PDA

View Full Version : My first mock...ever

summond822
01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Like the title says, this is my first mock draft ever. I tried to detail how I came to my decisions, and if that doesn't make sense in some cases then just ask and I would be happy to reply. Constructive critisicm is appreciated, and I would definately prefer for people not to say "that pick sucks, give us ___." Explain why so I can improve the mock in the future. Moving on:

1. Miami Ė Chris Long, DE, Virgina
The more I think about this pick, the more I like it. I mean Long has it alla non-stop motor, the ability to get after the QB, and not to mention he has some alright bloodlines *cough*. As with almost everyone else, I believe that Miami goes with Long first, however I would not be surprised to see this pick traded.

2. St. Louis Ė Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Since the Seahawks play the Rams twice a year, I get to see them a little more than I would like to. Offensively, they are set at all the skill positions. They need help along either line, and if you donít believe me check out their sack totals and sacks allowed against the Seahawks the last two years. I think that their o-line needs more help however, so I believe that they go that route and start grooming Orlando Paceís replacement or start him at RT right away.

3. Oakland Ė Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
I know, this is a shocker, Ellis going over Dorsey. However, I wouldnít underestimate the USC ties that Kiffin has, or the fact that Ellis came into the Senior Bowl @ 305 which IMO shot him way up draft boards. Dorsey has had more media attention, but I canít help but think that given the choice between two guys who are about the same weight-wise and have both had highly successful careers, that Oakland sticks with the more familiar kid in Ellis.
NOTE: If Kiffin is gone, I donít think that Oakland goes with Ellis, but with Dorsey.

4. Atlanta Ė Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
I am one of those people who believe that Atlanta doesnít have as big of a QB problem as many make it out to be. Plus, with the way that Redman lit up the Hawks D, it is hard for me to find fault there. Ultimately I believe that they go with the BPA and get a new face to their franchise, with what should be a popular pick. Even if Norwood comes on next year, I have trouble believing that he is a franchise back and would be better served if he shared carries with McFadden

5. Kansas City Ė Glen Dorsey, DT, LSU
Kansas City gets to address one of their needs, although it probably isnít the one that they want, but with Long off the board, they have little choice unless they decided to reach for Clady. Getting Dorsey solidifies their line for the foreseeable future and would add a dominant d-lineman who can get penetration.
6. New York Jets Ė Vernon Ghoulston, DE, Ohio State
We all know that Mangini has been trying to build a 3-4, but I would say that he hasnít quite finished acquiring all the pieces yet. Ghoulston is your prototypical DE/OLB tweener and I believe that Mangini will find it hard to pass on such a physical freak, even if for no better reason that to stop the Patriots from getting him.

7. New England Ė Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
This pick got a lot tougher when Laurinitis didnít declare for the draft. I donít see the Patriots hanging onto this pick, but since Iím not projecting trades I had to give them a CB as there is no way that the Patriots retain Samuel and they have little depth at that position. I debated McKelvin, Cason, and Jenkins here. None of them have the ball skills of Samuel, so they may address their depth with more than one pick in the secondary later on and I can see them taking a player like Chevis Jackson later on, but for the moment, I have to think that McKelvin is the pick.

8. Baltimore Ė Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
Baltimore is a tough team for me to pick. My first thoughts are LB and CB as they are aging at those positions. With McKelvin off the board, and seeing as how their depth at corner is pretty thin I was inclined to give them Jenkins. Then, I thought about what happened when Ray Lewis went out and suddenly Connor and Rivers are in the mix. QB was also an option, even though they have the ďTroy Smith ExperimentĒ going on there. Ultimately, I think that they take Ryan even with Smith on board because in Ryan they get a guy who has most of the tangibles and intangibles to succeed, whereas in Smith they have a guy with mostly intangibles, plus the new coaching staff may not like Smith. Iíll be the first to admit that this is a reach for a QB and I believe that Smith should get a shot, but new coaching staff usually means new QB, especially when there isnít an established one on the roster.

9. Cincinatti Ė Keith Rivers, LB, USC
Oh CincyÖhow you have disappointed once again. This pick was fairly easy for me as the Bengals have absolutely no depth at LB and never know when the next one is going to end up in prison or suspended by the league. Both Keith Rivers and Dan Connor would suit their needs, and they both have so much going for them. Rivers has played for a national championship team, Connor is from the ďLB UĒ. Rivers wore the legendary 55 jersey, Connor just won the best LB award. Ultimately, I give the spot to Rivers because I believe that he has more upside than Connor.

