PDA

View Full Version : 2/2/08 Mock w/ explainations

darnik44two
02-02-2008, 01:56 PM
First Round

1. Miami Dolphins (1-15) - Sedrick Ellis, DT/NT, USC

All the stars aline with this pick. Nose tackles are often hard to find for a 3-4 and often take years to develop. They are a vital cog for a 3-4 system. The Dolphins lack a true force at the NT position and Ellis is NFL ready. Ellis is also arguably the BPA here as well. This pick just makes good sense to me.

Other options: Darren McFadden, Jake Long, Matt Ryan

2. St. Louis Rams (3-13) - Jake Long, OT Michigan

This will be a very tough pick for the Rams here. There are several directions they could go on a need/value standpoint. I think Jake Long would be the best pick here. The OL is in need of some upgrading and Orlando Pace is either at the end or very near the end of his Hall of Fame career. The Rams have made a consertive effort in the last 2 drafts to bolster the DL, so taking Glenn Dorsey here might be overkill.

Other options: Glenn Dorsey, Darren McFadden, Chris Long

3. +Atlanta Falcons (4-12) - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Another tough pick here. Obviously the Falcons are in desperate need of a QB but the question is, is Matt Ryan a good pick from a value standpoint. With McFadden still on the board he’s awful temping as well. Perhaps the Falcons target a QB later on and take the depth of the RB class into consideration and go with Dorsey here. Dorsey would be a great pick on a need/value standpoint and would add a much needed leader to the locker room.

Other options: Matt Ryan, Darren McFadden

4. +Oakland Raiders (4-12) - Darren McFadden, HB, Arkansas*

Who knows what to expect from the Raiders. It almost seems as if when there is a decision to be made, you can count on Al Davis to screw it up. The Raiders are in pretty good shape at the RB position, but McFadden’s value and upside might be too much to ignore. McFadden is the type of player who could speed along last year top pick JaMarcus Russell’s development.

Other options: Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Ryan Clady

5. +Kansas City Chiefs (4-12) - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State*

Possibly a bit of a reach here (similar to the #5 pick of last year’s draft). With no clear better options Clady might just be the pick here. Provided the Chiefs are able to resign Jared Allen, there would be no home for Chris Long (the BPA on my board). The OT need might be too great to go any other direction here. The Chiefs are evaluating their QB situation, so they could go that direction as well.

Other options: Chris Long, Matt Ryan

6. New York Jets (4-12) - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State*

Probably a pretty easy pick for the Jets here and also one the fans should like as well. The Jets need a true 3-4 OLB who is able to create some pressure on the QB and Gholston is that guy. Gholston has all the attributes to be a great OLB for many years. Chris Long might get some consideration here but I feel Gholston is the better of the two as far as the 3-4 OLB position goes, even though overall I think Long is the slightly better player.

Other options: Chris Long, Matt Ryan

7. New England Patriots (from SF (5-11)) - Chris Long, DE/OLB, Virginia

Chris Long would be a steal here for the Patriots. Long is a versatile type of football player like the Patriots like. Many would argue he wouldn’t be able to find a home in their defense. What separates Bill Belichick from the rest of the coaches in the league is his ability to take a player and best utilize his talents within the system. One scenario would be to kick Mike Vrabel inside (or Adalius Thomas who did play inside some this season), and Have Long at LOLB.

Other option: Leodis McKelvin, Keith Rivers

8. Baltimore Ravens (5-11) - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

With the organization moving forward with a new coaching staff, now is the time to move forward with the QB position as well. The franchise has existed without a viable QB so I don’t think they could afford to pass on Ryan here. Many question Ryan’s value because of his decision making but few question his tools and upside. I know the fan favorite seems to be Troy Smith, but he has too many questions for the Ravens to put the future of the franchise in his hands.

Other options: Leodis McKelvin, Keith Rivers

9. Cincinnati Bengals (7-9) - Keith Rivers, OLB/ILB, USC

Rivers would be a no-brainer here. The Bengals LB’s are depleted and they can’t stop anyone’s offense. Rivers is one of the drafts best defensive players and is a versatile player the Bengals could plug in inside or outside. He’s also a great pick in my eyes because of the winning background he has coming from USC. The Bengals need to really make an effort to get good citizens and leaders in that locker room.

