PDA

View Full Version : Would the Vikings take DeSean Jackson or Reggie Smith?

DraftKidWonder
01-29-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm looking at this situation and I can't settle it. I said Jackson by A HAIR because Tarvaris Jackson, Adrian Peterson, and Sidney Rice with this guy would be explosive.

bored of education
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Maybe. This is an odd question. Would Kansas City take Jake Long or Sedrick Ellis.

Take it to the team forums, they might help you more there.

Vikes99ej
01-29-2008, 07:36 PM
I think we would take Reggie Smith, but I like both of them.

DraftKidWonder
01-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Maybe. This is an odd question. Would Kansas City take Jake Long or Sedrick Ellis.

Take it to the team forums, they might help you more there.
I'd say Long because the Cheifs line is HORRIBLE. They need to protect Croyle and Johnson.

bored of education
01-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah i would say Smith for the Vikes. Need some secondary help. But They need to establish a push rush too

Thunder&Lightning
01-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Reggie Smith, sharper getting old and they already need help in the secondary. Sidney Rice showed this year he can be good, see if vikings can get lucky having a WR fall to them in the 2nd round.

MetSox17
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
im a pretty big vikes fan.. and im one of the many that questions tarvaris jackson's chance to become a good player.. they need WR and DE help baadd, but i dont think i would be any happier if they could get joe flacco in the 2nd round

Kid_Ego
01-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I dont see them taking either in draft truthfully. I think Childress has shown in the past he will take the best overall player in the first round. But I honestly dont see them addressing wide out again with a young player I think they will address it in F/A. I could see them pursing a de in free agency but saftys are a dime a dozen in free agency I could see them even maybe moving Winfield to safty if they had too

foozball
01-29-2008, 09:37 PM
this year's WR depth is pretty deep. they can get someone later. but the safety depth is pretty weak so they'll go with smith or phillips IMO.

urinemonkey
01-29-2008, 09:39 PM
yes they would

and I don't see Phillips getting past the Broncos (at least I hope so)

Kid_Ego
01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Well if phillps were there Im pretty sure he would constitute the best available player

etk
01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Reggie Smith. The Vikings are a weird team in that they have many minor needs and question marks but no glaring holes to draft. Teams like that piss me off in mock drafts.

Kid_Ego
01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Uhm no glaring needs?
do the numbers 9 tds 12 ints mean anything at all to you
LMAO
that would be a glaring need

etk
01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Uhm no glaring needs?
do the numbers 9 tds 12 ints mean anything at all to you
LMAO
that would be a glaring need

I like Tarvaris Jackson, if that's who you're referring to.

Kid_Ego
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Im sure hes a great guy. But he isnt the answer at qb. when defenses put 10 guys in the box and your coach still wont let you throw the ball or your not smart enough to audible I dont see you as being part of the solution more part of the problem

MetSox17
01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Im sure hes a great guy. But he isnt the answer at qb. when defenses put 10 guys in the box and your coach still wont let you throw the ball or your not smart enough to audible I dont see you as being part of the solution more part of the problem

ditto.
vince young type
except with out the winning record

Kid_Ego
01-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Well Jackson is 8-4 as a starter but i really thing if you look at those games the very best you could say is jackson didnt lose the game. More then saying that he won the games.

I guess Im a guy who thinks that if he is the best qb on the team he will win the job and if hes scared of competition then there is probably a reason for that.

MetSox17
01-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Well Jackson is 8-4 as a starter but i really thing if you look at those games the very best you could say is jackson didnt lose the game. More then saying that he won the games.

I guess Im a guy who thinks that if he is the best qb on the team he will win the job and if hes scared of competition then there is probably a reason for that.

well yeah, you can say he's your best shot at winning, but with kelly holcomb and brooks bollinger back there, that's not saying a whole lot.
i would have loved to see Derek Anderson in a Vikes uni.. if the browns cant get him signed, i'd be more than glad to give up my first for him

sidvicious68330
01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Neither, they should take Jordy Nelson, they need a big, strong, fast receiver with great hands, Jackson is to small and will be another Sinorice Moss in the NFL. Being that Tavaris Jackson is not the most accurate QB, Nelson will be able to adjust to poorly thrown balls much better then Jackson and is much harder to bring down. All Desean Jackson has on Nelson is that he is quicker off the line of scrimmage, Nelson has him beat in every other catagory. After Nelson's showing at the senior bowl, all he has to do now is run a sub 4.5 and he will soar up draft boards.