10. New Orleans Ė Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
Lets face it, the Saints secondary has sucked it up, and they still havenít found someone to play opposite of Mackenzie. Mike Jenkins is a solid player who fills a need, and in the process becomes the highest drafted player in USF history.

11. Buffalo Ė Dan Connor, LB, Penn St.
It would be nice if the Bills could give Trent Edwards another target to complement Evans, but unless they trade down, I donít see them taking a WR in the first. I was tempted to give them Connor, but they drafted Pousluzney last year. With Kenny Philips still on the board that was an interesting thought, but they need more help in stopping the run. Even though I didnít want to do it, I had to give them Connor as there are no DL on the board worthy of this pick, and by drafting Connor they can improve both their run and pass (hopefully) defenses.

12. Denver Ė Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
Denver is in an interesting dilemma, they have a system where they believe that anybody can run the ball for 1,000 yards in. However, their o-line has just not been up to it lately. Another option is Kenny Philips, and with an aging secondary, including John Lynch a year or two away from retirement, I just canít see them passing on such an exceptional talent if he actually falls this far in the draft.

13. Carolina Ė Ryan Clady, OL, Boise State
What am I supposed to do with CarolinaÖthey have problems all over the place. My first thought was to give them Malcom Kelly, as there were no defensive players worthy of this pick. With Clady falling this far it was an interesting debate, but I think that if your going to have a one player passing attack, you should at least have another option to take away the double teams from Steve Smith. Ultimately I believe that they have to settle (ha) for Clady as he solidifies an o-line that surrendered 33 sacks this last year.

14. Chicago Ė Jeff Otah, OL, Pitt
Well this sucks for Chicago. Clady almost fell into their laps, and I was really tempted to give Carolina Kelly. Now the question falls on where is the Bearís most pressing need and does the available talent match it? I donít think so, as I believe that their biggest need is a DT to replace Tank Johnson. Unless they take a flier on Frank Okam, I see this pick going to solidfy their pretty weak offense. I was tempted by Woodson here, as I donít think much of Brohm or Brennan, but I believe that Woodson is going to fall through the first, so the bears should be able to pick him up later if they are as high on him as their fans are. This may be a bit early for him, but I can easily see them taking Jeff Otah to help cut down on those 43 sacks last year. That just might fix their QB problem too.

15. Detroit Ė Antione Cason, CB, Arizona
Detroit has needs just about everywhere on the defensive side of the ball. I can also see them taking a QB to start grooming behind Kitna, as he is definitely not getting any younger (BTW Kitna, are you going to guarantee the superbowl next year?) I see them taking a CB at this spot though because that is where I believe that the value is the highest. They just happen to get the Thorpe award winner and a 4 year starter in the Pac 10.

16. Arizona Ė Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
I know that Arizona fans probably want Jonathan Stewart or Mendenhall here, but I donít see them taking a RB when I believe that Whisenhunt thinks that Edge can still be effective. I believe that Arizona has more problems on the defensive side of the ball, where all they have is Adrian Wilson. If Connor is still on the board, I can see him coming off right here. Another o-lineman to solidify their line and keep building it would be a good option, but ultimately this pick has to be a defensive one. What better way than to get a pass rusher in Harvey.

17. Minnesota Ė Reggie Smith, S, Okalahoma
Minnesota is set on their o- and d-lines. If they do have a problem, itís that they donít generate a pass rush on d, and they have an ineffective QB. I donít think they are going to give up on Jackson yet, however, I can see them addressing their pass defense with a pass rusher or a corner. I honestly donít think that Talib is worthy of this pick, so I go with Smith, who will learn under Sharper and eventually replace him.

18. Houston Ė Malcom Kelly, WR, Okalahoma
What to do with HoustonÖIím tempted to give them Stewart, but I donít think that the coaching staff down there believes in drafting a RB this high when they have a Denver state of mind where anyone can run for 1000 yards. Ultimately I believe that they give Schaub another target to go across from Johnson, and in doing so donít have to worry about him being out for over half the season.

19. Philadelphia Ė Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
Talib is an option here, but I just donít see it. I was thinking DeSean Jackson, but I believe that Philly could easily pick up a guy like Donnie Avery later on. Ultimately, I was down to Merling and Campbell. Campbell is more of a risk, but his upside is through the roof and he could easily become a pro bowler.
20. Tampa Bay Ė DeSean Jackson, WR, California
This pick was easy for me. Joey Galloway is a great receiver, but he is getting up there in years and could retire at any time. Also, Ike Hilliard is not getting any younger. In Jackson they get an explosive playmaker who will make an immediate impact returning kicks and has the ability to stretch the field.

