PDA

View Full Version : Chargers with the 27th Pick Select...

Thunder&Lightning
01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Which area should the chargers lean towards?

sdpads24
01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Im gonna say we pick Reggie Smith out of Oklahoma. He would be a perfect nickel corner for us right now with Florence probably gone and could possibly be our free safety of the future.

defensiveback23
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I think we end up picking a DB or OT. A lot of it depends on how they feel about Paul Oliver and Cletis Gordon. I think Gordon has the ideal tools to play nickel. He is a great athlete with promise but he hasn't really done anything yet. I'd definitely like to see him get a legitimate shot. Oliver is kind of an enigma and I don't think, if the rumors are true, his move to safety will effect the team's draft plans. He has great hands, good tackling and is very physical, good speed for a safety and has enough size, but it is impossible to know how he'll react to a position switch. If there is one thing we know about AJ Smith it is that he likes to have depth and perceives future needs. I think the Chargers will stick with that philosophy covering all their bases and select a player with the versatility to play both corner and safety. Hopefully Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and/or Reggie Smith make it to 27.

From what I have seen, Jeromy Clary leaves something to be desired as a RT. Its no secret the Chargers like to run to the left side and I think that it would be nice to select a dominant right tackle prospect to finally put an end to any oline worries. If we pick a guy like Gosder Cherilus who can dominate both in the run and passing game we wouldn't even have to think about drafting oline (except maybe a center) for a while. Clary and Olivea would provide great depth at both OT and G and either one of them or Mruczkowski will be able to take over for Goff once he leaves.

Average OT LB
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
We should create a Chargers draft big board.. ranking in order the guys we would want .. try and get a consensus.. then see what happens in the draft

sdpads24
01-29-2008, 10:30 PM
We should create a Chargers draft big board.. ranking in order the guys we would want .. try and get a consensus.. then see what happens in the draft

Who would be #1? Jake Long? Kenny Phillips?

sidvicious68330
01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Tom Zbikowski: Would be great for the chargers, he had a great senior bowl week of practice and a great game. We got to see how well he can play when he has good corner's to work with. He would allow Eric Weddle to move to FS (a better fit for him IMO, being that he is a natural ballhawk), and provide an upgrade over Clinton Hart, being that he is faster and a better overall athlete. Once is drops a sub 4.5 fourty (my prediction is a 4.43) he should be a lock for the late first round.

San Diego Chicken
01-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Tom Zbikowski: Would be great for the chargers, he had a great senior bowl week of practice and a great game. We got to see how well he can play when he has good corner's to work with. He would allow Eric Weddle to move to FS (a better fit for him IMO, being that he is a natural ballhawk), and provide an upgrade over Clinton Hart, being that he is faster and a better overall athlete. Once is drops a sub 4.5 fourty (my prediction is a 4.43) he should be a lock for the late first round.

This might just be irrational Notre Dame hate, but if the Chargers draft Tommy Z anywhere before the sixth or seventh round, I'll be pissed off and probably throw whatever is in my hand.

bergo23
01-30-2008, 05:17 AM
I think the Dark Horse at #27 would be Carl Nicks. He is the kind of Road Grader that would move this Oline into the elite category. It would be the kind of pick that would extend LT's dominance and Rivers protection appreciably. I really think Nicks could be a better run blocker than Cherilus, and a tick below in the pass game.

The DB idea's are all good candidates at #27, maybe DeJuan Morgan of SC State who Mayock thinks is a better prospect than the hyped Kenny Phillips.

One thing I am sure of, AJ will hit at least a standup double with this pick (like Buster Davis pick last year who will be solid).....but more likely hit one out of the park!

LonghornsLegend
01-30-2008, 10:36 AM
it would be pretty sick to have both cromartie's at db though, and aj smith has said before he loves having 3 corners and he could be very tempted since he's seen first hand the upside and potential the other cromartie had...just seems like a pick that be hard for him to pass up, especially with them being cousins, i dont think there was a huge need for antonio either but its payed off

Average OT LB
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Who would be #1? Jake Long? Kenny Phillips?

Yeah i guess we should include everyone right even if they would be unrealistic. Thats the only way it would be a true Big Board.

It'd be
Phillips
Jake Long
Clady
Otah
Cherilus
Mike Jenkins
Mckelvin
Rodgers-Cromartie
Reggie Smith
Sam Baker

I just did a quick top 10 to get it started..

JK17
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
The only positions I would really hate to see taken in the first round are RB, QB, WR. I wouldn't really want a LB, because I like the guys we have already, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. I would however, like to see us look for a strong OL, specifically RT prospect like a Cherilus, or whoever is available, or looking at the other side of the ball, a safety who can play opposite weddle in the future, or a nickel CB, as I agree with AJ it's very important, especially if we will be facing offenses like Indy and NE, to have three strong CB's who can cover. Depth on the DL wouldn't be a terrible thing for us either.

KRS1
01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I think my big board would look something like this...

Phillips
Clady
Ellis/Dorsey
Cromartie
McKelvin
Jenkins
Smith
Cherilus
Baker
Jones

I would love Phillips, DRC and McKelvin most for our team. Clady, Ellis and Dorsey are only there for me because of their value. Realistically I think DRC, Smith, Cherilus and Baker may be there. If all those players are gone I would probably go with Felix Jones (with Michael Turner leaving and LT's age factor) or another O-Line RT type.

