PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson needs to GO

Bengals1690
01-30-2008, 03:51 PM
He is seriously pissing me off. Today on NFL Live they asked him if he wanted to be traded. He wouldn't say "no". He said, "I want to go wherever i have a chance to make the playoffs". Trey Wingo said, "Do you think you have that in Cincinnati?" Chad smiled and said, "Next question."

This is serious ********. I don't know about you all, but I think Chad took this completely overboard. IDK who even is saying stuff that is making him mad. But if the face of our franchise doesn't want to be here and is going to act like this, get him the hell out. Trade him for Shaun Rodgers (and maybe a draft pick or two). Having Rodgers would actually make our team better, unlike Chad, who all he does is put the Bengals on Sportscenter. I'm sure Housh and Henry would be able to manage.

KCJ58
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
yea he wants to leave Cincy but where to trade and for what?

Bengals1690
01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
yea he wants to leave Cincy but where to trade and for what?
shaun rodgers. idk if it would work, and im not making up any trade offers because i have no idea of the value of Chad and whos on the block. I just do not want him in black and orange next year.

PalmerToCJ
01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I think he's got high teens-low 20's value. Teams with WR as a need..

#17 Minnesota
#19 Philadelphia (doubtful)
#20 Tampa Bay
#21 Washington
#24 Tennessee

I think one of them would work, Tampa and Washington seem the most likely.

I supported Chad and didn't feel he would be gone but after what he's been saying this week it's clear that freaking Rosenhaus is telling him what to say to get out of here.

He's not even our most important WR so he can be gone.

themaninblack
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
ya that just crossed the line. theres a difference between being frustrated and disrespecting your team.

Patriots16-0
01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Titans get Chad Johnson
Bengals get 24th overall

Simple.

PalmerToCJ
01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
DEAL!

I saw the actual video of him saying it, VERY disrespectful. Chad's always been fun but this crossed the line.

How can he come back? You say only two of the players have your back and you don't think the team can go to the playoffs.

I'm done with him, he has a lot of back tracking if he wants to be accepted here again.

PalmerToCJ
01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Reached by The Enquirer on his cell phone in Phoenix, Johnson said: “I haven’t spoken to you all year. Why you calling my (expletive) phone? Why you calling my phone?

“I don’t care what you heard on the radio.”

Classy... That an saying he'd love to be on basically every team other than the Bengals. That and he'd like to be traded to teams with a chance to win like the Panthers and Dolphins (he even said him and 89 would give him a good comob... Way to acknowledge TJ).

He's trash to me now, can't leave soon enough. He's turned his back on everyone, fans like myself who have defended him.

Rich Jr
01-31-2008, 10:32 PM
yea he wants to leave Cincy but where to trade and for what?New Orleans..What do you want..

BTW, he's in his 30's he won't get a 1st round pick. 2nd probably.

PalmerToCJ
02-01-2008, 12:15 AM
New Orleans..What do you want..

If he is traded, it should be for a first and I'm sure someone will pay it. Chambers got a second and he's had ONE 1,000 yard recieving year and he's a few months younger than CJ.

Chad has been 30 for a whole 1/2 month anyway, he's got tons of good football ahead of him (well, depending on who his QB is).

themaninblack
02-01-2008, 12:21 AM
i think were gonna be stuck with him this year regardless. I'm not gonna go burnin my CJ jersey just yet. If he is still CJ this year and what we've heard is just frustration talking then I'm all for him coming back until his contract is up and maybe longer. But he better be damn near perfect IMO.

LonghornsLegend
02-01-2008, 12:25 AM
New Orleans..What do you want..

Chad is going to get a first off someone, washington or philly come to mind as teams who could make that deal in no problem

PalmerToCJ
02-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Jay Glazer is saying Chad was approaching other teams coaches asking them to get him out of Cincinnati at games last season. What a joke.

I liked this quote, granted it's early and I doubt it happens:

So while the team’s options are limited, discipline can be imposed. And a league source with knowledge of the dynamics of the Bengals front office predicts that the current situation could eventually result in a T.O.-style feud.

“Mike Brown won’t trade him under any circumstances,” the source said. “They will let him sit and rot.”

I think it's just time to cut ties and move on.

lost33cause
02-02-2008, 10:47 AM
You can't cut ties with him so easily. It will cost moore to cut him than it would to keep him and let him rot.

PalmerToCJ
02-02-2008, 11:22 PM
That's why we trade him, take the cap hit and get a 1st rounder.

I'm so done with Chad. Any player who blasts their team needs to be gone, no questions asked. That's how you right the ship, no point in keeping someone if they aren't on board regardless of their talent (he's not out best WR anyway).

Aftermath
02-03-2008, 12:35 AM
That's why we trade him, take the cap hit and get a 1st rounder.

I'm so done with Chad. Any player who blasts their team needs to be gone, no questions asked. That's how you right the ship, no point in keeping someone if they aren't on board regardless of their talent (he's not out best WR anyway).

He is our best reciever as of now.

Untill Henry refines his game.

PalmerToCJ
02-03-2008, 12:21 PM
He is our best reciever as of now.

Untill Henry refines his game.

Who makes more big catches, Chad or TJ?

Those 250 yard games where we win by 20 are great but TJ's making the catches with the game on the line.

farfromforgotten
02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Who makes more big catches, Chad or TJ?

Those 250 yard games where we win by 20 are great but TJ's making the catches with the game on the line.

It is because CJ draws the opposing teams #1 CB that TJ makes so many catches. TJ is good, I like him, but without CJ he wouldnt put up the same numbers. Henry isnt consistent enough to be counted on every week. And I could be wrong here but wasnt it people within the Bengals orginization that first started questioning wether CJ had desire to help the team win or just wanted to be a show boating WR? (i'm a 49ers fan, so I could be wrong on that assumption) Anyways people on the 9ers forum were discussing getting him. There were some who believed that CJ would be nothing without Carson, Rudi and TJ. Which clearly isnt true. He was putting up numbers before they came in to the picture. I believe that they are better players from having CJ around. I would like to have him. I can understand your frustration though. This is just a point of view from someone who is not a die hard Bengals fan.

PalmerToCJ
02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Don't fool yourself, TJ isn't 1 on 1. He's the guy getting decked over the middle in tight coverage that pulls in the catch.

CJ can do the sideline routes like it's his job, him and Palmer have that timing down perfect. He's not nearly as consistant as TJ is. TJ doesn't make the mental mistakes Chad does either. We can replace Chad, it'd be very hard to replace TJ.

themaninblack
02-03-2008, 07:25 PM
according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen Chad is reportedly saying he will refuse to play this season if he is not traded.

GB12
02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
shaun rodgers. idk if it would work, and im not making up any trade offers because i have no idea of the value of Chad and whos on the block. I just do not want him in black and orange next year.
1. That'd be terrible value for you.

2. The Lions need a lot of things, but WR is definitely not one of them

PalmerToCJ
02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Soon I will be the Artist formerly known as PalmerToCJ.

I gotta get it changed to PalmerToTJ lol.

NOSH
02-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Jumping the gun a little, eh? If he won't play then he needs to be traded but if Lewis has refused to talk to him for months then the Bengals turned their back on him and not the other way around. If my coach wouldn't talk to me I'd want out too.

PalmerToCJ
02-04-2008, 01:01 PM
He's getting paid how many millions of dollars? Time to grow a pair and be a man. Plenty of people don't get along with their bosses and deal with it for a whole lot less money.

no love
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
If he is traded, it should be for a first and I'm sure someone will pay it. Chambers got a second and he's had ONE 1,000 yard recieving year and he's a few months younger than CJ.

Chad has been 30 for a whole 1/2 month anyway, he's got tons of good football ahead of him (well, depending on who his QB is).

