PDA

View Full Version : Losing My Mock Draft Virginity

Nitschke-Hawk
02-02-2008, 01:29 AM
She's a 2 Rounder. This is my first Mock Draft ever. In the top 10 I expect the Dolphins to trade their pick and New England to trade theirs, amongst many other teams, but I'm going with a no trade Mock Draft. I did the whole first round (just the picks) a couple days ago and looked at it, ran through many team boards and decided to change it up.

Before starting I'd like to encourage you to read the explanation and leave the "terrible pick" type of statements out of it, it's a pretty ignorant thing to say (unless it can't be argued that it isn't an awful pick) because do you truly know what you're team is gonna do? No. That's the the whole idea of making Mock Drafts, it's not real, it's fun. Please keep the immature statements out of it. I look at a lot of Mocks and it's annoying and rude to see.

1ST ROUND

1. Miami Dolphins- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU: I have seen more of Glenn Dorsey than any other player in this draft and he's my type of player. He absolutely loves football with more passion than any Defensive Lineman I've seen. That is exactly what they want in Miami these days. We saw the real Glenn Dorsey in the BCS Championship game. Concerns include injuries and for some people-his potential (which I think is completely wrong). He could play any Defensive Line position he has to in whatever Defensive front that they choose. I feel he is the best player in the draft when you combine all factors that determine a prospect's value. If they trade down they'll have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds or 4 picks and Marion Barber.

2. St. Louis Rams- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC: I'm on the Sedrick Ellis bandwagon after seeing him up close (TV wise) during Senior Bowl Week. When I watched the Rams this past season, I liked the Rams defense, but really it's their style of defense under Jim Haslett. They are one of the few teams that attacks out of a 4-3. I think they are a stud D-Lineman and a pretty good DB away from being very good. What Sedrick Ellis will bring them is a situation where the Offensive Protection needs to decide should they double team him? or let him wreak havoc in a one on one? This is going to open up things for everybody else on that defense in pressure schemes. They've got a set of Linebackers that fly around and are very underrated, so this will help in run defense also. Concerns include that he doesn't fit as many schemes as Dorsey, he didn't have quite as much impact in games as Dorsey did when healthy, and I think that's significant because while Ellis cashes in on post season performance Dorsey did more in real games. But this is another man that you can see loves football immensely. I think he is the 2nd best player in this draft and as of now it's very close. Jake Long makes sense here too with the health of Orlando Pace combined with overall talent of the O-Line at a questionable status. Really though they have the offensive talent to score plenty.

3. Oakland Raiders- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas: I think this is just a classic Al Davis pick. Barring any teams trading up for McFadden I think he goes for the flashy offensive star at a position of moderate need. With a developed passing game I think they'd be fine with Fargas/Jordan/Bush but this just screams of an Al Davis type of move. The only other player I see here is Chris Long, for obvious reasons.

4. Atlanta Falcons- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College: I see some Falcons fans are now against getting a QB for a number of reasons. But the Falcons don't have a QB on their roster worthy of starting. Matt Ryan seems to be a sqeaky clean guy and a very clutch player. The measurables are probably not as good as the typical # 1 QB but really nobody else fits better. However, with Jeff Dmitroff as the new GM (a Patriots disciple) I can definitely see Atlanta as a "trade down candidate". Dmitroff I'm sure would like to acquire as many players as possible. They have two 2nd round picks and I don't know value for the 4th overall pick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them at least try to trade down.

5. Kansas City Chiefs- Jake Long, OT, Michigan: I had Jake Long going higher before, but decided this pick just makes too much sense. That scenario also included Ellis being picked here, but I think the best two players should be picked in the top 3 and the value of Long in this draft makes sense at # 5. If Brodie Croyle steps in as starting QB he's got his Left Tackle to protect his blindside and Larry Johnson will have improved running lanes. The acquisition of a top tier Offensive Linemen also makes his linemates better.

6. New York Jets- Chris Long, DE, Virginia: People talk about the Jets adding Gholston because of that must have freakish athlete in a 3-4 defense. But what we have here is a toy for Eric Mangini to move all over the place. When I watched Virginia this year Chris Long was lined up at several positions in their 3-4 alignment. The Jets need that signature player for their 3-4 and it can come as an OLB or D-Lineman and what we have here is a both.

7. New England Patriots (via SF)- Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio St: I would really be surprised if New England kept this pick, but if they do I think they would add a ton of athleticism to their front 7 with Vernon Gholston. I also debated Chris Long here in a Mike Vrabel type of role and I really have Gholston here because I think Mangini and the Jets are gonna fall in love with Chris Long. I think they'd slowly bring Gholston in, as they have done with Meriweather and Maroney to a lesser degree, or Chad Jackson who I think they will throw out there next year.

