PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on edgerrin james?

BeerBaron
02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
over scotts past few mocks, hes commented that the cards are unhappy with edge and having them draft a RB in round 1 pretty much cements that theres, at least on some level, some uphappiness there for sure.

now im not suggesting that we trade.....anything....for him, because hes contract is pretty massive for the mileage on his tires, but lets just assume the cards cant find a trade for him and they do pick up a replacement for him. lets say he gets cut after some time on the trading block then...

now what would you guys think about bringing him in as a complement/competition to/for benson?

i imagine no ones going to throw huge huge money at him and he does have some mileage, but with the only other FA backs who are decent being turner and fargas, and theyre prolly going to get a good deal of money, what would you think of picking up edge?

sure sure, the draft is deep at RB, but all things considered, its too early to give up on benson, the same goes for wolfe seeing as how he was just taken in the third round last year, and AP is a special teams beast when hes not busy running the ball.....so who would you like to displace out of those 3 with a high draft pick rookie? i know RB isnt a position that takes a long time to adjust to the nfl, but wouldnt a competent vet added to that trio be more effective sooner?

thoughts???

Smokey Joe
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM
plain and simple... no.

BeerBaron
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
plain and simple... no.

are you so sure? if hes cut, hed probably be much cheaper than turner or fargas and has proven much more than other FA's to be like foster, brown, etc.

that and, he wouldnt cost a draft pick

Smokey Joe
02-02-2008, 08:15 PM
okay, maybe, but only if he is dirt cheap... Someone that has gotten me very intrigued recently is Tashard Choice. I would not mind him at all in the late 3rd/early 4th.

DaBear89
02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
okay, maybe, but only if he is dirt cheap... Someone that has gotten me very intrigued recently is Tashard Choice. I would not mind him at all in the late 3rd/early 4th.

i agree. ive liked this guy since i watched him completely destroy Arkansas in their bowl game.

awfullyquiet
02-03-2008, 03:02 AM

why would we be pointing to a mid round pick as the answer to fix our game?

i mean. don't get me wrong, i like choice.
and i think, this could be an interesting setup, but then we'd have no running threat.
again.

so we'd have to pull in a 'good' back, maybe in FA, but then we'd have Benson, FA back, Choice, Wolfe, Peterson, plus 2 fb's. seven in the backfield. not my ideal situation to go into a season.

i really want to see what wolfe has done this season. what wolfe does, scarily enough will probably determine what we do with any running back acquisitions.

BeerBaron
02-03-2008, 10:57 AM

and i think, this could be an interesting setup, but then we'd have no running threat.
again.

so we'd have to pull in a 'good' back, maybe in FA, but then we'd have Benson, FA back, Choice, Wolfe, Peterson, plus 2 fb's. seven in the backfield. not my ideal situation to go into a season.

i really want to see what wolfe has done this season. what wolfe does, scarily enough will probably determine what we do with any running back acquisitions.

like i said, i think the 3 backs on the roster right now will remain there. its too early to give up on benson and wolfe and AP is decent for a drive or two per game and hes a special teams beast.

any back added to that, like a FA, i think would become the true backup to benson and would probably split carries with him somehting like 60-30 with another 10% going to AP/wolfe in situational roles

bearsfan_51
02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't think Choice will be available at that point.

I also don't think James will get cut, but if he does I'd certainly consider it

ny10804
02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
James reminds me of the Ahman Green situation the Packers had last year.

BeerBaron
02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
James reminds me of the Ahman Green situation the Packers had last year.

last year as in 2 years ago where he came back to top 10 runner form or last year as in just this past season where he went to houston and got hurt early and often?

cause i could really see edge revitalizing himself in a 2 back system. itll minimize further wear and tear and if hes even half of what he used to be he could strike some fear into defenses trying to prepare for him and a few other backs

pellepelle_10
02-04-2008, 03:20 AM

again.