I think you are really overrating his value on the market. Guys that are disgruntled generally don't fetch as much on the open market as one would expect. Chambers garnered a second round because the Chargers were desperate to make the playoffs and it was going to be a late round pick (so the value is closer to a third). But AJ Smith is a bit more of a gambler than most GM's, so look at that as the exception and not the rule. Roy Williams is getting talk of late 1st/early second and he has more potential than CJ.

Of the teams with a first rounder in the teens, I don't see many of them looking to get CJ. I will look at each team:
#17 Minnesota - They have to develop Sidney Rice and Williamson and Childress is a complete dick who doesn't really put up with anything
#19 Philadelphia - After TO, I doubt it.
#20 Tampa Bay - Joey Galloway and Ike Hilliard both had great years and while they are up there in years, I think they really need to look at finding a new #2 corner.
#21 Washington - They have Moss, Randel El and Lloyd all under contract... I am going to say no.
#24 Tennessee - This is a real possibility, who knows, maybe your team can trade straight up for Pac Man :) jk. I am going to say Fisher builds through the draft, because most of the titans core talent is homegrown.

I think that the best scenario would be to trade him to a coach that is on the hot seat and desperate for a WR. The Niners are an option, though Nolan is a pretty strict guy. Other options could be the second rounders of Kansas City, Oakland, Baltimore (probably not bc of the rival thing), New Orleans, Buffalo or Chicago.

farfromforgotten
02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
He's getting paid how many millions of dollars? Time to grow a pair and be a man. Plenty of people don't get along with their bosses and deal with it for a whole lot less money.

Im not quite understanding something here. Reading your first post it sounds like you are upset at CJ for disrespecting the Bengals, but you would be ok with Coach Lewis and the organization disrespecting CJ first? I dont think this is about money. Being on the outside of the situation we can never fully understand who said what and who started it. We just have to take peoples word for it. All I know is 90+ catches 1200+ yards 10+ tds annually speaks for itself. The Bengals have to win by out scoring the competition, the defense isnt gonna get it done. Losing CJ will set you back. TJ will be blanketed and Palmer will have to force the ball to him. That draft pick wont help out right away.

Aftermath
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Only way i'd trade him is maybe a trade with Denver for Javon Walker and maybe a 4th or so.

Or

Draft Malcolm Kelly.

Thunder&Lightning
02-04-2008, 05:15 PM
they deff need to get rid of this guy. Last thing the bengals need right now is drama. Get rid of him soon and move on.

NOSH
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
He also wants to be on a team that can win. The Bengals D is swiss cheese and has too many holes that can't be filled this offseason. It will be at least another year before they get their team back on track. That could also be a reason for Johnson's frustration.

PalmerToCJ
02-04-2008, 09:33 PM
They're all saying it's about money. Really annoying considering he just got his contract redone last year, just jealous TJ is getting his done.

You say Chad wants to be on a team that wins yet he's talking about the freaking Raiders, Panthers and Dolphins... Please, this is about money and ego. It's the same story that plays out with every dramatic WR.

themaninblack
02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
hopefully a trip to hawaii and some talk with TJ will help him realize what he has here. ive kind of calmed down since his comments were made and i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bengals1690
02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Im not quite understanding something here. Reading your first post it sounds like you are upset at CJ for disrespecting the Bengals, but you would be ok with Coach Lewis and the organization disrespecting CJ first? I dont think this is about money. Being on the outside of the situation we can never fully understand who said what and who started it. We just have to take peoples word for it. All I know is 90+ catches 1200+ yards 10+ tds annually speaks for itself. The Bengals have to win by out scoring the competition, the defense isnt gonna get it done. Losing CJ will set you back. TJ will be blanketed and Palmer will have to force the ball to him. That draft pick wont help out right away.

2 things:

When did the organization disrespect chad?

andns

Since when does chad johnson get 90 catches and 10 touchdowns

farfromforgotten
02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
2 things:

When did the organization disrespect chad?

andns

Since when does chad johnson get 90 catches and 10 touchdowns

It was just a hypothetical question. We cant really say who started it. Which I explained in the post. And its a shame I have to give you CJs numbers seeing you are a Bengals fan.

Last 5 years 462 Catches = 92.4 per year average
43 TDs = 8.6 per year average (you got me there)
6870 Yards = 1374 per year average (I got myself there)

Why the Bengals
02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Chad is Chad. This is what makes him a great receiver. He does not shut up. We can't trade him due to monetary concerns. The offense would suffer greatly without him. Safeties would be in the box more and the running game would suffer. Chad is frustrated. How many of you after losing year in and year out with guys being arrested all over the place would not speak up about it? Chad has passion for the game and wnats to win which I do not know if many in that locker care about.
Look if the Giants can win a Super Bowl there is hope for the Bengals. They are a few defensive plays away from being 10-6 last year. If they do not draft another running back/backup QB in the draft and instead draft young guys with the proper attitude/work ethic this team can compete with the Colts and Pats.

JPLUFF
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM

We'll throw in Jon Kitna too...we know you guys miss him.

farfromforgotten
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Chad is frustrated. How many of you after losing year in and year out with guys being arrested all over the place would not speak up about it? Chad has passion for the game and wnats to win which I do not know if many in that locker care about.

Very well said. This is the feeling I first got when I heard about CJ being upset. You hear from CJ during the season and during games when he is putting on a show, which I think is great by the way. But you dont usually hear about him during the off season when all his teammates are out causing trouble. Which, if I were a Bengals fan, I would have a bigger problem with...
Anyways I am someone who had to put up with TO for several years and maybe im just blind because CJ isnt on my team, but I dont view him the same way as I did TO when he was causing all his trouble with the 9ers.

PalmerToCJ
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Chad's not a leader on this team, he needs to shut his mouth.

IMO... Chad and TO (for the 49ers anyway) are pretty similar at this point, blasting the FO/Coaches/Players publicly. Now, no one will ever top TO in Philly.

Chad's no angel, he... like a majority of NFL players likes the weed but the ones that aren't idiots have ways around it so he stays out of trouble.

I really hope they find a way to get him traded, addition by subtraction... It's time to clean the trash, we'll never do anything until this is done. Deltha O'Neal and Chad are nice steps towards cleaning things up.

smittyjs
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Titans should trade ya'll pacman and a 3rd for him, but he wouldn't be happy in tennessee anyway...LOL

PalmerToCJ
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
lol Pacman is the LAST thing we need.

smittyjs
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Pacman and Herny back together, that would be great.....

PalmerToCJ
02-08-2008, 12:46 AM
I live entirely too close to Cincinnati to feel safe with that happening.

The strippers and drug dealers would be overloaded with work.

themaninblack
02-08-2008, 12:50 AM
idk how those two even played on the same team in college.

Why the Bengals
02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
TEAM PATRIOTS is the one club you never hear complaining otherwise every franchise has these guys like Chad. Even Brady complained he needed weapons last year. When your head coach does not build a winning atmosphere and you lose games you shouldn't problems arise. When your winning bickering does not exist(Giants all of a sudden) when your losing frustration comes out. Chad was told to turn it down this year and he did and what did that do for the team? Nothin let the guy stay he wants to win and losing is killing him.

PalmerToCJ
02-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd never want a teammate back that bashed his team and coach... NEVER.

EDIT: I just heard his interview at the Pro Bowl, there he made sense. Said he was just talking about things that were bothering him, it was the right way to go about things. HOWEVER, they're saying Rosehaus is telling him to lay low now which would completely make sense.

The way he went about things in this interview were very reasonable. Said he was a Bengal, no smarta** remark attached to it.

themaninblack
02-08-2008, 05:22 PM
ha, did you read how the espn article made it sound? they should be sued.

chads gonna be fine.

smittyjs
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
The future....Of the bengals LOL
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

GDWTheSickness
02-09-2008, 12:15 PM
hypothetically speaking, what do you guys as bengals fans expect in return IF he was dealt?

PalmerToCJ
02-09-2008, 05:42 PM
First round, has to be first round.

Early 20's I think is the best case scenario.

