PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want?

Xiomera
01-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Plain and simple: Which player would you take if you had your choice at 15?

Make your case for your guy.

Thunder&Lightning
01-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I feel you guys need to sure up your oline. Part of the the reason why lions fell apart last season was because kitna was getting pressure before he finished his drop back. Think lions would hit jackpot if Clady drops to them but that is doubtful, Otah is massive guy that can develop into a good LT with some years. Lions will need to sure up there oline if they want to give stanton a chance to develop.

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
I went with Harvey. Although I'm torn between him or Otah.

WMD
01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Best fit for our Defense at the position that would help us the most.. Derrick Harvey.

If I didn't have to worry about fitting a scheme and all that junk.. I'd take....

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1388/273260507adbcsyphot5.jpghttp://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6730/283180369etbysifsoo2.jpg

Calais Campbell aka "The Ladies Man"!

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I assume Campell is too slow to be a great pass rusher.

WMD
01-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I feel you guys need to sure up your oline. Part of the the reason why lions fell apart last season was because kitna was getting pressure before he finished his drop back. Think lions would hit jackpot if Clady drops to them but that is doubtful, Otah is massive guy that can develop into a good LT with some years. Lions will need to sure up there oline if they want to give stanton a chance to develop.

Our OL isn't as bad as the numbers say.. One of the reasons Kitna was sacked so much because we passed so much. Not saying our O-Line is good at all, but with a more balanced attack next year, our sack totals will drop a ton.

Financially, we're paying Jeff Backus top Left Tackle money. He'll have be our LT until his contract is up.. Do you draft a Right Tackle at #15? I don't think that's very smart, Financially and Value-wise.

I think the earliest we should draft an OT is in Round 2, unless we land a pick somewhere in the Mid-Late 20's through a trade.. but I wouldn't even think about one at #15.

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Again, I think it depends big time on if Woody resigns or not.

Xiomera
01-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I voted for Otah. None of these defensive players does much to excite me.

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I voted for Otah. None of these defensive players does much to excite me.

I could make a homosexual joke but I'll leave that one alone.

Xiomera
01-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I could make a homosexual joke but I'll leave that one alone.

Immediatly after typing that I thought to myself, "Wow, Wingboy is gonna get me for this one . . ."

HA!

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure you are going to slip up soon enough.

D-Unit
01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Jeff Otah excites Xio in ways we'll never know. Nor do we want to know.

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 07:40 PM

Oh look who it is. It's my client. Or soon to be client. Come D-Unit.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040403/biz.jpg

Sign on the X.

X_______________

Xiomera
01-29-2008, 07:43 PM

Are you really in a position to talk about alledged love affairs with players? You're wife is probably thinking of leaving you with all the talking you do about Colt Brennan.

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000YTPES.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

D-Unit
01-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Oh look who it is. It's my client. Or soon to be client. Come D-Unit.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040403/biz.jpg

Sign on the X.

X_______________
I would sign it, but I'm no kid! You're not fooling me, like you did little Johnny.

http://www.policeone.com/policeone/data/1/images/dyn/Sign_here.jpg

Brothgar
01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I went Otah because the fact we haven't picked a 1st round OL since Jeff Backus really worries me

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Since I am apparently a cop now...

http://thedarkprophet.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/police_brutality01.gif

WMD
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Since I am apparently a cop now...

http://thedarkprophet.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/police_brutality01.gif

Why does the cop gotta be beatin on the black man?

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
It is a black cop.

WMD
01-29-2008, 08:38 PM
It is a black cop.

Well then why is the Cop beating on a black Cop?

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Completely interpreted it the wrong way.

D-Unit
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Well then why is the Cop beating on a black Cop?
He's not. The black man pushed the cop who is lying on the ground face down.

WMD
01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Completely interpreted it the wrong way.

No no, I interpreted it in the right way, you just didn't get that I was making a joke..

detroit4life
01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
i voted Harvey he could make an impact on our Dline and DE is a very important position for us

TacticaLion
01-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I voted Connor... which is really a vote for the best MLB available in the draft.