Other options: Kentwan Balmer, Jonathan Stewart, Jeff Otah

10. New Orleans Saints (7-9) - Leodis McKelvin, CB/KR, Troy

Cornerback is a huge need for the Saints and all indications are McKelvin has the make-up to be a shut down corner at the next level. McKelvin could easily start from day one and immediately improve the Saints Achilles heel, the pass defense. McKelvin could also help in the return game.

Other options: Dan Connor, Jeff Otah, Calais Campbell

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9) - Dan Connor, OLB/ILB, Penn State

The Bills stole Paul Posluszny in the 2nd round last year, so why not take his twin brother Dan Connor here. The Bills LB core needs revamped, Posluszny was the first piece and Connor could be the second. The two formed a solid LB tandem at Penn State and there is no reason not to expect the same in the NFL. Possibly a bit of a reach here, but history says the Bills are willing to reach to fill a need. They loved Posluszny enough last year that he was a consideration in the first round, so I’m sure they have the same type of love for Connor.

Other options: Mario Manningham, Malcolm Kelly, Kentwan Balmer, Antoine Cason

12. Denver Broncos (7-9) - Kentwan Balmer, DT/DE, North Carolina

A bit of questionable pick here given the fact the Broncos took 3 defensive linemen early last year. But given the fact that the run defense is by far the teams biggest weakness and the DT position still has room for improvement the pick makes sense. Some would argue the value here and on my board it is a slight reach. To me when you weigh the need/value along with Balmer’s upside I think it’s a good pick.

Other options: Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith, Desean Jackson

13. Carolina Panthers (7-9) - Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

Lots of directions the Panthers could go here. This could be a real stumbling point for a lot of mock drafts. You could make a valid point for probably six different players. There’s even the chance they grab a QB here. What I expect them to do is go best value that fit’s a need. On my board that would be Otah.

Other options: Kenny Phillips, Phillip Merling, Calais Campbell, Reggie Smith, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Brian Brohm

14. Chicago Bears (7-9) - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

This could be quite a wild card pick as well. Many believe the Bears will want to use this pick to address the QB position. With the uncertainty of this years QB class there’s a good possibility get equal value in the 2nd round. I think the Bears hold off on taking a QB here and start addressing a big need with the offensive line. While I rate Vanderbilt tackle Chris Williams higher, I think Gosders make-up is a better fit for the Bears.

Other Options: Chris Williams, Mario Manningham, Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Brian Brohm

15. Detroit Lions (7-9) - Jonathan Stewart, HB, Oregon*

Stewart would be a real steal here for the Lions. I personally rank Stewart 7th overall. Stewart is a guy who’s upside is unlimited. He really wasn’t in the best offense for his skill set and still flourished. I feel in a pro style offense Stewart’s potential is off the charts.

Other options: Antoine Cason, Calais Campbell, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Chris Williams, WR

16. Arizona Cardinals (8-8) - Rashard Mendenhall, HB, Illinois*

Ken Wizenhunt’s offense is centered around the ability to be able to run the ball. Last year the Cardinals didn’t have a player average over 3.8 YPC. This season could also be Edgerine James’ last season. Mendenhall would be a great value here (my #11 prospect). Mendenhall could be the piece to really balance out the offense.

Other options: Antoine Cason, Mike, Jenkins, Kenny Phillips, Chris Williams, Reggie Smith

17. Minnesota Vikings (8-8) - Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*

When you lack offensive fire power, taking the best RB in the ‘07 class, and then take the best WR of the ‘08 class are two positive steps. Manningham could be the missing piece to make a weakness (WR’s) a strength. Manningham is a pretty polished prospect and the need/value lines up well here.

Other options: Calais Campbell, Antoine Cason, Mike, Jenkins, Kenny Phillips, Chris Williams, Reggie Smith, Brian Brohm

18. Houston Texans (8-8) - Felix Jones, HB, Arkansas*

The Texans ranked 22nd in rush offense last year and Ron Dayne and Ahman Green aren’t getting any younger. Jones is a dynamic player and could be the Texans first of that kind at the RB position. A guy like Jones could also increase the success of Ron Dayne because of their contrast in running style.

