PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Bash---Spring Game Concerts

kwilk103
01-29-2008, 08:03 PM
thought you might be interested

When 92,000 fans showed up for a spring football scrimmage at the University of Alabama last April-yes, you read that correctly, a practice game-athletics officials everywhere started wondering how they could entice their fans to do the same.

Now they have an answer: "Gridiron Bash."

Over the next few weeks, at least 16 big-time football programs, including the University of Tennessee, Texas A&M University, and West Virginia University, will begin selling tickets to a mid-April series of events designed to generate revenue and show recruits and fans a good time.

The concept, created by MSLSports and Entertainment, a sports-marketing company based in New York, guarantees participating athletics departments at least $300,000 for promoting a Friday-night concert and Saturday football game. But colleges should bring in far more-anywhere from $1-million to $1.8-million-Shawn Garrity, MSL's president, said in an interview on Thursday.

Big basketball programs have long capitalized on preseason excitement through "Midnight Madness" events every October, when fans fill up arenas to watch the teams' first practice. But athletics officials in big football programs see more revenue opportunities around spring football games.

For one thing, football stadiums are capable of accommodating tens of thousands more fans. And major concert acts will probably be an even bigger draw, athletics officials say. So far MSL has lined up Dwight Yoakam, Fergie, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, and ZZ Top. The company has also had conversations with Kanye West, Kid Rock, and Kiss.

Tickets to the weekend package of activities will cost $35. Athletics programs will also raise money by charging for parking, food and beverages, and merchandise.

And the college that attracts the most fans, and receives the most votes in a fan-popularity contest, will receive a $1-million contribution to its general scholarship fund. Second and third place get $500,000 and $250,000, respectively.

Army, Colorado (Counting Crows), Kansas State, Kentucky, Penn State (Fergie), Rutgers, Tennessee, Texas A&M and West Virginia have signed up to take part.

http://www.gridironbash.com/

BuddyCHRIST
01-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Bleh, sounds lame to me. I mean I guess its cool for a concert at the school but they always sound like crap at stadiums.

andyjo672
02-02-2008, 08:41 PM
What college kids are going to see Dwigh Yoakum? I dont know a lot of people would go see Fergie either, its good drunk dance party music, not really get me excited for football concert music...Kelly Clarkson, is she still around? Same goes for Kid Rock...

Really the only one that I could see being even somewhat cool is Kanye West...come to Wisconsin Kanye.

kwilk103
02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
wvu got suck with dwight yoakam

this sucks; i was looking forward to this; im just gonna pay the $5 to go to the game

iowatreat54
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
umm Iowa got Kelly Clarkson...while many girls may go, it really makes it hard to get excited about football...

kwilk103
02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
i'd rather go see kelly clarkson than dwight yoakam

TheMikey10
02-03-2008, 01:37 AM
i cant believe that counting crows would perform at NOT cal, duritz goes to all the home games and stands on the field.

kwilk103
02-03-2008, 01:42 AM
cal wasnt one of the participating schools

YAYareaRB
02-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Cal would have a pretty BADASS show being so close to the Bay Area and all.

bwillie26
02-05-2008, 04:59 AM
wvu got suck with dwight yoakam

this sucks; i was looking forward to this; im just gonna pay the $5 to go to the game

Yoakam is local, being born in Pikeville, Kentucky which isn't too far from West Virginia. So you can pretty much understand why he got picked for WVU.

oregonbucfan
02-05-2008, 05:01 AM
cal wasnt one of the participating schools

yeah the concert may kill a tree

Brent
02-05-2008, 10:29 AM
ZZ Top is coming here? Lame, all their songs sound the same.

DChess
02-06-2008, 01:39 AM
******* lame. so disappointing