PDA

View Full Version : BGSUsteelers 2008 Mock V1

BGSUsteelers
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Contrary to popular belief, I along with many others at the site where I gather draft information, don't believe Darren McFadden is worthy of a top10 pick, nor do I think he will be a top10 pick. Besides the fact that someone always drops farther than people think they will, I believe McFadden will drop because he runs to upright, is not very good between the tackles, and with those chicken legs he is an injury waiting to happen. Of course I could be wrong, but this is what I see and how I feel. The Senior Bowl definately helped a lot of people out. Cromartie went from being a late 1st-early 2nd, to a top 15 pick. McKelvin had a great game as well and improved about 10-15 picks. Sedrick Ellis was an absolute beast and I am VERY VERY TEMPTED to put him ahead of Dorsey. The reason I am tempted is because Ellis' hand work and leverage technique is far superior to Dorsey's. Dorsey actually might never be that good due to the fact that he is lacking in those two things. Chris Williams had a great game and might jump Ryan Clady, but he probably has no shot at passing Jake Long. Cherilus also had a good game, but he has way to many attitude problems for that game to bolster him. Also, look out for a guy named Matt Forte. He was a projected 3rd-4th round pick, but he earned MVP honors of the Senior Bowl by absolutely ripping through the opposing D. He is probably a early-mid 2nd round pick now and if he can run under a 4.5, he will probably jump Felix Jones and maybe even Mendenhall. Anyways, here is my mock, feel free to leave feedback. I will try to respond to your guys comments or questions of why I did this or that.

1. Dolphins - Chris Long DE, Virginia

2. Rams - Glenn Dorsey DT, LSU

3. Falcons - Jake Long OT, Michigan

4. Raiders - Sedrick Ellis DT, USC

5. Chiefs - Mike Jenkins CB, South Florida

6. Jets - Vernon Gholston OLB, Ohio State

7. Patriots (f/SF) - Leodis McKelvin CB, Troy

8. Ravens - Matt Ryan QB, Boston College

9. Bengals - Keith Rivers OLB, USC

10. Saints - Dan Connor OLB, Penn State

11. Bills - Antoine Cason CB, Arizona

12. Broncos - Kenny Phillips S, Miami (FL)

13. Panthers - Ryan Clady OT, Boise State

14. Bears - Chris Williams OT, Vanderbilt

15. Lions - Dominique Rogers-Cromartie CB, Tennessee State

16. Cardinals - Darren McFadden RB, Arkansas

17. Vikings - Derrick Harvey DE, Florida

18. Texans - Jonathan Stewart RB, Oregon

19. Eagles - DeSean Jackson WR, California

20. Buccaneers - Jeff Otah OT, Pittsburgh

21. Redskins - Calais Campbell DE, Miami (FL)

22. Cowboys (f/CLE) - Malcolm Kelly WR, Oklahoma

23. Steelers - Sam Baker OT, USC

24. Titans - James Hardy WR, Indiana

25. Seahawks - Rashard Mendenhall RB, Illinois

26. Jaguars - Phillip Merling DE, Clemson

27. Chargers - Reggie Smith DB, Oklahoma

28. Cowboys - Felix Jones RB, Arkansas

29. 49ers (f/IND) - Kentwan Balmer DE, North Carolina

30. Packers - Aqib Talib CB, Kansas

31. Giants - Gosder Cherilus OT, Boston College

32. Patriots - FORFEITED

BmoreBlackByrdz
01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Its possible that McFadden falls but I highly doubt he'll drop that far . Okay Raven pick

Thunder&Lightning
01-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Sweet chargers pick im glad people are startin to stay away from Balmer

Beans
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
calais is better for the bucs

01-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Talents like McFadden dont drop out of the top 10. I comprehend your reasoning but its a little too premature at this point to make such drastic considerations when we have yet to see him participate in a post-bowl event. Just wait til the combine is where Ill leave this at.

thebow305
01-31-2008, 03:39 PM
McFadden dropping out of the top 10, let alone the top 15, is just foolish.

ok phins pick.

T-RICH49
01-31-2008, 03:44 PM
WOW!KC would take Clady then go CB in RD 2

fenikz
01-31-2008, 04:06 PM
I would like to say greatest Cardinals draft ever

BGSUsteelers
01-31-2008, 04:23 PM
McFadden has bust written all over him.