8. Baltimore Ravens- Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida- I just really think that with the offensive talent not worth the 8th pick, the Ravens go for defense. It's time to develop a new starting CB with the age of McCalister and Rolle. The Ravens have a history of stacking up defense 1st rounders, or developing a late round/small school type of player. Here we have a 1st round defensive player from a relatively small school (South Florida) til they burst on the scene last season. You will need to be a well rounded CB to play in Baltimore and that's why he fits.

9. Cincinnati Bengals- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (Fl)- Here is a guy who was a top 10 pick before the season, had a disappointing season and dropped to the mid to late first round. But what isn't disappointing is his athletic abilty, it never left. At around 6'8'' 275 he has the frame of a Mario Williams/Julius Peppers. Not as quick, but I think he is going to shoot up the boards at the NFL combine.

10. New Orleans Saints- Keith Rivers, OLB, USC: There are plenty of Cornerbacks for the Saints to draft later and they need an impact linebacker so much. Rivers really solidified himself after weighing in at 237 lbs at the Senior Bowl. I think he will be an awesome fit for the Saints style of defense. Maybe a USC guy for Reggie Bush to compete against on defense will help him out too.

11. Buffalo Bills- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma: A trendy pick that you see a lot. Most of their many injuries were on defense and they've been drafting defense early in the draft as well. With each Wide Receiver 6 ft and under it seems, Bills Quarterbacks need a big athletic physical target to take pressure off of everybody.

12. Denver Broncos- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt- The Broncos now need some Offensive Line help and they get it here. Williams is an athletic lineman that will fit the Broncos Zone Blocking Scheme. He's also a former temmate at Vanderbilt of QB Jay Cutler which creates instant chemistry.

13. Carolina Panthers- Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida- I don't know what in the world happened to Julius Peppers last season but he had 2.5 sacks. Looking at their roster they have 4 DE's, Mike Rucker is 32 and had 3 sacks, and then there's two young DE's. Charles Johnson won't turn 22 until June but did nothing so you at least have to think he's got a ton of potential. Darrell McGlover is another young DE who hasn't done much but has potential. With that said Carolina gets a bigger guy who could also play in a 3-4 in Derrick Harvey. If Peppers gets back to dominating and a pick like this works out, the Panthers Defense could have a dominating year. S Chris Harris put up monster numbers after being traded from the Bears. They have several young key players that have yet to hit their prime or are in it including Beason, Davis, Marshall, Gamble, Harris, Peppers, Lucas, Jenkins, and Kemoeatu. I like a lot of their players.

14. Chicago Bears- Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: Gosder projects better as Right Tackle than Left Tackle in the NFL and that's where Chicago's biggest O Line hole is. They can also move him to Left Tackle when John Tait is gone as he is one of several O Lineman that are aging on their team. I think he'd be a great fit and is tough and rugged just what the Bears need.

15. Detroit Lions- Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy: I'm gonna be honest I don't know much about him except that he's a good kick returner, has big program athletic and playing ability and hails from a small school.

16. Arizona Cardinals-Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas- Maybe the Cornerback I've seen the most of, along with Antione Cason, and it's not that much. But with the move of Antrell Rolle to Free Safety they need a CB with no premier rush backers available. It seems they like big physical DB's in Arizona and he fits that mold.

17. Minnesota Vikings- Kenny Philips, S, Miami (Fl): Dwight Smith is nothing special at Free Safety, Darren Sharper is getting old and their CB's are good but not great. I know a lot of Vikings fans like Philips here if he's on the board.

18. Houston Texans- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.: While Houston's O Line has definitely played better, and David Carr leaving is a big part of that, they still don't have a lineman that stands out at all. Every good team needs to be strong in the trenches. They've got that on the defensive side already. Clady is athletic and has some experience in a similar scheme at Boise St. and would be an awesome fit.

19. Philadelphia Eagles- DeSean Jackson, WR, California: He may not be the best fit for a West Coast Offense but he can add a dynamic dimension to this offense. He will stretch the field deep, run screens, run routes well, all he needs is seperation and he will make plays. Not to mention his awesome return ability.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame: I will probably get criticism for this one but I think he'll fit well in Tampa. Had an impressive Senior Bowl week. It's early, I may move him back in the future but I really like him with the Bucs. A Tampa 2 type of DT plays extremely hard had like 100 tackles last year.

21. Washington Redskins- Sam Baker, OT, USC: They have a good offensive line when healthy but right now they are aging and unhealthy. Baker is athletic and is a Left Tackle but most assume he could play at Right Tackle and Guard.

22. Dallas Cowboys (via CLE)- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St.: Big questions in the Secondary with Hamlin as a Free Agent, Williams not really good at anything except blitzing, Anthony Henry getting older but rumored to be going to Free Safety. The only thing you can count on there right now is Terence Newman so they get the athletic fast rising playmaker. Also showed he could play some safety while at the Senior Bowl.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers- Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh: This is a mammoth of a man who is a bit raw as a player. Hasn't been playing as long as most guys but has loads of potential. He can start out at Right Tackle, get his technique refined and move to Left Tackle if needed. There's big questions with the Pittsburgh O Line giving up tons of QB pressure and Faneca on his way out. Obviously a Pittsburgh guy.