Other options: Antoine Cason, Mike, Jenkins, Kenny Phillips, Chris Williams, Reggie Smith, Malcolm Kelly, DeSean Jackson

19. Philadelphia Eagles (8-8) - Reggie Smith, S/CB, Oklahoma*

Good addition here for the Eagles with Reggie Smith. Smith is a versatile guy who can step right in and cover the slot while being groomed to be Brian Dawkins eventual replacement. Smith’s ability to play corner would increase the overall depth in their secondary.

Other options: Calais Campbell, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Malcolm Kelly, DeSean Jackson

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7) - DeSean Jackson, WR/KR, California

There’s a lack of playmakers in the Bucs offense. Jackson is a guy labeled “playmaker.” Seems like a good fit if they can maximize his talent. With his upside and added value in the return game he’s a pretty good value here as well. There’s several directions or player preference they could go here. Ultimately the new dimension a guy like Jackson could add might be the deciding factor here.

Other options: Calais Campbell, Chris Williams, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Malcolm Kelly

21. Washington Redskins (9-7) Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma*

The Redskins offense really lacks a true #1 receiver. They also lack a big physical receiver and this especially shows up in the red zone. Kelly is a guy who cover both those needs. There are some holes along the defense they could address here, but the offense is the unit that needs the most help.

Other options: Calais Campbell, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, Kenny Phillips

22. Dallas Cowboys (from CLE (10-6)) - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami*

Something tells me the Cowboys won’t be selecting from the #22 spot, but if they do they should be pleased to have a good selection of DB’s available. Because of the lack of safety talent and the very deep CB talent the Cowboys go with Phillips here, and land a corner with the #28 pick.

Other options: Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, Chris Williams

23. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6) Chris Williams, OT/OG, Vanderbilt

Really best case scenario here for the Steelers. The OL is by far their weakest unit, and Williams the type of versatile offensive linemen they like. He’s an excellent run blocker and can hold down the right side and give Ben Roethlisberger some time in the pocket. Selecting Williams would create the opportunity to move Willie Colon to his natural RG position and kick Kendall Simmons over to Center. Historically the Steelers have found the most success with converting guards into centers.

Other options: Devin Thomas, Sam Baker, Dre Moore, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Dom Rodgers-Cromartie

24. Tennessee Titans (10-6) - Antoine Cason, CB/PR, Arizona

It’s likely PacMan Jones won’t be returning to the Titans. In a division shared with the Colts, defensive backs need to be a priority. Cason is my #1 corner and to me is the most polished NFL ready corner in the class. Cason man coverage ability should allow him to become the Titans #1 corner rather quickly. He also has added value as a return man.

Other options: Fred Davis, Martin Rucker, Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Calais Campbell

25. Seattle Seahawks (10-6) - Fred Davis, TE, USC

Fred Davis could be a great weapon for Matt Hasselbeck. Davis is easily the best receiving TE in this class. His receiver like route running ability will create match-up problems for opposing defenses. Davis is not yet a polished in-line blocker, but has shown the willingness to do so. Lacks ideal height.

Other options: Mike Jenkins, Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, Martin Rucker, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Sam Baker

26. Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5) - Mike Jenkins, CB/PR, South Florida

Many would feel this to be the biggest steal of the draft. The Jags are solid on one side of the field with Rashean Mathis, and Jenkins can hold down the other side. Along with last years first pick Reggie Nelson the Jags secondary could be very solid. In the same division as the Colts the secondary has to have the utmost priority placed on it.

Other options: Aqib Talib, Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Sam Baker, Shawn Crable, Calais Campbell, Philip Merling

27. San Diego Chargers (11-5) - Dre Moore, DT/DE, Maryland

Solid sensible pick here for the Chargers. For a team with not a lot of glaring needs Moore’s versatility along their 3 man front would be a great addition. Moore has the unique ability to play the nose or defensive end. 3-4 systems are best served to have this type of versatility. Moore would also be a solid inside pass rushing force on passing downs.