21. Washington Ė Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
Sweed and Washington are a perfect fit. Washington needs a big WR who can go up and get jump balls. They donít need a small WR to stretch the field, they already have that. Sweed will be a perfect compliment to the receivers they already have and will be able to work out of the slot until he is fully ready.

22. Dallas Ė Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
I know that I said that I didnít think that Talib would go in the first, but Dallas is thin at corner. They do have two good ones, but the depth there is a big reason why that team didnít do so well in the playoffs. I believe that Dallas scoops him up here because they donít believe that he would make it past the teams between here and where they pick again.

23. Pittsburgh Ė Sam Baker, OL, USC
With Faneca likely gone, the Steelers could use an o-lineman to add depth, even if he returns next season. Their defense has been solid in previous years, but without Polamalu, they had some issues. I believe that they will take a S in later rounds for added depth, but in the first they have to take Baker or Cherilus. Iím leaning towards Baker. Another option here is Quentin Groves, a tweener who would be able to play either 3-4 OLB or 4-3 end, whichever Tomlin settles on. Ultimately they add depth at o-line though, especially if Faneca leaves.

24. Tennessee Ė Early Douchet, WR, LSU
Haynesworth may be leaving, Young doesnít have a good target at WR to throw to. ďPac ManĒ may never get back in the league. So many holes, so little time. Ultimately I have to think that the Titans continue their maturing process on offense by giving Vince Young a big target to throw to in Early Douchet. I was very tempted to give them Adarius Bowman, but I think that Tennessee sticks with the kid from the SEC.

25. Seattle Ė Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
First of all, even if the Seahawks canít manage to get rid of Alexander something has got to give in the running game. Stewart is a local kid with game-breaking ability and he runs hard! If Stewart is not on the board here, I am inclined to think that they still fix the problem that is their running game, but I canít see them taking Mendenhall. Cherilus would be the other option here or a playmaking TE such as Carlson or Bennett, but I suspect that at one of them will be available in the second or third rounds.

26. San Diego Ė Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
San Diego is one of those teams that has very few needs. Their defense is strong, but they do have some depth issues (except at CB). They could use another TE or WR, because until Chambers and Jackson stepped up in the playoffs, Gates was their only option. I donít think that Okam is worthy of this pick anymore, so I have to go with the big guy Kentwan Balmer to add depth to their DL and perhaps give Phillips a few plays off once in a while. Also possible: trading out of the first to get picks in the second and third, since they donít pick again until the fourth.

27. Jacksonville Ė Philip Merling, DE, Clemson
I donít even know where to start with Jacksonville. I donít believe that the talent here matches up with their needs. I wanted to give them a player in the secondary, but I just canít see the remaining S or CB being worthy of this pick. A pass rushing DE would help, but Iím not sure if Merling is worthy of this pick.

28. San Francisco Ė Gosder Cherilus, OL, Boston College
Even with SF being a division rival they baffle me. Are they going to give up on Smith? Would they take Brohm or Woodson here? If they do give up on Smith though I find it hard to see them taking either one of those guys. I think that Brennan caught Martzís eye at the senior bowl and they take a chance on him later in the draft. They have to improve their o-line since it is definitely getting older. A WR isnít out of the question, but I donít think that they go that direction in the first when they have WRís that should flourish under Martz. Another though is to go with Steve Justice, since Iím not sure how they are at center. Maybe with this pick, the line will be able to make sure Smith doesnít get his shoulder separated by a Seahawks defender on the third play was itÖ

29. Dallas Cowboys Ė Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
With Rashard Mendenhall falling this far, I canít help but give him to the Cowboys. This pick will ultimately depend on whether or not they bring back Jones. If they do, I doubt they go RB here, but I donít have them bringing back Jones.

30. Green Bay Ė Justin King, CB, Penn St.
I gave serious consideration to the cornerís available here, but I donít think that the value at corner thatís left is worthy of this pick. They may take a flier on Patrick Lee or Justin King, but I donít see that happening. Ali Highsmith was definetly worth a thought, and he would improve their already young core of LBís. Felix Jones gets a thought here because Iím not a big believer of Ryan Grantís even after he ran for 200 yards against the Seahawks. Ultimately, I have to give thim Justin King, just because he runs faster than Lee.