24. Tennessee Titans- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas: Sweed has been sort of dropping because he hasn't really recovered from his injury during the season but he should be ready to go at the combine and you know Tennessee will give Vince Young every chance to succeed especially after firing the heralded offensive coordinator Norm Chow. Teammates at Texas.

25. Seattle Seahawks- Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon: The best player on a team with the most exotic uniforms in college goes to nearby Seattle to the most exotic uniforms in the NFL. Mo Morris is nothing special and Shaun Alexander is turning into a waste of money and talent for a combination of reasons. Stewart has the potetial to be an elite NFL RB and personally I think he should go a lot higher, but it's easy to get RB's these days. If he threw TD passes and played some Receiver he'd probably be in McFadden's spot. I suppose running out of the spread, minor injuries, only 1 great season hurts his stock a bit.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars- Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson: If either Campbell or Merling are on the board in rel life I think they will take one of them. They want the big physical freaks in Jacksoville and they get a beast of a man here with Bobby McCray a Free agent, Spicer/Heyward are either old or declining or are soon to be.

27. San Diego Chargers- Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska. Seems to be a question mark at Right Tackle and Nicks is a very large man that can out physical opponents on the right side.

28. Dallas Cowboys- Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas-Trendy pick, and for good reason. Jerry Jones has to get one of the RB's from Arkansas.

29. San Francisco 49ers (via IND)- Kentwan Balmer, DL, North Carolina- 49ers really need a D_Lineman to get this 3-4 going. Balmer fits at End and seems to have a lot of potential.

30. Green Bay Packers- Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona: Well we need a CB to get ready for the future. What I like most is that Cason is a four year starter, it's tough to do that anywhere. He's racked up something like 70 tackles a year. Makes plays on the ball. He's an all around CB, but not great physical abilities, at least that's what we all hear. But really no one we have at CB is a great athlete, we're more about playing style and mentality.

31. New York Giants- Philip Wheeler, OLB, Georgia Tech: I think this is the perfect scheme for Wheeler. Georgia Tech is a blitzing 4-3 team and his transition to the Giants would be awesome. They may have bigger needs but I just love the fit here and starting with the Senior Bowl he's mobing up boards.

2ND ROUND

33. Miami Dolphins- Dan Connor, LB, Penn St.: They need a young inside LB for the 3-4.

34. St. Louis Rams- Reggie Smith, S, Oklahoma: Well I said they needed a DB along with Ellis.

35. Atlanta Falcons- Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois: Warrick Dunn is unfortunately old and Norwood isn't a workload type of back.

36. Kansas City Chiefs- Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana: One of the better Cover 2 CB prospects and they got a bunch of age with Law and Surtain.

37. New York Jets- Pat Sims, DT, Auburn: Just realized I went with two D Lineman but Sims could play NT or End.

38. Oakland Raiders- Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC: They need a Strong Side End and he's a local product.

39. Baltimore Ravens- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville: In my original version I had Brohm going to the Bucs but after looking through their forum they seem to think he doesn't fit their offense and any other team that picked him he'd be an automatic backup or they had bigger needs.

40. San Francisco 49ers- Early Doucet, WR, L.S.U.: Probably a 1st round pick if he was healthy all year and still has a chance at it. He's tough guy, a screen machine and he goes over the middle.

41. New Orleans Saints- Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn: Physical Cover 2 prospect.

42. Buffalo Bills- Ali Highsmith, OLB, L.S.U: They need a guy that flies around at OLB to set off that Tampa 2 type of scheme.

43. Denver Broncos- Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland: Just keep Williams at MLB, Gold can't be that bad and evey time I watched them Nate Webster was awful. They get a new big SAM linebacker.

44. Carolina Panthers - Chad Henne, QB, Michigan: Even if Delhomme is healthy they still need another QB especially for the future. Moore hasn't proved anything.

45. Chicago Bears- Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan St.- I don't know much about him but I know he put up pretty big numbers. Berrian might be gone, Muhammed is old, and Hester isn't a starter yet, a QB needs people to throw to.

46. Detroit Lions- Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn: They need a defensive end that actually fits the Tampa 2.

47. Cincinnati Bengals- Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M: Give Palmer a big target, and if Johnson is gone they need to find receiving from Chris Henry and a pass catching Tight End.

48. Minnesota Vikings- Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan: Brad Childress doesn't want WR's in the 1st well here's another in the 2nd to go with Sidney Rice. Manningham is deadly on the play action and they need that wiith that insane running game and a young developing QB.

