PDA

View Full Version : Thuley's Mock Draft 2.0 (Trades)

thule
01-27-2008, 04:35 AM
01. Miami - Chris Long, DE/OLB, Virginia
Looking at Parcells to go with a slight surprise here...probably doesn't have the value to go first overall in a 2-gap scheme as a downlineman...but with Parcells successful conversion of Greg Ellis to SOLB he takes a chance in a guy who is athletic enough to make the transition. I think Parcells looks to move out hard…but no buyers cause him to go with his guy.

02. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
STL could probably go a different direction here...but Dorsey is too good of value to pass up.

03. Oakland - Trade
Oakland is a hard pick to peg...this is probably just a bit to high for Ellis and McFadden is my #1 prospect. Even with the emergence of Fargas find it hard to believe you can pass on a runner like McFadden. But after all that thought I think Oakland and “their new leader” might just look to add a couple more pieces…so they go looking for a trade.

Trade****
Oakland gets: #5 and #59 and a 2nd day pick along with future 2nd
Kansas City gets: #3

03. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Long is a bit underrated but is the perfect fit for the Chiefs, my only concern is what happens with a new OL coach coming in scheme wise. Kansas City moves up to jump Atlanta who might just take their guy.

04. Atlanta – Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
Ellis might just be too good of a UT to pass on. While I don’t think that UT is as big of a need as OL or QB I think that DL talent is recent years have proved to trump the afore mentioned. With a new organization set up and Mike Smith being a firm believer in interior DL shutting down the run this pick just makes too much sense…Ellis only proved his stock as a top 5 pick in the senior bowl and hold enough value here to go top 5. With Long off the board I think this pick is a little easier…McFadden is tempting…but there are bigger needs to address.

05. Oakland - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Oakland moves down and picks up a couple more picks to address some defensive needs…but McFadden this late is just too good to pass on. McFadden can give the offense a dynamic playmaker who can take the game-planning to the next step and make the QB job easier.

06. New York Jets - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
The Jets luck out a bit and get a edge rusher out of the top 5. Gholston can be "that guy" in the 3-4 for them.

07. New England (from San Francisco) - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
Big projection here...but come post combine/pro-day I think we'll all have McKelvin in out top 10's. He just has that rare combination of speed to mix with decent size and good run support.

08. Baltimore - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
Baltimore probably has more pressing needs...but the top QB on the board and a new coach coming in probably wants to get his guy.

09. Cincinnati – Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
Cincinnati has failed to establish an identity in their front seven for as long as I can remember…and they’ve gone heavy into the secondary the past couple of drafts….time to add a big time player to their front seven. Smith is a nice guy on the edge…but they could use a guy that can make plays sideline to sideline…Rivers falls into that category. I’m not sure Rivers warrants the 9th pick at this point…but he isn’t far off of a prospect as Ernie Sims was…so with a good showing at the combine and his great senior bowl…top 10 might not be that hard to believe.

10. New Orleans - Trade
Another year New Orleans misses out on a top LB in the first round...not that there is any value here in the first place but corner value here is really solid...Jenkins might be hard to let pass…but lets not forget that Young was brought in last year and McKensie played as well last year as he ever has... so I think the Saints look for a buyer here.
Trade*****
New Orleans gets: #16 #80 and Future 3rd
Arizona gets: #10
10. Arizona - Mike Jenkins, CB, USF
Arizona moves up to get arguably the top corner in this draft at pick 10…that alone is a steal in this class. But with the rumors of Rolle moving to FS…CB is just too big of a need to look anywhere else. The need and value is just too much to pass on here.

11. Buffalo - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
Might be a little high for Talib...but if he does run a sub 4.45 like the rumors say I think top 15 isn't a huge reach with his size...a great fit in the cover 2 here.

12. Denver - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
I was tempted to go a couple of different positions here...but Phillips just has too high of a ceiling for Denver to pass on.