I think Choice would be a good selection but I can't say he's going to be the same caliber of rookie as Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall. Then again I could be wrong. In all honesty I think the best selection at RB for us would be either getting a top end FA or drafting a RB no later than the 2nd rnd. I'm hoping on RB in the 1st but who knows with Angelo's method of drafting. As we all know with him anything can happen.

pellepelle_10
02-04-2008, 03:24 AM
last year as in 2 years ago where he came back to top 10 runner form or last year as in just this past season where he went to houston and got hurt early and often?

cause i could really see edge revitalizing himself in a 2 back system. itll minimize further wear and tear and if hes even half of what he used to be he could strike some fear into defenses trying to prepare for him and a few other backs

As much as I wouldn't mind edge we have enough money tied in to Benson to bring him as another cap hit with marginal performance as a part-time back. If we're going to pay anything remotely close to what Benson is making it should be in hopes of ridding ourselves of this headache of a runningback. If we can wait the FA and see if Turners price goes down due to the number of rb's teams can select in the draft I say take at him or Derrick Ward. If not I think selecting a back in the 1st or 2nd round would be another way to go (and my preferred option).

BeerBaron
02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
As much as I wouldn't mind edge we have enough money tied in to Benson to bring him as another cap hit with marginal performance as a part-time back. If we're going to pay anything remotely close to what Benson is making it should be in hopes of ridding ourselves of this headache of a runningback. If we can wait the FA and see if Turners price goes down due to the number of rb's teams can select in the draft I say take at him or Derrick Ward. If not I think selecting a back in the 1st or 2nd round would be another way to go (and my preferred option).

derrick ward? sure he filled in a little this season.....but id want a back with proven long term production if its a FA

bearsfan_51
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Why? Runningback is a position of "what have you done for me lately" more than any other position in the NFL, mostly due to rapid depreciation in talent. I could care less what a runningback used to be able to do, if that was the case Edge wouldn't be a candidate to lose his job right now.

After more thoughtful consideration I don't like the move. I don't consider us a Superbowl team next year, so adding veteran backups (see Darwin Walker-another move I hated last year) would be a step in the wrong direction.

BeerBaron
02-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Why? Runningback is a position of "what have you done for me lately" more than any other position in the NFL, mostly due to rapid depreciation in talent. I could care less what a runningback used to be able to do, if that was the case Edge wouldn't be a candidate to lose his job right now.

After more thoughtful consideration I don't like the move. I don't consider us a Superbowl team next year, so adding veteran backups (see Darwin Walker-another move I hated last year) would be a step in the wrong direction.

this is the NFC we're talking about. we beat the packers both times we played them this past year showing that the division is at least winable.

plus....NFC.....EN EFF SEE

no pats, no colts, no chargers....

i mean hell, the GIANTS just won the superbowl. the giants led by eli manning.

a healthy defense should put us well in position for the division, and if the offense can produce...anything....well, nothing is out of the question

im still of the mindset that id like to see KO ge this shot at QB, bring in a new WR depending on the berrian situation, and revamp the oline in FA and teh draft. give a healthy benson one more crack at it. whats the worst that could happen?

Smokey Joe
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
call me crazy, but if we actually get a decent OLine and a consistent passing game, Benson can be an above average RB.

bearsfan_51
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
call me crazy, but if we actually get a decent OLine and a consistent passing game, Benson can be an above average RB.
We had a decent passing game this season. Our passing game was infinitely better than our running game. And our blocking wasn't THAT bad. Benson may improve, but we HAVE to create legit competition because he cannot be relied upon.

BeerBaron
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM

well, i think the order of that would be:

improve o-line -> better running game -> better passing game

but still, it starts with the o-line

Bearsfan123
02-05-2008, 12:06 AM
still defending Benson... Ill never understand it. He will never be more than an adequate player. He has no drive and never will. "Bring in competition." We shouldn't have to. I keep seeing give Benson another year, and the only reason I agree is financial reasons. JA should just flat out tell him, get his ass in gear or Ill cut you, maybe trade him for a 4th after next season if he still isnt running hard (which is what im predicting will happen)

fenikz
02-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Cardinals wouldn't cut Edge, we have already paid 3/4 of his contract and the other 1/4 is over his last 3 years, if we draft a RB in the 1st he and Edge will more than likely split carries

bearsfan_51
02-05-2008, 01:07 AM
still defending Benson... Ill never understand it. He will never be more than an adequate player. He has no drive and never will. "Bring in competition." We shouldn't have to. I keep seeing give Benson another year, and the only reason I agree is financial reasons. JA should just flat out tell him, get his ass in gear or Ill cut you, maybe trade him for a 4th after next season if he still isnt running hard (which is what im predicting will happen)

I doubt we could get a 4th rounder for Benson. Maybe a 5th, but probably a 6th.

