PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams: "I want to be right here."

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Are you looking to stay with the Lions long term?

"It goes back to when I am drafted. I think I am the type of player that I feel I can change a franchise around. And it was the same thing I said when I first got drafted here. Iím a good player; Iíve also been at good programs. And I just felt I was a piece of the puzzle that could turn this thing around. And now weíre adding more pieces to the puzzle. Just because I talk about Texas and the Longhorns doesnít mean I want to go back home. This is my job; I love football I donít care where I play. Right now it is here in Detroit. And all I want to do is make plays and help the team win. I think the fans, I think the players I think the coaches misunderstand me. A lot of fans donít like my first down sign, but I donít do it for the fans, I do it for my teammates. Dang it lets start playing."

On wanting to be traded:

ďNo, I want to be right here. I feel that I can groom Calvin because Iím going to put a lot of pressure on him to be the No. 1 guy. I always say that he can be the No. 1 guy, but Iím not just going to sit there and be like ĎHere, youíre the No. 1 guy now.í Heís going to have to come and show up and compete every day and help this team win and become that No. 1 guy.ĒThat was right from Roy... and it seems like he wants to stay in Detroit.

That's good to know. If he wants to be here, it'll be great to have him. It'll also help out Stanton, if he takes over.

I just hope he doesn't try to leave after next year.

D-Unit
02-01-2008, 12:56 PM
The line has already been drawn in the sand. He's stated his wishes. This is a way to get his teammates off his back.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
The line has already been drawn in the sand. He's stated his wishes. This is a way to get his teammates off his back.

Wow... god forbid a player actually means what he says.

I have a hard time believing that he said all of that just to "get his teammates off his back". If he really wanted to leave, why would he care if his teammates disagreed? Football is a business... and I'd imagine that Roy knows that. And, wouldn't it be worse for him (from his teammates' perspective) to now push for a trade? It would be known that he lied about this.

Nice "fan" analysis... but it doesn't add up.

D-Unit
02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Wow... god forbid a player actually means what he says.

I have a hard time believing that he said all of that just to "get his teammates off his back". If he really wanted to leave, why would he care if his teammates disagreed? Football is a business... and I'd imagine that Roy knows that. And, wouldn't it be worse for him (from his teammates' perspective) to now push for a trade? It would be known that he lied about this.

Nice "fan" analysis... but it doesn't add up.
Yeah, he'd care. Why wouldn't he? I bet as soon as he said he wanted out, he had a ton of difficult phone conversations with the rest of the guys on the team. This is just a way to avoid any animosity against him in anyway from his current teammates. It'd be hard to go workout or hang out with the guys if they know he's just itching to leave.

Look at what he's saying. Read between the lines. He is already hinting to the fact that he knows he won't be the #1 receiver on the team in the near future. He saw what the Lions did in selecting CJ with the #2 pick and understands CJ is the direction the team wants to go with to be their top WR. You don't spend the #2 pick on a #2 WR. He wants to be the top guy himself and he'll find a place where he can be that. The fact that he's willing to groom CJ and talk about giving up the #1 spot, to me, only shows that he's willing do what he can before he moves on.

You're right in that it's probably not smart for him to push a trade now. And I don't think he's pushing for a trade. Cause that could mean he could be traded to any team the Lions wanted to deal him to and he's probably more comfortable in Detroit than some other team that he had no say in choosing. He has no leverage or say in where he'd go. But see... he's already made his intentions known to the Lions front office. He's putting the onus on them to make a move. That way he doesn't look like the bad guy for wanting out, but still will force the Lions to do something with him if they wish to not lose him for nothing.

Cause, see.... come the end of the season when his contract is up, he'll get to choose where he wants to go or force the Lions to franchise him, which I'm sure he'd love either way.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
That was right from Roy... and it seems like he wants to stay in Detroit.

That's good to know. If he wants to be here, it'll be great to have him. It'll also help out Stanton, if he takes over.

I just hope he doesn't try to leave after next year.

Huh? This contradicts our book. We are never going to sell any copies now if you want Roy to stay too.

I say sign him this offseason.

wingboy2999
02-01-2008, 01:52 PM
He said this awhile ago.... this was said way before we all went nuts about trade scenarios involving him.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, he'd care. Why wouldn't he? I bet as soon as he said he wanted out, he had a ton of difficult phone conversations with the rest of the guys on the team. This is just a way to avoid any animosity against him in anyway from his current teammates. It'd be hard to go workout or hang out with the guys if they know he's just itching to leave.