13. Carolina – Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
Carolina has so much talent on the DL yet they still can’t perform. They really could use someone who could occasionally give Peppers a few one on one looks…and Harvey might be the best pure rusher in the class. Harvey’s stock looks to be on the rise and top 15 doesn’t look like a reach much anymore. Harvey would sit nice on the DL opposite of Peppers and solve that revolving hole that seems to be the RDE spot every year.

14. Chicago – Jeffrey Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
Now I’m not sure that I buy Otah going over Clady on draft day but Otah has the mean streak that seems to run in Chicago for offensive-lineman. Otah is a huge bear and would be able to step in day one on the right side….plus he still has the athletic ability to be worked in as the LT of the future which is probably what trumps this pick. Otah isn’t being talked about a lot right now but he just screams Chicago lineman to me.

15. Detroit – Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
This pick is simple….and they lucked out big time…Clady is a top shelf LT prospect and the only reason he falls this far is due to need/fit. Not much more to explain but if Clady is on the board on draft day I think it’s safe to say this pick is a lock.

16. New Orleans – Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
After passing on top LB’s seemingly year after year…they are about in the perfect position to land Connor. Connor might be a slight reach here…but on the field he’ll warrant this selection…Connor is a guy who can instantly come in and be a leader on this defense.

17. Minnesota - Christopher Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
Bit of a surprise to me...But Williams might just be the answer on the right side...although the right side of the line slowly improved towards the end of the year...Williams just has too much talent to pass.

18. Houston - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
Orginially I had Baker going here...but the running game cost this team a playoff chance along with some injuries...Mendenhall is rated as my 2nd back...and really think he can be a big time NFL back..so while the system believes backs can be found later the value is just too good here.

19. Philadelphia - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
OL was a thought here but just didn't see the match since it's somewhat depleted. Kelly could probably step on the field right away and give McNabb a target who can seperate from coverage...TE was also a slight thought.

20. Tampa Bay - DeSean Jackson, WR, California
I really don't see Jackson falling this far in the draft...post workouts I look for him to be a top 15 lock...but with the slight weight concerns...and the disappointing senior campaign maybe this is about the right position for him.

21. Washington - Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
This pick is hard to peg since no coach is set…but with the rumors speculating and pointing to Sprags…Merling just makes too much sense here. Merling could be the top DE in this draft…but probably should have stayed another year which could have put him in contention for a top 10 selection. Merling could go top 10 this year with solid workouts…but I think this is where he ends up.

22. Dallas (from Cleveland) - Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State University
Talk about a guy who helped himself at the senior bowl…DRC came in with some concerns and shattered them all….while his stock probably isn’t this high yet….don’t forget that DRC is also a track star and will only impress more as offseason workouts go on. While DRC probably isn’t as highly touted as guys like Lee or Porter, DRC seems like an ideal fit in Phillip’s scheme and pick makes a lot of sense.

23. Pittsburgh – TRADE
This is a team the could go a couple different directions but I think that OL is probably the biggest need and no value is really here….so they look for a trade partner.
TRADE***
Pitssburgh gets: #31, #95, future 3rd
New York Giants gets: 23
23. New York Giants – Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana
Porter is a guy who I think many of you will be surprised to see this high right now…but Porter is silky smooth and his stock is slowly rising…by draft day this may be too low to get him…but Porter is probably rated as the 3rd CB in the draft right now..and getting him this late in the first is a steal. While CB probably isn’t the biggest need…it has huge depth concerns…and who knows if Webster plans on coming back to earth..bottomline is Porter is going to hold tons of value here and is worth the move.

24. Tennessee – Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
A bit of a shocker here…but WR/TE depth is good in this draft…and there really isn’t any value here in my view. Lee is another guy who seems to be going under the radar…he opened some eyes at the senior bowl and covered everyone he went up against…with good workouts…top 25 isn’t out of the picture…and with the rumors speculating around Pacman insurance policy may be necessary.

25. Seattle - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
Not sure if I can buy RB over TE...but it seems every year I address the TE position and every year it stays the same...Stewart would thrive in Seattle and already has the fan base.