Thunder&Lightning
02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
If he is going to go he needs to go soon... His attitude is not helping a team that already has character problems...

Why the Bengals
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
If he does go I can't see getting higher than a late 1sr rounder. However, teams would pay that unless he is the final piece to the puzzle so I would say 2nd realistically.

SaintsFanForLife
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
If he does go I can't see getting higher than a late 1sr rounder. However, teams would pay that unless he is the final piece to the puzzle so I would say 2nd realistically.

I have to agree with you mid to early 2nd is about right.

SaintsFanForLife
02-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I was a big Chad fan but now im tired of his shi**. He claims he is one of the great ones. He is not even the best WR on his team how is he one of the great ones...Come on Chad just play the game and shut up....

themaninblack
02-11-2008, 12:23 PM
chad is the best wr on this team theres no doubt. he is also one of the best in the league but he does need to shut up about this and just keep doin his thing.

SaintsFanForLife
02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
chad is the best wr on this team theres no doubt. he is also one of the best in the league but he does need to shut up about this and just keep doin his thing.

IM not going to argue on who is better Chad or TJ they are both great. But I am glad we agree that he needs to shut up and just play the game. I dont think he is going to get traded so he needs to make sure his team is not to mad or its going to be a long year in that locker room.

Man_Of_Steel
02-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Chad is way better than TJ, just because TJ caught more balls dosent make him better. Look at Moss and Welker, Welker had way more receptions but is not better than Moss, the same can be applied here.

DeathbyStat
02-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Chad is way better than TJ, just because TJ caught more balls dosent make him better. Look at Moss and Welker, Welker had way more receptions but is not better than Moss, the same can be applied here.

Yes but TJ actually plays physical something that Chad never does.

Man_Of_Steel
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes but TJ actually plays physical something that Chad never does.

Which has what merit in this discussion?

Patriots16-0
02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Is there any chance the Pats get Ocho Cinco? Moss is most likely out...

PalmerToCJ
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
TJ is the more important WR on this team... That I'm certain of.

themaninblack
02-11-2008, 10:20 PM
we need them both, its that simple.

PalmerToCJ
02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
If Chad doesn't want to be here, I don't want him to be here.

themaninblack
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
i agree but i get the feeling he does ultimately want to be here. regardless of what the reports are saying. if not, we'd be fine but id really like him to be here. this season will ultimately decide that IMO.

PalmerToCJ
02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm still doubting he gets traded... Not sure how things would work themselves out though.

Why the Bengals
02-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Heard Washington might want him? Don't believe the Bengals pull the trigger but, Johnson's agent Rosenhaus is said to be stepping into this so who knows?

PalmerToCJ
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah I could definetely see Washington wanting to get a deal done. They've never been shy of trading draft picks and getting older stars.

Supposedly the hit would be 8 mil if we traded Chad, I just don't see it happening.

Bengalsrocket
02-14-2008, 01:57 AM
TJ is a number 2 receiver and Chad is a number 1 receiver. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion. They work together and compliment each other really well. Anyways, anyone who thinks TJ is better than CJ has a 1 year memory span =)

themaninblack
02-14-2008, 03:06 PM
ya i think palmertocj is just a little po'ed and with good reason. TJ is great but without chad i don't know if he would be the receiver we think he is. chad is an integral part to this offense just by being on the field.

PalmerToCJ
02-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Keep in mind I never said TJ was better than CJ... Just more important to this team.

Seriously, convince me CJ makes near the big time catches TJ does.

Chad is clearly the more gifted WR, TJ gets the job done. Half of CJ's numbers usually fall in two or so massive games, the rest aren't all that spectacular.

farfromforgotten
02-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Man, am I the only one that actually goes and checks stats around here? Last year CJ had 4 games of under 60 yards recieving. TJ had 7 games of under 60 yards. CJ had way more big yardage games, as he should being the type of WR he is, but he was just as consistent every other week as TJ was. CJ still had 93 (93!) catches. TJ had 10 more catches and 4 more TDs, again as he should being the type of WR he is. Im in agreement with the other guy who says the Bengals need both.

themaninblack
02-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind I never said TJ was better than CJ... Just more important to this team.

Seriously, convince me CJ makes near the big time catches TJ does.

Chad is clearly the more gifted WR, TJ gets the job done. Half of CJ's numbers usually fall in two or so massive games, the rest aren't all that spectacular.

Im not saying CJ makes more big catches, but you take CJ out of the equation then TJ will not have the opportunity to make many of those catches. Chad's presence is what allows TJ to do what he does. And he definitely takes advantage of it. Unless Chad is a detriment this season, we have no good reason to let him go. I understand his frustration and it did get a little out of hand but he has always been pretty great for us. He sees the talent we have(as we all do) and we havent been able to make that next step like other teams have. We have one of the best WR combos in the NFL and breaking that up would in no way make this team any better.

I am not trying to take anything away from TJ because he is Mr. Third Down and he is a very clutch player.

PalmerToCJ
02-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Man, am I the only one that actually goes and checks stats around here? Last year CJ had 4 games of under 60 yards recieving. TJ had 7 games of under 60 yards. CJ had way more big yardage games, as he should being the type of WR he is, but he was just as consistent every other week as TJ was. CJ still had 93 (93!) catches. TJ had 10 more catches and 4 more TDs, again as he should being the type of WR he is. Im in agreement with the other guy who says the Bengals need both.

Dude... You keep chiming in but how many Bengals games have you watched since CJ has become a Bengal? I've watched every single one, I had this same opinion before all this trade BS came up.

TJ gets plenty of attention himself, it's not like it's always CJ getting doubled and TJ single coverage. They put extra guys on him as well. They know he's getting the ball in the red zone yet he still makes the catches.

Chad brings up the playoffs BS yet in 2006 we would've been in had he not bombed in the Denver game. Massive fumble on top of an illegal motion penalty that cost us a 70 yard Henry TD.

farfromforgotten
02-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Half of CJ's numbers usually fall in two or so massive games, the rest aren't all that spectacular.

I see post likes this and I go and do research, that is all. Another Bengals fan on here asked "Since when does CJ get 90+ catches and 10 tds?" Do the research before you make statements. He essentially does that every year. And I live in WV...so believe me, I've seen plenty of his games. I'm not sure where I have "chimed in" on this topic and been incorrect?

ThePudge
02-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately the cap hit we'd take would apparently be enormous if we traded CJ. That being said, he's staying put.

PalmerToCJ
02-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately the cap hit we'd take would apparently be enormous if we traded CJ. That being said, he's staying put.

Curnette estimates 8.03 million, Hobson claims 6-7 million... Either way it's massive.

Geo
04-24-2008, 09:33 PM
http://www.thelotd.com/lance/

WOW
Jay Glazer, FOX NFL Insider with Jim Rome....on Chad
"It's too late to salvage this. People just don't understand how bad it has gotten. Last year, in a team meeting before a game...coaches asked if anyone had a problem with Chad. Carson Palmer stood up and said, "yea, I have a problem with him". Chad and Carson began arguing. Chad was screaming at Carson in the middle of the room"

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/24/marvin-wins-back-the-locker-room/

MARVIN WINS BACK THE LOCKER ROOM
Posted on April 24, 2008, 6:48 p.m.

As the tug-o-war between the Cincinnati Bengals and receiver Chad Johnson continues with the piece of the rope with the strip of an old T-shirt tied around it not moving from the midpoint between the two sides, the Bengals have scored a major victory among the other players on the team.

Per a league source, coach Marvin Lewis won back the locker room with his Tuesday verbal *****-slapping of Johnson.

“He’s stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn’t going to play,” Lewis said to the media two days ago. “I think he’s a man of his word. He says he’s not going to play, so don’t play.”

It’s a significant development for Lewis, who had gradually squandered the support of the other players by coddling Chad. The low point came in January 2006, when Lewis did nothing in response to Johnson’s halftime meltdown in the locker room.