Geo
02-05-2008, 01:50 AM
One note on Benson, he obviously hasn't reached most if any of the incentives in his contract, so it's very much in the Bears' interest to keep him considering they're already on the hook for the guaranteed money.

pellepelle_10
02-05-2008, 02:24 AM
We had a decent passing game this season. Our passing game was infinitely better than our running game. And our blocking wasn't THAT bad. Benson may improve, but we HAVE to create legit competition because he cannot be relied upon.

You hit the nail on the head here. Our blocking was not as bad as people make it. We've seen much worse in the past seasons. We've seen what Benson can do when his job is on the line. This is a direct indicator of his lack of motivation. The problem isn't can he improve. The operative word is "will" he improve. He has the talent. His poor attitude is keeping him from being the player he should be. We are too good a team to let him ruin our running game because he "doesn't have to prove anything to anybody". We'll see how much this is true when yet again his job is on the line. Hopefully he will perform well so some other team will bid on him as a starter for their team. Good riddance.

BeerBaron
02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
and whos gonna challenge him? eh?

a big (expensive) FA like turner or fargas would be?
another first round pick RB? (usually a safe pick, but benson proved otherwise apparently)
some random, comparitive no name FA like chris brown, or desean foster? theres a reason their current teams will prolly just let them walk.....

and i dont think a 2nd round or later running back would have the initial impact needed to do that. they would probably be billed as the technical "backup" to benson and benson would be given every chance in the world to keep proving himself since there would be "more invested" in him than a non-first round pick rb.....

all options seem garbagey...

the best course of action seems to be to grab an olineman (we can do better than fred f***ing miller) or two or three and give benson another shot.

pellepelle_10
02-06-2008, 03:11 AM
and whos gonna challenge him? eh?

a big (expensive) FA like turner or fargas would be?
another first round pick RB? (usually a safe pick, but benson proved otherwise apparently)
some random, comparitive no name FA like chris brown, or desean foster? theres a reason their current teams will prolly just let them walk.....

and i dont think a 2nd round or later running back would have the initial impact needed to do that. they would probably be billed as the technical "backup" to benson and benson would be given every chance in the world to keep proving himself since there would be "more invested" in him than a non-first round pick rb.....

all options seem garbagey...

the best course of action seems to be to grab an olineman (we can do better than fred f***ing miller) or two or three and give benson another shot.

If you're suggesting keeping this moron as a starter then I'm assuming you're expecting another piss poor offensive performance from our team. The guy simply doesn't perform. His attitude is horrible and for someone who hasn't proven s__t he acts as if he's actually accomplished something in the NFL. All money aside fact of the matter is we have a headcase as a runningback who only performs when is ass is in jeapordy of losing his job. Its amazing how well he performs when he's 2nd string or on his way to becoming 2nd string. When its his time to shine he fizzles and states he needs more carries. Our O-Lineman are a problem. That's clear to see but to say CB can do better than 3.4ypc and actually break tackles from db's and safeties tackling him isn't asking alot. I'm tired of hearing what he doesn't have to do. I'd rather hear what he'd better do. Hopefully I'll get my wish when a top tier back comes in and rids us of his services. He doesn't deserve any chances and relying solely on his performance would be the biggest mistake we can make going into next season. Anthony Thomas makes this guy look like Tim Worley. Again...good riddance.

BeerBaron
02-06-2008, 10:22 AM
If you're suggesting keeping this moron as a starter then I'm assuming you're expecting another piss poor offensive performance from our team. The guy simply doesn't perform. His attitude is horrible and for someone who hasn't proven s__t he acts as if he's actually accomplished something in the NFL. All money aside fact of the matter is we have a headcase as a runningback who only performs when is ass is in jeapordy of losing his job. Its amazing how well he performs when he's 2nd string or on his way to becoming 2nd string. When its his time to shine he fizzles and states he needs more carries. Our O-Lineman are a problem. That's clear to see but to say CB can do better than 3.4ypc and actually break tackles from db's and safeties tackling him isn't asking alot. I'm tired of hearing what he doesn't have to do. I'd rather hear what he'd better do. Hopefully I'll get my wish when a top tier back comes in and rids us of his services. He doesn't deserve any chances and relying solely on his performance would be the biggest mistake we can make going into next season. Anthony Thomas makes this guy look like Tim Worley. Again...good riddance.

