PDA

View Full Version : Drew Stanton Discussion: Is he really our QB of the Future?

Xiomera
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/hugeblog/2008/01/depending_on_stanton_would_be.html

I think this article brings up a lot of valid arguments.

I do believe it would be foolish to sit back and be content with Kitna, Stanton and Orlovsky.

And then there are those statistics that indicate that something like 3% of QB's taken in Round 2 are successful in the NFL, compared to something like 50% of 1st round QB's.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
01-28-2008, 04:57 PM
It doesn't matter what Round you pick him as long he has good coaching, some talent at least(semi-strong arm, mobility(more importantly pocket awareness,accuracy) and can make good reads as quick as possible. Making good reads/decisions is the most important. In his college career, Stanton was inconsistent in doing that. He has the talent though but he has to stay healthy and become a smarter player. That will come with actual game time.

Favre,Boomer Esiason,Cunningham,Brees and Jake Plummer are all Round 2 picks.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=Quarterbacks

detroit4life
01-28-2008, 05:19 PM
i do have faith in him i think he has all the talent to be our QB of the future and i just hope the coaching will get him there. But yes i am very content with him as our QB in two years

WMD
01-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Never had faith in Stanton, never wanted him, never liked him at Michigan State. Massive waste of a Round 2 pick.

By the way; I'm proud to spend my 11,000th post bashing Drew Stanton!!

Xiomera
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I liked the Stanton pick when we made it (except for the fact we passed on Dave Harris for him), but that was when we had Martz here. The fact that Stanton was hand-picked by Martz to fit his specific system, and then groomed for his rookie year in Martz's offense is problematic to me now that Martz is gone.

All I am saying is that we can't wait around and hope that he develops. We need to evaluate our situation and proceed with someone else if he doesn't show the necessary signs THIS SEASON.

wingboy2999
01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
If it is thought that Stanton could perform in Martz's offense... what makes you think it is harder for him to do something in a LESS complicated offense? If anything, it makes it easier on him.

Addict
01-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Never had faith in Stanton, never wanted him, never liked him at Michigan State. Massive waste of a Round 2 pick.

By the way; I'm proud to spend my 11,000th post bashing Drew Stanton!!

congrats WMD, on the 11,000, even though I'm pretty sure you spent about half of them to rave about Patrick Willis and Calais Campbell :)

I think it's a bit early to judge Stanton, he may have been a reach and a bit of dissapointment (but he was on IR, so he can't really help that) but he might pan out to be okay..

Xiomera
01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
If it is thought that Stanton could perform in Martz's offense... what makes you think it is harder for him to do something in a LESS complicated offense? If anything, it makes it easier on him.

It's the fact that Stanton wasn't widely viewed as a guy that was well equiped to be a starting NFL QB. Martz succeeds with "lesser" QB's who possess certain attributes essential to his unique offensive system.

Stanton has some obvious flaws. Martz trained him to be one way, and now he will have to be another. He stunted his growth as a QB. And now the current Lions regime is stuck with a QB they didn't pick, but feel obligated to commit to, if only because he was a 2nd round pick last year.

I have said it before, I liked Stanton coming out of college, but I don't like him enough to feel content with the situation we face: Aging, inconsistant Kitna, Orlovsky, and Stanton, who basically sat out all of last year. Remember Mike Williams?

WMD
01-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Remember Mike Williams?

No.. who??

asmitty45
01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, I have faith.

How can we not? We haven't even given him a shot! At least wait a year before losing hope like we normally do.

Xiomera
01-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes, I have faith.

How can we not? We haven't even given him a shot! At least wait a year before losing hope like we normally do.

History has given us many reasons to believe that merely playing for the Lions condemns 95% of guys to a poor career. That figure has jumped to 99% since Millen took over.

WMD
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
History has given us many reasons to believe that merely playing for the Lions condemns 95% of guys to a poor career. That figure has jumped to 99% since Millen took over.

Plus, he wasn't even that great in College.

wingboy2999
01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Your mom goes to college.

Bootland27
01-28-2008, 10:25 PM
He's talented enough to deserve a shot, but he's inconsistent and prone to injury. We very well could be looking for another QB in the near future.

Whitebull
01-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Stanton is a Millen pick. He wasn't a Martz pick at all.

Xiomera
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Stanton is a Millen pick. He wasn't a Martz pick at all.

Umm . . . no.

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Martz did have a say in it.

Iamcanadian
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Who knows how it will turnout??? We'll know in a few years and then it is worth talking about. All we can do is pray he works out or we'll be back at square one which is the usual place for this franchise anyways.

TacticaLion
01-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Way too early to decide if Stanton is our QB of the future. When Romo was signed as a FA, did the Dallas fans expect him to lead them to the playoffs? Probably not.

His college career is a bit misleading... he had a horrible supporting cast and still performed well. Sure, Martz was going to build him and left... but, he's still a QB and still has some sort of talent.

I like his drive and personality and I think that'll get him far. Lets see what he can do on the field before we judge him as a player.