Other options: Sam Baker, Pat Sims, Shawn Crable, Philip Merling, Curtis Lofton, DaJuan Morgan

28. Dallas Cowboys (13-3) - Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State

Jerry Jones maintains a relationship with Deion Sanders. Sanders has been working out with Rodgers-Cromartie, so you can be sure Sanders has been Chirping in Jerry’s ear about this kids potential. After his Senior Bowl performance some teams might like him so much that he won’t be available here. Along with the addition of Phillips the Cowboys suddenly have one of the leagues best secondaries.

Other options: Pat Sims, Sam Baker, Philip Merling, Aqib Talib, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson

29. San Francisco (from IND (13-3)) - Pat Sims, DT/DE, Auburn*

San Francisco is still trying to make the transition to a 3-4 defense. Paramount to completing the transition is to sure up the defensive line. Sims is another one of those versatile 3-4 defensive linemen. He could wind up at either the nose or at DE. Likely he will find his home at DE.

Other options: Sam Baker, Philip Merling, Aqib Talib, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Calais Campbell

30. Green Bay Packers (13-3) - Aqib Talib, CB/PR, Kansas*

Talib should be a pretty good fit for the Packers defense. From a need/value standpoint the Packers score high here. Talib would immediately add depth and come in and cover the slot from day one. His added value in the return game is just a bonus.

Other options: Sam Baker, Shawn Crable, Chevis Jackson, Patrick Lee, Erin Henderson, Martin Rucker

31. New York Giants (10-6) - Sam Baker, OT/OG, USC

Not the sexiest pick for Giants fans, but a sensible one. With age and depth issues all across the offensive line, Baker is a guy who has a ton of value because of his versatility. Baker is able to play 4 of the 5 OL positions and would likely wind up a starter somewhere week 1.

Other options: Shawn Crable, DaJuan Morgan, Patrick Lee, Erin Henderson, Quentin Groves, Jamaal Charles

32. New England Patriots (16-0) - FORFEIT

Second Round

33 Miami Dolphins (1-15) - Calais Campbell, DE, Miami*

Many would be surprised to see Campbell here, but with a questionable motor he could likely fall. I’m not sure he’s the best fit for the Dolphins 3-4, but his upside makes him hard to pass up.

34 St. Louis Rams (3-13) - Shawn Crable, OLB/DE, Michigan

The Rams have struggled with having undersized LB’s. Crable is a big physical LB who should help the Rams defense finally turn the corner.

35 +Oakland Raiders (4-12) - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State*

The Raiders have their QB of the future in JaMarcus Russell, now they fill a big need and add a playmaker at the receiver position. Thomas also has added value in the return game.

36 +Kansas City Chiefs (4-12) Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn

Replacing their aging corners have to be a priority of the Chiefs. Lee is a solid fit for the Chiefs defense and a great value at the top of the 2nd round. He could make a push to start immediately.

37 New York Jets (4-12) - DeMario Pressley, DT/DE, N.C. State

Suring up the DL is a necessity to finalize the transformation to a 3-4 system for the Jets. Pressley would play DE for the Jets and greatly help 1st round selection Vernon Gholston.

38 +Atlanta Falcons (4-12) - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

It would have to be considered a victory if the Falcons could land Brohm here. In desparate need of a QB they roll the dice in the first hoping to have a guy like Brohm around in the 2nd.

39 Baltimore Ravens (5-11) - Phillip Merling, DE/OLB, Clemson*

Merling is a versatile player who’s perfect for the Ravens defense. Merling is a true tweener who could play DE or OLB. Chances are he finds a home at OLB with the Ravens. Excellent value here.

40 San Francisco 49ers (5-11) Curtis Lofton, ILB, Oklahoma*

Paired with last years first pick Patrick Willis, the 49ers will have a young solid ILB tandem for year to come. Lofton makes plays from sideline to sideline and is good fit to fill the weak side ILB spot.

41 New Orleans Saints (7-9) - Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame

Laws is a high motor guy who can get after the QB from his DT spot. Laws is also excellent against the run. The Saints defense adds a new dimention with a guy like Laws.

42 Buffalo Bills (7-9) - Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri

In part to the injury to Kevin Everett, the Bills cupboard is a bit bare at the TE position. Here they land my top TE in Rucker, a guy who reminds me a lot of Antonio Gates. Rucker would be a great addition to the Bills offense and more importantly a new weapon for young QB Trent Edwards.