Look at what he's saying. Read between the lines. He is already hinting to the fact that he knows he won't be the #1 receiver on the team in the near future. He saw what the Lions did in selecting CJ with the #2 pick and understands CJ is the direction the team wants to go with to be their top WR. You don't spend the #2 pick on a #2 WR. He wants to be the top guy himself and he'll find a place where he can be that. The fact that he's willing to groom CJ and talk about giving up the #1 spot, to me, only shows that he's willing do what he can before he moves on.

Why would he care if he isn't the number 1 as long as he gets a good contract. Does Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison care. Does TJ Housh care. As long as he gets a nice sized contract and the Lions are contending/playing in meaningful games like they were in the first half of the season/early second half, he can be happy in Detroit. Maybe he wants to see the Lions grow and be successful. He's put alot of hard work in for them.

You're right in that it's probably not smart for him to push a trade now. And I don't think he's pushing for a trade. Cause that could mean he could be traded to any team the Lions wanted to deal him to and he's probably more comfortable in Detroit than some other team that he had no say in choosing. He has no leverage or say in where he'd go. But see... he's already made his intentions known to the Lions front office. He's putting the onus on them to make a move. That way he doesn't look like the bad guy for wanting out, but still will force the Lions to do something with him if they wish to not lose him for nothing.

Roy has a lot of the power in any trade because any trade should be a trade with a contract in place for Roy with his next team. No team would trade for Roy if they didn't sign him to a long term contract.

Cause, see.... come the end of the season when his contract is up, he'll get to choose where he wants to go or force the Lions to franchise him, which I'm sure he'd love either way.

Well if the Lions do well and we offer him a nice contract, maybe in December, he could very well take it. If not franchise him. This at least buys more timeto try to sign him by July 15th or you could still trade him for a 1st if he is incredibly unhappy in April. Why trade him this year when Calvin isn't ready yet, Martz is gone and our OCs are questionable, and Roy will be playing incredibly hard(because it is a contract year).

ESimsfan87
02-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Good topic for me to finally sign in on. It's been a long long time...

Anyways, thank god Roy wants to be here. I really think that these players could care less what team they're on throughout their career. If they get old and they still have talent they know they can just join some gravytrain team like the pats did with Moss during the draft. It's really all speculation in the media. If you were a beat writer what else would you have to write about? There can't be much because no one ever leads onto anything in this organization. Besides I really feel like there's a huge difference in the mentality between Roy and Big Fat @ss Baby.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Cause, see.... come the end of the season when his contract is up, he'll get to choose where he wants to go or force the Lions to franchise him, which I'm sure he'd love either way.That... right there... is the biggest flaw with your argument.

This isn't about money with Roy... it's about the situation. If it was about money, Roy would just ask for/demand a new contract. If it's the situation... the departure of Martz, CJ, Texas, the losing... he wouldn't "love" being franchised. He'd want out at all costs.

The article that sparked this was the article about KJ and Roy and how each hopes the other will be franchised. Why? Because, as the article explained, neither wants to be here.

Huh? This contradicts our book. We are never going to sell any copies now if you want Roy to stay too.

I say sign him this offseason.No! No contradictions!

It all comes down to what Roy wants. If Roy doesn't want to be here and will try to leave after the season, I'd rather trade him now and improve the defense. If he actually wants to stay, I'd love to have him. He adds a lot to the offense... when he's wearing our uniform.

I was thinking about that, though... if he really wants to be here, why not sign a new contract? Give him a bit more and keep him here for 2-3 more years.

It would make sense. We'll see...

D-Unit
02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Ah ok. Roy not wanting to be franchised is just another telling sign that he wants out... Which I've been saying all along.

WMD
02-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, Kevin Jones not wanting to be here was a result of Mike Martz being here. I'm sure Kevin Jones is just fine now.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, Kevin Jones not wanting to be here was a result of Mike Martz being here. I'm sure Kevin Jones is just fine now.Coletto not having faith in his RB group can't help KJs satisfaction with the team right now.

Either way, if he can get healthy and gets the ball, he'll be fine.

Ah ok. Roy not wanting to be franchised is just another telling sign that he wants out... Which I've been saying all along.
Yeah... that has been the talk all along. We've been going back and forth about Roy and his status with the team.