31. New York Giants Ė Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
The giants have needs at S, CB, and DT. Iím not quite sure that the value left on the board matches any of those positions. With Jones still on the board here, they have to be tempted to draft him, but that pick is probably not worth that when they have two RBís already who are both pretty good I canít see it happening. Is Patrick Lee or Thomas DeCeod worth this pick? I think that the best player that fits their needs is Lee, but DeCeod is right there as well. Okam is not worth this pick.

32. New England - Forfieted

DLionALL
01-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Solid Eagles pick. I doubt we'd go WR in the first round, and our next biggest needs are another DE and some depth at DB. Good job on the Eagles.

ripdw27
01-26-2008, 08:16 PM
great denver pick... woulda loved clady or otah if phillips isnt there but phillips>those 2

UK Cards Fan
01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Harvey is a decent pick for Arizona. However, the Cards can get decent pass rush from the first 4 with Okeafor returning, possibly Berry, or Antonio Smith / Calvin Pace plus Karlos Dansby and Adrian Wilson blitzing. (We are also linked with Terell Suggs which would negate Harvey.)

In the 3-4, the rush comes from Okeafor, Pace / Blackstock (If resigned), possibly Berry or Suggs as well as Dansby and Wilson blitzing.

That's pretty decent, although obviously Harvey is a good talent.

At RB, Edge is aging and has no explosion. His YPC is below average and he counts for a lot on the Salary Cap. It's also unclear how well he meshes with Whiz's system. With Stewart, there is a good, powerful young back with explosion who could possibly have a huge upgrade on the running game. Due to the lack of explosion, Edge faces 7 man fronts and Fitz / Quan can be double covered.

If we had Stewart, we could see more 8 man fronts and open things up more which is why I believe Cards fans want Stewart more.

That said, a #1 CB is the ultimate choice as we have two good #2 CBs in Eric Green and Rod Hood but both struggle against elite WRs and then we need to occasionally leave A-W back in coverage which limits our effectiveness and what we can do on defense.

defensiveback23
01-26-2008, 09:00 PM
The Chargers have good depth at DE with Cesaire and Bingham backing up Olshansky and Castillo. Both backups have been signed to long term deals recently. I don't get why everybody keeps picking Balmer for them. Gosder Cherilus or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie would be ideal. Even Rashard Mendenhall would make a good pick.

T-RICH49
01-26-2008, 09:11 PM
even if Long were on the board I think Dorsey would be a good possibly better pick

Bills2083
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Good Bills pick. I wouldn't mind Kelly there either.

GB12
01-26-2008, 09:34 PM
30. Green Bay – Justin King, CB, Penn St.
I gave serious consideration to the corner’s available here, but I don’t think that the value at corner that’s left is worthy of this pick. They may take a flier on Patrick Lee or Justin King, but I don’t see that happening.
That'a a bit contradictory.

summond822
01-26-2008, 09:51 PM
That'a a bit contradictory.

I was going through the thought process before I actually made a decision on who to put there. I did that on quite a few picks, that may be why the logic is contradictory or doesn't quite seem to make sense. Sorry if that confused you.

GB12
01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I was going through the thought process before I actually made a decision on who to put there. I did that on quite a few picks, that may be why the logic is contradictory or doesn't quite seem to make sense. Sorry if that confused you.
Ah, alright. Anyway if it was between King and Lee I'd much rather have Lee. The size is more important for us than speed. Not to mention I think King is a low second rounder at best.

summond822
01-26-2008, 09:58 PM
The Chargers have good depth at DE with Cesaire and Bingham backing up Olshansky and Castillo. Both backups have been signed to long term deals recently. I don't get why everybody keeps picking Balmer for them. Gosder Cherilus or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie would be ideal. Even Rashard Mendenhall would make a good pick.

I gave the Chargers Balmer because I figured that they could use a back up at the NT position to rotate in and out. I wasn't sure if he fit that role, but I didn't intend for him to be a DE.

I didn't even think o-line for the chargers, but I'll definately consider it in future mocks.

As for DRC, I'm really high on him, and it would be kind of cool if the Chargers had the two Cromarties on the same team, but I think that he is a fringe first rounder, depending on what he does at the combine I could see him working his way into the first round and potentially into that pick.

Mendenhall doesn't make any sense, as you have LT. Even if Micheal Turner leaves in FA, you'll have Darren Sproles. I don't see them investing a first on RB unless they don't plan on LT being around too much longer.