Regardless of whether Johnson punched Lewis or receivers coach Hue Jackson or Johnson had Jackson in a headlock or Jackson had Johnson in a headlock or the Iron Sheik had Hacksaw Jim Duggan in a sleeper hold, the incident marred the twelve-minute intermission of a playoff game that the Bengals were leading at the end of the second quarter, preventing the team from maximizing the available time to make adjustments aimed at also leading the game at the end of the fourth.

Per the source, one player’s reaction was that Lewis should have gone even farther. “He should have told Chad that he’d pack up his stuff and send it to him,” the player said, “or that he’d just go ahead and send it all to Canton.”

themaninblack
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Good for Marvin, its about time he starts to be the "badass" he was when he first arrived. Good for Carson too, its his team and if ur gonna **** with it then you can hit the road. Its embarrassing that Chad is trying to make the franchise seem the bad guy. You can't take criticism its time to get out the League son. IDC if ur the best reciever in the NFL or some scrub, you don't say those kinds of things to any of your teammates or your coach. Chad has put himself in this situation by crying about it like a 4 year old and if he ever wants to play on this team again he better beg the team and the City of Cincinnati for forgiveness. I've always had his back and thought he was better than a TO or a Randy Moss, but this is out of control. I will be burning my 85 jersey in LOT C before the opening game at PBS this season if anyone would like to join me.

hobbes2053
04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Curnette estimates 8.03 million, Hobson claims 6-7 million... Either way it's massive.

the cap hit we would take is nowhere near worth trading him away. he might be saying this sh*t now but i fully expect him to play when the season comes around. i have heard chad say on multiple occasions that when the games come hes going to "do what he does and embarrass anyone who tries to cover him." when it comes down to it i think hes staying.

StripedWalrus
04-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I hope we go out and win a super bowl while chad is on the bench. Then not give him a ring, and then trade him off to a team that will never have a chance to win a superbowl. Preferably one with no QB...maybe Oakland and just sit back and watch his career and chances of the HOF go bye bye. It will teach him to respect the team and be a team player.

Im glad Marvin is putting his foot down and not letting the players walk all over him.

DiG
04-24-2008, 10:44 PM
the cap hit we would take is nowhere near worth trading him away. he might be saying this sh*t now but i fully expect him to play when the season comes around. i have heard chad say on multiple occasions that when the games come hes going to "do what he does and embarrass anyone who tries to cover him." when it comes down to it i think hes staying.
thats bs in todays nfl. supposedly it would be around 7 mil and you would be able to split it between two seasons so 3.5 mil per year in dead money. thats honestly nothing in the current nfl

StripedWalrus
04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
thats bs in todays nfl. supposedly it would be around 7 mil and you would be able to split it between two seasons so 3.5 mil per year in dead money. thats honestly nothing in the current nfl

Its alot if you have your budget planned out perfectly to fit all your players in. Even a small amount could cause you to not sign one person that could be an intricate part of your team.

PalmerToCJ
04-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Thought this was VERY interesting, kinda makes me think the decision to deny the trade actually had some positive effect:

As the tug-o-war between the Cincinnati Bengals and receiver Chad Johnson continues with the piece of the rope with the strip of an old T-shirt tied around it not moving from the midpoint between the two sides, the Bengals have scored a major victory among the other players on the team.

Per a league source, coach Marvin Lewis won back the locker room with his Tuesday verbal *****-slapping of Johnson.

“He’s stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn’t going to play,” Lewis said to the media two days ago. “I think he’s a man of his word. He says he’s not going to play, so don’t play.”

It’s a significant development for Lewis, who had gradually squandered the support of the other players by coddling Chad. The low point came in January 2006, when Lewis did nothing in response to Johnson’s halftime meltdown in the locker room.

Regardless of whether Johnson punched Lewis or receivers coach Hue Jackson or Johnson had Jackson in a headlock or Jackson had Johnson in a headlock or the Iron Sheik had Hacksaw Jim Duggan in a sleeper hold, the incident marred the twelve-minute intermission of a playoff game that the Bengals were leading at the end of the second quarter, preventing the team from maximizing the available time to make adjustments aimed at also leading the game at the end of the fourth.

Per the source, one player’s reaction was that Lewis should have gone even farther. “He should have told Chad that he’d pack up his stuff and send it to him,” the player said, “or that he’d just go ahead and send it all to Canton.”

themaninblack
04-24-2008, 11:34 PM

and we are talking about mike brown here.

and PalmerToTJ- Thats the exact article Geo posted on the last page, which was where my reaction/rant came from.

BengalMedic
04-25-2008, 07:26 AM
WOW
Jay Glazer, FOX NFL Insider with Jim Rome....on Chad
"It's too late to salvage this. People just don't understand how bad it has gotten. Last year, in a team meeting before a game...coaches asked if anyone had a problem with Chad. Carson Palmer stood up and said, "yea, I have a problem with him". Chad and Carson began arguing. Chad was screaming at Carson in the middle of the room"

That's odd, I have never heard anything about this before.

StripedWalrus
05-01-2008, 11:23 PM
There were some things during the draft that really puzzled me. They all stemmed around the Eagles. I thought the Eagles adding Laws was weird, and they acquired an extra 1st rounder for next year as well in the draft.

Today I took a look over the Bengals forums and I saw a post by West Texas on there. I read it over and it was as if he had thought the exact things. What if the Eagles are actually acquiring all the stuff for a Chad Johnson (and Andrews according to him) trade after June 1st. What if all this "we aren't trading Chad" is a giant smoke screen to increase the trade value of CJ. We already had two potential first round picks offered for him and we said no. What if we wait around and let someone sweeten the deal? What if that was our plan all along? What if we get Laws, possibly Desean Jackson, maybe Lito Sheppard, 2 first round picks next year, all for CJ and Andrews.

I know it's far fetched...but...it is possible and the trade could happen. Would you guys want a trade like that?

I know I have sat around saying I want to watch Chad's career die while he is on the bench. Will that help the Bengals though? If he's on the Bench he doesn't help us much. After the way he has been acting I only see a T.O. situation with him complaining all the time. If he gets traded...it can be beneficial to us if it can be worked out so that we don't get hit so much with the cap.

BengalMedic
05-02-2008, 07:00 AM
I hate playing the "What If" game, but I see what you are getting at. It's just to hard to envision us letting Andrews go at this point when we really didn't do much to bolster our o-line through the draft. I just have a really hard time thinking the Bengals front office has enough of a thought process to pull off anything with Chad that could help this team. I have about ZERO faith in them...

StripedWalrus
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Well the argument with Andrews is that he will more than likely not be with the Bengals next year as he wants to play with his brother in Philly. So unless his brother comes to Cincy, we will prolly see Andrews leave next year. That is the whole reason why Andrews is suspected to be traded with him. Also, Andrews cap space would enable us to nearly feel no effect from Chad's cap hit. I think it actually clears cap space. It is a scenario and nothing more. Alot of people find it really odd that Laws was drafted by the Eagles. Even Eagle fans don't quite understand it. I do think it is a possible scenario. I have alot of faith in the Bengals front office. I think a blockbuster trade like this could indeed be in the works.

themaninblack
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I really would not like to see Andrews go at all hes a monster and we're gonna need him if not now then very soon. I'd love to trade Chad but PLEASE keep Andrews.