43 Denver Broncos (7-9) - Erin Henderson, OLB/ILB, Maryland*

The Broncos have become a little thin at the LB position and along with addressing the DL, they need to address their LB in hopes of finally stopping the run. Henderson is a versatile guy who can play inside or outside and that’s the type of LB the Broncos prefer.

44 Carolina Panthers (7-9) - DaJuan Morgan, S, N.C. State*

Safety is a big need for the Panthers. They are able to land a local guy here in N.C. State safety DaJuan Morgan. Morgan should step in and start from day one for the Panthers. Morgan would be a good value pick here, many feel he has first round talent.

45 Chicago Bears (7-9) - Chad Henne, QB, Michigan

The Bears first round gamble to pass on a QB may payoff by getting Henne here. Henne is a guy with a lot of upside who is NFL ready because of the system he was in at Michigan. Now the question is, will he follow in the footsteps of former Michigan QB Tom Brady.

46 Detroit Lions (7-9) - Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU

Jackson would be a great addition here. He’s a guy who can get up and play press coverage or play off equally as well. The Lions CB’s leave a lot to be desired and Jackson is a step in the right direction.

47 Cincinnatti Bengals (7-9) Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida*

With DE Justin Smith likely gone via free agency, Harvey can step right in and fill the void left by Smith. Harvey is more of a run stuffing DE to me despite popular opinion. Stopping the run has to be priority #1 for the Bengals.

48 Minnesota Vikings (8-8) - Brandon Flowers, CB/S, Virginia Tech*

If the Vikings keep added parts and pieces to the secondary they are bound to get better there. Flowers is a versatile DB like the Vikings seem to prefer. He could play corner or safety, but probably comes in and covers the slot from day one.

49 Atlanta Falcons (from HOU (8-8)) - Jamaal Charles, HB, Texas*

Many would say a speed back isn’t what the Falcons need. I would say Charles is a complete back who happens to have elite speed. Bottom line, Charles is a game-breaker and would be a great addition to the Falcons lethargic offense.

50 Philadelphia Eagles (8-8) - Lavelle Hawkins, WR/KR, California

One of the more solid picks in this draft so far. The Eagles get a polished receiver here and add a return guy as well. Hawkins should compliment Reggie Brown well and eventually make a push to be the Eagles #1 WR. Excellent value here with Hawkins who might end up being this drafts best all-around receiver.

51 Arizona Cardinals (8-8) - Quentin Groves, OLB/DE, Auburn

With the Cardinals implementing a 3-4 defense, they nedd to add some true 3-4 OLB’s. Groves is a terrific 3-4 OLB prospect who is a high motor guy that knows how to get after the quarterback. Slowed by injury as a senior, Groves is a great value here.

52 Washington Redskins (9-7) - Lawrence Jackson, DE/OLB, USC

The pass rush has been a problem in Washington. Jackson would be a good addition as both a pass rusher and run stuffer. Coming from a good background at USC, he’ll also add leadership in time to the Redskins locker room.

53 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7) - Charles Godfrey, CB/S, Iowa

The Bucs come up big here with Godfrey. Godfrey has the skill set to play corner and the size and physicality to play safety. He could step in and cover the slot immediately and finally find a home where he’s most needed. He would be a good young DB to pair up with ’07 draft steal Tanard Jackson.

54 Cleveland Browns (10-6) - Marcus Harrison, DT/NT, Arkansas

Finally the Browns get to make a selection. The most glaring need for the Brown is their DL. The most glaring need a lot the DL is at NT. Harrison seems to be a guy made to play NT and should easily start from day one for the Browns. Harrsion is a guy with some off the field question marks.

55 Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6) - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

The Steelers have lacked a big reciever since Plaxico Burress left via free agency. As a rookie, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger developed good chemistry with Burress. Recently Roethlisberger stated he desired a tall receiver and Sweed could be that guy.

56 Tennessee Titans (10-6) - John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame

Many don’t realize it, but the Titans could really use an upgrade at the tight end position. John Carlson is easily the most complete blocking/catching tight end in the draft. Not only does he upgrade the position, he is an added weapon for Vince Young. Young had a lot of success throwing to his tight ends at Texas.