if hes really that bad in the eyes of the bears coaching staff then he needs straight up cut. thats how it SHOULD work....but it wont happen.

doing that would be a sign that he was a catastrophic failure and at some point down the line, if JA or lovies job is on the line, that will be pointed to as mistake on their part and could lose them their job.

so unless and until someone else comes in and over the course of a good amount of time (it wont happen in one training camp) and truly beats him out for the job, we will just have to deal with him.

furthermore, drafting a running back in teh first round or signing a big money FA would also be a pretty good sign that benson is being given up on and is a failure.

so because they probably arent going to admit that he was a failure, then the next best course of action would be to bring in some olineman and receivers and maybe a QB to fix up the rest of the offense around him until the time comes when someone else steps up and overshadows him.

as of right now, and as much as many of you would like to see it, no one short of a first round pick or big money FA is going to dislodge him.

it could happen that they take a RB in the 3rd round who comes in and looks like the next walter payton and outshines benson 10 fold but just because theres a far bigger investment in benson, he'd probably still get the shot at bieng starter initially....

which is terrible but....thats how things go

hell im having trouble even thinking of non-first round running backs who earned the starting job as rookies. theres clinton portis....um.....idk who else.

you can point so some guys like jones-drew or marion barber as success stories but theyre not starting....

Smokey Joe
02-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, first off, I said consistent passing game. Statistically speaking, our pass attack was decent. But was hardly consistent. The closest thing to consistent was Brian Griese sucking it up for 3 quarters until the 4th quarter.

And our blocking WAS that bad. I'd be shocked if we didn't lead the league in false starts and Fred Miller was a revolving door all season. Tait pretty much needs to go back to RT, Garza needs some competition, and we need to bring in a LG who isn't 93 years old or sucks... LG was the main reason why Kreutz had such a bad season.

Smokey Joe
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM

The only way this offense will get better will is by getting an OLine that doesn't suck and a consistent passing game/QB. You throw any other RB in our offense last year, and odds are they won't do any better.

Honestly, how can you say it's Benson's fault when there were 3 defenders waiting for him as soon as he got the ball in the backfield? No RB can break through that.

It is asinine to think that with a new RB our running game will magically turn around. Of course we need competition, but spending all our available money on a RB or using one of our top draft picks on a RB would be purely idiotic. We need to spend free agency and the draft looking for OLinemen. Offensive line is by far the most important position on the field and with a good OLine, you could put anyone at RB and make them look good. Just look at any RB who has played for the Broncos.

BeerBaron
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
The only way this offense will get better will is by getting an OLine that doesn't suck and a consistent passing game/QB. You throw any other RB in our offense last year, and odds are they won't do any better.

Honestly, how can you say it's Benson's fault when there were 3 defenders waiting for him as soon as he got the ball in the backfield? No RB can break through that.

It is asinine to think that with a new RB our running game will magically turn around. Of course we need competition, but spending all our available money on a RB or using one of our top draft picks on a RB would be purely idiotic. We need to spend free agency and the draft looking for OLinemen. Offensive line is by far the most important position on the field and with a good OLine, you could put anyone at RB and make them look good. Just look at any RB who has played for the Broncos.

precisely. hell, give me 5 HoF o-lineman and i could probably get to 1000 yards.....

awfullyquiet
02-08-2008, 01:33 AM
One note on Benson, he obviously hasn't reached most if any of the incentives in his contract, so it's very much in the Bears' interest to keep him considering they're already on the hook for the guaranteed money.

in a two back system, as long as he's not getting, i think it's 900 yards a season? he doesn't get any big pay-bump.

his contract, like many others, are totally incentive laden. meaning. as long as we have someone else starting above him (see, turner (i still don't think fargas is walking))... we can keep bensons contract down and out, and give turner a shot at it...

pellepelle_10
02-08-2008, 02:37 AM
if hes really that bad in the eyes of the bears coaching staff then he needs straight up cut. thats how it SHOULD work....but it wont happen.