MNRunLeft
01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Chilly has come out and said he doesn't believe in drafting a WR in round 1, but I don't know what his stance on that would be if indeed the Vikings had a WR as BPA at their selection.

I think Reggie Smith would be a great addition to the Vikings with his ability to play CB or S. He's like Dwight Smith without the pot and "consensual horseplay" in the stairwell of a night club. Not to mention that the Vikings have no youth and no depth at the S position with Doss and Tank both being FA's. I dream of Kenny Phillips, but I won't complain about Smith.

foozball
01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
i think they should take a big WR in the 2nd or 3rd to move the chains and let AD and Chester make the big plays. tarvaris is not a deep threat as a QB so why draft a deep threat WR?

brat316
01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
jackson, then you could have a good duo of Jackson to Jackson or double Js.

Vikes99ej
01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Neither, they should take Jordy Nelson, they need a big, strong, fast receiver with great hands, Jackson is to small and will be another Sinorice Moss in the NFL. Being that Tavaris Jackson is not the most accurate QB, Nelson will be able to adjust to poorly thrown balls much better then Jackson and is much harder to bring down. All Desean Jackson has on Nelson is that he is quicker off the line of scrimmage, Nelson has him beat in every other catagory. After Nelson's showing at the senior bowl, all he has to do now is run a sub 4.5 and he will soar up draft boards.

Not with the first round pick I'm assuming.

MetSox17
01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Not with the first round pick I'm assuming.

i think it would be a reach if he doesnt run under a 4.50 40 to take him in the first.. but i really really doubt he would be there when the vikes pick in the 2nd

Cunningham
01-30-2008, 12:23 AM
nelson is not a fast receiver nor will he be drafted in the first round. plus the vikings already have their jump ball, soft hands type of receiver in sidney rice whom jackson would be a good speed complement to.

wogitalia
01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm not a big fan of a WR in the first, it's one of the very few things that I agree with Childress about. I mean Rice looked as good last year as any first rounder not named Bowe and has as much potential as any not named Johnson.

I think the 2nd or even the 3rd is the WR range for the Vikes and if I was to try and make a mock that is where the WR would fall. It is an obvious and glaring hole, but I dont think the guys you get at 17 are worth the risk they present, basically they either have character issues or are from a bigger program than the guys who go in the 2nd.

I think safety is the biggest need. We really have an awful pair of safeties. We have 4 solid backup safeties right now, so keep two of those and get 2 starters really needs to be the plan but I don't really like any safety outside Phillips in the first round this year and I just don't see how he falls to 17.

I think we would be stupid to pass on Rivers if he fell. Ditto for either Dorsey or Ellis but I can't see anyway any of them fall to us either.

That basically leaves DE or OT of our obvious needs. McKinnie gives us the bonus of basically being able to pick either a RT or LT but I would certainly prefer a legit LT and move McKinnie to the right. Then we would have a very strong OL with only really RG as even a partial weakness. McKinnie at LT is a problem in the pass game because he just can't block quick players.

DE is interesting, we really need a pure pass rush guy, Udeze actually plays the run really well, he just doesn't get a consistent enough push on pass plays. Can't bank on James ever getting healthy, from here on he is just a bonus, if he gets healthy it's great, but plan as though he wont. Robison looks solid, I think with a couple more years development he really could be a Kampman type, he has a great motor but we need DE help.

To be honest though I would like to trade out of the first. Unless Gholston, Dorsey, Long, Long, Ellis, Rivers or Phillips is still there Im not sure the value is there. I quite like several of the other OT prospects also, but I'm not sold on them either. If we could do something similar to Dallas last year or even better New England, and possibly pick up say a 2nd and a 1st next year, I think it would be ideal but I can't really see the prospect that falls to create that situation either.

Going to be a tough draft, I still think we messed up by winning games late in the year, just didn't help us at all, if we pick 8th for example we get a legit guy who probably puts us in the playoffs for real next year, as it is we are picking in the worst section of the draft where the value does not equal the cost.