Brian Baldinger, The Sporting News.

I hate to burst the bubble of Darren McFadden and all the draftniks who think he's the second coming of Adrian Peterson, but he isn't. Honestly, you shouldn't even use both names in the same sentence.

Yes, McFadden ran for a ton of yards at Arkansas and was a two-time Heisman Trophy runnerup. But I've watched him on film and up close in the Cotton Bowl, and I've seen no special qualities that will make him an exceptional running back.

McFadden has breakaway speed, I'll give him that. And he's fearless putting hits on defenders. But that's part of his problem -- he initiates contact. Unless you're built like Earl Campbell -- a mountain of a man whose career was nevertheless shortened to eight seasons because of injuries -- you won't last as a running back in the NFL by seeking contact.

A running back's most important quality is elusiveness. Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton -- all the great ones had it. So do current stars such as Peterson and LaDainian Tomlinson. Their methods differed, but these backs had the key to turning a 2-yard gain into a 22-yard gain -- and to surviving a brutal profession. They knew how to make tacklers miss. McFadden doesn't.

He also lacks the vision that is critical to finding open field. That's why he initiates contact -- he can't see the daylight to run to. He's a classic I-formation back who needs a fullback to lead the way. If the fullback gets caught in traffic, McFadden runs right up his back, rarely making the cut that would allow him to gain more yards.

I do believe an Arkansas running back should go in the first round of the draft. That would be Felix Jones, who, like McFadden, is a junior who is expected to declare for the draft. With his vision, moves and speed, Jones will be a better pro than McFadden.

When the Saints played at Chicago in Week 17, Pierre Thomas of New Orleans made his first NFL start. Thomas was an undrafted rookie out of Illinois, but you couldn't tell by watching him. He showed nifty moves, great vision and balance, power up the middle, soft hands and the ability to break tackles. He ran for 105 yards on 20 carries and caught 12 passes for another 121 yards. Reggie Bush has never had an NFL game like that.

Fact is, I'd take Thomas over McFadden, straight up. In a heartbeat.

hugegmenfan
01-31-2008, 04:30 PM
terrible giants pick

bored of education
01-31-2008, 04:37 PM
LOL at this guy. Chiefs run a cover 2 defense. they dont need a CB this early in a draft that has plenty solid cover 2 CBs in round 2-5. so clady, mcfadden, anyone but a cb would be better

defensiveback23
01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Nice pick for the Chargers. Smith is a perfect fit.

brat316
01-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Brian Balldinger is a clown(I base those fact solely on when he talks on tv, and does eagles games), i read that article, it was up in these forums at one point and time people were arguing about it.

Anyways if McFadden falls sure, but why do the Bear pass him up or raiders Al Davis passing on that yeah right.

I guess its a good pick for the Cards, but I am not a fan of him.

Eagles why do they pick WR rather Cb or De or S hell even OT, with all the corner getting picked really high, that leaves the Eagles to choose from Reggie Smith someone who can play cb and S, or an OT.

Steelers I guess Sam Baker is a good pick I would have went with a run blocker OT, they need to get back to running it hard up the middle. I like Gosder Cherilus better but still a good pick.

Bills2083
01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Bad Bills pick. If you want us going CB there, Talib is better, IMO.

also, I really dont see McFadden falling out of the top 15, let alone the top 10

Jensen
01-31-2008, 05:52 PM
That has to be the best Cardinals pick ever.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-31-2008, 06:06 PM
good Oakland pick.

JoeSixPac
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I can see McFadden falling from the Top 5, right now I don't see him droping from the top 10 thought.

Keep in mind that last year at this time everyone thought Brady Quinn and Alan Branch were going top 5. we all know what happen to them, dropped like a stone.

JoeSixPac
01-31-2008, 06:09 PM
btw, I the steelers pick is solid. I would prefer Jeff Otah, and I see the Steelers moving up to get him in the Draft.

BaLLiN
01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
I wouldnt see why the giants would pick and OT in the first, but i guess its good value there

msealy2
01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Very good Vikings pick, I agree that McFadden won't drop that far.

DeathbyStat
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
McFadden has bust written all over him.

Brian Baldinger, The Sporting News.

I hate to burst the bubble of Darren McFadden and all the draftniks who think he's the second coming of Adrian Peterson, but he isn't. Honestly, you shouldn't even use both names in the same sentence.

