PDA

View Full Version : RB or OT?

Xiomera
01-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I am of the belief that the Lions need to draft defense only in the first three rounds this year. But I see an increasing possibility that all of our targeted defensive players will be off the board when we are picking at 15, in which case, the best value picks will all be Running Backs and Offensive Tackles (guys like Clady, Otah, Mendenhall, and Stewart).

So the question is, which possision is more acceptable as a first round draft pick in your opinion: RB or OT?

Xiomera
01-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Personally, I would advocate the selection of an OT before a RB.

My big board for RB's and OT's in round one looks like this:

1. Ryan Clady
2. Jonathan Stewart
3. Jeff Otah
4. Rashard Mendenhall

I support a plan to sign a free agent RB like Michael Turner to compete with KJ and Duckett, and the selection of Clady (ideal, but not likely to be there at 15) or more likely Jeff Otah. We can decide whether to move Backus to RT or not once we have a better feel for Otah's ability. I would also support the re-signing of Damien Woody to a deal no longer than 2 years in length (though he would probably want more years).

AlexDown
01-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Where these positions greatly needed last year also? Not to go back to the past but I remember some Lions fans telling me that Jake Long and Peterson were really not options and they were set on WR all along.

Geo
01-27-2008, 11:03 AM
If I were the Lions, I would place value on offensive tackle prospects. This franchise needs a legit left tackle and to move Bachus to right tackle in the absolute worst way. Long and Clady will be off the board in the Top 10, but Chris Williams and Jeff Otah are good prospects in their own right that I would covet.

However, that said, I expect Millen to draft a runningback.

Jagonsucker
01-27-2008, 11:41 AM
This is what we should do, Throw however much money possible at Turner so we have a legit RB, then sign a CB in FA, Draft either Clady or Otah with the 15th pick, then go defense for the rest of the draft. Draft another CB, DE, MLB, SS, etc..

wingboy2999
01-27-2008, 11:47 AM
The rest of the draft?

wingboy2999
01-27-2008, 12:50 PM
OT.... yeah!!!

Scotty D
01-27-2008, 03:51 PM
9 OT
0 RB

Good work guys.

Geo
01-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Even better, I helped bring in double-digits. Go pass pro!

Hopefully Millen will read this.

HE WON'T.

Addict
01-27-2008, 06:00 PM
it pains me to say but we need OL help more than we need Mendenhall...

01-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry I went for the sexy pick but I probably agree you guys need some help on the line first.

detroit4life
01-27-2008, 06:28 PM
any decent runningback can run behind a good line but a good running backs have a hard time running behind bad lines. So why wouldnt we want to get a good line rather then a good RB

Brothgar
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
it pains me to say but we need OL help more than we need Mendenhall...

Darn it I lost 5 bucks

Xiomera
01-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I am a little surprised this is so one sided. I thought I remember seeing at least a couple Lions fans advocating the selection of Mendenhall or another RB.

TacticaLion
01-27-2008, 07:37 PM
In this situation, did we resign Woody?

If so, I vote RB. Woody was solid at RT and a balanced offense will help our OLine greatly.

If we didn't resign Woody, I vote OT.

wingboy2999
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, this one is conditional.

Xiomera
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Isn't it also conditional on whether we re-sign Duckett, and sign a FA like Turner?

Just answer the question. Lay out your plan for addressing these 2 positions as I did.

wingboy2999
01-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Keep being so pushy, I'm gonna neg rep your ass.

wingboy2999
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I would switch the two RBs in your big board. As for the FA options, yes I'd love to sign someone like The Burner. If we could sign both Turner and Woody, that'd be great. Because that means we can go OL or D at 15. If we draft someone like Clady or Otah, we can put them at LT or RT. Backus can move ot the inside and our line would suddenly be much better.

A tandem of Turner and Duckett behind that line would be a great running attack. If we nail both of those guys in FA we will have a ton of options with where we can go. Although, in reality, the chances of getting Turner is slim. So resign Woody and we can decide who is the better option at 15. Whether it be OL, RB, DE or CB. So whatever gives us the better options and plugs the most holes is what I want.

Scotty D
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Isn't it also conditional on whether we re-sign Duckett, and sign a FA like Turner?

Just answer the question. Lay out your plan for addressing these 2 positions as I did.