Vikes99ej
01-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Fantastic Vikings pick. He'll won't fix the pass defense completely, but he will help.

summond822
01-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Harvey is a decent pick for Arizona. However, the Cards can get decent pass rush from the first 4 with Okeafor returning, possibly Berry, or Antonio Smith / Calvin Pace plus Karlos Dansby and Adrian Wilson blitzing. (We are also linked with Terell Suggs which would negate Harvey.)

In the 3-4, the rush comes from Okeafor, Pace / Blackstock (If resigned), possibly Berry or Suggs as well as Dansby and Wilson blitzing.

That's pretty decent, although obviously Harvey is a good talent.

At RB, Edge is aging and has no explosion. His YPC is below average and he counts for a lot on the Salary Cap. It's also unclear how well he meshes with Whiz's system. With Stewart, there is a good, powerful young back with explosion who could possibly have a huge upgrade on the running game. Due to the lack of explosion, Edge faces 7 man fronts and Fitz / Quan can be double covered.

I honestly think that quickest fix for Arizona is to bring in a play-making LB who will constantly be around the ball ala Lofa Totupu or Patrick Willis for SEA & SF respectively. However the value on the board doesn't match up with that thought and I believe that a player who is constantly around the ball, but doesn't have the measurables will be available in the second or third rounds.

I'm trying not to focus on what may happen, Suggs is linked to quite a few teams, but if he signs with Arizona I would definitely change my pick of Harvey.

That said, a #1 CB is the ultimate choice as we have two good #2 CBs in Eric Green and Rod Hood but both struggle against elite WRs and then we need to occasionally leave A-W back in coverage which limits our effectiveness and what we can do on defense.
The CB situation, they may take Talib or whoever is left on the board if they believe that is where the value is, but from what I saw of the Cards is that they were not able to get consistent pressure.
If we had Stewart, we could see more 8 man fronts and open things up more which is why I believe Cards fans want Stewart more
I don't think that you would see 8 man fronts unless Stewart was such an explosive weapon on offense that defenses were forced to stop him. Even then, teams would not be willing to use 8 man fronts unless they were sure they could cover Fitzgerald and Boldin one on one or else they would be torn up.

I can see why Stewart is wanted, but I just didn't think that he was going to be helping Arizona as much as Harvey would. (though this hurts to admit as a Hawks fan...)

His YPC is below average and he counts for a lot on the Salary Cap.
I believe that your line is a lot of the problem. As for the salary cap, a first rounder doesn't count for a lot against it?;)

thebow305
01-26-2008, 10:25 PM
ok phins pick, as for GB though, Justin King is no where near a first rounder right now. Middle second at best for him.

summond822
01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
ok phins pick, as for GB though, Justin King is no where near a first rounder right now. Middle second at best for him.

I realized that when GB12 told me a lil earlier, but I'm trying to figure out if I should replace him with Lee or another player, as I'm not the familiar with the Packers needs.

defensiveback23
01-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I gave the Chargers Balmer because I figured that they could use a back up at the NT position to rotate in and out. I wasn't sure if he fit that role, but I didn't intend for him to be a DE.

I didn't even think o-line for the chargers, but I'll definately consider it in future mocks.

As for DRC, I'm really high on him, and it would be kind of cool if the Chargers had the two Cromarties on the same team, but I think that he is a fringe first rounder, depending on what he does at the combine I could see him working his way into the first round and potentially into that pick.

Mendenhall doesn't make any sense, as you have LT. Even if Micheal Turner leaves in FA, you'll have Darren Sproles. I don't see them investing a first on RB unless they don't plan on LT being around too much longer.

Balmer is too tall and not heavy enough to be a good NT, so he would have to play DE in the Chargers scheme.

With everything pointing toward the Chargers losing Florence in FA and Paul Oliver being potentially moved to S after not establishing himself as a legitimate nickelback replacement CB becomes a need. DRC is a perfect fit, especially if Reggie Smith is gone. He can come in and play NB right off the bat. I think it isn't a reach at all for the Chargers to select him. He has shown he can even play FS if need be.

The Chargers could use a replacement at RT for Clary. Cherilus would be a dream pick because he could really solidify that side.

Sproles is a good change of pace back but the Chargers will need a player with starting ability with MT leaving. If LT gets hurt Sproles really couldn't be the guy to count on to carry the load. The Chargers don't have any glaring needs so they can afford to make a luxury selection.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-27-2008, 01:50 AM
good Oakland pick.