I agree 100% beer and the way Angelo is making it seem this will be a gradual process of him coming to the realization that Benson was simply a failed attempt at replacing a position we had no reason messing with in the first d_mn place. I'm really hoping for the truth to quickly unveil its ugly head (when Benson is whimpering on the bench).

doing that would be a sign that he was a catastrophic failure and at some point down the line, if JA or lovies job is on the line, that will be pointed to as mistake on their part and could lose them their job.

agreed and hopefully they can fix this failed attempt before its backfiring in their faces. Admitting failure isn't the problem..its understanding that and actually "doing" something to fix it. If they're smart and like their jobs they'll adjust and make the smart decision. This is what I'm expecting.

so unless and until someone else comes in and over the course of a good amount of time (it wont happen in one training camp) and truly beats him out for the job, we will just have to deal with him.

I don't see this as an ongoing issue. Given Angelo's statements and the lack of performance we've seen over the past year something has to be done for us to contend. If we don't address the RB position we will be in the top 15 draft again next season.

furthermore, drafting a running back in teh first round or signing a big money FA would also be a pretty good sign that benson is being given up on and is a failure.

Its right around the corner. It's going to happen..the question is when will the offseason officially start so we can get this hype all over with. lol!

so because they probably arent going to admit that he was a failure, then the next best course of action would be to bring in some olineman and receivers and maybe a QB to fix up the rest of the offense around him until the time comes when someone else steps up and overshadows him.

I'm under the impression that they will admit it. Angelo wasn't exactly defending Bensons performance as he usually does in the press conference. He seemed really concerned with the position as if to say..he hasn't proven jack sh_t to give me the idea that he can be the clearcut starter next year. If they were confident we'd hear those good ole Grossman statements. This isn't happening..I think they get the picture. Just my opinion though.

as of right now, and as much as many of you would like to see it, no one short of a first round pick or big money FA is going to dislodge him.

I beg to differ on that. Mark my words. If a rookie or top end FA comes to Chi-Town this will be the last season you've seen Benson as starter of the Chicago Bears.

it could happen that they take a RB in the 3rd round who comes in and looks like the next walter payton and outshines benson 10 fold but just because theres a far bigger investment in benson, he'd probably still get the shot at bieng starter initially....

Whether you or anyone wants to believe otherwise this mans job is in jeopardy. Regardless of the money he makes he hasn't proven to be starting capable. He cannot be relied on consistently and if someone who actually plays with drive comes to this team it will be a rude awakening for Benson as he can kiss his job goodbye. I can't wait for this to happen.

which is terrible but....thats how things go

hell im having trouble even thinking of non-first round running backs who earned the starting job as rookies. theres clinton portis....um.....idk who else.

you can point so some guys like jones-drew or marion barber as success stories but theyre not starting....

I agree with most of what you're saying but I disagree with the fact that they're just going to lay down and let Benson start because he's making money. Angelo is smarter than that. Benson isn't the answer and they're beginning to realize it. Ever since he's stepped in Chicago he's been an issue. Its only a matter of time before he's riding the bench. Time will tell.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 02:48 AM
His best days are cleary behind him..

pellepelle_10
02-08-2008, 02:57 AM

I agree partially. The O-Line is a problem and it needs fixed but we have 3 solid lineman on this team. Its not decimated like it was in 2002 when you couldn't name anyone except Kruetz as above marginal. We have had far worse seasons at O-Line and I do beleive A-Train STILL had 1000+yds with a 4.2 ypc while behind it. (and he was decent)

I can say it because when he's playing behind someone or when his job is threatened he plays like his balls are on fire. Thats why. Seattle he was running like a madman. Any other game he was dropping to the first tackler. This guy all season was getting run down by CB's and Safeties with no other near him. This is crap. Thomas Jones ran against stacked d-lines in his 2nd season and he still pulled out 4.0ypc. Lets not forget our qb's averaged a rating of 61.7 and our leading receiver had 699 yds. lmao

It is asinine to think that with a new RB our running game will magically turn around. Of course we need competition, but spending all our available money on a RB or using one of our top draft picks on a RB would be purely idiotic.

With a RB who has the ability and actually "plays" with some intensity I do believe our running game can turn around. If you didn't see this when Benson had a reason (his job) to do it he miracolously had us thinking seconds on the running game. Hell if ever week Angelo told him his job was on the line we may have seen an entirely different performance this year. This is in all honesty. The guy plays when its convenient for him. There is no motivation from him. He gets paid and takes up space.