Another guy I could see making it in there depending on how he grades out with AJ Smith and Buddy Nix could be Red Bryant the DT from Texas AM. To me he looks like Jamal Williams pt. 2. Depending how he grades out at the combine he might be a name you start seeing slip into the first round.

I REALLY don't buy any of the Kentwan Balmer hype. He doesn't seem to fit this team at all unless they plan on replaceing Igor Olshansky and I seriously don't see that happening after his 2007.

Thunder&Lightning
01-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I think my big board would look something like this...

Phillips
Clady
Ellis/Dorsey
Cromartie
McKelvin
Jenkins
Smith
Cherilus
Baker
Jones

I would love Phillips, DRC and McKelvin most for our team. Clady, Ellis and Dorsey are only there for me because of their value. Realistically I think DRC, Smith, Cherilus and Baker may be there. If all those players are gone I would probably go with Felix Jones (with Michael Turner leaving and LT's age factor) or another O-Line RT type.

Another guy I could see making it in there depending on how he grades out with AJ Smith and Buddy Nix could be Red Bryant the DT from Texas AM. To me he looks like Jamal Williams pt. 2. Depending how he grades out at the combine he might be a name you start seeing slip into the first round.

I REALLY don't buy any of the Kentwan Balmer hype. He doesn't seem to fit this team at all unless they plan on replaceing Igor Olshansky and I seriously don't see that happening after his 2007.

WHAT HAPPENED TO JAKE LONG??

KRS1
01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
WHAT HAPPENED TO JAKE LONG??

I guess I just don't see Long playing RT. With McNeil pretty much cementing himself there for good, I assume we would look at RT and Clady spent a whole season there in college and Long only played a few games on the right side. Not trying to slight Jake Long in the slightest trust me. I'm just thinking in terms of players I would covet most if I were in the Chargers FO.

Thunder&Lightning
01-31-2008, 06:56 AM
I guess I just don't see Long playing RT. With McNeil pretty much cementing himself there for good, I assume we would look at RT and Clady spent a whole season there in college and Long only played a few games on the right side. Not trying to slight Jake Long in the slightest trust me. I'm just thinking in terms of players I would covet most if I were in the Chargers FO.

Well said, good point.

Thunder&Lightning
02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
im seeing rivers in the picture now any chance...?

sdpads24
02-10-2008, 05:29 PM
im seeing rivers in the picture now any chance...?

I don't think Rivers fits our system at all. He is way too undersizd to play OLB in the 3-4

defensiveback23
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I like Rivers and he would be great inside filling Donnie's old role. The problem with the fit is I think ILB is a strength and does not need to be addressed at all in the draft. Cooper played at a very high level and has potential future probowls ahead of him. I am a big fan of Wilhelm also and the defense really suffered when he was hurt. It allowed way more yards and the pass defense up the middle was terrible. He has some playmaker in him also as he seems to get a fair amount of picks. They are both young and are out of position on occasion but they are only going to get better.

Our backups also have talent and could make some noise. Everyone likes Siler but I'm not sold on him being more than a two down thumper and great special teamer. Dobbins is pretty much in the exact same boat as Siler, although he has great strait line speed. Both of these guys definitely have the ability to be more than two down players and special teamers and there is a reason the team has been so high on them. I think the real wild card and potential bigtime player is Waters. As much as I like Wilhelm, I think it is only a matter of time before Waters supplants him.

Last year I thought the only way we would have drafted an ILB in the first would have been if Jon Beason fell to us. There isn't a LB in this draft that is in his class. Cooper and Wilhelm fulfilled and surpassed many expectations of them. The position has been solidified enough that even if Waters never develops we won't need to consider drafting an ILB high for a long time.

zdh87
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I think safety is now out of the picture with Clinton Hart being resigned to a 5 year deal. Clearly, AJ and Norv like him with Eric Weddle in the future. I think this shows the clear option as Gosder Cherilus.

ChefMike
04-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I think safety is now out of the picture with Clinton Hart being resigned to a 5 year deal. Clearly, AJ and Norv like him with Eric Weddle in the future. I think this shows the clear option as Gosder Cherilus.

Heard a good idea for the Chargers today.. Trade your 2nd rder to Miami for Jason Taylor...now with the impact Jason Taylor could make with Merriman on the other side and the impact it could have on your young secondary... puts you ahead of Indy in my opinion then you have to go Offense wither OL or WR in the 1st.

Your Defense would rival that of the Ravens or the Patriots and will make the Chargers scary...

defensiveback23
04-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Heard a good idea for the Chargers today.. Trade your 2nd rder to Miami for Jason Taylor...now with the impact Jason Taylor could make with Merriman on the other side and the impact it could have on your young secondary... puts you ahead of Indy in my opinion then you have to go Offense wither OL or WR in the 1st.

Your Defense would rival that of the Ravens or the Patriots and will make the Chargers scary...

I'm sorry but that is a terrible idea. Even if we had a 2nd we wouldn't waste it on a two year rental of a player who, in my opinion, is not an upgrade over Shaun Phillips. We also do not need a WR and I'd be surprised if one was drafted at all this year.

Thunder&Lightning
04-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Ya that would be a pretty bad idea. We dont need Taylor and he has probably 2 decent years left in his tank. No chance we draft WR this year either. AJ just traded for one (chambers) and we have 2 other promising WR's in Jackson and Davis...