26. Jacksonville – Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
This is a hard one to peg…and I’m not sure if I buy Campbell as a first round pick right now…but this might be a classic case of upside outweighing value. Mike Smith departing might be something to look into…but another young WR doesn’t look to solve anything and really no value here as of now.

27. San Diego – Gosder Cherilus, RT, Boston College
I’m not sure I like the pick…and think that Reggie Smith might be the better pick..but just can’t justify going secondary this early yet again. Florence leaving is going to hurt…but with no more picks on the first day…the OT depth drop off is just too big to miss out on.

28. Dallas – TRADE
Not sure I buy Dallas going RB this early with the rumors that MB3 is going to be getting a 30 million dollar contract..and WR value is still weak here…I think they look to trade down.
Trade***
Dallas gets: #33, #65, future 4th
Miami gets: #28, Bobby Carpenter, Jason Ferguson
28. Miami - Sam Baker, OT, USC
Miami gets a slight steal here...this pick reminds me a lot of Jacob Rogers from USC back when Parcells was with the cowboys..a guy who should probably go in the top 20 falls out…now Parcells hardly ever moves up on draft day…but attaining a ILB and starting NT might just be enough to bring up the move…not to mention the steelers sitting in front of them with a need for a OT. Now Baker isn’t an elite talent..but he can step in immediately and give a reliable LT to protect whoever is QB’ing opening day…Baker has bloodlines which is something else Parcells seems to like.

29. San Francisco (from Indianapolis) – Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida
After the senior bowl I find it hard to believe any WR proved more to Nolan and Martz than Caldwell. Caldwell was the best south WR all week and really shined. Caldwell probably isn’t quite a first round talent…but the ties and strong postseason workouts could put him right about here on value…I just about went Doucet here..but those injury concerns are hard to ignore.

30. Green Bay – Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
Godfrey is yet another guy who boosted his stock at the senior bowl. Godfrey’s stock is rising and with rumored 4.3 speed could see the first round. He is a physical pac-10 guy that might just be enough to make the packers jump.

31. Pittsburgh – Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska
This pick might cause a couple people to scratch their head…but OT is a big need for the steelers..and could be the reason for the downfall down the stretch with injuries…Starks is up for FA and Nicks could probably step up and play LT right away...and play right side if needed.

UK Cards Fan
01-27-2008, 04:50 AM
Can't argue with the trade for the Cards but where is Jonathan Stewart? I have to believe that a team would trade up for him in the late first, although I see you missed Seattle - was he going to go there?

If not, I could easily see the Cards doing a Jets and giving up a lot for Jenkins and Stewart. That would really be an outstanding draft.

thule
01-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Can't argue with the trade for the Cards but where is Jonathan Stewart? I have to believe that a team would trade up for him in the late first, although I see you missed Seattle - was he going to go there?

If not, I could easily see the Cards doing a Jets and giving up a lot for Jenkins and Stewart. That would really be an outstanding draft.

oops nice catch...yup he went to seattle.

Addict
01-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Thule don't you think there's a few too many corners going in the first? I agree there's a talented DB class in this draft but seven corners (and one safety, making a total of eight defensive backs) in the first round seems a bit unlikely. I do like the lions pick.

BmoreBlackByrdz
01-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Meh, Im not liking the Ravens pick but Its very posssible that is who we will pick if Harbaugh isnt willing to give Troy a chance, but I would rather see us going for a DE like Campbell or Gholston or a Ot like Ryan Clady

thebow305
01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
ok phins pick

T-RICH49
01-27-2008, 09:03 AM
KC will NEVER make a trade with Oakland and Long is not worth gving up that much for anyway

Xiomera
01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
15. Detroit – Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
This pick is simple….and they lucked out big time…Clady is a top shelf LT prospect and the only reason he falls this far is due to need/fit. Not much more to explain but if Clady is on the board on draft day I think it’s safe to say this pick is a lock.

I support this pick personally, but I don't think the Lions will take an OT come draft day. I think they are going to re-sign Damien Woody to play RT, and they will look to add to the offensive line later in the draft. I think our 1st rounder will be a defensive player. But with the way the draft fell in this mock, Clady would be the best pick, IMO.