Kid_Ego
01-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Whats the story on the kid from purdue Edwards how long is he suspended for because I really thought this kid could pass rush. To me with edwards and robinson on passing down and it changes our pass rush completely. I agree on the saftys but i dont see any reason to draft one with a reach. Trading down makes the most sense unless someone falls and we can use the threes to trade up.

Im still not sold on the qb situation and safty wo and dl can all be addreseed in the F/A

sidvicious68330
01-30-2008, 09:57 AM
nelson is not a fast receiver nor will he be drafted in the first round. plus the vikings already have their jump ball, soft hands type of receiver in sidney rice whom jackson would be a good speed complement to.

For the record, he has been timed at 10.6 in the 100 meter dash in high school, so i would imagine that he has improved upon that time with 5 years of maturning & weight training. Just as a reference, Ten Ginn Jr. ran a 10.5 and his speed does not get questioned. So hold off on those "he is not a fast receiver" assumptions. Once he gets timed at the combine, and shows that for his size, that he has braylen edwards type speed (mid 4.4), he will be a very viable option for the vikes in the first round.

Vikes99ej
01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
For the record, he has been timed at 10.6 in the 100 meter dash in high school, so i would imagine that he has improved upon that time with 5 years of maturning & weight training. Just as a reference, Ten Ginn Jr. ran a 10.5 and his speed does not get questioned. So hold off on those "he is not a fast receiver" assumptions. Once he gets timed at the combine, and shows that for his size, that he has braylen edwards type speed (mid 4.4), he will be a very viable option for the vikes in the first round.

JORDYZZZ NELSONZZZZ ZOMG!!!

Patriots16-0
01-30-2008, 10:02 AM
I think this should be in Team Boards, right?

DraftKidWonder
01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I think this should be in Team Boards, right?
I'm a Packers fan so... NO!

TyronePoole38
01-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Jackson isn't a good fit for the WCO

Vikes99ej
01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Going to be a tough draft, I still think we messed up by winning games late in the year, just didn't help us at all, if we pick 8th for example we get a legit guy who probably puts us in the playoffs for real next year, as it is we are picking in the worst section of the draft where the value does not equal the cost.

I'll take winning games over draft position any day of the week.

etk
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Jackson isn't a good fit for the WCO

You'd think the Head Coach that drafted him would know how well he fit the WCO when he took him. He fits exactly what Childress looks for from his QBs, he just needs to develop. Keep in mind that every WCO is different, i.e. Jackson wouldn't fit in Tampa.

All this assuming you meant T. Jackson not D.

foozball
01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

nelson destroying aqib talib

MidwayMonster31
01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Another NELSONZZZ thread.
Anyway, the biggest problem I saw with Minnesota was the pass rush. The reason they had one of the worst pass defenses was because no one ran on them and there was no pass rush, especially since James got hurt again. There are good defensive ends in free agency, so they can address the need that way. Tampa-2 teams can always find good secondary players later in the draft. Charles Godfrey could be a good fit for them in the 3rd round.
So between those two, it would be Jackson because they have to have someone to stretch the field and run after the catch.

brat316
01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
they need Limas Sweed.

Iamcanadian
01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
It will all come down to how they rate each player and where they stand on their draft board. Saying this guy or that guy before even the pros have had the combine is impossible.

foozball
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
1 DE calais campbell
2 WR jordy nelson
3 S thomas decoud/quintin demps

pass rush- check
big receiver with speed- check
safety- check

im not a big fan of decoud, but apparently everyone is all over his jock so he'd probably be the best safety available on most boards. i think quintin demps would be a better fit because of his coverage ability, but whatever.

KCJ58
02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Chad Johnson>DeSean Jackson>Malcolm Kelly>Reggie Smith>

diabsoule
02-01-2008, 12:08 AM
This is a team forum discussion.

Vikes99ej
02-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Chad Johnson>DeSean Jackson>Malcolm Kelly>Reggie Smith>

Chad Johnson will never be on the Vikings as long as Childress is coach.

vikes_28
02-01-2008, 12:04 PM
id go with smith here. we need help in our crappy secondary

brat316
02-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Why take either D. Jackson can't play D, and Reggie Smith can't play Offense

BUT....