StripedWalrus
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Well like I said before...I don't see Andrews staying for more than a year...he is refusing to sign any contracts and has always said he wants to play with his brother. Even we keep him then he will play just one year and then we will probably get a 3rd, 4th or 5th round comp pick for him after he bolts for the Eagles anyway. I say if we can trade him along with Chad for Laws, another player, possibly another player and 2 first rounders next year, then we should do it. We can draft a stud OT to replace Willie when he retires. Plus we get that extra DT in Laws whom can also play DE.

themaninblack
05-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Personally I think this whole thing with him wanting to play with his brother is quite overplayed. He's gonna get top LT money to play here and I doubt he would give that up to play with his brother in any way shape or form. I think we should offer him the house and let Willie go(I may be alone in that) but the man seriously has the skills to be the most dominant tackle in football regardless of left or right. I've seen a million tackles/guards in my day but I can honestly say I know greatness when I see it and this man has it more than probably anyone ive seen in the past ten years. He is THAT good and we must keep him at all cost. Above Willie and even above Levi who I have been one of the biggest supporters of thru thick and thin.

Bengalsrocket
05-03-2008, 05:41 AM
With Mike Brown in charge you know Willie won't get cut though :)

PalmerToCJ
05-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm torn with Willie. The guy is loyal, keeps his mouth shut and just plays.

In terms of playing, he can be let go. He's been getting banged up lately and we've got bodies to put in that spot. Then a much younger Andrews can get paid.

StripedWalrus
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Well keep Andrews at all cost is easier said than done. The Bengals have tried to work an extended contract out with him multiple times. He has refused every single one of them. I seriously think he is going to leave when the season is over...he isnt going to want to sign back with the Bengals. Thats why I saw package him up now and get something good out of it.

StripedWalrus
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I just realized this....this has turned into a Andrews must stay/go thread lol

BengalMedic
05-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I still maintain my stance that the Bengals can't have Andrews leave at this point and regardless of him not signing a long term contract is irrelavant to him returning next season. He can be franchised again unless there is something in his tender this year that states the Bengals won't use the franchise tag on him again the following year (like Asante Samuel in New England)... I don't believe that to be the case. Look at Willie and the rest of the guys. Between injuries and just plain getting older, who's going to play when they go down ??

I'm not real comfortable with our depth to begin with and to expect Collins to be the answer to this particular problem right away is not the best option considering the protection Carson is SURELY needing. I'm just not willing to take that chance right now.

I have ZERO, when I say ZERO, I mean ABSOLUTELY NO, faith that our front office could come close to coming up with something of this magnitude. We are talking about an organization that didn't feel we could give up a 3rd to address our most glaring need at DT in the draft and didn't go after our guy. Then after months of hearing how much the Bengals not only needed, but WANTED Ellis, they make the statement of "Not really sure about him due to his lack of size"... Get the f*ck out of here with that...

Don't get me wrong, I still love how things turned out for us in the draft and think Rivers is a front runner for DROY, but it is what it is and I don't believe the Bengals for ONE MINUTE when it comes to NOT getting Ellis...

In regards to Chad, whom this thread is about... I will only say that it has been nice not hearing him run his mouth on some sports show for the past month and hope that continues. I can still envision a trade after the 1st of June that would allow the cap hit to be spread out over next year, but that begs the question of who our WR's are going to be this year. Is there enough faith in Gabriel and the other rookie WR's to be able to fill the hole left from Chad. Regardless of what anyone says, Chad demanded the double team and made the other WR's get their chances. Who does that in his absence ??

themaninblack
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Our OLINE depth isn't bad it's just theres a few question marks with some of our players. Levi Jones apparently doesn't want to be here anymore, Willie is getting up there but prolly has 3 years left if healthy, and Andrews (it's being said) wants to play with his brother. We've got Levi locked up and hopefully we can do the same with Andrews. Anthony Collins could be the saving grace in the event that we can't get Andrews but that wouldn't be this year so he would have at least a year to get ready.

The Ellis thing is gonna be blown way out of proportion for a very long time and I guess you can't really blame the team for not going after him when they had them both graded the same. Rivers is also a much more certain thing and we don't exactly have a great history with first round DT's. Plus we got a first round DT in the 3rd round who could turn out to be better than him anyway. I liked Rivers more from the get go but I'm probably alone in that.

I think we put ourselves in a great situation at WR by basically acting as if Chad is gone because let's face it he probably won't be on the field unless he comes in and gets to work. Even if he does we got 2 REALLY talented WRs that give us a great unit on paper. We also have a pass catching TE for the first time in a long while which will help our recievers. Really the thing that concerns me most is our run game, if Rudi is back to form we will be fine but if not we could be in some trouble unless Perry can finally stay healthy or Kenny Irons is ready to go by training camp.

Bengalsrocket
05-05-2008, 02:25 PM
In regards to Chad, whom this thread is about... I will only say that it has been nice not hearing him run his mouth on some sports show for the past month and hope that continues. I can still envision a trade after the 1st of June that would allow the cap hit to be spread out over next year, but that begs the question of who our WR's are going to be this year. Is there enough faith in Gabriel and the other rookie WR's to be able to fill the hole left from Chad. Regardless of what anyone says, Chad demanded the double team and made the other WR's get their chances. Who does that in his absence ??

The thing is, the double team arguement is double edged when you have two good WR's - TJ is either going to get double teamed or not (there really are no other options) - if they double team him, cincinnati is hoping that Jerome Simpson / Doug Gabriel / Antonio Chatman can all step up. If teams don't double team TJ - then he'll still beable to make catches.

Yes, it helped when Chad demanded a double team because it free'd up housh, but now all we have to know is if one of our other receivers can capitalize on TJ being double covered (or not being double covered) - and I think they can.

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I definantly think that we will capitalize on teams double teaming or not double teaming TJ. We used to have one of the best tandems in CJ + TJ. We will be going into this season with alot more options than we have had since at least 2005. 2005 was great because we had so many people Carson could have thrown it too. This year we will have even more! Carson potentially has a multitude of options in Utecht, TJ, Simpson, Gabriel, Chatman, Holt, and Chris Perry. There is no room for (me) players in that style of football. We are going to be running alot more and have alot of spread passing. If we are going to that style of football then I believe not having Chad is better. Because midway through the season he would be complaining he isnt getting the ball enough.

The players that will be stepping up when we have TJ locked down will be Chris Perry, Ben Utecht, and Jerome Simpson....It will be a great sight to see =)

hobbes2053
05-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I think its funny how after the draft and us picking Simpson, Caldwell, and Urrutia, that we haven't heard a word from Chad. To me, the Bengals went into this years draft thinking that if Chad doesn't want to be here, then we'll just get some guys who do to replace him. If he doesn't to play, he won't. But the others will.

PalmerToCJ
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
He can only keep his mouth shut so long, the silence has been nice.

Hell, I hope I never hear another word out of him.

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
He is building up steam...he is prolly got something big planned.

BengalMedic
05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Please don't get me wrong... I will be the first Bengal fan to sit and put faith in the team to improve and can look in many directions to see why that faith should be there. However, there are no definitives and a lot of "I hopes" floating around.

We have no idea about the health of the o-line going in and in looking at the depth chart, can you really say our depth at almost every position is Andrews ?? Collins is an unknown at this point...

Rivers "should" make an impact in his rookie year, but who knows how he will adapt and there is no clear cut answers when it comes to Odell being on the field and the status of Brooks (I like to hit women allegedly)...

We can say we got first round talent in Sims, but he's not going to start right away as I see Peko holding it down and the team not getting rid of the only veteran depth in Thornton. That doesn't mean they won't get rid of him, but I just can't see it.

Odom was a monster in Tennessee, but he also had MUCH help on that D-line and all we can do is "Hope" that he can produce the same with Geathers and whomever we place in the middle of the D-line.

Running backs are a HUGE question mark and to have the thought that adding a 31 year old injury prone RB to the mix says enough in my opinion.

The WR corp is based upon a headcase, someone who's been out of the league the last season, and rookies. TJ is the man, but we can only hope against hope that at least one of the rookies will produce in their first season. History is not on our side with that one...

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID, I still think we can make a run at the Division this year and bring it all together. Why ?? Because I am a fan and homerish like many other fans out there, but not because of anything definitive that can be pointed out...