But, I'll take his word over "just another report" on the internet. If he says he wants to be here, I'll believe that until I hear him say otherwise (or until he leaves).

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I was thinking about that, though... if he really wants to be here, why not sign a new contract? Give him a bit more and keep him here for 2-3 more years.

Exactly. Offer him a contract this offseason. If he doesn't take it now, offer him again in December(assuming we have the cap room, much like Bob Sanders) If we are winning in December, the probability of him signing it is much higher. If we're not winning, he probably won't sign it, you franchise him in February and trade him in April. Much like how John Abraham was moved.

D-Unit
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Exactly. Offer him a contract this offseason. If he doesn't take it now, offer him again in December(assuming we have the cap room, much like Bob Sanders) If we are winning in December, the probability of him signing it is much higher. If we're not winning, he probably won't sign it, you franchise him in February and trade him in April. Much like how John Abraham was moved.
He won't sign the contract cause he wants out.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 03:35 PM

This is what kills me, D.

How exactly do you know that? A report? Random fan talk on the internet? Roger Goodell? Mr. Roy himself?

No... you don't. Roy even came out and said that he wanted to stay... and, to you, that means he definitely wants to leave.

Roy may want out and Roy may want to stay... or, Roy may just want to wait and see what happens. Either way, neither of us really know what Roy wants. Stop pretending.

D-Unit
02-01-2008, 03:37 PM
It's called...

http://www.vella-zarb.com/thomas/rebus41.jpg

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 03:46 PM
It's called...

http://www.vella-zarb.com/thomas/rebus41.jpg

Yeah. Right.

Keep telling yourself that, prophet. None of us actually know... the rest of us can admit it.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-01-2008, 03:59 PM

How are you so sure he wants out? Besides a Kowalski report that Roy has disputed, I haven't seen anything else. If he doesn't sign it this offseason, he's under contract to play for the Lions. And its a contract year for Roy. That means he's going to play his butt off this year. I expect maximum contract year production out of Roy. If we're winning, things change. Offer him again in December. You're gonna tell me if the Lions finally have a good season and Roy is offered a nice contract in December he won't take it. If he doesn't take the second offer. Then you know he really wants out. Then its franchise time. If someone will trade a 1st rounder for him this year, someone will trade a 1st rounder next. Whoever needs a receiver next year will consider Roy as a very good option. Hiss value will should increase if he has a great year too. Its what the Jets did with John Abraham, which turned into Nick Mangold.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
How are you so sure he wants out? Besides a Kowalski report that Roy has disputed, I haven't seen anything else. If he doesn't sign it this offseason, he's under contract to play for the Lions. And its a contract year for Roy. That means he's going to play his butt off this year. I expect maximum contract year production out of Roy. If we're winning, things change. Offer him again in December. You're gonna tell me if the Lions finally have a good season and Roy is offered a nice contract in December he won't take it. If he doesn't take the second offer. Then you know he really wants out. Then its franchise time. If someone will trade a 1st rounder for him this year, someone will trade a 1st rounder next. Whoever needs a receiver next year will consider Roy as a very good option. Hiss value will should increase if he has a great year too. Its what the Jets did with John Abraham, which turned into Nick Mangold.

I wouldn't worry about him. You made sense, but sense doesn't work with everyone.

D-Unit
02-01-2008, 04:19 PM
It's not that I'm saying I'm right or wrong. I'm saying it because that's what I believe. That's what a forum is for... Sharing your thoughts.

What? You guys think all your own posts are factual?

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 04:23 PM

No.

We have conversations that play on different scenarios. "If we trade Roy...", "If we keep Roy..."... just conversations.

You've said, time and time again, that "Roy wants out". That's not conversation on the topic... you seem to think it's fact.

If you don't think it's fact, why even say it? It adds nothing to the question at hand.

If you do think it's fact, that leads us here.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-01-2008, 04:44 PM
It's not that I'm saying I'm right or wrong. I'm saying it because that's what I believe. That's what a forum is for... Sharing your thoughts.

I didn't say I was right or wrong. I don't know if Roy wants out or not. As Tactica said, I laid out a scenario to find out. Offer him a contract this offseason. If he says no thanks then it probably means he wants to play for a winner. Next part, if the Lions have a good season, offer him a contract again in December. Maybe he has changed his tune with a winning season. Winning often changes many players tunes. For example, Randy Moss a model teammate this year.

