PDA

View Full Version : A newbie Steelers Mock Draft. Let me hear it. ; )

SmarterThanU
01-29-2008, 05:11 PM
RD1- Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh
Massive offensive lineman that has LT potential. This moves Colon to LG with the leaving of Faneca. And maybe or LT in 2009 if Smith isn't resigned.

RD2- James Hardy WR Indiana
Big Ben complained about not having any tall receivers. Well, the 6 feet 7 inch Hardy is about as tall as they come. Ward is still good but will be 32 in a couple of months. Holmes is about to have a break out season but after that we haven't got a lot. Washington looks to be a possible #3 for the future but Willie Reed is horrible and Cedric Wilson is just a journey man.

RD3- DaJuan Morgan FS N.C. State
Unless it comes to talking Anthony Smith really hasn't showed much. Morgan is a tackling machine and has great speed and hips being a former RB. Also had 3 picks and 6 pbu's. Should make the fs position a little more competitive.

RD4- Cliff Avril OLB/DE Purdue
Can play DE in the Tampa 2 and OLB in the 3-4. Harrison is a stud but also will be 30. This gives the Steelers acouple of years to develop Woodley and Avril at OLB and put Timmons at ILB for Farrior.

RD5- Ryan Torain RB Arizona St.
Torain is a power back that should compliment Parker nicely. Parker is a stud but really needs someone to help carry some of that loan. Davenport just isn't that guy.

RD6- Mike Fladell OG Rutgers
A 6-8 325lb guard that blocked for Ray Rice and Brian Leonard.

RD7- Shannon Boatman OT Florida St.
Another massive o-linemen with potential. Lets coach some of these later round guys up and see if we find a gem.

JoeSixPac
01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I like the first two picks.

Santonio10
01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Not sure if Hardy will be there in the second. Not bad though. I think we need a corner in this draft too.

mikehop05
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
not bad but we dont have a 2nd and it doesnt concern our biggest need which is dline

TheWood56
01-29-2008, 07:43 PM
not bad but we dont have a 2nd and it doesnt concern our biggest need which is dline

You mean 7th.

But I agree with you in that we need to address the DL, if not in FA, then through the draft.

Also, I'd take Hardy in the 2nd, but I doubt he even makes it into the 2nd, let alone to the bottom of the 2nd, though it is a nice thought.

mikehop05
01-29-2008, 08:13 PM
yeah sorry 7th

Man_Of_Steel
01-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I really like it. Especially rounds 1,2,3,5.

terribletowel39
01-30-2008, 11:09 AM
yea i like everything except 4 too. i would grab the best 34 DE thats on the board in the fourth instead of an OLB, we have time (atleast a year or two) before we need to worry about that position.

SmarterThanU
01-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Forgot we don't have a 7th. Thanks for the positive reviews. I know Hardy in the second is a stretch but every draft site I see has him as a 1st or 2nd. And last year Dwayne Jarrett at this time as a top ten pick and he went 45th overall. I think Hardy's negative of not being explosive or real physical will drop him to the second round. Just personal opinion.

The reason I went with Avril is I think he could fit into both the Tampa 2 and our 3-4 defense. He has had 30 TFL and 13 sacks over the last two seasons and Haggans and Harrison aren't getting any younger.

terribletowel39
01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Forgot we don't have a 7th. Thanks for the positive reviews. I know Hardy in the second is a stretch but every draft site I see has him as a 1st or 2nd. And last year Dwayne Jarrett at this time as a top ten pick and he went 45th overall. I think Hardy's negative of not being explosive or real physical will drop him to the second round. Just personal opinion.

The reason I went with Avril is I think he could fit into both the Tampa 2 and our 3-4 defense. He has had 30 TFL and 13 sacks over the last two seasons and Haggans and Harrison aren't getting any younger.
while them not getting any younger is a true statement. Haggans is gone this year and a young Woodley is coming in. and while yes Harrison is turning 30 this year, he is still producing. we can wait another year. i don't think we can wait another year for the DE help. Smith goes down and we allow somewhere around 170 ypg on the ground in those two games. we need better depth. two torn biceps is hard to come back from, we don't even know if he will be the Smith. i just think it is more pressing than an OLB at the moment.

steelersfan27
01-30-2008, 03:33 PM
nice mock and i would love Otah/Hardy in the 1st 2 rounds.

ps. we have a thread for mocks and welcome.

Jakey
01-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Not bad for a 1st mock...some good picks/some bad picks. B-

TheWood56
01-30-2008, 07:55 PM
AreYouSmarterThanA5thGrader, if you really want Avril or an OLB in the 4th, because I agree, I'd love for another pass rushing OLB considering Haggans will be gone next season and we don't necessarily have good depth there (Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier) why don't you just replace Morgan in the 3rd and replace him with a DE like Langford or something, even though I'm starting to think if we really want Langford, we'd have to select him with our 2nd rounder. Though I really think DL is a big priority, and unless we make a couple of moves in FA and pickup a couple of solid DL for depth, we'll most certainly have to select a young DL come draft day. Also, I say replace Morgan in the 3rd because I've heard Ryan Clark will be able to return healthy next season after having his spleen removed, and I actually don't mind Clark back there as think he's a safe, solid player. I also think Anthony Smith, regardless of what anyone says, has a bright future and has a heap of potential, so I'm still really holding out for him in hopes that he can play a little more disciplined and possibly have a break out year in 2008. I think if Clark's able to return healthy next season after having his spleen removed, which I've heard he'll be able to, I really don't think drafting a FS is a priority, especially considering I still have high hopes for Smith and think he has great potential.

Thunder&Lightning
01-30-2008, 08:16 PM
good draft 1,2,3,4 reallllll nice

mikehop05
01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
i for one am still an anthony smith lover, idk bout anyone else though

terribletowel39
01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
agreed. Smith still has a chance to be a good one.

TheWood56
01-31-2008, 08:53 PM

I am. Did you read my post above?

bdcbdc7
02-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Great Mock. I'll do a back flip if the first 4 rnds go that way. Avril would be a great pick and yes we absolutely need OLB depth and another good pass rusher.

The Giants seem to have collected a nice stable of pass rushers and we see it does protect the back 7 quite a bit. As I like to say a great pass rush forgives a ton of the D's sins.

We need a CF kind of Safety a true FS. I like A. Smith but he is a Strong safety and he is being used out of position as a FS. I like Clark and IMO he played well when healthy. I would go after a DE/DT at three. We can get by with the Safeties we have.

STRONG to quite Strong

terribletowel39
02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
STRONG to quite Strong
huh?? say what???!!