Bengalsrocket
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I mean you can never be sure how the season will turn out, or how certain players will perform etc. But I find it hard to believe that Rudi Johnson is done with this game. Last year, he rushed for a hundred yards in the browns game before his injury. I honestly think he could have a 1k yard year in 07' if he didn't get injured.

With a solid running game, Carson will have a better composure and perform better - regardless of who his receivers are (even rookies in my opinion).

Which leads us to the defense: We have a lot of young players on defense, and the few strong veterans we do have seem to be in positions that won't make a huge difference. However, with youth you do lack experience, but you gain energy - if our defense can just play 4 quarters, we may be able to make up for those missing veterans.

Obviously, it could all go wrong - you never know whats going to happen, but currently I think we look very solid in a weak division (dare I say that??!).

themaninblack
05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
We've got a lot of questions but I think we all realize the talent is there, some front office stuff/uncertainty will have us asking questions pretty much throughout the year. I am confident we will have a successful 9-11 win season.

BengalMedic
05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Once again, I believe we are in a good position and could see a 10 win season, but that is also having everything fall into place. I will say this though... We could get by with the offense if the defense were to just step it up to middle of the road. Give me a #15 defense and I'd be willing to place a large sum of cash on the fact the Bengals win the Division.

How great would that be with Chad sitting on the sidelines watching the Bengals not only go to the playoffs, but win a game or so ?? I still want him gone !!!

BengalMedic
05-07-2008, 07:29 AM
The newest article I have seen on the subject:

It sounds like the Bengals didn't draft three wide receivers last week just because of the Chad Johnson holdout and the Chris Henry firing. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis tells me there's a T.J. Houshmandzadeh element to it, too.

"T.J.'s at the end of his contract this year,'' Lewis said, "and I don't know if it's possible to re-sign him. Chad says he won't play without a trade. We just have to be prepared for anything this year, and for the future.''

Hmmm. Hadn't heard the Houshmandzadeh reference before, but it makes some sense. This is the last year of a four-year contract for Houshmandzadeh, who has been in Johnson's shadow for most of his seven years in Cincinnati. He's due to make $2.65 million, plus a $100,000 workout bonus if he accrues enough time in the Bengals' offseason program.

Few receivers can match his production over the past two years -- 202 catches, 2,224 yards, 21 touchdowns -- and he'll be 31 at the end of this season. He's missed only four games over the last four years, so injury shouldn't be a concern. Will someone be willing to pay him $10 million a year if he becomes a free agent? Probably, if he exits this year injury-free. Don't laugh. Shoot, if Javon Walker can get $27 million in the first three years of a deal with Oakland and he can't stay on the field for a season, and if the market for wideouts is weak, I could see Houshmandzadeh hitting the jackpot.

Two other things from my talk with Lewis: The Bengals wouldn't have taken the relatively unknown Jerome Simpson from Coastal Carolina in the second round if Lewis didn't think he could play a significant role as an NFL rookie. The Bengals think he's smart and ready to adapt quickly to their offensive system -- even though he had only 41 catches last season at a relatively low level of play.

And they're digging in with Chad Johnson, who says he wants out of Cincinnati after playing two seasons in a 2006 renegotiated contract with four years left (at $3 million, $4.5 million, $5 million, $6 million.

"We've made it clear what the stance is,'' Lewis said. "It's not going to change, today or in August, whenever. You cannot allow a player to get up on his high chair with four years left on his contract and demand to get out. If you do that, you set a terrible example for the rest of your team, and we won't do that.''

We'll see. Sounds like a long, hot summer in Cincinnati.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/06/mailbag/

Get up on his high chair ?? Great stuff Marvin !!!

Bengalsrocket
05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
If we lose Housh I'll be really sad.

BengalMedic
05-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I can't say as I want to see TJ go either and hope he sticks, but at least the Bengals had enough foresight (did I just say that?) to go out and get some WR's in the draft.

After all the flack Marvin has taken in regards to not only his dealings with Chad in the past, but how it affects the locker room, you have to love how he's handling it now. The hard part is, you make it more difficult on yourself when you let things brew and then take a hardline stance after the fact. I give Marvin a lot of credit though...

themaninblack
05-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I really believe TJ will be here for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if he let the team structure his contract to make that possible.

LonghornsLegend
05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Props to Marvin for standing strong, this is going to be very interesting as the season comes into play...Chad won't want to play, and some guys might not want him in the huddle, maybe it was just me but towards the end of last season, in particuliar the SF game Chad and Carson looked out of sync, I know this because Chad was on my fantasy team so I watched him closely down the stretch and saw that game...For guys who played together as long as them should of been hitting on all cylinders like Peyton and Marvin, but Chad was either in the wrong spot, or Carson was putting it in the wrong spot, they just looked like they had their signals crossed quite a bit, it didn't look the same.

Simpson looks like a future #1, at least he has the potential, he might not pan out to be that, but he has that type of ability, I'm excited to see him play.

StripedWalrus
05-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I think its simply because Chad isnt a very motivated team player. He is an "I me, mine" player. He only cares about himself. That would be fine if he played professional Tidily Winks.

PalmerToCJ
05-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Gotta love the way TJ is going about things.

He wants a new contract, he's made that clear. Plus, he's only got one year left anyway. He's basically said if it gets done, it gets done. If not then he'll deal with it later. He said regardless he was going to get ready to come in and win this season.

themaninblack
05-07-2008, 10:59 PM
ya TJ is a pretty classy guy.

Bengals78
05-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Ron Burgundy once told TJ to stay classy when TJ was 10 years old. He has been classy.

Maybe the Bengals should have their own commercial like the Chuck Norris Nissan one. Tough Meets Classy with TJ.

StripedWalrus
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
We will see what happens. I don't Think TJ deserves a #1 receivers salary. The Bengals shouldnt give him a #1 receivers salary. He will prolly go to another club that will pay him such. Doesn't take away from his class though. I think if he can prove himself as a locker room leader then the Bengals will pay him.

PalmerToCJ
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
The guy wants to get paid, he's grossly underpaid as it is and on the last year so I can't blame him for wanting more. I guess we'll see, we've still got #9 back there if we lose him so our rock on offense is still there.

I think from now on I'm just going to refuse to say that loud mouth WR's name or any reference to him by his number etc. He's not worth the time. My sig speaks the truth.

StripedWalrus
05-08-2008, 09:27 PM
We will find out this year if Housh will be worth a big contract. We will find out if he is a product of "whom we shall not speak of" or if he is an actually solid receiver that can step up and play #1. If he steps up and becomes a leader he will undoubtedly get a contract extension.

PalmerToCJ
05-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I've convinced myself that if that WR sits more good will come of it.

Guys will be forced to step up, hopefully TJ will become more of a leader and we'll stop being so reliant on the passing game.

Bengalsrocket
05-08-2008, 10:59 PM
We will find out this year if Housh will be worth a big contract. We will find out if he is a product of "whom we shall not speak of" or if he is an actually solid receiver that can step up and play #1. If he steps up and becomes a leader he will undoubtedly get a contract extension.

I know its only business, and its logical to do it that way, but thats the part I hate about football =P. TJ proved he deserves to get paid more than he does already, but now he's got to prove it again because no one has faith in him without Chad. I get it, but I have no doubt he can still play ball with chad off the field.

I think people waaaaay overrate the double team coverage on Chad. I'm not saying it doesn't help, because it does - I'll even go as far as to say it helps a lot. But people who act like TJ is all the sudden going to only get 30 catches and have 300 yards or something are kidding themselves.

TJ will at least get 75 catches (I realize thats low for a #1 with a good QB throwing to him, but hopefully we'll be running a lot more and spreading the ball around more with all of our receivers) and 8 TD's.