Based on his past performance, he should play well(though its not a given), its a contract year for him(motivating great play, see Corey Redding, Albert Haynesworth etc.). If he says no in December, it probably means we had yet another losing season or he just rely wants out to go to Texas etc. At that point, you have to use the franchise tag. You can't just let him walk out the door in March. Oh well, we had a good run. No that doesn't work. Even Millen isn't that stupid. You franchise him, of course he doesn't like it, but at that point there should be trade suitors out there. Roy has to agree to sign there but teams can be very persuasive with money. It won't stricly be Texas teams vying/enticing Roy. Teams that need a number 1 wideout should pay for Roy in April 2009.

D-Unit
02-01-2008, 06:19 PM
No.

We have conversations that play on different scenarios. "If we trade Roy...", "If we keep Roy..."... just conversations.

You've said, time and time again, that "Roy wants out". That's not conversation on the topic... you seem to think it's fact.

If you don't think it's fact, why even say it? It adds nothing to the question at hand.

If you do think it's fact, that leads us here.
Well, I have pointed out several things that a normal Lions homer would ignore to see. So you have to appreciate that. Nobody else has brought up the things I have said about Roy's statements. They are not totally off base. You should consider it, like MNYM has... instead of just blindly believe what you read since it sounds like something you want to hear.

TacticaLion
02-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, I have pointed out several things that a normal Lions homer would ignore to see. So you have to appreciate that. Nobody else has brought up the things I have said about Roy's statements. They are not totally off base. You should consider it, like MNYM has... instead of just blindly believe what you read since it sounds like something you want to hear.

What?

Roy came out and said that he'd like to stay with the team... you *know*, somehow, that he doesn't want to be here.

Ready?

I have Roy stating that he wants to stay in Detroit, and D-Unit somehow knowing that he wants out. How does D-Unit know this?

Because he can "R|E|A|D|I|N|G".

Now do you see my point? You can assume and guess all you'd like, but, until something happens or Roy says something different, I'll take him at his word.

Brothgar
02-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Could this just be a ploy to raise his trade value?

TacticaLion
02-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Could this just be a ploy to raise his trade value?You think Roy would want to come out and raise his own trade value? If he wants out of Det, why would he want that? It would do 2 things: make it harder to move him, and give the Lions more in return for him.

You'd think he'd want to lower his own trade value if he wanted out. Roy wanted the Lions to pick CJ, which is why I think this article is accurate to how he feels.

Brothgar
02-02-2008, 01:01 PM
You think Roy would want to come out and raise his own trade value? If he wants out of Det, why would he want that? It would do 2 things: make it harder to move him, and give the Lions more in return for him.

You'd think he'd want to lower his own trade value if he wanted out. Roy wanted the Lions to pick CJ, which is why I think this article is accurate to how he feels.

If the Lions said "Roy look if we get a first round pick for you; you can leave Detroit this off-season." Now for arguments sake let us just say that the highest pick offered was the 49ers 2nd. If he wants out now he has to raise his trade value.

bearsfan_51
02-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I find it incredibly hard to believe that he would resign with the team with Calvin Johnson being the #1 receiver. I also find it hard to believe that they will allocate that much money to the receiver spot, even Millen.

All this says to me is that, as D pointed out, he would prefer not to be traded. I think his longterm future with the team was severed the minute they drafted Johnson.

Brothgar
02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I find it incredibly hard to believe that he would resign with the team with Calvin Johnson being the #1 receiver. I also find it hard to believe that they will allocate that much money to the receiver spot, even Millen.

All this says to me is that, as D pointed out, he would prefer not to be traded. I think his longterm future with the team was severed the minute they drafted Johnson.

I'm not saying your wrong but there have been instances where 2 HOF (potentially) WRs were on the same team. Look at Issac Bruce and Torry Holt. I mean it CAN work out. Of course this is no longer the Mike Martz offense and also not a winning team like the Rams were.

Xiomera
02-02-2008, 01:06 PM

Well . . . that all sounds logical and everything, but some guys might view the prospect of playing opposite a high caliber WR as a good thing.

It's worked for Harrison and Wayne. And Bruce and Holt. Among others . . .

I will agree that I don't think Roy is unselfish enough to think like this, but it is possible. He has said repeatedly that he liked having CJ on the other side, and those two guys have been said to get along quite nicely.

Geo
02-02-2008, 01:08 PM
My personal thinking is that I don't expect the Lions to move him until next offseason at the earliest, maybe the offseason after that, thanks to the use of the franchise tag (which Roy Williams has no control over).