49. Atlanta Falcons (from Houston Texans)- Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas- Atlanta needs a OT bad and this will go well with Mendenhall and Ryan even though I'd like to go defense here. (lol just realized I got a Va Tech CB with the next pick)

50. Philadelphia Eagles- Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech- A CB that comes from the always strong defense of Va Tech to the Eagles' in your face secondary.

51. Arizona Cardinals- Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California: I know we'd all like to get starters in the 1st and 2nd round. He won't start but he could be killer in the slot. They have strong power players at every offensive skill position. They need more speed and this could really open up this offense.

52. Washington Redskins- Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa- A physical athletic CB for Blache.

53. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina: If Cadillac Williams bounces back and Graham is there this isn't an ideal pick but if it's still up in the air Jon Gruden could have a fun new toy to play with. Charlie Garner had a ton of receptions when they were in Oakland. Johnson will give them a ton of speed and mismatch ability in the passing game from RB.

54. Pittsburgh Steelers- James Hardy, WR, Indiana: You want Big receivers Big Ben? You get all 6'7'' or whatever he is of James Hardy.

55. Tennessee Titans- Fred Davis, TE, USC: Here's a guy they can put in the slot or line up at regular TE and catch passes, run a two TE set with Bo Scaife and do all kinds of things.

56. Seattle Seahawks- John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame: Hasselbeck's gonna get killed if he doesn't have a TE to help him out asap. He's the blocker and receiver they want in a West Coast Offense Tight End.

57. Cleveland Browns- Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan: McGinest is old, Wimbley needs somebody opposite him. I think he'd be a great fit. They should just let McGinest coach these two and not play?

58. Miami Dolphins (from San Diego Chargers)- Branden Albert, OG, Virginia: Now's the time to get a lineman and I originally gave them Jake Long.

59. Jacksonville Jaguars- Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida: They need speed on offense, specifically at WR, Northcutt is a similar receiver and he let them in receptions amongst those big guys. They could use more of that.

60. Indianapolis Colts- Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech: Tampa 2 scheme is based on quickness everywhere and they can move him all over the defensive line.

61. Green Bay Packers- Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon St.: May not be a great fit for the Zone Blocking Scheme but we've been running different things. It's tough to pick players when needs and player talent doesn't match up.

62. Dallas Cowboys- Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt: They could use another receiver and other needs/player talent doesn't match.

63P. New York Giants- Justin King, CB, Penn St: They need another CB for the future.

64P. New England Patriots -Thomas DeCoud, S, California: I think this is a Belicheck type of guy and a good fit to replace Harrison, but do they really need anything?

Rich Jr
02-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Good first round pick.

41. New Orleans Saints- Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn: Physical Cover 2 prospect.

We run a man to man scheme so Brandon Flowers works better there.

Caddy
02-02-2008, 02:04 AM
I dislike the Buccaneers selections on quite a few different levels at the moment. Laws would be a good fit, but reaching for him in the 1st seems kind of pointless to me. RB is not a 1st day need. Earnest Graham is a more than adequate back who showed he can carry the load so even if RB became a need it would only be filled on Day 1 if a big namer drops, otherwise it is a 4th and later need.

Jakey
02-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Great Steelers draft...A+

LonghornsLegend
02-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Great job with Dallas, I think the first pick is definately and it comes down to Talib and DRC because both guys are bigger and fit our scheme really well, I like DRC more then Talib but Talib has size and weight that might work well with our physical style...but id love DRC, I really think he will be here at this pick, and we will have the first shot at taking him before any other team

Felix Jones is a trendy pick, but i could also see that pick being a wr and a rb in the 2nd if charles or chris johnson is available...

one a side note, Stewart is a perfect fit and hometown guy for Seattle but its no way he last that long...He is only going to have his stock increase from now to the draft, if Seattle wants him they have to trade up

diabsoule
02-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Great first round pick for the Saints but in the second give us Curtis Lofton, Erin Henderson, or Charles Godrey over Patrick Lee.

Gay Ork Wang
02-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Hmm bears need a RT BUT they need to draft a LT because Tait is a way better RT than LT

Matthew Jones
02-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Not bad for the Patriots. I prefer Keith Rivers to Vernon Gholston because he's more of an inside linebacker, which is what we need, but Gholston could sit behind Vrabel for a year or two and then take over.

Bills2083
02-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Good round 1 for Buffalo
In the 2nd, I like Erin Henderson and Quentin Groves better than Highsmith. But I'd be okay with that pick

UK Cards Fan
02-02-2008, 08:10 AM
A+ for the effort, but I have to say that I do not like the Cards' mock.

Yes, we need a CB, but we need a guy who could go up against #1 WRs. We have two perfectly good #2 CBs in Eric Green and Rod Hood. What we lack is someone who can have some success as a #1 CB. Yes, I know that you are unlikely to draft a guy who can be that straight away, but I don't think Talib can ever be that guy. He profiles as a good #2 but the lack of speed concerns me against the top WRs. Frankly, if McKelvin and Jenkins are gone, unless we want to take a risk on DRC or Cason has the surprise combine that some are predicting, I believe we are best avoiding CB in the first. The way the board has fallen, the best available pick is definitely Jonathan Stewart, who may be able to breathe some life into our running game, which is just 3 yards here, 2 there and 4 to finish off. Edge lacks any real explosion now and is just a very good, workmanlike back whilst a team who is looking to adopt a run first approach needs more than that.