So Turner is hitting free agency for sure? If so I'd look for him to be a main target. I don't know who was the last type of RB to hit the market like him. I'm guessing some where along the lines of a deal that McGahee got. Maybe a little less, because he's less proven. He's in the same situation of Lamont Jordon but I think he will get more. Justin Vargas has no ties to us, and I don't know if we would be interested, but I like the way he runs. Of course Duckett is still a great option and should come pretty cheap. I'd like to see Duckett on a two year deal.

Honestly what kind of deal is Woody looking for? I mean are teams actually going to be after this guy? I mean I don't see him getting anything more than a 1 year deal on the market. I hope Millen doesn't value him to highly. This guy was a major bust and played a couple of mediocre games at RT. I don't think it deserves that big of a pay day.

Of course with all our holes I hope we can be pretty active in free agency. Now if someone could confirm that Brian Kelly is a free agent I would be ecstatic.

wingboy2999
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
The play of DCR is also affecting the big boards of CB. A guy for us might be there.

The Legend
01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
i have to say OT, because i have the feeling by week 8 DrewStanton could be starting, and you need someone to hold him up right, and im a huge fan of Drew i think he really could be something big, and may even turn the season around if you start bad if you Kitna plays great then good for you guys

Turtlepower
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Derrick Ward is an UFA. I don't know if you'd be interested in him as well, but he did have a nice season until his leg got split in two.

The Legend
01-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Derrick Ward is an UFA. I don't know if you'd be interested in him as well, but he did have a nice season until his leg got split in two.

any new how bad he is and when he will be healty? cause he was really good

Scotty D
01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
The play of DCR is also affecting the big boards of CB. A guy for us might be there.

Yeah. The rise of him and Mcklevin (sp?) are helping us. They are both man to man types. If they can push Mike Jenkins down to us that would be amazing. If we make that pick is a whole other discussion.

I don't think we will look at any RB with question marks. We have enough with KJ. Before the injury no doubt we would probably look at him.

Bootland27
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah. The rise of him and Mcklevin (sp?) are helping us. They are both man to man types. If they can push Mike Jenkins down to us that would be amazing. If we make that pick is a whole other discussion.

Or maybe even Cason in round 2

TacticaLion
01-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Plan:

If we resign Woody, I think we should look to take a MLB or CB with our 1st round pick, the position not drafted in the 1st round with our 2nd round pick and another CB in the third round.

If we don't resign Woody, I think we should look to take a MLB or CB with our 1st round pick, an OT with our 2nd round pick and the position not drafted in the 1st round with our 3rd round pick.

I think we'll address our RB depth later in the draft or in free agency... but we've got bigger concerns (especially on defense) than RB. Calhoun should be given a fair shot and KJones could still be healthy for next year.

But... I'd rather take a RB in round 1 than an OT.

Bootland27
01-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Killer was on the radio Friday, and he thinks the Lions will try to add a RB, RT(unless woody re-signs) and DE via FA and could go all defense in the draft (possibly 2 CBs in the first 3 rounds).

wingboy2999
01-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Or maybe even Cason in round 2

I think we can get Cason in the 2nd anyway. And he'd fit perfectly for us.

asmitty45
01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
1. Clady
2. Stewart
3. Mendenhall
4. Otah

Mendenhall isn't my favorite but I'm even less into Otah.

I love Jon Stewart so he jumps up my list, but not enough to pass the guy who i would freak out if we got, Ryan Clady.

wingboy2999
01-28-2008, 12:09 AM
That'd take a fall of epic proportions to land us Clady. And then it is a no brainer.

WMD
01-28-2008, 01:26 AM
OT definitely.

detroit4life
01-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I think we can get Cason in the 2nd anyway. And he'd fit perfectly for us.

yeah cason is a perfect fit for us and would be pretty good value to get him in round 2.

Addict
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
yeah cason is a perfect fit for us and would be pretty good value to get him in round 2.

Cason would be a solid pick in the second, even though I was kinda hoping we'd get Erin Henderson around there... god it stinks to have so many holes.

wingboy2999
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Cason would be a solid pick in the second, even though I was kinda hoping we'd get Erin Henderson around there... god it stinks to have so many holes.

That's not what your mom says.

Xiomera
01-28-2008, 09:03 PM

Good god man . . . do you have an infinite number of those jokes?

TacticaLion
01-28-2008, 09:46 PM

Haha...

Addict...

His mom...

Holes...

These Lions boards are a lot more enjoyable with wingboy around.

wingboy2999
01-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Good god man . . . do you have an infinite number of those jokes?

The hits just keep on coming.

Like your mom.