57 Seattle Seahawks (10-6) - Chilo Rachal, OG, USC

Rachal is arguably the drafts best true guard prospect. The Seahawks have had a void since the departure of all-world guard Steve Hutchinson. The addition of Rachal here will further help get the running game back to it’s old self for the Seahawks.

58 Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5) - Jerod Mayo, ILB/OLB, Tennessee*

The Jaguars are rumored to be in love with the athletism and versatility of Jerod Mayo. It’s even been suggested they could take him in the 1st. Perhaps they take a page out of last years book and attemp to trade down, add a pick and still get their target.

59 Miami Dolphins (from SD (11-5)) Carl Nicks, OT/OG, Nebraska

Nicks may very well be a steal here for the Dolphins. It’s no secret the Dolphins need a lot of help along the offensive line. Nicks was highly impressive at the Senior Bowl and showed his ability to play either guard or tackle. Versatility is a great luxury to have when rebuilding an offensive line.

60 Dallas Cowboys (13-3) - Anthony Collins, OT/OG, Kansas*

Antother pick centered around versatility. The Cowboys need depth more than anything in regards to their offensive line. Collins is a guy who can play either guard or right tackle. Eventually he could probably wind up being a very good starter at guard. Good value here to pick up the All-American with the 60th pick.

61 Indianapolis Colts (13-3) - Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State

The Colts are likely to lose at least one if not both starting guards to free agency. Schuening had a stellar career at Oregon State and is NFL ready now. If the Colts in fact the Colts have a void at the guard position, Schuening could quickly step in and fill it.

62 Green Bay Packers (13-3) - Heath Benedict, OT/OG, Newberry

The Packers are another team in need of depth along the offensive line. Benedict impressed scouts with his versatility at the Senior Bowl. Ultimately Benedict looks like a right tackle, but could be a utility guy in the mean time.

63 New York Giants (10-6) - Thomas DeCoud, S, California

The Giants are really lacking at the safety position. DeCoud not only is a solid safety prospect, but he showed at the Senior Bowl he can step in and cover the slot which is another area of need for the Giants.

64 New England Patriots (16-0) - Jamie Silva, S, Boston College

Jamie Silva is simply a good football player. The Patriots are a team built by getting guys who are football player first. Silva will certainly help the secondary at the safety position, but is a guy who can contribute greatly on special team. It’s the Patriots ability to work in specialty situational player to their game plan that makes them so good year after year.

Third Round

65 Miami Dolphins (1-15) - Early Doucet, WR, LSU

66 St. Louis Rams (3-13) - Kendall Langford, DE/DT, Hampton

67 +Kansas City Chiefs (4-12) Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville

68 New York Jets (4-12) - Eric Young, OG/OT, Tennessee

69 +Atlanta Falcons (4-12) - Oniel Cousins, OT/OG, UTEP

70 +New England Patriots (from OAK (4-12)) - Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt

71 San Francisco 49ers (5-11) - Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky

72 Buffalo Bills (from BAL (5-11)) - Terrell Thomas, CB, USC

73 Buffalo Bills (7-9) - James Hardy, WR, Indiana*

74 Chicago Bears (7-9) - Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

75 Detroit Lions (7-9) - Tavares Gooden, ILB, Miami

76 Cincinnatti Bengals (7-9) Letroy Guion, DT, Florida State*

77 New Orleans Saints (7-9) - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU

78 Minnesota Vikings (from DEN (7-9)) - Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

79 Carolina Panthers (7-9) - Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame

80 Houston Texans (8-8) - Phillip Wheeler, OLB/ILB, Georgia Tech

81 Philadelphia Eagles (8-8) - Xavier Adibi, OLB/ILB, Virginia Tech

82 Arizona Cardinals (8-8) - Dwight Lowry, CB, San Jose State

83 Minnesota Vikings (8-8) - Darrell Robertson, DE, Georgia Tech

84 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7) - Ahtyba Rubin, DT/NT, Iowa State

85 Washington Redskins (9-7) Jordon Dizon, OLB, Colorado

86 Cleveland Browns (10-6) Bruce Davis, OLB/DE,. UCLA

87 Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6) Kevin Smith, HB, Central Florida*

88 Tennessee Titans (10-6) - Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State

89 Seattle Seahawks (10-6) - Matt Forte, HB, Tulane

90 Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5) - Chris Ellis, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech

91 Chicago Bears (from SD (11-5)) - Branden Albert, OG, Virginia

92 Dallas Cowboys (13-3) - Chris Johnson, HB/KR, East Carolina

93 Indianapolis Colts (13-3) Marcus Howard, DE/OLB, Georgia

94 Green Bay Packers (13-3) - Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M

95 New York Giants (10-6) - Donnie Avery, WR/KR, Houston

96 New England Patriots (16-0) - Peyton Hillis, FB, Arkansas

Bills2083
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I wouldnt mind taking Mike Jenkins at 11.
I'm fine with Connor though.

T-RICH49
02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
good pick with Clady

summond822
02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry there is no way the Seahawks go CB in the first. If they did, they would not take Antoine Cason, especially if somehow Mike Jenkins managed to fall all the way to 25. We have a good 3rd CB in Jordon Babineux. We also have two really good/fast returners in Nate Burleson (who is probably the second best returner in football) and Josh Wilson (a CB that we took in the second last year). We have much bigger needs at DT, TE, OL, and RB. If we take a CB on day one it's going to be because somebody fell. Someone like Mike Jenkins.

CB doesn't even make sense for us though. I'd rather take Baker and give ourselves an option down the road if Sims doesn't pan out. Martellus Bennett or John Carlson would also be logical there because we need a true recieving threat at TE.

Rich Jr
02-02-2008, 02:09 PM
With who's left on the board I guess I can't complain.

thebow305
02-02-2008, 02:10 PM
nice phins pick... no complaints there.

DragonMekha
02-02-2008, 02:30 PM
There is no way the Eagles pass on Kenny Phillips.No way.

GDWTheSickness
02-02-2008, 02:30 PM
nice cowboys mock. +rep

scottyboy
02-02-2008, 02:31 PM
31. New York Giants (10-6) - Sam Baker, OT/OG, USC

Not the sexiest pick for Giants fans, but a sensible one. With age and depth issues all across the offensive line, Baker is a guy who has a ton of value because of his versatility. Baker is able to play 4 of the 5 OL positions and would likely wind up a starter somewhere week 1.

Other options: Shawn Crable, DaJuan Morgan, Patrick Lee, Erin Henderson, Quentin Groves, Jamaal Charles

Well, not a bad pick, I guess. Although DB and LB are much higher concerns, but what gets me are A) the explination and B) the other options.

Age issues on the OL? We're deep at OG, but weak at OT depth wise, so I'll give you half credit there. O'Hara and McKenzie? possibly age issues? O'Hara is the only starter at 30...

Crable, Groves and Charles as other options? Why would we draft hybrid DE/OLB's like Crable and Groves? they make no sense. And charlers? with Jacobs, Bradshaw, Droughns and possibly Ward? ewww

gangGREENinsider
02-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I can't see the Jets passing on Chris Long if he's there.

Vikes99ej
02-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Absolutely not. I'd take him in the second or third, but not the first. If we passed on Kenny Phillips, I'd go to jail for murder.

KCJ58
02-02-2008, 02:48 PM
nice cowboys mock. +rep

sadly your rep means nothing

darnik44two
02-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I added a second round.

Yung Flippa
02-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Okay Ravens pick, Houston takes Mike Jenkins or DeSean Jackson in that position.

RaiderNation
02-02-2008, 04:50 PM
1st great
2nd solid

02-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Good Raiders draft. No defense addressed but man that would give us one hell of an offense for a long time!

DaBears0530
02-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Not really liking the Nelson pick in the 2nd round for the bears. the guys is a possession receiver but from what i hear hes slow and lacks a good burst. I know its a reach but id like the bears to get flacco with the 44th pick.

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Okay raven draft, I wouldnt mind taking a corner in the first either. Its a bigger need IMO.Good 2nd rounder

Diehard
02-02-2008, 08:38 PM
12. Denver Broncos (7-9) - Kentwan Balmer, DT/DE, North Carolina

A bit of questionable pick here given the fact the Broncos took 3 defensive linemen early last year. But given the fact that the run defense is by far the teams biggest weakness and the DT position still has room for improvement the pick makes sense. Some would argue the value here and on my board it is a slight reach. To me when you weigh the need/value along with Balmer’s upside I think it’s a good pick.