That is also the reason I don't like the 2nd round selection. I don't think Whiz likes to run 3 WR sets that much, and when we do, we are likely to have enough there even when we lose B.J. Steve Breaston has obvious deep speed on the outside and Anquan Boldin is a terrific receiver over the middle as well, whilst Jereheme Urban showed enough promise last year to deserve a second look. If we had Denny Green here, then the pick would make sense, but it doesn't with Whiz's traditional philosophy. Again, the way the board has fallen, personally I would prefer John Carlson. We need a TE who can block and receive in Whiz's offense and whilst we have two very capable receiving TEs in Ben Patrick and Leonard Pope, we do not have one who can realistically be counted on as a blocking TE. John Carlson is a 3 down TE who is capable of blocking and going out and making the catches which is why I think he is as much of a need pick as a value pick. Either that, or take a flier on a guy who could profile as a #1 CB down the road.

Xiomera
02-02-2008, 08:12 AM
15. Detroit Lions- Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy: I'm gonna be honest I don't know much about him except that he's a good kick returner, has big program athletic and playing ability and hails from a small school.

TERRIBLE PICK

Just kidding, I will explain . . . haha

McKelvin isn't a fit for the Lions Tampa 2. Aqib Talib is the better CB for us to select, and you have him going one pick later.

Jeff Otah would have also been a nice pick for Detroit.

Rich Jr
02-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Great first round pick for the Saints but in the second give us Curtis Lofton, Erin Henderson, or Charles Godrey over Patrick Lee.**** I didn't even see Lofton on the board.

msealy2
02-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Very good Vikings draft. I think Phillips has the ability to come in and play right away. Although Clady would be a very nice pick also. Manningham would be a very good compliment to Rice. Rice and Manningham would be a start for a very good WR corps for us.

I know you didn't forcast trades or anything. However, If Gholsten fell to where the Patriots pick, I would like to see the Vikings trade up for him. Not sure they would, but he would be excellent for our pass rush.

JCutlery
02-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Good Denver picks, though I'd rather have Mario Manningham in the 2nd.

DiG
02-02-2008, 10:00 AM
i like godfrey in rd 2 but baker over otah is craziness.

princefielder28
02-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Why would Green Bay select a guard in round 2? If the Packers are going to address the line make it as a tackle.

02-02-2008, 10:38 AM
As much as Al Davis loves physical freaks I doubt he passes on any elite player with family ties to the organization.

summond822
02-02-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna be honest I love this mock. The hawks get Stewart and Carlson. I am a little higher on Martellus Bennett than Carlson right now because I believe he is more athletic and I think he could become one of the elite TE's in recent memory, so I can only hope that he falls to us. I'm not too upset with getting Carlson there though.

TACKLE
02-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't think Mendenhall will fall to the 2nd. If he's there in the late first a team might take him because he's the BPA or somebody might trade up to get him. I think Cherilus is a bit high. He had a good Senior Bowl but is probably only a RT at the next level. All in all a solid mock. One of the better one's I've seen in a while. Good Job.

Nitschke-Hawk
02-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Replies:

Good first round pick.

We run a man to man scheme so Brandon Flowers works better there.

Oh okay wasn't quite sure, you do keep two safeties back all the time right? I think that's why I thought that.

I dislike the Buccaneers selections on quite a few different levels at the moment. Laws would be a good fit, but reaching for him in the 1st seems kind of pointless to me. RB is not a 1st day need. Earnest Graham is a more than adequate back who showed he can carry the load so even if RB became a need it would only be filled on Day 1 if a big namer drops, otherwise it is a 4th and later need.

Yeah to be honest I really don't like what I did with the Bucs picks so they will be changing for the next one.

Great Steelers draft...A+
Thanks.

Great job with Dallas, I think the first pick is definately and it comes down to Talib and DRC because both guys are bigger and fit our scheme really well, I like DRC more then Talib but Talib has size and weight that might work well with our physical style...but id love DRC, I really think he will be here at this pick, and we will have the first shot at taking him before any other team

Felix Jones is a trendy pick, but i could also see that pick being a wr and a rb in the 2nd if charles or chris johnson is available...

one a side note, Stewart is a perfect fit and hometown guy for Seattle but its no way he last that long...He is only going to have his stock increase from now to the draft, if Seattle wants him they have to trade up

Yeah I'm very high on Stewart, everybody's gonna go nuts when they see him at the combine. A few people are starting to put him higher and I completely support it.