We need to spend free agency and the draft looking for OLinemen. Offensive line is by far the most important position on the field and with a good OLine, you could put anyone at RB and make them look good. Just look at any RB who has played for the Broncos.

The bronco's is a bad assessment because they used our old and worn our Blake Brockermeyer to fill in a need and Portis still ran a clinic. Broncos runs good schemes and comparing any team to them would be a grave mistake. Offensive Line is an extremely important position as you've stated but the degree of need is way overblown. You make it seem as though every viable position is needed for upgrade. We're talking about Miller and Brown as serious problems on the offensive line. Not everyone. Garza is servicable. We can add youth to all positions but the degree of which you state our o-line is in need is way waaaaayy over blown. You have to make the RB accountable for making plays just as you do the line. Benson is a large part of this problem. If not pull out those 2004 stats where our qb's were sacked 66 times in a season. The whole offense was dreadful.

pellepelle_10
02-08-2008, 03:04 AM
precisely. hell, give me 5 HoF o-lineman and i could probably get to 1000 yards.....

Look at Shaun Alexander..thats the greatest example namable. he's marginal with a superior o-line his entire career. Now that they're mediocre he's fallen by the wasteside. IC you're rationale but its not the fact that he's not good..the biggest problem is that Cedric Benson has personal issues. Guys like him will wear on the rest of the players. There's a reason why he was targeted when TJ was still around..there's more to the story about him than many have let on. Just by listening to those stupid comments he makes is clear enough. He doesn't have sh_t to prove to anyone. He makes a ton of money and sat out because we didn't offer him enough, hasn't had one full season without getting injured (3 in a row), pouts when he doesn't have enough carries (goes into the film room during a game?!?), bitches when he does and can't do anything with it. C'mon..when does the guy take some accountability on himself. Enough with the bitching and moaning already Ceddy. Shut up and put up some d_mn numbers. We should have seen it when he was shedding tears in the draft. Ever since then its been an emotional rollercoaster for this man. Enough is enough.

bearsfan_51
02-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Well, first off, I said consistent passing game. Statistically speaking, our pass attack was decent. But was hardly consistent. The closest thing to consistent was Brian Griese sucking it up for 3 quarters until the 4th quarter.

And our blocking WAS that bad. I'd be shocked if we didn't lead the league in false starts and Fred Miller was a revolving door all season. Tait pretty much needs to go back to RT, Garza needs some competition, and we need to bring in a LG who isn't 93 years old or sucks... LG was the main reason why Kreutz had such a bad season.
You could go out there with a group of junior varsity players and a top 5 back should still get better than 3 yards per carry and only one carry over 20 yards.

Sorry but that's pathetic no matter who is blocking for you, particularly someone with an ego like Benson's.

BeerBaron
02-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree with most of what you're saying but I disagree with the fact that they're just going to lay down and let Benson start because he's making money. Angelo is smarter than that. Benson isn't the answer and they're beginning to realize it. Ever since he's stepped in Chicago he's been an issue. Its only a matter of time before he's riding the bench. Time will tell.

wow, that whole thing was a pretty decent breakdown of my post.

but this part i bolded...i would like to believe it but i also thought he was smart enough to not trade thomas jones....or quit it with the rex grossman BS.....or at least get something back for jones other than what is essentially dan bazuin and a 3rd rounder this year.

when it comes to defensive talent, he gets some real steals in the later rounds like alex brown, vasher, mark anderson....etc, so i like him for that. but he and this team just dont seem to have a clue on how to build/MAINTAIN an offense

pellepelle_10
02-08-2008, 01:04 PM
wow, that whole thing was a pretty decent breakdown of my post.

but this part i bolded...i would like to believe it but i also thought he was smart enough to not trade thomas jones....or quit it with the rex grossman BS.....or at least get something back for jones other than what is essentially dan bazuin and a 3rd rounder this year.

I agree Beer and there was a reason they let TJ go. One is becuase they just drafted Benson and he never had an opportunity to start. You can't just draft a 1st round player and cut him without even giving him a chance to start. Plus TJ wanted top salary and it wouldn't have made any sense to sign him to a huge contract not knowing what Benson was capable of. They had to justify the pick.

