PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys want to trade up for McFadden

Joeyjr09
01-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Chris Mortensen reported that the Cowboys could be willing to part with both their 1st rounders, a 3rd and Marion Barber for the number 1 overall. I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. What do you all think? and who would like like to see targetted with those 2 1st round picks?

I know it's still a longshot but it's fun to speculate. Btw, I'm pretty sure that the Cowboys would get the better half of the TVC in that deal.

verdas87
01-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I heard rumors of them wanting mcfadden and have been wondering how far they would go to get him. I wouldn't mind if something like this happen because I don't think any of the top guys are true #1's (or at least what we need), and we could really help ourselves out with multiple picks(at this point we need help in more that one position obviously.)

thebow305
01-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Chris Mortensen reported that the Cowboys could be willing to part with both their 1st rounders, a 3rd and Marion Barber for the number 1 overall. I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. What do you all think? and who would like like to see targetted with those 2 1st round picks?

I know it's still a longshot but it's fun to speculate. Btw, I'm pretty sure that the Cowboys would get the better half of the TVC in that deal.

How could this be though, I thought Dallas had a very high opinion on Barber as possibly their starter next year which is why they are not bringing back Julius Jones?

I'm not sure how I feel about that trade. Wouldn't we be missing out on a lot of franchise players? How does everyone else feel? Who would we target then, and how much truth is there to this rumor!?

Joeyjr09
01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
How could this be though, I thought Dallas had a very high opinion on Barber as possibly their starter next year which is why they are not bringing back Julius Jones?

I'm not sure how I feel about that trade. Wouldn't we be missing out on a lot of franchise players? How does everyone else feel? Who would we target then, and how much truth is there to this rumor!?

Barber is a RFA so they would trade us his right and it would be up to us to sign him to a contract. Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alum and is in love with McFadden.

How exactly would we be missing on alot of franchise players with this trade? We'd be losing one pick (which could or couldnt be a franchise player, picks bust all the time and this is a very weak draft at the top). We'd be getting a proven Pro Bowl RB, 2 1st rounders which could turn out to be stars or busts just like the number 1 pick plus a 3rd rounder which will bring much needed depth. If anything your giving yourself more chances of landing franchise players then losing one.

Besides at this point, we aren't about bringing in franchise players. We are about bringing in young starters everywhere. Ronnie Brown and Jason Taylor are still your franchise players for now. We need to get lots of picks to bring in young talent at all the other spots and field a solid team. We will get plenty of chances of picking up franchise top of the draft players the next 2 years. For now lets focus on getting the overall talent and depth of this team to a comptetive level.

thebow305
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Barber is a RFA so they would trade us his right and it would be up to us to sign him to a contract. Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alum and is in love with McFadden.

How exactly would we be missing on alot of franchise players with this trade? We'd be losing one pick (which could or couldnt be a franchise player, picks bust all the time and this is a very weak draft at the top). We'd be getting a proven Pro Bowl RB, 2 1st rounders which could turn out to be stars or busts just like the number 1 pick plus a 3rd rounder which will bring much needed depth. If anything your giving yourself more chances of landing franchise players then losing one.

Besides at this point, we aren't about bringing in franchise players. We are about bringing in young starters everywhere. Ronnie Brown and Jason Taylor are still your franchise players for now. We need to get lots of picks to bring in young talent at all the other spots and field a solid team. We will get plenty of chances of picking up franchise top of the draft players the next 2 years. For now lets focus on getting the overall talent and depth of this team to a comptetive level.

A do agree with a majority of that... surprisingly. What I am talking about as far as franchise (or impact) players are the top 5 or so guys that most people feel are the stars of this draft (Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, and Both Longs). Although we do need a lot of help and to bring in an infusion of youth at a great amount by stockpiling, we do need impact players as well. And I feel like all of those guys could make an instant impact, whereas some of the guys in the 20-30 range maybe wouldn't, they could be solid, but unlikely to make a big push right away. But I could be wrong. Anyway, So who do you think we would target if we did have those two first rounders from the 'Boys??