Well, maybe Martz moving to San Fran opens the door to getting the 49ers' (via the Colts) 1st round pick this year. So that's worth considering, but other than that, the Lions need him right now.

Brothgar
02-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Well . . . that all sounds logical and everything, but some guys might view the prospect of playing opposite a high caliber WR as a good thing.

It's worked for Harrison and Wayne. And Bruce and Holt. Among others . . .

I will agree that I don't think Roy is unselfish enough to think like this, but it is possible. He has said repeatedly that he liked having CJ on the other side, and those two guys have been said to get along quite nicely.

Stop reading my mind! You ... mind reading person!

bearsfan_51
02-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I think the difference in the Colts scenario, is that Wayne was given the extension because Harrison was on the decline.

Same with Bruce and Holt.

With the Lions, both players are essentially entering their primes at the same time. It makes much more sense to extend the younger player and let the older player's contract play out (like the Colts and Rams), than to extend the older player while the younger player is one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL. It's a pipe dream. You simply can't keep them both under contract for 6-7 years both under massive salaries. And even if you could, it would cripple your franchise.

Xiomera
02-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Stop reading my mind! You ... mind reading person!

Have I done it before? Or was this a one time occurrence?

Brothgar
02-02-2008, 01:10 PM
My personal thinking is that I don't expect the Lions to move him until next offseason at the earliest, maybe the offseason after that, thanks to the use of the franchise tag (which Roy Williams has no control over).

Well, maybe Martz moving to San Fran opens the door to getting the 49ers' (via the Colts) 1st round pick this year. So that's worth considering, but other than that, the Lions need him right now.

The only problem with the Franchise tag is that he would be getting the average salary of each of the top 5 players at his position. So trading him now will likely get you more than if you franchise him.

Brothgar
02-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Have I done it before? Or was this a one time occurrence?

Oh its happened before but I noticed it before I posted. Now you don't be reading my mind between the hours of 5 and 8 tonight THAT'S Willie's time!

Geo
02-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah, Wayne played out his rookie contract as the 30th overall pick in 2001, and Harrison isn't going to see the back-loaded portion of his current deal.

D-Unit
02-02-2008, 01:38 PM

The only offseason Roy could be traded in, is this offseason. He's not contracted with them after next season. If they franchise him for the 2009-10 season, he won't be under contract with them after that season either.

Of course they could trade him during the season, but I don't see that being a possibility. And if they franchise him, no one will be giving up 2 first round picks for him.

I think there will be teams willing to offer a first round pick for him now. If the Lions don't take it, they may lose him for nothing.

Geo
02-02-2008, 01:44 PM
... you can franchise tag a player and engineer a trade for him like any other player. The compensation of two 1st round picks isn't applicable in that scenario.

This isn't new.

TacticaLion
02-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I think the difference in the Colts scenario, is that Wayne was given the extension because Harrison was on the decline.

Same with Bruce and Holt.

With the Lions, both players are essentially entering their primes at the same time. It makes much more sense to extend the younger player and let the older player's contract play out (like the Colts and Rams), than to extend the older player while the younger player is one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL. It's a pipe dream. You simply can't keep them both under contract for 6-7 years both under massive salaries. And even if you could, it would cripple your franchise.

Roy asked the team to draft CJ weeks before the draft... which is where I see a flaw in your argument. He knew that CJ was talented and could become the #1, yet still asked for him to be drafted.

D-Unit
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Roy asked the team to draft CJ weeks before the draft... which is where I see a flaw in your argument. He knew that CJ was talented and could become the #1, yet still asked for him to be drafted.
Maybe Roy wanted out a long time ago.

D-Unit
02-02-2008, 02:02 PM
... you can franchise tag a player and engineer a trade for him like any other player. The compensation of two 1st round picks isn't applicable in that scenario.

This isn't new.
It's questionable that the Lions could get a first rounder for him now. If they franchise him in 2009, why would they get a first for them then? He hasn't even played one completely healthy season since entering the league.

bearsfan_51
02-02-2008, 02:03 PM

That doen't contradict anything I said at all. Williams said it himself:

"This is my job; I love football I donít care where I play. Right now it is here in Detroit."

Right now. It's funny that you would take that as anything other than a statment of, "I would prefer to not be traded this offseason". Everything else says to me, and I think most non-Lions fans reading, that he wants to groom Calvin Johnson and then peace out to a huge payday somewhere else.