Now that he's had his chance to shine he's failed miserably. On top of that his attitude towards playing and critics who've actually proven something (Tony Dorsett and Gayle Sayers) have been terrible. He should be taking advice and playing his butt off. Instead he's bitching about what he doesn't have to do and proving absolutely nothing on the field. His ego is terrible and if many don't feel this guy is a problem waiting to happen think again. Lets not have him have some good seasons under his belt because you can bet he'd be the type of player to start ranting about needing new contracts. Cedric Benson is a cancer to this team.

when it comes to defensive talent, he gets some real steals in the later rounds like alex brown, vasher, mark anderson....etc, so i like him for that. but he and this team just dont seem to have a clue on how to build/MAINTAIN an offense

I think there's a lot of improvement needed with offensive talent. I totally agree. He has drafted some good offensive players though. Hester has been a gem (special teams/ still raw on offense). Berrian has become a solid WR if he can get a consistent qb throwing him the ball. He's easily a 1000yd receiver under a decent core. There's still question marks about Bradley and hopefully this year he'll get the chance to prove himself. The little bit we've seen from Olsen has shown good promise.

I think we can get on the right track with a good focused draft. I know many don't want to hear me speaking about drafting RB in the 1st but its a position we can really get a workhorse. Jonathan Stewart will be a stud in the NFL as will Mendenhall. The rest are good but these guys seperate themselves from the pack IMO. O-Line would be a possibility but I remain skeptical on JA's ability to pull the trigger in the 1st. I wouldn't mind it but I'd prefer getting one of the backs first. There will be good Tackles available in the 2nd and possibly the 3rd. We can wait on qb becuase the group just isn't as impressive as it seemed. JMO though.

pellepelle_10
02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
You could go out there with a group of junior varsity players and a top 5 back should still get better than 3 yards per carry and only one carry over 20 yards.

Sorry but that's pathetic no matter who is blocking for you, particularly someone with an ego like Benson's.

I couldn't agree more with this. There is no excuse for Bensons lackluster performances. We've had far worse o-lines and offenses than this years. Benson is his own worst enemy. He's played well against good defenses when he wanted to. Its just that his ego has gotten the best of him and our team hopefully will realize it before he's tarnished the team. Please lets just bring in a back that "wants" to play every down. Enough of these pre-madonna's demanding high contracts, throwing tantrums, and not proving sh_t when the lights are on.

BeerBaron
02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
you know, i dont disagree pelle pelle. id like to see jonathan stewart be the pick and come in right away and take over the job and relegate benson to the #2 back who gets under 10 carries a game. i would enjoy that highly.

but ive been arguing from the standpoint that i just dont see them admitting that benson was a failure just yet.....doing that would just just amplify his attitude problems to the point where the only course of action to shut him up would be to forcibly remove him from the team (aka cut his ass) but boy am i having trouble seeing that happening.

im not sure exactly how to explain it the way i see it....i just kind of feel that no matter what the bears do, benson is going to be given the first shot at the starting position and it would take a hell of an effort by a 1st round RB or someone other high profile signing to dislodge him from that. maybe a few weeks into the season any old person could do it...but hell, it could be too late by then

BeerBaron
02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
I couldn't agree more with this. There is no excuse for Bensons lackluster performances. We've had far worse o-lines and offenses than this years. Benson is his own worst enemy. He's played well against good defenses when he wanted to. Its just that his ego has gotten the best of him and our team hopefully will realize it before he's tarnished the team. Please lets just bring in a back that "wants" to play every down. Enough of these pre-madonna's demanding high contracts, throwing tantrums, and not proving sh_t when the lights are on.

oh and hey, its "prima donna" when referring to that, lol

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prima%20donna

i think its latin or something

pellepelle_10
02-08-2008, 05:42 PM
oh and hey, its "prima donna" when referring to that, lol

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prima%20donna

i think its latin or something

lol thanks for the grammer check bro. my bad. I hear where you're coming from. I'm hoping that they do realize it. If not it could be another long season. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they do get the hint and draft someone worthy of being the future of our franchise for years to come. They already messed an opportunity of having TJ be that one.

regoob2
02-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Ya they messed up Thomas Jones being the franchise back but we drafted Benson #4 overall and he's (was) a great talent and we have to see what we had in him. Ya it didn't work out but you can't blame them for trying. Benson looked real good at the end of the year behind Jones, and Jones wanted a new contract that the FO didn't want to pay.