StripedWalrus
05-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I have no doubt he will play well and get a good number of yards and catches. He may not have Chad to pull a double team, but he does now have a pass Catching TE in Utecht. That alone should help alot. In addition there is a deep threat in Caldwell, and Simpson should pull some looks in the endzone. What would probably be a factor that alot of people overlook is that we should have a healthy Oline which could also translate into a run game. Plus there is a healthy Chris Perry factor. Chris Perry can be a very effective offensive option. If Housh demands a double team then that will leave open one of our young receivers. If Housh doesnt complain about not getting the ball all the time then he is a team leader. If he starts complaining about not getting the ball because he is getting covered all the time then he isn't worth resigning. Because its going to take half a season before anyone realizes you can double team us because then you will get burnt somewhere else. Then Housh will get his catches.

Alot of people don't believe Housh can be a number 1 guy. I sit on the fence on that myself. Remember alot of people thought Reggie Wayne couldnt be a NUmber 1 receiver and he proved alot of people wrong.

BengalMedic
05-09-2008, 07:34 AM
The two biggest "IFS" that I am hoping and praying work out for us are:

Odell Thurman and Chris Perry

What a healthy / non stupid version of these two can do for their respective side of the ball is crazy. I know most people are down on Perry and yes, he could be gone just as easily, but I think him being healthy in the backfield will help Carson and the rest of the WR's tremendously. Just like that, Odell could bring an infusion of talent and attitude that when coupled with Rivers' leadership could turn the LB corps into something monsterous.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen and think the two could be on their way out just as easily with another injury or episode of stupidity, but I will say these two are the two people I will be keeping an eye on through camps and into the preseason.

PalmerToCJ
05-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Agreed 100000000%.

Those two are so massive for both sides of the ball. When Odell was out there we know what he did. Perry was so huge, helped the running and passing game. Teams always had to account for him coming out of the backfield, if not he'd burn you and big time.

Those two were HUGE reasons for our success in 2005.

Bengals78
05-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Is it August yet?
I want to see Odell on the field soon.

PalmerToCJ
05-10-2008, 03:06 AM
I hope to God that at least once in the preseason we get to see Rivers/Ahmad/Odell on the field together. I would mess myself and immediately have a sig of them made.

BengalMedic
05-10-2008, 07:10 AM
IF Rivers is all he's hyped up to be...
IF Ahmad turns potential into production and stays healthy...
IF Odell returns to form and has no setbacks...

There are a lot of "IFS" there with Rivers being the most probable of the three, but "OH MY GOD" if all three transpire !!! When I talk football at work, people give me sh*t about the Bengals defense. I keep telling them the last thing ANY team in the AFCN wants to see is, what I mentioned above happens coupled with one of the rookie DT's producing. I seriously think people are praying Jason Shirley f*cks up again, because if he keeps it together, our front 7 just gets more and more BEASTLY !!!

BengalMedic
05-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Oh yeah, Chad still needs to go...

StripedWalrus
05-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh yeah, Chad still needs to go...

Couldnt have said it better myself. LOL

StripedWalrus
05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Heres a little something that is against chad. cbs.sportsline put out a recent article on most overated and underrated players on each team.

Overrated: WR Chad Johnson. He has loads of ability, but he doesn't produce as much as he should in the big games. He did not score a touchdown in four of the Bengals' five games against playoff teams in 2007. He certainly isn't as good as he thinks.

Underrated: DT Domata Peko. He is a good inside player who plays hard all the time. If he were on a better unit, he would get more attention.

article - http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10843371

themaninblack
05-27-2008, 11:14 PM
I think you'd be hard pressed to call CJ overrated. As much as we all pretty much hate him at this point he is still one of the best WR in the league. He never really had that "struggles in big games" tag until this year. IMO that was a combination of a lot of things not just his personal abilities.

Bengalsrocket
05-28-2008, 07:20 AM
I don't hate chad yet :(

it depends on who's rating him though :P A lot of people think Chad gets a lot of praise because he's well known. He's usually on ESPN or NFL network for his dances, not his highlight clips - sadly. Even back in 05' when we were winning a lot, most of the clips I saw of him were just him dancing, not him making plays.

Anyways, point being: I think a lot of people translate his publicity into "rating". In a sense where because he's on ESPN a lot, people read that as "ESPN thinks Chad Johnson is the best WR to ever live!".

On a practical sense, I've never heard anyone knowledgeable say that Chad Johnson is anything more than maybe a top 3-10 receiver, and depending on where in his career you're looking, a case can be made for any placement inside that range.

So again, maybe he's overrated to the casual fan - but anyone who watches more than just the Bengals knows he's a top echelon receiver, but certainly not the best.

BengalMedic
05-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Chad has pissed me off beyond belief and could care less how his situation pans out. That being said, Chad led either his conference or the league in receiving for 4 straight years up until last year. That is something even Jerry Rice didn't do. As a matter of fact, Chad is the only WR in NFL history to have done that. Hardly considered overrated !!!

I think that is part of the reason his situation pisses me off as much as it does. All of his fame, pro bowls, stats, and furtune have come by way of a Cincinnati QB throwing to him. He was LOVED like no other WR by the fans of Cincinnati and he has just forgotten how he got to where he is today. Honestly, I think it's a shame. What a piece of sh*t person !!!

PalmerToCJ
05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Let me say a few things to show how unbiased I am...

-I can't stand Chad Johnson
-I wish he wasn't a Bengal
-He's nowhere in big games for us

Yet, to call him overrated is stupid. Inconsistant, yes... Overrated, no.

StripedWalrus
06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Rumors are circulating that Chad will be showing up to camp but he wont do anything while there.

My thoughts on it are if he shows up and is a complete jack ass, then I hope he rots in hell. If he hinders the team any more then he has no support from me, that is if he had any left in the first place. I think we should trade him...but I don't know what kinda offer we will get for him now.

D-Unit
06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
The Bengals could've gotten a lot for CJ. WAS was offering 2 first rounders. Now the draft is over, the situation is getting worse and the Bengals are losing more leverage the longer this situation holds out. I don't know why Marvin was so stubborn to trade him before. I mean he got a great offer and still turned it down??? Why? Just to win a pissing battle between himself and Chad? Marvin might be gone from Cincinnati before Chad if this problem isn't resolved soon.

StripedWalrus
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
The Bengals could've gotten a lot for CJ. WAS was offering 2 first rounders. Now the draft is over, the situation is getting worse and the Bengals are losing more leverage the longer this situation holds out. I don't know why Marvin was so stubborn to trade him before. I mean he got a great offer and still turned it down??? Why? Just to win a pissing battle between himself and Chad? Marvin might be gone from Cincinnati before Chad if this problem isn't resolved soon.

Well we couldnt trade him before the draft. It would have cost us too much money. We would have ended up taking an 8 million dollar cap hit. Then we wouldnt have been able to sign the first round pick we received. So I don't blame anyone for not taking the trade earlier. Chad is a top notch receiver and somebody will eventually come knocking again. Then again CHad could come back apologize and everything will be good. I highly doubt that though. He will be a headache. I understand Lewis and Brown's stance on not letting Chad dictate the team. More teams shoudl be solid with players like CJ and not give in to their whining. Teams giving into the whining is what allows them to whine. That being said, Chad will probably cause alot of problems. Which in turn will hinder the team. Its a lose/lose situation for the NFL either way.

PACKmanN
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
If I was the Bengals I would keep him. If so you guys could have a deadly passing game.

06-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Ocho Cinco ain't going anywhere ..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3424063

themaninblack
06-03-2008, 01:54 PM
well he's still not on my good side but I am happy he's gonna come back. Hopefully he won't be doing anything detrimental to the team though.

rickscott
06-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I think you'll see the Bengals treat him as Philly treated Owens and if he starts acting out, he'll find himself suspended, WITHOUT pay and then he'll come crying back like a little kid. I'm anxious to see how he is treated by teammates. I think fans are going to treat him very harshly.

Bengalsrocket
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
He made a low blow against the organization (Though I can't say I disagree with :() which I don't like, but I'll be happy if he comes back.