Geo
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
It's questionable that the Lions could get a first rounder for him now. If they franchise him in 2009, why would they get a first for them then? He hasn't even played one completely healthy season since entering the league.
Which ties in to what I'm saying: if you don't get a 1st round pick now, if you end up with a 2nd round pick either way, there's no onus to trade Williams now. As you said, he's only played one full season so far, so it's somewhat foolish to trade him now when his stock has taken a hit from last year's injury/injuries.

The Lions have invested years and money into developing Williams, it's imperative that they reap the benefit of that development for two years more. Especially when the defense is a massive work in progress and the team needs to score as many points as possible. And Calvin Johnson, while being the future, still needs to develop.

It doesn't matter what Williams says, the fact of the matter is that the Lions can invest only so much money in two receivers. And that the Lions have the franchise tag at their disposal.

I don't quite get why this is the story and hullabaloo it is, to be perfectly honest. Pretty cut and dry to me.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-02-2008, 05:07 PM
If someone is willing to give us a first rounder this year, which is what it would take to trade him this year( in terms of a Lions stand point), someone should be willing to give us a first rounder in the 09 offseason. Other teams could value him as a second but in terms of the Lions, we have to get a first for him or its a dumb trade for us.

See my reference to the John Abraham trade earlier. Marvin,TO,Hines Ward,Joey Galloway etc will be two seasons older by the 09 offseason. If Roy has a great year, which he very well could(it is a contract year for him this year and Calvin is clearly not the number 1 receiver yet this upcoming year), we could trade him in the 09 offseason after franchising him in February. We wouldn't have to pay the franchise money if he is traded in April of 09. That is the best option if he really wants out.

To see if Roy really wants out(which nobody knows,especially message board fans)Offer him a contract in this offseason(which he probably would decline) and a contract in December(which he might take if the Lions have a good season). If we are winning and he doesn't take it, he really wants out no matter what. Calvin is on the rise but is under a contract for at least 4 more years so we don't have to worry about resigning him. Give Roy a backloaded contract(with salaries he will never see like Marvin has) and keep Roy until its time to resign Calvin 4 years down the road. Then you can make a decision on Roy if Roy has declined and if Calvin is the real deal. Its very possible to keep both. If Indy has Peyton,Reggie,Marvin,Freeney and Sanders all under large contracts, I think we can have Calvin and Roy and others. Kitna is the QB now and Stanton is the future. I want the best weapons for these guys because at least Kitna appears to only be mediocre. Stanton is TBD.

TacticaLion
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
That doen't contradict anything I said at all. Williams said it himself:

"This is my job; I love football I don’t care where I play. Right now it is here in Detroit."

Right now. It's funny that you would take that as anything other than a statment of, "I would prefer to not be traded this offseason". Everything else says to me, and I think most non-Lions fans reading, that he wants to groom Calvin Johnson and then peace out to a huge payday somewhere else.

I never said it contradicted anything you said... I said it was a flaw in your argument. You can have a flaw and not have a contradiction... big difference.

You used the "two players entering their primes" argument to differentiate it from the Harrison/Wayne scenario, but it's more than just "two players entering their primes". Considering how CJ was rated in the draft, Roy knew exactly what drafting CJ would do to the WR group, but still asked for it to happen.

CJ becoming the #1 WR on the team wont be the problem... it now comes down to how badly Roy wants to be on the team. If Roy and CJ have great years, put up solid numbers and the team succeeds, I doubt Roy will have a problem staying in Detroit. Not every player plays for the "huge payday". Quite a few players take pay cuts to remain with a successful franchise.

But, if the team struggles and Roy's stats drop drastically, I can see him wanting to leave in FA.
Williams said it himself:
You know what I find funny? You'd quote the one statement that helps your perspective, but ignore the others. You'd rather read deep into that quote and speculate his intentions, when there's another statement that spells it out:
No, I want to be right here.Yeah... Roy also said that one.

Please, BF... feel free to grab any quote you'd like and speculate. I'll stick to the one that spells it out verbatim: he wants to be here.

D-Unit
02-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Roy says verbatim, "I don't care where I play."

What more do you need to hear?

TacticaLion
02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Roy says verbatim, "I don't care where I play."

What more do you need to hear?Umm... how about: "No, I want to be right here."

He may not care where he plays (many players probably don't), but he wants to stay with the team.

What more do you need to hear?