I would be that "some"... and IMO it is more than a slight reach. It would be nice to actually get decent value for the #12 pick.

Jay
02-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Good call with Chris Long. That would definitely be the pick.

I like Jamie Silva a lot, just don't know if I like him in the second. Maybe at the end of the third...

fenikz
02-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Phillips > Mendenhall

he is just to much of a value to pass up

stl9erfan
02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Strange draft for the Niners that doesn't address pass rush, OT, or WR in the first two rounds. I think there's no way at least one of those doesn't get dealt with here. Given what's available, I think the Niners go Calais Campbell in round 1 and Limas Sweed or Early Doucet in round 2.

darnik44two
02-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Strange draft for the Niners that doesn't address pass rush, OT, or WR in the first two rounds. I think there's no way at least one of those doesn't get dealt with here. Given what's available, I think the Niners go Calais Campbell in round 1 and Limas Sweed or Early Doucet in round 2.

Trust me, addressing the DL with proper personel will help the pass rush. The OLB's benefit greatly when the DL is able to eat up blockers. There are plenty of quality pass rushers and WR's available in the 3rd and 4th round. Lofton sures up the LB core. He should be a great fit at weak side ILB. He and Willis could be a hell of a pair of ILB's for years to come.

Jensen
02-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Give the Cardinals Kenny Phillips in the 1st. Much better value there, and even Mike Jenkins would be better there.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-03-2008, 01:30 AM
1st pick for Oakland is ok.
2nd is bad.Pressly,Harrison,and Laws would all be much,much better picks.

LonghornsLegend
02-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Wow I would make love to that cowboys mock...seriously

rb would be the next pick, if chris johnson was there for us next rd that would be a dream draft

TacticaLion
02-03-2008, 03:06 AM
The Lions will (most likely) not take a RB with their 1st round pick. If they did, I like the player they chose... but I don't see it happening.

Jackson in round 2 is a complete reach... especially with Godfrey and Harvey on the board. They could take either one and grab Jackson in round 3.

d34ng3l021
02-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Glenn Dorsey. Okay pick. At that spot, I would rather have Darren McFadden at that spot. But Dorsey isnt a bad pick.

Brian Brohm great.

Charles is just like Norwood. I would much rather have a compliment to Norwood that could help pound it in the endzone. We had huge troubles in the endzone and getting a bigger back would be nice.

stl9erfan
02-03-2008, 05:29 AM
darnik,

Lofton doesn't really fit the TED role, though, does he? He's too small, I'd say, and Willis is already established at MIKE. I don't know much about Lofton as a prospect but he really doesn't seem like a fit to me for the 49ers needs.

And the Niners DL need is largely going to depend on how FA goes-- if they retain Marques Douglas and Sopoaga, (and I think they will) then I really don't think it's quite as big a priority as you're suggesting. SF has been drafting 3-4 type DL for the past 4 years-- not in the first round, granted, but they've got a number of solid, rotational guys. The DL wasn't the problem last year, honest. Pass rush and having an O that could keep the D off the field for a while were. If some really great DL were to slip through, then I certainly think that's a possibility. But I don't see SFreaching for a guy like Sims at the end of round 1.

Thunder&Lightning
02-03-2008, 08:56 AM
bad chargers pick... Campbell and harvey slipped to far..

DiG
02-03-2008, 09:24 AM
skins dont really need a safety. reed stepped in and played great last year and greg blache loves the kid. we could potentially use depth there but not enough to take a S in rd 2. CB, DE, or Guard are much much bigger needs.

darnik44two
02-03-2008, 09:36 AM
skins dont really need a safety. reed stepped in and played great last year and greg blache loves the kid. we could potentially use depth there but not enough to take a S in rd 2. CB, DE, or Guard are much much bigger needs.

I'm still tweeking this a bit. I gave the Redskins Lawrence Jackson in the 2nd and Tracy Porter in the 3rd. Sound any better?

darnik44two
02-03-2008, 11:40 AM
3rd round added and 2nd round explainations.

Dr. Gonzo
02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
That is one of the worst vikings mocks I have even seen.