Finsfan79
01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Rather get Spears 3 1sts for the 1st pick

Joeyjr09
01-29-2008, 07:22 PM
A do agree with a majority of that... surprisingly. What I am talking about as far as franchise (or impact) players are the top 5 or so guys that most people feel are the stars of this draft (Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, and Both Longs). Although we do need a lot of help and to bring in an infusion of youth at a great amount by stockpiling, we do need impact players as well. And I feel like all of those guys could make an instant impact, whereas some of the guys in the 20-30 range maybe wouldn't, they could be solid, but unlikely to make a big push right away. But I could be wrong. Anyway, So who do you think we would target if we did have those two first rounders from the 'Boys??

I actually think this draft is pretty deep and we could get a couple real good impact guys with those picks. Not franchise players but definately impact guys. Remember Cromartie was picked at 19 2 years ago. DeMeco Ryans was the 33rd overall pick that same draft. You can definately find impact players in the 20-35 range. I agree with you on the 5 guys at the top being the best but this year is a weak year at the top and seeing as we will likely have a top 5 pick next year and a top 10 pick the year after. I'd rather build the depth now and use those picks for franchise type guys with there being more talent at the top.

At 22 and 28, I'd definately like to see us hit the lines on both sides. The only way I'd like to see us go with anything other then the lines is if a guy Like Kenny Phillips slips to the 22nd pick which is highly doubtful.

Anyway, these would both be situations I'd love:

22- Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida
28- Sam Baker, OT, USC

or

22- Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt
28- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (FL)

These are all high upside guys that could get taken higher but could also slip right into this range as well. Toss up but that would be the type of bounty I'd be looking for.

Joeyjr09
01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Rather get Spears 3 1sts for the 1st pick

Spears isn't an option. Him and Parcells don't get along. And when was the last time you saw a team trade 3 1st rounders in 1 year? Come on man, thats the biggest pipe dream ever.

Joeyjr09
01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
On another note, here is a quick mock of guys I'd like if this trade goes thru.

RD1:
22-Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida
28-Sam Baker, LT, USC
RD2:
32-Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
58-Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
RD3:
63-Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland
90-Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
RD4:
94-Zack Bowman, CB, Nebraska
RD6:
126-Chester Adams, OG, Georgia
RD7:
156-Frank Morton, DT, Tulane

You could get a little nit picky about a guy going a little too high or too low but more or less it hits on alot of our needs up front and I don't think it's too unreasonable. We get a 3-4 to rotate in with JT and Joey. We got a LT to move Carey over to RT. Merling has the size to play DE in the 3-4 and will be excellent to help out or bad run D. He does need to gain some weight but putting on 5-10 pounds will put him in the 280-285 range which is perfect for a 3-4 DE. Bennett is the big strong safety valve TE that Parcells loves. Henderson is a guy that needs alot of polish but has great size and can move to ILB where he can cover backs and TEs next to Crowder who would be our run stuffer. Earl Bennett is a guy I don't think will fall this far but seeing as there are a solid group of 2-4 RD WRs it's not completely out of the realm. He's got nice size and would complement Ginn very well. He could be a Keyshawn to Ginn's Terry Glenn. Zack Bowman, Chester Adams, and Frank Morton are all big physical players that could work in as backups and STs and see if we can groom them into role players and situational guys.

Bow, I'm interested to see your take on the type of draft you'd want if we get all these picks.

thebow305
01-30-2008, 10:09 AM
On another note, here is a quick mock of guys I'd like if this trade goes thru.