Ewing
01-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Absolutely terrible. I don't know many times I've had to say it: the current group of targets Vince has to throw to is the worst in the league; anything other than a wide receiver or a tight end in the first round is completely 100 percent illogical.

Bills2083
01-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I like Talib. I wouldnt mind Kelly or Connor there either.

Thunder&Lightning
01-27-2008, 11:33 AM
i like the SD pick

hugegmenfan
01-27-2008, 12:25 PM
terrible giants trade...also no way porter at this point is worth the 20th pick in the draft
id much rather take reggie smith or even rodgers-cromartie @ 31

GB12
01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
30. Green Bay – Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
Godfrey is yet another guy who boosted his stock at the senior bowl. Godfrey’s stock is rising and with rumored 4.3 speed could see the first round. He is a physical pac-10 guy that might just be enough to make the packers jump.

Big Ten ;)

Good pick though.

Jay
01-27-2008, 12:31 PM
The more I think about it, the more I hate any corner going #7. There is not a single corner in this draft worthy of being a top 10 pick, let alone #7.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Ellis would be a NT for us.

Vikes99ej
01-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Good Vikings pick. He'll definitely be a better pass-blocker than Ryan Cook.

Yung Flippa
01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Give the Ravens Mike Jenkins, good Texans pick.

G-Men88
01-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I like Tracy Porter, but he can be had at 31, there is absolutely no need to trade up here. Keep the Giants at 31 and the pick would be Reggie Smith

Rich Jr
01-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I like the pick but I found this extremely funny.

Another year New Orleans misses out on a top LB in the first round

16. New Orleans – Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

bolts2388
01-27-2008, 01:53 PM
I kinda like the pick its ok with me

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-27-2008, 02:13 PM
KC will NEVER make a trade with Oakland and Long is not worth gving up that much for anyway
I have to agree with this guy.I dont see that trade happening.

LonghornsLegend
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Absolutely terrible. I don't know many times I've had to say it: the current group of targets Vince has to throw to is the worst in the league; anything other than a wide receiver or a tight end in the first round is completely 100 percent illogical.

Just because you feel so strongly doesnt mean the front office will, I could easily see Tennessee going defense in the 1st rd as well, because Fisher builds his teams around defense and the running game...you act like if a wr isnt taken in the 1st round he wont amount to anything, because im sure you wouldnt love to have greg jennings, sidney rice, or brandon marshall...wr will probably be addressed, but its no need to act like if you dont get a round 1 wr anyone else wont end up being good...alot of round 1 wrs dont end up being anything while other first day picks have, not only that, if the titans see wrs on the board in rd 1, and one of the guys they really want/like will be there in the 2nd where the value is better, they WILL go defense first and get the guy they still wanted at wr, you dont know how those war rooms go I guess because teams arent just grabbing guys because they play a certain position

Besides Vince isnt the type of guy where you need to go get Boldin and Fitzgerald around him with, he isnt even that type of qb...get a tight end that catches everything and is a big/fast target, 2 backs to keep the chains moving, and Fisher will find athletes to play at wr to come up with plays, and there will be plenty wrs to go around in the 2nd rd...your team would of been alot worse had Fisher taken Meachem instead of Griffin last year when everyone was crying for a wr, but how quickly people forget

thule
01-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Meh, Im not liking the Ravens pick but Its very posssible that is who we will pick if Harbaugh isnt willing to give Troy a chance, but I would rather see us going for a DE like Campbell or Gholston or a Ot like Ryan Clady

Sometimes I think the new coach just wants "his guy" which is why I elected to go Ryan there...as far as DE goes...I think it's a noticeable hole...but the Ravens frachise could still bring Suggs back. Campbelll is no where near top 10 value anymore...and I just can't buy OT when you went that direction in the supplemental.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Divisional trades do happen...you can just look at last year when Dallas traded up with Philly to land Spencer.