JORDYZZZz NElson can do it all.

If you take D. Jackson than look for Williamson to get cut, you pretty much end up having to the same guys, sometimes not bad but in this case you don't want it. Also Childress and Reid follow the same strategy so NO WR in the first unless it is JORDYZZZ NElson

giver17
02-01-2008, 04:32 PM
first off, i am praying for williamson to get cut. however, I am likeing jordy more and more and more. I hope he is there for our second, and we go DE/S first and TE 3rd

bdlyons26
02-17-2008, 04:40 AM
lol y are u looking at def. when we need a qb... everyone thinks they are content at qb omg when you complete only 30 percent of passes 7 yards or more and have like 2 td and 14 int its time for a change! if flacos still there dont' be suprised if they take him!

Crazy_Chris
02-17-2008, 05:14 AM
The Vikings are not going to take Joe Flacco at #17. Maybe in round 3 if he's still available but definatly not round 1.

The Dynasty
02-17-2008, 05:57 PM
lol y are u looking at def. when we need a qb... everyone thinks they are content at qb omg when you complete only 30 percent of passes 7 yards or more and have like 2 td and 14 int its time for a change! if flacos still there dont' be suprised if they take him!

Look at the Receivers. Troy "I drop everything" Williamson and a 3rd option WR at best in Bobby Wade and Ferguson.

Your blaming Tarvaris for not being able to make completions to them? Come On man. Only Brady and Manning could win with them. No way we take QB in Round 1. We have so much bigger needs then another QB to wait on for 2 years before we have a chance to the playoffs when Tarvaris almost took us there by just not messing up when it got tough.

bdlyons26
02-18-2008, 03:57 AM
ok ya i think i was asleep when i wrote that..... but i do think a qb in the 3-6 round is a smart choice b/c i dont' see t.j. panning out but not a qb especially flacco in the first!

Crazy_Chris
02-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Why is T-jack not panning out?... The expectations some people have for a young QB amaze me. They aren't supposed to play well early on it's completely normal. Tarvaris progressed and got better as the season went on thats all you can really look for in a young QB. bdlysons26, how do you feel about Vince Young, Matt Lienart, Kellen Clemens, and Brodie Croyle? Because if you feel Tarvaris won't pan out surely you feel that same about them.

swagger
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
This might be a stretch, but I wouldn't mind pigeon-holing the 17th overall pick to a safety. Kenny Phillips or Reggie Smith, preferrably Phillips if he falls. Safeties have the lowest bust rate, and I think either would really bolster our pass defense. Sharper and Smith are terrible in zones.

With our 2nd and two 3rd round picks, I really like the possible combinations of WR-TE. While I wouldn't mind DeSean Jackson at 17, I'd much prefer a safety and then taking advantage of the depth of the receivers and tight ends.

That's my take.

crazyisme
02-18-2008, 11:04 PM
i whole heartedly agree Swags....and also, you could throw DE in there as well, Jackson or Ellis could be good 2nd round options for us as well.

Ive been wanting a great playmaking safety for like 3 years now, lol, hopefully ill get my wish this year with Phillips :)

NFLCommander
02-22-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't think a Jackson to Jackson connection is going to help the offense. The defense needs a pass rushing DE more than the offense needs a WR. The WR would end up being under utilized anyway with the poor QBs we have, especially that waste Tarvaris. A good DE would benefit way more with having the Williams Bros taking up 3 to 4 O-linemen up every play allowing him to get after the passer. A DE would also help the coverage to by making opposing QBs get rid of the ball faster causing more turnovers.

To answer the initial question I'd say Reggie Smith because our FS position just went vaccant and DeSean Jackson is way undersized.

Vikes99ej
02-22-2008, 06:49 PM
How about both? Smith in the first and Jackson in the second!

giver17
02-22-2008, 11:28 PM
i would love to see a S/DE in the first and jordy nelson in the second. I am a big fan of him. great hands.

Vikes99ej
02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
i would love to see a S/DE in the first and jordy nelson in the second. I am a big fan of him. great hands.

Nelson?! Maybe in the fourth thru seventh. Wait until the WRs run their times.