The Legend
01-27-2008, 02:22 AM
30. Green Bay – Justin King, CB, Penn St.
I gave serious consideration to the corner’s available here, but I don’t think that the value at corner that’s left is worthy of this pick. They may take a flier on Patrick Lee or Justin King, but I don’t see that happening. Ali Highsmith was definetly worth a thought, and he would improve their already young core of LB’s. Felix Jones gets a thought here because I’m not a big believer of Ryan Grant’s even after he ran for 200 yards against the Seahawks. Ultimately, I have to give thim Justin King, just because he runs faster than Lee.

i would even take Black Jack with his injry over King, he cant even cover, hes better suited at WR, and retruning, also he cant bump and run, cant tackle, only reason people are crazy about him is because of his speed
thou he does have a great back pedel, hes a bust in my book, hes gonna be like devin hester they will see hes not a good corner and move him to WR which he played at pen state in there FAB 5, thou hes a good returner which he will be drafted on

and on Another note Lee would fit the packers system way way way better
tall strong fast god tackle tech hes a monster so underrated i would take Lee in the 1st round but they guy may even fall to the 3rd so theres no point with nothing but a great Combine

i love the kid personal, also i thought DRC thought he couldnt bump and run but he did a great job at SB game, amazing leaping skills and hands didnt see him tackle which i would like to more on could find any highlights on him

KCJ58
01-27-2008, 02:53 AM
if Chris Long is off the board give us Gholston (he can play DE)

WMD
01-27-2008, 03:06 AM
15. Detroit Ė Antione Cason, CB, Arizona
Detroit has needs just about everywhere on the defensive side of the ball. I can also see them taking a QB to start grooming behind Kitna, as he is definitely not getting any younger (BTW Kitna, are you going to guarantee the superbowl next year?) I see them taking a CB at this spot though because that is where I believe that the value is the highest. They just happen to get the Thorpe award winner and a 4 year starter in the Pac 10.

Eh, I don't like the pick.. I don't like Cornerback to the Lions in Round 1. A pass rush would help us out a lot more... Our Defensive scheme doesn't rely on Top flight CB's as much as it does a great pass rush, which we don't have.

By the way, we have a QB Grooming behind Kitna named Drew Stanton.. Round 2 pick last year.

Jensen
01-27-2008, 03:33 AM
The Cardinals have two guys on defense named Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby...they are beasts incase you didn't know.

Harvey is an alright pick, I would rather see Stewart there though. I really think Stewart will be a great NFL RB, and Edge is not getting any younger. Stewart would get some good experience playing alongside Edge in a two-back system which I'm sure Whiz would love.

The Legend
01-27-2008, 03:59 AM
The Cardinals have two guys on defense named Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby...they are beasts incase you didn't know.

Harvey is an alright pick, I would rather see Stewart there though. I really think Stewart will be a great NFL RB, and Edge is not getting any younger. Stewart would get some good experience playing alongside Edge in a two-back system which I'm sure Whiz would love.

really i lost love for Darnell Dockett this year because he didnt get a pick BOOOOOOOOOOO lol
9 sacks like that matters making the pro bowl like that matters

summond822
01-27-2008, 02:11 PM

I agree that Stewart is probably going to be a great RB, and I can see why you are in favor of a two-back system. I'll definately take that into consideration in future mocks or an update on this one.

I still think that the cardinals need a good/great LB to be one of the leaders on that team, because when Adrian Wilson went down they stopped doing as well (he's a S I know). I figured that giving them Harvey would give them another force on the defense to deal with.

summond822
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Eh, I don't like the pick.. I don't like Cornerback to the Lions in Round 1. A pass rush would help us out a lot more... Our Defensive scheme doesn't rely on Top flight CB's as much as it does a great pass rush, which we don't have.

By the way, we have a QB Grooming behind Kitna named Drew Stanton.. Round 2 pick last year.

Sorry, I wasn't quite sure where to best help the Lions on defense. So, you think a pass rusher would be of more use than a corner? I can understand that. Who would you suggest there? Harvey or Campbell? I really have no idea where the Lions biggest needs are...though I wouldn't be surprised to see them go WR in the first again...:eek: jk

Thunder&Lightning
01-28-2008, 08:42 AM

agreed 100% at first i was a balmer fan but now IMO i think they should go with cherilus or cromartie...hopefully cromartie

fenikz
01-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Your explaination for the Cardinals is stupid but it's a good pick

Our entire defense is solid the only spots that we need to improve on are a pass rushing DE/OLB(Harvey) and a man to man CB