RD1:
22-Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida
28-Sam Baker, LT, USC
RD2:
32-Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
58-Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
RD3:
63-Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland
90-Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
RD4:
94-Zack Bowman, CB, Nebraska
RD6:
126-Chester Adams, OG, Georgia
RD7:
156-Frank Morton, DT, Tulane

You could get a little nit picky about a guy going a little too high or too low but more or less it hits on alot of our needs up front and I don't think it's too unreasonable. We get a 3-4 to rotate in with JT and Joey. We got a LT to move Carey over to RT. Merling has the size to play DE in the 3-4 and will be excellent to help out or bad run D. He does need to gain some weight but putting on 5-10 pounds will put him in the 280-285 range which is perfect for a 3-4 DE. Bennett is the big strong safety valve TE that Parcells loves. Henderson is a guy that needs alot of polish but has great size and can move to ILB where he can cover backs and TEs next to Crowder who would be our run stuffer. Earl Bennett is a guy I don't think will fall this far but seeing as there are a solid group of 2-4 RD WRs it's not completely out of the realm. He's got nice size and would complement Ginn very well. He could be a Keyshawn to Ginn's Terry Glenn. Zack Bowman, Chester Adams, and Frank Morton are all big physical players that could work in as backups and STs and see if we can groom them into role players and situational guys.

Bow, I'm interested to see your take on the type of draft you'd want if we get all these picks.

That is a pretty good group of guys and I agree with your assessments of the team and where they fit it, as well as the players there for the most part. I would do it a little different. Two I don't agree on are Earl Bennett and Zack Bowman. Bowman has looked like a trainwreck since his injury two years ago and could even go undrafted IMO. Bennett is not all that much bigger than Ginn and IMO, they would be almost the same type of reciever. We don't need that. What we need is a big possession-type WR to compliment the smaller, speedy Ginn. Here's how my mock would go if that trade happened:

RD1:
22-Calais Campbell, DE/OLB, Miami (Fla.)
26-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
RD2:
32-Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
58-Ahtyba Rubin, NT, Iowa State
RD3:
63-Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
90-John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame (or Jermichael Finley if he's gone)
RD4:
94-Ezra Butler, ILB, Nevada
RD6:
126-Hercules Satele, OG, Hawaii
RD7:
156-Amarri Jackson, WR, South Florida

Some of those players could be off the board be those spots, but if they are there, then this seems to be a very productive draft and I would be very happy with it if it turned out like that. Let me know that you think Joeyjr and everyone else.

TacticaLion
01-30-2008, 10:19 AM
If I'm the Fins, I take this trade.

2 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick and Barber for the 1st overall... for a rebuilding team, that's the right move to make.

Joeyjr09
01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
RD1:
22-Calais Campbell, DE/OLB, Miami (Fla.)
26-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
RD2:
32-Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
58-Ahtyba Rubin, NT, Iowa State
RD3:
63-Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
90-John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame (or Jermichael Finley if he's gone)
RD4:
94-Ezra Butler, ILB, Nevada
RD6:
126-Hercules Satele, OG, Hawaii
RD7:
156-Amarri Jackson, WR, South Florida

Some of those players could be off the board be those spots, but if they are there, then this seems to be a very productive draft and I would be very happy with it if it turned out like that. Let me know that you think Joeyjr and everyone else.

Eh. I'm iffy on that, there's some guys I like and some Im not too sure about. Calais is obviously a good pick at 22 and while I'd love Cromartie, I don't think I'd take him until our 1st 2nd rounder at the earliest. I'd rather see us grab an OT like Sam Baker or Chris Williams there instead of waiting back for Cherilus. Cherilus is a pure RT. Baker and Williams are flexible and can play both sides. If we can get Cromartie with that early 2nd then I'm all for it. Can't say I'm a fan of Rubin in that spot. I think it's a pretty big reach just to try to fit a need. I'd rather grab the best player.

Not sure I agree with you on Bennett. He's got good size. He's not a 6'4 220 pound monster like Adarius Bowman but he's not a small guy like 6 foot 175 pound Mario Manningham, either.

At 6'1 and 205 pounds he's very well built for a WR.

I love the Langford pick. My be my favorite one you made. Also a fan of Butler and Satele. Not too sold on Jackson at the end. Could be worth a gamble but I'd rather take a developmental CB or OL for depth that we can groom. Not too bad, I wouldn't mind it but it would leave me feeling with we didn't get the best value at certain spots and with our team in shambles, I'm all about getting good value and the better talent at the sake of real deep need.

kingjames
01-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, number 1, I don't think Jerry Jones is that ignorant. He is not a good GM but he also not a fool. That is a horrid trade.