Great first round pick for the Saints but in the second give us Curtis Lofton, Erin Henderson, or Charles Godrey over Patrick Lee.

Isn't it normally taboo to draft two guys from the same position (LB) with the first two picks. Patrick Lee will be changed for the next one because yourself and RichJr informed me that he doesn't fit.

Hmm bears need a RT BUT they need to draft a LT because Tait is a way better RT than LT

lol I think Tait was playing well at LT the previous two seasons but obviously they all stunk this year. I will probably change this one too combined with the fact that Cherilus seems to be dropping with everybody else rising.

Not bad for the Patriots. I prefer Keith Rivers to Vernon Gholston because he's more of an inside linebacker, which is what we need, but Gholston could sit behind Vrabel for a year or two and then take over.

I think if NE had a choice between C Long and Gholston they would take Long, he just lights up as a Patriot guy to me but I took him the pick before. I don't think they could go wrong with any of these guys.

Good round 1 for Buffalo
In the 2nd, I like Erin Henderson and Quentin Groves better than Highsmith. But I'd be okay with that pick

Yeah I was wondering did Poz play Will or Sam? Can't have two Wills there so you're right.

A+ for the effort, but I have to say that I do not like the Cards' mock.

Yes, we need a CB, but we need a guy who could go up against #1 WRs. We have two perfectly good #2 CBs in Eric Green and Rod Hood. What we lack is someone who can have some success as a #1 CB. Yes, I know that you are unlikely to draft a guy who can be that straight away, but I don't think Talib can ever be that guy. He profiles as a good #2 but the lack of speed concerns me against the top WRs. Frankly, if McKelvin and Jenkins are gone, unless we want to take a risk on DRC or Cason has the surprise combine that some are predicting, I believe we are best avoiding CB in the first. The way the board has fallen, the best available pick is definitely Jonathan Stewart, who may be able to breathe some life into our running game, which is just 3 yards here, 2 there and 4 to finish off. Edge lacks any real explosion now and is just a very good, workmanlike back whilst a team who is looking to adopt a run first approach needs more than that.

That is also the reason I don't like the 2nd round selection. I don't think Whiz likes to run 3 WR sets that much, and when we do, we are likely to have enough there even when we lose B.J. Steve Breaston has obvious deep speed on the outside and Anquan Boldin is a terrific receiver over the middle as well, whilst Jereheme Urban showed enough promise last year to deserve a second look. If we had Denny Green here, then the pick would make sense, but it doesn't with Whiz's traditional philosophy. Again, the way the board has fallen, personally I would prefer John Carlson. We need a TE who can block and receive in Whiz's offense and whilst we have two very capable receiving TEs in Ben Patrick and Leonard Pope, we do not have one who can realistically be counted on as a blocking TE. John Carlson is a 3 down TE who is capable of blocking and going out and making the catches which is why I think he is as much of a need pick as a value pick. Either that, or take a flier on a guy who could profile as a #1 CB down the road.

I see what you mean, I'll be making adjustments to it.

TERRIBLE PICK
Just kidding, I will explain . . . haha

McKelvin isn't a fit for the Lions Tampa 2. Aqib Talib is the better CB for us to select, and you have him going one pick later.

Jeff Otah would have also been a nice pick for Detroit.

Yeah this was a case of not knowing much about the prospect. Combine that with everybody all over him now and I just felt push comes to shove it's better to get the consensus better player, but yeah he doesn't fit and Talib does.

Very good Vikings draft. I think Phillips has the ability to come in and play right away. Although Clady would be a very nice pick also. Manningham would be a very good compliment to Rice. Rice and Manningham would be a start for a very good WR corps for us.

I know you didn't forcast trades or anything. However, If Gholsten fell to where the Patriots pick, I would like to see the Vikings trade up for him. Not sure they would, but he would be excellent for our pass rush.

Yeah they do need a DE that could be something to look out for in the real draft, the Vikings trading up. As a Packer fan that would scare me more than the other two picks when you have Gholston, and the Williams boys on the same d line.

Good Denver picks, though I'd rather have Mario Manningham in the 2nd.

Yeah that makes sense with all the playaction Denver uses.

i like godfrey in rd 2 but baker over otah is craziness.

Everybody said Baker was a top 10 pick last year, I don't understand how all these OT's could be better now even with it being a strong class. Plus he can play multiple positions for you and Otah is still raw at RT.

Why would Green Bay select a guard in round 2? If the Packers are going to address the line make it as a tackle.

The only other tackle worth it was Oniel Cousins according to rankings and I know nothing about him. LG is one of our only needs. We got the best OT tandem in the league, etc etc etc. I really don't think this needs explaining. Out of everybody else Schuening by far would have the best chance at starting.

As much as Al Davis loves physical freaks I doubt he passes on any elite player with family ties to the organization.

Yeah this will be a storyline to follow because both will probably be available.