Elite
Dansby
Wilson
Dockett

Becoming Elite
Hayes
Pace
Smith
Watson
Hood

Lots of Potential
Rolle
Green
Branch

rockio42
01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
As a rams fan, Jake Long is my second pick behind Gholston, mainly because Pace plans on returning and we can still get a great tackle in someone like Chris Williams or Sam Baker in the second. And btw what is the point in playing him at right tackle...ill admit that Alex Barron hasnt been that great but he isnt the answer at any other position at right tackle and I think he showed promise later in the year while playing on the left side

Jay
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
7. New England Ė Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
This pick got a lot tougher when Laurinitis didnít declare for the draft. I donít see the Patriots hanging onto this pick, but since Iím not projecting trades I had to give them a CB as there is no way that the Patriots retain Samuel and they have little depth at that position. I debated McKelvin, Cason, and Jenkins here. None of them have the ball skills of Samuel, so they may address their depth with more than one pick in the secondary later on and I can see them taking a player like Chevis Jackson later on, but for the moment, I have to think that McKelvin is the pick.

Why is there no way the Patriots resign Samuel? They paid him as the average of the top 5 DB's in the NFL this year, a long term deal is actually more cap friendly. This notion that everyone seems to have is pretty ridiculous. I don't hate the Pats taking a corner at #7, but I do hate the reasoning being that it is a need. The Pats have established that they don't draft for need.

Dr. Gonzo
01-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Excellent Vikings pick. I am happy that I didn't have to see another mock with us going WR, because I just can't see that happening.

jdb1972
01-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Clady's a great pick for Carolina at that spot... but I doubt he falls that far.

summond822
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Why is there no way the Patriots resign Samuel? They paid him as the average of the top 5 DB's in the NFL this year, a long term deal is actually more cap friendly. This notion that everyone seems to have is pretty ridiculous. I don't hate the Pats taking a corner at #7, but I do hate the reasoning being that it is a need. The Pats have established that they don't draft for need.

It's just not their style. Look what they did with Deion Branch a couple years ago. Do you really see them dishing out Clement-like money for Samuel? Even if they retain Samuel I see them going corner there as I believe that McKelvin is going to keep going up draft boards and even if they don't draft for need I can see him going there. However he addresses shall we say...a want for now.

Also, they agreed not to franchise him, so if another team offers more money I'm pretty sure he's gone.

summond822
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
As a rams fan, Jake Long is my second pick behind Gholston, mainly because Pace plans on returning and we can still get a great tackle in someone like Chris Williams or Sam Baker in the second. And btw what is the point in playing him at right tackle...ill admit that Alex Barron hasnt been that great but he isnt the answer at any other position at right tackle and I think he showed promise later in the year while playing on the left side

The reason that I have long there is that I believe that Pace is probably going to get injured again next season. The rams have to take into account that he has been injured for the last two seasons, which they probably will, and see that drafting an eventual replacement of Long's caliber could be better. Plus, Long would be able to replace Barron for now and likely be an upgrade, therefore leading to less sacks on Bulger and perhaps better health for him and Jackson. Williams and Baker are good players, but I can actually see one or both of them going in the first.

Of course, I can understand the want of Ghoulston as he gives you a rusher off the edge and lets you guys put Carriker back inside where he is better suited.

summond822
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Your explaination for the Cardinals is stupid but it's a good pick

Our entire defense is solid the only spots that we need to improve on are a pass rushing DE/OLB(Harvey) and a man to man CB

I'm sorry if my explanation is stupid but you have to realize that the only time I get to see Arizona is when the Seahawks play them. From what I've seen they are not a very good defense when they don't have Adrian Wilson. Getting Harvey enables them to get consistent pass rush.

Proof of that is the first time that the Seahawks played them this season they lost 20-23. Arizona had Adrian Wilson
Second time, Seahawks won 42-21. Arizona didn't have Adrian Wilson. So I hope you'll forgive me for assuming that you didn't have a pass rush the second game or a very good defense.

Here are some more stats from comparing the two games:
Sacks:
1st: 1
2nd: 1
Average Yards Per Play (SEA):
1st: 6.1
2nd: 5.3
Total Yards:
1st: 370
2nd: 355
Time of Possession:
1st: 27:54
2nd: 30:37
Hasslebeck Yards-TD/INT:
1st: 281 - 1/0
2nd: 272 - 4/0

Now, seeing that the only major difference in the stats is TD's, I hope you'll understand how I came to the conclusion that your defense is really centered around Adrian Wilson and how important he is to your pass defense. Something a pass rusher like Harvey would probably be able to rectify. Sorry if this doesn't help clear up my reasoning any better...