Number 2, if Parcells and Ireland can do that trade with Ronnie Brown coming back you guys are well on your way to the Playoffs in 2009. Your OL has some talent. You will bring in a Vet QB to drive the bus. You got a WR who can at least go downfield fast.

Defensively, Parcells will turn around the bottom of the roster and bring in good back-ups. He will find 4 or 5 starters with those 5/6/7/UDFA round pickups and a couple of FA signings.

God, if you get 7 picks in the Top 100 of this draft ... wow. Ireland/Parcells and team are genius.

thebow305
01-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Eh. I'm iffy on that, there's some guys I like and some Im not too sure about. Calais is obviously a good pick at 22 and while I'd love Cromartie, I don't think I'd take him until our 1st 2nd rounder at the earliest. I'd rather see us grab an OT like Sam Baker or Chris Williams there instead of waiting back for Cherilus. Cherilus is a pure RT. Baker and Williams are flexible and can play both sides. If we can get Cromartie with that early 2nd then I'm all for it. Can't say I'm a fan of Rubin in that spot. I think it's a pretty big reach just to try to fit a need. I'd rather grab the best player.

Not sure I agree with you on Bennett. He's got good size. He's not a 6'4 220 pound monster like Adarius Bowman but he's not a small guy like 6 foot 175 pound Mario Manningham, either.

At 6'1 and 205 pounds he's very well built for a WR.

I love the Langford pick. My be my favorite one you made. Also a fan of Butler and Satele. Not too sold on Jackson at the end. Could be worth a gamble but I'd rather take a developmental CB or OL for depth that we can groom. Not too bad, I wouldn't mind it but it would leave me feeling with we didn't get the best value at certain spots and with our team in shambles, I'm all about getting good value and the better talent at the sake of real deep need.

FYI, DRC is a first rounder for sure and could very well be long gone by that pick at 26. That was one of the ones I was not sure about being there, so if he was and we were to get him, that would be great value! We can maybe nab Chris Williams, Anthony Collins, or Carl Nicks in the 2nd to fill our need at OT. Also, Rubin would actually be a great value at the end of the 2nd. This guy is shooting up draft boards right now supposedly. Trust me, I was his biggest critic at the beginning but supposedly this guy is a beast, and at his weigh in he was built like a tank, very well built for a 330 pounder. In this draft there are very few sure NT prospects, and he is one of them now. Not only should we draft him there, we NEED to. Amarri would be a nice gamble there at 6'5" with a very good vertical he could be the big possesion reciever that we need to compliment Ginn. We can agree to disagree on some of t picks, but I feel like that would be almost perfect draft that would put us well on our way to being very competitive again very soon!

Joeyjr09
01-31-2008, 08:01 AM
FYI, DRC is a first rounder for sure and could very well be long gone by that pick at 26. That was one of the ones I was not sure about being there, so if he was and we were to get him, that would be great value! We can maybe nab Chris Williams, Anthony Collins, or Carl Nicks in the 2nd to fill our need at OT. Also, Rubin would actually be a great value at the end of the 2nd. This guy is shooting up draft boards right now supposedly. Trust me, I was his biggest critic at the beginning but supposedly this guy is a beast, and at his weigh in he was built like a tank, very well built for a 330 pounder. In this draft there are very few sure NT prospects, and he is one of them now. Not only should we draft him there, we NEED to. Amarri would be a nice gamble there at 6'5" with a very good vertical he could be the big possesion reciever that we need to compliment Ginn. We can agree to disagree on some of t picks, but I feel like that would be almost perfect draft that would put us well on our way to being very competitive again very soon!

Too early in the process to say DRC is a lock 1st rounder. He's definately got the potential and I like him alot, I just don't think his value is gonna be at the point when the draft rolls around.

With you on Carl Nicks in the 2nd. I think he'd be a heck of a pickup.