Yes, McFadden ran for a ton of yards at Arkansas and was a two-time Heisman Trophy runnerup. But I've watched him on film and up close in the Cotton Bowl, and I've seen no special qualities that will make him an exceptional running back.

McFadden has breakaway speed, I'll give him that. And he's fearless putting hits on defenders. But that's part of his problem -- he initiates contact. Unless you're built like Earl Campbell -- a mountain of a man whose career was nevertheless shortened to eight seasons because of injuries -- you won't last as a running back in the NFL by seeking contact.

A running back's most important quality is elusiveness. Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton -- all the great ones had it. So do current stars such as Peterson and LaDainian Tomlinson. Their methods differed, but these backs had the key to turning a 2-yard gain into a 22-yard gain -- and to surviving a brutal profession. They knew how to make tacklers miss. McFadden doesn't.

He also lacks the vision that is critical to finding open field. That's why he initiates contact -- he can't see the daylight to run to. He's a classic I-formation back who needs a fullback to lead the way. If the fullback gets caught in traffic, McFadden runs right up his back, rarely making the cut that would allow him to gain more yards.

I do believe an Arkansas running back should go in the first round of the draft. That would be Felix Jones, who, like McFadden, is a junior who is expected to declare for the draft. With his vision, moves and speed, Jones will be a better pro than McFadden.

When the Saints played at Chicago in Week 17, Pierre Thomas of New Orleans made his first NFL start. Thomas was an undrafted rookie out of Illinois, but you couldn't tell by watching him. He showed nifty moves, great vision and balance, power up the middle, soft hands and the ability to break tackles. He ran for 105 yards on 20 carries and caught 12 passes for another 121 yards. Reggie Bush has never had an NFL game like that.

Fact is, I'd take Thomas over McFadden, straight up. In a heartbeat.

Baldinger is ********...mcfadden will be a top ten pick he could be a bust but he is no bigger chance to bust then adrian Petterson did coming out of college

nobodyinparticular
01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Baker is just about the worst fit possible for the Steelers. He is not nearly physically dominant enough to play in their scheme--he relies on technique and finesse.

BGSUsteelers
02-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Well if some of you would do research instead of just relying on what ESPN and other mock drafts say, you would realize that McFadden is nothing special. Baldinger may be crazy with some of his comments, but he is a lot more reliable than Todd McShay and Mel Kiper. I can almost guarentee that McFadden won't go top 5, and I am kind of sure he might not even go top 10. While dropping him to 16 may be a little extreme, it shouldn't surprise anyone if he falls somewhere around there. Some of you are the same people who thought Darnell Bing was a first round pick. And, to the guy who thought the Sam Baker pick wasn't a good one. You may be right, but I don't see the Steelers drafting Cherilus because of his attitude problems and he can't play LT. Marvell Smith has one more year left on his contract and they probably won't resign Max Starks. Colon, while not great at RT, can atleast play it, so they aren't too bad there. Baker is a good pass blocker, which they do not have. Also, Baker is more of a zone-blocking OT, which the Steelers have indicated they might switch to.

Yung Flippa
02-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Okay Ravens pick. Good Texans pick.

fischbowl
02-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Cason has degressed. From your name I'm surprised I'm not seeing Kory Lichtensteiger as a sneak in first rounder.

LonghornsLegend
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Jerry Jones would of crapped himself by the time McFadden even passed pick 7, let alone 16, if anything there is no way he lets that happen, its alot cheaper to move up to there vs #1, but even having said that, you cant compare guys like Darnell Bing and Alan Branch to McFadden...guys that are considered elite prospects dont last until pick 16, especially not skill positions...qbs slide in drafts that are not considered elite prospects, mcfadden is an elite prospect, he could slide out of the top 5 but he wont make it past 10, someone will end up taking him that doesnt even really need him...

sportsnerd23
02-01-2008, 08:09 PM
After what adrian peterson did for the Vikings last season, there is not a chance in the world that 15 teams pass on Darren Mcfadden.

iloxygenil
02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Long to the Falcons = winner.

TimD
02-01-2008, 09:20 PM
If McFadden gets to the Bears or Lions they'll take him. No doubt about it.

Dcboys94
02-01-2008, 11:41 PM
lovin the cowboys picks +rep ;)