I'm gonna be honest I love this mock. The hawks get Stewart and Carlson. I am a little higher on Martellus Bennett than Carlson right now because I believe he is more athletic and I think he could become one of the elite TE's in recent memory, so I can only hope that he falls to us. I'm not too upset with getting Carlson there though.

Thanks, I like Bennett a lot too. I think either would be a great fit, but I chose Carlson because his blocking can help the running game.

I don't think Mendenhall will fall to the 2nd. If he's there in the late first a team might take him because he's the BPA or somebody might trade up to get him. I think Cherilus is a bit high. He had a good Senior Bowl but is probably only a RT at the next level. All in all a solid mock. One of the better one's I've seen in a while. Good Job.

Thanks. Yeah I like Mendenhall a lot. As I mentioned up a little bit Cherilus will be moving down because he's a RT and everybody else is rising. I started this on Tuesday and it took a while since it's my first and at that time he was still up there, that happened with several players.

neko4
02-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I like Cason

urinemonkey
02-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Chris Williams is a reach at #12.

Vikes99ej
02-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Terrible Vikings pick.

Just kidding. If our first two rounds went like that I'd go nucking futs.

Dcboys94
02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
great cowboys mock +rep

thebow305
02-02-2008, 12:26 PM
terrible phins mock. Dorsey has no place in the 3-4, not sold on Connor for the same reason, and we have bigger needs at TE, NT, and in the secondary to take a guard that early.

Sniper
02-02-2008, 01:03 PM
19. Philadelphia Eagles- DeSean Jackson, WR, California: He may not be the best fit for a West Coast Offense but he can add a dynamic dimension to this offense. He will stretch the field deep, run screens, run routes well, all he needs is seperation and he will make plays. Not to mention his awesome return ability.

50. Philadelphia Eagles- Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech- A CB that comes from the always strong defense of Va Tech to the Eagles' in your face secondary.

DeSean Jackson is not a good option for the Eagles with the players that are on the board. The Eagles do not take receivers in the first round. Rodgers-Cromartie would be lovely right here, as would Sam Baker, Reggie Smith or maybe Lawrence Jackson.

Assuming they'd take DRC, the Eagles could look at James Hardy or maybe Fred Davis here. We need a playmaking TE (Davis) or a receiver, but receivers and first round for the Eagles do not mix.

AkiliSmith
02-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Not a fan of the Bengals draft. Huge reach on Campbell in round 1. The last thing we need is another underachieving player on defense. Rivers would be a much better pick. The 2nd round pick isn't a good fit. The tight ends only job in the offense is to block, and Bennett is not a blocker. Give us Dre Moore there, or even one of the wide receivers.

fenikz
02-02-2008, 01:19 PM
below average Cardinals draft, I'm not the biggest fan of Talib but he fills a need, and as long as he can cover a WR one on one then he is a good pick as for WR, not a 1st day need. A RB to develop O-Line depth, and a 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE are much greater needs, Breaston should fine as our slot receiver he should lot of improvement as a WR over the last 3 games

Give us Crable, Johnson or Albert in the 2nd

Thunder&Lightning
02-03-2008, 09:00 AM
ok chargers pick still not sold on DL for them.

Nitschke-Hawk
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Replies

terrible phins mock. Dorsey has no place in the 3-4, not sold on Connor for the same reason, and we have bigger needs at TE, NT, and in the secondary to take a guard that early.

Dorsey will play end in a 3-4, some NT if needed, or DT when you go to a 4 down set. NT would strip him of his play making ability so don't think I have you drafting a NT # 1 overall. You already have two rush backers so Gholston is not needed. It's too high for Jake Long. Sedrick Ellis isn't suited for a 3-4. As of now I don't buy Chris Long as the # 1 pick, I'm not big on the combine but I know how it always effects the boards, he'll be great in interviews but his athletic times will be a big question mark til then. And the 2nd round, dude the Dolphins are so bad you can't go wrong anywhere. Forgive me since I didn't watch a 1-15 team more than once.

DeSean Jackson is not a good option for the Eagles with the players that are on the board. The Eagles do not take receivers in the first round. Rodgers-Cromartie would be lovely right here, as would Sam Baker, Reggie Smith or maybe Lawrence Jackson.

Assuming they'd take DRC, the Eagles could look at James Hardy or maybe Fred Davis here. We need a playmaking TE (Davis) or a receiver, but receivers and first round for the Eagles do not mix.

It's hard to figure out the Eagles, they really don't have the holes that would match their record. I know some teams drafting tendencies but I don't know them all. My mocks will be a mix of what teams tend to do and what they should do. DeSean Jackson would be a great addition. Your starting CB's are in their prime I don't know why you need DRC, Dawkins, Considine, and Mikell have all been good for you so I don't see how Reggie Smith is anything but depth also. Sam Baker I can definitely understand.