Brsch57
01-28-2008, 09:06 PM
nice moc i need to make one soon.

asmitty45
01-28-2008, 09:18 PM
dont like cason in the first.

Jay
01-29-2008, 06:44 AM
It's just not their style. Look what they did with Deion Branch a couple years ago. Do you really see them dishing out Clement-like money for Samuel? Even if they retain Samuel I see them going corner there as I believe that McKelvin is going to keep going up draft boards and even if they don't draft for need I can see him going there. However he addresses shall we say...a want for now.

Also, they agreed not to franchise him, so if another team offers more money I'm pretty sure he's gone.

They let Deion Branch go to free agency and let him walk away? That's funny, because I remember them trading him for the #28 pick in last years draft, which they then turned into the #7 pick in this years draft.

I'm not saying they will definitely resign him, but to assume it is a foregone conclusion is dumb. They will more than likely SAVE money on a long term deal. Their way of doing things is to not go into a long term deal until they HAVE to. For two years now, Asante has been paid as one of the top 3 corners in the league. The cap room is already there.

They are not going to take a corner at 7 unless that player is the best player available. Period. They've had worse situations at the corner position before and never reached for one. So unless it is going to be Ty Law all over again, I don't see it happening.

luckyjackaubrey
01-29-2008, 07:18 AM
The Patriots have a rep for letting players go when they ask for the big bucks. This is truly a falacy. They do a great job of seperating the who from the what. THat is , in the case of Deon Branch, for example, the team, system, quarterback were the reasons he performed as well as he did, and he was not worth big money. They made the right decision there. With Brady, they moved early and recognized he was the real deal and gave him big money.

I think the Patriots have seen that Samuel has developed into the real deal. I hope they are able to reach an agreement with him to remain in NE. He needs to remember that he was a 4th round pick for a reason. The coaches in NE helped make him what he is now, he could have very easily been a backup for a few years and out of the leaque or bouncing around from team to team. I think both sides need to see the value each brings to the other and continue the relationship. I think back to David Givens, a favorite of mine, who left for big Money and his career is in jeopardy now.

DiG
01-29-2008, 07:58 AM
really dislike the sweed to washington pick. kelly is really the only wr that i feel is worth it there. after him the next tier of tall receivers is all too close and can be had in rd 2 if the skins feel that is necessary. cb or de is the better way to go.

summond822
01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
They let Deion Branch go to free agency and let him walk away? That's funny, because I remember them trading him for the #28 pick in last years draft, which they then turned into the #7 pick in this years draft.

I'm not saying they will definitely resign him, but to assume it is a foregone conclusion is dumb. They will more than likely SAVE money on a long term deal. Their way of doing things is to not go into a long term deal until they HAVE to. For two years now, Asante has been paid as one of the top 3 corners in the league. The cap room is already there.

They are not going to take a corner at 7 unless that player is the best player available. Period. They've had worse situations at the corner position before and never reached for one. So unless it is going to be Ty Law all over again, I don't see it happening.

Deion Branch held out for a long term contract, much like Samuel did this year. The difference is that they traded him before he reached the market thus, providing themselves with a future first rounder...which confuses me since they got moss for a 4th...(How is that possible?)

Since you don't see them taking a corner, who do you see them taking. I understand the belief that the pats pick BPA but truly no team has that luxury and all of their picks are designed to benefit them in the future, especially when it comes to a first rounder that is expected to perform in relatively short amount of time. At 7, they are going to have to draft a player that they believe will be able to make an impact in a couple years, and who better than a CB like McKelvin?

I believe that if like you say, they draft BPA, they will trade out of 7 for the sole reason of not wanting to spend that type of money.

I like them taking Chevis Jackson later in the draft as he seems the type of player that would fit well into their system.

Could you perhaps help me by making an alternate suggestion there, since I lack experience in mocks.

summond822
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
really dislike the sweed to washington pick. kelly is really the only wr that i feel is worth it there. after him the next tier of tall receivers is all too close and can be had in rd 2 if the skins feel that is necessary. cb or de is the better way to go.

I just figured that he would be the best fit with the premier pass rushers off the board. Who would you suggest there in that case? I don't think that the skins would reach for the CB or DE talent there, so Sweed made the most sense to me at the time.

ABWA757
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Good bills pic... nice explaination.