Our pass-rush wasn't horrible this year (statistically), and, considering that Edwards was injured early (and had good numbers before the injury), White was injured late and Redding recorded 1 sack, I think that says a lot. DeVries stepped up and a few young players (IAF, Smith) will get better with more experience.

In other words, I don't think DE is nearly as weak as MLB or CB. Lenon and Bailey form a horrible LB group and our secondary was disgusting. A pure pass-rushing DE can also be found in rounds 3-5, so I can't justify spending a 1st round pick on the position.

And, as WMD said, our OLine wasn't as bad as the numbers indicate. Kitna holds the ball way too long and the constant passing (and passing plays called) got him killed. If we resign Woody to fill RT, our OLine will be solid and the numbers will drop just from calling fewer passing plays.

Save our defense... it needs saving.

wingboy2999
01-29-2008, 10:53 PM
You wouldn't think Harvey could come in and make an impact? Anyway, I'd rather take Lofton in Round 2.

TacticaLion
01-29-2008, 10:55 PM
You wouldn't think Harvey could come in and make an impact? Anyway, I'd rather take Lofton in Round 2.

Of course he could come in and make an impact... many players could on our team. To me, it isn't about making an impact, but the biggest impact possible. Improvement is good, but more improvement is better.

A bigger impact would be made by replacing Lenon with the best MLB in the draft, though... we've got talent at DE but lack talent completely at MLB.

Whitebull
01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Otah isn't a Marinelli guy.

Harvey. It's gotta be pass-rusher.

wingboy2999
01-31-2008, 08:58 AM
How is Otah not a Marinelli guy?

Scotty D
01-31-2008, 03:32 PM
How is Otah not a Marinelli guy?

He blocks people.

wingboy2999
01-31-2008, 03:45 PM
He blocks people.

Holy crap. I can see it now.

SCOTTY D & D-UNIT : LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST
PERFORMING "HOW YOU LIKE D'S NUTZ?" - TONIGHT ONLY

We got a comedic dynasty baby!

TacticaLion
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Otah isn't a Marinelli guy.

Harvey. It's gotta be pass-rusher.

More now than ever (especially after that IAF article on MLive) do I feel that the Lions will not target DE in the first few rounds.

IAF was a 2nd round pick and the coaches are high on him. Couple that with DeVries' surprising play and Corey Smith and you've got a solid DE group. Other areas of the defense (MLB and CB, to be more specific) are in shambles and need immediate help.

And, considering that a Cover 2 CB can be drafted later in the draft, I think MLB will be the pick.

detroit4life
01-31-2008, 05:55 PM
More now than ever (especially after that IAF article on MLive) do I feel that the Lions will not target DE in the first few rounds.

IAF was a 2nd round pick and the coaches are high on him. Couple that with DeVries' surprising play and Corey Smith and you've got a solid DE group. Other areas of the defense (MLB and CB, to be more specific) are in shambles and need immediate help.

And, considering that a Cover 2 CB can be drafted later in the draft, I think MLB will be the pick.

theres isnt a MLB that is good enough to be taken at 15. We could get equal value or close to with our second round pick for a MLB so why not get someone else at 15

Scotty D
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM
So who do you guys think is good enough value to take at 15?

wingboy2999
01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Derrick Harvey or Otah.

WMD
01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Derrick Harvey, Philip Merling, Calais Campbell, Aqib Talib, Keith Rivers, and Dan Connor I think would all be fine "value" at #15.. Obviously I think DE is a more important need than a CB or LB..

Also, I think Reggie Smith could be an interesting pick.. maybe not at 15, but I think he'd fit well as a Cover 2 Corner and would also have the ability to slide to a Safety spot. Just throwing it out there.

Brothgar
01-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Derrick Harvey, Philip Merling, Calais Campbell, Aqib Talib, Keith Rivers, and Dan Connor I think would all be fine "value" at #15.. Obviously I think DE is a more important need than a CB or LB..

Also, I think Reggie Smith could be an interesting pick.. maybe not at 15, but I think he'd fit well as a Cover 2 Corner and would also have the ability to slide to a Safety spot. Just throwing it out there.