And is it really that much to secure the consensus top OT on the board? Do you really consider Clady a top 5 pick?...this is a guy who had an extremely down first half of the year in college....I don't think he has erased enough concerns about his game to go this high...so while I think that the value between the two is close...Long is simply in a tier by himself...not to mention he is probably one of the more NFL ready players in this draft...which can help a relatively young team compete faster.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I support this pick personally, but I don't think the Lions will take an OT come draft day. I think they are going to re-sign Damien Woody to play RT, and they will look to add to the offensive line later in the draft. I think our 1st rounder will be a defensive player. But with the way the draft fell in this mock, Clady would be the best pick, IMO.

I agree and in my past mock I had Harvey slated there...but Clady might just be too top shelf LT prospect there to pass on...now while he may not be the definition of NFL ready...his ceiling is just to much to pass up on here.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:17 PM

I knew this was coming.

But I'm sorry teams don't reach for need...do the titans have a history of doing this? I mean wasn't WR just as big of a need last year and you guys drafted a guy who didn't even start half the year?

I said it was a big need in my description...but I had Sweed there last draft and don't think he has done anything to deserve being drafted that high so he dropped...I really don't see the fit....if I had to give you guys a target...I might just go Cottam there...and although that seems high I like the fit...but the value just isn't there right now.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I like Talib. I wouldnt mind Kelly or Connor there either.

Ya both were heavy thoughts, but in the end I don't think either player warranted this selection value wise.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:19 PM
i like the SD pick

Yah, I went away from my Mayo pick which I love but a mammoth RT here is something that you won't find later...and with no other holes really I had to go here...I still think CB is a dark horse here tho.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:22 PM
terrible giants trade...also no way porter at this point is worth the 20th pick in the draft
id much rather take reggie smith or even rodgers-cromartie @ 31

Well I guess that just comes down to a difference of opinions.

Like I said a lot of people around here are sleeping on Porter...his stock has never been higher and is only going to improve in his workouts because of how athletic he is. Reggie Smith isn't even in Porters tier right now....DRC is definately a thought...but you guys went Ross last year I think Porter is the better compliment...not to mention Porter is probably the overall safer pick.

And is it really that terrible of a trade....if you don't make the move here you lose out on a top tier CB and are now fishing out of the 2nd tier...I think your drastically under-estimating Porters talent/stock and on draft day you'll be surprised with how high porter goes.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Big Ten ;)

Good pick though.

lol bad case of mis-typing...and late night sleepiness.

I'm not sure if I buy Godfrey's stock in the first round right now...but this team doesn't have a lot of other directions to go...Terrell Thomas might be another guy to keep a eye on here with a good post-season workout he might carry move value around the board...but for now I go with the local product.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:26 PM
The more I think about it, the more I hate any corner going #7. There is not a single corner in this draft worthy of being a top 10 pick, let alone #7.

Not yet...

Watch out...McKelvin answered a lot of questions down in Mobile and if he tests as athletic as we've been hearing about it could be close to a lock on draft day that he goes #1 overall.

Trading down was definately a thought...but I don't really see anyone who would be buying to move up....Carolina was a thought for Ryan..but I can't help but think they see a little something in Moore...thats the problem picking here this draft...talent level seems to even out over the next 15 or so picks...so moving around becomes more position orientated rather than player orientated.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Ellis would be a NT for us.

With the added beef on his frame I don't have a huge problem with that...but I remember Mike Smith running some kinky formations with his DT so I'm not really familiar to say which guy was which...but something I noticed is that he liked to run his NT at a 45 degree angle of the defensive line...that to me would be a waste of Ellis's first step...but like you said...you guys have a hole at NT so it's probably where he'll end up...gives more thought to the pick.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Good Vikings pick. He'll definitely be a better pass-blocker than Ryan Cook.

Ya, this pick has a lot to like...and living in vikings country I know way more about the vikes than I wish I did. I just don't think you can ignore that right side of the line anymore....it seems to be a rotating door. I still think Williams becomes the long term answer on the left side in the future.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Give the Ravens Mike Jenkins, good Texans pick.