I'm semi-afraid now that he said he wants to come back that Marvin will want to trade him away now lol. We'll see I guess!

StripedWalrus
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
He made a low blow against the organization (Though I can't say I disagree with :() which I don't like, but I'll be happy if he comes back.

I'm semi-afraid now that he said he wants to come back that Marvin will want to trade him away now lol. We'll see I guess!

I don't care if he is traded away, as long as it beefs up the defense!

I am still pretty p'd off at him. He has done some very stupid things this year.

Bengalsrocket
06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
With chad there it makes TJ, Utecht, Caldwell, Simpson and Rudi (or whatever RB we start) thrive that much more with the attention he takes away from those players. I don't see what we could get to beef our defense enough to make up for that =/

PalmerToCJ
06-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Chad is a coward. I have no respect for him.

Bought all I can say about it. TJ isn't going to be re-signed, pretty much knows it I'm sure but he is going out there and getting things done. Working for his team and not making false statements.

Chad acts like this is about winning a superbowl... RIIIIIIIGHT. It's about getting paid.

It's unfortunate that Chad is as talented as he is.

As you can tell, I don't plan on dropping this. It'll take a while and some serious making up for me to wish him well.

BengalsPwn
06-04-2008, 01:40 AM
CJ tried to make a Kobe attempt to try make the team better by blasting them over the off season. Kobe didn't get traded, they started the season off surprisingly well and they make a trade to get them to the finals. Just maybe the Bengals go like 4-0 and everyone is happy, they start handing out extensions, make a decent trade to bolster the defense and all of a sudden we are in the playoffs. It could happen.

CJ makes very valid points and he will get booed hard our first home game, but who knows maybe he puts up a 100 yard 2 td game and we win, then everything is good again.

TO is on the decline but got a huge extension, CJ is amidst his prime and should be rewarded for it. He was loyal resigning with the Bengals right as he entered his prime and used to always rant about the Bengals being relevant again maybe the Bengals should show more loyalty and deliver him a fat contract extension.

Don't be a stupid homer and just think he wants more money. Read the whole article he just wants to win. Nobody is killing Urlacher and hes doing the same thing except just not as loud. The Bengals are just damn cheap, no beating around the bush on that one.

Bengalsrocket
06-04-2008, 03:27 AM
CJ tried to make a Kobe attempt to try make the team better by blasting them over the off season. Kobe didn't get traded, they started the season off surprisingly well and they make a trade to get them to the finals. Just maybe the Bengals go like 4-0 and everyone is happy, they start handing out extensions, make a decent trade to bolster the defense and all of a sudden we are in the playoffs. It could happen.

CJ makes very valid points and he will get booed hard our first home game, but who knows maybe he puts up a 100 yard 2 td game and we win, then everything is good again.

TO is on the decline but got a huge extension, CJ is amidst his prime and should be rewarded for it. He was loyal resigning with the Bengals right as he entered his prime and used to always rant about the Bengals being relevant again maybe the Bengals should show more loyalty and deliver him a fat contract extension.

Don't be a stupid homer and just think he wants more money. Read the whole article he just wants to win. Nobody is killing Urlacher and hes doing the same thing except just not as loud. The Bengals are just damn cheap, no beating around the bush on that one.

There is a certain amount of respect for being quiet. I've made it very clear that I still like Chad Johnson and I don't want to see him go, but the fact remains: he opens his mouth when he shouldn't. The Lakers didn't do well because of how Kobe handled his business in the media; They did well because of how the Lakers handled themselves on the court.

To make a claim such as Chad Johnson is trying to sacrifice his public image for the good of the team seems a little outlandish and way off base. I'm not saying Chad Johnson isn't trying to "pull a Kobe" I'm saying you have no evidence of that. He could be demanding a trade because TJ was a bigger star this year. He could be demanding a trade because he wants the ball more often. Or he could be demanding a trade because he just simply wants to get a superbowl ring.

But the reason for doing it doesn't even matter. The fact that he is doing it is what matters. Dance in the faces of 31 teams saying you're the greatest if you want. Run around the media and say you want to abandon the last team that genuinely likes you if you want. But I highly doubt he ever gets the same respect from the fans as he did before this happened; trade or no trade.

And lastly, giving Chad another contract now would simply be foolish. Especially if Chad claims he "just wants to win". We need to lock up our salary in big name defensive players. If he truly wants to win he'll ride his contract till there is 1 year left (2010) when they have already established themselves as a franchise that can win play off games.

The Ravens and STeelers both are getting old defensively (How old are players like Kirschke / Farrior / Hampton / Lewis / Rolle etc? I believe most of them are 30+). And the browns threw away numerous draft picks and players to build that offense - their biggest name off-season acquisition was Shaun Rodgers (Who's notorious for being overweight, lazy & unmotivated). I'd take Odom + Rivers + Sims over Shaun Rodgers personally.

Point being is we're working towards building a great defense in a division that might start to lack defense soon. If Chad wants to be a superbowl contender he needs to realize he has to be patient. I realize his clock is ticking and he's getting older too, but I expect Bengals to give this division a run for its money in 2-3 years as a serious leader.

PalmerToCJ
06-04-2008, 10:34 AM
lol yeah, Chad just wants to win.... RIIIIIGHT. Anyone around the league has said it's about money.

Granted, winning helps to make it less of an issue. While the Bengals are obviously cheap, they spent the money on Chad/Carson/Oline... There's no denying that. There wasn't a defensive free agent that would've been a massive impact, Odom > Smith in my eyes.

The guy is just backpedaling, so you just make it sound like it's about winning and not money since you won't be getting money anyway. If it was really about winning, he should've just blasted the organization... Not his teammates. I never heard him make these points before now.

All of the Bengals freaking drafts go to defense. With time, we'll get there. I have no doubt. With our secondary, Peko, Geathers (who got paid), Rivers and hopefully Ahmad there is a talented young core. Lets face it, it's just going to take another draft or two to finally get there.

StripedWalrus
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
BengalsPwn do you even understand Chad's contract? It was heavily front loaded. He made alot of money at the beginning of the contract. He loved that he was making a ton of money at the beginning, and he signed the contract. Well its been a few years...and now he decides he isn't making enough! Well thats his fault for signing a contract! He knew the money would get smaller as time went by! Don't defend him for being stupid and signing a contract! Just because he complains about it, doesnt mean that he deserves a new one. He signed his contract and the Bengals don't want to work a new one out. Thats his fault and I dont care how much he cries and whines, it isnt about winning. Its all about the money. This is some epic homerism here! This is the rock solid truth! He wants money and thats all it is!

themaninblack
06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying this is ENTIRELY about money. He's obviously frustrated from the lack of success when he(and all of us too) knows how good this team can be. Im sure he's not happy with his money situation plus he could be in trouble with his taxes. If Chad comes in and goes to work n does the things he needs to do to help this team n proves he's not selfish then I'd be happy with that. I don't know if I'll ever respect him as much as I used to but maybe I won't burn my CJ jersey just yet. How soon we forget when he was the ONLY one giving this franchise any kind of hope. I sure don't.

PalmerToCJ
06-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I think it's the money, the media and not having everyone in the locker room bow to him.

I never blamed him for our lack of success, while he wasn't there in the clutch her certainly made more than his fair share of plays.

Bengals78
06-05-2008, 02:11 AM
I think the problem is Drew Rosenhaus personally. He gets in the players head and makes them think they are God-like and deserve preposterous amounts of moolah.

StripedWalrus
06-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Drew prolly isnt helping much, but this is the Chad Johnson Character. He is just this way. TO is this way too. They have big mouths. Drew just so happens to be associated with this type of character because he tends to sign them. He also signs players LIke Fred Taylor, Greg Olson, Zach Thomas, Billy Volek, marion Barber, Rueben Drougns and Frank Gore. You wont probably here them yapping when they want a contract extension. The way Chad is acting is because thats the way Chad acts. No one else is the cause of it, but himself.