Not a fan of the Bengals draft. Huge reach on Campbell in round 1. The last thing we need is another underachieving player on defense. Rivers would be a much better pick. The 2nd round pick isn't a good fit. The tight ends only job in the offense is to block, and Bennett is not a blocker. Give us Dre Moore there, or even one of the wide receivers.

Like I said, Campbell will probably have a strong combine and either he or Harvey would be the pick. D Line is more important than LB when building the foundation of a defense. As for the 2nd round pick, this is pretty much the only thing wrong with your team's offensive philosophy. Why do you think Carson is always laying out his receivers? He has no big target over the middle to get the ball to so he has to force it on the hash marks and the Safeties are just waiting to hit somebody. Look around the NFL, Tight Ends are catching passes more than ever. This is what's wrong with most coaches if anything, they are stubborn and not flexible when it comes to philosophy. A pass receiving Tight End is the only thing missing from the Bengals offense, it does wonders for an offense. Look at the Patriots for example, would it make sense if they were still using a power running game all the time when they have arguably the best receivers in the NFL? They wouldn't be undefeated if they still ran it as much as they used to. Or even the Packers, my team, Bubba Franks was blocking all the time last year, well, our protection got better, and we started using Donald Lee to catch passes and he had an awesome year. Every team needs as many dimensions added to their offense as possible.

AkiliSmith
02-03-2008, 12:02 PM
The fact is the Bengals just don't use a tight end in the offense, other than as a blocker. People have been mocking them a tight end in round 1 or 2 for the last 3-4 seasons, and they haven't drafted one in any round since 2002. I think that shows you how much they value the position.

Sniper
02-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Replies

It's hard to figure out the Eagles, they really don't have the holes that would match their record. I know some teams drafting tendencies but I don't know them all. My mocks will be a mix of what teams tend to do and what they should do. DeSean Jackson would be a great addition. Your starting CB's are in their prime I don't know why you need DRC, Dawkins, Considine, and Mikell have all been good for you so I don't see how Reggie Smith is anything but depth also. Sam Baker I can definitely understand.

DeSean in a way makes sense, but his junior year receiving was very poor. Only averaged around 11 ypc, that's not very good for such a "big play threat". If we're going to stretch the field, I'd much prefer Mario Manningham who gets around 16-18 ypc. Yes, I'm pretty big on ypc.

About DRC, our corners are in their primes, but one of them is always hurt and Will James/Peterson is terrible as a nickel. Cromartie or Smith would be excellent as it would give us a very reliable nickel/future safety. Considine sucks by the way.

And the biggest reason the Eagles went 8-8 was because of their red zone offense. They were 10th in passing yards and 8th in rushing (I think, if not it's right around there) yet 21st in ppg. So a playmaking TE (Bennett, Davis, Rucker) or a stud WR (Bowman, Hardy, Manningham) would be big here.

NIN1984
02-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Very well put together mock. The Raiders draft is decent. McFadden is ok but if we do go with DMAC in the first, Raiders must take a DT in round two because that is are biggest need really.

BaLLiN
02-03-2008, 01:02 PM
1ST ROUND

31. New York Giants- Philip Wheeler, OLB, Georgia Tech: I think this is the perfect scheme for Wheeler. Georgia Tech is a blitzing 4-3 team and his transition to the Giants would be awesome. They may have bigger needs but I just love the fit here and starting with the Senior Bowl he's mobing up boards.

This would be a good pick, in the second round. I know Wheeler can play OLB, which is a Giant's need, but the way that Gerris Wilkinson has played, Mitchell and Torbor should both come back. And at ILB we have alright backups in Blackburn and DeOssie. So LB doesnt need to be assessed 1st round IMO.

2ND ROUND

33. Miami Dolphins- Dan Connor, LB, Penn St.: They need a young inside LB for the 3-4.

34. St. Louis Rams- Reggie Smith, S, Oklahoma: Well I said they needed a DB along with Ellis.

36. Kansas City Chiefs- Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana: One of the better Cover 2 CB prospects and they got a bunch of age with Law and Surtain.

37. New York Jets- Pat Sims, DT, Auburn: Just realized I went with two D Lineman but Sims could play NT or End.

I think that any one of those first 5 second round pick except rashard mendenhall could be worthy of the giants 1st. Reggie Smith would be ideal because we need a Safety immediately and maybe a corner in the near future. Dan Connor would be an alright pick with great value. Tracy Porter can return and is great in man to man coverage. Pat Sims would compliment our great pass rushers. [/QUOTE]

63P. New York Giants- Justin King, CB, Penn St: They need another CB for the future.

64P. New England Patriots -Thomas DeCoud, S, California: I think this is a Belicheck type of guy and a good fit to replace Harrison, but do they really need anything?

This Depends on what we do in the first, but i think DeCoud is the better player and doesnt have the character issues that King does.

SaintsMan
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Rivers is overrated.

The Saints run a man coverage defense, we need to stay far away from cover 2 corners. (Jason David)