academic standing.

LonghornsLegend
02-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Can someone go into further detail about what type of things an honor code might cover...Im still unsure of why he had to leave Virginia in the first place if his grades were fine and he wasnt getting kicked off the team, Im sure im missing something though.

ammandss
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
"As of 2006, an honor offense is defined as an act of lying, cheating, or stealing, performed intentionally, of sufficient gravity such that open toleration of the act would impair the community of trust sufficiently enough to warrant expulsion of the offender. Despite the evolution of the system over the years, UVA's Honor System is rare in that it is administered entirely by the University's students. Princeton has also maintained an entirely student-run Honor Code since the beginning of their Code in 1893."

The UVa honor code courtesy of good ole Wikipedia. He was probably cheating on a test or something like that (assuming he had an honor code violation).

toonsterwu
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
It was certainly disappointing to read about this the other day. Fitzgerald was a guy who, if he performed well, had a chance of going in the first round in 2 years. He's a good end and that chance still exists, but the issues will be of concern.

This really dampens my hope on next year. That said, it isn't the end of the world. It likely pushes us from an shot at the top tier in the ACC even without Sewell (granted, the ACC on the whole looks weak next year) to a middle tier squad.

The defensive line still has talent. It's just young now. Jenkins is potentially our best NT since Groh's gotten there. Collins will get NT time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him to end some. Fields has to step up. Gottschalk has been compared to Chris Long since he's gotten there, but dang, he's raw. Other kids may have to step up. The one positive about, say, a Collins/Jenkins/Fields line is that if it develops, we have a chance of running more of a pro-34 than we have in the last few years, as we'd have bulk up front, allowing the veteran LB crew to attack.

Does this hurt recruiting? Yes. But it won't kill it, and early signs on 2009 for UVA in Virginia has been positive with Owah/Wallace committing, and others supposedly leaning UVA over VA tech for now. That said, the reality is, because of UVA's higher academic standards and UVA's honor code, our ability to attract top players will always be somewhat limited. While I think we have missed on several guys in recent years, Groh's staff has also been limited in what they could pursue.

But the biggest thing for recruiting is winning. This year's recruiting was a residual effect from the poor 06-07 year. That said, we missed on several guys late that would've bumped things up. We should see some positive impact from our 9-4 season in next year's recruiting class, although to keep the kids, we'll need to have a strong season next year as well.

vatech=accdomination
02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
VT only has 10 scholarships for next year, so you will prolly get more than usual :)

ammandss
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
"A source said JMU is still involved with former Virginia defensive end Jeffrey Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald left U.Va. and is expected to enroll at another college for the fall semester."

http://www.dailynews-record.com/sports_details.php?AID=15866&CHID=3

This is the first thing I've heard regarding Fitzgerald's potential landing spot. Richmond is another possibility.

ammandss
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.dailynews-record.com/sports_details.php?AID=15445&CHID=3

Here is another article listing Richmond, JMU and Kansas State as potential schools.

Damix
04-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Come to JMU!

neko4
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Come to JMU!
Yeah
so they can bring a 2nd national title to VA, something UVA wont do