But we have Gerald Alexander and Greg Blue

wingboy2999
01-31-2008, 08:14 PM
We love Greg Blue.... I don't know why but we do.

Scotty D
01-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Reggie Smith would be a fine cover 2 corner. I can't see him playing safety for us. Bullocks and Alexander are going to start, no?

WMD
01-31-2008, 08:27 PM
I just meant that he could slide there if necessary.. Versatility never hurts.

wingboy2999
01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
I just meant that he could slide there if necessary.. Versatility never hurts.

I'll slide into your mom if necessary. She's very versatile.

TacticaLion
01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
theres isnt a MLB that is good enough to be taken at 15. We could get equal value or close to with our second round pick for a MLB so why not get someone else at 15

Disagree completely. I think Connor is a great talent and is definitely worth taking at 15. He is better than any other MLB in the draft... why wait and take a lesser prospect in a later round instead of taking him a few picks higher than projected?

And, why not get someone else at 15? The only other positions I can see us taking, CB and DE, can both wait. Cover 2 CBs don't need to be incredible, and pure pass-rushing DEs can be found later in the draft. I'd want to take a CB in round 2, but don't see the need to take one in round 1.

In other words, I think a stud MLB will do more for our defense than a stud CB.

Whitebull
02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
People question Otah's intensity and work ethic. Rod Marinelli isn't going to pick a guy like that. Maybe what we've read is totally wrong and he's got great football character, but if we go off what we have been told by the scouts/insiders, he's not gonna get picked by the Lions.

Other areas of the defense (MLB and CB, to be more specific) are in shambles and need immediate help.

The best way to help those areas, by far, is with a pass-rush.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
The best way to help those areas, by far, is with a pass-rush.
Umm... no.

A good defense can get to the QB... a great defense has an answer when the rush doesn't get there. Would Chi be the same without Urlacher? Nope. Without Urlacher, I doubt the Bears make the playoffs last year.

Lets take a look at the Bears and their pass-rushing DEs:

Adewale Ogunleye - Undrafted.
Alex Brown - 4th Round.
Mark Anderson - 5th Round (12 sacks as a rookie)

I'd much rather have a great LB group, a solid secondary and a good pass-rush than a horrible LB group, a weak secondary and a great pass-rush. The elite teams in the NFL can game plan against a pass-rusher... or run a max protect.

Remember the Eagles game? They ran max protect the entire game... and, our secondary couldn't do anything to stop them. Yeah... isn't a hard decision for our opponent to make... stop the pass-rush and dominate the game.

WMD
02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah, so teams sometimes get lucky drafting DE's later on.. We've drafted a couple late DE's and they didn't turn out.. Bill Swancutt and Jon Goddard.. We need a pass rush, and we need to draft someone with a higher chance of giving that to us.. and not hope that things just click for that Round 5 DE and he produces for us.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, so teams sometimes get lucky drafting DE's later on.. We've drafted a couple late DE's and they didn't turn out.. Bill Swancutt and Jon Goddard.. We need a pass rush, and we need to draft someone with a higher chance of giving that to us.. and not hope that things just click for that Round 5 DE and he produces for us.Yep. Got lucky... or, knew exactly how to build the defense.

Either way, it wont happen. The team wont spend a 1st round pick at a position that they thought they addressed last year. And, I agree with them.

Prowler
02-01-2008, 03:05 PM
rivers would be a godsend but for the position we're in i'll go..
1. harvey
2. conner
3. talib-i see a "slow"(how is 4.5 and real different than 4.4?) playmaking ballhawk with good size and hopefully he tests out nicely at the combine
i prefer him to the rest who just remind me of fernando bryant

as for the tackles that are left at our spot...what's the huge difference between waiting for otah to develop as opposed to nicks or a 2nd or 3rd round tackle? besides the considerable amount of money and talent invested in that high of a pick?

as for the top runners, mendenhall i love but i gotta go with my hometown tj duckett at RB, just give him a chance detroit

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 03:07 PM
as for the top runners, mendenhall i love but i gotta go with my hometown tj duckett at RB, just give him a chance detroit
Duckett had a chance last year, performed well, and should be resigned.

Aside from the position order, I agree with the rest.