As I stated earlier...a new coach tends to bring in "his guy" and while Jenkins is a nice fit and would add some needed youth to the CB group a QB is essential to the franchise...so unless information comes out about him liking his QB group he has now I don't think this pick is going to change.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:34 PM
I like Tracy Porter, but he can be had at 31, there is absolutely no need to trade up here. Keep the Giants at 31 and the pick would be Reggie Smith

Once again you guys are under-estimating the stock of Porter right now....he is simply in that first tier of corners and Reggie Smith is not....Smith isn't even a lock to play CB in the pro's....whispers about if he is athletic enough to play on the outside are starting to come around....I think he is a higher risk than people around here are thinking...not to mention he will have to test out really well to make a mark in the first round...which I dont' think he has a chance to do. Porter will not be on the board at 31 imo...and that is why you guys made the move.

thule
01-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I like the pick but I found this extremely funny.

Ooopps...nice catch I was busy updating off the basic setup from my last mock and some of the wording stayed the same...I'll make sure to change it so it makes more sense. I think if that trade happens and connor is on the board the pick makes a lot of sense...this is a team that might be in a perfect spot to trade down with Jenkins still on the board.

Ewing
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
I knew this was coming.

But I'm sorry teams don't reach for need...do the titans have a history of doing this? I mean wasn't WR just as big of a need last year and you guys drafted a guy who didn't even start half the year?

I said it was a big need in my description...but I had Sweed there last draft and don't think he has done anything to deserve being drafted that high so he dropped...I really don't see the fit....if I had to give you guys a target...I might just go Cottam there...and although that seems high I like the fit...but the value just isn't there right now.

Yeah, we drafted a free safety because we needed one. LaMont Thompson was by far our worst starting player and although I wanted a wide receiver, I was very happy with the Griffin pick. He had three picks and forced a fumble that put us in the playoffs.

This year, our biggest need is BY FAR targets for Vince. Did you watch the Monday Night game against Denver? Our group of failures that we call wide receivers cost us the game. In the first round with Kelly and Jackson off the board, the best option would be either James Hardy(huge redzone threat, which we really need) or a tight end like Fred Davis, Martin Rucker or Martellus Bennett(all three are interchangeable). Corner is a need but I think it would be foolish to address it in the first round.

thule
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, we drafted a free safety because we needed one. LaMont Thompson was by far our worst starting player and although I wanted a wide receiver, I was very happy with the Griffin pick. He had three picks and forced a fumble that put us in the playoffs.

This year, our biggest need is BY FAR targets for Vince. Did you watch the Monday Night game against Denver? Our group of failures that we call wide receivers cost us the game. In the first round with Kelly and Jackson off the board, the best option would be either James Hardy(huge redzone threat, which we really need) or a tight end like Fred Davis, Martin Rucker or Martellus Bennett(all three are interchangeable). Corner is a need but I think it would be foolish to address it in the first round.

I just don't see the value here...but rumors around davis right now that he might be sniffing the 1st round...if he maintains this steam and keeps on moving up...he might trump the pick...but as of right now until I see someone who warrants the selection I'm not going to change it...Hardy was a thought of mine...but I don't see him rising much higher than he already is...the character concerns are going to be the biggest factor.

ripdw27
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
great denver pick.. only think i find questionable is the oakland/kc trade.. (divison rivals) if you take out that factor though great mock

Seasonticketholder
01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Horrible pick for New Orleans. Connor is not fluid and plays stiff. I do not like him at that spot and would gladly take Cromartie if we were to trade down to #16.

G-Men88
01-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Once again you guys are under-estimating the stock of Porter right now....he is simply in that first tier of corners and Reggie Smith is not....Smith isn't even a lock to play CB in the pro's....whispers about if he is athletic enough to play on the outside are starting to come around....I think he is a higher risk than people around here are thinking...not to mention he will have to test out really well to make a mark in the first round...which I dont' think he has a chance to do. Porter will not be on the board at 31 imo...and that is why you guys made the move.

Saftey is just as big a need as CB if not more of a need. That is why Reggie Smith and DRC are better for the Giants than Tracy Porter because both of them can play Saftey or Corner so the Giants can have the advantage of trying one of them out at both positions.

thule
01-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Saftey is just as big a need as CB if not more of a need. That is why Reggie Smith and DRC are better for the Giants than Tracy Porter because both of them can play Saftey or Corner so the Giants can have the advantage of trying one of them out at both positions.

You draft a guy to play "one" position....you don't draft a guy and switch him back and forth that only slows the progession to the NFL game...think about the transition to the NFL...how big of a step and how much the speed of the game increases...now maybe if you want to shift a CB back to FS in a nickel or dime package it would be do able...but you don't draft a player because he can play two positions...because lets face it noone can play two positions at the same time...so you take the player who can help you the most at that position...having him switch if he can't play one is the exception.

thule
01-28-2008, 12:40 AM
great denver pick.. only think i find questionable is the oakland/kc trade.. (divison rivals) if you take out that factor though great mock

divisional trades aren't out of the ordinary...hell it happened just last year in the first round with dallas and philly.

thule
01-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Horrible pick for New Orleans. Connor is not fluid and plays stiff. I do not like him at that spot and would gladly take Cromartie if we were to trade down to #16.

I guess every draft analyst doesn't know what they are talking about either since he is reguarded by almost expert as the consensus #2 LB in this draft...but what do they know...your obviously a better evaluator of talent.

Caddy
01-28-2008, 06:29 AM
BIG fan of the Bucs pick.

asmitty45
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Love Clady, he would be my dream pick. Although Woody is probably staying so that need will be out the door. If not clady then I like jonathon stewart>mendenhall.

also, I really dont think AZ will have to jump ATL to get Jake Long. Just me.

G-Men88
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
You draft a guy to play "one" position....you don't draft a guy and switch him back and forth that only slows the progession to the NFL game...think about the transition to the NFL...how big of a step and how much the speed of the game increases...now maybe if you want to shift a CB back to FS in a nickel or dime package it would be do able...but you don't draft a player because he can play two positions...because lets face it noone can play two positions at the same time...so you take the player who can help you the most at that position...having him switch if he can't play one is the exception.

I'm not saying we would continually switch him back and forth, I'm saying if we were to draft DRC or Reggie Smith we would be able to initially try them out at both positions and see where they would fit better and to keep them at that position. Reggie Smith is #1 on my draft board because IMO Saftey is the biggest need.

thule
01-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Love Clady, he would be my dream pick. Although Woody is probably staying so that need will be out the door. If not clady then I like jonathon stewart>mendenhall.

also, I really dont think AZ will have to jump ATL to get Jake Long. Just me.

I don't get where Stewart is getting all the top 10 hype...I really don't see him as anything closer than a 30-40 player...and think Mendenhall is the completely surperior prospect.

Well here is the deal...I think you meant KC....if they take the chance to see where ATL goes...as far as prospects go...I really think they lose out on a lot if ATL goes Long...the reason I bring this up is because of last year...something similar happened with Thomas and Brown...I'm just not sold with Clady as a top 5 pick...and I think that might be just enough to jump them....and the cost isn't that much really to move up on draft day to secure your player.

thule
01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm not saying we would continually switch him back and forth, I'm saying if we were to draft DRC or Reggie Smith we would be able to initially try them out at both positions and see where they would fit better and to keep them at that position. Reggie Smith is #1 on my draft board because IMO Saftey is the biggest need.

I guess I tend to disagree.

I understand where your coming from but I disagree from a draft standpoint.

I think that a top tier CB is easier to fit because you have a general idea at what your getting...drafting a player to move him is done enough to warrant it...but neither player you mentioned has played it "that" much and to project them there probably hurts their value a bit...now maybe Reggie Smith puts on a show at the combine and moves up my rankings...right now I just don't see it...I agree that 31 is probably an ideal range for him if not a bit lower right now...but at the end of this mock I just thought that Porter was such a good fit for this defense and was the end of the top tier of CB's that the move was warranted.